Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Mustang (2004 and earlier)

Comments

• john_324john_324 Member Posts: 974
    Hmmm...first I've ever heard of this. The 94-98 headlights are known to haze over, but this is the first problem I've heard with the 99-04's.

My lights have a little pitting from road debris, but nothing like you describe. Did you maybe get some sort of chemical solvent on them, perhaps during detailing?
  • 1fasthorsie1fasthorsie Member Posts: 16
    No, but I do like to wax them with pure liquid carnauba wax, this should protect rather than hurt them.I did speak to a manager of maroone chevrolet's body shop and he said it sounded like a defect, but he had not seen them.I have seen some of the later model stang headlites badly hazed from the brutal florida sun, and the dealer keeps them in stock.They list at around $150.00 a pop too.thanks for the reply though.
  • 1fasthorsie1fasthorsie Member Posts: 16
    Took my '04 GT in, spoke to the service director, he admits he has seen the peeling headlite problem before.They replaced both under warranty, but the right side looks like it has cigarette smoke rising inside it, (1"wide area)obviously a defective service part, I'll be back there soon for it's replacement.Service invoice showed they were around 90.00 each at "warranty" pricing. :shades:
  • eblackwelleblackwell Member Posts: 3
    I have a 1998 Mustang convertible. The bolt (I'm guessing it was a bolt) that attached the hydraulic arm to the rest of the roof assembly came out. To raise the roof, I need to yank on that side at the start and then it's fine, although I wonder how much strain this is putting on the other side.

Does anyone know if it's possible to get that bolt and repair this myself to save money? Or is it too difficult for a home repair?

Thanks in advance!
  • im2spdeim2spde Member Posts: 1
    I was driving down the road lost all power, then the car shut off. it would not restart and is not firing when you try it. There was some smoke comming from around the distributor? it is a 4 cyl. Any ideas? PLEASE!!!!!! :sick: :confuse: im2spde@bellsouth.net
  • robbinrobbin Member Posts: 1
    do you know where i could go to find the value of a 1965 Ford Mustang body only but with a perfect interior?
  • poorcruzerpoorcruzer Member Posts: 141
    Hi people new to the site. Thinking about buying my wife a Stang convertible for a summer only vehicle, 1994 and newer. Can anyone recconmend a good year. Also when did Ford switch from the 5.0l to the 4.6l, and which engine is better. Also how is the 05 and newer Stangs affecting the resale values of the older models? Thanks in advance. :shades:
    Welcome to the boards. As for your questions, the 5.0 was available in 1994 and 1995, with the 4.6 replacing it from 1996 on.

As for which is better, it depends on what you're seeking. If you're going to hot-rod it, the 5.0 is the better choice...they're easier to work on, the aftermarket is the largest in the automotive world, and you can easily get big power gains. Also, the '94-95 5.0 and '96 4.6 were rated at the same HP, but the 5.0 has more torque down low, so it feels faster than the 4.6 (whose TQ is more spread out throughout the rpms).

However, in 1999, the 4.6 power ratings shot up to 260 HP/302 TQ. So right out of the box, it was more powerful than a stock 5.0. However, the 4.6 is a lot harder to work on, go-fast parts aren't as ubiquitous, and you'll spend more to make it faster. So if you're looking for good power w/o tinkering with it, the 4.6 is the choice.

The new S197 Mustang is somewhat affecting the prices of the SN95 models, but not too much over regular depreciation. V8 Mustangs (esp. the 5.0s these days) are always sought after. The key is to make sure you're buying one that's not been run into the ground by the previous owner. :)
  • tacomaguytacomaguy Member Posts: 41
    I'm cleaning up a relative's GTR and I can't get the rear seat to come up. I can usually just push the seat back to clear a metal hook on the floor and then pull up on the seat. Do I need to push harder or is it bolted down somewhere?

BTW, this car has a K&N air filter input system. Was that stock? Also has a "281 High Output Engine" decal on the hood.
  • luma46luma46 Member Posts: 3
    Couple months ago I bought a 2000 Mustang convertible 3.8L, manual tranny, overall in a very good shape, only 67000 kms on the clock. No issues/problems then.
    Few weeks ago I put two mods on the car. First a high flow muffler, which did not create any problems. Later on, I installed a K&N air filter and that was when problems started.

I need to tell that both mods had actually a positive effect on performance, more power and better torque especially at low RPMs. However, shortly after installing the K&N filter, I noticed that when accelerating in lower gears, the engine starts missing/skipping past 2500 or 3000 RPM. It feels like the fuel was momentarily cut off. No problems when cruising or in 5th gear.

I did search the net and as recommended, I cleaned the MAF sensor. It seemed to help a bit but this skipping is still clearly there. I wonder if by letting the engine breathe more freely the fuel management system is somehow confused about fuel delivery.

Any help/comments would be appreciated.

Lumir
    No such thing as a GTR Mustang; aftermarket badging..same with the "281" sticker. To each their own of course, but one vote here for removing them... :blush:

For the rear seats, there should be two tabs, one in the center of each seating area, where the carpeting meets the seats. You may have to lift up the seat a little. You then have to insert a screwdriver into the front to release the seat bottoms. That should do it I believe.

The K&N system is aftermarket. Only the late Mustang Cobra "R" edition came from the factory with a K&N filter.
    Did you try disconnecting the battery for a few minutes? If not, given it a try. When you reconnect and start her back up, the car will "learn" to deal with the new airflow. It definitely sounds like your car isn't getting enough fuel, but usually after some driving around, the computer will sort it out. :confuse:

A greasy MAF is the most common culprit. Definitely was for me.
    The "GTR" badge appears to have been put there by the factory, it is chrome and looks like an OEM part. Same with the lettering on the side of the hood scoop. They are individual black letters rather than a solid decal. I'm
    wondering if it was a special model ordered by the dealer?
    It was a used car when my relative bought it. I found a paper in the car with the other owner's name from California.

The above post has got me thinking, too. If I remove the very dirty K&N filter, is it okay to run the car without a filter for a few days until I get a new one. (I know you can clean them but this one looks too far gone.)
    Sorry for any letdown, but not a special model. There's an '05 GT-R Mustang concept from Ford, but it's not a production model. As for the 281 stickers, Ford hasn't used cubic inch designations on Mustangs since the 302 became the 5.0 in 1979. So another aftermarket bit. As you surmise, a dealer might have applied them.

If you like them, by all means keep them (the 281 lettering is a nod to the old days), but they're not part of a factory special edition. The only special edition in 2000 was a special, limited "spring feature" edition that had two wide hood stripes on either side of the scoop with "GT" cutouts.

Don't drive w/o the filter...running a car w/o one is very very risky and could result in major engine damage. Only takes 30 minutes - 1 hour or so to clean a K&N (local autoparts store should have the kit if you don't already)...as dirty as it may look, it's amazing what the cleaner solvent can do.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,293
    i have a 91 gt 'vert. the 5.0 is the way to go. the 4.6 needs the new edge model to keep up. the 5.0 lasts forever. eventhough i only have a little over 30k on it, it still gets about 20 mpg just driving around. it drives easy too.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • beernutbeernut Member Posts: 329
    I need your worthy advice.

I want to buy an entry level Mustang in the pre-2005 body style and have two cars I'm considering. They are identical white/tan V6 Auto's and are both at $7k. Here are the differences:

2000 with 66k miles. Nicer interior and exterior. I like the black body decals and the wheels better. No keyless enty fob. Available from a Ford dealer who's reputation is very marginal.

2001 with 42k miles. Interior looks more worn. Has more body dings. Has tan body decals which I don't like as well. Wheels are OK but not as attractive to me. Power steering pump whines. Front bumper and hood were damaged at some point and replaced but the hood is from a Cobra and looks odd with the fake scoop. Available from a private owner who seems like a nice guy.

I know nothing about Mustangs and would really value your input. Both cars appear to be generally sound.

Thanks.
    I did disconnect the battery for 15 minutes and the hesitation at higher RPM under a load is still there. I do not think it is an ignition fault, it definitely feels like an intermittent lack of fuel. The question is if it is something mechanical (fuel filter, fuel pump/pressure) or control module/sensors related.
    I will gradually check all these things (already bought the fuel filter). Unfortunately I am right now busy with some home improvement projects, so I am not sure when I get to it. BTW, my Mustang is just a toy car, a substitute for a motorcycle (my wife wouldn’t ride with me any more) and I will be parking it for winter soon
    Lumir
    Based on what you've said, If it were me, I'd buy the 2000. :shades:

There are no real differences mechanically between the 2 years. From 1999 to 2004 the Mustang was more or less unchanged at the core. There were some cosmetic changes, but that's it...

The difference in mileage is negligible from a long-term point of view...the key will be how well they were maintained (so be sure to get records/have 'em looked over).

Other: sounds like the 2001 has a GT hood, if it has a pronounced hood scoop. You can get a replacement key fob for the 2000 pretty easily.

And I agree on the striping...I never liked the tan rocker panel stripes myself. Black is classic Mustang.
    Hmmm...it also could be a sparkplug misfire perhaps... :confuse:
    Thanks, 324. Yes, I think "Classic Mustang" is the perfect description of how the 00 looks sitting next to the 01. Odd, since they are the same car with a different color of decal, but you are right.

Also, the 00 has a dealer I can yell at for stuff. I'd never go back to a private seller with problems.
    I never understood the tan striping...a very odd choice at the time, given how Ford was really ramping up the retro at that point. Red stripes would have been a good-looking choice for white Mustangs only... :shades:

I actually put those rocker panel stripes on my '02...white for me, as my car is dark blue.

What do the wheels look like on the '00? Are they kinda a shiny, machined chrome, in a star pattern with exposed lugs?
    No, the wheels are a machined aluminum affair with a pony cover over the lugs. Not my favorite, but I'm not big on wheels anyway. They are actually what I would call a "split" three spoke in that there are actualy six spokes but not evenly spaced - they are sort of mashed into three pairs. It seems to be pretty standard for the 00. The 01 I looked at had the same finish in a five spoke and I didn't like it as well.

Anyway, the dealer came down another grand so I bought the 00 on Saturday. The exterior is in very good condition and appears to have been garage kept at least for some of its life. The interior looks showroom - even better than I would have done - I'm really surprised at how clean it is.

Just a side note... I looked at a '99 convert. on Friday for $3 grand more. Only 24k miles and beautiful pictures on the internet. But...YIKES!! It started as a Hawaii car and moved to Maryland after two years... probably military. Well, it appears the low mileage was due to it being stored for a long time AFTER it was nicely covered with Pacific Ocean salt... corrosion everywhere you looked and at least one complete repaint. Some body panels had at least two repaints.

So, now I own a Mustang. There you go.
    Ah, the classic 15" inch wheels. Those were the standard wheels for that model. Not bad at all though IMO. Nice, kept-up interiors on used Mustangs are super-rare, so that's a real score. Sounds like you found a good one.

Congratulations, and enjoy your car...Mustangs are loud, crude, antiquated and unsophisticated...and probably the most fun car you'll ever own. :)
    I'm lovin' it so far. I haven't had a rear-drive coupe since my '78 Supra which was my first new car (I know... long time ago). After the sedans, mini-vans and PU trucks, I find I really want to go for a drive now. And after recently giving up all self-performed maintenance tasks, I went out last night and re-stocked on DIY supplies.

This is fun!

Hey... I've got a question about the clouded headlights that all of these cars have. Is the fix...
    a) Replacement
    b) Expensive polish job by a pro
    c) Buy some goo and polish it myself, or
    e) Leave them alone??

I'm sure its been discussed on this board before, but I'm new here.
    Replacing them will run around $130 each or so (for the OEM part anyway...I'm sure aftermarket ones will be cheaper, but quality could be an issue).

I've heard of people wet-sanding their clouded stockers with a really fine grit paper (like 2000), and then polishing them...apparently works pretty well.

If yours aren't too bad, you might get good results with just some plastic polish and some elbow grease. Just be glad you don't have a 94-98 model...the headlights on them are known to get quite yellowed with age. :cry:
    2000 grit? Gadzooks!

Never heard of it. It must be close to emory cloth. I suspect its a body shop item.
    A good autoparts store should carry it.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,293
    a couple of years ago, i just took some polish to the covers of my nephew's 92 sundance. ended up using some compound, then polish after that. they looked good for about 6 months, then did it again. car got totaled before it needed another refresh on the headlights.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    Hmmm... I've got both rubbing and polishing compound somewhere in the garage. I hadn't thought about it as an equivilent to 2000 grit sandpaper but its worth a try.

It beats the "total" option. :surprise:
    At www.mustangforums.com they mention a "midyear presentation of the GT appearance package". "It included 17 inch wheels, hood and side scoops and specialized body graphics."

My "GTR" has 275/40/R17 tires, a K&N air filter, "281 High Output Engine" graphics on the hood, "GTR" badging and the galloping ponies graphics on the sides. Could this have been the midyear package they are referring to? (The car also has a "Ford Racing" sticker on the radiator shroud.) There are no stripes on the hood but the car is red with grey fabric.
    Sorry, I'm afraid not. :( That midyear package is properly known as the "Spring Feature edition"...to which I referred earlier.

This special edition was for the GT only and, with the exception of the 17" wheels (standard at the time was 16"), was entirely cosmetic. There were no performance upgrades. The hood and side scoops were the ones used on the 1999 35th Anniversary edition. I think Ford made around 3000 Spring Feature GTs.

For reference, the only Mustang that came from the factory with a K&N filter (and a lot of other aftermarket perf. goodies) was the 2000 Cobra R, the last of the SN95 factory racers. Ford only uses the "R" designation on purpose-built racing models.

What you have is a individually-customized Mustang...a Mustang thing since the 1960s. :)

What do the galloping pony decals on the sides look like? Is is one horse, or a series of horses in a row, possibly fading out? Where are they positioned?
    Hey 324,

As mentioned, I am new to Mustangs and to this board, but have already noticed that you think about these cars more than the average guy. Perhaps you can advise me on what you call "performance goodies".

While discussing ways to eek a few more ponies out of my Pony, a Vette guy in my office said the easiest and cheapest for the boost would be a K&N air filter and hot wires and plugs.

What are your thoughts on these two items? With 66k on the factory wires/plugs, I am going to replace them anyway, but is "hotter" available that actually improves anything? In your opinion, does a K&N help or is it all marketing? Any other performance thoughts?
    K&N filter will help a little bit, but don't expect a big seat-of-the-pants boost though...biggest thing you'll notice is that the engine will "breathe" better and will rev more easily. Those K&N marketing numbers that show huge gains come from cars that also have every other concievable intake/exhaust modification.. ;)

An easy mod you can do right now though is to remove the airfilter silencer. It's that rubber cone on the filter housing that goes into the fenderwell. Some claim that removing it is worth a few HP...however, it is equally claimed that doing so will lose you a few TQ. So it's really a toss-up. It snaps on and off, so easy to experiment to see what you like best.

Plugs and wires are definitely a good bet. If you don't mind changing the plugs occasionally, go for copper plugs to replace the stock platinums...they'll give you better performance, but you'll have to change 'em more often.
    What the heck... I'll try them all. One at a time, of course.
    The filter and silencer question (with all the possible combintations of the two) is probably the most hotly debated SN95 Mustang issue on the internet...it's pretty funny actually how passionate people get about it. :P
    Passion is good, but over an air filter? Black VS White fuzzy dice, maybe... but air filters?
  • xeremehxeremeh Member Posts: 3
    I've always been a fan of the Mustang, and have a few questions that I would like an answer too, and pretty pronto. I'm in a NEED situation for a car, and will be shopping around this weekend. I've done alot of my homework on Edmunds and around the other various car sites on the web, so have a decent idea on the all-around aspect, but just need a ltitle input from Mustang owners.

My price cap is currently set at $10,000, so most of my current ranges are 2000-2003 V6s with around 50-70k miles on them, or 1998-2001 v8 GTs with about 60-90k miles. Of course, being a young man in the Army with alot to show off, I'm all about the V8, but how much more practical is the V6, if at all? Newer year is always good, and with lesser miles, but is the V8 worth a few more years and a few more miles?

Also, automatic versus manual. My personal preference has always been manual, but I've not driven a true "muscle car" that's built to be that way. The Mustang is its own breed in that sense, I think, and when test-driving a 2003 V6 recently, the clutch pedal and shifter were abit.. vibrating. All of the CAR sticks I've had recently were smooth with little-none, so I'm not sure if it's just the car with normal transmission/engine vibration going into them, or it's something actually wrong.

Thanks in advance!
    Overall, a V6 Mustang isn't outrageously more practical than the V8 version, though it does have its benefits: the V6 does get slightly better gas mileage, and the tires are cheaper and notably the insurance is often significantly lower (see below).

If you do get a V8, I'd suggest going for a 1999+...the 1998 engine is rated at 225 HP, whereas the 1999+ is 260. Unless, that is, you really like the '98 body style (which a lot of people do...as the years go by, I like it more and more).

Mustang manual transmissions indeed aren't sportcar-quality...they're more akin to what one would find in a pickup truck (To some of us, this is part of the car's retro charm...) But yeah, clutches are very stiff, shifters are notchy and vibration is the norm.

A few other things to consider (if you haven't already):

Insurance - You've said you're male and young...if you're single as well, you will generally find the insurance on the V8 model higher. Sometimes a little, sometimes a lot. Be sure to factor that in your calculations.

Condition - Check any used GT *very* carefully...because Mustangs are inexpensive performance vehicles, they tend to be really beaten on by their owners. GTs tend to be the victim of this more often than the V6s, but as there are more V6s on the road, statistically it might even out. :confuse: In any event, a 60-90k GT can still be fine, just check it and the maintenance records extra-carefully. A good sign with Mustangs is a good interior...if an owner has kept up the interior, it's more than likely he's kept up the mechanical end of things. A trashed interior, however, does not bode well...

Good luck and hope you get one you like. They're great cars, and I've rarely met someone who regrets buying one, be it V6 or V8.
  • jimmj43jimmj43 Member Posts: 17
    who's young, impetuous and inexperienced. He owns an '88 5.0 'stang but gas is killing him, so he pounced on an '89 2.3 LX 'stang without test-driving it sufficiently. It was an "as-is" purchase from a fly-by-night used car dealership who won't give him his money back, but WILL charge him to repair the problem. To wit: It won't go into overdrive. Stock auto tranny. He's part of a struggling young couple, with infant, without the means to take any legal action - even to pay for the paperwork necessary to enforce the 72-hour "lemon law".

Should this guy be optimistic that a reasonable fix may be on the horizon, or should he begin searching U-Pull_it yards for a replacement. The dealership generously offered to do that for him and sell him the replacement tranny (delivered, even!), with a 1-year warranty for $750. He paid $800 for the car.

Thanks in advance for tips.
  • nghtshd88nghtshd88 Member Posts: 7
    Let the dealership do it, at least they give him a warranty, I think its worth it...

About the V6 or V8 I believe the biggest problem with them both is the transmission(manual). The T-45's or T-5's do not hold up well, esp. if you powershift kiss it goodbye. Also if the previous owner put mods on it or if the tires are bald I would avoid it since the trans has probably been beaten up. A manual V6 may be better, lower insurance, gas and likely less wear. If it has a TKO trans thats good, they are alot stronger.
  • xeremehxeremeh Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for all the input. I guess I can truly join this forum now. =) Just purchased my first "my car" vehicle. 2000 Mustang, dark red, with a manual 3.8L V6. 33,000 miles (norm is 76,000) and in above-excellent condition. Just one tiny scratch on the danged thing. And, my insurance is only sitting at $145/mo for comprehensive (that's frickin' awesome for a 22 year old male in texas with one total on his record). I drove it over 300 miles just the first day, and was immediately sold. Very responsive, and although it's only a tiny 6, the rumble makes it sound like it should be up there with the big puppies, if you're into that sort of thing. Impressed all the way around. I can see why you all enjoy the 'stang now.
    Me too. Bought it a week ago and took my 2000 6cyl. out to stretch its legs for the first time yesterday. 40 to 105 in surprisingly few seconds.
    Hey, it may be a 6 cyl, but the power it offers up isn't that far removed from that of the previous-generation GT... :)
    I am trying to fix some ‘stumbling under heavy load/high RPM problems’ on my 2000 3.8L Mustang. I changed the fuel filter, but even after that the fuel pressure measured on the injector rails is just a notch over 30 PSI.
    What I cannot find out is the fuel pressure regulator. I was expecting a vacuum controlled regulator on the feed line, I do see something resembling a regulator, but no vacuum connection to it.
    I checked the Haynes manual and it says “on models 1999 and later, disconnect the electric connector to pressure regulator”, but it doesn’t say/show where.
    Is it the pressure sensor on the driver’s side injectors’ rails feeding the signal to pressure regulator somewhere?
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Lumir :confuse:
  • mdhugmdhug Member Posts: 9
    I have a 96 Stang GT. Recently had to put on back brakes. After doing this the wheel would stick and make the brakes very hot. I took them back off that side. Here is what I noticed. The caliper is fine and working properly. Pads are installed correctly, E-Brake is not stuck. Pu new caliper pins in because one was sticking. The boot was ripped and allowed water to rust inside. I did clean it out with PB Blaster and looked into it. It did look clean with no rust visible. Now the wheel is not as warm but is still warmer than usual. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  • jacknzonejacknzone Member Posts: 82
    Hi People ,Could anyone one help !Sorry it is the topic you are talk about.
    I am Trying to find a movie. All I can remember of the movie is the end of the movie when the car hits a train side on ( you think he has got away with it ),I think the car was a Dodge Charger , IT has been many years since i have seen the movie. But like to add to the car chase dvd I have got . Another scene i can remember is the car getting chase or something like that, in a orange grove. It was a great movie like Vanishing point , gone in 60 sec , Duel and many more. :D
  • farmer52farmer52 Member Posts: 61
    I vaguely remember the movie. I think it is Dirty Mary/Crazy Larry (1974). Peter Fonda and Susan George starred in this movie. He drove a 1969 Dodge Charger into the train. Perhaps someone else can confirm this is the movie.
  • jacknzonejacknzone Member Posts: 82
    Thanks farmer52 yes it is Dirty Mary Crazy Larry Thanks for your reply ,Have got it on order from the USA It go well with my other car chase movie. :D
  • musicalmerlinmusicalmerlin Member Posts: 4
    I just replaced the pads and rotors front and rear on my '03 LX convertible @ 43K miles. The rears had a lot of meat on them left (after the dealership told me last inspection cycle that they would need replacing soon!) but the front ones were worn down almost completely. The pattern of the wear scares me a bit - there is a pie-shaped wedge of pad left on each one - it looks like the pads are not being pushed evenly onto the rotor. When I went to put the calipers back on, I had issues with one side confirming my suspicion - it will not go completely back on without a little 'guidance'. I'm a little worried about this - it has thrown heat from some short test drives, but not warm enough to burn or glow.

Any ideas?
  • pancheauxpancheaux Member Posts: 6
    The check engine light came on my 2001 mustang with the v6. The code is showing the intake air temperature sensor is indicating a high temperature. I have looked for the sensor on the air intake, but cannot find one. I have looked in the chilton repair manuals and it shows the sensor on the intake between the filter and the manifold. The parts guy at Autozone came out and he couldn't find it. I have talked to the service people at the local ford dealer, and they aren't sure if the air temperature sensor is separate or if it is together with the mass air flow sensor. Any body know the answer?