Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Mustang (2004 and earlier)

Comments

• demonspeeddemonspeed Member Posts: 75
    Those magnaflows are going to get louder and deeper as time goes on. I have never liked any magnaflow product, especially the magnapacks at first... once they settle in they sound a lot better.
  • leftywaynleftywayn Member Posts: 15
    I have not heard that statement before. If they gradually get a little louder, I don't think it will be problem, because they are not very loud to begin with.

How many different Magnaflows have you had?
    By the way mine are NOT the Magnapacks.
  • agandyagandy Member Posts: 1
    I was searching on the internet and came across a site that had a picture of a concept 2004 Mustang I'm not sure if it will actually look like this but if you notice it looks very similar to the skecth in Motor Trend.

http://www.thehollywoodextra.com/Ford/ford.html

• obiwankenobi1obiwankenobi1 Member Posts: 290
    A pretty darn good photoshop if you ask me (because all the pics on thehollywoodextra.com usually are).

If it does end up looking like this, it isn't so bad. Add a spoiler and you are set!

I kind of dig it!!
  • jtkz13jtkz13 Member Posts: 51
    First thing i would do to a totally stock GT coupe would be subframe connectors, lowering springs, struts, and caster/camber plates. This will greatly enhance the driving feel without even touching the engine.
    First power mods should be removing the intake silencer, k&n filter, free-flowing exhaust, underdrive pulleys, and timing adjuster (most people set it to 13-14* advanced). These mods wont advesely affect gas mileage, and shouldnt void any warranty if they are installed properly.
    Next on the line if you ae serious about making it faster would be a new set of gears. I suggest 3.73's for a 5 speed and 4.10's for an automatic. If it's a 5 speed then also get a short throw shifter, and if it's a automatic get a shift kit.

Most new GT's coupes with exhaust/gears/pulleys/timing and a good driver will run high 13's on street radial tires.

You can always up the ante with headers, forced induction, slicks, control arms etc. This stuff will most likely void warranties though.
  • cuteeric17cuteeric17 Member Posts: 43
    I kinda hope that they don't look like that.
  • argentargent Member Posts: 176
    Frankly, the best thing I've heard about the Mustang is that it might be followed by a return to the original Mercury Cougar formula: a plusher, somewhat more luxurious Mustang. Since Mercury has been playing up the "Norelco Shaver" grille theme of the original '67-'68 Cougar on its recent models, it seems a natural. A $28K V-8 Cougar XR-7 would be an intriguing alternative to four- and six-cylinder Japanese and European coupes.
  • americanflagamericanflag Member Posts: 400
    is that the same as a chip? Is a chip necessary if you change the gears to correct the speedometer and odometer? I would think a chip would not be good for a warranty, is this the case?
    to European and Japanese coupes, there are not enough right now. Don't know about the plush theme though; I am a back to basics type and afraid that might be lost with this new generation.
    I think that is well put, retro not evolution on the 2004's. There are plenty other models out there that can be modern and evolutionary, but the Mustang nameplate should be true to it's roots. Retro, yeah.
  • gt4megt4me Member Posts: 58
    I agree on chassis & suspension work suggested earlier. Let's face facts guys...we drive some fat ladies. Tightening up the lowers def helps out.
  • jtkz13jtkz13 Member Posts: 51
    If you have an automatic and get gears you will need to get a chip burnt most likely. Wtih 5 speeds you just replace the speedo gear and it's pretty accurate (within 1-2mph).

And no the timing adjuster is not the same as a chip.
  • john_324john_324 Member Posts: 974
    I personally hope the new Mustang sports an evolutionary design that incorporates a few modern interpretations of classic cues w/o going totally retro.

In my opinion, part of the fun of a car with a continuous heritage is its evolution over the years. As long as a car stays true to its original concept (in the Mustang's case a sporty two-door, rwd car with adequate room and powerful engine), there's no need for either untested, radical designs or outright copies of earlier versions.

Radical designs are fine when a car is just being introduced (remember how striking the original Taurus was?), and retro is good for bringing a straying car concept back to its roots (the new T-bird) But for a car like the Mustang (the Corvette and 911 also spring to mind), the evolver approach makes sense from both an economic and aesthetic point of view.
  • argentargent Member Posts: 176
    Well, "plush" is a relative term. I think the current Mustang is pretty crude -- its interior plastics are bargain basement in look and feel, the upholstery is nasty, the suspension response is choppy on rough pavement, noise is not well damped, older examples tend to rattle (and the convertibles I've seen get rather shaky), and the seats are, for me, shaped all wrong. I know some people think that crudeness is part of the fun, but I'm not one of them. I'm not looking for a floaty 70s luxo-cruiser; I hate driving cars like that. At the same time, I don't think kidney-churning axle hop, dashboard rattles, or irritating wind noise are particularly entertaining.
    I think there's lots of room for a reasonable balance between refinement and sporting quality. Since a Cougar (in the original '67-'68 Cougar mold) is a little more upmarket than a Mustang, it wouldn't have to compromise quite as much to keep the price to a minimum. That's my hope, anyway. Otherwise I guess I'd have to buy one of these new Accord V-6/6-speed coupes...
    It'd be cool if Mercury introduced a new Cougar along with the new Mustang. Esp. if they made an "Eliminator" version.

But your considering the Honda coupe raises a good point: would Ford want to try to compete with cars like the Accord coupe (or the Acura versions)? I bet it'd be tough for FMC to produce a coupe that provides the power and level of refinement/quality that the Honda does, at a reasonable price.

The Mustang sells so well because it is emphatically NOT a Honda; that's why I love mine. There's little cross-shopping there. But a Cougar attempt might come within the realm of the Honda coupe, and it'd be tough to beat the luxury/performance combo of the Honda.
    Anyone know what the best way to handle this is? Just touch up paint from the dealer? Also, anyone have experience with paint chips from stones hitting the front hood area?
    I'd say just get the Ford touch-up paint ($6 a bottle at the Dealer)...probably other, more professional ways to deal with it, but I'm not the kind of guy who's obsessed with stuff like that. Besides, once you get that first ding out of the way on a new car, you stop worrying about it.

And if I recall, your favorite Mustang had some decent dents in it, didn't it? : )
  • scoottiescoottie Member Posts: 2
    Has anyone noticed, or had concerns about the noise level of the intake manifold. There is a loud hissing noise at idle, and a hissing/decompression noise between shifts on acceleration (even moreso on a hard accel). I initially bought a '01GT which was taken back by Ford as a lemon and didn't hear any noise from the intake manifold on that car. But the '02GT has this noise, and the dealer technician says it's normal - due to the fact that it is a plastic manifold now being used. He suggested an aluminun manifold (from the bullit) as a replacement to solve the problem.

Additionally, has anyone else had interior fit and trim problems. Mustangs are supposed to be great cars. I bought an '86 GT new and had only one problem in 8 years of ownership, which is the reason I came back to Ford for another Mustang.

Any feedback or suggestions out there would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Scott
    I have not had any problems with the interior. I don't know about the manifold sound, I have the air filter silencer removed and like the sound of the air intake.
  • scoottiescoottie Member Posts: 2
    I have a rear dash rattle, a passenger window rattle (when down all the way) a buzz in the dash during moderate to heavy accel, which is almost always between 3,500-4,000 rpm, and a constant low level clicking coming from where the driver's side seatbelt attaches to the b-pillar. I also have a very heavy clicking noise from the left rear suspension when going over bumps and cornering to the right over uneven terrain.
    I'd say "back to the dealer it goes"...way too many rattles and clicks.

My 02 GT coupe has a few, but they're the "normal" Mustang bugaboos: notchy shifter that clunks into second at times, windows that squeak when going down, but it's nothing like the cacophony you describe.

Is it a convertible? I know they tend to have more issues than coupes in this area...
    ...I'm glad I bought my 2002. I can't say that the design really does it for me. The front is unmistakably classic Mustang, but the back reminds me of the short-lived Mercury Capri convertible of the mid-1990s.

Of course, it's hard to imagine that Ford would allow one of its most anticipated models out to go the beach (judging by the pictures anyway)and be photographed...this could just be another concept.
  • checkmecheckme Member Posts: 73
    Will it have IRS?
  • obiwankenobi1obiwankenobi1 Member Posts: 290
    YES!!

And if it looks like that spy photo, I would be VERY interested in the car! Too bad there was only a pic of the convertible! I want to see how the coupe looks.

Obi
    If it's going to look like that, then count me out. Of course I adore the old Mustangs of the 60's and 70's, but something is missing on that one.
    That is the grade the 2003 4.6 GT takes. My local quick change oil place put the standard 10W-30 in my car. I was not happy. Now I am going to the dealer for my oil changes.
  • davinci74davinci74 Member Posts: 1
    Well, at least the Autoweek photo resembles the picture shown on www.lovefords.org and not that ugly car shown in MotorTrend. I used to own a Mustang, loved it, and I couldn't wait to see the new design. I love the front end and the sides of the new one but the rear leaves much left to be desired. The rectangular plastic lenses looks like something from the '80's and the back end is very squared off and boxy looking. Other than that, this will be a great car. I might just have to buy one. :-)
  • corsicachevycorsicachevy Member Posts: 316
    Why would Ford send some guy out surfing with an undisguised Mustang concept car? This sort of thing NEVER happens. Plus, the pictures look a little too good to be authentic "spy shots" - they look professionally taken (or modified).
    to the public to gauge the reactions. Also, on a more progressive versus retro Mustang that some advocate, I wish to remind you of another product update: New Coke. How did that change work out? Not so great. Gotta be careful about changing a classic IMHO.
  • gt4megt4me Member Posts: 58
    Dealer oil changes are very affordable nowadays. That's where I've always taken mine.
  • checkmecheckme Member Posts: 73
    Interestingly, looks like we are all of one mind on this issue. I too love the front and hate the rear. I understand that the new Mustang probably shouldn't be totally retro- the car does have to appeal to future generations, after all- but this is too much.

Overall, the car is too bland (the sides are somewhat dull, nothing catches the eye) but acceptable (it does look clean; it might even be the best choice, though dull). The rear is atrocious, though. It does look just the old Mercury Capri! The front end is perfect with a capital "P".
    Given everything we've seen (the motortrend drawings, the autoweek pictures) it looks like Ford is going for a modern interpretation of the late 60s-early 70s Mustangs. This makes sense to me:

- the 1994 redesign seemed a modern version of the original 1965 Mustang in terms of proportions and styling cues.
    - the 1999+ version gave that design a more muscular look as did the 1967 styling "tweak".

So seems reasonable the new one will progress and incorporate updated '68-'70 cues (like that cool front end)

However, this trajectory makes me wonder, esp. given the geopolitical situation in the Middle East and volatility of the energy markets, if the next redesign will be a modern Mustang II.... : (
    ...plus you're sure of getting a good (Motorcraft) oil filter...I've heard that some of the other brands (Fram specifically) aren't the best in quality.
    also, while at the dealership I can walk around and look at the Thunderbirds, Cobras, and (if they ever come out) Mach 1's.
    2004's. What's wrong with the current 4.6L? It's a fabulous engine. A bigger V-8 will tend to get worse gas mileage.
    about the Mustang II, I am nervous enough about the change as it is :)
  • goofy10goofy10 Member Posts: 17
    on getting a convertible or a coupe. i'm really not a big fan of coupes but i'll be making massive mods to the car when i get it and i think they will look weird w/ the conver. also someone said that the convertibles have more problems. can i get some feed back on which one to get. also yellow or silver?
  • thedarkwolfthedarkwolf Member Posts: 70
    Making it look stupid or performance mods? If your planning to put some big spoiler and tacky body kit on it then it will look weird with either body style. If your planning mostly performance stuff then the vert will look fine.

The only problem with the vert is it will weigh more and the chassis will be less stiff since it missing its top. Sub frame connectors and a strut tower brace can probably take care of most of the body flex but if your planning to make crazy power then the coupe with the same setup will still be stronger and lighter.
    I bet they do go with a standard 5.0 V8 in the new GT. Ford recently unveiled its new 5.0 SOHC "Cammer" engine. My prediction is that we see it first in the final "heritage" car for the current design - the Boss 302 remake; it then appears in the '05 GT.

After all, the "5.0" designation carries with it some pretty strong feelings and connotations (even if it really is only "4.9"). And "5.0" is cooler sounding than "4.6" unfortunately... : (
    I absolutely HATE convertibles unless they're convertible hardtops. To each his own I guess.
  • goofy10goofy10 Member Posts: 17
    by making it look stupid? body kits yes ... oversized spoiler no(they look funny). if you get the right body kit and you know what your doing ... trust me it doesn't look stupid. but not everyone likes that stuff. i dont think i'll be making performance mods cause i'll be trading this one in in about 5 years for the mustang i really want. but i guess 5 years is along time so maybe a few performance changes.
    doesn't love a big block? But I have always had a place in my heart for Ford's small blocks, starting with the famous 289. As long as gas mileage doesn't suffer, a 5.0 would be great. But I will miss the 4.6L. Someone mentioned how the 4.6 loves to be driven hard, truer words have never been spoken.

On the topic of rear views (I am talking about cars), I followed a 350Z today. I don't want to hear anything about the 2004 Mustang's back, it has to be better than that thing's rear, with it's nondescript slope and its two tiny dots for taillights.

The Mustang has for the most part had a great rear in the past, with it's signature three vertical tail lights, it's right up with J LO's. Well almost.
  • thedarkwolfthedarkwolf Member Posts: 70
    the same basic engine as the 4.6l just stroked or bored?
  • gasguzzler007gasguzzler007 Member Posts: 70
    ricing the mustang out step away and buy an import. Mustangs are made for performance. If you install mods that make the car look fast then most people wont show respect towards you. I can understang a few tastefull mods but I prefer if someone can back them up. Good luck on whatever you choose.
    I agree with "the" gasguzzler, Mustangs weren't made for those "look fast" mods. The GT and Cobra comes to mind.
    That's like putting ketchup on a fine steak. If you want to do that get a rice buggy and have fun. Better yet, don't do it all and just drive an ordinary car straight from the factory. The rest of us will appreciate it.

Remember how long hair use to bother adults back in the sixties? Now the kids are doing the same thing with cars. If I see one more lowered Honda Civic...
    New owners, as you know the new models call for the 5W-20 grade oil. But I have heard mixed reviews, that it may not offer enough protection. Are you guys using it?
  • jeffer2jeffer2 Member Posts: 35
    Hey,

I'm just posting to say I've been enjoying my 03 V6 Stang. She has 1400 miles on her now. No problems so far. The occasional rattle or vibration, but I'm thinking A)it's cold out and cars ride stiffer in winter & B)some of the roads around here are not that great. No big snowfalls yet. We had about 1.5" of snow last week but the traction control worked pretty good. Probably should have some Blizzaks though.

I'm itching to put on a better sounding exhaust and a CAI. That will have wait until later.

To Goofy10 - I agree with everybody else who said don't do exterior mods. Mustangs don't need them.

Hondas, Nissans, etc - they need the exterior mods because they are boring to look (in my opinion)at right off the showroom floor.

my .02 - Later - Jeffer2
    it is truly a classic car you have! Good point on the exterior mods too.