Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru Crew Cafe

Comments

• rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    Lawrence Welk...

Bob
  • lilbluewgn02lilbluewgn02 Member Posts: 1,089
    http://www.nytimes.com/2002/05/29/business/29HOME.html

Bob, with tastes like that, I'm going to have to ask for impeachment hearings!

• kate5000kate5000 Member Posts: 1,271
    aren't you glad you live in dirty cheap Florida, Serge?
    Dirty and cheap it ain't....the good thing is our house has increased in value approx $80k since we had it built. The only problem is to sell it to someone who knows how to vote and whose cash is not covered in cocaine powder (j/k).
    Which mystery writers do you read or listen to..any of the ones on my list are highly recommended.
  • barresa62barresa62 Member Posts: 1,379
    in the WRX at the moment:

Discs
    1) 2001 Dance Club Anthems, vol 1
    2) 2001 Dance Club Anthems, vol 2
    3) 2001 Dance Club Anthems, vol 3
    4) Enya
    5) Kylie Minogue
    6) Soul Hits of the 60's/70's (my former co. did this for Old Navy)

BTW, one of my favorite traveling CD's is my ABBA Gold CD.

Kate: Have you ever checked the group "Bjorn Again". They are ABBA reincarnated...scary real and lots of fun!!

Stephen
    My 6-CD changer currently holds:

1 Sarah Brightman (Andrew Lloyd Webber Collection)
    2 John Denver
    2 John Denver
    3 John Denver (3-CD Country Roads Collection)
    4 Moody Blues
    5 Charlotte Church
    6 Lee Ann Rimes

Bob
  • armac13armac13 Member Posts: 1,129
    this is what came out:
    1. Holst - The Planets
    2. Eric clapton - Unplugged
    3.Lippa Jazz Band
    4.Doobie Brothers
    5. Carole King - City Streets
    6. Jethro Tull

Ross
  • goldencouple1goldencouple1 Member Posts: 209
    Me:

Steely Dan; Dylan; Led Zepplin; Bonnie Rait; Ry Cooder, Bruce (BRUUUUUUUUUUUCE!)Springsteen, Joni Mitchell; Six-Pence None the Richer; U2; REM.

My Wife:

Indigo Girls; Bruce (BRRRUUUUUUCCCCE!) Springsteen; Paul Simon; U2; REM.
  • artgeckoartgecko Member Posts: 78
    1. My daughter's newish Creed CD
    2. My daughter's new Incubus CD
    3. The CD you get for test driving a New Beetle (music from the commercials including some Jazz, blues, and yes, the Da, Da, Da song.
    4. A mix of punk stuff I D/L'd from MP3s (Good Charlotte, Saves the Day, Mest, Remy Zero, Goldfinger, Reliant K, etc.)
    5. A little harder version of the above (Linkin Park, POD, Alien Ant Farm, Disturbed, Hoobastank, Limp Bizkit, System of a Down <-weird!)
    6. A really bizzare collection of downloads (Propellorheads, Daft Punk, Fat Boy Slim, Johnny Winter and White Trash, Kraftwerk, Brian Setzer Orchestra, Butthole Surfers, Offspring, No Doubt, etc.)

And yes, I am 49..I listen to classical, but not classic rock, punk but not rap, country, but not opera (except Wagner), and kiddy tunes with the 5 year old.

Steve
  • hammersleyhammersley Member Posts: 684
    If I HAD a CD player...:)

The radio buttons go to classic rock, oldies, light rock, jazz, and NPR. Books on tape either put me to sleep or I can't concentrate on the book and my driving, although I can listen to talk/sports radio with no problem... go figure!

Cheers!
    Paul
  • jay_24jay_24 Member Posts: 536
    Bob,

most people would get on you for all that John Denver...Personally I like it.

If memory serves right I'm somewhere between Juice and Bob.

Barney
    80's mix from MP3s
    Sesame Street
    another 80's mix from MP3s
    John Denver (mix from 4 cd box set)
    Dances with wolves/last of the mohicans (mix)

--jay
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    How do people catch this stuff on tape? It's hilarious. Truth is stranger than fiction.

I have a books on tape of Dave Berry, and couldn't get into it, even though his writing is hilarious. I guess I prefer it in print.

I cut my own CDs, and mostly it's plain ol' pop.

-juice
    I know a lot of people don't care for his music. I'm not one of them.

Bob
    Sunshine...

He's huge in Brazil. It was odd because his music was "launched" there in the late 80s and he enjoyed almost cult-like status there.

-juice
    It's strange, people either love his music, or they hate it. Go figure...

Bob
  • originalbitmanoriginalbitman Member Posts: 920
    Salsiccia with sourdough bread and peppers and onions at midnight. Of course a big bowl of Ripples with French Onion dip for a snack earlier.

bit
  • lark6lark6 Member Posts: 2,565
    Books on tape are tough for me for some reason. I've only listened to three: Tom Wolfe's "A Man in Full," James Carville's "We're Right - They're Wrong" (or whatever the title was), and David Sedaris' "Naked."

Ed
    GM and Fiat are bitter rivals in Brazil, where the Palio and Corsa battle for volume sales.

Whatever keeps GM's paws off Subaru, I'm in favor of. ;-)

-juice
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    IIRC. The General gets more and more stuff.

If they only brought in some of the foreign cars to the US market.

-mike
    I'm not sure the Fiat lineup would sell here, they are mostly tiny fuel misers. My mom had an Uno and now drives a Palio, they are Geo Metro-sized.

My brother had a Tempra sedan, which is maybe Civic-sized, if that. It was OK but would not meet US quality standards.

One funny thing - in those markets you will see "premium" small cars. They'll load up those tiny little cars, it's hilarious. But they wouldn't fly in this country, where gas is closer to free than it is to the prices they pay, and distances tend to be farther too.

-juice
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    I think a lot of it depends on the reader. If they aren't "into it", it's very easy to them out. The best I've ever heard is the guy who does the Harry Potter series. Every character has a different and distinct voice.
  • kate5000kate5000 Member Posts: 1,271
    Thanks Serge for the list. I read most of Tony Hillerman stories and some of Kaminsky. Need to try others.
    I used to like Patricia Cornwell's "Scarpetta" series but her books sort of deteriorated lately. Still, I wish they had someone in DC like Ms Scarpetta... She would have resolved Chandra's mystery looong time ago!
    Karen: yes, Jim Dill is incredible. At first, I was a bit tired of his British accent, but after 1/2 hour got totally into it!
  • miksmimiksmi Member Posts: 1,246
    Kraftwerk
    Alan Parsons (sadly,last yearmoved from UK to CA and stopped writing music)
    B-52s
    R.E.M.
    Seal
    Wings (Paul McCartney)
    Beatles

..Mike

..Mike

I'm all over the place but Mike's looks closest. I graduated from the U. of Georgia in the early 1980's and hence a contemporary of the B's and Messrs. Berry, Buck, Mills and Stipe (met Buck and Stipe a few times though doubt they'd recognize me today). The Athens music scene c.1980-85 was a great one and one that colors my music appreciation to this day.

It surprises me pleasantly that the "old time" music I was exposed to as a child is finding a new audience due to the "O Brother!" phenomenon. Bluegrass and folk are fine, much better than what passes for modern country which IMO isn't that far removed from pop. A lot of people don't like the lyrics or melodies but you can't deny the craftsmanship.

Strangely enough I'm about played out with blues and jazz, and I don't know why but I liked classical much more as a child and teenager than I do now. I guess "alternative" and "singer-songwriter" would be the best description of the genres I listen to most often today.

I spend most of my time now split between finding new stuff and "rediscovering" the old.

Ed
  • seayakkerseayakker Member Posts: 57
    here's what's in my cd carrier at the moment:

O Brother Where Art Thou
    Immortal Beloved soundtrack
    Tracy Chapman
    Django Reinhardt
    Tibetan Incantations
    Laurie Anderson
    enya
    Alison Krauss
    Monsoon Wedding soundtrack
    Sita
    Eric Clapton Unplugged

so what ocd person is going to compile a list of the 10 most popular artists amongst subie drivers? ?
    Ed, pretty cool to have met R.E.M. Alan Parsons did a concert a few years ago in Baltimore in small venue; I was 10 feet from the stage. What a blast! I didn't wait in line for autographs but listened to him talk to the fans. Very nice guy.

..Mike

..Mike

for Emerson, Lake and Palmer at Madison Square Garden...got one of Carl Palmer's drumsticks...wish I still had it.
    The best famous musician story for me....
    When I was living in Israel, I worked for the Israeli govt Educational TV station. Chick Corea, on a tour in Israel, came to the TV station to do one of the shows. I was picked to serve as his translator; Got to sit next to him as he played piano, got to see the concert, etc. He is a really nice guy, very down to earth. I took lots of pics. Flash Forward around 4 years to Central Park...Chick Corea, Herbie Hancock, and Wynton Marsalis are giving a free concert. During intermission, I brought my photos with me and went up to the security fence. I asked the guard if I could talk to Chick, and showed him the photos. He said to wait...a few minutes later, along comes Chick, Herbie, and Wynton...I was floored! He remembered me and we talked for a few minutes about that show. I gave him some of the photos, and we said goodbye.
    Another story, next week kids....Linda Ronstadt.
    Saw Sade live earlier this year, she was fantastic. Took hours to get home though, I don't have the patience to do that again. I prefer a smaller venue than the Pavillion she played in.

-juice
    I was attending the University of South Florida -- most famous for it's prison-like architecture. There was a Friday night concert: Blue Oyster Cult, Papa John Creetch...and some local guy. We're sitting there, waiting...and waiting... And getting more and more...what's the word? Whoa...look at all the lines on my hand...wow... Man...oh, the colors.... Anyway, no Blue Oyster Cult. No Papa John Creetch. But the local guy showed up and says he'll play all night if we want...he's just happy to be there. So we're sending liquor up to the stage, and beer, and what-not, and having an incredible time. This guy was great. And the local guy did play and play and play...and that's all I remember... he was there and he played. Then later that night I came out of a stupor, looked at my watch, and remembered I had to go to the airport to pick my sister up...she was coming in from Boston really late. And I told her about the concert when I saw her and she said who was playing and I said, "I don't know, some guy from the Keys...Jimmy something...kind of a funny name...Jimmy Buffet, that was it..." and then we saw him in the airport, he was with his band and they were packing beer and liquor bottles around one of the band guys sitting in a wheelchair, and they put a blanket over his lap and headed for their plane.
    Hilarious. He appears in "Elmopalooza", one of the more tolerable kids videos. It's a musical and he sings "Carribean Amphibian" with Kermit the Frog.

OK I'll stop now.

-juice

PS USF = U Stay Forever! My best man went to the Tampa campus
    1992 or 93... My wife was working on her Pharm.D. and I was practicing in South West Florida...Naples. There was a Bruce Springsteen concert in Orlando. My wife was in St. Pete, the Veteran's Hospital, on a rotation for a month. I left work about 3:30 PM, hit the hospital about two hours later (about 170 miles), my wife was in the parking lot waiting for me (by her Subaru Justy) and jumped in the car. We took I-275 to Tampa and picked up I-4 and headed for Orlando. And it started to rain as it can rain only in Florida of an evening -- sheets of water and lightening -- real crack of doom kind of rain. We parked, ran for the arena, and found our seats just as Bruce started. At 1 AM we left and Bruce was not finished...we ran down the stairs of the arena to "Born to Run" (I swear it's true). Back to St. Pete on the nearly deserted, yellow-lit interstate. Dropped the wife at her car and waited for the Justy to crank -- then back to the interstate. Hit Naples about 5 AM. Showered. Breakfast. Office. Stare at files. Stare out window. Stare at secretary...who's here? Why? Oh...of course...bring'em back...and more coffee please, all you got. Pray for 6 PM (respectable time to leave office). Home. Sleep. BRUUUUUUUUCE!
    Bruce puts on a great concert...saw him at the Garden.
    The very first concert I ever went to was Jimi Hendrix in 1967 at Westchester County Civic Center in White Plains.
    How about the rest of you fine folks?...first concerts...
    I think mine was the Kool & the Gang back in the early 80s, good fun. Also saw the Outfield, A-Ha, New Order, Hooters, Paula Abdul. Probably a few other 80s pop bands.

-juice
    I moved to Hawaii (supposedly just for the summer of 1970....but I ended up staying for 6 years) and that first summer was [ahem] a bit of a blur.

Saw lots of great music at some of the smaller venues - there was a bar in the "concrete jungle" of Waikiki whose name escapes me, but I remember hearing Santana there every time he was in town - and yes, I do have stories lol!

The first big concert I remember from that summer was Janis Joplin in the Arena - bittersweet since she died just a few months after.

The ARena wasn't a big place at all by today's standards, but still I'm with you juice - the smaller the venue the better!
  • nygregnygreg Member Posts: 1,936
    I was at the Boss' last concert (last year) at the Garden. Bunch of friends took a limo to see him. Typical Bruce - he really appreciates his fans. Sorry, many of today's younger artists don't have the same commitment to their fans.

Anyone ever hear of Renaissance (Annie Haslam)? They are an older band (no longer playing) that fuse classical and rock. Absolutely love their music. Juice - I have one of Annie's latest CDs which is live from Brazil. She wrote a song called Brazilian Skies for that concert.

Other music I enjoy: John Cougar Mellancamp, Starship, Airplane (they're different), Celine Dion, Billy Joel, Dido. Getting into some country lately too. Think I need to get a Dundie cowboy hat.

Greg
  • storytellerstoryteller Member Posts: 476
    Seayakker: Your CD list is awesome! That's just the stuff I play! My stack might have a Leo Kottke CD in it too, and sometimes the Roches. I love your taste.

Steve
  • lucien2lucien2 Member Posts: 2,984
    Had a great voice, good guitar chops, good songwriting ability, and lousy spatial perception. So no foul on Bob for that choice.

Now Charlotte and LeAnn on the other hand..... =8^o ;^) j/k

In my Official Subaru Disc holder right now:

new Rufus Wainwright
    Wilco-Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
    Velvet Underground- box set #2
    Radiohead-Amnesiac
    U2- Everything you can't leave behind
    Travis- the Man Who
    Gomez- Bring it On
    Son Volt- trace
    B-Boys- Paul's Boutique
    Beethoven- Symphonies 1-4 Berlin Phil with Karajan at the helm
  • lucien2lucien2 Member Posts: 2,984
    Saw Radiohead at the 9:30 in DC after the lighting filled Tibetan Freedom Concert Fried Spectator Cook Off at RFK. To my right-Mike Mills. To my left- Crist Novicelic (ouch on the spelling...ex-nirvana drummer turned lobbyist). Behind- Brad and Jennifer, yowza, you two a couple or what? Went to pee and had to stare at the same wall as Peter Buck, at the stall next to me.

Oh and we opened for Hootie and the Blowfish in 1994. *shrug*
  • artgeckoartgecko Member Posts: 78
    1st Concert was Chicago at Veteran's Memorial, Columbus, Ohio, in 1969, long before they became a middle of the road pop band.

Next up was Queen about a year or two later, still no synthesizers.

Musical close calls: a tiny bar in Toledo in 1975 when I attended BGSU. Badfinger played for 3-1/2 hours about ten feet from our table.

On GM and bringing Fiat cars to the US: Remember what all companies Fiat owns, and who GM could align them with; Chevy and Fiat, GMC and those neat big FIAT trucks, Buick and Lamborghini, and in this corner, the Pontiac and the Ferrari 550 Maranello Coupe! Scuderia Aztek!

Steve
    So Loosh has had a far more recent Pete Buck encounter than I, and when he was more famous, too.

Enjoy France!

Ed
  • fibber2fibber2 Member Posts: 3,786
    They were not my very first, but close to it. They did a great show up at my college (Clarkson - Potsdam, NY) in 1978. Annie was incredible back then. We have a few of their albums (vinyl & CD). She still performs small venues - we saw her at the 'Town Crier Cafe' in Pawling maybe 3 years ago? She still has a decent voice.

Steve
  • locke2clocke2c Member Posts: 5,038
    I drove 190ish miles in the early morning yesterday to Kansas City for a two day training class. This is the rescheduled version of the trip I was trying to take last month, which ultimately culminated in me selling my Impreza. Unlike the Impreza, the M3 made it just fine and rode great.

The tires are noisy, but I knew that before this trip. The radio is quite good. The AC feels a little weak-- not sure if that's because it needs recharged, if it's just a consequence of an all black car in 90 degree weather with bright sunshine, or if the car has an underdrive pulley and is spinning the AC compressor a little slow. I doubt the latter but you never know and I haven't looked that close under the hood yet.

Got 26 MPG with about 90% of that at 77 MPH and a touch of city driving on either end of the trip. Oh and I absolutely loved the feeling of making a pass at 60 MPH on the 435 in KC... dropped it down to 3rd and let it rip, in short order was doing 90. Think I'll reward the car and myself with a nice wash this weekend.

-Colin
    and thumbs up to Leo Kottke! I realized I have no Roches cd (got rid of all my lp's a couple years ago). I would enjoy the Roches more if I could listen to the tracks I love & skip the ones that make me roll my eyes [grin] so a cd would definitely be in order.

I was thinking that was quite an eclectic list, (which I guess it is in terms of content), but then I took a good look & realized that almost everything there is acoustic! Didn't even realize it. Maybe it's because I finally have a car that's quiet enough so I can really enjoy the finer nuances of good music!

Jillian
    Nice report on the M3. Great fuel economy! Any plans for auto-x or track?

..Mike

..Mike

My wife bought the Charlotte Church CD, the only problem is it's church music! ;-)

She wanted to buy the CD for the guy that made a guest appearance on Ally McBeal, the young singer she went out on a date with, I forget his name.

She's an impulse buyer, so any new fad attracts her.

-juice
    are strengthening ties in Japan. I wonder is this is a harbinger of future Subaru/Isuzu relationships on an international scale?

http://www.maruboshi.com/

Bob
    Subaru could use diesels for Europe, that's for sure.

-juice
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    Good links Bob. More stupid idiot lights. I'm sure I'll be ripping that one out ASAP.

-mike