Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Infiniti G35 Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• jimlacoursejimlacourse Member Posts: 14
    Had a problem with my seats as well, contacted the dealer, they would not fix my broken seat, contact infinity, no help there eather.

Contacted www.nhtsa.dot.gov they were happy I contacted them and filed a complant.
  • yogiowneryogiowner Member Posts: 117
    i have the same problem. not sure what to do...
  • wildcat2320wildcat2320 Member Posts: 15
    You all have been so helpful so in my ignorance I'm going to ask you before my dealership starts to really dislike me. They recently replaced the front brakes and rotors on my car and they said they replaced the back brakes and resurfaced the back rotors (at their cost because they weren't replaced at the point of sale). I have an 05 G35x, there is so much brake dust on the front, that my hubcaps (if that is even what you still call them)are black. Also in the back, the round metal disk is still rusted. The front is new and no longer rusted so I'm wondering if those are the rotors. I don't know the inner workings of the brake system so unfortunately I am having to play the dumb girl card, but I don't want to have to let them know that. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!! Thanks.
    Oh and I notice if I start braking at a speed over about 35 miles and hour the car pulls to the right fairly often like I just ran over some imperfection in the road that caused the car to go that way.
  • scottm123scottm123 Member Posts: 1,501
    Hey Wild, I'll try to help.

The metal discs you see inside (behind) the wheels are your rotors.
    Rotors, even the good ones, will over time, show some surface rust, but only on the parts not being touched by the pads. That portion should always remain shiny.

The rotors, when resurfaced, are turned on a rotor lathe and the shiny portion on the rotor is turned down a few 0.001s of an inch, until the rotor turns true and no high spots remain.
    Rotors only need to be replaced when they run out of true, have heat damage, or get to thin from previous brake jobs.

The brake dust issue is caused by the pads they have used.
    Brake pads are the part of the brake systems that come in contact with your rotors.
    Think of your brakes like a sandwich.
    The pads are the bread and the rotor is the filling.
    When you step on the brake pedal, hydraulic pressure squeezes the pads onto the rotor, causing you to slow down... and this explains why that portion of your rotor always remains shiny.

The pads in a brake system differ from manufacturer.
    Some are composite, others are a semi-metallic compound.
    Depending on the type of pad and the manufacturer, some wear faster than others.
    The brake dust you see is the outcome of pad wear.
    Think of a pencil eraser. As you use it, you get those shavings you need to wipe away.

The pulling to one side is caused by the brakes grabbing more on one side than the other.
    This can be caused by the condition of the pads, the rotors, or a combination of both.
    It could also be caused by a caliper problem on one side.
    The caliper is the part that holds the pads, and it does the squeezing of the pads onto the rotor.
    If one is not functioning at 100%, it may not squeeze as much as the others, causing one side to grab more than the other.

All in all, it sounds like a lousy brake job.
    The pads used on the G35x in 2005 absolutely sucked.
    If they used original equipment, you'll just have more of the same.

You may think about a nice Brembo or Bendix pad, but Infiniti would never flip the bill for that.

Tell the dealer that the car is pulling to the right when the brakes are applied above 35MPH.
    That, they need to fix.
    There's no excuse for it pulling on a brand new brake job.

Hope this info helps. :)
    Thanks Scott,

That's kind of what I was thinking but didn't know how the calipers fit into the picture. I'm sure they put a set of brakes on that are going to wear as quickly as possible so that they can recoup some of the cash when I have to replace them soon. I'll call them and let them know I want them to take care of it since they just put them on a few weeks ago. I appreciate the help!!

Wild
  • esfoadesfoad Member Posts: 210
    This may also be from a poor alignment or tires that have belts in them that have shifted. So, it may not be the brakes causing the pulling. Have to do a good check to determine the actual cause.
  • yogiowneryogiowner Member Posts: 117
    If you are still interested,

I've talked with both the dealer and infiniti (who directed me to the dealer...btw, infiniti's customer service is almost useless. i'm beginning to regret making this purchase)..

Apparently, not all the 2006 standard radios have the capability to display the cd titles and radio songs, etc. What I've been told is that the radio must be upgraded to make this feature work. Therefore, the premium models with the Bose radios would use this feature.

Thus, we are out of luck! it seems ridiculous not to make that a standard feature..

"The Yogi Fan"
  • memnock1memnock1 Member Posts: 3
    I have the exact same problem. Anyone know how to fix?
  • woodno9woodno9 Member Posts: 5
    I have a 2005 Base G35 Sedan and I've noticed the front struts really screech something awful when the car is on a downward slope. Even pulling out of the driveway and hitting the pavement causes a real raucous sound. Are my struts shot already? Any ideas what this could be?
    The car only has 15,000 miles on it...

Thanks for your help in advance!
    It's probably NOT your struts but more likely the "compression rods". This is a well known problem on the G35. I just had my second set replaced at 43K miles. Take it to the dealer.
    Could not help but wonder what is going on with
    Infinity. My 2003 Infinity has a broken seat and even though this is a safety problem, Infinity or the dealer will do nothing about it.
    Please keep in touch with any TSB that comes out
    Was very happy that you were able to post a way to complain to the government. My broken drivers seat is so bad that it tilts me in the back set 2 to 3 inches and the dealer or Infinity will do nothing about it. I filed with the govenment,now I will just wait and see.
    My seat tends to rock me back the service advisor side that his delership would do nothing for me. I called infinity and they said the same thing. I too am wondering how long I will have to drive around with a broken seat and how long it will take them to fix it.
  • jpd2jpd2 Member Posts: 2
    I have the same problem in my 2004 G35X. It is especially severe in colder weather. did you find a cure? I am also experiencing noise from drivers side front wheel/suspension, any one else have this?
  • kmartlakmartla Member Posts: 4
    I picked up my new 06 G35 sedan Saturday and yesterday took it out for a (ahem) spirited drive. At around 80 mph the engine seemed to be laboring and the RPM gauge was at about 3100, which seemed a bit high. Can anyone tell me whether or not that's consistent with their experience?
  • factfinderfactfinder Member Posts: 103
    Yea, that's about right -- 3100 RPM's. As far as the engine laboring, never. That puppy is as strong as a horse.
  • perunestperunest Member Posts: 42
    Scottm 123 gave you some good answers. Let me add some advice on brake dust. All car brakes create dust. The front wheels get dark faster because the front brakes do more of the stopping and work harder. You need to clean the wheels regularly. If you don't let them go too long and the wheels are in good condition, you can hose the dust off with the high pressure hoses at do it yourself car washes. You can also get brake dust removal fluid at any department store with car products. Spray it on and let it sit a few minute before hosing it off, again with high pressure, not your garden hose. Once in a while, if you wait too long, you may need to scrub with a brush. Brake dust eventually eats into the wheels.
    This should work well if you do it once every week or two. I'm always amazed at how many people drive nice looking expensive cars with dark front wheels. It's similar to wearing a $500 suit, but not bothering to have stains removed.
    Incidentally, you don't have hub caps. You have alloy wheels. Hub caps are only used on cheap cars to cover ugly steel wheels. Your alloy wheels are much stronger and lighter. Lighter is good, because it improves handling.
    I agree with woodno9. I had the same problem and the compression rods were loose. They had to replace them on mine as well.
  • memnock1memnock1 Member Posts: 3
    Problem continued to get worst so I called Riverside Inifiniti which I should have done a long time ago. They ordered a new CD changer head unit over the phone without even seeing the car. Must be a very common problem, should probably be a recall. Definitely not a loose wire rather cd laser is faulty and easily misaligned.
  • jbprice92jbprice92 Member Posts: 1
    Get ready for a long battle. I started experiencing tire noise and vibration 5K miles into my lease. The car now has 15K miles and 3 out of 4 tires are deemed "undrivable". The dealership, nor Infiniti, nor Firestone is willing to do anything to assist. The tire quote is 1,380.00. I have had tire problems with this car since I have owned it--it has ruined the entire experience for me.
  • agbiggsagbiggs Member Posts: 19
    I have a 2006 G35 with the Sirius radio. By pushing and holding the Disp button, it's possible to show the station name, the artist's name and the song title. But is it possible (as it was with my 2000 Audi A6) to have it automatically cycle through the 3 all the time? This would seem the best approach, and much, much easier than having to hit and hold the button all the time. Does anyone know how to do this? Thanks!
    My 05X with XM works like your 06. No possibility of scrolling the name or auto switching between the different displays. :( I wish there was a way to do this. Seems like an oversight on Infiniti's part. Otherwise, a fabulous vehicle (and this is not THAT big an issue).
  • murrowmurrow Member Posts: 72
    The operation of the XM in my '05 non-nav Coupe might be the singlemost annoying thing about the car. The XM displays in my mom's Acura and my dad's Cadillac are much better.
  • moonrivermoonriver Member Posts: 3
    Got a 07 G35 coupe 6MT on 12/23, had been sitting in my garage for a week, battery went dead. Had Infinity road side assistance jump started, drove around the neighborhood 8 miles. Rested another week,out of juice again, can't believe it died that quick. It also surprises me that it isn't meintaince free. Got to have the dealer replace it tomorrow.
    Good luck having the dealer help you with this car, I have a broken seat that the dealer and infinity will do nothing about. For a high end car you would think they would a least give some service.
  • jccai1jccai1 Member Posts: 113
    I have a 2006 G35 with the driver memory seat feature. When I switch from memory 1 to 2, however, the two side mirrors don't move with the seat/steering column. Does anyone know whether the memory function is supposed to remember the mirror positions? It seems like a useless "memory" if I have to readjust the mirrors every time.
  • rollbarrollbar Member Posts: 297
    I don't believe it does and I agree.

Roll
  • cosmothecatcosmothecat Member Posts: 13
    I have a 2006 Infinity G35x AWD with 6,000 miles on it. At 38mph the car bucks and lurches a bit as if the transmission is malfunctioning. Brought it to the dealer and they said "the driveshaft was separating from the front axle". They tightened it. It was the same afterwards so I brought it back and they said "there was an internal failure in the right front axle". So they replaced the right front axle. It's still bucking and lurching at 38mph. Once I get up to 40mph it stops. Any thoughts or suggestions appreciated. Thanks.
  • houston35houston35 Member Posts: 4
    Has anyone had a short hesitation with their 2007 G35 six-speed when accelerating in 3rd, 4th or 5th gears at an RPM (2500-3500) that should produce NO delay when you step on the gas?
  • rollbarrollbar Member Posts: 297
    Take it back. Doesn't sound like they've solved the problem.

Roll
    The problems they have found in the front axles may be a result of the bucking and lurching, but most likely not the cause.
    Under warranty.... keep bringing it back until it's done right.

I know it's a inconvenience, but at least you get a loaner. :sick:
  • moonrivermoonriver Member Posts: 3
    Took the car to the local dealership. They did a load test and concluded that the battery is a defect. They replaced it with a Infinity meintaince free battery as I expected. Total time spent in the dealership two hours, including waiting. Starts at the first key turn ever since. I am glad that the meintaince required battery is gone, so I don't have to worry about checking battery water lever anymore.
  • dboedboe Member Posts: 69
    I picked up a load tester for about $15 at Harbor Freight.
    Very useful esp. if you have a few cars around.
    Should not have to wait 2 hrs. Of course, if it is free..I'd wait too... :)
    Starts at the first key turn ever since.

Key turn?
  • larryallen707larryallen707 Member Posts: 174
    I have two electrical issues with my 2005 G35 6MT. Curious if anybody knows an answer to either or both:
    1) My trunk release and remote do not work about once a month. Just NOTHING. Put the key in the ignition, turn it, take it back out and then the release and the remote work again. Then another 3-4 weeks later it does it again.... ANYBODY had similar problem? The Infiniti dealer is looking at it but say they can't get it to do the problem so nothing they can do for me.
    2) I assume there is a problem with my power seat. On the back is the little button to push to slide the seat forward so people can enter the back seat. It generally works only when the key is in the ignition and turned. I explained to the service writer that this couldn't be correct because it was awfully inconvienient to have to get into the car, put the key in, and then get back out to slide the seat forward. He said it might be that way. I laughed because it can't be!? I then showed him a G35 (2007) in the showroom and of course the seat worked without the key in the ignition. He said maybe an automatic is different than a stickshift as the one in the dealer was an auto. Makes no sense to me. Anybody know how this should work?

Thanks in advance for any help!
    P.S. I LOVE my G35! Just not these two minor issues.
  • sportsfansportsfan Member Posts: 27
    this is a follow up to the last answer i gave on the CD Display issue.

This morning, i put a CD in and to my surprise, it showed the title of the CD and some of the songs. aparently some CDs show, while others don't. the radio never shows details in the display...

I have come to two conclusions:
    1. I don't know what the heck is going on and will probably never know.
    2. The Dealer I bought this thing from is either an idiot, doesn't care or not properly trained by infiniti.

I made a mistake buying this car, that i am going to have to live with for the next two years or so. My next purchase will either be a BMW, Lexus or Acura.

I am afraid of what else i'll find out is wrong with the car....
    Are you sure that the problem is with the car?

I know that you are getting no answers from the salesman, but that can happen anywhere, and has happened to me while trying to by a Lexus IS.
    Changing brands doesn't avoid the ignorant.

Most newer cds contain cd text, which will display the name of the cd, and the tracks playing.... but not all cds have this.
    Is it possible that some of the cds you are playing do not have this text included?
    Do you have a cd player in the house which displays text, so you can try these discs in the house and see if they display differently?

As for FM... who listens to that anymore? :P
    Not all FM stations send song information out, so this may be why you are not seeing anything there.

I'm not defending the car... I'm just trying to help you think of other possible causes.
    :)
    YOU HAVE A LOT TO LOOK FOWARD TO, I HAVE A 2003 WITH A BROKEN SEAT AND THE DEALER OR INFINITY WILL NOT EVEN LOOK AT IT. THIS IS NOT EVEN A WARRANTY ISSUE IT IS A SAFETY ISSUE, I FILED A COMPLANT WITH www.nhts.dot.gov and now I am getting some results but it took 2 weeks.
  • sportsfansportsfan Member Posts: 27
    thanks guys for the responses....i love the car so far, i don't expect to have too many more problems. for a couple of reasons:

1. I won't be keeping it that long (no more than two years)
    2. I don't drive it very often and don't ride lots of folks in my car (the taxi syndrome - smile)

To Scottm23:

I think you are on the right track. it's just annoying that you spend money for something and can't get thorough service. you are right, switching brands does not avoid the ignorant... :lemon:

what's a consumer to do! ;)
  • pwilfredpwilfred Member Posts: 3
    Hi, any reccomendations on when to change this fluid. I know the dealer recommends every 30K. I have around 58K miles on my 03 sedan. Also, has anyone done this outside of an Infiniti dealership? I was told that there may be some tool required that only Infiniti dealerships carry.

Thanks in advance.

John
    I have a 2005 6 speed with 27,000 miles on it and I haven't had a problem with brakes. Maybe I'm due soon, but i can live with 30,00 miles between brake jobs. Of course I always use low gear down hills, rather than riding the brakes.
    The only hesitation my 2005 6 speed produces is when I'm accelerating fast. When I upshift and let out the clutch, the stability control system briefly kicks in to keep me from spinning the tires. If that's your problem you can solve it by turning off the stability control.
  • kkraveckkravec Member Posts: 6
    We bought a 2007 G35X a couple weeks ago and are having some problems with the heated seats. The seat does not heat! When we took it to the dealership, they told us that the seats work fine and that is how the 2007's are. They said the heated seats are different than in the 2006 (we had a loaner car where the seats worked very well). Is anyone else having a problem here? Does the seat aprt heat well? Also, is anyone having problems with their cruise control? Ours is not smooth - it's kind of jerky. When we asked the general Manager about the problems, he said he doesn't want us to be unghappy and we can just "undo the deal".

Thanks!
  • sprinkler13sprinkler13 Member Posts: 452
    So, I've had my car for all of 3 weeks now, however it has been at the dealer for about half the time for repairs. I'm a huge fan of the car, but I'm a bit disturbed right now at the factory's inability to give an ETA on the arrival of the necessary part. After bringing the car to my original dealership for a check engine light, they determined that the throttle body needed to be replaced. They did that, however the exact same thing happened under the exact same driving contitions and the check engine light came on again. This time, I brought it to my local dealership since the original one where I bought the car is an hour away. This time, I was told that the ECM computer needs to be replaced as that was the cause of the original problem and also makes the car unsafe to drive (it could shut down while driving). The car has been at the dealer for a week now and they can't even get an ETA from the factory as to when the part will ship/arrive. I've already begun a complaint with Infiniti Consumer Affairs, but I'm wondering if there is anything else I should try?

At this point, I'd love for them to just give me a new car, but since the availability of a Sport w/ Nav and tech was already nearly impossible to find in all of California, I think this will be a lost cause. What do you think is appropriate to ask for in compensation from Infiniti...some free maintenance services? Window tinting? Etc.? I'd love to hear your opinions. Thanks.
  • dodgieblokedodgiebloke Member Posts: 3
    I am getting a message on my CD unit saying ERR FO - I was trying to eject one of my CD's but it never came out. I was able to eject my other 2 CDs but one of them is still stuck. My warranty expired in November and I wanted to know what would be the best way to get this fixed, take it to a stereo place or back to infiniti to get shafted. I only put Bought CDs in my stereo no CDR's so that is not the problem. has anyone else had this issue and how did you resolve it?

Cheers

James
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Rather than have this conversation in two places, lets ask everyone to join you in the discussion you created at this link: sprinkler13, "2007 G35 Problems" #1, 25 Jan 2007 10:07 am. It will be less confusing that way. :)

I moved a couple of posts there for you.
  • sprinkler13sprinkler13 Member Posts: 452
    Not a problem...thank you. I was trying to keep it in one place, but when I didn't get a response I figured I'd try a more specific header ;)
  • akubikakubik Member Posts: 20
    I have an 06 Sedan w/5000 miles. I love it so far. The only problems are that there are more rattles that I would have expected from a luxury brand, and the Bose stereo does not pump out enough bass.

Anyways, I was wondering if anyone else has noticed that either due to the aerodynamics of the car, or another reason, air does not flow into the air intake when going up a hill on the highway. THis morning I had the vent turned up 90%, and the control was on manual. I was driving uphill in San Diego (South on HWY5 after the 805 split) and I was getting very minimal airflow.

As soon as I crested the hill and starting going down, the air began rushing is at full blast. I was wondering if anyone else had noticed this. I know that the 07 has improved airintake for the enigine to cool, I'm wondering if this is the problem they improved upon.
  • jpd2jpd2 Member Posts: 2
    dont hold the button. just push it and it should cycle through. that is how the bose in my 2004 works