Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Mustang (2004 and earlier)

Comments

• mghmgh Member Posts: 43
    Please advice:
    My car is running with a lot of hesitation when I step on the gas. I have replaced spark plugs, wires, fuel pump, fuel filter, injector flush and still running bad. Precision tune shop has done all work and full diagnostics and still doing the same thing, I have spent $500+ and the problem still persists. Anyone with mechanical experience here or with the same similar situation PLEASE advice on what to do next. The car has only 79,000 miles.

Thanks MG
  • dan1dan1 Member Posts: 76
    Thanks I never took the time to really search for exact numbers. Just lazy I guess. Have you made any mods to yours?
  • rblelandrbleland Member Posts: 312
    Dan1 - No, and I don't intend to. I belong to the school of thought that says when you have a special edition car, you don't mess with it. I know some of the Bullittheads do the mods and keep the original parts so they can put it back to original later; but I don't mess with that at all. I think Ford did a pretty good job on the Bullitt and, as you know, most of the extra money went into running gear, not cosmetics. Just my approach to it. Enjoy her.
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    That's the best motor on the planet - so you've covered the fuel system, it's time to start looking into the distributor. It's unusual, but it sounds like your distributor may have jumped time somehow. Have the timing checked. Perhaps a crank sensor is bad? Maybe a coil is going soft? Gotta be something along those lines now..... Don't give up. That motor can run 300,000 miles without a teardown.
  • lateralglateralg Member Posts: 929
    A good possibility is Throttle Position Sensor (TPS). Not too expensive & not too difficult to replace.
    Thank you very much for the input. I finally give in and took it to the dealer this morning and they just call me to inform that the problem was the mass air flow sensor and needs to be replaced. PRICE $260.00 plus labor and diagnostic fee that includes updated computer flash etc. TOTAL $505.52 I am picking up the car after lunch and will have an update soon on how it runs. I hope this helps someone here with a similar problem.

Thanks,

MG
    And that was my next guess.........
    The car runs like a dream it is incredible how just one sensor controls everything. Thank you laterlag and nvbanker for your help.

I know it sounds in sane but my job now is demanding the use of a pick up truck and I need to trade or sell does anybody here know how much this car worth? I have run the Edmunds report but I am not sure if this hold true because dealers don't even get close to $4,000 their argument is that the Mustangs consume to much fuel.

Does the database for edmunds.com get updated regularly when gas prices go up?

Thanks again for all your help

Here is what I got from the Used Car Appraiser on edmunds.
    My car has custom rims and low profile tires, amplifiers for xtra bass and they won't even consider all the xtras when they offer my trade in.

1995 Ford Mustang 2 Dr GT Coupe
    Trade-In - Private Party - Dealer Retail
    National Base Price $3,022 $3,836 $5,193
    Optional Equipment $212 $284 $452
    Air Conditioning $83 $111 $177
    AM/FM/CD Audio System $27 $37 $58
    Cruise Control $16 $21 $34
    4-Wheel ABS $70 $94 $149
    Rear Window Defroster $16 $21 $34
    Color Adjustment
    Black $-7 $-9 $-13
    Regional Adjustment
    for Zip Code 78701 $-38 $-48 $-65
    Mileage Adjustment
    79,000 miles $799 $799 $799
    Condition Adjustment
    Outstanding $412 $500 $692

Total $4,400 $5,362 $7,058
  • stangin4lifestangin4life Member Posts: 5
    Jus wondering if anyone has an opinion on the best CD/MP3 deck to put in an 03' or 04' mustang convert....best brand and/or model is what im looking for....thanks
  • dispencer1dispencer1 Member Posts: 489
    Can anyone tell me what brand and model of tires were used on the 2000 V6 Mustang Convertible? They should be P205 65R 15 but I need to know what original equipment tires were used so when I replace these Douglas tires I can use the correct ones. Were they Goodyear Eagle LS or what? Thanks much.
    Does anyone have a source for a tonneau cover for a 2000 Mustang convertible?
  • m1miatam1miata Member Posts: 4,551
    Found at the Tire Rack listed as original equip.
    The Eagle GA
    Eagle GA link
    205/65TR15
    Hope that is the right one. That is a base convertible.
    I think you can find better tires for less money at the Rack though,
    unless you really need a particular brand, as in Goodyear. Not that
    there is anything wrong with the brand overall.
    Loren
    Thanks very much! I'll go with those when it is time to replace the tires. The reviews aren't very good but the tread life seems ok.
  • rorrrorr Member Posts: 3,630
    Just out of curiousity, why go back with the OEM tires? It is quite possible that there are better (quieter, grippier, longer lasting) tires available for the same if not lower price. I know that the OEM tires on my Toyota were decent but not outstanding tires (I think they were Yoko's) and I was able to get better tires (in my case, quieter and grippier) Kuhmo's for less money than another set of OEM tires.

You may want to check the Tire Rack for other tires in that same 205/65TR15 size and read the reviews on them as well.

Other than that, how's your new Mustang?
    I have Dunlop A2 tires on my Miata, which can also be had as Remington tires at a reduced price. They come out of the same plant in China. Will be looking in the future at Bridgestone RE950, Yokohama EVS100, Toyo Ts1 ( expensive, but about the best out there ), BF Goodrich T/A, and others. Kumho, which is a Korean brand, sure has lots of tires at a great price. They sell racing tires, and seem to score well on their all season tire line of tires. The Tire Rack does testing and they have surveys. They unfortunately do not have Toyo. Toyo may not be selling those type of distributors, which is fine. Anyway, Goodyear may have a few highly ranked tires, but overall, the price is higher, and I don't see too much love from owners. How many are saying they will buy the tire again? Those cars which take real expensive tires, like the Corvette, may have to like their new shoes by a different manufacturer than original, if people like me are doing the buying. I would look for Kumho tires, and forget those run flats. You can probably go from $1,500 a set down to say a few hundred bucks. The Mustang V6 size is not too expensive, so it is easy to shop lots of brands in that size without emptying the pocket book. Go to the front door of the Tire Rack website, and select your make of car, and you can navigate to all sorts of possibilities.
    :shades:
    Loren
    Good suggestion. I am a stickler for authenticity unfortunately. I will check and see what tires are the best ones when I get ready to buy tires. The reviews on the Eagle GA aren't very good. Perhaps something from Michelin might be better but I don't want to sacrifice the ride which is presently pretty good even with the Douglas tires that the previous owner put on.
    The car seems to be OK at 42,000 miles. I took it in for an oil change and it needed a fuel filter and air filter. Brakes were down a bit but ok. No squeaks or rattles. The tonneau cover is missing and if I put the car in shows (just as a "driver" - I 'm not restoring it to concours condition) I'll need one. I'd like to find someplace cheaper than the Ford dealer to get one. Ebay hasn't worked. The car is fun to drive -much more pleasant than the new Toyota Solara convertible I spent a month with and then sold. Sort of the difference between a guy's car and a girl's car to be frank.
    I would try Toyo Ultra 800 if you want a quiet tire with w 100,000 warranty at a fraction of the cost of a Michelin tire. Toyo tires in the top of the line are great. The Ts1 for handling is said to be near perfect. The Bridgstone RE950 is a good all season, all around performer.
    Did look at these popular at tire rack
    Another link for high performance all weather I may consider Costco for tires, though there are at least a couple - three good local tire stores as well. With the Tire Rack, you can order the tires and have them shipped ot a local dealership for installing. They have a list of participating dealers on the site. We have a local dealer with pretty good prices on Toyo tires. If you ever decide on that brand, show around. A top of the line Toyo should cost less than a Michelin. For Michelin, Costco and the Tire Rack will likely have the best deals. They seem to make deals with Costco. Good luck with the car and the tires. Are you joining any Stang Club? StangNet on the Internet may be a good additional source of info. about Mustang modifications and such, since they are owners chatting. Have fun! Wish you had a roll bar on that thing.
    :shades:
    Loren
    I've joined the Mustang Club of America. Back when I had an '84 Mustang convertible in the late '80's the club was essentially only interested in "Classic" Mustangs -64-71 with most of the emphasis on the 64.5-67 models. I dropped out after a year. Now the club seems to have an interest in all Mustangs - new and old. This is probably because of all the Cobras, GT's, Saleens, etc that have been made since '94.
    I meant a local club, so you can drive your car there. Do some touring - runs. National Club is OK, I guess, but to meet people and enjoy the day - local club.

Loren
    That would be fun but I'm in a small town and the nearest chapter of MCA is in Dallas - 400 miles away. I joined the chapter anyway. I drive over there every couple of months anyway so I can go to a meet. I'll see if any car clubs are in my vicinity but there aren't any Mustang ones in any case and most car clubs deal only in classic cars.
  • lizbethllizbethl Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I am interested. I have a 1992 ford mustang and my air flow sensor needed replacing but before I could get around to it, I was driving and put my foot on accelerator to get more power and the car lost power and now it won't go forward or backwards. Did your car ever do that? Did the mass airflow sensor correct everything?
  • loubylouby Member Posts: 1
    I just come across this message board and thought that maybe someone out there might have an idea about what might be going wrong with my convertible top.

I have a 99 Mustang Convertible and this morning when I went to try and put the top back up it would not work. It made the usually/normal noise the motor makes when lowering and rising but the top went nowhere. I tried 2 to 3 more times and still nothing. Waited a couple minutes and then tried again and it finally went up. Once I got it up, I figured I'd see if it would lower a little without a problem and nothing happened, wouldn't lower.

More then likely I'll have to take it into the dealer or a shop but I thought that I would ask and see if anyone has had a similar problem or any info before I take it in. This way I might have a heads up before I get snowed by the dealership once again for unneeded parts and repairs.

Any information would be great!
    Thanks
  • marsha7marsha7 Member Posts: 3,703
    he owns a post-2000 mustang, purchased used in the last few years...when purchased it was Certified Pre Owned from a Ford Dealer, so he paid a premium for that CPO designation...he recently had it in a shop, maybe Carmax, where they examined the car and pointed out to him multiple indiciations that the car had been in a major wreck...my friend had no accidents with it, so it must be prior to his ownership...assuming that the technicians were correct, how could this vehicle pass a CPO certification???...I believed (with no documentation to back me up) that one of the disqualifying factors for ANY of the brands sold as CPO was that they could not have suffered major damage in a wreck...maybe a small fender bender, but nothing that would cause the replacement of the front end (which is what these folks said had happened, the front end was replaced)...can aanyone shed any light on this???...when checked at the time of purchase, CarFAX (not carmax) showed clear with no wrecks...did he get ripped off by a Ford dealer, or is he being shucked and jived from CarMax???
    Hard to know without seeing the car. Carfax isn't infallible, they depend on records from the DMV. Titles can be washed, states can be sloppy. Carmax has a pretty good reputation right now, so they probably aren't lying, but the Ford Dealer may not have intentionally ripped the guy off either, they may just have missed the damage as it wasn't a matter of record for the car either.
    My service manual for my 2000 V6 convertible has a section on daytime running lights. The car doesn't seem to have them and the previous owner didn't notice them. I know that they were required in Canada in 2000 but I wondered if the US cars are simply missing something that could activate them. The sales literature for 2000 doesn't mention daytime running lights under the safety section. Can somebody shed some light on this (excuse the pun). ?
    Sell your car privately. I've had pretty good luck when I sold cars in the $3-10k range. I had a problem selling more expensive cars because someone could go to a dealer and get a new car, get financing, warranty, etc. for a little bit more. A dealer will - at the most - give you what it costs him to get your car at an auction. The extras are never worth what they cost you except perhaps to the end user. I know that I'd pay you a premium for a high end stereo. Don't even try and turn your car in. A dealer will simply wholesale a 1995 Mustang - it is too old for his lot -and will either take you to the cleaners on trade in value or play the numbers game and jack up the price of your pickup to make it look like you are getting a good deal on the trade. The whole name of the game is the difference. The dealer will give you $30,000 for your trade and sell the Pickup for $50,000 or give you $3,000 for your car and sell you the pickup for $23,000. Put an ad in the newspaper!
  • ClairesClaires Member Posts: 1,222
    Hi, marsha7! You might also want to ask this question in the Smart Shopper Forum.

Need help getting around? claires@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Tell everyone about your buying experience: Write a Dealer Review

I could be incorrect - but I believe your car has the capacity to have DRLs turned on through a sequence of wierd secret codes that activate them in the computer. Your dealer would know how to do this. A nice dealer would do it for you free of charge. Others would charge you to activate them. Perhaps, you could find a friend, or a nice dealer.
    I am trying to find a tonneau cover or boot that replaces the one that originally came in my 2000 Mustang V6 convertible. When I purchased the car recently it did not have a tonneau cover. I ordered what I thought was the original one from Ford but it covers the whole rear compartment, seat and all, and I can't figure out where to fasten the front of it that just hangs forward of the back seat. It will do for now but I'd really like the original. The Ford dealer says that a part called "boot" might be the shorter cover but it is $700 which doesn't seem right. Does anyone know a part number for the original boot or tonneau cover? Thanks!
  • droopstangdroopstang Member Posts: 2
    ya.. unfortunately.. the OEM mustang boot cover goes around 600 to 700 bucks at the dealership! how much is a GT engine from the dealership that actually does something? gosh!! I just drove around without one, the boot that is, not the engine.
    There are plenty of them on Ebay - I'll probably get a used one. Thanks for the info. I'll steer clear of the dealer.
  • 67fastback67fastback Member Posts: 2
    No, this doesn't apply to a 92 mustang. Older mustangs (like mine for example, a 67 fastback) where capable of exploding apon rear impact because the gas tank sits in the trunk, which is behing the back seat without anything between the tank and the people inside. You can buy aftermarket steel plates which are welded in behind the rear seat which solves this problem.
  • minacminac Member Posts: 1
    i have an 89 5.0 too and i had the same problem with the hesitation and i had the mass air flow worked on by the dealer too... only it still has a slight hesitation..and the air through my vents doesn't come through when i step on the gas... shouldn't that problem have been fixed when they worked on the mass air flow...how expensive would it be if it is the distributor and if it was at the dealer, why wouldn't they have checked all the other possibilites if i let them know the symptoms... that's what gets me .... why can't they just give me my car back and running just as amazing as when i bought it 12years ago. i still do love to drive it and would never get rid of it...i've had this car for 12years i did just get a used honda to ride to work and man when i get into my mustang... what a difference.... everyone keeps telling me i should just get rid of the mustang but i just have way to much fun driving it... i had a 79 mustang when i was younger and that car ran fast too... i just love the power these cars have.. and i just can't get that feeling from driving a honda...

mc
  • djnosdjnos Member Posts: 1
    I HAVE A 1993 FORD MUSTANG CONVERTIBLE AND I REPLACED THE FOG LAMPS WITH ALL NEW AND I EVEN REPLACED THE SWITCH ON DASH AND FOR SOME REASON THEY DO NOT WORK. DOES ANYONE MAY KNOW WHAT I CAN LOOK AT CHECKING TO SEE IF THEY DO WORK? THEY WORKED FOR A LITTLE WHILE BUT NOW THEY ARE NOT.
    I joined the local club - Mustang Club of Lubbock - and am putting my Mustang in a show on the 20th of August. The club seems to be very active and it will be fun to participate in shows and meets.
    " I joined the local club - Mustang Club of Lubbock - and am putting my Mustang in a show on the 20th of August. The club seems to be very active and it will be fun to participate in shows and meets. "
    --end quote--
    Sounds great! Have fun with the Stang Club. Car clubs are great.
    Loren
    Everyone is going to have a little different opinion on styles of cars over the years. Here is a simple question or two: Between the years 1994-98, 99-04, and the current '05, which series is your favorite style and why? What is your take on retro - good, bad, overdone, or wanting for more? I personally find something to like in all three, yet I am leaning towards a pick of a series which I thought did a great effort in capturing the original spirit, in a fresh look. You know which one I am referring to. Yeah, it is only IMHO. So there is no right and wrong here.
    Loren
  • john_324john_324 Member Posts: 974
    1999s-2004s are where it's at for me.

I think they're a great combination of current styling (well, at the time anyway) and heritage cues. Taillights, fake-scoop-o-rama and the door styling all evoke Mustangs of old, but without being overly and obviously retro. Also has a certain (to me anyway) muscle-car, "gimme your lunch money!" look to it that I enjoy. ;)

On the other two choices, while I think the 05s are great looking cars and I'm so impressed with the job Ford did, I'm beginning to find them *too* consciously retro. I know the look is a big reason for their success, but this is the first time the Mustang ever replicated a previous style in such a wholesale fashion; that doesn't sit perfectly well with me.

Also, not sure I like how Mustangs are getting BIG again...

As the years go by, though, I have to say that I like the style of the 1994-98s more and more. It's a little more restrained in style than the SN95 part II, and seems positively lithe, size-wise, next to an '05. I bet they age well, esp. the 1994-1995s with the 5.0.

Just my .02. :)
  • wannastang1wannastang1 Member Posts: 1
    I've wanted a Mustang for a long time and am now interested in buying one. I'm interested in a used stang in the '99-'04 style and either a V6 or GT. This style is my favorite but I'm not sure which source of buying would be most beneficial to receive a reliable, low-priced, non-tortured Mustang. My options include local public auctions, e-bay, regular used car dealers or Certified Pre-owned Dealers. I was just wandering which form would be the best and safest for providing me with the best condition, least-costly Mustang in the '99-'04 style.
    Thanks.
  • arnie08515arnie08515 Member Posts: 2
    I have a chance to buy a 2004 mustang ge coupe for 20,800. I got the quote but I had to check with my insurance company since its an 8 cylinder vehicle. I am 50 sho i am hoping they don't fleece me on insurance. Anybody comment on the 2004 and that price. the cars two years old now but I still love the old mustang looks

please comment
  • droopstangdroopstang Member Posts: 2
    i just love the way the 99 to 2004 stangs look.. the styling to me is exactly what a modern mustang should be... something that invokes the image of MUSCLE CAR!!

now.. on the other hand.. the messed up ratio of weight in front makes the car fishtail in wet or snow conditions.... thats unacceptable...

seems to me that the new mustangs have a better weight ratio..
  • stangponystangpony Member Posts: 1
    Hi, Im planning on getting a 95 mustang convertible. There is a little slit in the convertible top tho, i just wanted some advice on the best way to fix this minor problem.
    I would think around $18,500 or so on a used GT for the '04 makes more sense. Some new '04 sold around $21K and under. AAA insurance may be one possible company to look at for the Mustang. I think they are pretty fair for performance cars if the driver is old enough. As for the other person looking for a car, maybe a search of the local ads for cars and just try to size-up the person you are buying the car from. Look for local Mustang clubs and see if a member is selling their prized car. They won't be beating up their Stangs. Expect them to come down $500 to $1000 on private buy prices, and sometimes more with a dealer, if that is the way you decide to go. Be sure the dealership is highly rated amongst people in your town.
    Loren
    A post pretty much reflects my feelings on the older model vs. the new. I think the retro thing just about got too carried away. Almost became a replica car of 1968/69 model year. I too liked the 1994-98 for its modern rendition of the early model. It looks fresh, is not too large and heavy looking, and just looks new and smooth. The 1999 year did add some quality to performance, so that is an added value. The flat sides are the one distraction though to an otherwise neat new look. Then came the '05, which does look good. It looks good, but perhaps too much like what I already saw in a showroom as a kid, a few years back. Now GM could redo the 1967-69 Camaro, and have what I see as an ever more beautiful body. And Dodge could make the Challenger again. We all must shake our heads in wonder as to where they are going with the current Charger - just all too sad :cry: Consider the Malibu SS for 1968, and how that looked. Make a " replica car " of that one and it would sell. I am not saying that I would not consider buying the 2005 Stang, and that it is not improved in overall performance, it is just something which leaves me with mixed feelings. When I saw a Dodge Stealth in the showroom in 1990, I knew it was calling to me, and it was a fresh design. As for Mustangs, I think the best of 1990-2004 looks wise goes to '98 and with more HP, a tighter body, and traction control, the '99 on is one to really consider. From a technology aspect, without independent rear suspension and with too much front weight bias, non of the Stangs is actually perfect. They are mainly for fun, a little rough around the edges compared to Japanese makes, but with some American car spirit / soul about them. I see that the new Stang for '05 is gaining a little size. This seems to be the trend over the decade of so, of more weight and size. We don't need that - killed sales before when that happened. No, I realize it is far from huge, but it is gaining ever model change, so look out!
    Loren
  • john_324john_324 Member Posts: 974
    Loren, I worry about the same thing. The Mustang's getting large again, just like it did back in the early to mid-1970s. And we all remember what happened after that... ;)

My '02 seemed pretty large compared to a Fox Body at the time I got it, or even compared to the 94-98 car. But next to an '05, it seems quite svelte.
  • dan1dan1 Member Posts: 76
    Wannastang1, you might try looking for a used Bullitt GT they came in Dark Highland Green, True Blue, and Black and were only made in 2001. You may pay a little more for one but they were very limited production and most people that own them take better care and keep the miles low. Just a thought.
  • mschmalmschmal Member Posts: 1,757
    Here in NJ at the NADE auction in Bordentown, Mustangs are going way over book value often 2,000 over book value.

that $20.5k is probably the current market price.

Mark
  • frisconickfrisconick Member Posts: 1,275
    Best car I ever owned!!! :P
  • jessie945jessie945 Member Posts: 1
    Just yesterday I unhooked my neg battery to change my air filter. Upon rehooking my car wouldn't turn over. I have a 98 mustang convertible w/ TRW transmitter. I think that my anti theft device has locked on and I don't know how to reset it. The fuel pump works in on but wont stay on and start the car. If anyone can help I'd appreciate it.