Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Mustang (2004 and earlier)

Comments

• snakerbillsnakerbill Member Posts: 272
    Glad to see you took the time to check out the PZEV option. It will probably take a while before most people looking for a small car tip to what Ford has done. Mine runs really good, and has not had anything wrong with it so far. (2200 miles) My wife likes it so well that she is hogging it up. I may never get to drive it again.
  • john_324john_324 Member Posts: 974
    Re the PZEV, it's cool to see engine options being available again on cars. I've never liked being forced to buy a whole range of options I don't want (the "up-level" version of the car usually) in order to get the better engine.
  • revdrluvrevdrluv Member Posts: 417
    Or to get the options you want you are forced to buy more engine than you need. I hate the way they package options here.
  • tomcat630tomcat630 Member Posts: 854
    The 2004 Mustang isn't a "future model" anymore, so is this thread necessary??
  • snakerbillsnakerbill Member Posts: 272
    Why not keep the thread, we all seem to be having fun talking about things, so why get rid of it???
  • shov6shov6 Member Posts: 177
  • SylviaSylvia Member Posts: 1,636
    The discussion no longer appears in the Future Vehicles message board. Over the next week or so the name will change to simply "Ford Mustang." Lastly, the "New Mustang Owner Chat" discussion and this one will be merged to make one "grand" Ford Mustang discussion.

That should about do it...
  • obiwankenobi1obiwankenobi1 Member Posts: 290
    Forget the V6's....Forget the 2005's...Go out and buy an 03 or 04 Mach 1. That is the way to go! It is what I did, and I don't regret it at all! 305hp (dynos at 320) and 270rwhp!

Go for it! You will LOOOVE it!
    On the topic of Mach 1s, where is our old friend AmericanFlag?!

Don't know if you caught it, but last night on "24", they finally took your suggestion: Jack commandeers a new Mach 1 (in azure blue) to escape his pursuers. Sounded pretty good too as Jack gunned it through the streets LA. Only complaint was it wasn't a real car chase... ; )
  • dodge55dodge55 Member Posts: 1
    I couldn't post this question on the Maintenance board. I get an error message. But I can post on all other boards fine.

Anyway, does anyone know if you have to jack up or take the engine out of a '94 Mustang in order to get the oil pan off. I need to check some rod bearing noise. Thanks.
  • ponyrider2ponyrider2 Member Posts: 29
    Hi

I just bought a Mustang Convertible that I need to have shipped to me. Coming from the West Coast to Midwest,
    Has anyone ever had a car transported? If so..
    Did you use enclosed or open transport?
    What would you do/not do again regarding your experiences?

Thanks for all your input.
    Ponyrider2
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    If it's a really really nice car you want closed transport, otherwise almost for sure there will be some damage...maybe not major but something. If it's a resto project, I think open transport would be fine...and certainly cheaper.
    Thanks,

the car is really nice, almost new condition. I would like to go with enclosed but the cost is around $450-600 higher. One transport co told me they usually only have show cars going enclosed, with about 90% of their business open.

If there was damage (even minor) I would want it fixed, but the color may be hard to match, it's laser red. So that's why I am torn...

Any other suggestions?
    Thanks, Ponyrider2
  • SylviaSylvia Member Posts: 1,636
    We do have a Car Transport Companies discussion in our Smart Shopper message board. You might try asking people in there as well.
  • newbuyer31newbuyer31 Member Posts: 31
    Hey, Pony don't be so uptight just think about it it will get scratched up anyway especially at the grocery store. People are so careless with the car doors and just swing them open. My Mustang has alot of dents and rainbow colors on it from this. It can't stay new forever.
    Just something to think about before spending the extra cash. Also, correct me if I am wrong but would like to think the transport company would have some type of insurance in case of damage?
    Yeah they have insurance and are usually okay about damage but for some little scratch or something you may find it hard to prove.
    Shifty, you make a good point as it is a used car, I overlooked that originally thinking it was brand new, But still, would the cost of fixing up a few scratches be enough to warrant the extra shipping charge as Pony stated above?
    I understand even if it is a used car you want it to be in the best condition possible and sure you would not like to see even small surface scratches, but is it really worth it to pay the extra money? That is the million dollar question for Pony. Pony just decide which is better for you and go with it. If you worry alot about the possibility of damage by the transport company by all means go pay the extra few hundred dollars. Most likely though, it will be ok and you could save a few hundred dollars. It is something to think about and decide what YOU feel comfortable with. Think about it and let your instinct give the final word. Take care and good luck.
    It would be hard to advise him without knowing the car itself and without knowing how he handles the idea of possible damage.

For me, if it was my very nice Mercedes diesel being shipped, open air shipping is fine, I can deal with a little ding or whatever. But if it were the restored Jaguar XK140 I once owned, I wouldn't dare ship open air, since the car was used for show.

If he is going to use his Mustang on the street every day, or nearly so, then open air is fine, because as you say, sooner or later it's going to be dinged anyhow---and sadly, probably anonymously. At least the shipper is accountable.
  • jeffmust2jeffmust2 Member Posts: 811
    Can you at least get someone to take high-res digital photos of the vehicle from every angle BEFORE it gets loaded for shipment? That's cheap insurance documentation for a possible claim.
    Hey Guys,
    Thanks for all your input. I have been searching the web alot and have found a couple of really decent prices for shipping enclosed transport. The lowest one is only 275 more than open ( of the carriers I may choose ) SO...for me, I'm leaning on the enclosed.

This car is used yes, but less than 20K on it and in almost perfect condition. Plus being Metallic Paint, that is always so hard to match, cost is much more to do it right, than the 150-200 bucks they may give you for a scratch.

Most transport company's do and pre/post walk around on the car so hopefully this will be good. And mostly I'm going with reputation and comments from others who have used transport.

Signing out for now, I'll be back when I get the car. Ponyrider2
    Jeffmust2,

Yes, that is a good suggestion. I have had the ladies son send me about 20 shots of all the car. The pics are good and clear.

thanks, ponyrider2
    But the real question here is: what year Mustang is it??

: )
    it's a 95 GT Convertible
    ponyrider2
  • 45auto45auto Member Posts: 16
    Happy new year mustang fans!!! After years of sucking up to my wife and threating to buy another motorcycle my wife finally said," go get a mustang gt convertible!!" Got a 35th anniversary gt white shes nice a couple of questions though as this is my first stang. What kind of fuel do i use- Premium or regular? as best i can tell she is stock. also, where
     can I find an owners manual. also would like to know of other message boards on the net. thanks
  • 45auto45auto Member Posts: 16
    What a great bunch of folks there are here!!! First of all, happy new year. thanks john324 and jeffmust for your assistance. Allow me to presume upon your graciousness once again. First of all, yes john it has the appearence package, and the car only had 38k on it when I bought it!! Any suggestions on where to buy accessories? How to keep my white top clean, best wax,Leather cleaner/conditioner and exhaust system. once again thanks for your help. P.S. got to drive top down on a warm sunny north missisippi afternoon. IT was great!!!
    I really like that appearance package, esp. the honeycomb paneling...very retro.

As for accessories, depends on what sort of accessories for which you're looking. A neat convertible accessory I think is Ford's tonneau cover, which covers up the back seat/top when the top's down. Runs about $110. Even has a little pony on it. :-)

Exhaust-wise, the Mustang has probably the most choices of any car in the world! Flowmaster mufflers are a classic favorite, the Magnaflow system is all the rage right now...I personally have Ford Racing's high-flow system, which I love.

Appearance care is pretty much as you'd think it to be; nothing out of the ordinary. The biggest debate is usually about which wax to use. The zealots (the guys who wax their car twice a day) usually refuse to even say the name of anything other than Zaino. But for the less fanatical among us, there are a bunch of good choices readily available. I personally have had very good results with the Wax Shop's Superglaze (available at Pep Boys or Autozone)...it's non-abrasive, you do the whole car at once, and it comes off pretty easily.
  • 3trigs3trigs Member Posts: 2
    With 3000k rebates along with at least 5% off sticker, they should be quite popular..If Ford carries over the rebate in the 04 calendar year I shall pop for a red one with 5spd..

The manual shift engine gets a forged crankshaft and the automatic has a cast crank..Since the 5 spd is allowed to rev higher than the automatic equipped one, the manual is a strong package and should retain reasonable value over the years..

Any input from current owners of a Mach1 would be appreciated..I am a retired senior with oddles of time to shop..Current stable is a 96 Caddy Northstar and an 02 Intrigue..Caddy is up for replacement for it is nearing 90k miles and needs another home, original owner and has been a great car..

The Mach1 is well equipped in the braking, suspension, and engine areas, whereas the std GT is somewhat lacking..Owned a new 71SS350 Camaro back in the old days and it was an outstanding car, however my 82Z-28 was a flop..

Look forward to another blast in a howling Detroit V-8..
    Get "competition orange" instead of red...with the black striping, it's probably one of the coolest colors I've seen on a Mustang! : )

I'm guessing the red is the GT and the blue is the V6. I think I like the more because of the sleeker body and lack of spoiler. Looks a lot sharper that way imo.

The interior looks even nicer than I anticipated.
  • blacktalonblacktalon Member Posts: 203
    I really like the looks of the red GT. I am disappointed that it'll keep the solid rear axle, though.

If they manage to come up with a version with IRS for around $30K, it could steal some 350Z buyers...
  • dverespeydverespey Member Posts: 56
    Must suck to be a dealer trying to sell current inventory now.

I haven't driven a Mustang since I traded the 89 GT Conv in years ago. This design has me interested. I sure hope they improved their production quality to match the nice new design.
    Perhaps not as bad as we might think...given the probable discounting, the dealer will get the 1) casual buyer who's always wanted a Mustang, and now they're reasonable enough for his budget, and 2) the diehards who, worried about the probable "posh-ness" of the new one, want a current model. Yes, there are actually some out there (like me) who like the crudeness of the current Mustang, and miss the days of the "stripper-with-a-V8" models... : )

But things have improved immensely since 1989 (man, those convertibles were shakers of the first order!), even with the current model...
    Well most diehard mustang guys are all about the old 5.0 models. Anything with a modular engine is "inferior" to them.

Rawness can be a wanted trait in a sports car, but Mustang crudeness is not the desireable kind. Since the upcoming model will retain the solid rear axle, I can see no reason to prefer the outgoing model. (unless it is for the offers given to clear the lots and make way for the new ones)

Steering feel is the most often sacrificed element when a car goes "posh". Since the steering on the outgoing model is over-assisted and gives zero feedback, it can only stay the same or improve. The engine is actually gaining considerable performance so that isn't going soft. The suspension sounds as if it will give the Mustang better handling than ever before.

What "crudeness" is there to make one prefer the outgoing model? Road noise? Exploding gas-tank design?

I am not trying to flame (I own a Mustang myself!), I just can't see any way in which the old will be better than the new. (unless you are weird and actually like the old styling more)
    oh... but a stripper-with-a-V8 version of the new one would be outstanding! Ford should consider making a GTS model Mustang.
    First off, thanks John and Snaker for your insurance reviews. I spoke to soon before about my Mustang. As I said this is my first it is only a V6 and 97. I now have 56,100 miles on it.
    I have not had a problem before but got one now. I almost got to work today the car was running fine as before. Then suddenly here comes smoke out from under the hood fully on the drivers side and about from the middle of the front of the hood to the driver's side and from the vents across the whole windshield. Then I did make it to work and there was a burning smell of course. All of the guages showed normal. My plan when I left was to drive as far as I could go before dumping it off and walking the rest of the way home assuming the engine was finished anyway but coming home it drove fine. Does anyone know what it sounds like, if it is the engine going south or maybe a hose or someting gone bad. And yes I will tell you I am a girl who knows nothing about cars, so the stereotype shoe fits me and I wear it. So please forgive me if my question here sounds dumb.

I am going to make an appointment with the dealer tomorrow for the weekend to check it out. The only thing I must say is although any machine can have a problem, I am rather dissapointed with this as I have never owned a vehicle with any problems at this mileage, maybe I was just lucky before or it has to do with specific vehicles encountering problems. I took real good care of this car, I only use the highest grade gas, change the oil even before 3,000 miles and do all the maintenance on or before the scheduled time. I bought the car from a reputable dealership and even got the carfax report to make sure it was good. I now wonder if Mustang was a mistake for me. I used to have a Ranger pickup before this I had for over 10 years never one problem and had run it up into the high 100,000 I totalled it in an accident or still would have it today. Wonder if I should go back to one again. Thanks for any advisement one may have.
    Also, all of the fluids are fine, so what the hell could it be? Thanks again for listening.
  • jeffmust2jeffmust2 Member Posts: 811
    First, I'm no expert on what caused the smoke...
    however, I do know that it was a major mistake to keep driving a vehicle that was in that condition, whether or not the smoke cleared up after a while. No matter how close you were to work...could you not have called a coworker to come get you?

Lucky you are that something major did not occur...you could have lost a lot more than a day at work.

Have the dealer or a well-regarded neighborhood mechanic pick the car up with a tow truck and rent or borrow another vehicle for a few days so you can determine your best course of action when the report comes back.

That much smoke will lead to a diagnosis fairly quick...but you might not like the price tag for the repair.

Good luck and let us know the cause.

Jeff
  • dverespeydverespey Member Posts: 56
    I sure hope they have improved some, that 89 was a mess.

Agree with the stripper v8 my 86 was of that ilk and was a blast to drive. Although my 65 was more fun.
    Redrluv, re rawness, you're right about the 5.0s...but it's getting very tough to find an unmolested 5.0 at this point. Most of them have either been modded to death, or driven into the ground. Plus the 4.6 aftermarket has taken off, and the Fox platform is pretty much a known quantity at this point.

So perhaps you're right, and I misspoke...it's not perceived poshness so much as the known vs. the unknown. Add to that quality-control concerns surrounding the roll-out of a completely new car with a largely new engine, plus the performance parts situation, and maybe that adds up to some enthusiast sales of the current gen.

And I like the current style! Sure the new one's hot, but I like the current one just as much... : )
  • ballparkballpark Member Posts: 41
    It's got a "live axel" because Ford listens to the people who actualy buy these cars. 'nuff said.
  • ballparkballpark Member Posts: 41
    and 300 HP. Talk about having your cake and eating it too. I didn't believe it whan another poster wrote about it, but I just read it with my own eyes in both Motor Trend and Hot Rod Magazine. That's gonna sting for a while at GM and Chrysler. Heck, that's gonna sting at Honda and Nissan too. No one has a product putting out over (I said "over") 260 HP that doesn't also require "premium" gas. Ford needs to slap these new 3 Valve engines in everything they've got.
  • 3point1v63point1v6 Member Posts: 18
    just wondering if anyone here could direct me to a website with fords official 1/4 mile time for a 99-04 mustang gt. thanks in advance for any help.
  • mustang3688mustang3688 Member Posts: 3
    I will turn a 16 in march and i want get 99 or a 98 ford mustang coupe but i want to know idf my insurance money cost a lot since mustang is a sport car, and i'm a teen driver.
  • mustang3688mustang3688 Member Posts: 3
    does anybody know how much will my insurance cost if i drive a 99 mustang coupe and i'm a teen driver.
    Thanks Jeff for your input. it was a bad hose, it is back in action now. Dealer said it is in good shape no other problems caused, so that's good. I hope it's true.
    Agree with rev, scroll to the other board, you will get more responses to your questions. Also, just for an idea, get a quote from an insurance company (if you will be on your parents policy) ask them to get you a general estimate. That's all you can really do for now until you see the actual car you want to buy, then get the vin# run it and you will know for sure. You will have a very high bill at first though, no matter what.
    Expect for you at the very least being generous about $1,000 dollars a year. Probably more like $2,000 for you or more even if you have the safety ed driver's course in school. Cheaper of course if you are looking at liability only but don't think so.
    Please be careful not to post any Mustang website that features automotive forums. Thank you.

Shifty the Host