Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge Dakota

jjohnsjjohns Member Posts: 1
edited March 2014 in Dodge
Has anyone had trouble with the new 1997 Dodge
Dakota? My experience has been incredibly
disappointing -- timing chain replacement, bad
connecting rod (engine replacement), bad computer
module, transmission not shifting properly, water
leaks in the cab and front end prematurely wearing
tires. I would like to know if other people have
similar issues with this vehicle and what has/can
be done.

Comments

• MotormouthMotormouth Member Posts: 99
    Thanks for bringing your question here, jjohns. I noticed there is a topic already open on Dodge RAM trucks, so I think it's great to start a separate topic for the Dakota model.

So now, LET'S HEAR FROM YOU DAKOTA OWNERS! ;-)
  • WeirdAl1WeirdAl1 Member Posts: 2
    Keep in mind that I am not trying to act like a know-it-all and tell you how to live your life.

I do not own a 1997 Dodge Dakota. I own a 1994 Dodge Dakota. I always owned cars before, so this is my first truck. It actually has been the best
    vehicle that I have ever owned. Before the truck, I owned an 1977 AMC Hornet, a 1986 Chevy Celebrity, and a 1990 Dodge Daytona.

So, that it why I would continue to buy either a Dodge Dakota or a Dodge Durango. I wouldn't mind also buying a Jeep Cherokee (regular or Grand), a Chrysler Concorde or a Dodge Intrepid. I now believe in Dodge/Chrysler products.

When I look at buying a new vehicle, the one thing I always look at (now) is how popular the vehicle is. I have noticed that when you buy a vehicle that has become popular (like the Dodge Dakota), you begin to find problems like you are talking about.

I believe that because certain vehicles become popular, manufacturers have to pump out these vehicles from their plants. When that happens, corners get cut just to get the vehicles out of the plants.

I am sorry that I could help you with your problems. I wish you luck with your Dodge Dakota.
  • jaymanjayman Member Posts: 1
    I'm looking into buying a 1998 Dakota. I've compared it (so far) to the 98 Nissan Frontier, and a 98 Toyota Tacoma. I must say that the Dakota beat the pants off the other two. It has forced me to reconsider my position on American engineering considerably!

What I'm wondering is what other owners think of their Dakotas. Anyone else having the same problems as jjohns?
  • hardrunnerhardrunner Member Posts: 2
    I am currently looking at buying a 98 Dakota extended cab. I also like it better than it's competion. Sure would like to hear from others about their experiences with this type truck.
  • 27172717 Member Posts: 1
    SINCE MY 1991 CHEV. BLAZER WAS STOLEN I KNEW THAT I WOULD WANT ANOTHER 4X4. I LIKE THE DODGE RAM BUT THOSE THINGS ARE HUDGE AND THE DAKOTA OFFERS IT ALL BUT IN A SMALLER PACKAGE. BUT WHAT I'M WONDERING ABOUT IS THE RELABILITY FACTOR. I WANT A TRUCK THAT I CANE DEPEND ON SO THAT'S WHY I WANT A 1998. SO WANT IS THE BEST TRUCK IN THE DAKOTA'S CLASS? AND WHAT COMPANY HAS THE BEST PRICES?
  • knowmoreknowmore Member Posts: 1
    Have ordered a 1998 extended cab Dakota, and want to buy a canopy and bedliner, but which one? Any help out there? I have heard good and bad about the spray on liners. There are many brands of canopies and this is my first new truck. Want to make the right choices.
  • psycorampsycoram Member Posts: 3
    It takes a real man to drive a Dodge
  • kristinekristine Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone know how well the '96 or newer Dakotas will tow a horse trailer? I would be towing about 5000 lbs. total. I know what the Dakota's towing capacity is, but I am hoping someone has tried this, and I am interested in the results. I would primarily be traveling on highways, occasionally in mildly mountainous terrain. I am also considering purchasing a Ram, but was hoping the smaller Dakota V8 could do the job well.
  • DESPOSIDESPOSI Member Posts: 4
    Kristine,
    Check the towing capacities within Edmunds specs or in the brochures at the dealer. You'll find the new Dakota 2WD with a 5.2 V8 offers, I believe, more towing capacity than the Ram. Same engine less weight = more tow.
  • rickcaldwellrickcaldwell Member Posts: 1
    Hey jjohns, sorry to here about the bad experience your having with your truck. I have a 97 Dakota also with the 5.2 V8. The only real problem I've had (other than a drunk old lady backing into my fender in a parking lot) with it is a bad spark-knock (pinging) noise from the motor while accelerating. I've had it back to the dealer 6 times for this reason but unfortunately the problem still exist. The timing has been adjusted, the chambers and fuel injectors have been cleaned, the computer has been reprogrammed, and I have tried every brand and grade of gasoline that is made. Nothing has made a difference. My service department has told me they don't have any idea what else to try and for me to wait to see if the problem gets any worse. Does anyone know of anything else I can try?
  • joedjoed Member Posts: 1
    check the link to TSBs from edmunds and you will see the dealer tsbs on most all the problems you had with your truck !! was it yellow in color by some chance??
  • jlflemmonsjlflemmons Member Posts: 2,242
    Rick,
    Did anyone think to check the knock sensor? If Dodge works like most, the sensor will keep advancing the timing until knock/pinging is detected. If the sensor doesn't "hear" anything, the timing advances to a pre-determined maximum.
    No matter what the static timing is set at, the ECM will start from there and advance.

Jim
  • jaksynjaksyn Member Posts: 4
    HI THERE! We are thinking of buying a '98 Dakota with the V-8, Towing Pkg, and Handling Pkg, but I cannot find the V-8 option in this Edmund's site. Do any of you know the dealer cost, etc - so we can be 'informed' buyers? Also, I see some of you already own similar Dakotas - how do they handle, run, etc? With this power plant and the 3.55 gears it ought to run REAL good. We have never owned a truck before - we hope to have a good experience with a Dakota. Any info would be appreciated.
  • LauraroseLaurarose Member Posts: 1
    My husband and I bought a 97 Dakota (V8, extra cab sport, towing package) last march. To date we have only had two problems, a torn rubber cover on one of the axl joints in the rear end (sorry that I don't have all of the legitimate names for the parts) and a transmission shifting problem. Other than that.. it has been an excellent truck! I think one of the best things about it is how powerful it is! This truck has a lot of torque and handles beautifully. The other great thing about it is that even though you are buying a truck that is in the 'compact' range when you park next to a ranger or sonoma, you DWARF them! even the Toyota Tacoma (in the full size class) is about the same size!
  • traptrap Member Posts: 2
    hi, i am new to this site. i have been a gm truck owner for years,but have been considering on buying a sport dakota. i like the looks and options , but know of guys who have bought new ones & had transmission problems. can someone help me with this issue?
    thanks.
  • rmcrmc Member Posts: 1
    Is it true that the Dakota does not offer the "third door"!!!!???? Is the Dakota really a "compact"-- it seems gigantic when I think of the 87 Mazda (which has been an absolutely perfect truck for eleven years) which I am planning to replace this year or perhaps next. I'd love to hear comments pro and con about the Dakota; it does seem to cost alot compared to its competition from even Chevy and Ford, not to mention Mazda, Isuzu, and Nissan-- the latter three, of all which, were most impressive. I'm kind of stuck in the circle of looking at all these trucks and coming up with so many variations. Whatever experience the Dakota owners might offer, I'd appreciate it.
  • thing1thing1 Member Posts: 1
    In response to rmc; I too am looking at the same trucks, and what is swaying me to the dodge is the fact that the dakota is the only "small" pickup that has a rear bench seat. If you look at some of the other pickups out there you get the little "jump seats" that I would not want to ride in for very long. Also with most of the third doors you loose one of the seats to the door.
  • traptrap Member Posts: 2
    I LIKE THE SIZE OF THE EXTENDED CAB COMPARED TO THE OTHER "SMALL" TRUCKS ESPECIALLY WITH THE BACK BENCH SEAT. I HAVE HEARD THAT THE THIRD DOOR WAS SUPPOSE TO BE OFFERED IN 1998 ,BUT IT SEEMS IT MIGHT BE LATER THIS YEAR OR NEXT. IN MY AREA THE PRICE OF THE DODGE COMPARED TO OTHERS ARE THE SAME PRICE. I BELEIVE YOU GET MORE FOR YOUR MONEY WITH THE DODGE SINCE IT IS BIGGER.
    Just found out a friend is on Dakota #2, traded his first one for #2 when it only had 30,xxx miles on it! He liked the improved looks and upgraded to the V-8. Says he wouldn't trade it for love nor money. The way I stack the numbers, the Dakota comes up way ahead - and I am one of those up-tight engineer types. The tranny comment from trap concerns me, especially with all of the V-8 power - any info out there?
  • damishdamish Member Posts: 1
    In response to rmc....you'd really have to try hard to convince me that the Dakota is a compact. Compared to other "compact" trucks I've seen, it is quite a bit larger....guess you would call it a mid-size for lack of a better term. I have a 95 Dakota with the Magnum V-6....enough power there for me. It has an 8' bed, which I HIGHLY recommend. You can put just about anything in that. I got it a couple months ago, with 60,000 miles on it. Very tight, and the transmission has been checked.....no problems there. Let us know what you decide on!
  • winstatwinstat Member Posts: 16
    I would appreciate any suggestions from Dakota owners about the following question: I am interested in buying a '97 or '98 Dodge Dakota Regular Cab 4x2 Shortbox. I need to know if that 3.9L V6 w/Auto Trans. would be good enough for me based on the following: Besides the normal home/work travel which is in city for me, I will be doing some interstate travel from Omaha to Des Moines during the summer on the weekends and occasionally a vacation trip to Hot Springs, AR in the spring time next year. I will not be hauling anything like a trailer or any equipment nor doing any moving of consequence. I'm trying to save as much money as I can and I know that V8 is well capable of my needs, but would it be wise to save money and go with that V6 and not run into problems say, 40,000 or 50,000 into my use. I am avid on getting fluids checked every 2 1/2 months or almost 3,000 miles. Any advice or suggestions for me? Would you or do you feel confident in using that V6 engine for something like what I will be doing with my truck?
  • WalkentallWalkentall Member Posts: 1
    Winstat,

Your uses are exactly what I have been using my 97 Dakota for. The V6 has more than enough power for me. In fact I have driven a V8 and unless you plan to do some heavy hauling or pulling the V6 should be plenty of muscle. The only thing I wish I would have waited for was the airbag disable switch. That would be a definite selling point for me to buy a 98 vs. a 97.
  • NuCarLoverNuCarLover Member Posts: 1
    I have a 95 Dodge Dakota 4x4 with SLT pack. and 5-speed. It was wreaked (by someone else!) and rebuilt (by my dad's friend). It has 30,000 miles on it and had been a great truck for me since I got it in July. I like the new Dakota's styling, but the actual headroom and interior space is much smaller, I think. Other opinions??? JBThompz@aol.com
  • dale1234dale1234 Member Posts: 1
    Am considering buying a 98 Dakota, Regular Cab, Short Box, V-6 with 5-speed. Wonder if anyone has any experience with this combination. What are you getting for gas mileage? Any problems? Hear that there have been some water leakage complaints. Very interested to hear from you!
  • nonenonenonenone Member Posts: 2
    1990 4wd pu: this truck does not run smooth:
    is this a common experience
  • nonenonenonenone Member Posts: 2
    see note above --=- the best way to give
    response is to enter response in the posting
    box and then hit post
  • farrewj1farrewj1 Member Posts: 1
    Hi!

I have a Duraliner bedliner in my 10 year old MAZDA (I just ordered a Dakota). I never had a single problem with it in all those years - no cracks, holes, etc. The Duraliner for the new Dakota is $185 installed (a good price, not a retail price). I went for the "over rail" version.

Sorry, no experience with caps or canopies.
  • amanda1amanda1 Member Posts: 1
    am thinking of new dakota extended 4x4
    any experience out there good or not so good with this model?
  • dwedwe Member Posts: 5
    Does anyone know for sure if/when Dodge will add a third or fourth door to their club cab Dakotas? I'm thinking of buying, but really want a rear door.
  • PhylrichPhylrich Member Posts: 1
    I'm looking for a tool box for my 98 Dakota. I can't use cross over type due to side rails. Anyone know of a manufacturer or retailer that may have access to a box that will fit inside bed. I need space to store golf clubs. I've found models that aren't long enough. There's about 56 inches across to fill but wheel flares are a factor.
  • ybborybbor Member Posts: 1
    I have never owned a truck but once a long time ago(it was a piece of crap-a hand me down) but am now going to buy a dakota next weekend and want a bed liner WHAT SHOULD I GET.I heard the plastic liners will trap water(I live in Louisiana) under it and scratch the top of the bed.Should I get a spray-in liner? and if so will they be able to match the dark amathest color. anyone have any advice?
  • mtostevinmtostevin Member Posts: 1
    Great info here on the 98 Dakota - thanks! I'm heading back to the dealer this weekend after they turned down my $24K offer on a loaded Sport version. Any idea how much higher I should be willing to go?
  • BrutusBrutus Member Posts: 1,113
    Cheapskate,

You shouldn't have to pay more than a few hundred over dealer invoice, and that's assuming there are no rebates. I haven't looked at the invoice pricing for a Dakota, but that sounds a little high, maybe closer to MSRP. I just ordered a 1 ton Ford SuperDuty 4x4 V10 fully loaded, including leather, for $28,500. Your target should be dealer invoice minus dealer holdback minus rebate plus 5% profit. If this dealer doesn't come close to that price, shop around.

ybbor,

I've only heard good things about the spray-on liners. I plan to have one put in my truck when it arrives. I've been told to make sure you go to a reputable installer. It's not worth saving $100 or so if they don't do it right. Rhino Liner is one of the bigger names out there. I saw an article with a toll free number to call with questions and to find the dealer closest to you. The ad said they had a wide variety of colors. I don't have the toll free number here at work, but if you want it, I can look it up at home.
  • thegoinkerthegoinker Member Posts: 8
    I just took delivery on
    a dodge dakota 3.9l,
    v-6, auto-trans. i
    don't know if there are
    and good or bad
    characteristics yet.
    does anyone have any
    good or bad stories on
    this model????
  • kristopherkristopher Member Posts: 1
    I purchase a dodge dakota 4x4 club cab two weeks ago. When I applied the brakes, or accelerate from a stop position or going over bumps, there is a thumping noise. Also what ever is causing that noise, it can be felt though the steering wheel. Any one who knows what is causing my problem, please e-mail me. THANK YOU MJCKRC@AOL.COM
  • thegoinkerthegoinker Member Posts: 8
    Kris, My Dakota is so new that I havent even got the clock set yet. but I'll let you know of any thing I learn. I have really enjoyed the first 500 miles. My last truck was back in 1967 and it was a 1937 Chevy with a 283 V8 stuffed in it. Needless to say I had ball in it. But not as fun as the new Dakota!
  • WIETZKEDWIETZKED Member Posts: 1
    I'M SERIOUSLY THINKING ABOUT BUYING A DAKOTA CLUBCAB IN THE VERY NEAR FUTURE. I'VED OWNED TWO OTHER DODGE TRUCKS A 1979 D150 CUSTOM, WHICH I HAD UNTIL I BOUGHT A 1989 D250. I WAS CURIOUS IF ANYONE OUT THERE HAS GONE FROM A FULL SIZE TO A SMALLER TRUCK HAD ANY REGRETS.

THANKS DALE
  • staceystacey Member Posts: 3
    To potential Dakota buyers,

Thanks to Edmund's and Auto by Tel, I've been driving a '98 Dodge Dakota (4x4, Club Cab, SLT, V-8, auto, loaded) for 5 months and 6,000 miles now.
    A few observations -

First, I ordered the truck from the factory to get exactly what I needed for towing and off-roading. Also, my two tone color choice of Jade/Driftwood was impossible to find (but great for hiding dirt). The buying experience was simple and easy - I contacted Auto by Tel who referred me to a nearby dealer's fleet manager who honored a pre-agreed price of $300 over invoice for whatever I wanted. I just read off my list of options, left a small deposit, and came back in 6 weeks to a new truck...no dickering, no stress, no problems. Maybe I could have gotten a better deal the old fashioned way, but not much better and not without a fight!
    After being a loyal Toyota 4x4 owner for a number of years, the Dakota has been a very pleasant surprise! I moved to the Dodge for it's V-8 boat towing power and extra cab and bed room. I've experienced no problems so far and enjoy the smooth and quiet ride. Of course the gas mileage isn't anything to brag about, but at least it's only 1 or 2 mpg less than my old '90 Toyota V6 (around 15 mpg, mostly commuting so far).
    I plan on doing a lot of off-roading and camping this spring, and boat towing this summer so I'll know more about this truck's capabilities come fall!
    Additions have included a hi-rise Snugtop shell (looks great with a beautiful color match, worth the premium price) and Pendaliner. Next in line is an aftermarket cat-back exhaust system for a little extra power and nice sound.
    Just a note on my choosing the Dakota over a full sized truck. Price was not the key, full sized trucks are not much more money than the Dakota. Being mid-sized for maneuverability on and off road was more important to me. O.K., the handsome styling didn't hurt either.

Enough babbling already...I just though I'd share my experience for those still trying to decide. I did my share of research and agonizing, but I think I made the right choice.

Stacey
  • zenonzenon Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know the invoice price for Dodge's new sport truck? And what the standard features are? I heard that a 4-speed auto and abs were standard, can anyone confirm this? Thanks

BEN
  • NAvery1971NAvery1971 Member Posts: 1
    To all Dakota owners. I have test driven the 98 Dakota and found the same "guessy" tranny problem. It seams it doesn't know what gear it wants to be in and is puzzled when it gets there. Other than that problem I haven't heard of any "Terminal" tranny problems, even with the wonderful small block V-8 stuffed in front of it.
    While I am on the subject I noticed a few questions as to the old V-6/V-8 argument. I'll give you the same advice I gave my dad when he turned in his V-6 powered full size Chevy for a big block full size V-8 powered ram. "What every vehicle you get, get the BIGGEST motor they offer, and you will never be disappointed." If you don't you will always be longing for the power or the towing capacity or for some other reason, like those fun stop light drags! My dad hasn't been disappointed with his decision yet and his truck gets "crappy" gas milage, but it is still better than the over worked V-6 milage he got in his Chevy. On one final note, let me give you some numbers for a reality check. Keep in mind you will need to adjust these numbers depending on your gas milage, fuel capacity, etc. I get 13 miles per gallon with my current vehicle. I NEVER put cheap gas in it, because you do get what you pay for. I spend $1.50 for 15 gal. of gas that gives me $22.50 per tank. For the sake of easy math lets say I go through a tank a week.(Thats about 10,140 miles a year). So $22.50x52=$1170 a year for gas. If I put the cheap stuff in it at $1.15 for 15 gal. of gas that gives me $17.25 per tank. So $17.25x52=897. Hmmm, that is a $273 difference. Ask yourself, how much stupid crap do you buy in one year that ads up to that amount. Yes their is insurance to consider, but even if I am outlandish and say another 100 bucks a year, your still gonna tell me that 373 is a lot of money??? And what do I save myself. Well I have Never been towed in the dead of winter when it is -10 degrees outside, and I haven't had a carburetor rebuild in 2 years, when I was having one every 6 months. So if it is a question of fuel milage do the math yourself and you'll find it only costs you a little more per year to own a V-8 and you'll never be disappointed.
    By the way I am planning on purchasing a truck this summer and it will likely be a new Dakota. And no it wont have their wimpy, underpowered V-6.
  • jdaviddjdavidd Member Posts: 1
    Here's my two bits on Dakotas. I bought my 97 4x4, ext. cab, Sport Plus, 5.2/5-speed and 3.92 gears last april. It now has 49K miles on it. Mostly highway, daily off road or no road (oilfields), pulling horse trailers in the mountains. The only thing to fail has been the bulb in the dome light. I go through alot of trucks and this one rides, drives, handles better and goes more places than any full size 1/2 ton. It also tows more than full size 1/2 ton. MPG in the summer is +/-19 highway. HOWEVER, the mpg drops to about 16.5 when weather is cold. Around here cold is 0 to -30. I've been told the mpg drop is caused by the computer richening the fuel mixture as temp drops and have had the same problem on recent full size Dodge. That's probably not a concern to most people who live in more civilized places that don't get that cold very often. Overall quality seems to be great. I usually change trucks every year to year and a half, but I'm thinking about seeing just how far this one will go.
    Just took delivery of my Dakota, less than 300 miles on it so far. I LOVE IT!!!! I got the Club Cab, 5.2, 5 spd man, heavy duty everything, stock seats and radio. What a truck! Dealer made $60.00 over invoice, the first dealer whined too much, so I found a different one - they were happy to take my money. Everything I have read here about how great of a truck they are is true. If you are thinking about it - DO IT!!
  • desirfdesirf Member Posts: 1
    jaksyn:

where did you get your dakota from? what color is it? what year? $60 over invoice!?
  • coffeequeencoffeequeen Member Posts: 1
    i am very interested in a the dakota club cab sport 4x2. the few dodge dealers i have gone to won't budge on the retail price. do these trucks really demand their msrp? has anyone found a better way to purchase one less then msrp?
  • eaglemaneagleman Member Posts: 1
    Gee, after reading all the "new" truck comments I feel like I own a museum piece - a 1993, SLT, extended cab, V6, automatic, power everything, tow package. My Dad, the farmer, calls it a "town truck" and he's right. Got 91,000 miles on it, with ZERO engine problems - but I change the oil & filter every 3000 miles religiously and check filters, fluids, etc. I do all my own maintenance and only use dealership mechanics if I absolutely have to (e.g., warranty claims). If I had it to do over again, I would definitely get the V8 - same or better gas mileage as the V6; less effort maintaining serious cruising speeds; the 318 has been around for 30 years and is stone cold reliable. I love the room and the rear bench seat - great for dogs, grandchildren, and stuff you want to protect. The ride and handling is excellent. Now for the gripes:
    1. I get 14 to 16 mpg in urban driving and 17 to 19 on the highway. I drive a full size Chevy 4.3L V6 at work and it gets 18 to 20 and 22 to 24 under worse conditions. I think the poor mileage is due in part to #2 that follows.
    2. The transmission "hunts" when climbing grades or if carrying a load in the bed. It will not shift into overdrive until the temp enters the "normal" range on the gauge, and it will drop out of overdrive and/or drop into 2nd or 3rd at the least push. I think whoever programmed the shift points just missed a calculation or two. Overall, it just doesn't feel nearly as good as your father's torqueflite, but I've had no problems with it (knock on wood).
    3. The turning radius is way too big for a truck this size - it takes at least 1/2 acre to turn around. The full size Chevy long bed I drive at work and will easily turn inside my Dakota. Tight parking lots are a pain!
    4. The OEM front rotors kept warping on me every 10K miles or so - finally replaced them with remanufactured ones from NAPA at 35K and no more brake problems.
    5. Within the first month of getting the truck, the fan clutch would occasionally engage upon starting the engine. Sounds like an aircraft propeller up there. It will stay engaged until about 20 MPH then kick out. My dealer replaced the clutch under warranty, then refused to replace it again saying it was normal performance. I talked to regional warranty reps from Dodge, but never got satisfaction. Doesn't happen nearly as often now, but still is an annoyance.

I will be getting another truck next year, and am looking very seriously at the F150 extended cab with the 4.6 V8.
  • J24J24 Member Posts: 17
    I'm in the market for a new compact truck and have been considering the three big truck manufacutures . I'm currently looking at the Chevy s-10 ZR2 package, but I'm hesitate about any purchase in the excess of 20K. My step father owns a full size Dodge and he too has experienced tranny problems. Why is it that manufactures can not seem to fix these problems? I currently own a S-10 p/u LS pacakage and had my problems with it too. What I have been getting out of these post for all the truck manufactures is that every brand seems to have its quarks then you have accept when buying. I need some guidence and would appreciate any comments on the Dodge Dakota. It just appears that people only post the things that are bad. I guess it is easier to complain then it is to complement a vehicle.
  • naynay Member Posts: 7
    J24
    after a few years of research i think the ZR2 is built like a brick outhouse. compare specs and you will see what i mean. the only 2 things i would worry about are a poor crash rating and the 4.3 liter V6 has documented problems with the intake manifold. seems it has to be cleaned every 30k miles or live with the rough idle and sluggish perfromance.

the new dakota seems even better. with the 4x4, nice high stance and some nice tires. i would choose the 318, it has been around for ever, same with the tranny. the dakota also offers a bench seat in the extended cab where the ZR2 only offers jump seats. one thing you may look at though, if you are going to pay some major cash for the dakota, why not just go full size. it's not that much more. - nay
    nay,

Many good points. I agree with you and I'm also aware of some of the differences between the two trucks...i.e. jump seats vs. bench seat, 3rd door option on ZR2 vs no 3rd door on Dakota...etc. I do not know what the new crash results are for '98 modes, but they should have improved since it now includes two airbags standard. Also the '98 ZR2's use a SFI system as oppose to the TBI system so I do not know if the build up would still take place. However I do not know if I agree with you on that being a result of sluggish performance. I currently own a '95 S-10 and do not believe it too be sluggish at all with a 180 HP engine and 60,000 miles on it with regular tune ups.

You are correct about the price not being too much more for the full size, but I'm not interested in them. I like to stay with the compact truck and probably would get the V6 not the V8. I have no need for the extra horse power and probably would not use the truck to its fullest potental and therefore would be wasting my money. I basically use my current truck for performing some hauling of materials, going fishing, hunting, camping, off-roading and the alike. I have no attentions of towing anything at this time, but do in the future. The thing is that I know most of the problems associated with the S-10 model and most of them I'm willing to overlook...such as rattling of the 3rd door inside and the plastic design of the dashboard. In the end those things make no difference in the performance of the vehicle or how long it lives. The thing that does worry me about the Dakota is the well know tranny problems encountered on them. Well enough B.S. from me. Let me know what you drive and think about this. I really appreciate you input and honesty. Thanks.
  • naynay Member Posts: 7
    J24
    sound like you have really done your homework. nice job. i agree, if you don't plan to tow and haul tons of stuff, the V6 would propbobly be perfect. As for the 4.3, i have not personally experienced these problems, just read about them (chicago tribune transportation/auto section) about three separate times over the past year. The reason that i remember this is becuase i was "this close" to purchasing one until i found out about the problem. right now i am looking to purchase a 98 F150 shortbox 4x4 with the 4.6 either in June or July.
    I think both trucks kick butt as far as looks. They both look like they could handle some rugged terain. You might want to do a comparison road test some saturday after noon and see which "feels" better (if you haven't already done this). - nay
    nay

Thanks for the advice. I may just do that.
This discussion has been closed.