Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Isuzu Ascender

Comments

• leedavidyoungleedavidyoung Member Posts: 102
    I can sense a brilliant ad campaign brewing.
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    Isuzu couldn't "market" it even if they got it.

I spoke to my dealer this weekend, he said they refuse to order any Ascendors for the showroom, and will only order them if a buyer absolutely requires one, and with that they need to put down a healthy deposit on it.

-mike
  • dindakdindak Member Posts: 6,632
    Just get Joe back!
  • sbcookesbcooke Member Posts: 2,297
    Doesn't sound like your dealer wants to continue to support Isuzu? Is that open road?
    It's in Staten Island.

They have ordered a bunch of Rodeos and Axioms. They like Isuzu, just not the Ascendor, since you can go down the block and get the GMC and Chevy Versions for cheaper it doesn't pay to stock it, and support it in the repair shop. I'm not sure what Open Road is doing yet, but I'm about to pull the trigger on an extended warranty for my Trooper so I'll check out what they are doing over there.

-mike
  • redline65redline65 Member Posts: 693
    Dealers can get it. I test drove one in December at a dealership in Denton, TX. Of course it was their only one on the lot. They parked it right up front, probably wanted to see how much interest it would stir up.
    I think Joe Isuzu should come back and sell these babies!

Apparently the Ascender is coming to Canada later this year. So says the newspaper anyway. No word that I've seen on the Isuzu Canada web site though.
    It isn't a bad looking truck, my dealer had one on the lot. It is just a GM, funny how my dealer is a ford shop, now selling a GM.
    It isn't a bad looking truck, my dealer had one on the lot. It is just a GM, funny how my dealer is a ford shop, now selling a GM.

I test drove a Mercury Mountaineer and Ford Explorer at the Ford dealer. Too bad they are both just a Ford.
    Heard an Ascender commercial on the radio today. They were basically touting it being a full-sized SUV, and comparing it to the Expedition and Sequoia. They also mentioned the available 290 hp V8 and the 7 year/75K mile warranty. Looks like they are offering $2000 cash back or 0% financing on it too. Not quite as good as the $3000 back on the Envoy XL and TB EXT.
    I do think the truck is good, but I don't think it's going to help Isuzu's sales like they claim. It's just too much the same at the Envoy EXT. If it had something special to differentiate it from the GM triplets, I might be more optimistic.
    It sure hasn't boosted Isuzu's sales so far. They only sold 221 of them last month, so much for being their sales leader. They sold more Troopers, Axioms, and Rodeos than that.
  • libertycatlibertycat Member Posts: 593
    To continue a topic from earlier in this discussion, a couple of reasons to buy the Ascender are that it provides sporty Isuzu styling and exclusitivity that the Envoy and TrailBlazer can't match. The Ascender isn't car-based, so why is it so awful off-road compared to the Expedition, Explorer, and such?
    sporty Isuzu styling and exclusitivity that the Envoy and TrailBlazer can't match.

LOL how is the styling and exclusivity different from the Envoy XL? It's the SAME vehicle, just with a different front fascia and wheels.
    I just checked one out at my isuzu dealer. It is nothing but an Envoy with a different front and rear fascia, that is in NO WAY an Isuzu.

As for awful off-road?

o Wheelbase is HUGE since it doesn't even come in the non-XL version, this is a major bad thing for offroading.

o Envoy/TB/Bravada/Assender have the WORST angles of approach and departure in the industry

o Comparing them to an Explorer or Expedition isn't saying much, those are also pretty crappy offroad vehicles themselves.

o It's narrower, shorter and less legroom in the front seat than my Trooper is.

o Ground clearance and items that can get snagged and caught when offroading on the underbody are horrid.

o 17" wheels are difficult to get offroad tires in that size

o Non-boxy interior means less usable storage

o 400 Dealers to service these VERY repair prone vehicles compared to 1000s and 1000s of Chevy or GMC dealers where you can get your Envoy/TB fixed, and out of those 400 dealers most have probably never even seen an Ascendor, so good luck in getting it fixed correctly the first time.

o Almost no off-road market items made for the Envoy/TB/Bravada/Ascendor, although you can get some nice Altcheeza tail lights, lowering kits, side skirts, and replacement HID headlight kits for it, can we say Bling Bling boys and girls???

Positive things:
    o 3 Rows of seats from the factory, Isuzu should have put in the 3rd row that the rest of the world got in the Troopers

o Nice torquey/powerful engine, although it does have electronic problems, so I'm not sure how reliable it will be

o Rear lift glass/Lift gate, nice for sticking items out of when carrying back from Home Depot etc. They could have put a drop-window in the 70% section of the Trooper rear door to accomplish this.

-mike
    News flash : 95% of people don't care about off road ability. Approach angles are of little concern to the moms and dads driving these things around to hockey, baseball or football practice.

The reliability of these vehicles is also vastly improved. Lots of initial bugs but they are mostly gone now. I was speaking to a service guy at my local Chev dealer and he said they are really good trucks now.
    Then there is no point in Isuzu making/selling it. Isuzu is a niche player in the market, why would anyone buy an Isuzu to use as a vehicle that they could easily obtain from a manufacturer that has a larger scale of economy?

Like Subaru and other niche players Isuzu can't just offer a run-of-the-mill SUV. If they do, they are trying to compete in an area where larger companies will totally anniahlate (sp) them.

If you read my response, I was responding to libertycat, who asked why the Ascendor was a poor choice for off-road, hence my slant toward off-road abilities (and lack thereof).

As for reliability, just read the edmunds board there are 20-50 posts a day there with all kinds of DESIGN problems, not problems that are manufacturing related, but just poorly designed items (like when you fold down the rear seats you have to have the front seats moved up or the back smacks the back of the front seats) along with tons and tons of computer related problems (rear wipers come on at random times, random other problems that are fixed by "rebooting" the car)

My question to anyone who is an avid fan of the Ascendor: Why would you buy the Isuzu version over the Chevy or GMC version???? I have not seen 1 compelling arguement to date as to the reason to buy the Isuzu version (warranty is longer, but there are 1/100th as many dealers to service them).

-mike
    Hey, I'm not defending Isuzu. I think they will be out of the North American mkt in a few years unless they do something soon. My point is that for what it is, the Ascender is a good vehicle. No reason to buy over a GM triplet (aside from the warranty).

I have read the GM triplet board and there are not anywhere near 20-50 complaints a day ever. There are 20-50 posts a day if that's what you mean. Most of the complaints are from first year owners also.

I think we have already been through this discussion?
    I had my suspicions that the Ascender (and Envoy XL/Trailblazer EXT) wouldn't do too well off-road, even with 4WD. It just seems like the wheelbase is too long to take on any kind of elevated terrain. I've got the December 2002 issue of Motor Trend where they took a bunch of SUVs off road, and the Ascender was one of them. They said it was "undersprung and too apt for oversteer". They also said "don't ask it to compete in an autocross", so I think they are hinting that it is not really good for off-roading.

On another note, Ed Wallace is a car guy here in Dallas who gives an auto review on the news every Friday morning. This morning he was reviewing the 4WD Ascender. He really seemed to like its foul-weather handling ability. It's been icy in Dallas this week, so he has been able to drive it in some poor conditions. I think the only complaint he had was with the auto climate control, he said it would occasionally blow cool air from the vents. He also said the Ascender is the most under-advertised vehicle from Isuzu that nobody knows about.
    That means it's not good on-road, auto-x is a sport where you drive on dry pavement through a tight coned out course and try to maintain control.

On-road it has a pathetic Auto-4wd system that is not at all as advanced as the TOD system offered in the Trooper/Sorento/Axiom...

-mike
    Better off sticking with the 2WD then, huh? Like you guys were saying, most people keep them on the pavement anyways. The 2WD setup with locking differential and traction control seems to work pretty good.
    Depends on your driving situations. The auto-4wd in the ascender will be better in snow/mud than say the 2wd w/ traction control, because you will eventually get power to the front axle, but it doesn't put any power to the front until the rear has slippage which in most cases is too late to keep you on the road.

If you live somewhere that snow/ice isn't a factor then the 2wd with traction control and the locker will be more than adequet. IMHO.

-mike
    I read reviews that said the envoy/trailblazer's auto 4wd...a variant of TOD was not very good. Essentially because it was a 0-100% setup until slippage occurred and that caused it to be late delivering power? The 15-85% setup works well in the Trooper under most circumstances, funny how B&W would deploy it differently here?
    I would buy a 2WD TB as I certainly don't need AWD driving around the city. I have no need to go off-road.
    Is not the same system as the TOD. The auto basically will do 0-100 OR 50/50, essentially once a certain amount of slippage is detected it engages the PT 4wd system. What it does is "auto-engage" the PT 4wd for you instead of hitting it yourself.

-mike
    It may not be a "true" Isuzu, but I still prefer the styling over the TB and Envoy. I saw three at my local dealer and they seemed roomy enough. Due to the limited reasons to buy the Ascender, it would have a fairly high level of exclusitivity.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    By popular demand!

tidester, host
    I think the Ascender is better than the Envoy XL and Trail Blazer EXT because of its more quality interior, more luxurious interior, longer warrenty, exclusitivity, and better styling.
    "LOL how is the styling and exclusivity different from the Envoy XL? It's the SAME vehicle, just with a different front fascia and wheels."
    I don't know why I'm bothering to explain, but here is my explaination: It has different front and rear fascias and wheels, which overall makes a VERY different look. You don't even bother to defend your exclusitivity point. If Isuzu doesn't sell that many of them, they will be exclusive.
  • 60hzpush60hzpush Member Posts: 30
    Take it from someone who owns one, the Ascender for me has been awsome. I got a great deal compared to the Chevy and GMC. My dealer wants to get as many out there as possible. Isuzu is financially doing well. Don't forget, they're the ones behind Chevy's Duramax technology. Plus, they own the market in Mid size commercial trucks. I like the ride better than the GMC. if you take any SUV off road, you are an idiot in the first place.
  • troop2shostroop2shos Member Posts: 235
    It's not the vehicle or necessarily the surface but the "idiot" controlling that vehicle...including the asphalt jungle.
    I guess that I need to find a way to rent a team of horses / mules & wagon to get to my property to check on it from time to time, pull my camper, or to gain access to a fishing area on a stream w/ my gear.
    Everyone has different needs & preferences. Your point is...you like your Ascender for what it does for you?
    I guess I should define offroad. An area that is going to cause any problems for my Isuzu. Granted there are many places that this qualifies, but offroad is not where im taking a 30.000 dollar vehicle. I'll take my junker instead. Have any of you even driven an Ascender? let alone afford one?
    has anyone heard of the recall for something with the transmission lock on the Ascender? I noticed that the steering wheel doesn't lock. Will the recall fix this?
    I like the ride better than the GMC

The ride is the same as the Envoy XL, I have driven both. However, I don't believe the Ascender offers the optional ECAS system on the GMC, does it?
    You might find out more info about the recall there since they are identical except for the badges and fascia.

-mike
    Actually the suspension is different on the Ascender. The springs and shocks are different types. The Ascender is called comfort springs and rides much looser than the GMC. The Ascender does not have ECAS option. I think the Ascender has a smoother ride on the highway than the GMC. But because the GMC is stiffer it handles off road better than the Ascender. I thought for $3500 less than a GMC Envoy the Isuzu was a better buy. Not to mention the 7yr 70.000 mile warranty. With a better Warranty and my dealer, which also sells Chevy, is our area's largest Isuzu commercial box truck dealer. Isuzu has a strong foothold in that area. I will not have a problem with warrenty issues.
    At Isuzu light-truck dealers. IE: you can't take it to the med-duty truck center and have it repaired, nor can you bring it to a GMC or Chevy Dealer.

The suspension and shocks are not different types at all, they may have a different valving/rate and/or different spring rates, but they are all coil front IFS and Solid rear coils.

-mike
    Like I said 60hzpush, I could not tell a difference in ride quality between the two vehicles. Isuzu may call it one thing (Comfort Springs) and GMC may call it something else (Luxury Ride), but I guarantee you they are the same components. But like Paisan says, they may have tweaked them a little (not enough for me to tell). With the exception of the wheels, badges, front fascia, rear end, and some interior trim these vehicles are identical.

I agree though, it is a better buy than the Envoy XL if you don't need a lot of the amenities (BOSE, leather, ECAS, heated seats). Especially with the longer powertrain warranty.

Out of curiosity, how much off MSRP are they selling for?
    Mine retailed at 38.000. Thats with leather heated seats v8 the bose stereo fully loades. i paid 30500 wich is a little less than 20%. I also got the 0% finacing. i actullay crawled under the GMC and the brand and make of my springs are different than the GMC. Also the tire sizes are different. There are wider tires on a GMC. This will also effect the ride. Did you take the GMC on the Highway, there is a big difference in the ride at 65mph between the two.
    20% off and 0% financing? Is it a demo vehicle? That sounds too good to be true. Do you get some kind of employee discount, or loyalty rebate?

I didn't think you could get leather and BOSE with the Ascender. I didn't see the options on Isuzu's web site. When I asked the sales guy at the Isuzu dealership about getting leather seats he told me they could have it added aftermarket. Does the Ascender have 16" or 17" wheels?
    I saw one parked on my street today. I think the Isuzu Grill and slight nuances are better looking than the Chevy version.
    yes you can get the Leather and Bose. It's the Limited version with 17" alloy. I beat the sales guy up pretty hard. He told me that the suspension was exactly the same as the Chevy. As I researched the suspension and found it to be different I caught him in a lie so he gave me a great deal on it. Im sure He still made money, plus dealer incentives. It was also less than the Chevy without leather.
  • jc35jc35 Member Posts: 1
    60hzpush, I'm wondering where(dealer/sales person) did you get your ascender. I'd like to get one with that kind of price & 0%
    I got it at Bernard Libertyville Isuzu. In Il. It would violate This websites rules to tell you the Salesperson.
  • axiom47axiom47 Member Posts: 1
    I just scanned all 11 pages of this message board and took in quite a bit of information regarding the Ascender and the demise of the Trooper (I think my eyes are bugging out now). You guys seemed to miss the fact that Isuzu is bringing a new 7-passenger SUV to the market in the 2004-2005 model year (2006 at latest). It will be based on the Small truck platform currently utilized for the Chevy Colorado and GMC Canyon. They announced it at the auto show where they unveiled the 5-passenger Ascender, along with their new direct-injection engine. Supposedly a few sketches were shown, but not allowed to be leaked to the public because they were so preliminary. I think we are slowly, very slowly, seeing their vital signs rise and presence return to the U.S. market. Oh, and for you die hard fans, it is rumored to be named the next Trooper.
    There are pics already. I don't believe it will be based on the Colorado platform, even though that was designed by Isuzu. They have pics @ the thailand Isuzu site IIRC. We'll see when it finally gets here if it's worthy of the Isuzu nameplate.

-mike
    "worthy of the Isuzu nameplate"

That wouldn't take much given the average at best stuff they have now.
    Hmm, well FYI, Isuzu is ranked #2 behind Toyota in LONG TERM Reliability in both JD Powers and Consumer reports in the mid-size SUV market.

So for the average guy who can't afford a new car every 2 years they are darn good values.

-mike