Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Isuzu Ascender

Comments

• dindakdindak Member Posts: 6,632
    Reliability is good, vehicles are average at best. Not good for a company that specializes in SUVs in the U.S. market. That's likely why sales keep dropping in a booming SUV market.
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    Yep, they don't make AMERICAN SUVs, IE: Mini-vans that don't carry the stigma. I'll wage a stock Trooper against almost any other stock SUV sold in america, in an off-road adventure, and the Trooper will finish 1st. Rubicon will probably beat it, along with a few others but not many.

But hey if it's a Soccer Mom/Dad Vehicle you want, then go for the Ascendor/trailblazer/whatever else is the "popular" SUV out there.

-mike
    Unfortunately for Isuzu, the % of people going off road is not going up and the number of car based and more car like SUVs is, and that's what 95% of people really want. Isuzu needs to partially adapt to this trend or face extinction.
    Unfortunately, I don't think they are going to, nor should they. I equate that strategy to what subaru tried to do in the early 90s by selling FWD cars trying to go up against the Accord and Camary, that almost Killed them financially, til they realized they are niche player and need to play in the niche market, and not follow the big-boys, cause if they do, they'll get whacked.

What Isuzu needs to do is market to the Hummer wannabes, and the Jeepers, off-roaders, towers etc. They need to use their vast truck knowledge to be an asset. Rather than try to sell to the soccer moms, who's husbands use their GM Visa Card Points to buy Trailblazers and Explorers, etc. They should focus on what they do well:

Diesel Engines
    Truck Frames
    Off-Road vehicles

They could put out a Pickup truck that would rival any of the Big-boys, heck GM uses their engines in their HD trucks already!

Offroad: Shoot for the people buying Hummers, G-wagens, Jeep Wranglers, Grand Cherokees

Trucks: Build a Diesel Full-sized SUV, to rival the Suburban and Excursion that can out-tow both.

Getting down and dirty trying to have a slugfest with GM, Ford, Toyota in the Wanna-be-SUV-soccer mom market is not going to get themy anywhere but broker.

-mike
  • amigo_johnamigo_john Member Posts: 107
    Isuzu left out the diesel in the US market. I guess they make more money selling them to GM instead. I have owned 4 diesels and thought they were the most reliable vehicles on the road. Plus, if anyone tailgated me, I could always stomp on the gas pedal and give them the "smokescreen of death". I've had more than one tailgating, cell phoning, lipsticking, soccer mom pull up next to me at a light holding her nose and trying to fan the smell away.
    You might be right. They have to find a profitable niche and stick with it. They have a strong dealer network in Canada (all of them affiliated with Saturn/Saab dealers) so some fresh product and better marketing is needed. Right now they only sell 2 models in Canada.
  • 60hzpush60hzpush Member Posts: 30
    I went to my local Chevy/ Isuzu dealer to look for a 16' isuzu Box truck, He did his best to sell me the Chevy over the Isuzu, even though there almost identical. The availibility of the Isuzu was much worse. I think Chevrolet is telling isuzu to stay out of the US market.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Maybe the Chevy spiffs are better and that's why the salesperson was pushing them.

Steve, Host
  • jimmyp1jimmyp1 Member Posts: 640
    towed a boat? And, if so, how did the traction control do? I have a medium sized I/O runabout, probably 3000-3500 lbs depending on the load, and I'm worried about slipping while pulling it out of the water. (Paisan, I would keep the 4WD Trooper - the wife finally confessed that the Suburban is too big, and the prices being quoted here are almost too good to pass up for what you get. The Legacy, on the other hand may be ready for a new home in the next few months!).

Jim
    Ok Jimmy, keep me in the loop!

drop me an e-mail about the legacy, so I can get my $ in order.

-mike
    Would you please email me at jim @ pecivil dot com so that I can ask you a few questions about your purchase? Thank you. I don't see an email address in your profile.

Jim
    Just took my Ascender on a 2500 mile trip to the East coast and back. I beat on it pretty hard. My average mileage was around 21-22 MPG. If I cruise at 75-80mph it goes down to 16-17 mpg. overall I'm really happy with the ride and I'm happy to report no mechanical problems.
    I see Isuzu has pulled out of Canada for 2004. I guess I will never see one of these unless I travel to the U.S. I guess the "I" will have to be taken out of the SSI at the Saturn Saab Isuzu dealers across the country.
    That's not a good sign :(

-mike
    Nope.. Isuzu has been in Canada for many many years. U.S. withdrawal may not be far off. It's too bad but not surprising since sales have been dropping like a rock.
  • sbcookesbcooke Member Posts: 2,297
    Any mention of who will and how they plan on supporting the 10 year warranty they offered on all 2000/2001 vehicles?
    Well, the SSI (Saturn Saab Isuzu) dealers are all still intact so I would assume they will continue to service them. All Isuzu dealers in Canada sell Saab and Saturn. No more "I" sales though I guess.
  • batman16batman16 Member Posts: 4
    So far so good. My Ascender has been smooth as silk with no problems. Getting around 17 mpg. Had to use the 4WD only once. I buried my tractor in a muddy field, it pulled it out with no problems.
  • fsvfsv Member Posts: 196
    Ascender owners - how is the truck goes through the winter and miles?
    31G for a '03 fully loaded leftover - is it OK or should I push for less money, and if yes I should, what is the right amount to agree with?
  • wheels13wheels13 Member Posts: 51
    How do you Ascender owners rate your trucks compared to the Troopers?
    and they are two completely different animals. My 1998 Trooper is an S model and very utilitarian. My 2004 Ascender is a Limited and it's a GM luxury (IMHO) cruise-mobile, smooth, quiet, etc. I wouldn't put anything other than family members in the Ascender. I'd put anything in the Trooper, and have.

Jim
    the 2000s version of the 1974 Olds Custom Cruiser (big honking oldsmobile wagon with 3 rows of seats, raised roof in the rear, tinted skylights, roof rack, 455 rocket engine)

:)

-mike
  • beer47beer47 Member Posts: 185
    don't knock the Olds "Vista" crusier with rocket engine!! It was a crusier and would run all day!

It was a blast from the past!!!!!
    I loved them! :)

-mike
    Well i've had my Ascender Limited V8 since last May. I have about 12000 mile on it and can count on my left hand how many other Isuzu Ascenders i've seen. Need I mention that I traveled twice from il to Ct. Love my Isuzu but I have to say they dont have there act together in the marketing field.. Too bad...
    paid under $30k, but mine is 2wd.

Jim
    I'm starting to see quite a few in Houston, now that I have one.

Jim
  • jimmyp1atworkjimmyp1atwork Member Posts: 42
    they'll start notifying owners towards the middle to the end of the year. And I have a 2004, so I don't think I'll be getting a letter at all.

Jim
  • rick2456rick2456 Member Posts: 320
    just bought a 2004 Ascender, S model 4WD. Added a sunroof. Cost was 26000 include taxes and sun/moonroof ($1000), etc, etc. ($4000) in rebates) So far 1800 miles no problems. It is sprung a lot softer than my 2001 LS 4WD Rodeo and takes some getting used to. Other than that, no complaints.

It actually gets a bit better mileage (20-21) than my Rodeo (19). Nice smooth engine and rather plush compared to the Rodeo. Any ideas on how to tighten up the suspension and handling? Thanks.
  • raydahsraydahs Member Posts: 449
    Yup get a rodeo!

Seriously though, the Ascendor/TB/ENvoy/etc were designed for on-road, plush riding, soccer moms who's idea of "offroading" is a wet soccer field! As such they have replaced the family wagon and mini-van. Your best bet for tightening it up would probably be thicker sway bars, poly bushings, and some stiffer coil springs.

-mike
  • makayemakaye Member Posts: 81
    I haven't seen any aftermarket kits (except lowering kits) for the GM clones (my brother in law has one). I am not even sure aftermarket shocks are available(?). Hotchkis Performance makes a rear sway bar and front polyurethane bushing kit. I would look at the TrailBlazer forum and ask there. Much more activity there.

My B-I-L has had good luck with his Ascender - no troubles and has some significant mileage. Done well in northwest winters. But it remains stock. Congratulations on your purchase and enjoy yours.
  • rick2456rick2456 Member Posts: 320
    Wow, this page is not showing much use. Are there any Ascender owners out there besides me? If so, have any of you had any problems with the stock radio/cd player or weak floor vent output? Thanks.

Rick
  • sbcookesbcooke Member Posts: 2,297
    Isuzu isn't commanding a large market share these days. You would probably have better luck finding answers on the Chevy boards.
  • batman16batman16 Member Posts: 4
    Rick2456

I am an Ascender owner. I have not had any problems with this vehicle (18000). Seems to be well built. I have been seeing a few more around, but not very many.
  • mbukukanyaumbukukanyau Member Posts: 200
    Isuzu and GMC again? I see no point
    "the Ascender's seven-year/75,000-mile drivetrain warranty is the best in its class"

Follow-Up Test: 2004 Isuzu Ascender

Steve, Host
  • 1995trooper1995trooper Member Posts: 1
    GMC buys interests in Isuzu and now is working in chipping it away? If I were Isuzu I would continue w/the Legal suit against Consumer Reports and re market the Trooper back for 2005!!
  • fm1966fm1966 Member Posts: 9
    After reading the first 20 posts or so, I said to myself "OMG I'm making a mistake!?" I test drove both Envoy and Ascender and I found the Ascender to have better handling than the Envoy.

I find both models quite attractive and I'm all for luxury and comfort. The Ascender, however is also giving me more for my money than Envoy. What I came on here to accomplish today is that I'd like to run the final price by you people. I've chosen and LS, 5 passenger with the leather and sunroof upgrade. There's no Onstar and no Bose system--those are about the only major differences. The list is 33, 920. Yes the damn dealership added in accesories that I wouldn't have chosen. My 1998 Pontiac Transport minivan is getting me $4400. I have the $3500 rebate and an additional $3000 off the price for a total of 23,000 to pay. Do you think I got a deal? Altogether I have a savings of about 10, 920. I hope to hell the company is still around by the time I pay the car off in 6 years. :-) The way the group was talking earlier, only God knows what's going to happen.
    out of the US market or have a significantly reduced dealer network as time marches on, and GMC/Chevy dealers will NOT honor your Isuzu Ascendor warranty, so that is something to take into account.

-mike
    Hey Mike (paisan)--I'm a paisana too.

Someone has to honor the warranty if they're bought out. Anyway, I didn't find anything to tell me differently, so I'm assuming the Ascender takes regular gasoline?

You think I got a deal by the way??

Ciao,

Francesca
    Not sure if it's a good deal but an SUV for 23K isn't bad.

The problem is not if they get bought out, the problem is that the dealerships are dropping like flies, right now I believe there are 380 or so dealers nationwide, last year there was 450, so until someone buys them that would honor the warranty, they will continue to dwindle down to nothing as far as service, once the warranty is up, of course you can bring it anywhere to get it fixed (GMC/Chevy dealers, local mechanics).

Ciao Paisana!
    Please don't refresh after posting - our software is buggy that way and it'll repost your message. Try the Recent Messages link instead. Thanks,

Steve, Host
    I won't do that again, Steve. Sorry if I caused any problems. The reason I refreshed was to see if a response came in. I will check recent messages instead.
    Grazie. :-)

Do you know about the gas? Regular I hope??
    No biggie, just one of those bugs that can't be easily swatted.

Thanks!

Steve, Host
    I believe it's regular. I would HOPE it's regular.

-mike
    Yes, the gas IS regular.

I took this car home last night. So far I really love it. If anyone has driven the GMC Envoy and this Ascender, don't you think the Ascender has a little more steering control and pick-up?

Have a good day.

Francesca