Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Mustang (2004 and earlier)

Comments

• smk24smk24 Member Posts: 1
    I live in Northern CA and there is not much rain here either. I have the EXACT same problem with water puddling behind the passenger seat in my 2000 Mustang GT convertible. It started late last year, but I did not pay much attention to it as it happened near the end of the rainy season. I have looked everywhere in the car for the leak ... I have even spent time sitting in the car during storms to see if I can find something dripping but there is no obvious sign of a leak. Nothing coming in through door, window, or roof seals; nothing dripping from any surfaces. After a big storm there is a sizeable puddle behind the passenger seat. It's a bit coincidental that both of us are having identical problems ... there must be a design or seal failure somewhere. Any suggestions about where else to look, or what to ask Ford to fix would be greatly appreciated.
  • sc1977sc1977 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 94 6cyl auto...I know, I know...but Im a girl!! Anyway, I was in an accident last year with it..front end damage. Ever since then my car keeps shuddering. When I originally had it fixed, the auto shop said there seemed to be a leak in the head gasket. The other people I have taken it to all say the head gasket is fine. I have had my water pump replaced, spark plugs replaced plenty of times, and most recently, my fuel injector replaced. I have to top off the coolant at least once a week and it wont pull from the reserve. Also, Im scared to death that it will overheat in the summer like it did last year (after the accident) and Ill have to ride around with the heat on all season. Anyone have any clue what the problem might be cuz obviously I dont and neither do the 7 shops Ive taken it to! Like I said, Ive had the spark plugs replaced a few times cuz one of them seems to keep shorting out. The car shudders only when pressing on the gas pedal and usually from 40mhp on up. HELP!!!
  • dubinscdubinsc Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know why a lot of mods for mustangs have year groups from 1999-2002, and seem to exclude the 2003 year? I know the 2004 has a 3.9L engine if that means anything, but i can't figure it out? :mad:
  • john_324john_324 Member Posts: 974
    ...for what they're worth:

dubinsc, you're speaking of the V6 Mustang, right? If so, probably the reason for the seemingly lack of mods for the 2003 V6 could be the different engine Ford started using that year. Until 2003, Ford used the 3.8l Essex V6 for the Mustang. In '03, Ford moved to the 3.9. That said, with the exception of some engine mods, stuff like exhaust, etc. should work just fine on an '03 Mustang, even if the catalogs only say 1999-2002. It's otherwise the same car.

bob121, no difference whatsoever. The two years are in all major ways mechanically identical.

sc1977, good question. Have you checked the Differential Pressure Feedback EGR (DPFE) Sensor? Sometimes when they go bad, the car shudders and surges when driving. Are you sure the head gasket is okay? That year's engine is notorious for head gasket failure. Also, have you checked the thermostat?
  • gtgtcobragtgtcobra Member Posts: 268
    Maybe the source of your problem is from the seals on the convertible top. Maybe the seals around the edge of the top along the trunk area or around the window seal is where all the water is leaking thru. I read somewhere in another Mustang forum that the convertible tops start having seal problems when they get a few years old. You may want to check it out.
  • proton1proton1 Member Posts: 2
    Did they do a pressure test on coolant system? It should reveal a leak. If you overheated the engine, you might have damaged the head gaskets and now have coolant getting into cylinders, causing spark plug probelms and your "shudders". You better be checking oil frequently for signs it has coolant getting mixed into it. If so, you are wearing out engine quickly.
  • nghtshd88nghtshd88 Member Posts: 7
    I recently bought an 04 Mustang with 18,000 miles on it. Besides the right wheel grinding and burning when i make a right turn, 1st gear takes off to about 50mph in no time. Yet it can also get off 15mph like normal. Are the gear ratios messed up?
  • proton1proton1 Member Posts: 2
    Something, or things, is wrong enough to justify a trip to dealer. Isn't it still under warranty?
    Your description does sound like the previous owner swapped out the stock gears for a lower (numerically higher) set. Kinda rare in V6 models, but it does happen.

Most Mustang people like this, as it moves your power band down to where you use it more. However, make sure your speedometer is properly calibrated for the change, otherwise it'll be off (there's a pop-in eletronic module that does this).

The dealer will be able to tell you if you still have the stock gearing (3.27) or something else, and if you have the speedo recal.
  • stmustg01stmustg01 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 V-6 that is starting to idle at 2,200 rpms. It will go down to a more nomal rpm after some time and then idle fast again. I took to a very good mechanic and he said that he did not know what to do to fix it. He recommended that we take it to a Ford dealership for repair.
  • mrspiffmrspiff Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1997 Mustang GT convertible. I've had very little trouble with it and I still love it. However, it's starting to look a bit shabby. The convertible top starting going south a couple of years ago. An apparent brain misfire lead me to Armor-All the top to try to spiff it up. What an idiot. That stuff is evil, I'll never use it again.

That error in judgement along with parking it outside has really taken a toll on the top. The back window panel is disentigrating and has a huge tear in the middle right below the window. It seems time to replace it.

So, I called the dealer to get the "high" price. They want about $3000 just for the parts! So, I looked online and found a place that has the whole top, glass and all, for about $300. Of course that has me suspicious. I really don't know what to expect for a reasonable price for a quality replacement. Does anyone have any suggestions, advice, opinions? Any leads on a reputable convertible top dealer? I really don't want to just pick an online store at random.

Thanks
    Yes, the dealer should hopefully be able to fix the problem. I use to have an 03 Chevy Malibu with a similar problem. It was brand new and began to idle at 2,000 rpms for no reason. It went to the dealer 3 times and they eventually replaced the accelerator linkage. To make it worse it was an automatic so I couldn't stop it from moving. The dealer would be a good idea.
  • fdthirdfdthird Member Posts: 352
    I have a 2000 Mustang covert and just had the rear window replaced. The part was listed on my insurance invoice (Allstate paid for it) @ $1500. I would be very very suspect at the complete parts going for $300.
    Have you checked some of the other, Mustang-specific online forums?

I'm a regular at stangnetdotcom (I can't directly link to the site due to Edmunds' policies)...doing a search of its forums might turn up some good suggestions (the people there are big online shoppers...)
  • nemesis2nemesis2 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 97’ Auto Trans. Mustang GT with high mileage engine (185,000)

Junkyard is selling me a 99’ Marquis engine ($800) all included.

Main difference between the 99’ 4.6 Mustang engine and Grand Marquis?

Are PI heads the same?

Intake manifold?

Crankshaft 6 or 8 bolts?

Compression ratio I think is not same.

Can I do the swap with confidence?

Would I get same HP? …as if, I do the same swap with a 99 Mustang engine.
    Thx!

Of course, fuel injection and computer stuff out of discussion. Just engine block, heads, and intake.
    I think the biggest differences between the Mustang 4.6 and the Marquis 4.6 are the engine tune, the exhaust and possible the cams.

I believe they do have the same heads and intake manifold. As far as the crank bolts, I think some had 6, some 8. :confuse:
  • toddbinflatoddbinfla Member Posts: 27
    Just joined the community so sorry for the delay in the post. Almost any rear wheel drive car is going to have different driving characteristics in the snow than a front wheel drive car. Some of the difference is as basic as the pull / push of which wheels are driving the car. In snow a front wheel drive car has its wheels pulling through the snow with the heaviest object in the car almost directly between them. While this is a benefit in most situations it is absolutely no fun when you are driving a fwd car directly into a snow bank with your wheels locked in a turn and you tires spinning. (Understeer for everyone). I had a 1973 mustang for years and drove in new england winters. (No better time for a convertible :) , and during that time I have had my share of spins, slides and rock me out of this snow episodes. My favorite was at a stop sign on a slight incline. I eased out the clutch, and the car immediately started a counterclockwise spin, I cut the wheel against it, but I couldn't easy off the gas anymore for fear of stalling, so here I am doing a complete 360 and coming to a stop at the exact same spot. :D I proceeded to let the car drift back a little and then tried again, this time the wheels caught and away I went.

Any higher performance rwd car is going to give you a greater chance of losing grip in the snow with out, traction control and all the other electronics to help you out. The best suggestion is to buy a second set of 'winter wheels' with the best snow tires you can afford. Then pay about $15.00 for cat litter and keep it in your trunk. This helps put some weight in the back of the car, but also gives you a good material to help with traction in the event you get stuck with wheel spin.
  • camaroron6769camaroron6769 Member Posts: 5
    has anybody had a no start problem related to the factory anti-theft light? The engine starts for about 2 seconds then shuts off. the anti-theft lignt also flashes veyt fast. please help.
  • camaroron6769camaroron6769 Member Posts: 5
    i take it that the spedo reads 50 mph but that is inacurate. the speed sensor is located in the rear end housing and works off of a magnettic pick up. if you have bearing or carrier faliure causing any vibration that would create an inacurate vss reading
  • whystlrwhystlr Member Posts: 2
    hello, I have a used 2001 ford mustang convertible (not the gt) I bought it used and have put about 10k miles on it. Right now my car is around 66k, right between 60 and 70k. I don't know a lot about the vehicle history but I haven't had any problems whatsoever. I was wondering if anyone out there could give me advice as to what maintenance/problems I am going to be facing as this car grows in miles. When I bought this car it was a little over 50k, and I assume that any 50k necessary maintenance was completed, but i do not know for sure, can anyone help me pls!
    Hi, if you havent had any problems yet since 50k miles the car is in very good condition. All it should need is the usual tune up. You should check the carfax if you're curiuos. However it's not that old yet so you shouldn't worry. The maintenance was prob. completed since you havent had any problems. I just bought a 2004 with 18k on it and it had major problems from neglect so not to worry, is it standard or auto?
  • whystlrwhystlr Member Posts: 2
    it's an automatic
  • duwop1duwop1 Member Posts: 13
  • duwop1duwop1 Member Posts: 13
    Hi out there,I don't get around these parts much but saw something the other day that really caught my attention.
    Hopefully someone can provide me with some info.
    I spotted a half cover that went over the down part of the conv.top and went to the back of the front seat.I thought it looked real neat I assume its fibreglass and definitely an aftermarket thing.If anyone knows what I'm talking about can you provide me with some info.Where can I get one,how much do they cost,is it practical, and whatever else.Thank you for your time.Duwop1
  • kyleknickskyleknicks Member Posts: 433
    i too had to replace a top and rear window on my 99 mustang convertible... i bought both on ebay for $300 and had a local guy install it for another $425... keep in mind, this is just the top and not the liner... and the installer said it was a quality top.. it came out great... not sure if i could find who i bought the top from on ebay though... so it can be done.. and you need to shop around for installer prices.. one place quoted me $65 an hour at 12 hours total.. i had a friend who had her's done there and she said it wasn't even on straight.. shop around!!
  • bigmassbigmass Member Posts: 1
    My sons 03 is doing the same thing anyone got any suggestions how to fix?
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A national news magazine is looking to interview college students who has “pimped” out his/her ride Have you tricked out your car with big rims, outrageous stereos, wild paint jobs, spoilers, ground effects, neon lights, nitrous, the works . Please send an e-mail to ctalati@edmunds.com no later than Friday, June 9, 2006 by 5:00 PM PT/8:00 PM ET containing your daytime contact information and the make and model of the car you’ve “pimped” out.

Thanks,
    Chintan Talati
    Corporate Communications
    Edmunds.com
  • ebbie1ebbie1 Member Posts: 2
    I HAD THE SAME THING WITH MY 03. THEY FOUND THAT IF YOU USE THE TILT WHEEL A LOT YOU WILL SOMETIME LOOSEN THE CONNECTOR IN THE STEERING Column. PUT THE WHEEL IN THE DOWN POSITION AND SEE IF IT HELPS. THEY ENDED UP REPLACING MY TRANSPONDER AND CONNECTOR IN THE Column. GOOD LUCK :blush:
  • gurlynboxersgurlynboxers Member Posts: 1
    hello my name is Victoria
    i bought a 1994 mustang gt black on black convertible and i love it.. but on my pink slip it says lemon and i cant find out why it is a lemon... and what was wrong with it to be come a lemon.. can someone help me... thank you need to know because i can keep track of it just in case it was something that could be dangerous.. thank you
  • m1miatam1miata Member Posts: 4,551
    Contact Ford. They must have a record of the buy-back. Can't think of anything else to do. Here is a page with typical problems and recalls Hope that helps. It is a classic year, as in first of the restyled, so that's a good thing. Hope all works well for ya, and be sure to tell the next buyer about the recall classification. I assume the car has some good mileage on it by now, and you may be planning on driving it until the old horse kicks the bucket anyway. That said, the ol' pushrod V8 can be overhauled at lower price than the new one, I would think. If Ford gives you some help on this, let us know. Enjoy!
    I like those years of the Pony. - Loren
  • faux_leopardfaux_leopard Member Posts: 1
    like a targa top?

targa top mustang
    Are the A pillars reinforced for roll over protection? Or do Mustangs all have the same ones shared between soft and hard top models?

I like the look.
    -Loren
    "Are the A pillars reinforced for roll over protection? Or do Mustangs all have the same ones shared between soft and hard top models?"

The 'verts do have strengthed a-pillars.

That car must have body flex worse than a '80s Fox body convertible...I notice for all of his mods, he hasn't done anything to stiffen the subframe to compensate for cutting out a significant part of the unibody.
  • jrodriguez70jrodriguez70 Member Posts: 4
    I am torn between a 98 Mustang and 98 Sebring. The Mustang has 87K miles and Sebring 65K. However, I am most concerned about reliability and safety as my teen daughter will be driving the car.

Any thoughts? :confuse:
    Take the Mustang, it also depends on what model it is. I would believe that the Mustang would have been taken care of better. Check the carfax on both.
    Army tank may be the safest. Let's see, the Mustang does well in crash tests, and is less expensive to repair. Problem is that many younger people may have taken driving courses only for FWD cars. A RWD Ford can be tricky, particularly on the wet. FWD cars, like the Sebring will likely have understeer to them, and the tires stick in the wet. Back off the gas in a turn, and less bad things can happen, than with doing the same with RWD. The Sebring should have a lower death rate, so thus a far lower insurance rate for teens. I did have a Mustang when I was 20, but I had already had driving experience with other RWD cars and motorcycles.

If the Sebring has the 2.7 V6, it could be prone to sludging. Be sure to have someone in the know - as in mechanic look it over. Both the Stang and the Sebring are good looking autos. I assume we are talking hard tops. NO convertibles for teens. And change oil at 3K on Chrysler.
    Some links for ya: link 1
    link2
    You will find both are relatively inexpensive for repairs / parts. Roam around on the site link above for more info. about the cars than simply repair costs.
    -Loren
    I'd agree with Loren...both are good choices.

To be sure, we're talking about a V6 Mustang right? If not, a V8 GT is probably a bad idea for a teenage driver.

On the Mustang, some of the 3.8 V6s had head gasket failure problems (expensive to fix), so be sure to have it checked out by a mechanic.
  • jrodriguez70jrodriguez70 Member Posts: 4
    Thanks for all of your advice! I have rethought the whole convertible thing and have decided to get a compact sedan, Mazda3, and after she's driven our old beat up Durango for 6-12 months, I'll let her have the Mazda. Safety (within our budget) first!

:)
  • sundownersundowner Member Posts: 6
    Hi, I bought a 2002 V6 Mustang "Sundowner" convertible a few years ago and well, I've never seen another one. Have you ever heard of a "Sundowner" edition? Someone told me it might be a dealer package but how do I find out? It does seem to be upgraded with leather interior, chrome accents on the wheel wells etc. I would love to learn more about it or where I might be able to go to learn more about it. Thanks so much. :confuse:
  • 1fasthorsie1fasthorsie Member Posts: 16
    Never in a million years would I buy a chrysler product like the sebring, over a mustang.(having years of experience auto repair business in one capacity or another, I have acquired disdain for chrysler products in general, but thats just my personal opinion, but the 2.7l v-6 has a NIGHTMAREISH failure record).just try to buy one USED,(JUST THE ENGINE), if you can find it it will usually run over $3,000.00 or so, because they are in such high demand. Now, it is true that the ford 3.8L v-6 HAD some head gasket, and even front timing cover gasket problems, the problems seem to have been much fewer on the '96 and later v-6 cars.As long as it has been maintained and NOT OVER-HEATED with proper maintenance it can give decent service. I admit it is not the best engine ford ever made but I would still take it over a 2.7L engine equipped chrysler any day.Good luck.
    As you surmise, it's a dealer package.

The only factory-made V6 special edition for the 99-04s was the "pony package", which provided special trim, wheels and a very odd tape graphic of running horses... ;)

Try to find out what dealer the car originally came from, and you can call and discuss with them.

What color is she? What are the special options?
    :) She is torch red, wheel upgrade, white leather interior, white convertible top, chrome wheel well accents and the doors seem to be a different style. I ran a Carfax on it and it came out of California - any idea how I can track down the dealer? There is photo of her on my CarSpace page (I'm new here but I think you can get there from here.) It says Sundowner on the rear panel - that's what confused me - it doesn't seem to be a sticker - it's under the clear coat. Thank you so much for your reply.
    Oops sorry, I think I posted a new message rather than response to your reply. Looks at post 1941. :blush:
    Looks like you have a "deluxe" or "premium" level Mustang (the wheels are a giveaway) with some dealer-added items. The rub strip on the door was a common dealer addition on V6 Mustangs of the time.

Interesting about the "Sundowner" logo. That's not a Ford designation, so the factory wouldn't have put it on. The dealer must have gone to a lot of trouble to professionally install it.

Manual or automatic? Anything different about the interior?
    I wondered if the wheels were aftermarket put on by the 1st owner or not... Good to know. Also about the rub strip. It is automatic. The interior is white leather? with the mustang emblem stitched into them. Otherwise nothing remarkable about the seats that I can see. What were some of the other upgrades offered by the dealers in 2002 - do you know? Any suggestions on other things I could look for to see what makes it unique? According to Carfax the car came out of Burlingame California. But it's possible the dealer is no longer in business. I did find one old dealership in Burlingame - but they have no phone listing that I can find and no web listing.
    The stitched ponies on the seatbacks came that year on all Mustangs with the exception the base V6 version.

Dealer upgrades can be any and all things, but usually take the form of different wheels, trim elements and exterior graphics. It's rare these days for dealers to offer performance mods.

As far for other dealer-added stuff you might have, if you have anything made of metal/metal colored in the interior, it's from the dealer...Mustangs from the factory are heavy on the monochrome plastic. :(
    Wow, you have been the most helpful person I have found so far on information. Thank you so much. Are you a Ford Dealer or just a buff? :shades:

The interior has no other upgrades that I can see. They did upgrade the stereo but otherwise it seems to be factory.

I called Ford but they were limited as to what information they had on it. :cry: I would love to find out what the promotion was or whatever made them upgrade it to the point they did - I found out from Carfax that the original owner was a rental car company (I'm the 2nd owner) and that it was shipped to a dealer in Burlingame California with 5 miles on it. But the only Ford dealer I could find in Burlingame California is no longer in business. Any suggestions on where else I could get more info whatever the promotion was? It seems unusual to put so many upgrades on a car intended to be used as a rental.
    Nope, just a fan. I have a dark blue '02 GT myself. :)

Yeah, not surprised that Ford was unhelpful. I've had trouble even getting them to even answer the phone, much less provide useful information.

Sounds like the original owner was hoping to develop a unique rental that he hoped would stand out in the pack. It's impressive that they went to such trouble to apply the "sundowner" logo correctly...most places would have just slapped a sticker on it.

In any event, looks like your car may have been a one-off sort of thing. You might want to try posting on some Mustang fan sites...stangnet (dot) com is a good place with people who have scary amounts of knowledge about Mustangs...

So enjoy having a unique, probably one-of-a-kind Mustang. Red convertible with a white interior is a classic Mustang combination, and the white leather interior was particularly rare for that year as well.
    Well Thank you so much. Your responses have been a ton of help and have given so much more to research. :) I just love it. My husband and I have been thinking about joining one of the local Mustang clubs and he's actually looking at the 07 Cobra V6 for himself. I kind of hate hearing that my car was a rental car though :( - but hey I still think she's a beauty. Thanks again.
  • 1fasthorsie1fasthorsie Member Posts: 16
    Has anyone else had the (what appears to be a clear coat) peeling off of their headlite assy.'s? Mine have started to peel away in circular spots near the right side side marker area, and it looks like scratch lines are forming under/in the thin (clear)coating on the other side.Mine is an '04 GT PREMIUM and is parked in a garage all day 5 days a week since new in 7/04.Dealer agreed to replace them under warranty, otherwise they look like new, no hazing, etc.