Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru Crew Cafe

Comments

• ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    All that plus the hybrid stuff, too.
  • kurtamaxxxguykurtamaxxxguy Member Posts: 1,798
    '14 XT, so local techs told me, has adaptive engine/transimssion behavior, so after awhile, it adapts to your driving style.
    In my case, while not being aggressively driven, the vehicle's intelligent mode is becoming more responsive (quicker tip in). CVT also seems to respond more quickly.

Compared to the old 4-speed, the CVT's more responsive. However, the rare but beloved-by-enthusiasts "throttle stomp" ;) never brings immediate response from any Subaru I've driven.

FYI has anyone else here found the '14 XT seats firmer than the previous model year? :confuse:
    They've used adaptive transmissions for a while now.

Rolling in to the throttle seems to work better on Subarus. The only car I've owned that handles the quick stabs at the throttle well in my 08 Miata, it's incredibly responsive.

Worst was a 1980 Ford Mustang. Throttle was like an on/off switch. If you stomped, you got a good 2-3 seconds of hesitation, so much so that it was dangerous.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,142
    Please take a few minutes to answer our survey:
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/EdmundsForums

It's really important for us to hear from our members and visitors to get direction going forward. Only good things are planned for the future, but we need to gather insights to get there! Whether it's your first time or you're a regular, we'd love to hear from you.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? [email protected] - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

Almost every '14 Forester review disses the Nav system inherited from the BRZ, saying touch screen is klugey and hard to use. Unfortunately that's often true, and worse, it washes out when hit by sunlight.

However, what isn't said is Subaru put controls on the left side of the steering wheel that let you bypass many screen touches (you can select audio mode, volume, and walk up/down the station list.
    In fact, there are _many_ controls on the steering wheel, including selectors for the center dash display and (through that display) vehicle modes.
    That's good, but let's see a bigger screen. Competitors have 7" or even 8" screens.

The opening is double DIN sized, I think, so 7" should be a piece of cake. 8" would require a new surround.
  • fibber2fibber2 Member Posts: 3,786
    edited April 2013
    The "march to 20" rims" is basically a 'keeping up with the Joneses' problem. The auto writers seem to hone in on anything still delivered with 16" wheels as "inadequate". Why? Track test results? Form over Function.

My OBW came standard with 225/60-16, with all-season rubber. My winter tire package is 215/65-16. Yes, the handling is slightly sharper with the lower profile tires, but the ride is Sooooo much nicer with the 65 series.
  • volkovvolkov Member Posts: 1,306
    Testify!!
    I have ranted before about the silly big rim trend. Serves no real purpose other than looks in a non performance model. Replacements and snow tires can be ridiculously expensive. Make for a harsher ride. My WRX runs the stock 17's in Summer, but 16's in the winter, and I wouldn't have it any other way.
    Cold weather makes the tires harder anyway and with most of our roads very rough from uneven snow cover during a solid 3 months of our 6 months snow season, I appreciate the extra cushion.
    For the Miata I went to slightly taller tires, also for a better ride. No regrets.
  • sgloonsgloon Member Posts: 323
    Totally agree on the tires not shedding snow on my stock tires. I'm in CO and my wheel wells get so chock full of compacted snow that I think it affects the mileage. It also affects turning. I have also slid out on city streets with not much snow on them. Not at all like my old subie!

I really wish I had known the 16" rims were available for my 2010. The 17" make the car too tall for me not only to get into easily, but to put the canoe on top, etc. Even losing that 1" would be better. And wouldn't rollover possibility diminish some with the lower profile?

For those who switch to the 16" wheels for winter: Is it easy to reprogram the odometer, etc.?
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    For those who switch to the 16" wheels for winter: Is it easy to reprogram the odometer, etc.?

AFAIK, you can't reprogram the odometer/speedometer. You just have to know what your actual speed is vs the indicated speed.
    Yikes, that would be a worry. Do you know if the dealer can reprogram the odometer/speedometer, mpg, etc?
    edited April 2013
    Yikes, that would be a worry. Do you know if the dealer can reprogram the odometer/speedometer, mpg, etc?

The dealership probably can but if you change to a smaller diameter for snow tires, the difference would be a small percentage and not worth worrying about.
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,747
    Unless you did so intentionally, you wouldn't necessarily lose any ride height or change the speedometer's calibration appreciably. When going to 16" rims, you simply get tires that have a 1/2" taller sidewall.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    Yep, a Minus One, as the tire industry calls it.

I had 205/70R15 snows on my '98. 16" rims came with 60 series tires, so diameter was about the same.
    I think with Toyota's part ownership they're not taking any chances. Floor mats! funny...
    But sgloon feels the car is too tall for entry/exit, reaching the roof and that the wheel wells pack up with snow due to the large diameter so minus one sizing (with the same overall diameter) would still create all the issues he has.

IMHO, going to a smaller size to reduce height and diameter really won't make much of a difference.
    edited April 2013
    Right, but dropping to a smaller tire diameter.... enough to make an appreciable effect on the issues you cited, would have a huge impact on the car's calibration. With everything being electronic these days, I would think that stuff could be adjusted using a factory "scan tool," but others have said they are non-adjustable?

Bigger wheels do allow for bigger brakes, but since we can still put 16" wheels on these cars, what is the justification for 18? Kinda like the fins on Cadillacs about half a century ago..... :(

FWIW, I use the door sills as steps when securing overhead loads. The rear bumper shell also has a nice step for this purpose, assuming the bumper protector is installed. Otherwise, it can be slippery when wet!
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • volkovvolkov Member Posts: 1,306
    Smaller rims but larger aspect = same overall diameter but cushier ride.
  • grahampetersgrahampeters Member Posts: 1,786
    G'day

Having lusted after the Subaru BRZ and Toyota 86 since their introduction, I sat in one today. The shock was the discovery that the seats are too low and too tight for me.

I will just have to make do with my eight year old Toyota Kluger which seems to roll on cheaply from year to year. Now has 210,000km (about 130,000 miles) and is costing very little to run with today's service on AUD300. I have promised myself that I will replace it when it costs AUD3,000 in a month.

Cheers

Graham
    mike once famously said he wanted "paisan sized" seats in a vehicle. ;)
  • saedavesaedave Member Posts: 694
    The shock was the discovery that the seats are too low and too tight for me.

I also sat in one recently: seats too low, too tight, too hard. It makes my Forester feel like a limo!

My local dealer for quite some time has had no takers for two of them.
    Seats have little bolstering and seem pretty hard, could be tilted towards door as my shoulders keep hitting right side of seat.

Navigation display would benefit enormously from being OLED (LCD washes out in sun). Steering wheel controls for nav/entertainment are handy, while voice commands are sluggish and error prone.

Subaru dealers apparently have no parts lists for the '14's yet so if something breaks, they can't order anything. Service training for these is just starting. Apparently this is becoming a major trend with new model releases (GM does same thing, etc.). :sick:

Consumers Union's hinting '14 Forester ride's deteriorated. Not sure what they mean. The XT's definitely firmer than before: you'll feel undulations and road surface. But actual bumps or potholes seem well damped. The '09 XT I had would kick up, crash and rattle its rear end over speed bumps, while the '14 simply absorbs most of bump without fuss.

XT's engine's burning no oil whatsoever :) .

Floor mats have showed no sign of curling, but they'll be replaced once the dealer gets the recall parts.
    It handles better and corners flatter, so there had to be some trade off.

CR complained about the tech, too.

I think Subaru needs a full reboot. Just partner with Toyota and use Entune. That system uses your smart phone, so no monthly fees. The option is affordable, too.
  • dcm61dcm61 Member Posts: 1,567
    Thanks for the frequent updates, but ... you should be posting them in the 2014 Forester topic.
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    Yeah it's nice on my BMW and Jag it goes in .1 mile increments. Always bothered me that the subie ones were in .3 increments.

-mike paisan
    http://AZPInstalls.com
    http://AZPTrackEvents.com
    I actually told the CEO of SOA that a few years before the 2010 Legacy came out. He told me through his translator, that the next legacy would be "Paisan" sized!

He was right, they just failed to put the proper HP in the H6 model and the wrong size brakes... :(

-mike paisan
    "Thanks for the frequent updates, but ... you should be posting them in the 2014 Forester topic. "

Didn't know that topic existed...done. Thanks.
    It also waits a mile before displaying any average at all.

Else you could zero the odometer, coast down hill, and get 99mpg. :D
    Yeah that's what happens with any of these systems for the first 5 or so miles they are using the skewed fuel consumption for those miles. Like the gas station is uphill from my house so if I fill up on my way home, I get like 50mpg until I go back up the hill!

-mike
    Before you sell it, drive it home gingerly and show them the MPG you can get. LOL
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    ...and may be the most honest used car ad ever.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/05/11/subaru-craigslist-ad-detroit-funny_n_32- 59522.html

kcram - Pickups/Wagons/Vans+Minivans Host
    Just wondering if other Subaru CVT drivers have noticed surging/oscillation in their CVT's after their vehicles have broken in? :confuse:

The '14 XT I drive surges/oscillates a little in sport mode, and is sometimes confused if I slow down, coast a bit and then accelerate (that situation sometimes produces a lurch).
    First I've heard that one. Most complaints are about too much engine braking going down hills.
  • jd_24jd_24 Member Posts: 92
    I haven't noticed anything with my Impreza's CVT with over 21K miles. Seems smooth to me.
    I think part of the issue is that folks are using the sport setting incorrectly.

Back in the old days (8-10 years ago) the sport modes in most Automatics produced a more sporty shift mode and harder shifts but nothing crazy. Nowadays the sport modes are meant for hard driving. I found this out on both my 335ix and my XJ. If I drive it in sport mode, I will experience lurching, and the gears will be held almost to redline. When I drove the OB with the CVT I experienced similar reactions when I put the CVT into sport mode.

-mike
    CVT in general works quite well in '14XT. Doesn't drone much and is more responsive than the older 4 EAT it replaced.

But, '14 XT CVT gets weird in sport# mode: while CVT tries to stay in gears longer and doesn't upshift as quickly, it will still upshift to top of its range if user is cruising at moderate speeds. It is as if Subaru were still trying to get maximum MPG out of CVT even when in sport# mode. Unfortunately that slows down responsiveness (CVT has to re-ratio itself before vehicle will actually accelerate). :surprise:
    Might be better if CVT in sport# stayed a couple of steps below tallest ration to maximize responsiveness. If user _wants_ maximum MPG, simply stay in intelligent or sport modes.

Also, CVT in sport# sometimes gets confused and can give vehicle a hard lurch after a moderate slowdown :surprise:
    Scored highest in its class, by a wide margin it's their new Top Pick.

0-60 improved by nearly 2 seconds (4EAT vs. CVT), and mileage went up from 22 to 26mpg.

That's better than the old 5MT, which got a decent 24mpg.

Heck, 26mpg ties the previous Escape hybrid!
  • lilbluewgn02lilbluewgn02 Member Posts: 1,089
    We were, Steve. He graduated in Feb. and started work yesterday at Saatchi Health, the division that gets all the pharma ad dollars.
    Top pick, I think is for safety mainly.

I have the "old" 5MT and get way better mpg than rated... instead of the 24 or 26, I think the lowest avg I've gotten (per the gauge) is ~28mpg. Best is about 32mpg. They say the 2014AT get better mpg than the 6MT? Not sure if I believe that. Comments?

I did recently test drive the 2014, and got a $30 gift certificate to a store I frequent! It is a lot quieter vehicle. Sound system is better, handling on corners appears better. Don't like that I can't get a MT with the big sunroof. What's with that?

Not in the market yet anyway as I have a 2010, although I really love how much quieter the 2014 is!!!
    Generally the manuals have done better than the autos no matter what the EPA numbers said.

Having said that, the CVTs are far better than the old slush boxes.

No Premium 6MT any more? My brother has a 2011 model IIRC.
    No Premium 6MT any more?

Yes there is, but weird packaging.

Premium 6MT = Standard AWP, no Moonroof (not even an option).
    Premium CVT = Optional AWP, standard Moonroof.
    Yes it was the no moonroof on the premium 6MT that was stopping me in my tracks. As you mention, it was not even an option. The 2014 moonroof is a fair bit smaller than the one on my 2010.

I really don't want to buy an automatic. Yet, I really like the moonroof.
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    On Legacys and Outbacks, if you have a dead battery and the electronic parking brake is engaged, you could have problems releasing the brake. See Joe Spitz's link for solution.

http://www.cars101.com/subaru/parkingbrakerelease.html

Bob
    Electronic parking brake; what gimmicky junk! :mad:
    That was just 1 of the numerous turnoffs that eliminated the Outback from my list of contenders.

#1 being the "full-figured" body. :D
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    edited June 2013
    I've actually got a '13 Outback in my driveway right now. It's a dealer loaner as our Forester is in for the 7500-mile service.

The Outback is pretty nice, even though this one is a base model. Had a '12 loaner a couple of weeks ago while my WRX was being serviced, but this one seems nicer. Noticed the driver's seat seems to bettter bolstered than the '12 model. Also, this car is much quieter on the highway than my WRX. That's becoming more important to me. Must be getting old. ;)

Bob
  • hondafriekhondafriek Member Posts: 2,984
    edited June 2013
    That's a definite sign that you are getting older Bob :cry: . I had a love hate relationship with our Protege 5. The thing handled well, cornered like it was on rails, but Geez was it noisy. I went the route of sound deadening, completely gutted the interior and covered all panels including the roof with B Quiet sound deadening then reinstalled everything.

It was a big job and frankly the end result was less than satisfactory, I just couldn't take the noise any more and much to Rita's chagrin I sold it. She loved it, but I am into quiet now and that is a big consideration in any car purchase I will make in future. I tried the regular Impreza before settling on the Mazda3 Gt hatch. The Impreza was noisier than I wanted.
    Granted the Mazda3 is no Lexus in terms of quiet, but is streets ahead of the Protege5 that it replaced and way quieter than the Impreza.

Cheers Pat.
  • jfljfl Member Posts: 1,396
    For me, the noise was often from the tires. If I were willing to settle for non-M+S rated tires, my cars would be much quieter.

It also seemed worse (louder) when sitting in the back seat of my Legacy. (So if I'm sitting in the back, I grab the iPod!)

My daughter just got a Mazda3 hatchback. I didn't notice the noise when I test drove it.