Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Mustang (2004 and earlier)

Comments

• revdrluvrevdrluv Posts: 417
    The GT exists just so the buying public (who could never afford one) can see a Ford hold it's own in a comparison test with a Ferrari.

They just want people to think they are more than just a souless fleet-car company that values price points more than desirability.

The GR-1 is sweet, but too sporty to be a lincoln. I am not sure the Mercury brand has enough of a performance image to have it's own Corvette either. Would have to be more of a fast, comfy, GT car.
  • my local ford dealer has a01 gt convertible 3200 miles auto 6 cd looks like it never left garage i can buy for 17000 is this a good deal what shpuld i be looking out for never had soft top would only be used in summer
  • I was reading an auto review of the 2005 mustang in which it was reported that this model has a problem with wind noise and loud engine noise at freeway speeds. Can any current owners confirm or deny whether this is true or not.
  • barjonbarjon Posts: 27
    I have been driving my new 2005 Mustang V6 for 2 weeks now, quite often on the highway, and I am pleasantly surprised how quiet the car is. Remarkably, there's no wind noise at all!
  • john_324john_324 Posts: 974
    17K for a 2001 GT ragtop is indeed a good deal if the miles are low...as for what to look for, nothing much to worry about with the now previous-gen Mustang at that point.

As for wind/engine noise, it's not really bad on my 2002; so I imagine it must be even quieter on the new model. In my car, once you shift into 5th on the higway, the engine noise drops to about "normal" for an American car. Even with my "upgraded" exhaust (I have a Ford Racing high-flow catback), it's relatively quiet on the highway. I've never noticed wind noise myself...
  • I've been driving the new GT for almost a week and can say that wind noise is indeed minimal as others have stated.
    Road noise depending on what type of surface you're on can be loud. Concrete freeways especially.
    The engine is obtrusive during acceleration but I think that is intentional and part of the allure of the Mustang.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,890
    A newspaper reporter is looking for vehicle shoppers and recent buyers age 20-29 who live in either the Atlanta or Raleigh-Durham area. If you're willing to talk about your vehicle preferences and shopping experience, please send an e-mail to jfallon@edmunds.com with your age, location, and contact info by December 13, 2004. Thanks!

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• ricschricsch Posts: 540
    For those of you who had a Mustang previously and purchased a new '05, did your insurance rates increase quite a bit?

Also, in case Ford is watching, it would be nice to have your dealers give out a survey form to buyers (and potential buyers) to see what we like and dislike, what we would like to see in years to come with the new Mustang.
  • kwhkwh Posts: 66
    I really like the 05 Mustang but need to buy a new car at the cheapest price I can right now. I really like the grill and foglights on the GT. Do you think it would be a problem to get the foglights put on a V6 deluxe coupe? Do you think the Ford dealer would do it? Are the body styles the same for the v6 deluxe coupe and the GT? I have not seen them in the flesh yet so I'm wondering if they are the same body style and the GT has upgraded wheels, bumpers, etc. What else on the exterior is different? I'm driving a 4 cylinder now so the engine is not a factor to me. The interior differences won't make much difference either. Any thoughts from those of you familiar with Mustangs would be appreciated. I've never owned a Ford.
  • akirbyakirby Posts: 7,699
    I'm sure the fog lights can be added to the V6 but I'm not sure how easy it is. If there is a kit then it's probably easy and the dealer could install it for you. If there isn't you'll have to get the parts and do it yourself. There may also be aftermarket kits available.

That's no difference in the V6 vs GT body.
  • z9z9z9z9z9z9z9z9 Posts: 101
    tacoboy wrote:
    > Anybody driven a new 05 V6 yet? I'm a Honda convert waiting for something American to convince me to trade in my Si. My biggest fear is that the new Mustang , with all it's great looks , will still handle "big".

Yeah, last week. It doesn't handle anything like a Honda -- you may or may not like it. Just cruising along it feels big; really long hood, and it's wide. But the faster you go the smaller it feels. I think this is mostly due to RWD and the 52/48 weight distribution. It just goes where you point it, with moderate body roll and moderate understeer. I don't know how well it would Autocross, but on the street it's a blast. The steering is probably no where near as good as a BMW, but it you're used to FWD you will probably like it.

I was concerned about the tall skinny tires, but they seems to work well, and the machined wheels with spinners look fantastic. The V6 has B.F. Goodrich Traction TAs. I put a set of these on my Accord, and they are really good tires, much better than the Michelin rim protectors that came from the factory. See the reviews on tirerack.com.

I'm hooked on RWD. I can't get excited about spending a lot of money on a BMW or any other RWD car currently on the market (except maybe the Chrysler 300), so I will be trading in my '03 Accord early next spring.

The engine: The V6 auto seems fast enough, but I'm waiting for a stick. The engine makes a fair amount of exhaust noise and LOT of induction noise at full throttle, but it quiets down on the highway. Lots of torque, but not much horsepower, so it feels strong pulling away from a stoplight, but passing on the freeway might not be that good. I didn't have a chance to try it.
    Adding the oem fog lamps may require getting the GT grille as the grille is molded for the lamps.

I would have to agree that the aftermarket should have something available soon.

In looking at the grille (non-GT), you could probably cut out the grille and mount some fog lamps-I would go with something a bit smaller in diameter than what Ford put on the GT.

Would have been nice if Ford would have used the same rear bumper cover on the V6 that is on the GT, looks so much nicer with the dual exhaust.
  • marsha7marsha7 Posts: 3,673
    Crown Vic site is not too active, and the 4.6L V8 engines are probably similar, so your answers will probably work for me...the EPA sticker for my 2004 Crown Victoria LX Sport (Dual exhaust, 239 HP, with the "higher" performance engine offered for the Sport version, slightly different rear end ratio than standard vehicle) said 17/25 mpg...I personally know of a couple of big boat Town Cars, similar engine (I assume), and they got almost 28 mpg when highway running at 70 mph...my car has 7,000 miles, and I barely make 20 mpg overall with 75% highway running at 65-75 mph...while 28 mpg would be terrific, how long before the engine breaks in and I should expect something close to 25 mpg???
    Not the Mustang GT, but the $200K GT at a local dealership. Went to check out their '05 Mustangs and the salesman says we have another "GT" in back. They were washing it up and getting it ready for delivery as it was sold-of course.

Not a practical car, but WOW! what a nice ride!

Was told Ford will only build 1500 of them this year and another 1500 next year.
    The front bumper "cover" on the GT is different than the V6 cars- the V6 has an indentation for a front license plate, the GT doesn't, unfortunately my state requires a front plate and on a GT, it won't look too good-not even sure if they have a bracket available, besides drilling holes in the bumper cover.

I read where Ford was doing things to save money, yet they make two different front and rear bumper covers for the same car, as well as 2 different grilles, different seating material and designs.

This can't help cut costs and inventories of said items.
  • Yes, the front and rear bumper covers are different, and the GTs have body colored rocker panels instead of black ones. Except for the fog lights, the grilles are identical AFAIK. Ford never seems to put much thought into designing front license plate mounts - invariably, you have to drill holes in the bumper cover to mount a front plate. There are quite a few cosmetic and mechanical differences between the two cars (other than the engine) - it isn't so much trying to save money as it is a way to MAKE money... Ford obviously wants to sell more of the profitable GTs.
  • ab348ab348 Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, CanadaPosts: 1,986
    Got out today and the two Ford dealers near me each had a GT out on the lot to take my first look at.

Overall, I love the look of this car. Great drool factor. So my criticisms, while seemingly long, are all fairly picky, minor items. Here goes:

- rear quarter windows need some trim: chrome outline, louvers, something.
    - rear quarter-panel ahead of the rear wheels needs something, a false scoop or whatever.
    - so does the hood.
    - interiors on both cars I saw were black. one had the interior decor, one didn't. Both were awfully cave-like, especially the regular one. This car needs some contrast inside. Some color would help too.

But man, do I love this car. Wish I had a spare $35K Cdn in my pocket...

2011 Buick Regal Turbo, 1968 Oldsmobile Cutlass S Holiday Coupe

• The windows going up and down a bit when you open and close the doors for a better seal just seem like something extra to mess up. I mean what happens when there is a coat of ice on the windows???? Already experienced one on the dealer lot that didn't operate properly. Any thoughts?
  • '04 Gt's going for 6 thousand off sticker in ky....but think I'm gonna suck it up and pay the difference for the 05's
  • kenakena Posts: 1
    The angle of the headrest is something new and is made that way to support upcoming federal standards.You will probably be seeing them on most new vehicle manufactured in the near future.You can thank Uncle Sam for them not Ford.
  • I like the nice clean look of the 05 over the fake look of the 04. Ford tacked all sorts of worthless scoops onto the 04. I much prefer the clean look of the 05. The 04 just screamed "rice" to me. It looked more like stuff the kids do to their Honda civics to make them look fast.

The only way I would want it to have any scoops would be if they were actually functional. ie: the Shaker hood scoop on the 03 - 04 Mach 1 Mustangs. Or if the side scoops directed cooling air to the brakes.

Otherwise, leave the fake stuff to the import crowd.
    ab348, yes, the rear quarter windows need something, maybe louvers? I was thinking if (when) I were to get a GT, I would tint the windows which would help the "look". I think you will see scoops or accents on the Mustang in future years as I'm sure Ford didn't want to do it all the first year out with the new car, but the aftermarket should be able to help owners of the '05's to set them up.

As for the door windows going up and down automatically-heard this is for a better seal, and to aid in closing pressures. A guy I know has had to replace weather stripping twice on his '04due to too much pressure when closing the doors with the windows up.

Now I wait to see the ragtop version in spring to decide.
  • ab348ab348 Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, CanadaPosts: 1,986
    While I am not a fan of a lot of the tacked-on junk you see on imports, I submit 2 points for your consideration:

1. If the GT is meant as a homage to the '60s Mustang, that car had considerable chrome, add-on adornment, and color. The '05 lacks this.

2. There should be more to differentiate the GT from the secretary's base model.

2011 Buick Regal Turbo, 1968 Oldsmobile Cutlass S Holiday Coupe

• I'm just thankful that Ford opted for clean body panels and allows both cars to be built without the stupid rear wing. Everybody wins - people are free to screw/glue on whatever silliness they desire, but those of us who prefer a clean look can buy a junk-free car.
  • The tirerack has an 05 Mustang in their wheel section if you want to experiment with wheel and color combinations. They've already got 20 inch wheels for the Mustang, which I'll pass on for now.
  • I'm contemplating a similar change- 99 328i, 5speed, sport to 05GT 5 speed. Test drove an 05GT last weekend and they are completely different. Driving position is more upright in the BMW. Greenhouse is taller in the BMW. BMW feels smaller and lighter, Shifter feel and clutch takeup differ. Interior richer in BMW. The BMW engine "sings" while the GT's growls. Torque and horsepower favor the GT. Cost over time-TBD, but it's likely to favor the GT. Both are great cars, so its a matter of personal preference and up front dollars.
    Didn't see any wheels from them that looked good to me.

Has anyone priced out the "dealer accessory" polished 5-spoke wheels?

I checked on insurance for a new GT, not bad! Was expecting much higher. Now to decide if I want to part with my '93 LX 5.0 chrome yellow feature car convertible w/40k miles!
    That's a tough choice...a '93 LX 5.0 (vert no less) is considered by many to be a true modern classic!
  • I am mildly disappointed with the poor performance of the new Mustang. I would hands down take a GTO with the LS2 over the Stang. Heck with the 04 GTOs putting a whoopin on them I would take one of them also. Ford? What gives?
    You have to look at the price differential if you're fairly comparing a GTO to a Mustang.

Otherwise, it's more proper to compare a GTO to an '04 Cobra. And the GTO does not "put a whoopin" on the Mustang at that level. In fact, it's quite even I believe.

What is a new GTO coming in at, price-wise? Around 30k or so?