Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Infiniti G35 Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• Options
    paulo6paulo6 Member Posts: 94
    I do drive hard, with such a car, do you blame me??? Anyway, they occassionally grind recently, so I am assuming they are prematurely wearing out. I drive probably 30% highway and rest city. I just do not want to invest in OEM brakes if my lease is over in October. Thanks for feedback
  • Options
    ccdbbccdbb Member Posts: 18
    I am looking for leasing a 2008 G35x or BMW 328xi. I wonder how much it will cost for maintainess during a 39 mo lease for G35x, assuming all regular visits. BMW has free maintainess for the entire lease term. Any ideas?

Thanks. ccdbb
  • Options
    toflotoflo Member Posts: 1
    Yesterday when I got out of my 2008 G35 sedan, a loud steady alarm tone was present while the driver's door was open. It stopped when the door was closed. Any of the other doors can be opened without incident. This continues to occur. Anyone have any ideas
  • Options
    esfoadesfoad Member Posts: 210
    Possibly headlight switch left in the on position instead of the auto or off positions?
  • Options
    lala99lala99 Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

I have a 2006 G35 coupe and I have had engine/oil problems since around 12,000 miles.
    I have had it into the dealer multiple times, and they actually dropped a new engine into it at 24,000 miles!
    I heard through the grapevine that this has been a common problem in G35s, Altimas, and Z350s, but I have not been able to locate information online...
    Does anyone know anything about this? I traded in a Honda Accord which never had any issues for this luxury car and it's falling apart... any input would be great, because I really love the car, but not the problems...
  • Options
    dougie66dougie66 Member Posts: 2
    coming out of vents when fan is on and a/c off. Any ideas? Thanks.
  • Options
    1nickatnite11nickatnite1 Member Posts: 16
    http://g35driver.com/forums/showthread.php?t=110973

http://g35driver.com/forums/showthread.php?t=188688

http://g35driver.com/forums/showthread.php?t=225927

This sounds like a known problem in some 03-06 Gs with the VQ. My advice is push the dealer for as much extended warranty as you can and good luck!
  • Options
    tom176tom176 Member Posts: 1
    I bought an Infiniti G35 2D Cpe from Car Max a few months ago. How often should I get my oil changed? Also, would you recommend synthetic oil or wait until the car is older?
  • Options
    darrinzramzdarrinzramz Member Posts: 24
    How many miles are on the engine now!!??,I bought a 2004 Infinti G35 sedan w/28,000mi I change my own oil&filter I went with Mobil One Tri-Synthetic and a K&N oil filter,I will change my oil every 5,000mi.The Synthetic oil I believe is really good for 5,000-7,000mi.My advice is to change your oil to synthetic put 3,000 miles on the engine,drain the oil and see how clean or dirty it is!!!,first.If it's quite clean still,then next oil change let it go for 5,000miles.If the oil is very dirty on the 1st change I would may-be suggest having the engine flushed w/an Infiniti Dealer,to remove all or most of the dirt from the motor,Darrin :)
  • Options
    sharkman78sharkman78 Member Posts: 10
    So my BIL is driving his car in front of me in the evening and when we stop he tells me that there is something wrong with my driver side headlight.. He tries to explain it by saying that it seems to brighten and not brighten as I'm driving. (sort of when a car behind you has a shock problem and the car bounces). I look at it and can't see anything wrong with it. I bounce the car a little to see if it's loose but it seems ok.
    Any suggestions?

sharkman
    2008 G35XS nav, prem, sport
  • Options
    shov8shov8 Member Posts: 87
    He is probably seeing the high-intensity discharge (HID) light "cutoff" line... HID lights are much more precise in where the light is projected, and makes for an on/off sensation when the driver in front goes in and out of the light's projection area. Some people see a blue-ish color flash and think you're flashing them. Some HIDs are more prone to this than others - I had people flash me all the time in my S2000, but not so much in the G.

kc
  • Options
    sharkman78sharkman78 Member Posts: 10
    Thanks, kc. That sounds reasonable.. He did say it was only from the drivers side headlight. I suspect that it has to do with the position of his rear view mirror..

sharkman
  • Options
    ocg35manocg35man Member Posts: 52
    My car is 2005 G35 Sedan-Automatic.

My rear brake pads were replaced at 39500 miles. I thought that was pretty good
    for this type of a vehicle: Sports Sedan.

Now it has 47k miles and I took it in to Infiniti dealer for other things and have
    them do a Front Brake service, including new pads. To my surprise, they told
    me it still has 7mm left on them, so it's still good for awhile!

Is this normal? I don't drive like a teenager,but I don't drive like a grandma either!
    I know 2004 G35 had lots of issues with brakes, but I never expected my front
    brakes to last this long. I am happy to save money, but I don't want to wait too
    long if they need to be replaced.

I think 05 & 06 sedans use same brakes except for sports package models.
    I'd like to know what others experienced with same model G35's.
  • Options
    mcarthlmcarthl Member Posts: 3
    I am having problems with the stereo panel freezing up while driving. When this happens, I can't use any of the controls on the stereo panel including temp control. Also, no matter what the temp is set on when the panel lights go out & freezes, the temp drops to 60 & goes to the highest fan/air speed. We are the second owners, therefore never received a recall notice. Were your problems similiar to this & was there a recall? When I called Infiniti corp. they said that there had been some problems with shorts in the control panel & I would have to take it to the dealership & get it diagnosed & then the corp would see if they would help pay for part of the expense, which is $500. I have the bose system. I can adjust the volumn on the steering wheel when it is frozen. I don't want to have to pay to fix this if there is or was a recall with the control panel.
  • Options
    mcarthlmcarthl Member Posts: 3
    Mine is doing the same thing. Was there a recall notice to fix this or did you have to pay for it out of your pocket. I was told by Infinit that it would cost $500 to fix this. I am the second owner, therefore did not receive any recall notice.
  • Options
    raizelgsraizelgs Member Posts: 84
    I have a 2005 G-35 Coupe (Auto - 19in Wheels and Sport Suspension). I have 43000 miles and the car was just inspected by the dealer. They did not say I needed brakes, so I assume there is some material left on the pads. ;)

Most of the milage is a short highway commute to work (50 mi round trip).
  • Options
    oneillgoneillg Member Posts: 1
    I have rust appearing in the exact same spot on both sides of my 2003 G35. The dealer took pictures of it today and said it will take A MONTH for Infiniti to respond! Is this normal, or are they giving me the run-around and hoping I'll go away. Can you tell me what the resolution was for your situations? Thank you!
  • Options
    norbert444norbert444 Member Posts: 195
    Anyone with a procedure to replace pads by myself? I have done it on a Maxima, but not infiniti.
    Thanks a bunch
  • Options
    sportsfansportsfan Member Posts: 27
    Hi guys,

Can anyone advise me as to how to get a quality paint job for my 06 g35x?

A contractor is performing some capital improvement work on the buildings in the development I live in. Cement and some type of hypoxy has splattered all over my car. It looks as though a paint job is needed.

I intend to hold the contractor responsible for the cost to do this. However, I am concerned that they will try to force me to get the car buffed, rather than re-painted.

In any event - I would love to get some quality advise from the community out here, as to what my best course of action is.

thank you.
  • Options
    sportsfan,
    did you try cement remover? They sell it at building supplies. It may be your answer to the expensive (time-wise especially) and never guarranteed repaint job.

In any case, even if you settle for buffing, you may have to have the clear coat fixed after the procedure. Depends on how heavy the procedure gets. But it just may save your base paint which should be your primary objective.
  • Options
    kb124kb124 Member Posts: 60
    The Maintenance manual for the G35 indicates changing the 'in-cabin A/C microfilter' at 15,000 miles. Anybody know is this is easily doable by the owner, and where can one be acquired from?
  • Options
    I saw a Bosch microfilter (really just pleated "paper") at Kragen Auto Parts. They wanted $22 for it. The salesman said the instructions are on the package (they weren't).
  • Options
    Good grief. An internet search and I find a video on how to change the G35 microfilter:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9ZmVT3ryiY

I haven't watched it all yet, so I can't comment. Sometimes the Internet is amazing!
  • Options
    sportsfansportsfan Member Posts: 27
    thanks! i've found a body repair shop that quarantees/warranties its work and does substantial work for a the nissan dealership next door to it. the shop also does work on foreign cars, caddies and such. the only car I did not see in the shop was BMW.

The cost to remove the cement (using a thin blade) and claying the paint is roughly 200. I'm still apprehensive about the blade procedure. I would prefer something that lifts or removes the cement, rather than what's been proposed.

If anyone out there knows of a high quality body shop in NYC, please let me know.

thanks for the info.

- the fan....
  • Options
    paulo6paulo6 Member Posts: 94
    Good reference. It is just insane that infiniti makes one go through all this disassembly in order to change a damn filter...why can't it be as easy as changing the engine Filter...
  • Options
    alang4alang4 Member Posts: 40
    that video is for a first-gen G35, is that what you have? I am wondering if it's easier for an '08?
  • Options
    that video is for a first-gen G35, is that what you have? I am wondering if it's easier for an '08?

Now this would be better. Unfortunately it appears to be for a Nissan. Only requires removing the glove compartment door:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=VhgGEeNrGM8&feature=related
  • Options
    g35s1g35s1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2007 G35 M6 and it hesitates when I accelerate (for a second) primarily when the air temperature outside is hot and I am just cruising. It is very annoying. The dealer does not seem to be able to do anything but they have told me that the automatic transmission version has a similar problem and there is a bulletin to fix it - but it does not apply to the M6. Have you had your problem fixed.
    G35S1
  • Options
    farret2kfarret2k Member Posts: 1
    Mech says rear tires wearing on inside way too much.need camber adjusted. never heard of 2 wheel; rear wheel drive needing or being able to do rear wheel camber adjustment. Is he ok or what? Thanks farret2k
  • Options
    dmgrossdmgross Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 G35 coupe with the larger wheels and Brembo brakes. My rear tires did not wear that badly but the front displayed inside wear. The dealer checked the alingnment and said it was perfect. Apparenlty it is a bigger problem for the Z's, i.e,. front tire inside wear. The only recommendation was tire rotation: swap left right until I replaced the Michelin OEM tires.
  • Options
    yogiowneryogiowner Member Posts: 117
    Does anyone out there have experience with Bergen Imports in Cliffside Heights, New Jersey?

I am looking for a quality body shop for my japanese baby. They specialize in german cars. I believe they may be biased against japanese cars, but I'm more interested in quality body work.

I don't trust any of the infiniti dealers I've dealt with thus far (englewood, manhattan and pepe doesn't do body work).

thanks!
  • Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Yep there is a bolt for adjusting rear camber on a G35.
  • Options
    rgrottorgrotto Member Posts: 1
    Hi -- Any luck in getting this issue fixed? I am having the same issue too
  • Options
    Sorry but I was never able to find a solution to this. I still have the car and I just live with this.
  • Options
    gmcbobgmcbob Member Posts: 27
    I walked outside this morning to find all four of our 2008 G35 Sedan's windows completely down. (nothing was taken out of the car thankfully). When we parked the car last night, the windows were completely up and the car was locked (as usual). Has this happened to anyone else with a G35?
  • Options
    Well I have the 2007, and my windows will go down if you accidentally hit & hold for a few seconds the door UNLOCK button on the key FOB.

Probably my biggest complaint with this car is the key FOB design. I can't count anymore the number of times I have accidentally set-off the Alarm or found my windows open due to accidentally leaning against something like the kitchen counter. I keep my keys in my pants pocket and the counter height just matches my physique evidentally. Being the FOB does not have recessed buttons, they are very exposed to accidental activation.

Please note that I mention this window-open feature being activated accidentally, as you have encountered. But it is an actual feature when you wish to use on demand.
  • Options
    toe451toe451 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2008 g35x with 7k. Picked up a nail in the rear tire which can't be patched, and am told that due to the awd I should buy 4 new tires. Two issues: 1) understand there is a nationwide backorder on the Goodyears that came with the car 2) if replacing with same make/model, can I only use one? Seems that 7k is not much wear to mandate all new tires, but am told this might create problems with the transfer case. Thanks
  • Options
    circlewcirclew Member Posts: 8,666
    I doubt that 1 tire with 7k miles being replaced will make much difference. If I was worried I would replace only 2. Period.

Regards,
    OW
  • Options
    I agree with OW. People who don't rotate their tires do not damage the AWD components. If ur worried replace 2. Perhaps if you have a full size spare you can use it plus one new tire and then use the good one with 7K miles on as ur spare.
  • Options
    yogiowneryogiowner Member Posts: 117
    The cruise control on my 2006 g35x (with 14k miles) is malfunctioning. when i try to turn it on, the lights flash but it doesn't engage. The cruise control light comes on, but the "set" light blinks and the function doesn't engage.

AND my front windows roll down, when I press the unlock button on my key fob.

does anyone have any experience with this?
  • Options
    fexfex Member Posts: 1
    I have a G-35 that will not start after sitting for a week. Well it will start once, than the AT light comes on, the service engine soon light and the car preforms poorly. Once it is shut off it will not start again. I had it towed to the dealer last time and he replaced the AT fuse.
    It is doing it again and I can't find an AT fuse

Help?
  • Options
    ocg35manocg35man Member Posts: 52
    I own a 05 G35 Sedan. Lately when I try to start an engine, it hesitates and not
    crank easily. I added some distilled water,which seemed to help alittle,but still
    wasn't 100% as it should be.

I've decided to replace the battery just to be safe and Not want to be stranded
    somewhere during hot summer day in So Cal. First I called Infiniti dealer for a
    cost on a replacement battery. He was very nice to tell me that battery still might
    be under factory warranty. It is prorated, so I paid 75% and Infiniti paid 25%. My
    portion was $ 74.25 plus tax, with installation.

I think for a factory battery and I didn't have to spend my time replacing it, it was
    a satisfactory experience.

If your car is still under warranty and you need a battery replacement, don't forget
    it will be covered-prorated. :)
  • Options
    imkramerimkramer Member Posts: 26
    Does anyone know where I can purchase basic replacement engine Air Filters for a 2007 G35 Sedan?

In the stores, somehow the parts books all have the wrong size filter listed (11"x6.625"). The correct dimensions of the filter are actually 7.125 x 6.625. And there are two of them of course (dual intake).

I've been to and called a bunch of stores including AutoZone, Advanced Auto Parts, Pep Boys, Tires Plus and even looked online. Everyone who worked in these stores was stumped when I asked them for help. Many tried to cross reference the OEM part # but had little luck. The only filter they or I could come up with is a lifetime washable K&N High-Flow for around $50 each.

I called the parts department at the Infiniti dealership and they want $32 each. I just want to find a basic disposable Fram/Purelator/Some-other-brand air filer that costs the typical $8-$12 dollars.

Any help is appreciated.
  • Options
    athensathens Member Posts: 25
    I discovered rust spots coming from the inside of the metal out -i.e. below the pain surface- (no paint damage) in the exact same spot on BOTH the left and right the real wheel arches of my 2003 G35 coupe. I believe I saw orange discoloring this past fall but I could not in my wildest dreams imagine corrosion on a 5 year old car which I bought new.

A body restoration shop has pinpointed the issue to spot welds on either side of the car where rear quarter panels meet side panel of body. They found a bulge in the body panel where one piece of steel is sandwiched (by spot welds and caulk) onto the other. The bulge has cracked the caulk on the inside of the seam. They state that until they get in there with a sand blaster they cannot be certain of the condition. Yet they would bet there already are small holes caused by corrosion in the area of the suspect spot welds.

Now waiting to hear back from District Warranty Rep.
  • Options
    luckylockyluckylocky Member Posts: 3
    Has anybody bought the Schedule 1 maintenance for how much? Is it worth it to pay up front and save any money versus just paying for the maintenance as you go. Isn't it cheaper to get your own oil change and tire rotation? Then bring it to dealer for the major service interval like 15k, 30k, and 60k.
  • Options
    1nickatnite11nickatnite1 Member Posts: 16
    I think this depends on how you are. I personally purchased the Elite 2, (every 7500 miles), because I will be driving my car a lot for work and won't have time to be doing the maintenance myself. I want the piece of mind of having an Infiniti mechanic working on my car and just in case I have warranty claims in the future. But remember that these prepaid maintenance prices are ALL negotiable. I got mines for $1400 and that includes the tire and wheel protection, which I read somewhere would cost ~$500 by itself, and it covers the major, and pricey, 30k and 60k maintenance. Now that I think about I probably could have gotten it another hundred or two hundred bucks lower so learn from my mistake and try to get it for as cheap as you can.

Nick
  • Options
    camfam4camfam4 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 G35 sedan, just started slow cranking and decided to change the battery.

Which battery should I buy and what tool do I use to get the cover off the top of the battery?

Mike
  • Options
    guitarman6guitarman6 Member Posts: 2
    I just purchased a G35 coupe, and I love the car. It has a front end noise, at speeds of 40mph and less. Hwy driving is perfect. Its not brakes. The dealer said the front tires have a little cupping, and they should be replaced, at 235.00 a peice. I feel it could be a front wheel bearing. They say no. Who do I believe. I have 38,000 miles on car.
  • Options
    johninnjjohninnj Member Posts: 243
    Wheel bearing would prob get worse as speed increased...although the frequency would increase...so it might be less noticeable. Know anyone else with a 5 bolt nissan? Bolt two donuts (theirs and yours) on the front end and take it for a spin.
  • Options
    guitarman6guitarman6 Member Posts: 2
    Thx for the information, that would tell me if it was a tire isssue.