Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Infiniti G35 Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• mrelocmreloc Member Posts: 25
    My 6MT sedan has about 600 miles on it. When the car is cold, shifting from 1st to 2nd is not only a bit more difficult, but it seems that it grinds alittle- not a loud, fast grind like when you don't engage a clutch, but a slow mildly crunching grind. Once the car/transmission warm up, the problem is gone. Will this improve as the transmission breaks-in? Anyone else experiencing this?
  • gwhizzgwhizz Member Posts: 5
    The noise you hear could be the ABS system resetting if the grind is coming from under the hood as opposed to in the gear shift box. As for the difficulty of shifting, I originally found the shift to be "notchy" but it now feels effortless after break-in period (about 1,200 miles).
  • mrelocmreloc Member Posts: 25
    No, this is not the ABS resetting itself- I know what that sound is about. I can feel the grind through the shifter- Hope it warms up outside or the car breaks in over the next few hundred miles and it cures it... don't really want to deal with the dealer disassembling my new transmission already and perhaps making things worse!
  • carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,497
    FYI, I maintain my cars, including their leather interiors impeccably. That being said, the G's seats, interior in general, and exterior paint ARE wearing poorly. I have 3-4 cars at any given time and am comparing it to the 30-40 cars I have purchased new in the last 20 years. The car is a gas to drive, but cheap is cheap. They had to cut corners somewhere.
  • rderizansrderizans Member Posts: 15
    Actually, I find the ride very well-balanced in the G35x. It's a big reason I purchased the car. However, there was a definitely bit of ride harshness and even "hopping" over large bumps while turning in the first 150 miles or so. Things settled nicely, though, as expected, and I think the ride/handling balance is even better than my old 328i (that's saying a lot since I loved that car) given the bigger size of the G35x.
  • hughjsackhughjsack Member Posts: 5
    After having decided on a 2004, I just got notified of a very sweet 2003 G at an amazing price - 0 miles and not a crappy color either! Problem is, I was so focused on the '04, I paid no attention to discussions here about issues w/ the '03. I did however notice from time to time comments made about '03's manufactured pre- certain dates, and issues Infiniti fixed as they went along to the '04...

Can anyone comment as to the SIGNIFICANT common issues with the '03 (sport suspension package, automatic), particularly as concern performance & handling?

Not really concerned with minor problems, just ones that would affect enjoyment of the ride.

Thanks for sharing the wisdom.
    All I can say is that my '03 has had at least 10 recalls since I bought it, although it is one the early "dog door" trunk models. From what I understand, most if not all of my car's issues have been addressed with the '04. This, plus the resale value you'll recoup makes me recommend the '04 without question.
  • msisengmsiseng Member Posts: 369
    I second what carnaught writes. Also remember that Renault owns a substantial share in Infiniti. That says it all!

If you buy the '03 (without Brembos), then make them change the brake pads and rotors before you take ownership.

You should seriously contemplate the '04!

The first year of any car unless it is a Lexus is rarely good. My '03 Jaguar is awesome while my friends had serious issues with their '02 models (first year). Would like to see you make a sound decision and avoid the problems some of us endured.
  • hughjsackhughjsack Member Posts: 5
    Thanks, good advice there. Subsequent to my post, I discovered that the car in question did not have the prerequisite sport suspension anyway! That made the choice all the easier, but it's good to know they've worked out some bugs.

Thanks again.
  • gpwatfrdgpwatfrd Member Posts: 76
    I just received a letter addressing the issues with early brake wear. They will offering free matainance regarding the replacement of the brake disc and rotor for 3yr or 36K. That is great news. It does not apply to manual coupes though.
  • fngfng Member Posts: 1
    Hi kdlee,
    I am feeling the same with my 1 & 1/2 month old G35x when going about 40 - 60km/h. Above and below that speed is fine! Not too happy about it. Turn off the A/C helps a little bit. The engine is more noise than I expected too.
  • kdleekdlee Member Posts: 6
    fng, yeah, there is a little vibration from the gas pedal when you drive your car at 30-40 mph or at low RPM. It is really bugging me. And you may feel the same vibration from your gear nob.
    Recently, I am trying to ignore this problem since the car dealer told me it is normal, of course, according to their definition.

Also, I really wonder if this is common for all G35. Anybody tell me about this?

Hey fng, could you tell me what your dealer told you about this problem?
  • vsromanvsroman Member Posts: 95
    Is this interior very hard to keep clean? Would you choose it if you had a young one in a car seat?
    Choose black interior with small children, the lessor of the evils.
    however, I also think that Leather is a surface that is easy to clean, versus cloth for instance. I'm looking for some real willow owners to share their actual experiences. My local dealer has much more to choose from if I pick Willow.

Plus, I also heard about bubbling issues with the graphite.
    issues with the graphite, but the leather itself and interior trim is wearing faster than anticipated. Two friends of mine have the willow and the consensus is it's hard to keep clean.
  • eticketrideeticketride Member Posts: 53
    I have a 2.5 year old, a 4 month old, and the willow interior. Typically I only use the G35 for picking up the kids from daycare. So far there are no problems with keeping the interior clean. The back (for the kids) is just as clean as the front (for the adults). Most of the dirt accumulates on the floor mats. Using scotchguard on the mats has helped keep them clean. My son constantly climbs on the back seats to get into his car seat. No visible signs of dirt or wear. If there is dirt, it can be easily cleaned. If I had to choose again, I would still get the willow. Besides, the graphite will be hot in the summertime. I would rather have a cooler interior car temperature....Hope this helps. Good luck!
    You are giving me some confidence!
    FYI, studies show that darker interiors are not any hoter than light interiors in the summer heat. My experience bears that out.

vsroman, buy what you like.
  • stockwatchstockwatch Member Posts: 21
    Thanks gwhizz. Someone on another board said that it could be something having to do with the security system. Dealership seems clueless. I called Infiniti Consumer Affairs. Very refreshing change from the folks I was dealing with at the dealership. They were very surpised about the problem given that the car has about 150 miles on it and is just over a week old. They said they would contact Jim Coleman to find out what the problem is and why they are having trouble fixing it. They are supposed to call me back tomorrow.
  • pcoatespcoates Member Posts: 15
    We got our G in April 02 with willow seats. We don't transport many kids so that may make a difference. I clean and treat the leather twice a year with Zano leather care products. (I'm not affiliated with Zano) I use a horse hair shoe polishing brush to clean any spots that look dirty. They are pretty much confined to the bolsters on the drivers side. When I'm done the car smells just like it did when I drove it off the lot.

It's really not much of a job add maybe 10-15 minutes to a car wash/vacuum job. In the scheme of things the brake dust is a much bigger pain in the back side.
  • cdixon253cdixon253 Member Posts: 2
    I just finished washing my car, first in three weeks due to the weather, and was amazed at the amount of paint chipping. Has anyone else had this experience, and how were you treated by Infiniti when you asked them to repair it!
  • stockwatchstockwatch Member Posts: 21
    Not sure what was wrong with my G35x but in any event, Jim Coleman Infiniti gave me a new G35x to replace this one last night.
  • rflax104rflax104 Member Posts: 3
    After buying Michelin Pilot Sport all season for the rear I e mailed Michelin on its web site asking them to also build the front 225R45 18's in the all season version. You might want to do the same. Maybe if enough people e mail, Michelin might have the tire ready before next winter. The site is Michelin.com and you have to go into the site a little to find a communication icon.
    The hood paint chipping seems to be a problem. I am planning on putting coats of Liquid Glass on the hood as soon as the temperature permits as suggested by another person on this site. If not, then XPel will have to be the option.
    The 6MT coupe is still one the funnest cars I have ever driven. (I used to drive Firebirds/Camaros).
  • s530s530 Member Posts: 2
    I purchased a 04 G35 sedan (brilliant silver) in November 03. Since then I have put approximately 8200 miles on the car (mostly highway) and am concerned with the number of small chips on the front bumper and hood. Seems to me that the paint is particularly easy to damage. Is there any information coming from Infiniti concerning this problem?
  • bjvjsbjvjs Member Posts: 27
    I have an 04 G35x, automatic, premium which is two weeks old. The front passenger seat belt worked fine until today when it could not be retracted nor moved at all in order to use it. Any thoughts?

Thanks.
  • ryokenryoken Member Posts: 291
    Sounds like the kind of thing they sell the car with a bumper-to-bumper warranty for. Call your dealer and schedule an appointment.
  • carjimcarjim Member Posts: 155
    In the Dallas/Ft Worth area there are two Infiniti dealerships. When you have taken in your G35 to Grubbs or Sewell, how well have you been treated?
  • gwhizzgwhizz Member Posts: 5
    I bought my G in late November 2003 and still haven't received the title. I called the dealer and they said it would take 3 - 4 months. Anyone else in NY have to wait this long?
  • mbednorzmbednorz Member Posts: 63
    Do a search on this forum. Be sure to select the option to go back about 1 year or 6 months.

To summarize, this chipping problem has been reported on dozens of new car makes from all kinds of manufacturers over the last couple of years. The G35 definitely has it. I know personally that Mercedes, Acura, Infiniti have problems with it. Consensus is that it's caused by paint reformulations due to environmental regulations.

And no, neither the dealer or Infiniti are going to do anything about it.

I've had my G35 coupe for 9 months, and it hasn't been severe enough to bother me. I hope the same is true for you.
  • s530s530 Member Posts: 2
    So far the problem is not really bad, however I take excellent care of my car, and in fact have already waxed it three times, which puts me up close and personal. That’s what first made me take notice of the problem. The first week after I purchased the car while detailing it I noticed a number of small chips on the nose and on the hood. The chips are not very large (about the size of a pin head) but it appears that the paint has just flaked right off with no other apparent damage to the underlying primer or surface. Additionally, the paint adjacent to the chip appears very very thin. So, after seeing this, I immediately ordered a nose guard and keep it on the car most all the time (except when it rains). Since then I have noticed four or five new small chips on the hood and, amazingly enough, a small cluster of 3 or four on the top surface of the rear spoiler. I have looked at a number of my co-workers new cars (i.e. Jetta, RSX, Mustang...etc) who drive about the same distance and on the interstate as I do, and while they may have small dings, their paint does not seem to just chip off. It dimples and appears to be flexible.

I called Infiniti as suggested by another member and was told to contact my dealer. I then contacted my dealer and was told that I would hear back from them within 48 hours with a date for inspection by a paint inspector. Well, its been a week, so today I called to inquire and was told that “well sometimes it takes a little longer” and that they would give me a call as soon as they are contacted, which means that I now have to put off going in to have my car serviced and the passenger seat repaired (defect in seam at forward end of drivers seat controls). Will keep you informed.

P.S. Other then the above mentioned problems, I love the way the car drives and looks. It’s ashamed that Infiniti didn’t spend a little more time tweaking quality issues. I plan on owning this car for a while and really don’t want to have the car painted after a couple of years.
  • bocatripbocatrip Member Posts: 194
    There is absolutely no doubt to the fact that the paint on the G35s are problematic. The best thing to do is call Infiniti Consumer affairs and file a complaint. Keep your file number in case Infiniti decides to stand up to the plate and address the crappy paint issue down the road. I have an 04 G35 Coupe for the past 5 months. Almost immediately the paint on the front bumper started chipping. I had it repainted and installed a clear bra at a cost of $375 for the bumper alone. Since then, no more chips, but the paint is very thin, can't be taken to automatic car washes, and is very vulnerable to scratches. If anyone out there is overly concerned on these issues, don't buy this car. Other than the paint and cheap plastic interior, this is a great car and a terrific value for the money. Nothing is perfect!
  • victord1victord1 Member Posts: 94
    I think it's a Nissan/Infiniti problem. Some owners of Nissan vehicles also have paint problems with their cars. My '03 maxima has already attained more than a few touch-up spots. Like someone said, the paint seems to just get scourged away with the slightest impact.

My other car, an '87 Integra, has a lot of small dins but no paint chips.

Now I always try to park as further away form the next car as possible. This paint problem has been a major source of my disappointment w/ Nissan products so far.
    I guess it's a trade off. My 01 Passat GLX had unbelieveable paint! Not one chip after three years. It had a deep luster as well. However, there was no drama! The G is a fun car with lousey paint. There is the trade off.
    You act like one can only have a great paint job or be fun to drive. For $30k+, why can't one have both?
  • ticosticos Member Posts: 19
    Hello all, just wanted to get some feedback from you if you have noticed an occasional engine rattle on your G35 at idle (I have the 6MT Coupe). I cannot hear anything once the car is in motion and it does not appear to affect performance. Have not been able to take it to the dealer as it does not occur all the time (usually happens when the engine has been run for a while). If any of you have experienced a similar problen or have any suggestions I would like to hear from you. Thanks in advance.
  • wh9wh9 Member Posts: 32
    As mbednorz has said this is a probem with many of the new car makes. From what I have been told this is due to new paint formulations as directed by the EPA. I have had 3 Infinitis. Two I30's and my current G35. On my first 1996 I30 there was never any problem with paint chipping, staining from bug guts etc., but when I got my 2000 I30 I noticed the staining of the bug guts etc. Same thing with the G35. So blame the EPA and what they are requiring the car manufacturers to do. That's what I have been told. BTW I just ordered the Super Shield to be installed.
    Not so fast. I only have the problem with my G35 paint, not with my other two cars.
    The clear bra is the way to go before to much paint damage occurs.
  • cjs2002cjs2002 Member Posts: 341
    does it really help that much ... i know the dealor can do this when you buy the car, but is there a cheaper place to get it done rather than by the dealor... I'm going on vacation next week and when I get back on the first of april I'm going to lease a G.... I know its going to be black, will I see the clear bra on it? I know black gets really dirty and shows dirt like heck but I wash my car 2- 3 times a week anyways so...hehehe... any sugestions as to where to get the bra... when I buy\lease or after?
    I wonder if by having an independant body shop repaint the front bumper that the paint they use would be any different than the paint that Nissan uses at the factory??? So that the chipping wouldn't occur???
  • whittonmwhittonm Member Posts: 30
    Aside from Grubbs and Sewell, there is Crest Infiniti in the DFW Metroplex. I bought my G35 there and the service seems pretty good.
    I repainted my front bumper because of paint chips and a few hundred miles later I recieved my first new chip. I now have a clear bra over my repainted bumper and drive at ease no longer worrying.
    I'm having a clear bra put on mine this next Monday.
    have had the front bumper of my G repainted but it remains bra-less.
  • will38will38 Member Posts: 30
    I am picking up an 04 G35 coupe this Saturday. Can you tell me how much you are paying for the clear bra? I had a 02 Maxima and presently own a 03 350Z, both have had paint chipping problems on the front bumper and hood. Is it very conspicuous once it is applied? Also, Is a body shop doing this and is it a difficult job? I want to have one put on my new car, but I want to make sure it is done right. I would appreciate any advice.
    carnaught...is the new paint done by the body shop any better than the original from Infiniti as far as resistance to chipping etc.?

As far as having the clear bra installed I believe it is better to have a qualified and certified installer do it for you. They know how to do it to make sure it looks good. It is not conspicuous when applied. I'm having an installer in the Atlanta area do mine. He has been doing it for some years. Hope this is of help.
    In answer to your question, so far it IS. But, it's early and the jury is still out.
  • wibblewibble Member Posts: 569
    Folks I know with G35's do seem to have problems with the paint. My M45 paint has never chipped though. One difference I know of is that all of the colours on the M45 and Q45 are of the "cross linked" type. Only certain of the colours (I don't remember which though I'll try to find out) on the G35 are "cross linked". This might be a factor in the chip resistance.
    I had my clear bra installed on Monday. I'm in Georgia so I had it done by SpeedFilm. www.speedfilm.net
    Very professional job and Dave is a great person. Anyways I'm glad I have it on and don't have to wory about that chipping anymore.