Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Infiniti G35 Coupe

Comments

• daveug35daveug35 Member Posts: 4
    Thanks for the response. I'm looking at a 2003, so the HP is 280 on all the models. I dont plan on driving in any bumper to bumper traffic, as I take the train to work. Basically, do you feel that the manual mode on the auto works as well as the manual mode on the manual tran, and by this I mean, do you feel any extra delay cuz its an automatic, or does it feel just as good shifting, but without the clutch?
  • bigairnutbigairnut Member Posts: 15
    I find it very interesting that all of our cars are red. I have looked at numerous other coupes in different colors, some even older than ours, and none of them have this problem. They have exactly what you would expect from a 1-2 year old car - a few chips on the front but not much else unless it was something obvious - like a car door hit or something. My production date is 03/05. I would really like another G35 Coupe as well, but I am very concerned about a repeat problem. If I thought my problem was isolated, maybe I would get another. Although, I have not heard about any color except red with this problem. I have forwarded the link to this website to my dealer for their review. Hopefully, I will have good news to report soon.
  • cheerioboy26cheerioboy26 Member Posts: 412
    Econ allows a higher humidity level, so the air's not quite as cold coming out and (I guess) the compressor isn't working as hard.
  • rollbarrollbar Member Posts: 297
    Yeah, well that's a concern. Dealer has suggested looking at other colors. I like the Athens Blue but it might also show the spots. The only colors that really won't are the silvers and white. Wife won't allow silver dark or light. Don't ask, it's not worth the fight.

I like the white but not my number one choice.

If I don't go with the Coupe, then it's something/anything else for the drive to work and another Porsche for the sunny days. My last two Porsches were fine but I wanted to move on to something else.

Roll
  • raizelgsraizelgs Member Posts: 84
    Shifts can be a little slower sometimes, and you do not have as much control. For instance, you can not start in 2nd from a dead stop. Upshifts under acceleration are pretty crisp, but sometimes there is a delay when downshifting, because the system matches the engine speed to the lower gear before it shifts.

I like it, however remember you have an extra gear with the manual so the ratios are closer. The real choice is; do you want to shift all of the time or just some of the time?
    Do all the years have the rev matching feature? I know my 2004 FX35 did not match revs when I downshifted. Same motor and tranny I think, (not sure though).

About the auto. It has a learning feature (very limited) that attemps to match shift points to your driving style. I don't know how often it resets or adjusts to driving habits but I have found you can confuse it with unexpected behavior. For instance if you accelerate hard consistently and then one time back off before an upshift you get a protracted shift that is a little ugly. It happens every once in a while, it's not a chronic problem.

Personally, I prefer the auto over standard for daily driving for exactly the reasons pointed out by Raizelgs.

Roll
    Raizelgs pointed out the standard has 18 more horsepower but you should also know the auto has more torque and the standard weighs slightly more.

It all comes down to working harder in traffic as a trade off for open road rowing. I prefer to relax on my daily commute.

Roll
  • yellowcaryellowcar Member Posts: 46
    Yet another interesting parallel here.

My daily driver is a 2000 Boxster, now with 78,000 on the clock. My third Porsche in 20 years. I have a few postings in the Boxster forum also. I'll leave it to you to speculate on the color!!! ;)

Gotta keep the spouses happy. Good luck with the selection process.
    Do you frequent Porsche Pete's Boxster board? I was active on the board for a couple of years but don't visit much anymore. I'm in the list of contributors. Do a search on Boxster jacking instructions. lol
  • queenofkingsqueenofkings Member Posts: 1
    I am having this same problem with a used 2003 G35 I just purchased. Mine happens more than once a day. Every time I start the car after having it sit for more than an hr or so, it makes that same noise at around 5 mph. It's really got me worried. You're sure this is normal??? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated! Thank You!
    Yellow and Roll - what's the status on your buy backs? Have the deals been completed? If not, what kind of time are they talking? Infiniti has sent my case to their arbitrator for review. Another red 2005 G owner has contacted me with the same problem. He is from NY. The woman from my area is still waiting as well. That's 5 red 2005 G-35s with the exact same paint problem - and that's all we know about! Anybody else out there with the same problem?
    We confirmed yesterday that our transaction will take place Wednesday of next week at our dealer. The Dallas agent for Infiniti Consumer Affairs will handle the turnover. We will sign a limited power of attorney for the title transfer and receive a check for our equity at that time, a couple of days later our bank will receive the funds for the loan payoff.

I will post a follow-up note next week with additional details.

Jim
    My case went to the arbitrator on Monday. I am to get a fax with details of the buyback. I suspect, like Jim, they will follow the lemon law here in Ohio, but I am only guessing based on Jim's comments. So meanwhile I wait.

I will get another Coupe, I love the car. My only complaint was the paint. Of course the question is what color. Looks like red is out as much as I liked the red. Thinking Athens Blue/Wheat. Silver is smarter but wife won't let me bring a silver car home.

Roll
  • dmarcus48dmarcus48 Member Posts: 139
    Friend of a friend has a lakeshore blue with wheat. Nice combo.
    Infiniti made their offer for a repurchase. They refer to our lemon law, (in my case that’s Ohio) and constructed the offer according to the law.

I am satisfied and will accept. According to the law they pay all my upfront costs, cap reduction, deposit, fees etc and in addition refund all lease payments I've made to date. My obligation is for any damage to the vehicle, (there is none). So I will be in a position as if I had never leased the vehicle. There is no consideration for the maintenance I invested but I have no complaint given the offer they have made.

This is the solution I hoped for since I had invested considerable cap reduction and also turned over the largest deposit they would accept (this effectively bought down the money factor and was fully refundable). Of course I never dreamed I would have a problem and then, when I did, feared they would keep my deposit to repaint the car when I turned it in.

Jim,

Ohio law does not provide for a use charge as far as I can tell. And Infiniti has not mentioned a use charge in their offer letter. Can you say....does Texas law provide for a use charge and/or did they request reimbursement for mileage driven by you in their offer letter?

This is a big ticket item for me. The car had about 8300 miles on it when I first brought the problem to their attention; it now has about 11000 miles.

I’m in shopping mode now but still plan to stick with the Coupe. I like the Athens Blue but do have concerns over a strong color and if I will again have paint chips. The Lakeshore blue is an idea although it is a bit pale for my taste. I’ll check it out; thanks dmarcus.

Roll
    Roll,
    This is a great update and I am really pleased for you.

Regarding the usage fee: it is a provision of the Texas law and was cited in the initial offer letter we received from ICA. The formula for the calculation was also cited. Although I cannot recall the specifics, it appeared to be based on a total useful life of the vehicle of 120,000 miles.

Also, consider this: when our car was inspected by the field engineer, we immediately surrendered it and obtained a service car for routine use. They later moved us into a '06 sedan demo which we are still using. We were not going to risk an accident or other event that would potentially wipe out the deal. We have not driven the beautiful red coupe since early February. My wife had it for all of 90 days. :cry:

Now that you have an offer in hand, consider working with your dealer to get the car off the road ASAP. With your commitment to remaining with Infiniti, they might work with you on interim wheels.

Best regards and good luck with the process.

Jim
    Good. I have their initial offer letter and there is no mention of a use charge. Which seems to track with the Ohio Lemon law; I just wanted to be sure.

Thank you for a great idea. I have been concerned worrying about having an unfortunate accident that damages the car and spoils the deal. I think I will turn it in as you did. The dealer has already offered me the use of a car while they find a new one for me. Apparently what I want is not available in the US. (Good grief)

Got to say; these posts have been a huge help in getting me to this point. Thanks to all and especially Yellowcar. :D
    BTW... yet another parallel in our stories: I am an Ohio native, born in Dayton but have lived in Texas since age 10. My Dad's family is from Darke County, SW portion of the state.

Moderator - please be patient with me, no intention of turning your forum into Ancestry.com. This will be my only comment on this topic. ;)
    Great news Roll. Congratulations! Hopefully I will hear something similar this week as well. Good idea about the loaner car Jim. I too have been worried about someone hitting me and throwing a monkey wrench in the works. I will ask my dealer for a loaner today. I have been driving it since Feb when I first made them aware of the problem. I'll keep you posted when I hear something.

Chris
  • wale_bate1wale_bate1 Member Posts: 1,982
    Very encouraging to hear these cases settling this way. Even though I'm no longer in the market for the coupe (decided I liked my car too much to part with it, so I bought it out), it's good to know there is accountability at Nissan. Keeps them in the picture for the future, frankly.
    Now I'm furious. I called Infiniti Consumer Affairs for a status update on my case. They have rejected my buy back request! I cannot believe that they can reject my request and approve two others when we all have the exact same car, same year, same color and the SAME PROBLEM. I have been very patient with Infiniti. I bought the car in Oct 05 and first brought the problem to their attn in Feb 06. Once again, I have requested my dealer to intervene on my behalf. I will give it one more try before I am forced to go thru the BBB Autoline or my attorney.
    Roll & Yellow -

Is there any additional info you can give me that I can use to help me with my case? Can you provide your case number or the name of the dealership you bought through? I don't want to jeopardize your cases, just gather some additional info to get mine to the same resolution.

Thanks,
    Chris
    Chris,
    Our transfer is scheduled for Wednesday and I will post an update after that, probably Thursday. Be patient.
    Jim
    Mine is about to be scheduled. I'll report back after the deal finalizes.
  • plummy2plummy2 Member Posts: 6
    I am considering purchasing a G35 Coupe. I have a question I want to throw out to the current owners of the G35 Coupe first...

I live in the Northeast which means many days of the year with snow and ice. Will the rear-wheel drive be able to handle the poor driving conditions adequately? Many years ago (late 80's) I had a rear-wheel drive Pinto and it spun on hills because of the rear-wheel drive and lack of weight.

I know the G35 Sedan comes in all-wheel drive but I really prefer the Coupe model. Will I have poor driving traction in bad weather conditions with the rear-wheel drive or does the limited-slip rear differential and traction control system make handling in bad weather much better?

Thank you!
  • raizelgsraizelgs Member Posts: 84
    :) The coupe is fine in the winter if you buy a good set of winter tires. The summer rubber that comes with the car makes you think you are driving a hockey puck in the winter.

I have an automatic coupe with the sport-tuned suspension, which comes with a limited slip differential. I bought Dunlop Winter Sport M3s and the car was fine. :)

Blizzaks have also gotten positive responses on this board. I live in the Detroit area, and we only had one heavy snow fall this past winter, but it was over six inches and the coupe was fine with the snows. One other caveat, you may have a hard time finding the snow tires in 19" sizes if you get the sport suspension. I had to buy a set of 18" wheels, because I could not find the snows in a 19" size.
    First the emotional part:

It is done! The turnover to Infiniti took place yesterday as planned. We received a check for our equity and the bank will receive payment for the loan balance in a couple of days. The beautiful red coupe we owned for less than 6 months is no longer ours. Looking back, the wait during the special order process lasted longer than our period of ownership. After completing the paperwork at the Infiniti dealership yesterday, we drove a short way to the same organization's Lexus dealership and took possession of a 2006 Breakwater Blue IS250.

Will we ever look to Infiniti again for new car? Perhaps. We continue to be a fan of Nissan due the overall reliability and low cost of ownership of their cars. I can guarantee that if we do go back to Infiniti it will only be with a clause in the purchase agreement regarding a minimum thickness of the paint. My wife waited years to get her red sports car, that need has not yet been met.

Now for the factual part:

For anyone needing a case citation, the file # at ICA is 5284388 and the VIN is JNKCV54E46M700718. Please keep in mind, each case is specific to it's situation and unique circumstances. The fact that our car was repurchased should not be construed as an automatic approval for anyone else. As I said in previous posts, our relationship with the dealer paid huge dividends in getting this quickly resolved.

Here is some information we have obtained regarding the paint on Infiniti vehicles:
    - The tolerance for the paint thickness is 3.5 mils to 6.5 mils
    - This is a total thickness for all paint above the metal; the primer, the color coat, and the clear coat
    - Most Infiniti's coming from Japan are running at the 3.5 mil thickness
    - A notable exception in the Infiniti line is the QX56, which is assembled in the US and typically has a paint thickness of 6.5 mils.
    - Measurement of the paint thickness is a common procedure with a device called a paint meter.

For comparisons, the typical paint thickness on a new Lexus is 5.5 mils.

I hope our experience is informational to others experiencing problems with paint quality.

Best regards to all,
    Jim
    CONGRATULATIONS! Thank you very much for sharing your info with me (us). Where did you obtain the info on the paint specifications for Infiniti? It would be nice to have "official" info. I had an auto paint distributor test my car. He tested a total of 12 areas on my car. 4 areas are under 3.5 mils - 2.3, 2.5, 3.3 and 3.4. 4 others are at 3.5 - 3.7. None were greater than 4.5 mils. By contrast, he tested a brand new Dodge Charger in his lot. The Dodge ranged from 4.5 to 5.0 mils in the four locations he checked.

Thanks again for the info and help Jim. Good luck with the Lexus!
    Chris
    Chris,
    You will just have to trust me on this one - the information is good. I will not compromise my source with a disclosure.
    Jim
    I understand Jim.
    I forgot to ask in my last post, do you have any pictures of the paint chips on your car you can post? I am curious how many and how big they are. I have over 100 pencil point chips on the front of the hood and about 15-20 chips elsewhere ranging up to the size of a pencil eraser (probably a little larger). I can pick additional paint off with my fingernail!
    Thanks,
    Chris
    No pictures available. My wife tried when she took the car in, did not know about macro mode on the camera. We had only 1,200 miles on the car when I spotted the problem in January during a routine wash job.

The hood had about a dozen 1/16" to 3/32" chips with primer showing across the nose, just above the grill. We also located numerous very small chips (less than 1/16") spread all over the car in random and unexpected locations. This is what drew the interest of the dealer service manager and the regional service manager who was on site that day.
  • maximafanmaximafan Member Posts: 592
    Wow, yellowcar, what a shame! I sure hope
    that Nissan/Infiniti will resolve this issue
    in regard to the paint/mils in future
    vehicles. This must be the same problem I've
    had with my 2002 Nissan Maxima. The only
    thing on this car that I have not been happy
    with over the four years is the amount of
    paint chips. It's been bothering me for the
    better part of the last two years. I thought
    maybe some of it was my fault for not catching
    for instance, bug gunk in time before getting
    it washed or whatever. I bet it was hard
    turning over your beautiful Red G-coupe. I'm
    interested in how you like or would compare
    the IS250, as I have been eying these two cars
    among others, when my lease is up soon. I say
    this because the G35 coupe is the only
    two-door I would consider at this point, and
    I look at the IS250 just like a two-door
    because it is quite small in the back. Let
    me know how you like the IS. Good luck!
    Good information Jim, thanks.

I have done a bit of informal checking looking for chips in other Coupes and poking around the wash bay of the dealership. These guys wash the cars day in and day out. The reds have been the most sensitive to chipping. Some chips show up on other colors but the guys say the reds were the worst. The later model reds, they say, don’t seem to show chips, they think the factory has fixed “it”. This is their opinion.

I examined three Coupes in the used lot, none red. They were 2003’s and one 2004. Silver, a bright blue and a black. A few chips on the blue but not many and probably would not get my attention if I wasn’t looking for them. No chips I could see on the silver and maybe one or two on the Black. My red on the other hand has so many, some of which are large, that you can’t help but notice them within moments of looking at the hood.

I plan, and have agreed, to take another Coupe (but it won’t be red this time). I love the car and have not yet had my fill of what I think is the perfect combination for spirited driving/daily commute and when absolutely necessary, picking up groceries. And, (this is the priceless part), I smile when I look at it in the garage. I think that’s saying something since I came out of a Boxster (6years). I’m not counting the FX35 since there is no comparison.

This one will be Ivory with wheat and it will have a clear bra. Silver would be the best choice but the wife unit won’t allow a silver car and I’m interested in keeping the seas calm for smoother sailing. (My RC helicopter hobby drives her nuts.)

I want to add a comment regarding the cooperation of the dealership. I could not agree with Jim more. My dealer went out on a limb for me and in my opinion, was the reason Infiniti agreed to repurchase the vehicle. They (dealer)jumped to my side early in the process and continued the fight even when I was distracted by other things. I think this is the key. If you don’t have the dealer backing you up, you will probably have a much tougher time getting a buyback offer out of Infiniti. That’s my guess anyway.

Oh, the dealer wins too; I go there for all my maintenence even if I can save two bucks going somewhere else.

Roll
    I checked the information from my paint guy regarding the thickness of the paint on my Red car. It was 4.5 mills more or less all around the car.

He claimed my problem was delamination caused by the color coat not bonding to the sealer in production.

I wonder if my problem is really different than yours Jim. Maybe I will find out more when we settle.

Roll
  • georocks22georocks22 Member Posts: 6
    Hello:
    I own a 2006 Red G35 Coupe Sport. The number of rock chips I have is awful after only 400 km. I have taken it to the dealer and complained to Nissan Canada and they are saying it is "road hazards".
    I do not believe this, there are far too many chips on it for that. More than my older vehicles with far more kms.
    Any suggestions for me?
    Thanks
    Georocks22
    I can only suggest you look through this forum extensively for the discussions by others on this topic, especially on the issue of dealer relationship.

You might consider getting "on record" with your dealer with a warranty complaint.

Also, look over the discussion points regarding an independent appraisal of the problem by a highly qualified paint shop. You must build a compelling factual (not emotional) case if the dealer and corporate organizations are not receptive to your complaint. Rollbar was successful in getting his complaint reopened with such an appraisal.

Does Canada or your province have lemon law provisions or similar? If so, acquaint yourself thoroughly with the details of how they work.

Good luck.
    I surrender the 05 Red Coupe on the 17th. The new car likely won't be in; the Dealer offered a loaner until the new Coupe arrives.

I'll let you know how it goes after the ceremony. :blush:

Roll
    One more day for you Roll! I am still waiting on a decision from Infiniti. After receiving no satisfaction from Infiniti Consumer Affairs, I escalated my case to the corporate/executive office. I will keep everyone posted.
  • ivorypearlgivorypearlg Member Posts: 53
    Hey about the paint chips .... I own a 03' Ivory Pearl G35 Coupe loaded if that makes a difference, and I have several LARGE chips on my bumper... I know that there are stones on the road and what not, but both previous cars (2000) SAAB 9-3 Viggen, and a (2002) Lexus GS430 never had any paint chips on the bumper, or along any other place... I'm told thou that SAAB has some of the best paint on there cars... So be careful about Ivory Pearl G's ...
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,504
    Everyone is apparently trying to recalibrate to the "green-friendly" water based crap paint.

Some are more successful that others. Some colours are better than others. Bottom line -- they're all bad, in terms of durability and finish.

I had a '73 240-Z painted with real oil-based paint at the factory that would knock your socks off in terms of shine (no orange peel) & lasted well. I had it repainted (with Ditzler oil-based paint) at ~205K due to collision damage, and that too looked brilliant. Neither chipped.

That was then. . .
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
    Made the exchange today. Nice fellow from the vendor that handles Nissan's buybacks looked at the car, said it was beautiful, was stunned at the miles I put on it, (12,400), and handed me the check. No use charge under Ohio Lemon law; the refund was complete, (except for gasoline and maintenance).

I feel a bit let down now that it's gone. I really did like the car; a lot.

Hope the rest of the readers with a problem get the same great treatment I got.

Roll
    Congrats again Roll. I am sure you are relieved it is finally completed. Can you provide your VIN and case number as Yellow did? That would be a tremendous help. What does Infiniti do with the car after they buy it back?

My car also has 12k miles on it. I took it by the dealer today for an oil change. There is a G35 coupe in the showroom and you'll never guess what it has on it now....a clear bra protector across the lower/front 10" of the hood, the entire front bumper, the side fenders around the headlights and on the front/back sides of the side mirrors! The dealer is selling this aftermarket option for $1000. There are magnets on the car pointing to the clear bra stating that it protects from road debris! I find this very, very interesting. Obviously, the dealer recognizes that there is a problem as this has not been shown on any coupe at the dealership in the 6 months I have had my car. I find it very disturbing though that they think you should have to pay an additional $1000 to protect the paint on your $35k car.

Congratulations again,
    Chris
    Roll,

We two are in a rather exclusive club, but certainly not by choice. As is often said "I feel your pain". Fortunately for us, my wife did not get that much actual time in the car so the sense of loss has rapidly diminished.

I'm glad you got this behind you with no financial hit. Good luck with the ivory coupe. The loaner sedan my wife had was Ivory over Wheat, a very nice combination.

Best regards,
    Jim
    I asked that question. The vendor says they will eventually ship the car back to an Infiniti Tech center and examine it after which it will be destroyed. (?)

There is nothing whatsoever wrong with the car other than the paint. Ohio Lemon Law says the car can’t be resold in the State without what appears to be a strong disclosure. I imagined the car would be resold but more likely in an as-is condition through an auction.

The Ivory will have the clear bra as did my red. Never did get any chips on the mirrors or the rear deck lid; but everything else had chips. I am trusting the problem is less likely to show up on Ivory and after another year of experimenting with their paint process. If I do get spots, I don’t expect them to show on Ivory like they did on the Red. I like the car enough to assume this risk.

Roll

Don't have the vin here at work.
  • stingray2019stingray2019 Member Posts: 13
    I am considering purchasing this car in the next month or two and was reading about the paint issues. Everyone with the issue seems to have a red 2005 car. I am looking at the Blue 2006.

So does the issue effect the blue cars as well as the red and was it fixed on the 2006 model?

Thanks
    Mark "Stingray2019" Santora
    Our car was a red 2006 built in August, delivered in November. The problem is more prevalent, or at least noticeable, on red cars. I recommend you read some of the posts on this forum from February forward and form your own opinion.
  • stingray2019stingray2019 Member Posts: 13
    I will dig through these boards some more. Thanks for the reply.

Mark "Stingray2019" Santora
    Yellow - I thought yours was a 2005 model like mine and Roll's.
    Roll - can you post your VIN and case number when you get a chance.

Thanks.
    See email.