Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Mustang (2004 and earlier)

Comments

• dan1dan1 Member Posts: 76
    I currently own an 01 Bullitt and my kids ride in it often they are 4 and 6 years old so if the 05's have any more room there should not be a problem. I have not been able to get a look at the new Mustang in the metal as they keep selling within hours of coming in here in Denver. I have checked two large dealers twice and they can't keep them on the lots!
  • barjonbarjon Member Posts: 27
    I can confirm there is no inside trunk release.

As far as the extra 6" to the wheelbase, the increase is noticeable in the front legroom. I would guess that if you don't need to move the front seats back as far, in turn there'll be a little more room in the back. I'm 6'4", and I don't need the driver's seat all the way back.

I took the V6 premium that I spoke of earlier on a test drive a few nights ago. The salesman, about 5'8" tall sat in the passenger seat, and my buddy, at 5'6", was comfortable in the back seat behind him.

I take delivery of the car this evening!
  • silver_bulletsilver_bullet Member Posts: 1,339
    As a divorced male baby boomer who has watched Bullitt and The Great Escape more times than is good for him, I'm dead in the crosshairs of Ford's marketing department - I must buy this car :) Sure, a V8 is fun, but I'm old enough now that I don't have anything to prove, so the V6 with a manual gearbox looks great to me. I prefer the cleaner look of the V6 car, the machined 16" wheels with 65-series tires, and the slightly better fuel economy of the six. And please - no rear wing or "go faster" tape stripes. Has anyone actually driven a V6 with the stick? What are your impressions? There are cars on the ground here in Houston, but I have yet to see one with a manual... an auto trans is out of the question.
  • john_324john_324 Member Posts: 974
    Well, while I haven't driven a new Mustang V6 with a manual, I have in the outgoing model. And that was a lot of fun, and pretty quick to boot. I can only imagine that the '05 will be a little bit faster and much better handling.

I was seriously considering buying a V6 5spd when I got my '02. Ended up with a GT with which I'm very happy, but would probably have been happy with the V6 as well.

Gotta say that I LOVE the '05 V6 wheels with the spinners. They look better than the V8 wheels to me...
  • redlx50redlx50 Member Posts: 3
    We have been told that V6 manual cars are on hold and only V6 auto or GTs will be built for now.
    John_324, I couldn't agree more about the machined 16" wheels with the spinners - sheer joy to behold ;-) The new GT wheels don't do it for me, although a set of anthracite "Bullitt" wheels might be okay too. Redlx50 - That really means I'm going to have to wait awhile, because I want a manual as well as the interior upgrade package, and I understand from the earlier post that the package is in short supply. No problem - since I want a wingless car, I was planning to order and wait anyway.
    I have seen a picture of an 05 with the Bullitt wheels and they do look nice.
  • rorrrorr Member Posts: 3,630
    Actually, I thought the headrest was very comfortable in the car I sat in. Perhaps the one you experienced was mal-adjusted. As a matter of fact, I specifically noted to the salesman that the headrest was MUCH better than my old '93 5.0LX.

Not worried about the back seat being too small for adults; I just want it to take 5-10 year-olds.

Couldn't check out the trunk space. Dissapointed that the space is small. Is it too shallow in depth or in fore-aft space? Were you able to check out the space with the rear-seats folded?

Anybody know of any plans for aftermarket vent louver kits in place of the side windows behind the doors? I think that would complete the visual tie-ins with the 65-66 cars. You can add side windows (ala '66 Shelby) to a standard 65-66 fastback; it would be nice if you could add vent louvers to an '05.
  • ksuwildcat001ksuwildcat001 Member Posts: 97
    The magazine reviews I've seen claim the 05 has MORE trunk space than the 04.
    ...isn't the size, but rather what the access is like. The outgoing model has a big trunk for a coupe, but the problem is that the opening is very small. So it can be hard to actually get stuff in there that would otherwise fit.
  • akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    The rear seats also fold down which makes it much more flexible for carrying cargo. I have this in my Lincoln LS and I've actually carried a 5 foot stepladder with no problem.
  • thunderbirdthunderbird Member Posts: 26
    If no stick shift is available, doesn't is seem proper that the automatic should come with no extra charge? I mean when I bought my 95 thunderbird, it came only with a V8 because V6's were unavailable and the price was taken off the sticker by the factory. So I got the V8 for free with Ford's blessing. Seems to me that if you can't get manual, the price of the auto trans should be included in the MSRP. What do any of you think?
    Who said a manual is unavailable?
    Ummmmmm, kinda depends on sales, don't you think?

I mean, if Ford is selling every one they can make, with no problem, why should they discount the auto equipped cars to sell for the same price as the manuals? After all, the auto tranny costs FORD more money than the manual. If the buying public is willing to PAY more, why not charge it?

If a dealership is awash in auto equipped Mustangs, then that certainly gives you more room to dicker down closer to invoice. But to expect Ford to drop the MSRP down to match the manuals (instead of just making more manuals) seems a little farfetched to me.
  • fdthirdfdthird Member Posts: 352
    As the owner of a 2000 Mustang convertible I have to disagree about the amount of back seat leg space. At 5/8 I know I do not ride with the front seat all the way back, and although I would not want to ride all day back there, I find no problem putting adults in the back seat for short trips (like to dinner or the like). I have sat back there on occasion too and it is doable. I'd say its the classic 2+2 configuration.

As to the trunk release...too bad (1)they are no longer a part of the package and (2)why did they continue to put it in the glove box??? I find I use my key fob trunk button much more than the button simply because it (1) is in the glove box and (2)because of the style of the Mustang glove box, most times "stuff" will fall out when you open the door!

For the trunk access, the pictures I've seen look like its very similar to the car it is replacing. Looks like the same center dip to the bumper but the sides still are much higher to clear the tail lights.
    Can someone who has actually sat in a new GT verify that the GT speedo goes to 140 mph and not 120 mph? The Ford website and magazine reviews say 140 but someone reported sitting in one and said it was 120.
    From what I understand re: the speedo - the GT models have a 140mph speedo, the V6 models have the 120mph speedo. Can the individual who sat in the car verify that it was a GT and not a V6 model?
  • yellowjacket8yellowjacket8 Member Posts: 6
    Does anybody know if and when they will come out with a convertible in the new Mustang body style?
    Should be shown at the Detroit Auto Show (and possibly SEMA before that). On sale in February.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    A reporter is wondering if anyone has had trouble getting parts for cars and trucks from the 1985-1997 model year. If you have a story to share, please send it to jfallon@edmunds.com by Friday, November 19, 2004.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

I sat in an 05 V6 Mustang today it was pretty sharp. They had a GT in stock but someone had it out for a drive. I really like the styling but I also really like the looks of my Bullitt. I was only in it for a minute and did not notice what the speedo went up to but the GT's go to 140mph. Car and Driver has a good write up on the new GT in it's recent issue 0-60 in 5.2 seconds and through the 1/4 in about 13.7 seconds. They also said it had more grip than any current Cobra! I guess the new chassis is pretty good.
  • redlx50redlx50 Member Posts: 3
    The factory has informed us not to place orders for V6 with manual transmission because it is on hold. They will be built but not right now. You can still get a manual in the GT.
    I took a short test drive today in a V6 auto (as noted above, there are no manuals to be had right now. My salesman checked with his manager, and he confirmed that manuals can't be ordered until January). Overall, I was impressed, especially considering the price. FWIW, the V6 speedo is calibrated to 120 MPH. I'm sure the V8 is a hoot, but I really prefer the cleaner look of the V6, and the power and torque is fine -- it all depends on your frame of reference, and I've been driving a four cylinder compact pickup for 4 years :) The side windows are slick, as they have the same type of auto drop and raise feature found on BMW 3 Series coupes and the 350Z to make a tight weather seal. The view underhood is also good, with everything readily accessible - oil filter changes will be a snap. Can't wait to order mine after the new year!
    The percentage of V6 mustangs sold with a stick is very small, so there's no reason for them to put any type of extra incentive or discount on them. Plus they're selling like hotcakes as it is.

On your Tbird they probably needed to give you that extra incentive to keep sales up. If you're selling all you can make as it is - why discount it?
  • setzersetzer Member Posts: 127
    When will you be able to start putting orders in for the convertible version? It's supposed to come out this Spring.
  • gogophers1gogophers1 Member Posts: 218
    I had a chance to test-drive an '05 Mustang V6 Deluxe this weekend. Overall, I must say that I really liked it but I have to cite similar concerns about the angle of the front headrests as previous poster(s). I was able to adjust the headrest up and down, but couldn't get comfortable throughout the drive. I was unable to figure out a way to adjust the rake of the headrest - it didn't appear that was possible. Am I wrong on this?

By the end of the testdrive, my neck was beginning to ache. I'm 5'11 and about 170. Although I'm certainly not tall, I imagine that the seat would probably be much less uncomfortable for a shorter person. Which begs the question, for what demographic did Ford design these seats?
    I'm 6'5", but most of my height is in my legs. I didn't notice the head restraints poking the back of my head while I drove the V6, but I'd guess it all depends on your height and your posture. Many people think of the restraints as "headrests", but keep in mind that is not their purpose - they are placed there to limit rearward travel of your head in the event of a rear end collision. It was never intended for them to be used as "rests".
  • ricschricsch Member Posts: 540
    I had the chance to drive a GT with the 5spd. auto. trans. and was very impressed with the car overall.

For curiosity, I would like to drive the V6 to see how it performs, but after driving the GT, it would be hard to not go with the V8 and it's performance, also, the exhaust sounds great!

Not crazy about the big door speaker grilles, the GT fog lamp grille should be available on the V6 as should dual exhaust-at least to make the appearance of the back of the car look better. Assume the aftermarket will have something available.
  • tomustang22tomustang22 Member Posts: 6
    First of all the new stangs are insane. I'm lookin to buy a GT, all I want is the basic GT with an alarm, thats it. I hate how dealers take advantage of a sick new car and jack the prices up from msrp cause the new stangs are definitely affordable if it weren't for the dealers.

Also, does anyone know what kind of increase in my insurance I can expect in going from a v6 mustang from 01 to the new GT, and being under 25 years old with no tickets or accidents.

Does anyone else hate NJ for their s***tty insurance????

oh yeah and does anyone know if the my color gauges come standard on all mustangs, or do you need to get the interior upgrade package to get them? If they don't come standard are they available for individual purchase and installation
    They're part of the interior upgrade package and most likely can't be dealer installed. Not yet at least.

As for prices - ask for the fleet manager and tell him you want to order a mustang. He'll probably sell it to you at MSRP or below, you'll just have to wait a few weeks.
    i have 17 in. mach one rims on my 01 v6 now...does anyone know if i could put them on a new GT?

i mean theoretically i could..i dont see why not.
  • canadianguycanadianguy Member Posts: 1
    First of all, being from Canada we are dieing without our Hockey. Anyway. I am currently driving a 01 330. I must say it is an awsome car. The new mustangs are only going to be at our dealers in the next 2 weeks, so I have only seen pictures and read about it. I am very excited. I defenitley want to test drive the 8
    I have no problem leaving BMW. I am always looking for something new. I am not expecting the new stang to have the driving dynamics of a Bmw. Can anyone relate?? I know the power will be there, but what about the handleing??
  • nedc2nedc2 Member Posts: 192
    What it Canada without a Hockey Night in it? What's the point? How can we go on without those fashion tips from Don Cherry? Where are my Red Wings? AAAARRRGGGHHHH!!!

Sorry, I couldn't help myself;)
    If i got a new GT could i put the 17' mach 1 rims from my 01 v6 onto it???

How much do you think my insurance would increase from right now having an 01 v6 mustang and getting a GT, being under 25 and having no tickets or accidents???? Anyone???

Scenario: You make $1300 a month, you work 6 months out of the year for a co-op (you stop working in march and start back up in september), you have no bills or anything to pay besides your entertainment expenses for the weekends and stuff. Out of your monthly pay you make $336 car payments for a new GT, $100 towards car insurance, save $600 for the car payments while your not working, and be on a $200 dollar budget for entertainment(would be $300 but estimating $40 for gas and $60 for bridge tolls per month). Would you buy the GT and make the payments on it???? or wait and buy a used one in a year or so????
    It won't be quite as good as your BMW technically speaking but from what I've heard it's very good and way better than the old platform. Only way for you to judge is to drive it since this is a highly subjective area.
    To be perfectly honest, you should probably buy a used Focus and save your money for a couple of years and then try to buy a 2 yr old used mustang GT. Trying to finance a $25K car on what is basically $650/month average take-home is very risky.

As for the rims, they may or may not fit, depends on the offset and bolt pattern.
    eh..ill stick with my v6...but thanks for the advice. its just gonna kill me to see the new mustangs on the road now, especially when the spoiled little brats who just got their licenses are drivin them.

well the good thing is my younger brother gets his license in about a year and the plan is to give him my car and my parents buy my half of the car so ill have a solid down payment...hopefully by then i'll have a good amount saved and i'll be able to find a used GT for a good price!
    I understand the temptation - been there myself. But you don't want to overextend yourself. Here's something that helped me:

Picture your current V6 mustang and a new GT sitting side by side. Let's say the V6 is worth $10K and the GT cost $30K including finance charges.

Now picture the V6 with $20,000 cash sitting in the front seat. Would you rather have the V6 and $20,000 cash or the GT?

That just helps put the real cost in perspective. When you're only thinking about monthly payments it's easy to lose track of the bigger picture.
    hahaha its a tough decision...but i guess in the long run youre right...thanks again
  • exalteddragon1exalteddragon1 Member Posts: 729
    Considering how the Mustang is gonna help save Ford, why do they persist in making the GT, a 150K car? The whole point of ford was to a car everyone can afford.
    Style is one of the hardes things to hit, guys let me ask you, imagine is where mustang left off (40K) you would have the Shelby GR-1 as say, a lincoln or Mercury model? for say 40K - 60K??? Wouldnt that, with such style, and the semi-affordability of 40K help fords image surge?

http://www.maximum-cars.com/Cars/Ford/2004-Shelby-GR-1-C/1.jpg
  • revdrluvrevdrluv Member Posts: 417
    The GT exists just so the buying public (who could never afford one) can see a Ford hold it's own in a comparison test with a Ferrari.

They just want people to think they are more than just a souless fleet-car company that values price points more than desirability.

The GR-1 is sweet, but too sporty to be a lincoln. I am not sure the Mercury brand has enough of a performance image to have it's own Corvette either. Would have to be more of a fast, comfy, GT car.
  • wldwoodwldwood Member Posts: 1
    my local ford dealer has a01 gt convertible 3200 miles auto 6 cd looks like it never left garage i can buy for 17000 is this a good deal what shpuld i be looking out for never had soft top would only be used in summer
  • thunderbirdthunderbird Member Posts: 26
    I was reading an auto review of the 2005 mustang in which it was reported that this model has a problem with wind noise and loud engine noise at freeway speeds. Can any current owners confirm or deny whether this is true or not.
  • barjonbarjon Member Posts: 27
    I have been driving my new 2005 Mustang V6 for 2 weeks now, quite often on the highway, and I am pleasantly surprised how quiet the car is. Remarkably, there's no wind noise at all!
    17K for a 2001 GT ragtop is indeed a good deal if the miles are low...as for what to look for, nothing much to worry about with the now previous-gen Mustang at that point.

As for wind/engine noise, it's not really bad on my 2002; so I imagine it must be even quieter on the new model. In my car, once you shift into 5th on the higway, the engine noise drops to about "normal" for an American car. Even with my "upgraded" exhaust (I have a Ford Racing high-flow catback), it's relatively quiet on the highway. I've never noticed wind noise myself...
  • autobloggerautoblogger Member Posts: 1
    I've been driving the new GT for almost a week and can say that wind noise is indeed minimal as others have stated.
    Road noise depending on what type of surface you're on can be loud. Concrete freeways especially.
    The engine is obtrusive during acceleration but I think that is intentional and part of the allure of the Mustang.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    A newspaper reporter is looking for vehicle shoppers and recent buyers age 20-29 who live in either the Atlanta or Raleigh-Durham area. If you're willing to talk about your vehicle preferences and shopping experience, please send an e-mail to jfallon@edmunds.com with your age, location, and contact info by December 13, 2004. Thanks!

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• ricschricsch Member Posts: 540
    For those of you who had a Mustang previously and purchased a new '05, did your insurance rates increase quite a bit?

Also, in case Ford is watching, it would be nice to have your dealers give out a survey form to buyers (and potential buyers) to see what we like and dislike, what we would like to see in years to come with the new Mustang.
  • kwhkwh Member Posts: 68
    I really like the 05 Mustang but need to buy a new car at the cheapest price I can right now. I really like the grill and foglights on the GT. Do you think it would be a problem to get the foglights put on a V6 deluxe coupe? Do you think the Ford dealer would do it? Are the body styles the same for the v6 deluxe coupe and the GT? I have not seen them in the flesh yet so I'm wondering if they are the same body style and the GT has upgraded wheels, bumpers, etc. What else on the exterior is different? I'm driving a 4 cylinder now so the engine is not a factor to me. The interior differences won't make much difference either. Any thoughts from those of you familiar with Mustangs would be appreciated. I've never owned a Ford.
    I'm sure the fog lights can be added to the V6 but I'm not sure how easy it is. If there is a kit then it's probably easy and the dealer could install it for you. If there isn't you'll have to get the parts and do it yourself. There may also be aftermarket kits available.

That's no difference in the V6 vs GT body.