Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mercedes 300D Suggestions

1414243444547»

Comments

• benzsilverbenzsilver Member Posts: 21
    TO WAGONLUST: The name wagonlust perhaps suggests they are looking at a
    TDE. these can be rare in certain instances, and perhaps this is a barnfind. At any rate I concur with Mr Shiftright, however to add to that, if you are willing to take the 'leap of faith' and can afford the risk, go ahead and leap. It may turn out to be the best leap you ever took. :shades:
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    A wagon would be worth more of a risk, up to a point. I just saw a pretty nice one (not perfect but very presentable) sell for $7,500---ready and running.

You have to start with "good bones"--you can't build up a good Mercedes diesel if you are starting on a rotten foundation.
  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,162
    One positive...IIRC, 83 is considered a very good year for 123s.
  • wagonlustwagonlust Member Posts: 2
    oops - it's an 81, not an 83, same diff, right? It does seem to be good bones but the seller is too enamored w/ 'low miles, collectible classic' to let it go cheap so it'll probably fall through. I'm thinking 1.5 max but they want over 4. I can't see paying that much if it's not been driven for so long and has lousy paint. Am I wrong? Thanks for the thoughts.
  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,162
    4 is definitely too much if it won't clean up with a good detail. Neat kind of special interest cars, but a ways to go before 123s become real classics. Make sure the turbo works, too. I am sure 81 is fine, but generally, the newer the model in a series, the better.
    edited April 2013
    it's not a classic and the miles are only "low" relative to how old it is. Miles are still miles, wear is still wear, and 120K isn't "low miles" for all the parts of a car. $1500 sounds like more than enough for what seems to be just a roll of the dice. The car has too many unknowns.
  • tdetempletdetemple Member Posts: 2
    My A/C works fairly well in the morning, as the day warms up it doesn't seem to work so well.
    Any advice???
    Well of course check to see that it is fully charged; you might also make sure the electric cooling fan is working properly once the car warms up, and that the condenser up front is not totally clogged up with dirt/bugs/etc.

These AC systems are marginal at best so if the car is new to you and you are in a very hot climate, you have to be realistic as to what the system can do for you.
  • tdetempletdetemple Member Posts: 2
    I have had it charged, I do see some bubbles in the viewer glass.
    Thanks!