Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

1999 Chevrolet Silverado

Comments

• dave40dave40 Member Posts: 582
    Bad news from CANADA ! Just heard Frames made by the DANA corporation in READING PA. moved the operation to CANADA sometime recently and they screwed the frames up! I think we will be waiting longer then expected. HANG IN THERE DUDES I KNOW HOW YOU FEEL! :(
  • bernie51bernie51 Member Posts: 10
    Just love this Truck website thing. Never was so interested in the computer but this sort of info is EXACTLY what I was looking for and I've read every question/answer to the new Silverado, some of them twice. Anyway has anyone sampled the 2500 with the 6L engine yet? I am very curious about the milage. Especially with the 5sp Manual. Also curious about anyones experience with the Auto-Trac option.
  • fish6fish6 Member Posts: 50
    QUESTION.....DO THE BIGGER TIRES REQUIRED FOR THE Z71 MAKE MORE ROAD NOISE OR DECREASE MPG COMPARED TO THE P245s????????????
  • jxyoungjxyoung Member Posts: 156
    RichinKs:

I have seen probably between 50 and 100 new Silverado's at numerous dealers and have yet to see a LT?? Not saying they are not building them but I have not seen one yet, and I have seen a large number of trucks?

The Z71 does not require larger tires but when you chose that option it lets you add the larger tires if you like. The only thing I do not like about the 265 tires is they are Firestone Wilderness AT tires with no grip to them whatsoever?? Go figure
    a 4W Drive with big tires that have no grips???
    I would assume that these tires make no more noise that your automobile, as they look very much like a passenger car tire??? Maybe if Chevy gets a few complaints they will change the tries before they build ours, that is if they care about what the customer wants? The trucks I have seen show the same mileage for all the tires.

I live in Louisiana and the heated mirrors would probably just dry up the dew in the am. I would have liked them for the self dimming feature?? Got along without them for the last 37 years and probably will for the rest?
  • zonk1zonk1 Member Posts: 37
    My truck is an LS Z71 ext cab short bed with 5.3L, G80/3.73, Auto-trac, 265/75 tires. I'm EXTREMELY happy with the truck! I've checked gas mileage twice. 15.6 city and 17.2 hwy at 75mph. Haven't towed anything yet but I tried the tow\haul mode anyway. Shifts are much crisper and at higher rpm's as described. The Firestones are basically street tires so if you do a LOT of offroad you probably don't want them. Overall quality of the truck is very good. Everything lines up good, is in it's place and tight. I've read where the Ford's are supposed to be better ergonomically, but I don't see how. Everything is right at your fingertips and the bucket seats feel like they should be in the living room! Did I mention that I really like this truck! The dealer said that there's something about the way the truck is secured in transit that the front end can go out of alignment. He told me to bring it in between 500 and 7500 miles for an alignment and GM will pay for it. Don't ya'll miss out on that one.
  • RichinKsRichinKs Member Posts: 412
    jxyoung, The LT is listed as restricted on the Assembly schedule web site. I am not sure what that means. I assume they are making some or they would have it listed as hold. The salesman last week told me if I ordered now it could be April before I would see it. I have seen some LS's with all the bells and whistles of a LT, but the one difference I know of is LT's and LS's don't have the same leather bucket seats. Also I'm wanting a 3/4 ton 4x4.
  • Liana_michelleLiana_michelle Member Posts: 10
    I live in TX and I was up at my grandparents in a small town in west TX. I was lookin' through the paper and I saw a picture of the 1999 Cevy Silverado. It wasn't the picture that caught my eye though, it was the price next to it
    -- $13,995 --
    It was a regular cab 2 wheel drive. I'm assuming for the price it had a 4.3 in it. Does anyone know if the dealer might be hiding something or what the catch might be? I read into the fine print and it said silverado and didn't say anything about 'limited selection' or anything like that. I immediately came here to Edmunds' and the base price I looked up here was $17,000. Anyone got any ideas?
    Pick up your telephone and call the dealer and ask him the price of the truck!
  • wally8wally8 Member Posts: 5
    Received my 1500 short bed extended cab 4x4 LS 5300 w/3.73 (black)on 12/1 (ordered 9/2 and built 11/12). Before ordering, I parked a brand new comparable Dodge side by side with the Silverado. Do so and you'll agree THERE IS NO COMPARISON. Even my (jelous) buddy with the new Dodge agrees. Basically, I got every option except leather and autotrac. Was second guessing not ordering the autotrac, and when the truck arrived they had mistakenly installed it (at no charge to me). I'll tell you how I like it after we get some snow, but me wife will appreciate it. Messing with it now, the engagement is crisp and silent even at highway speeds. When in tow/haul mode, the rear wheels chirp when upshifting from first to second. Fit and finish are superb, and I have found no flaws that are unacceptable. I thought lack of a fourth door would bug me more, but with the drivers seat jumping forward when you release it, it is not bad for entry or storing stuff. It was definately worth the wait. Be patient and don't compromise.
    I CALLED GM TODAY TO CHECK ON THE PROGRESS OF MY TRUCK THAT IS BEING BUILT. IT HAD A BUILD DATE OF NOV. 30, SO I THOUGHT IT WOULD HAVE BEEN BUILT LAST WEEK. TODAY THIS GUY AT GM TELLS ME HE CAN'T TELL ME FOR SURE IF MY BUILD DATE WAS DELAYED OR NOT, IF THE TRUCK WAS BUILT, OR NOT. WHAT'S THE DEAL? IS THIS GENERAL MOTORS WAY OF TELLING ME IT WASN'T BUILT? THEY MUST KNOW THE STATUS OF THE TRUCK! WHY WOULD THEY SO THEY DON'T KNOW?????????
    I ordered a club-cab, 4x4, LS. Maybe I should call them again and get more info??????????
    I just did call them back and they could not confirm that it was built, but their records show that there are no posted delays. Do you think this means it was built??? They told me to call back at the end of the weeks.
    My 2500 SEIRRA delayed for the 4th time! last build date was today DEC.7th NEW BUILD DATE WEEK of JANUARY 4th I wonder if GMC will give me the MARKETING OPTION PACKAGE.code#1SZ This discount was not available before January 1999 . it was listed on my printout the dealer gave me when I ordered the pucking truck back in August ps. HEY FISH GOOD LUCK GETTING YOUR TRUCK THIS MONTH it don't look to good.
  • jmwtxjmwtx Member Posts: 4
    Any comments from anyone who has bought or test driven the Siverado 1500 with the standard 4.3 V6? Is this enough engine for this truck (no towing plan, and only light hauling).
  • DavyddDavydd Member Posts: 121
    I've ordered my Silverado and I got up off my rear end and visited a dealer instead of waiting for a brochure. I won't be visiting Ford message boards and second guessing my decision as matt24 is evidently doing after buying his "floater".
    GOOD THINGS COME TO HE WHO WAITS. VORTEC 6000
    I don't know about the waiting. Visited my dealer this afternoon about the xcab swb 4x4 3/4 ton LT. Worked up a deal and I was a little shocked. The offer for my 97 Z71 was over a couple of thousand below the trade in value at Kelly Bluebook site for good rating. And my truck is better than good. Tires are showing a little wear, but plenty of miles left on them. Everything else is excellent. How do others feel about the trade in value at the Kelly site? Then on top of that his first offer to a customer who has bought 4 trucks from the dealership, two from this salesman, was invoice plus $1000. I felt insulted as we were over $3000 dollars apart. It seems because 3/4 are scarce (non-existant) the salesmanger feels he can charge a premium. Thats the same they were doing with the 1/2 tons when they first came out. Somehow I feel had when Chevy causes the shortage and then soaks me for their mistakes. Anyhow he came down some but it left a bad taste that they would start negoiations with a supposed valued customer like this. And were still a couple of thousand apart. ..... Am going to another dealer tomorrow who sells Chevy's and Ford's. I have not seen a Super Duty yet and I guess I should just to feel I've covered all the bases. Probably my luck Super Duties aren't in stock to look at. ..... Rich
    Very seldom ever seen a trade work out to the sellers advantage! Why not try to sell it outright? You should be able to get better than trade then?? It isn't like these trucks do not have a good resale value!
    Oh, and on Ford trucks! Have one at work and had one in the past and owned GM products for the past
    10 years and have no plans to go back any time soon! I will wait for what I consider to be a superior truck??? Maybe it is maybe it is not, I will make that decision after owning it? It will take some convincing after my last experiences with fords. Not saying that they are not good but my luck I guess, is bad and I am not willing to try it again right now with Ford.

Good luck, to the guys that did not want to wait but I'll hold off for now.
    I used to sell my vehicles myself and did better than trade. But I've had to put up with a few that I just don't want the hassle anymore. I'm willing to give up that premium for the piece of mind. But that doesn't mean I want to give it away. When I bought this 97 Z71 I traded in a 94 full size blazer and this same saleman and I did not see eye to eye to start but we weren't a thousand apart and we made a deal. Being over 3000 apart makes negotiations deficult. As a side note, when I bought the 94 Blazer I traded in a 84 Dodge ramcharger. I did alot of work on that SUV and didn't get nothing for it. Thats when I decided trading every 36K was not any cheaper, but I'm not sure its much more expensive and I'm always driving a fairly new vehicle. And I don't have to rebuild engines anymore. I've got new hobbies. Oh, and on the Ford trucks, I'm just looking like I did last week at the Dodges. Probably won't, but I want to know all my options. Rich
  • BrutusBrutus Member Posts: 1,113
    Dealers usually pay about 30% below blue book trade-in prices. The only time I've seen someone get the amount indicated in the blue books is if the dealer makes it up on the other side of the transaction (the purchase of the new vehicle). Dealers are looking for a net figure. If a dealer is willing to sell a vehicle for $1,000 over dealer invoice, but is able to get you to pay $3,000 over invoice, he will be more willing to pay you an additional $2,000 on your trade-in. If you're trying to pay close to invoice for the new vehicle, it will be very hard to get a price for the trade-in that you will find satisfactory.
  • cdeancdean Member Posts: 1,110
    Brutus is right about the price haggling. I'm sorry to hear your problems Rich, but supply and demand is going to make it hard for you to get a better price. right now, there are people out there willing to pay more than a $1000 over invoice, so until GM can catch up production wise, its going to be tough for anyone who wants a Chevy right now.
  • stanfordstanford Member Posts: 606
    Also, having a new model come out is the worst thing that can happen to your trade in value. I know I paid for that when my '93 F350 was sold.
    I hear what your saying, and I did not do my research properly before visiting with the dealer. I understood the new truck pricing but only looked at the Kelly Blue book site for the value of my truck. The trade-in price listed there is explained in their FAQ area. Trade-in price is wholesale MINUS the dealers cost of preparing the truck for resale. And if accurate, they were saying it would cost them 2000 more than average to prepare mine for sale. I also looked at the sites price of what I could expect to see my truck listed for on their lot. It was about 4000 more than what the dealer told me he would be able to list it for. This kind of rubbed me the wrong way. But this morning I have looked at Edmonds and CARPRICES for their values and lo and behold their values are more in line with what the dealer offered. I also checked Sundays wantads and found two listed that also are simaler to what the dealer said he would ask. So now I am finding the Kelly Blue Book site suspect. Also the dealer came down right away in our coversation from $1000 over invoice to $500. So we maybe much closer in price than what I thought. The $3000 difference of first offer may infact be more like $800 apart. After lunch I am visiting with a Ford SD saleman. He of course does not have a v10 on the lot, but does have a PS 4x4 supercab to see. One thing he said 6-8 weeks to order a v10 SD but I though Ford had simaler problems to Chevy. Will then visit with a Chevy Salesman at the same lot. I find new vehicle looking both exhilarating and frustrating. (G) Rich
    I ordered my '99 Silverado on Sept. 29 for $200 over invoice. Very fair I think! But I ended up selling my other truck because of the difference in trade-in value compared to retail value. I sold it for $1500 more than I was offered in trade. It worked out alright for me.
    Rich,

It all depends on the dealer as far as the time it takes to get your order. Ford still can't crank out the new SD as quick as they are being ordered, but they don't have all that many delays anymore based on options, and they do appear to be closing the gap between supply and demand. If you can find a dealer who doesn't have many trucks on order, there is a good chance you can get your truck in 6-8 weeks.

A good comparison is between Stanford's order and my order. We both live in the same area and ordered almost identical trucks. Mine is a Supercab and he has the Crew Cab. I ordered from an out-of-state dealer for $99 below invoice. My dealer was way over allotment, so the average wait on an order at his dealership was about 16 weeks. He had about 20 orders and was only getting 1-2 trucks per week. Stanford did some shopping locally and had his highest priority placed on delivery time. He paid more than I did, but still got a very good price. He got his truck in less than six weeks if I'm not mistaken.

There are dealers out there who can get you these trucks pretty quick and won't rake you over the coals on the price. If you get a killer deal, make sure to ask lots of questions about how many orders the dealer currently has waiting vs how many trucks he is getting per week.

Most of us have gone through the emotions when it comes to trade-ins. For me, the answer was to sell my old truck myself. The market value of my truck was listed at about $11,000. The trade-in was about $8,000. The dealer offered $5,500. I placed a 10 day ad for $100 and sold it for $8,500. I took the first offer over the trade-in value.

The Kelley Blue Book values are an average. They don't take into account what you are paying for the new vehicle. If the average customer pays close to MSRP for their vehicle, that would likely drive the average trade-in value up since dealers are willing to give people more for their vehicle because they are making it up on the sale of the new vehicle. If you're an invoice buyer, they can only pay you what they think your trade is worth to them.
  • bdonbdon Member Posts: 30
    wally8,

Tell me a little more about getting to the backseat from the driver's side. A local dealer let me take a new truck home a couple of weeks ago. I too was/am worried about the lack of the 4th door. And it seemed to me that it was exceedingly difficult to get to the backseat from the driver's side (even to put grocery sacks or whatever back there).

The one I took home did have the 6-way power seats, so the seat base didn't slide when the seat back was flipped forward. Does the seat base on your truck slide forward? Do you have power or manual seats? I'm just trying to figure out what might be different between yours and the one I drove.

Thanks,
    bdon
  • asdf1asdf1 Member Posts: 4
    I see a lot of postings recentely are related
    to ordering. I am really upset about GM's slow
    truck production. We are here lining up to pay
    big bucks for their high profit margin trucks.
    And yet, they dont want to build.
    WAKE UP GM Execs!! Do loose any more customers. May be Ford has successfully infiltrated into GM's managemnet.
    Another factor you need to look at with trade ins vs. selling an auto yourself is the sales tax. In Minnesota you deduct the trade in and pay sales tax for the new truck based on the difference. For example, if you are buying a $30,000 truck with a $15,000 trade in you pay sales tax on the $15,000 difference. Minnesota's 6.5% sales tax on $15,000 is $975. That puts you that much closer to what you might sell it yourself.
    The non-powered LS seats slide forward easily and there is little trouble in loading tool boxes, groceries or having wide body adults climb in from the driver's side.
    Davydd, good point. For me that would be $1120 if I take the deal at this point. ...... Heard something today from I think a reliable source, but I'm having trouble believing. On the 99 chevy truck engines, they are set up so if you loose coolant, they run on one sides bank of pistons until it starts to get hot and then switches to the other bank. I am having trouble believing the side thats not firing would cool as fast as the side thats firing is heating up. Don't see anything on this in the brocheres. .... By the way, saw the Ford Superduty today, and it does have some fine features, but the Chevy is still winning for the features I prefer. To bad we cann't each build our own truck stealing parts from each of the major trucks! What a cluge. Rich
  • wally8wally8 Member Posts: 5
    bdon:

I have the bench seats (not power), and there is a lever on the drivers side that tilts the seat forward and slides it all the way up - called "jump". The seat returns to its original position when pushed back. The same lever on the passenger side only tilts the seat forward. To be honest, it's less hassle using this feature than walking around the truck to open the third door unless I'm loading adult rear-seat passengers. My kids don't have a preference which side they enter/exit, but they do love the rear seat. Chevy paid alot of attention to the rear seat passengers. By the way, the bench seats are identical to the buckets absent the center console. I believe the armrest with the bench beats the console with the buckets.
  • cdeancdean Member Posts: 1,110
    Rich
    This is how the coolant loss system works. The computer cuts off alternating pistons. The pistons not firing act as airpumps, cooling the other pistons that are firing. The computer doesn't let the same pistons do the firing at all times. It switches whichever pistons were firing with the ones that weren't firing. with fuel injection for each cylinder controlled by a computer, it is rather easy to implement this system.

There is NO WAY an engine could last more than a minute or two if one bank was firing and the other one wasn't. There is no way that one bank could cool off the other bank. The air pumping pistons have to be side by side with a firing piston. Other wise, the engine would burn up. plus the engine would be so off balanced by running on one bank, i doubt it could run at all, much less have any power to get anywhere. it would take some alternating combination of the firing order for the engine to even have a chance to run. Your source is wrong. don't worry, chevy did they homework.
    The Superduty has a feature on their new cooling system that sounds very similar to what you are talking about. The intent of the feature is to hopefully get you that extra mile or two up the road to the next exit, rather than having to pull over immediately for fear that you will destroy your engine. The truck will supposedly shut off after the cooling system has done everything it can to keep the engine in a safe operating zone. If you have a busted radiator, you're not going far. This feature is only intended to get you a little farther without damaging your engine.
    Hows that new VORTEC 5.3 compare to the old 5.7 ?
    Like to hear some comments from new 1999 owners !
    how obout them new brakes any good?
    SIERRA is back in
    production again! The
    latest stoppage,see
    DECEMBER 7th issue THE AUTO
    NEWS, Stated that SIERRA
    production halted due to
    flaws in the sheet metal
    stamps that produced hoods
    and bumpers for the SIERRA.
    There was no flaw in the
    design of the CHEVY so they
    built more CHEVYS instead.
    CALIFORNIA residents hit
    with another delay due to
    EMISSION SYSTEM PROBLEMS.
    Struck a deal today. Got within a few hundred of where I wanted to be and surendered. No allocation available. Salesman did not want a deposite. He said he would call when he has an allocation and I can make a deposite then. Also I could make any changes I want as long as its a 3/4 ton. I guess what they do is get an allocation for a 3/4 ton and then he can change its configuration to match mine. Start counting the days! Ordered a 3/4 ton LT (saw an LT at another dealer Tuesday) 4x4 , 4.10 rearend , towing package, firm ride , skid plates, automatic , bucket seats , solid paint , camper/fifth wheel wiring, all-season tires. sunset gold exterior and light oak leather interior. Rich
  • mtebbenmtebben Member Posts: 16
    To Dave40:

Where do I find a copy of "The Auto News". I looked for it on the WEB but didn't find it. I'm highly interested in the CA emission problem.

Thanks,
    Michael
    On the tax savings from trading in your vehicle.
    Every dealer I have ever discussed this with will do what is called a (courtesy trade), if you sell the vehicle yourself. What it amounts to is they do the paperwork and they do this at usually no cost and give you credit for the sale like it was a trade. You get the best of both worlds this way!
    Not sure where you can find AUTO NEWS somebody sent me e-mail message.I would like to find it to.
  • shoozshooz Member Posts: 27
    To: RichinKs Congrats! Good choice! Sounds like you got the right vehicle at the right price. The Gold with the 'Medium Oak' leather is a good choice. Now it's just a matter of patience, but, heck might as well enjoy the anticipation!
    Now without a deposit how does a handshake obligate the Dealer? I think I'd be worried that no contract is in place. Do you place that much faith on their word? If you do maybe I ought to be doing business with them too. Perhaps nice folks like that are still doing business in the U.S.A. Let me know if they make good on their word.
    Shooz, we all I think are a little sceptical of dealerships. This is my fifth vehicle from this dealer. The third in a row. I have been very pleased so far both with sales and service. The sales guy I deal with is low keyed and no pressure. Still, they are out to make a buck, but so far I've had no problem with their word. I have no price protection, but even with a deposite they would not have garunteed a price. It can change until the order is placed with Chevy and then the plant will give them price protection. An then they will give me price protection. He did not seem very optimistic about a quick allocation. I have never had to take a vehicle back twice for the same problem, and only once have I had to go back because they had to order a part. But I have not had too many problems with my Chevy's. Another dealer I visited gave me the 8-10 weeks delivery routine. I did not trust that. I've heard that story before and then "well it will be another 2 weeks because......" Price protection would have been nice, but I think I got a good enough deal they couldn't have afforded the risk. But I am betting there will be no price changes. I am more concerned about my truck. They are basing the tradein on a April 1 delivery. God is that a long time! Rich
  • markbuckmarkbuck Member Posts: 1,021
    My 1/2 ton Silverado, Regular Cab, long bed, base trim, 4.8L, 5speed, 4:10 G80, got allocated on Tuesday of this week. Any guesses as to when I will get a build date?

jxyoung - courtesy trade? Sounds unethical, if not illegal. Lets not slip to Clinton's level of morals..... If you can afford a new vehicle, you ought to pay the taxes on it.

Drove a 5.3L auto autotrack (spelling?) reg cab last weekend in 6 inches of snow and ice. Set up a little autocross course in an abandoned parking lot.
    BEST ice and snow performance of any vehicle I have ever driven. I was very impressed with the autotrack. Was almost seemless. Under hard acceleration, the rear end would pitch out and then the front end would engage and I'd go rallying around the turn. In 4x4 mode, seemed to maybe push a little more but this could just be in my mind. Antilock brakes are wonderfull on glare ice, going downhill.........pedal feels like a sewing machine pulsation at around 5 to 10 hertz frequency.
  • jmathewsjmathews Member Posts: 7
    Dave40
    California Emission Problems

The emission problem was fixed on Sierras to be send to california. The vehicles were making a noised related to the emission system that the engineers found unacceptable. No problems with the emission control themselves. As far as the Auto News goes, it is a trade publication that mose of the dealers subscribe to. I also looked for it on the internet and could not find it. My dealer read me the article over the telephone. Personally, my lastest build week is 12/14. The dealer stated that GM is working overtime to get these trucks shipped before the Christmas shut-dowm. I'll update you when I know the truck is in transit.
  • bdonbdon Member Posts: 30
    wally8,

Thanks for the info. I went to a dealer last night to see for myself and you are exactly right. Both the non-power buckets and the 40/20/40 bench offer ample access to the back seat from the driver's side. It's enough of a difference for me that I'll skip the 6-way power seats and go with the manual. Thanks again!
  • mtebbenmtebben Member Posts: 16
    Its funny I posted a message last night but I don't see it hear. Excuse me if it shows up twice.

I went to my CA dealer and he informed that he is not aware of any emissions hold for CA Silverados. However, I think dealers are the last to know. I hope it isn't true.

Also, I asked the dealer about the tax break associated with trading in a vehicel. He stated that the vehicle is taxed on its selling price, not the difference. A while back they would only tax you on the difference between trade in and selling price but he told me the IRS cracked down on them. They no longer do it. This is in CA., maybe its different in other states. I would be curios to hear if anyone if CA. was able to work this deal.
    Markbuck,

A courtesy trade is no more illegal than you trading in the vehicle and the dealer selling the vehicle. In this case you have a buyer for the dealer and he doesn't have to find one. You already paid tax on that vehicle why should you pay tax on that money again?? Some states have changed the laws so that they can tax you twice on the same money. I pay enough taxes already and will save my tax $ when I legally can!
  • wxfcstrwxfcstr Member Posts: 18
    jmathews: I too have a build date for a GMC the week of 12/14. The salesman is going to check on Fri (12/11) to see if there has been any slipage due to the Sierra production problems.

In our conversation, my salesman told me that they were first told GMC production would be stopped for 3 months due to the bad stamps. Fortunately, GM got there act together and fixed the problem right away. Who knows, maybe it was an omen to wait until the 2000 model appears and hope for the 4 door. I'll let you know my revised(?) build status when I hear something.
    I asked my saleman as I don't trust my memory. But in Kansas you are only taxed on the difference. So at 5.9% I will save $1150 . That makes me feel even better about trading it in as I think it would be difficult selling it for more than $1150 more than the dealer is giving me plus I don't have any worries. ...... Rich
    1999 Black Silverado LS ordered 9-26-98.....

Build date Nov. 30th............

Delayed..................

Build date???????????????????

This stinks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
This discussion has been closed.