Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Mustang (2004 and earlier)

Comments

• mschmalmschmal Member Posts: 1,757
    I know that Job 1 is the end of March, that only leaves a few months left in the model year. I figure that Coupes will continue to be in demand once the production line is shared with convertibles.

One of the big problems is there aren't enough of the "Interior Upgrade Packages" to meet demand.

Another production problem is that the Side Airbags are ONLY available with the Red Leather interior.

As for Mustangs in the Snow, we get lots of people coming in this time of year to trade out of their Mustangs traction control or not, these cars have wide tires and if you don't put weight in the trunk, or otherwise know what you are doing it won't be fun.

Mark
  • ksuwildcat001ksuwildcat001 Member Posts: 97
    Since when were side airbags only available with the red leather interior? My local Ford dealership has one with side airbags without the red leather. It is a yellow GT premium.

Has Ford changed the option requirements?
  • kyleknickskyleknicks Member Posts: 433
    hi, does anyone know if the cobra sideskirts of the 99-04 era will fit on a 99 mustang v6? i think the v6 has a 2 piece design on each side of the car... but i think the cobra has one piece that runs from the front wheel well to the rear... can someone confirm this? thanks! i'm looking to replace my broken sideskirts, and the only ones i could find are cobra ones... =(
  • akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    When was this changed to 2004 and earlier? Didn't we just combine these into a single Mustang forum a few months ago?
  • m1miatam1miata Member Posts: 4,551
    OK, which years of Mustang do you rate the best. And how would you rate these years on a scale of 1-5

(5 is best):

1999-2004

And for looks alone, do you like the 2005 more or less than the 2004 or earlier designs, interior/exterior wise.
  • ksuwildcat001ksuwildcat001 Member Posts: 97
    I wondered about the change of the forum to 2004 and earlier as well. Does this mean there is a seperate 2005 Mustang forum again?????
  • akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    Yes, there is a 2005 forum as well with hardly any new posts. Please change it back.
  • john_324john_324 Member Posts: 974
    I'm going to vote for 1969-1970 model for a "5". The best combo of looks and performance, for my money. That Larry Shinoda body was beautiful, the engines were firebreathering and she was racing and winning in the Trans-Am series.

As for the 2005 vs. the SN95, I dunno. I love my '02 and am going to keep it for a good while, but the beauty (and quality) of the '05 is undeniable. My one concern is that I'm not sure I like how the Mustang is getting bigger again. Next to a Fox body, my SN95 seems a little ungainly...but it looks somewhat lithe compared to the new one.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Hi Guys---I'll see what we can do about combining the two forums

Shifty the Host
  • tayl0rdtayl0rd Member Posts: 1,926
    No, it won't work. The new Mustang has a much longer wheelbase than the previous one; which means much longer side skirts. I didn't know the V6 even had side skirts.
    taylord..thanks for the info..

yes, the v6 has these 2 piece side skirts, the short part of it goes from the front wheel well to the door (fits under the fender) and then the rest of it runs from the door all the way to the rear wheel well... it's very subtle...

at least that's what i think... please correct me if you think i'm wrong.. you v6 folks
    But you're talking about a previous-gen V6, right, not a 2005?

The Cobra rocker panels should fit no problem on your V6, as the cars' dimensions are the same. In fact, I think I've seen them listed in Ford's accessory catalog, along with a set from the special edition Bullitt model...
  • dan1dan1 Member Posts: 76
    I'd have to give my 01 Bullitt a 5. As for the 05's I like them but I still like the 99-04 styling better.
    john, that's what i thought too... side skirts from a 99 cobra should fit on a 99 v6.. no??
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Nix on combining the two forums. The 2005 forum is linked every which way to other parts of Edmunds so that'll screw it all up.

Sorry.

Shifty the Host
  • rblelandrbleland Member Posts: 312
    I also have a 2001 Bullitt and think it is the best looking Mustang; but must admit the new '05s are growing on me and I like them a lot more than when they first came out.
  • tayl0rdtayl0rd Member Posts: 1,926
    Sorry, I misread your post. I thought you were asking if the previous gen Cobra side skirts would fit the new Mustang V6. If it's a '99-'04 V6, the '99+ Cobra skirts will fit with no problems.
    Yeah I saw a metalic red one the other day and it was sharp. I really like the new convertables too. Have you registered your bullitt on IMBOC's site? What color and number is yours? Mines DHG #2605.
    Only miscue with the Bullitt IMO is that it sports the GT's fake hoodscoop. The side scoops were changed to a wonderful streamlined, "scoopless" style, but the hood scoop remained the same.

If Ford had gone with the same reverse-scoop hood that was used on the 2003-2004 V6 Mustangs (which itself is from the 1999 Cobra)...it would have made the Bullitt even more distinctive. Plus it would have been more similar to the hood on McQueen's '68 (which had twin reverse scoops)
  • south015south015 Member Posts: 2
    Well for my #5 its going to have to be the 1969. every car that was put in to production that year have got to be the best over any .year of car.

john 324- im going to have to go with you on the shinoda. my friend has a Shinoda Boss 302. Now thats a car. The 302 is absolutely going to have to be my favorite. Not b/c of my friend, just b/c of the fact that, that car is BEAUTIFUL. And the way it sounds is muzic to my ears. (the 302 my friends got is Orange with the BIG 302 logo across it...up at the top of the front windshield its got the shinoda lable on it . just put it like this They aint one like it anywhere in the Upstate of SC.) sry that was long.
  • rblelandrbleland Member Posts: 312
    dan1 - yes, I'm registered on the IMBOC site and am a Supporting Member. Mine is DHG #2873 and I am the 2nd owner with only 14,631kms on her today (metric car in Canada). Straight stock.
  • citystangcitystang Member Posts: 6
    I am in the process of purchasing a silver automatic 04 stang coupe deluxe has the interior upgrade package and the sport appearance package. I have not seen the car yet but was told it has a moon roof. The dealer had it installed to make the car more attractive, they also installed leather seats and tinted windows. I have been searching the internet looking to see what a moon roof will look like on a stang and I can not find any. Monday I will receive the car and know for sure. :) I will post and tell you about it then. My purchase price is 15,400. I was told this is an excellent deal. (hope dad is right)
    Moonroofs are very rare on the SN95 Mustang (since it's an aftermarket thing)...but you might want to try stangnet and do a search; someone there is bound to have one. I can't give you the URL due to edmunds' rules, but you should be able to find it... :-)

That's good deal on a loaded V6...enjoy!
  • beliverbeliver Member Posts: 155
    I have a loaded 2004 V-6 delux (mfg 5-04) Pony package, interior upgrade pkg. automatic, 9000 miles. MSRP $21,500. $12,000 will buy it !!

bought into the Mustang myth !!

believer
    :-)

So what did it? I'm gonna say the ride quality...
    im going to say its the traction in the wet/snow weather.. or lack of.. that did it
  • beliverbeliver Member Posts: 155
    John: Right, the thing rides like a log wagon and handles about as well. Can't really fault the fit and finish as it's really pretty good. I'm sure some high school senior would love the thing.

kyleknicks: Well, since I live in north central Florida the snow is not a issue. Believe it or not I've never driven it in the rain but I bet it would be a handfull for sure. Come to think of it it's been over a month since it has been out of the garage. I hate to admit it but my wife's little Hyundai Accent GT is a whole lot more fun to drive in the twisties, go figure.

Believer
    What sort of problem are you having in the rain? I have a rear wheel drive car and a front wheel drive car, and have driven plenty of both with no real problem in the wet. Are the tires all weather type and at proper air fill? I am currently driving a Miata and a Corolla.

You may find the Subaru all wheel drive more to your liking. Did you get traction control on your Stang?

Loren
    mustangs have issues in the rain or any slick conditions because 1> they have wide tires 2> very light in the rear... add these factors to the fact that its rear wheel drive... you have a car that wants to push its rear end into the next lane when you're making turns or changing lanes... it's happened to me too many times, and the last time it did, i spun out and did a 360 on the highway...
    Assuming the tires are all season and properly inflated to the car manufactures recommended pressure, or slightly over that number, the only other thing I could think of is wheel alignment or excessive speed, and/or abrupt lane changes causing a spin out. Yes, a lighter rear end, which is something they have worked on in the '05 model year, is not a good thing, but there-again, it is not all that much lighter than some other rear wheel drive cars. Letting up on the gas, or braking hard while is a turn can load the weight to the front and thus cause loss of control, but that is driver error. The easiest to drive in the wet should be AWD, like the Subaru and Audi, and second best the FWD, which if you let up on the gas will settle down gain traction -- hopefully. One problem with FWD can be excessive understeer, which can be dangerous too. For more aggressive driving, you could adjust the alignment in the rear, but I would be afraid of what that could do in straight line in the wet. What tires do you have? I have some Dunlop A2 on the Miata, and they are pretty good in the wet. Michelin and some other tire makers make some tires designed to operate better in the wet. If you fear the car you drive, it will be best to get something different. Good luck to ya, Loren
    I drove my 87 LX 5.0 through 6 New England winters in all conditions with performance all season tires. The only time I thought I would crash was during a blizzard going down 495 in 5th gear doing about 30 mph. Other than that I just took it slow and easy and never really had a problem. For sure Mustang's are not that great in the snow but in rain they are as good as any rear wheel drive car. I think tires and the driver play the biggest part in how any car performs in wheather.
    The biggest issue IMO with a Mustang in rain is the instantaneous torque. If you give it gas at the wrong time, or do it too fast you'll overwhelm the rear tires' grip very quickly.

Also, recent GTs have low-profile summer tires that are great in the dry, so-so in the rain and downright dangerous in the snow/ice. Though I think you can get the '05 GT will all-seasons if you want (good call Ford!)

I'm always extra careful in the rain and/or in heavy traffic, but I LOVE the days when the roads are just slightly wet and empty. Ah, the adolescent thrills of Mustang ownership!
    its true that both the miata and the mustang are rear wheel drive vehicles... but miata's have close to equal weight distribution between the front and the back..... this is not true for the mustang.. thus the tendency to fishtail is higher... i could go thru the same wet turn in my fwd maxima and will not have the heartpounding lost of traction as in my mustang... its sad, but true
    The CHP in Calif. used Mustangs for some years, I assume on rainy days. The Nevada State Troopers use Camaros. I am at a loss to figure out what is going on without more info. Just check for things mentioned before, like type of tires and alignment. Rather than trying to adapt to the car, you may be right in just giving up I guess, and stick with FWD like the Maxima. And like I said, those AWD would be really great in the wet. My '65 Mustang would wag the tail a bit, but it was manageable, and I slowed down a bit during rain. The '85 Mustang I had with the i4 engine was too slow to get into much trouble - what a dog it was for speed and handling. Now that car did not corner worth a dang. I bought an Olds 98 Regency, which is FWD and it handled twice as good. That was when they had smaller Olds. 98 and Caddy cars in the mid to late 80's. For handling, they rate the Celica about the best in FWD, if you are trading the Stang in on something, maybe that is one to think about. Then there is the Mazda6, Altima (steering may be slightly over boosted, they say), Eclipse (GT handling) and the Tiburon, with sporty handling in FWD. The Subaru cars, with AWD should do well in all weather.
    The Mustang does well straight line and fair on the curves ( dry surface and smooth ) when driven carefully. A little gas coming off the apex, and no excessive power, should do the trick. Actually, if on a track, someone with more knowledge, skill, and daring, may have loads of fun hanging out the back a bit, then nailing it steer. One of those things that either works, or you are into the tires off the track ;-) I'm too old and too chicken to experiment. I imagine you were not attempting any fancy maneuvers when you did the untimely spin out - oh well, I hope you did not damage anything. My Miata does not have all that much power, so I pretty much give it full gas coming off the apex of the turns, unless it is real tight, really fast going in, or slippery road conditions. And yes, a Miata is very forgiving. Good luck to ya, Loren
  • eaglejjeaglejj Member Posts: 3
    My 1994 Mustang is running hot even after I took it to the shop and replaced my cooling fan module; it is still running hot. Every morning when I start the car it takes a while for my heat to get warm, right before it gets warm, my temp. gauge starts to move quickly to hot and after its about 3 quarters to hot, I start to feel some heat and the temp gauge moves back down to normal operating temperature. But today it decided to run hot after running for a while (to the point where my reservoir was squirting out antifreeze!) Does anyone know what the problem can be?
    Have you replaced the thermostat? I am no mechanic, but it is common for those to fail around 50 to 70K miles.

Loren
    Normally, it is a good sign when you see few complaints about a car, but since there are so many Stangs sold, all too few posts here for problem areas, it makes me wonder. Looks like the last few years have been pretty good for the Mustang in the number of problems per car. While I like the '94-'98 style of the Stangs, it looks like the best years power and reliability wise are most recent, say 2003 and 04. Anyone have serious problems with their cars bought in say the last three years? I realize the power of the V8 is better, but is there a huge handling difference better the two shocks on rear of V6 and the setup of the V8 with 4 shocks? I do like the idea of better gas mileage and lower insurance rates on the V6, but do the pluses of the V8 outweigh the dollar pain?

Thanks, Loren
    Yeah, generally speaking the last years of the SN95 Mustang were pretty good, reliability-wise. My 2002 has not had any real problems, just little build-quality annoyances.

Handling differences between the two models aren't that great. GT does handle a little better, but the V6 feels more nimble since it's lighter. The quad shocks on the V8 are there mainly to combat the wheel-hop so endemic to Mustangs, not don't really help handling that much. No matter which model, handling isn't sports-car grade by a long shot (only the Cobra has that sort of ability).

V8 sound and torque are what really makes the car for me. But the V6 models are proper Mustangs as well, and great in their own right. If you're a Mustang sort of guy (i.e. relish the idea of a somewhat crude, antiquated but very visceral and powerful car) either one is plenty of fun and will put a smile on your face when you drive it...
  • eaglejjeaglejj Member Posts: 3
    The thermostat is OK. It's something else that's causing the problem...
    Maybe a crack in the radiator somewhere? Might be a small enough one so that leaking coolant doesn't get a chance to pool on the ground (vaporizes before it gets a chance)...do you smell that burning coolant smell when you open the hood?
  • cankercanker Member Posts: 10
    3.8l? If so check the oil for coolant, check the coolant for oil, pop the cap to the coolant reservoir and look in there while its running for air bubbles, and check the exhaust for white smoke. If you have any of those you probably have a blown headgasket.
    After a 14 hour drive. We now have our 04 mustang sitting in our driveway. The moon roof is nice and I love the leather seats. After searching the web to see a mustang with a moon roof and not finding one. I find yesterday that my cousins mustang has the moon roof in it as well (she has a Mach 1). I am extremely happy so far and feel we got a really good deal. the car had the upgrade packages and the dealer did alot of after market upgrades to this car including a bullit grill, leather seats, moon roof and tinted windows all for only $500 extra. Total cost was $15,425. This was buying it on the D-plan. Our 16 yr old son is dying to drive it.
    i assume you bought a brand new mustang... v6 or gt?
    yes it is new and it is the v6 3.9 liter.
    Considering a used Mustang between '02 and '04, and was wondering how reliable the V6 engine is. Are there still problems with blown head gaskets, or did they fix that problem? Other problems with the engine or cars. They seem to be rated highly for reliability lately. Love to hear from owners that are happy, as well as, those less than impressed with their Stangs. If insurance was reasonable, and gas not as expensive, would like that V8, but it now looks like $2.50 or MORE per gal. in CA. is likely within a year. Seems you can not open a new thread here about Mustang reliability or problems --- Interesting, as other car models have the thread. So I am trying again on this thread. Please post, the GOOD, the BAD, and the PLAIN UGLY about your Mustang late model cars, particularly the V6.

Thanks, Loren
    My scoop on the 04 v6 stang. I haven't had my stang very long. Just 5 days now. So far I love it. The v6 has plenty of power when you need it. I would say the v6 would be the way to go if you are concerned about gas prices. Definately gets better gas milage than my V8 truck. I am in Texas and gas is roughly about $1.80 a gallon. Insurance wasn't all that bad for the v6 stang, it's only costing about $5 a month more for the mustang than it costs me for my truck (full coverage for both vehicles) So far no complaints really, Rougher ride than what I am used too but still enjoyable.
  • angelzangelz Member Posts: 3
    hello guys !

i've got a 98 v6 convertible. red. cute as a button. i've been driving for 10 years and never got rearended until i got this car. now, in just 3 years (i got it used) i've got rearended 5 times !

what is going on?

do this car's break lights hang so low that people can't see them in the back?

or are these brakes so darn good that no one else can keep up?

i'm getting tired of whiplash frankly.

and now my theft light is on every cotton-pickin' time i turn on the engine.

i have one of those little theft protection devices under the steering wheel. it was something i think the dealership installed. i've never seen it in other cars. it needs a key to be plugged in if i want to be able to start my car with my ignition key.

this light on my dashboard is connected to this thingy under my steering wheel, i believe.

and the light is constantly blinking on and off as if to tell me that someone was/is trying to steal my car.

any suggestions on why this is so?

and ideas on how to stop it? fix it? get rid of it?

thanks !
    angel
  • angelzangelz Member Posts: 3
    hello, it's me again,

i forgot to ask ...

any suggestions on where i can buy a replacement roof cover for my convertible?

one of those plastic tops that covers the roof when my car is open and the roof is scrunched down in the back ?

this last rear-ending popped off this cover and other cars drove over it destroying it and the dealership says they don't have it and have never had it and that it is custom made. sounds like this is bs, to me, but in their defense i can't find it on ford's website either. they only have stuff for 2001+ models...

i'm in san jose, california.

any suggestions on sources?

thanks much !
    angel
    Internet search netted this:
    http://shop.store.yahoo.com/mustangplace/muscontopboo.html
    I just found it on the Net. I have NOT done business with them. Hope this helps. Just do a Web search for Mustang convertible top boots.

As for getting rear ended, it seems like some cities have drivers that do that an awful lot. I have a friend that has had this happen several times in Santa Maria. Must drive the same way as in San Jose. Be sure to tap the brakes or cover the brakes early before stopping, then look behind you when stopped, and tap on the brakes again if some idiot is not slowing enough behind you. They make brake lights that flash rapidly, but these may not be legal, so check with DMV. There is also the new LED brake lights. Better luck to ya!

Loren
    i would recommend you take a look on Ebay.. they have retailers on there selling convertible covers like the one you want. I've recently bought a front bumper, headlites,fender and rear bumper for my 99 mustang v6 convertible..all from ebay at a fraction of what it would've cost me at a local shop.