Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Infiniti G37 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• vik_kidvik_kid Member Posts: 22
    Did you get just the prem + Nav, or do you have other "options" you havnt mentioned...like the splash guards, cargo net for egs... the reason I ask is that I was given a quote with a markup of $170 over the invoice price(acc to edmunds). Just Prm + Nav should invoice just $35422, so if you were quoted $35900, then you prolly have another couple hundred bucks to go.
    Now on a totally different side, I am also thinking about the cadillac CTS. Cadillac has a few offers going on and I believe I should get the options that I want for a fairly similar price.... I am not sure how the cadi runs compared to the infi, but I sure would like to give it a shot.
  • wmaungwmaung Member Posts: 11
    Thanks Dennis..
    Hi Vik_Kid,
    It's was just Prem+ Nav pkgs total 35900. Late I called him and asking which accessories will be included. He told me cargo net and splash guards will be with the price but not included wood trim. I like pearl with black interior brushed aluminum is not in his inventory. I don't know it's good deal or not but I will go Sat and see. They are really aggressive and push to customers to get right away. someone mentioned that Ray Catena didn't make great deal. My rep asking me to put deposit make sure buy now or later.... any advise?.. I don't think will interested in CTS. it's look nice, but in long run, I better choose [non-permissible content removed] cars... I also think about Benz C300, after research and talked with my other friends, they recommend infiniti or Luxes.
    Regards
  • kman1311kman1311 Member Posts: 4
    Waltaz and ymmv,
    Let us know how your Az G deals go. I am also in the initial stages with Pinnacle and Superstition Springs Infiniti on a journey with the sport and premium package. So far I have not seen much movement in price with either one.

How long will it take for the car that you ordered to arrive? I am not finding many Journey's with sport and premium. They all seem to have the navigation package as well.
  • straightdopestraightdope Member Posts: 62
    G35 Journey w/ Premium Package
    Per Consumer Reports:
    Actual Dealer Cost=$31,450 NOT $32,579
    (You forgot to subtract the holdback of $910 from the invoice). So they're 'giving' you $1500 over invoice--a 5% profit on the car.

Always ignore any price on the sticker--which you rightfully did with the dealer add-ons. Assuming these flaps and tints really are "extras", and if your valuation of them at $300 is accurate, then your true dealer cost is $31,750.
    . Since they were happy to take $600 over their false invoice, offer them their true dealer cost plus $600 for a final offer of $32,350.
    NOTE: Infinity sales are down 22% from last year and we are in a recession--hence the 2.9% incentive rate from HQ. They'll take 3% profit.
  • dwynnedwynne Member Posts: 4,018
    Most dealers do not deal into the hold back, unless they are really desperate to move a car. I don't think Infiniti dealers are quite that desperate yet, no matter what CR says (BTW, I like CR but I can't figure out why folks pay for their "info" when you can get it free elsewhere).

For the record, Infiniti sales were up 4.5% for calendar year 2007 over 2006, with the G sedan up a whopping 33.4%. for the year. For the single month of January 08 the sedan was down 22% compared to Jan 07, but coupes were up 101.4% for the month. Infiniti overall was down for that one month by 3.6%. The 22% "drop" for Jan is more a feature of the sedan being new last year, if you compare Jan 07 with Jan 06 sales were up 71% for Jan 07. If you compare Jan 08 VS Jan 06, sales in 08 were up 39%. So the 07 Jan number is the "fluke" and the Jan 08 number is not that bad.

We are also not in a recession, since a recession is a decline for 3 straight quarters.

Dennis
    Dwynne,
    Agree with your statement except that dealers will indeed deal into holdback, its part of their profit. So, the proper analysis of a "deal" is the profit on the final price before taxes. Five percent profit is consider fair or average; 2% is a steal for the buyer, 8% is a gift for the dealer".
    Here's the formula for true dealer cost:
    Dealer Invoice Price
    subtract Holdback ($910 Infinity) & Rebates (none for Infninty)
    add Destination ($715 Infinity)
    Total is Dealer Cost

ALWAYS IGNORE THE MSRP OR STICKER PRICE.
  • allbizallbiz Member Posts: 11
    Ok, I need some serious advice here....I am looking at an infiniti 2008 G35X with Prem, Nav and tech. Dealer said the best price is 38.8K, MSRP is 40.6K. I was hoping to get closer to the 37K, any advice on this one? Should I hold out for a better price? What should I be buying this for?

thanks in advance for all the help!
    Yes, please share with me the dealers who will do $1K under invoice. I am looking for a G35X prem, nav and tech packages. MSRP is 40.5K.

thanks,

You can email me here: jballbiz1@yahoo.com
    Dwynne,

Consumer Reports didn't say Infinity dealers are desperate, nor did I. The implication is that sales are slowing and dealers will 'deal into holdback'.

Sales of Infinity G Sedans are down 22% from Jan 2007 to Jan 2008, month over month after declining a whopping 31% in December 2007 compared to December 2006, so is that a double fluke?. G sedans are also down 25% from just last month, Dec 2008 (though sales comparisons to the huge retail month of December can be dubious.)
    Yes, total Infinity sales were up 4.5% for 2007, yet they are down 3.6% already in January and were down 3.5% in December 07. So sales of both the G Sedans and the entire Infinity Division are down for the second straight month. And now they are offering 2.9% financing rate because cars are flying off the lot? Rather, sales are slowing.
    I went to two dealers last weekend, saw plenty of new G35 Sedans and saw only two other buyers on the Infinity lots (both looking at SUVs).

An internet sales manager just offered me a G35 Journey w/sunroof for $31,070 which is "into holdback"--a 2.9% profit for the dealer.

GDP growth was only 0.6% last quarter and many, if not most, economists think we are already in a recession. We won't know if we're in a recession until after the fact.

I used CR b/c I have found their figures to be accurate and they list the holdback. If you could tell me where I can this information for free, that would be appreciated.

Thank you.
  • relaterrelater Member Posts: 1
    2008 G35X, Premium, Navigation, Technology, Splash Guards, Cargo Net, Black on Black.

36,610 +299 Conveyance fee +110 registration + Taxes

Hartford, CT....$700 below the VPP deal and I think right around invoice.

I'm happy, car is fantastic!
    What is invoice? You want to be within $500 of invoice cost when you include the car, destination, and dealer fee.

Dennis
    They can't, since no Infiniti dealer will give you that price w/o dealer money on it - or unless you wait until the next model year cars are out.

Dennis
    Edmunds shows dealer incentives and hold back - for free.

Edmunds, kbb, carsdirect.com, and many more sites have the invoice - for free.

No need to pay CR for this info, though I am a long time subscriber I think their "car buying" thing is simply a rip off.

It does not matter what you figure the dealer's true cost or actual net profit is if you can't get a dealer to sell you the car for that price. For most dealers, hold back is "sacred" and they will not deal down into it unless they just are desperate to move the car involved. Now, some high value dealers of less expensive cars will deal into hold back routinely - that is just how they deal with Internet buyers.

Dennis
    Invoice on what you list is $37,245 so your price with the fee was $36,909 which is $336 under invoice. Note that the new invoice price includes the recent price increase from Infiniti that was announced in January, if your car was built prior to the price increase then your invoice and MSRP are lower.

If no trade in, that is a very nice price.

Dennis
  • n3tton3tto Member Posts: 13
    "We are also not in a recession, since a recession is a decline for 3 straight quarters."

Dennis,
    I believe a recession is 2 quarters of economic contraction. Just splitting hairs, no biggie.

"Jan 08 number is not that bad"

I agree. Combined with the great financing rate means dealers are less anxious about sales. Hence their unwillingness to deal. I drove 500 miles round trip to save appx $500. I also did it because I liked the dealer's service.
    Ok your price of 35900 a destination fee of 715? What was the out the door price given to you- ie Final Selling price(with all accessories) + Sales Tax + other charges(incl tire tax etc).. If your 35900 is before destination then you are paying $2023 more than invoice($33877), if its 35900 including destination then you are paying $1308 more than invoice. It looks like people are paying invoice price nowadays, if not BELOW inv price... I contacted the internet mngr at Douglas infinity who has told me that he will deal a couple of hundred below invoice... yet to check it out, so dont know if there any hidden fees involved, will let you know... but really, I dont think we should be paying more a few hundred $ above invoice in today's economy.... I think you can do much better....
    I have a few questions and would appreciate if someone could answer them here:

In today's market, is it reasonable to expect to buy AT(+/- 200) invoice price? Is it true in places like NJ?
    Apart from accessory prices, what makes up the 'TAG' part of the pricing?
    If a dealer is willing to deal a couple hundred below invoice, can I expect him to pull a fast one on me(like force me to buy add-ons etc) if so where and what should I watch out for?
    Has anybody found dealers in NJ who deal at or below invoice?
    Great info guys keep it up. I might be asking a question which you are trying to answer, but just put it more squarely,- can I expect to deal at(+/- 200) invoice in todays climate, or is it asking for too much? Also, I saw dwynne say that one has to be $500+invoice on the car + destination + dealer fee, wouldnt that mean the car would bellow invoice? On an average how much would the dealer fee and destination be?
    I have seen a recession described both as 2 and 3 consecutive quarters, so we are equally correct - or equally wrong :D .

A recession is a "stupid thing" since it is driven by consumer spending and other than the sub-prime folks that got zapped by their ARMs things are generally pretty good. But if the media keep talking recession and folks hearing that BELIEVE it then we WILL have a recession. If everyone focused on what is going right then I feel things should be fine. If the car companies sense buyers are waiting for better times then deal will probably get even better.

Note that I know a few folks that already got great deals on pre-foreclosed houses they picked up on the cheap. Sure it can make them feel like a "vulture" or something, but the banks were going to take the houses back in any case. This way the previous mortgage holder does not screw up their credit. So while the "downturn" may be hurting those that were sub-prime, but it does help others get into a nice house for a nice price.

My local dealer charges $500 for a doc fee and jacks up the MF on leases, so I drove about 320 miles round trip to get my G37 from a dealer with no doc fee and no markups.

It is often well worth dealer shopping before you even start car shopping.

Dennis
    To me and most here, the "invoice" price of the car includes the destination charge. So if someone says "I paid $100 over invoice" that SHOULD mean they paid the invoice price including destination charge + $100.

What they often leave out is the dealer doc or prep fees that they had to pay. With some high line dealers (like Infiniti) charging $500 or more for unnecessary fees you HAVE to include the fees when you post what you paid or were offered. If someone paid "$100 under invoice" for the car and $600 for the dealer fees then they really paid $500 over invoice. Similarly, if they have a trade in and were paid under book value on the trade they can't really claim they got a "great price on the new car" since without the trade in they probably would not have been able to get such a good price. Also folks will buy a bunch of (overpriced) accessories and/or maintenance/warranty plans from a dealer when they buy the car and then claim they got a "super deal". Probably not, since they let the dealer make more money on the accessories and warranty/maintenance the dealer could afford to give them a new car price that APPEARS outstanding.

So I would first look for a dealer with little or no fees and no accessories added onto the car. The look up invoice price, including destination, for the car you want. You will want to try to pay no more than that number + $500 for the car, destination, and dealer fee.

If you live in an area, like SoCal, that has a lot of dealers in a small area you may be able to buy at or under invoice. Here, were dealers are spread out far and wide, there is just not much way to make them deal much one against the other. Similarly, if you are looking for a car that the dealer has lots of you may can do better, if you are after the only 6mt sedan in the state then you may not be able to do as well. Looking at a G35x in winter may cost more than if you wait until the snow is well gone from where you live.

Dennis
    An internet sales manager just offered me a G35 Journey w/sunroof for $31,070 which is "into holdback"--a 2.9% profit for the dealer.

By just $216, IF that is a car carrying the new higher MSRP and invoice. If that is an older car then that could be at or over invoice - or less under than you think.

Also, they "offered" it to you - did you take them up on the offer? A dealer can say anything, it is what is on the paperwork when you sign it that matters. If the dealer "forgot" to include the $715 destination fee in your price quote or they have a $500 or more "doc" or "prep" fee they add to the price, then an under invoice "offer" turns a bit more sour when you try to actually buy the car.

A base journey w/o premium pack is probably pretty hard for a dealer to move, since the premium contains a lot of stuff wants to have on their new G. It could be they would not be so generous with a more popular set of options, who knows.

If your offer does include all dealer fees and destination and that is the car you want, then I would say that is a good deal and you should take it. It is also a far cry from your $1k under invoice price you claim is the most anyone should be paying.

As I just posted in another message, a lot of what each of us can get as a price will be determined by where we live, how much competition exists for our Infiniti purchase, what model, trim, and options we want, and how many the dealer has that match our specs. What is a good for someone on one model in one location my not be possible for others - and also may be too high for someone else.

Dennis
  • kobayashikobayashi Member Posts: 50
    So the recent price increases announced were only for cars PRODUCED after 1/31/08, not a wholesale change for sales after that date of all inventory?

Just confirming that cars on the lot are not effected and are at the old invoice/MSRP price. In other words, the original window sticker price MSRP is the gauge of the whether the car was produced after the price increase. I suspect much confusion and potential games with this price increase during the transition to post-increase produced cars.
    AFAIK they never go back and re-print the window stickers. Almost all car makers seem to raise prices once or twice during the model year so one "trick" to saving a little money can be to pick the one on the lot with the old price. Often the dealers will do this for you when dealing with the Internet/fleet department - they simply can give you a little better price if the car in question has a lower MSRP and invoice than if the car carries the higher numbers. Another reason to pick an "old" car rather than one right off the truck is that many dealers will get free floor planning for xx days after they take delivery, once the car has set unsold on the lot for longer they either have to pay for it for floor plan it with a bank. So they may be a little more motivated to get rid of one they own or are paying interest on than one they just unloaded. I almost never worry about this now as most dealers that deal really low over the Internet just don't care - they will give you the same price on any one you choose - as long as the invoice is the same.

Dennis
    I didn't say you should only pay $1K under invoice. I said the best way to determine a proper offer price is to work off the Actual Dealer Cost--which subtracts Holdbacks (and incentives)--and figure what profit the dealer will accept, which averages about 5%. Obviously, in a robust economy or with high demand cars, this profit figure will be more towards the 8% range. I think perhaps we are differing on what the term "invoice' includes. In my formula invoice price is only a part of Actual Dealer Cost.
    Just because dealers won't deal until holdback doesn't mean you shouldn't consider it when factoring their profit. I guess by stating that dealers won't give up the holdback you are saying that dealers won't sell a car for less than a 3% profit, unless they are desperate (or their are hidden factory-dealer incentives). Sometimes they will go under 3% profit but we agree that this would be a good deal on an Infinity and buyers should jump at it.

Of course, if a dealer adds on fees after you've settled on a price, get up and run, or if negotiating via tel/fax/internet tell them you're paying only the previously quoted price (but also tax,title, license). This scenario can be avoided if you specifically ask them for their final price including all fees. Also have them fax you the signed offer before gong in to the dealer to avoid the switcheroo.

Where does Edmunds list the holdback?

Thanks.
    Hey wmaung,
    Please discard my prev post. In my previous post, i wrongfully used the invoice price of a RWD(journey) to compare your price.... I believe your 35900 is including destination...and the invoice is 35582(w/o destination), so according to people here if you you need to add the car price+ destination + any dealer fee to compare against the invoice price..... did they quote you any destination or dealer fee at all?
    I just received a price for a brand new 2008 G35x with Prem , tech and navigtation packages. the MSRP was 40.5K and they are going to sell the car for 37.8? Dealer said it 650 over their invoice. Is this a good and fair price to pay?
    Hey Vik Kid,
    The rep: offered including accessories, Dmv fee and sale tax total 39k. I checked on Edmund and invoice came out $36,642 (including prem+nav pkgs, performance tire. splash guards and c-mat) So I think it might be good deal for me If he gave me under 39k. What do you think?

Regards
  • waltazwaltaz Member Posts: 163
    So interpret this offer from Pinnacle Infiniti in Scottsdale, AZ:

"Just announced.... Pinnacle Infiniti is offering your choice of $10,000 off or a $12,000 trade allowance towards all vehicles in the new car display area. Don't miss this opportunity to make the deal of the year on a premier Infiniti, "

So only those vehicles in the showroom? Did they jack the prices on them?
    Like any dealer come ons, probably is loaded with gotchas. Maybe they rolled out everything except the left over 07 models or maybe the big, expensive SUVs they can't sell, etc.

The idea is to get you to come in and see, and once you are there and they have nothing that cheap you really want, they can try to sell you something else.

Unless I was driving by the dealer anyway, a deal like this probably would not even get me to get out of the car.

Dennis
  • suketu9suketu9 Member Posts: 4
    I am planning on buying Infiniti 2008 G35 Journey with Premium + Navgiation. I am buying in Georgia. What are the drive out prices people are paying or even the price before taxes and dealer fee. Some quotes I have gotten is like 37348 drive out , 37419 drive out. Is that good offer? I have already asked them to give me better offer and they said good luck but this is our best offer. Are those above prices good, bad?

Thanks!!
    I have no idea what a "drive out" price would be in GA. You need to deal the price down on the car with the destination and dealer fee included - to no more than $500 over invoice - then when you add the legit taxes and fees you will have the out the door price for where you live.

I think just about all the Atlanta area dealers charge $500 or so doc fees, so it will be hard(er) to get a great deal from them - but there are many in a small area so competition for your purchase may help.

Prebul in Chattanooga has a more modest doc fee and may deal pretty low.

Harper in Knoxville has $0 doc fee and you should be able to deal down to $750 or less over invoice.

Dennis
    Is invoice price same the sticker price on the car window.? If not how do you figure out Invoice Price.

Thanks
    The window sticker shows MSRP - Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price.

Invoice is dealer cost, not including hold back or any known (or unknown) dealer incentives.

You can get invoice here at Edmunds under the new car "price with options", KBB, and carsdirect.com - and others.

You can take the MSRP window sticker of a car you like and add up the invoice price of those items and get the invoice for the car. Always include the $715 destination fee in the price. If you can get your new G for around this number including the dealer's "doc" or "prep" fees then you have a nice deal.

Dennis
    My price that I have recieved for 2008 g35 is Total is $37478 with free lifetime oil chnage. What do you guys think about this deal? Is it good in GA.
  • mpressivempressive Member Posts: 9
    I'm looking for some feedback as to what you would offer for this type of vehicle. The car is new and is a leftover. Right now there at 1k under invoice but to me that doesn't make sense when you can get a 08 at invoice. Let me know your thoughts. Thanks!!
    Infiniti never put any dealer money on the left over G sedans, so your price is going to be about it - invoice less all of hold back. As you say, no reason to take the left over if you can get an 08 for invoice + $500 or less.

Dennis
    I have no idea. Which model and which options? What is the MSRP? What is your price? I would not care about the "lifetime oil change" since you are probably paying for that with a too high price.

Dennis
  • mpressivempressive Member Posts: 9
    Thanks for the feedback. Just curious, what's the holdback on an 07 G35 Sport w/Nav, Tech and Journey?? They also said that they would give me less then employee pricing on the vehicle. What do you think a good number would be with all of the things I mentioned included?

Thanks!!
    Its G35 Journey 2008 with premium + nav. Total MSRP is $37,815.00. But they are giving it for 37448 with dealer fee, taxes, title, and lifetime oil change. Is the price still expensive.
    Depends on your source:

Some say 3% of MSRP, which is not correct. Edmunds says 1% of MSRP, which I also think is not correct. Other sources say 1% of MSRP + 2% of invoice, which I think it USED to be, but is no longer (and probably the source of the 3% myth).

From what I have been told it is 1.5% of MSRP after you remove the destination charge.

I think this last one is maybe the correct one.

Dennis
    Not exactly price related, but if you are in this forum you either have a new G or hopefully will have a new G soon. The owner's manual is so thick it will not fit in the glove box on my coupe and I have not taken time to read it all - but I wanted a PDF version so browse at leisure on the old PC.

Infiniti has them available online - the owner's manual, the warranty guide, the quick start, the Nav instructions, etc.

Go to this link and choose the model and year an you will get a list of the available PDFs. No login or VIN is required so even prospective owners can get copies of the manuals.

Note that they only have 2007 and 2008 manuals also note that the G37 owner's book you download only applies to early VIN numbers, there is a link in THAT PDF to download the later version of the book (V2). I think it is mostly all the voice commands they removed, but I have not checked.

Enjoy!

Dennis
  • erving6erving6 Member Posts: 16
    waltaz,
    did you do the deal in scottsdale and did you have a trade? If so how was the deal on the trade?

Is anyone else getting better than low blue book on their trades for a 08 G?
  • dballsdballs Member Posts: 7
    G35x NAV/AWD/PREM/WOOD/Cargo Net / Splash Guards\

24 month lease, 15K miles
    MSRP 39965
    Dealer Invoice 36685
    Price Paid 35744

MF 1.23
    residual 69%
    Out the door = $2200 + DMV

Monthly $400

Lease calculators on line all come out w/ diff numbers. if someone has the right calc, would appreciated running the numbers.
    Thoughts?
  • ymmvymmv Member Posts: 8
    kman1311,

I was told that my car will arrive within 60-90 days from the date of order (which apparently happens once a month). That is unless they can spot the exact car I want being shipped prior to that and divert it to their dealership - then it will be sooner.
    That is the exact car I am looking at for 37.8K plus tax and title. Would you mind sharing the deal in writing so I can present to my dealer for a match?

Thanks!
    Allbiz, what other details are you looking for?
    I answered your duplicate post over in the G lease forum.

Please don't post the same question in multiple places, it makes it hard to have a "conversation" about the subject.

Dennis
    Would it be possible to get a copy of the sales receipt or something I could take to my dealer for verification?
    Details posted above. I'd have to work at faxing you a copy of the invoice. If you send me the fax number, i'll see what i can do.
    Unless you take it back to the same dealer, I would seriously doubt it would do you any good. Just because someone somewhere else gets a good price really is not likely to have any effect on your local dealer's price. They will simply tell you to go to that dealer and lease the car, which is likely way too far away for you to practically do (and they know it).

Dennis