Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subaru Crew Cafe

Comments

• nygregnygreg Posts: 1,936
    what time is dinner?? Sounds great.

My brother in law loves to cook. He is bringing over a turkey cooked in peanut oil in an outdoor cooker. He'll be cooking in a snow storm - should be fun.

Greg
  • jfljfl Posts: 1,346
    It's just the dog and me at home this Christmas. I'm thinking of a half rack of lamb and salad for dinner. The other half rack will become lamb chops later in the week. If the weather is good, may grill the chops first and have the rack second.

Being able to eat whatever I want is a rare opportunity.

Jim
  • ladywclassladywclass Posts: 1,684
    It was all great, and we had a nice visit ...

This has been a 'rough' year for the b/f's parents (and in case it's not that 'clear', the b/f and I bought a house together this year, so it's a very committed relationship!). In August, the oldest daughter who had just turned 50 (and had lived near parents all her life) died. Then in early October, their dog who had been the 'baby' for about 15 years died. Early yesterday morning, the b/f's mother's mother died. She had Alzheimer's and had been in a nursing home for about 6 years and was 91 years old. His mother was with her as she'd had problems all day on Monday, and she said she just "slipped away" about 8 yesterday morning. They had already planned to be here with us for Xmas eve and Xmas, and as nothing could really be arranged til after Xmas they came anyway (from about 2 hours away).
    My heart just goes out to this family for the year of loss they have had ...
    My wife's family has had a very difficult last 2 years. I can understand what your significant other's family (and you) are going through. This millenium has not started out as hoped, in fact it has been a horrible start. Although my wife and I don't care for champagne, I bought a bottle for Jan 1 and hope it helps improve things going forward. Perhaps this will teach us all a lesson - what to be really thankful for.

Merry Christmas,
    Greg
  • lark6lark6 Posts: 2,565
    ...hope everyone had a nice Christmas.

Thought of paisan this morning when I read this article in the Phila. Inquirer:

http://www.philly.com/mld/inquirer/classifieds/automotive/4813743.htm

It doesn't seem likely that Isuzu will continue in the US market much longer. Nothing in the article is news to anyone who has followed the story, really.

Ed

• paisanpaisan Posts: 21,181
    It's been long in the running that Isuzus marketing is horrible and their MSRPs were high with heavy discounts. I'm not too worried since my Trooper will last me at least another 5-6 years maybe more if I drive the SVX more. After that I'm sure there will be something to catch my eye, maybe a used Land Cruiser :)

How was everyone's Christmas?

-mike
  • cusafrcusafr Posts: 184
    In my opinion, Isuzu makes a great vehicle but has gotten little or no respect. Just look at some of the trash that other car companies sell and compare them to the Rodeo. This situation reminds me of Nissan not long ago. If they had a Carl Goshen (sp?) at Isuzu, my bet is things would change for the better quickly.

CUSAFR
    My concern is how this affects Subaru in Indiana. Overhead costs are distributed across production volume. Produce less and overhead per unit goes up. Even though Isuzu will be paying millions to SIA, we don't know if it's enough to cover overhead. Will Subaru need to raise prices due to potentially increased production costs?

Jim
  • rshollandrsholland Posts: 19,663
    it's just a matter of time before everything that comes out of the Indiana factory will be Subarus. Isuzu, as a seller of SUVs here in America, will disappear within 3 years, if not sooner.

Bob
  • p0926p0926 Posts: 4,423
    Just got back from the folks house in western NC. We had a dusting of snow on Christmas morning but it was at least enough to set the mood. The Christmas dinner entree was rare roast beast (yum!).

Colin- Here's hoping that 2k3 will be a better year for you! Keep taking one day at a time and you'll be fine.

-Frank P.
    I went there yesterday afternoon. As usual, a mediocre show, at best. The DC auto show is actually the last of this year's auto shows. All the concept vehicle there have been seen before at other shows. Rarely is there anything new being shown for the first time, although occasionally there may be a surprise or two, but not his year. The new auto show season kicks off in a couple of weeks with both LA and Detroit.

Comments:

• The Honda Element stirred a *LOT* of interest. There were people crawling all over the 2 Elements on display.

• Sat in the Nissan Murano. While a great looking vehicle, I see it as style over substance. I do like the standard 18" wheels and the CVT tranny. It's being marketed as an "Urban SUV." That pretty much says it all...

• Infiniti had the QX45 on display. The rep I spoke to working the the display, didn't know diddly about the vehicle...

• GMC had a cut-away of their upcoming Envoy XUV. Besides the power sliding rear roof, there is a power mid-gate window, which is part of the folding rear seat. This give the cargo area the ability to be completely sealed off from the passenger area. The brochure even said it could be hosed out, and/or left open in the rain, just like a pickup bed!

• Had a chance to really look over the Kia Sorento. Very impressive indeed—especially for the price! Kia has a real winner here.

• The Subie display was a disappointment. All they had on display were: 3 Foresters, 2 Bajas, 2 WRXs (sedan & wagon), 1 LL Bean wagon, 1 base Outback wagon, and 1 Legacy SE sedan. There was no Outback Sport or Legacy GT on display. Only the Forester lineup was fully represented in terms of models. Unlike the Honda Element, hardly anybody was looking at the Baja. Really pretty sad...

Bob
  • locke2clocke2c Posts: 5,038
    All,

Thanks for the continued kind words. I had a great Christmas since I had my health and a few quality days with friends and family. My jaw isn't "right" but isn't getting inflammed and causing migranes any more. Went in for xrays and molds today, next visit with the doc is 1/6.

I visited the ex-inlaws late xmas eve at my ex-MIL's request. It wasn't at all awkward, although Toni (the MIL) did get a little emotional at times. It was also great to see Lisa's sister Lora and her husband Burton. They're expecting their first child in March, and I've been trying to stay updated on that. Good people, I'm happy to stay friendly with them.

When I returned to work yesterday I had an email waiting for me from an ex-girlfriend... the one I referred to in post #2858. She basically just said hi, Merry Christmas, here's some things I've been up to, Happy New Year. So I replied back in an equally lighthearted way but I suspect she's on vacation. I'm now trying to decide if I should 'return home' to the church where she goes Sunday, because I know there's a good chance I'll find her there.

Trying to discern what He would have me do...

-Colin
  • lark6lark6 Posts: 2,565
    ...it confirms that most posters do so on the job (shhh...).

Ed
  • lucien2lucien2 Posts: 2,984
    jeez, I'm still trying to figure out what He would drive!! =8^O j/k

I think you did the right thing emailing her back. Going back to the same church on Sunday could send a louder message than you want to right now; but then again maybe you want to. You seem more anxious to reestablish contact here than you did over in OT. I guess that is the deciding factor- how willing you are to show your hand this soon after it got burned. Me? I never did learn to stay down, so I'd prolly end up rolling over there Sunday. :)
  • subearusubearu Posts: 3,613
    <unprofessional analysis>

You can make (or at least help) a situation anything you want it to be. Your message seems to be saying that you'd at least like to see her. What harm is that? I'd probably do the same in those shoes.

</unprofessional analysis>

My name is Brian, and, I, errr, post, from work. ;-)

-Brian

Loosh-- yeah I did blab about this a lot more in nasioc OT. I've blabbed about this ex-girlfriend a lot there in the past, so I figured what the heck.

Brian-- under the right terms you bet I'd like to see her. although the one time I did see her face-to-face after she stopped returning my calls I was very pissed off. she acted like nothing had happened... I played along too.

Maybe I'll have interesting news come Sunday night.

-Colin
    All's quiet on the western front. It's about 1.5 weeks till the Detroit & LA auto shows, and juice is away...

Bob
  • hondafriekhondafriek Ottawa CanadaPosts: 2,924
    I believe that if you truly live life to the fullest you have to leave yourself open to the possibility of being hurt.

And I am with Loosh nothing ventured, nothing gained, go there Sunday and leave yourself open to the possibility that this time you will click.

Good luck, Cheers Pat,
    Colin, in post 2858, you mentioned early service at 8:45...is there a slightly later service you can attend? I surely wouldn't want to get-up that early on a Sunday!

BTW, attend church to receive God's message. Everything else is either a blessing or something to make you stronger (a trial). Remember, He won't test us beyond our ability to endure.

Years ago, a guest speaker at our church said he never prays for patience because he didn't want to go thru the trials to develop patience.

Jim
    Jim--

yes, the 11 AM service is the one in which I had been attending with Deanna. I'd been avoiding her and thus that service, but was unable to get up early enough for the 8:45 so I'd tried many other churches. Catholic mass is interesting. My mentor's Church of Christ probably felt closest to something I could call home besides the place I started and was baptized in.

-Colin
    I would probably go for it if it was me. Now that christmas is over the church should be empty enough for you to find her (sorry, pet peeve).

Greg
  • joybelljoybell Posts: 275
    After having two wonderfull Subies rust out before they wore out (though they did last 10 years each), I would like to rustproof my new Impreza (don't have it yet but will soon). What is the best method of doing this, where is it done, how often, and what material is used? Also, my mom would like to rustproof her 1998 Impreza (has no rust yet), but I think it might be too late. This is probably not the place to discuss this topic, but I don't know where to go!
    Stay away from Ziebart and all the rest of the wax based rustproofing they do not work period, and can actually make the car rust quicker by blocking up drain holes.

I have had every car I owned rustproofed with either Krown rust proofing rust check is another one, or any of the other ev nironmently friendly oil treatments, I have always owned Hondas before buying Subaru, I have sold all my cars at around 10 years old and all were rust free.

The oil treatment is done yearly, It costs me $100 CDN. per year.I do not know if you have similar places in the your area but I would recommend this as the way to go.

Cheers Pat.
  • joybelljoybell Posts: 275
    Is it too late for my mom to oil-treat her 5 year old car? Would it cover some small rust spots and let them grow under the oil coat (as I think might happen)?
    was a big problem for Japanese cars 10-20 years ago. I don't think it's an issue now.

Bob
    Just tried logging on to the I-Club (not nasioc), and the site could not be found?! Anybody else have the same problem?

Bob
    Its never too late with Krown and rustcheck rustproofing, while they will not cure rust that has started they do slow down the spread, have your moms car done it is well worth it.

The nice thing about having it done on a new car is that it makes mechanics life much simpler as the car ages it prevents nuts and bolts seizing due to rust. B.T.W. what part of Canada are you in?
    Cheers Pat.
    Au Contraire Bob, they still rust, I saw a 4 year old Impreza today with an advanced case of the rusties on the left rear door and signs of rust starting in a couple of other places.

I spoke to the owner and the rust started on the door where the skin is folded over the frame, he did try to address the problem through his dealer but was told that the rust is surface not perforated.he did have it sandblasted and painted once at his expense but because the rust is in the seam it quickly returned.

Technically it is surface but the door will be total junk by the time is considered a perforation, while I agree that cars are better than they were, I still believe they need all the help they can get in this inhospitable climate that is Canada in the winter.

Cheers Pat.
    I think the rusting that Joybell was referring to was *huge* problem years ago. I'm sure rust can still be a problem&#151;with any car, under the right circumstances. In fact, I had an F-150 rust away, because it was parked in a damp area, for long periods at a time. I just think current Subies, and other Japanese brands, are far less susceptible today, than in the past.

Bob