Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge Ram Owners

Comments

• deiseldeisel Member Posts: 16
    well with mine non highway I am getting 19 mpg.
    every day and that is 3 mpg better than my chevy
    did with the v-8 the dodge that I have is a straight drive 1 ton.
  • pullerpuller Member Posts: 4
    I owned a 92 Dodge diesel automatic, and as long as you service the transmission as per owner instructions, don't tow more than the trk is rated,you should'nt have any trouble.I towed a 8500 lb travel trailer approx 20,000 miles, and had no problems. Temp never got over 190 degrees.
  • lwflwf Member Posts: 223
    I spent an hour or so composing a nice long
    letter, finished it, and then did a spellcheck.

My letter diappeared from the face of the earth,
    so I never got the chance to post it.

Great software you have here.
  • undrh20undrh20 Member Posts: 1
    I used the data from Edmunds to get three dealers to agree on $500 over invoice, now I'm letting them fight for my business! The real choice now is do I get the 6ft or 8ft 1500 Ram Quad. Any suggestions?

P.S. I did use the AutoVantage, but the dealer was 2 hours away? But I still used the the E-mail to beat the dealers down.
  • sanctuaryfarmsanctuaryfarm Member Posts: 1
    I am considering purchasing a 1998 Ram Quad Cab 1500 4x4 SWB p/u. I would like comments on 5.2 vs 5.9 (performance, hauling, mileage). Also is any info available regarding side impact crashs on Quad Cab doors? Any owners comments will be appreciated.
  • jackwleejackwlee Member Posts: 3
    Anyone out there own a Dodge "V10"? I'm interested in what kind of performance (i.e., gas mileage, towing power, etc.) I am looking at ordering a Ram Quad, 3/4 ton, with automatic trans., 4wheel drive. I know the diesels are suppose to be the thing, however, I'm not convinced the price and cost of fuel justifies not having the V10....tell me what you think.
  • rheacockrheacock Member Posts: 1
    A note to the person who asked about Dodge Diesel fuel mileage, I drive an 1995 extended cab 2500, 5 speed. I pulled a heavy boat + full load from Dallas to Seattle and averaged 22 mpg with the cruise set to 75. If I don't pull something heavy occasionally, my mileage will drop to 17 to 18 mpg's.

It's a great feeling to pass EVERYONE climbing a hill, pulling a boat, loaded like the Beverly Hillbillies.
  • Doyle_RiversDoyle_Rivers Member Posts: 1
    I'm about to buy a '98 Dodge ram 1500 SWB 5-speed. A/C, Am/Fm cassette. not many frills. Edmonds tells me it's about 15000 dealer invoice. The Dealer says they have a few for 12,999. What gives? I guess they just got a good deal from the manufacturer or another dealership. Any comments? Is this really as good a deal as it looks?
  • safetysamsafetysam Member Posts: 1
    My father - in -law has a 96 Ram Sport Club Cab. Changes the oil every 3K and services it regularly. The dip stick has developed rust above the oil line! Water droplets form above the oil line. The dealer knows nothing, and just replaced the dip stick. That was one week ago and it is rusting. HELP!!! Any ideas, suggestions? The oil is always clean and free of metal flakes. But I wonder if the rest of the engine is rusted and pitted like the dip stick!
  • JustinRG20JustinRG20 Member Posts: 1
    I hope i'm doing this right, this is my first time writing to everyone. I just bought a 1997 RAM 1500 with the 5.9 v-8 4speed auto. it's the sport model and it was pre-owned. the kid before me put on dual exhaust. i drove the truck once. anyone know what else can be done with these trucks to give them more kick? and i just read through most of the 63 messages, and i'm sorry to say it looks like dodge isn't quite as good as i thought it would. my truck is the 4 X 4 single cab long bed. if anyone out there has it, or knows about them, could you please tell me how their reliabilty is?
  • mtsoundmtsound Member Posts: 1
    I am thinking about getting a 1500 ram quad cab 4x4 with most of the options.
    what kinds of deals have you guys gotten for a similar truck?
    Should I get the 5.2 or the 5.9? which is more reliable? differences in gas milage? performance difference?
    To new 1998 buyers, have you had any problems? How do you like your new truck?
    thanks for all your help
  • SchweiteeSchweitee Member Posts: 2
    Hello to all!! I'm another new guy on the block joining for the first time. I'm in the market for a new pickup and to be quite honest, I don't know how anyone in my situation can't consider the Dodge Ram. It's got the looks and muscle that must be the envy of Chevy, Ford and GMC. Specifically, I've got my eye on the Ram 2500 Quad Cab powered by Cummings (probably the new 24 valve turbo diesel). But before I take the plunge, I'd like to hear from other Ram/Cummings owners: Would you buy another? Any significant problems? Auto or Manual? Thanks for taking the time to respond!!
  • am8703am8703 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1997 Dodge 1/2 ton automatic extended cab. It has the smoothest ride of any truck. It has plenty of power with the small gas engine. I have had a few irritating troubles. Blown tail light fuses. Interior panel fuses. Brakes stay down when you get out and the tail lights or still on. 4-wheel drive light blinks on and off. The dealer has fixed all problems.
  • mharde2mharde2 Member Posts: 278
    Schweitee, I just took the plunge two weeks ago. You have to order one to get the new 24 valve engine. I ordered the 2500 Quad Cab diesel w/automatic. If you are going to be towing realy heavy loads, and are heavy footed, you might whant to get the standard trans. You get an extra 20HP and 40 more lbs of torque with the 5 speed. I shure hope I like this truck. Its killing me to part with this much money. If you click on see all responces at the top, you will see a lot of comments on the Ram.
  • scottrmscottrm Member Posts: 1
    I was wanting to ask some of the persons who bought the Cummins diesel what made them consider the Dodge over the Chevy?? I know chevy had problems with their diesels in the '80s. Have they corrected the problems??
  • ebutterlebutterl Member Posts: 2
    Had the same problem with my 95 Dakota, especially in the winter. I replaced the PCV valve (~$2.00) after I checked and was not losing any coolant. I pulled the Oil breather cap of the valve cover (Left side), with the engine running there should be enough suction to hold a piece of paper over the hole. I had a little with the old PCV, with new one I had strong suction. Evidently not enough air was going through the crankcase to clear out the water vapor. I no longer have any water and my oil stays cleaner between oil changes (3k).

Good Luck
  • CMille2195CMille2195 Member Posts: 1
    Well as of right now I am a chevy owner but I really like the new dodge sport models I think I am going to take the plunge I hope I am doing the right thing?
  • SchweiteeSchweitee Member Posts: 2
    mharde2: I failed to mention that I will definitly get the 5 speed transmission. I feel I'll have better control and besides, I just prefer standards over autos. I can relate when it comes to parting with the $$'s. However, I'll probably keep the truck for 15+ years so long as its reliable. My problem is trying to forecast the future price of diesel, and insurance costs. With the new high mileage autos being introduced, what will that do to fuel costs in the future and will the traditional owners be pentalized with some sort of gas tax to incentivise us to trade in for the latest in high tech to hit the consumer market.
  • pullerpuller Member Posts: 4
    SCOTTM
    Cummins diesels-Dodge trucks,POWER TRAIN SUPERIORTY.
    The price diesel fuel is usualy more stable than gas prices. I don't think they will penalize the diesel users because they already get the best milage, and most intrastate commerce is tied to diesel feul. I hope thats the case anyway...
  • anarchyxanarchyx Member Posts: 1
    Is there anyone out there who owns a 1997 dodge ram 1500 with the 5.9? i'm looking for some pointers on what can be done with it to make it faster. and if anyone has this model and year truck or any model for that matter, can you tell me if you've had ANY problems at all? thanks
  • esoxesox Member Posts: 2
    I am looking to buy a 95 or 96 ram 1500 ext cab 4X4 truck, does anyone have any pros or cons on this?
    scottrm, Chevy has NOT!!! corrected their problems
    with the deisels I just got rid of my lemon a month ago and bought the dodge cummins deisel
    5-speed straight drive because I heard that dodge has problems with the automatic transmission. I
    love my new used truck.
  • jskushjskush Member Posts: 1
    Looking to get a new truck... trying to decide between the Ford 150 and Ram 1500. Not sure which way to go... any suggestions or words of wisdom???
    Drive them both, and buy the one you like the best. They are both good trucks,and each have some great features. Too bad you can't combine them into one truck.
  • 75407540 Member Posts: 1
    A GOOD FRIEND HAS DODGE RAM 2500 4x4 SLT CLUB CAB LONGBED. HE HAS ENCOUNTERED MANY PROBLEMS WITH THE DEISEL FUEL PUMP AND SEVERAL OTHER THINGS. ALL OF THE PROBLEMS HAVE OCCURRED IN THE LAST 6 MONTHS; HOW MANY OCCURANCES DOES IT TAKE TO FILE FOR THE "LEMON LAW?"
    Sorry to hear about your friend, lemon law is
    effective if the same problem has occured 3 times
    (3 fuel injector pumps, 3 transmissions etc.)
    a friend of mine had problems with the chevy 6.5
    liter turbo deisel and sued chevy for a new truck
    she now drives the ford I traded my lemon in rather than hassle with GM. I love my new-used
    dodge deisel standard transmission.
  • WilberWilber Member Posts: 5
    I just picked up my new truck.

1998 Ram 1500 Quad Cab 5.2L Automatic. Loaded w/ leather.

I traded in my 1995 Regular Cab w/ 5.9.

I travel on the hi-way mostly with no load and was looking for a bit better gas mileage. The truck is very nice. I like the changes in dash configuration. Fit and finish are real good.

I'll put about 25K miles a year on this truck. I looked at the ford and chevy but came back to the mopar for looks and comfort. FWIW..I never had any trouble with the previous truck.

I used the Auto-By-Tel service for finding a good deal and carfinance.com for the finance package. It all worked out great. The Dealer's extended warantees were about 500 more than the Warantee Gold products available on the Edmunds Web Site, so I'll probably go that way too.
  • beercanbeercan Member Posts: 2
    I took delivery on Monday 2/9 of a 1998 Dodge Ram Quad Cab with the Diesel engine. Color is Deep Amithest,with tan leather interior. The Ram has 990 miles on it and I can't leave it alone. Wow this is one big truck. I put over @ million miles on over the road hauling and driving big trucks had been this much fun I would still be hauling freight. Got this Dodge for 500.00 over invoice and then will get 500.00 back from Chrysler on a deal with Farm Bureau. Some deal Thanks for all the help.
  • CJimCJim Member Posts: 3
    Anyone have any knowledge of the frame on Dodge
    1tons having problems. The frame goes from what looks like 8inchs to what may be 4 or 5 inchs about half way back under the bed. I tow heavy loads both bumper pull and a 24ft gooseneck flat bed and need the max pulling truck I can get but don't want the frame failing on me.I have heard that towing companies don't use them due to this issue.
    Any comments. Thanks.
  • jyorkejyorke Member Posts: 1
    Wanted to know if you would recommend buying a Dodge 4x4 extended cab with the V8 engine. Am looking now at a 97 with 49,000 miles on it. Dealer is asking $21,995 but is negotiable. Any feedback?
  • reset9reset9 Member Posts: 7
    I wouldn't pay that much money for any Chrysler product; specially a used one with that much high mileage- Considering the poor tract record of Chrysler's power trains ( transmissions) and other components!
    $21,995 can buy a much better and newer product!
  • 606zp606zp Member Posts: 57
    mharde2,

Have you received your '98 1/2 yet? If not, any idea of what deliveries are presently running?
    606zp, My order actually went in on 1/19/98, and was shipped from the factory 2/9/98. I should get it next weekend.
    I was shocked at how fast it happened. I was expecting it to be 8-10 weeks. I hope its the one I ordered.
    Brutus, I did the dealer referral, and it works great. BUT>>>Make sure you call and make an appointment with the person named in the referral. (usually the sales manager or fleet manager)
    If you just go to the lot, a salesman will jump you, and tell you he can make the same deal, then tack on some commission somewhere for himself. You should be able to get very close to the invoice price. Don't forget the still get a 3% hold back from the manufacture based on MSRP.
  • BrutusBrutus Member Posts: 1,113
    mharde2,

I think you said you had a trade-in. How did the Auto-by-Tel dealer do compared to what Edmunds said the trade-in value should be?

I can't believe you're getting your truck so quickly. I am going to have to get off my butt and make the call. I need to do a couple "cleanup" items on my trade-in first. Hopefully, I can get that handled this weekend.

I've got financing lined up at 8.4%. Are dealers offering any better rates?

I'll look for your response in "Miscellaneous" since we have, kind of, diverged from the "Dodge Ram" topic.
    mharde2,

I ordered mine 1/26. The short lead time is good news. I'm anxious to hear what you think of the 24 valve engine when you get yours. I'm driving a 1990 Turbo Diesel automatic now.
    606zp, I saw a couple of 24V's on the lot a couple of weeks ago. Havn't talked to anyone who has driven one yet though. The Cummins Turbo Diesel name plate on the door says 24 Valve on it, so you can tell the difference. I'll let you know the details hopefully next weekend...
  • jackwleejackwlee Member Posts: 3
    I haven't heard from anyone who's driving one of the Dodge "V10's"; does anyone know
    what kind of performance, mileage, etc. to
    expect from this engine (i.e., empty, loaded, etc.)?
  • armadilloarmadillo Member Posts: 14
    Hi, jackwlee.
    I spoke with a buddy who has a friend who owns a RAM pickup with a V10. The owner hauls a huge trailer, and frequently travels from the Sacramento Valley up to the Sierra Nevada mountains. The word is, that the truck gets 11 miles per gallon, no matter what....empty or loaded. This information is from someone who uses the truck in his everyday business, not from someone trying to sell something. I hope this is helpful.
  • 9405jhawk9405jhawk Member Posts: 2
    Am considering buying Ram 3/4 ton diesel for travel trailer pulling. Some highway, mostly mountain back roads (Montana). Wanted auto trans. but hear from these letters that they are unreliable. Have driven Chevy gas pickups mostly. Good trucks but underpowered. Dealers have all told me that auto trans are preferable for trailer towing. What gives? Any suggestions?
  • CJimCJim Member Posts: 3
    9405jhawk

Ive heard the same garbage about auto trannies
    but guess what I tried it and will NEVER have another auto for pulling. My father in laww a mechanical engineer says they rate the auto trans
    at a higher tow capacity making the assumption that the driver doesn't know how to use a manual
    in towing conditions. I have a diesel now with an auto and am trading it for a manual. Much better for keeping the engine on the power curve and for using the engine comming down out of the mountains.
    Good Luck

By the way I was going with the Dodge but am still leary of the frame issue I posted earlier and the release of the Ford super Duty with a 6 speed trans and factory engine brake may take me back to Ford. I pull heavy loads horses, hay and equipment
    pulled on load last year with a gvw of 17500 so I need all I can get for the mountains of Colorado.
  • 9405jhawk9405jhawk Member Posts: 2
    To: cjim from Colorado

Many thanks for the opinion on auto trans. Am still considering the Dodge but will definitely go for manual trans. Still thinking of Dodge becauce my son has one in Wyoming and he loves it as does his wife. However, will also try out Ford. Not considering Chevy because of their diesel engines.
    Again, thanks. Us mountain men stick together.
  • JTOJTO Member Posts: 28
    In the past two weeks I've been looking for a full size P/U to replace my toyota. So far I've narrowed it down to the Ram and F-150. I've come across a '95 2500 SLT with the 5.9, auto for a Great price.
    My question is:
    With all the bad I'm reading here about the Transmission... I'm now not to sure. Is the auto a real problem? Is it more related to heavy towing? Are there any other 'common' problems to look for?
    Thanks,
    JT
  • ben5150ben5150 Member Posts: 2
    Howdy,
    I am considering ordering a new '98 ram 1500, 2 wheel drive, SLT Laramie, automatic trans, Reg cab, short bed truck with a 5.2 318.
    what i need to know is the difference in torque, horsepower, and gas mileage between the 3.21 gears and the 3.55 . It's only a $40 difference but im worried about overtaxing the transmission and gas mileage. Also, limited slip diff vs. reg. Whats the advantage/disadvantage.

I would do next to no towing (couple times a year, 16' bass boat with trailer 1000miles at the most) and i live in central illinois where snow and ice is a small consideration.

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can give
    -ben jammin
  • ben5150ben5150 Member Posts: 2
    howdy,

im kinda new to the dodge truck arena ( i dont even own one yet) and i was wondering how you measure the Gross Vehicle Weight Ratio and what does it actually mean??
    thanks
    -ben jammin
    Ben, GVWR is the weight of the truck, passengers, and cargo. This combination of weight should not exceed the GVWR rating posted on the drivers side door post. This is the maximum weight that the trucks frame, breaks, and drive train can handle. A public scale found at a lot of truck stops is the best way to calculate these weights.
    Hope this helps
    JTO, and everyone else wondering about the reliability of the Dodge Ram Transmission, check out Carpoints Reliability Ratings. You will see a totally different story. Dodge Ram is rated Best of Class. http://carpoint.msn.com/?src=infoseek
    Also I picked up my Cummins 24V Turbo Diesel. Its HOT.....
    mharde2,

Come on, your're being mean.
    I want to hear more than "Its HOT..."
    Give me every little detail.
    606zp, I don't know much, I have only driven it once. I picked it up last night about 9pm, and drove it home. I was going to drive it around this evening but, its been storming ever sense I got home. ( hail, ect) I couldn't get it out of the garage. BUT...The short time I did drive it was awsome..It has great throtle response, and tons of torque. You just lightly touch the accelerator and it leaps...Its suposed to be quieter but it seems almost noiser to me.
    I'll share more after I get some more driving time. I love it, its a great truck.
This discussion has been closed.