Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura MDX Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• rdecker10rdecker10 Member Posts: 2
    Like the guy at message 1059, I too am disappointed with the leg room. The telescoping wheel would be the thing. They have it in the TL & RL. The Volvo XC90 has it. And while they're at it, a little more tilt to the wheel would be nice. But this is what really gets me: As I drove away from the dealer at 7:45PM on my day of purchase, I had to keep turning on the interior lights to see what the buttons on the steering wheel did. Is there not an engineer at Acura that can figure out how to illuminate the buttons on the steering wheel? My '97 Ford pickup has illuminated steering wheel lights! I traded in an '03 Chevy Trailblazer LTZ. In it, I had much better illuminated steering wheel buttons that did way more things, I was able to control the backs and bottoms of the seat heaters in BOTH front seats independently, I was able to have power lumbar adjustment in BOTH front seats, my 2nd row passengers were able to plug in 2 separate sets of head phones to access the audio system up front, and they were able to plug in a 12v item right there at the back of the center console instead of having to fish it into the bottom of the console armrest compartment or climb over to the cargo area. If you want REAL comfort in a seat, sit in the leather seat of my '03 Chevy Tahoe. It also has independent seat heaters for both seats. The Acura dealer told me something to the effect that the passenger seat could not have a seat back heater because it would interfere with the air bag override. Again, I would think an Acura engineer could figure that out - Chevy did. If this is real luxury, I'm going back to Chevy. :mad: Thankfully, this is my wife's car, and I still have my Tahoe. :)
  • scottm123scottm123 Member Posts: 1,501
    Glad to see that someone else also agrees.
    I completely agree with the illuminated steering wheel buttons.
    It's available on the TL for $10,000 less and not available on the MDX?
    And yes, the seats are absolutely horrible. I came from a Jeep Grand Cherokee, and although I was not happy with Jeep's seat warmers scorching some parts while only luke warming others, I loved the seats themselves. I just took the MDX on a 2,500 mile road trip and was my backside barking when that trip came to an end. And what is up with the little white fibers that are always comeing out of the seats?
    Why cant we have dual zone front climate control???
    The wife is always cold, and I'm always too warm.

Anyway, I still like driving it around, and just like you... this is the wife's car. (as soon as I buy myself something new)
    Was looking at the TL, but I'm having second thoughts.
    I don't like rattles, surface dyed cement like leather seats and enormous torque steer.
    I guess most people do though, Acura is selling tons of them.
  • rsingarersingare Member Posts: 1
    My Acura MDX 2003 started giving jerks when I accelerate at speeds above 60mph, more so while going uphill. It has 45100 miles on it. Any thoughts what could be the problem.

Ravi
  • wayneewaynee Member Posts: 16
    Sounds similar to problem I had (I call it stuttering, at low speeds) on my 2002. Dealer replaced the EGR valve under warranty and problem was solved.
    Most likely the EGR...
    Could also be something as simple as a speed sensor in the transmission, also an inexpensive fix.
  • brians01mdxbrians01mdx Member Posts: 4
    My 01 MDX had 128k mi. and began a rough idle and mild jerking around 50 mph. Then, the check engine light and VTM-4 light came on repeatedly, always the check engine, then sometimes accompanied by the VTM-4 light, then both regularly. When the VTM-4 light was on, the 4-wheel drive did not work (tires spun on wet roads). Thought it was the trans, but saw similar problems posted by others mentioning the EGR valve. Not wanting to pay the dealer $100 to put it on the computer, I bought an EGR valve and gasket on-line for about $70. Replacement was very easy (used PB Blaster on the rusted nuts) and the problem was fixed. Lights reset after 3 quick trips. Not sure why the VTM-4 was affected, but MDX is running great now. Good luck.
  • brians01mdxbrians01mdx Member Posts: 4
    I bought my 01 MDX with 118k miles and no service history. It generally runs great, but there is a minor, but noticeable miss when the engine is idling. New timing belt, plugs and wires didn't help. Any chance fuel delivery could be causing this? Thanks for any suggestions.
  • tacticaltactical Member Posts: 3
    We own a 2005 MDX Touring. We have been Honda loyal since 92. My wifes father much longer than that. I need to know if anyone else has experienced a constant shifting in their MDX. Ours seems like it just can never find the gear it wants. If you step on the gas heavy it has plenty of power to get up and go. As it shifts thru the gears and finally ends up in the very, very tall overdrive the power soon fades. Asking this little V6 engine to pull the vehicle at 1500 rpm is a bad choice on the engineers part, I think. If you press the slightest bit harder on the accelerator you will definitely induce a downshift. If you approach a .00000001% grade you will definitely induce a downshift. I am so upset with this I am ready to part ways with Honda. So do any of you experience this same problem? I will be taking it back to the dealer but considering they don't even know how to balance the tires, I'm not hopeful they can help with this more complex problem.
    Not necessarily a problem and more likely what you first said... an engineering choice.

Mine is an '06, but they're pretty much the same vehicle.
    When doing 50mph, I can shift down to 4th and then 3rd without feeling much of any change in the engine... the top gears are like you said, very tall. This helps the car get better fuel economy on the highway, but doesn't help a whole lot on slower roads.

The car does shift, but I find it mostly un-noticable... doesn't seem to bother me much and certainly wouldn't constitute a visit to the next to useless dealer.

I test drove an '06 MDX for 45 minutes and made my decision to buy after that.
    The car I bought performs like the test model did, so I suppose I knew what I was getting into.

Yes, the MDX has some flaws, but I'm still happy with the purchase.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    If you approach a .00000001% grade you will definitely induce a downshift.

I understand your point but I thought you would find it interesting that the number you chose works out to a change of force in the direction of travel approximately equal to the weight of a mosquito for a 4,000 pound vehicle!

tidester, host
  • rumi1rumi1 Member Posts: 1
    had same problem with my '03 mdx navi with dvd. first time the car had about 22000 on it. completely dead battery replaced under warranty. second time at about 35000 - jump started fine- battery tested by acura dealership and found to be ok. complained to corporate - no real response. common factor in both jump start situations was extremely low temperature in yosemite national park... have a friend with a TL with similar problems.
    That's funny when I read it to myself after having you shed your light on it. Thanks for the input. My exaggeration was in fact to promote my point. So far it sounds like an engineering decision on Honda's part and not a problem. I'll be looking for a replacement if the dealer confers with your responses. Thank You!
  • sbcookesbcooke Member Posts: 2,297
    My 2002 stopped pushing any air (hot or cold) to the rear whether in rear a/c manual or full auto mode. I am not sure when this started, but I just had my 30k service a month or so back and I think it worked beforehand.

I checked all the fuses, they are fine. I removed the airduct in the rear seat area, and there is nothing there, I mean not much other than the 2 controls and a hole for the air to come out.

Any ideas on easy things I can check? Do I need to take the dash apart to get to anything else with this system?
    If the front air is on low and the rear is on high, do you hear the fan?

I suppose it could be something simple like the rear supply hose coming off, but I'd bet that it's more like the rear supply fan no longer working.

I don't suggest taking the dash apart unless you know exactly what you are doing.
    If it's not disassembled and reassembled in the correct manner, you'll end up with more creaks and rattles than a TL!
    There is no fan sound. I am assuming the fan is shot...or just disconnected. I went with the local place for the 30K service...I bought at a shop further out because I got a real slimy feeling from the salesguy...I have heard fun stories of A/C units being disconnected so they can charge big $$$ to just plug it back in.

I think I need to find a manual so I can review all the plugs and connectors and fan-motor location before I bring it anywhere. My warranty just ended too, so before I spend a lot of money for someone to dig through the system, I would rather narrow down the problem.
    Well, the internet is a wonderful place, not sure how we went so long without it.
    Google it, and I'm sure you'll find docs on fan motor access.

There's a good chance that you can do it yourself, if you're comfortable with that sort of stuff... like replacing the cabin filters.

I havent done it on the new MDX yet, but the 00 Accord was a little project for sure.
    Thanks. I will post what I find. I am comfortable with such projects too.

If I end up taking the dashboard off...I may add an IPOD adapter into the stereo too. I assume that would be the best time to do it.
    In my '06 MDX Touring, the Sub is installed in the rear passenger corner.
    With the stereo at a normal listening volume, I can get out of the car and stand by the rear passenger corner and I hear the rear quarter panel vibrating.

If I turn the stereo up a bit, the panel actually thumps out and vibrates badly.

Do they all do this?
    Is this another one of Acura's wonderful engineering decisions?

Can anyone tell me if theirs does this as well, or if I should be having it looked at during my next service visit?

Thanks!
  • varmintvarmint Member Posts: 6,326
    I guess it depends on which panel is doing the vibrating. There is a common problem with the plastic cover over the woofer causing some vibration. Is that what you mean?

At first, I couldn't hear it. I've since determined that it depends on what sort of music I'm playing.

My plan is to cut a gasket from either 1/8" cork or a soft foam and use that to eliminate the vibration. Haven't gotten around to that, just yet. For me, it's not that significant an issue.
    No, that's not what I'm talking about....

Get out of the MDX and walk around to the rear passenger corner of the car.
    Depending on the volume and the amount of bass in the music, the outside quarter-panel will vibrate.... badly.

I plan on complaining about it at my next service visit.
    If Acura won't fix this, I'll have to have it done somewhere else.

I don't crank my music and become a gheto blaster on wheels, but I do enjoy my music to encompass me with volume and clarity. What I dont want is the panels of the exterior vibrating badly at the same time.

I do hear little vibrations inside the car but I was already aware of Acura's problems in this department.
    Hmmm... that's a new one to me. I'll check for it with my 2004 tonight.
  • rhawthornerhawthorne Member Posts: 6
    I had the same issue with my 2005 MDX. The dealer said that the problem was items placed in the covered storage holder on the sub woofer side. I didn't like the answer given, so I popped off the sub woofer cover, removed the speaker and placed 2 layers of 3.5" fiberglass insulation in the cavity behind the woofer filling the cavity. This solved the vibration issue and the speaker does not rattle either.
    Exactly!
    They make sound and vibration dampening materials for just this application. My opinion is that Acura should have tested this, found the issue, and installed without us having to do it ourselves.

And as for the storage holder... mine is completely empty.
    This is exactly as your's was... strictly vibration from the sub.

Thanks for the info, and I'm still curious if others are finding this issue as well.
    So I have not been able to identify the issue and have made an appointment to bring it in. My dealer is now giving me the run-around on getting a loaner vehicle...this is the second time this year. What gives? Has Acura changed its policy?

Previously it was no problem sir...now they tell me Acura has no loaner car service.
    Wasn't able to reproduce it with my 2004 last night. I'll keep an eye on it, though.
    I've always been under the impression that loaner service is a dealer to dealer thing. Most all offer loaners, but it's up to their discretion. For example, the place down the road from my office will not provide a loaner for maintenance work, but they will for significant repairs or recalls. They get to decide which ones are "significant".
    I have made the trip back to the dealer and inquired about the excessive shifting. My service writer's explanation was, "It is a 5 speed transmission". When you get an answer like that you have to pause. I had to ask myself if it was really worth wasting another syllable of air to further my discussion. I did. He then said the equivalent of it is the nature of the beast. I think any transmission that has the converter lock and unlock and or change gears as often as ours is destined to a premature failure. I'm sure it will last thru the 48,000 mile warranty period but then it's anyone's guess! If it wasn't for the $14,000 depreciation of a 9 month old vehicle I'd trade it tomorrow. Honda knows better. Why did they fail in this area. Drivetrain? Honda knows much better!
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    He then said the equivalent of it is the nature of the beast.

I think that is a self-referential statement! ;)

tidester, host
  • m4d0x8m4d0x8 Member Posts: 1
    When we purchased our MDX last weekend, I read something given to us from finance that loaners are for customers that spend over $400 in services.
  • wmquanwmquan Member Posts: 1,817
    Varmint is right. Like many brands, Acura leaves the loaner policy up to individual dealerships. The dealership can specify when a loaner is to be given, and what kind of loaner it is.

Some folks get TL and/or MDX loaners. My dealership (Acura of Bellevue) has TSX loaners (though I saw an MDX loaners the other day). They've given me a loaner even for small services, so long as I reserved in advance. But I've heard of other dealerships that use various criteria -- major repairs only, or services taking more than a couple of hours, and/or only if you bought the vehicle from them.

Dealerships can change their loaner policy at any time. Barrier Saab (part of the Barrier chain around Seattle, which has a LOT of customer service issues and I'd advise staying away from) offered Saab loaners when I leased. But then they switched to Enterprise and I ended up in a stripped Chevy Cobalt after waiting to be driven to the Enterprise station.

Though it's rare to hear about a dealership refusing a loaner on major service if you bought it from them and have scheduled in advance. I have heard about a dealership refusing to give a loaner on a major service when the customer didn't purchase from them.

I remember someone buying from an MB dealer in New York. He claimed that he had them put into writing that he would, during ownership of the vehicle, get MB loaners from them for all dealer visits (that was their policy at the time; he just wanted to make sure it didn't change). I'm not sure how enforceable the document was, though.
  • wmquanwmquan Member Posts: 1,817
    When we purchased our MDX last weekend, I read something given to us from finance that loaners are for customers that spend over $400 in services.

That's pretty weak customer service. Please do others a favor and name the dealership. You can also use your customer survey to let them know what you think about that poor policy.
    "When you get an answer like that you have to pause."

When I went in for my first oil change, the car had 4,200 miles on it due to a long road trip (They didn't want to change the oil early)

I asked the Service guy why the MDX doesn't have a service reminder light to remind me when oil changes are due.

He said
    "It does, but it only turns on every other time"

Is that not the most retarded answer in the world?
    I know there are static cling LCD screen protection sheets to help in avoiding premature wear or scratching of the screen.
    Does anyone know where we can get them pre-cut to fit the MDX screen???
    Tell them you'll only pay for services every other time.

That sort of stuff gets me miffed. Though I do have a somewhat amusing story on the subject.

I usually go through an independent for minor service stuff. They've been very good to Mrs. Varmint and I. When asked about oil change intervals, the mechanic replied, "Every 4-5K miles is fine."

However, I've noticed that the sticker they put in the windshield would have me come back after 3,000 miles.

When asked about that, he explained that in the past they did put 5K on the sticker. But customers complained, saying that everybody knows it should be 3K miles.

Can't win.
    I'm due soon for my second oil change.
    I'll ask the same exact question again and we'll see if I get the same stupid answer, or if he's able to come up with a whole new amusing excuse.
  • rayjay2rayjay2 Member Posts: 14
    I have had my '06 MDX Touring with Nav for about a week.Here are my initial impressions.
    Pro..Far less road noise compared with my '02 MDX,much smoother ride too.Result?Much more comfortable to drive.Better brakes,usable left foot rest,Nav system outstanding,XM radio and CD player very good.Instrument panel backlighting is just great
    Cons..Over boosted,much too sensitive steering.An accident waiting to happen.
    New trip computer display is unusable while moving.The large,bright trip display in my '02 MDX helped me monitor and control fuel milage.
    No decent clock.The tiny,dim time display on the radio is also unusable.
    Overall the '06 model is much improved over my '02.Haven't used the hands free system yet.
    Dispite the Cons the new MDX is far better than much of the compettion.
    Ray
    I've had mine for 3 months now.
    During the first week, I would have agreed with the sensitive steering and acceleration, but I'm completely used to it now, and now I love it... you'll get used to that.

As for the stereo, I'm not at all impressed with the Bose system. The Infinity in my Jeep Grand Cherokee was far and beyond this system.

I completely agree with the clock.
    Instead, I hit the hands free and say "What time is it?"
    She comes right back with the correct time.
    Looking down at the stereo until the tiny poorly lit time appears would just be a cause of an accident.

Congrats on the new MDX!
    I dropped it off today and got nothing but smiles. The loaner was "no problem sir"...

Maybe I just got a service guy on a bad shift the other day?

The woman told me that the rear AC issue is a common problem, it is usually a small resistor in the wiring to the control unit. This is something I probably could have fixed myself for only the price of the part. Well...I will see once I get it back today and they tell me what was broken.
  • nivki89nivki89 Member Posts: 15
    We had our MDX from April 2004. Had few issue (tank gas cover lead, right mirror didn't tilt and completely dead battery after 18 month ) all was fixed by our dealer.
    I agree with previous post - some functionality - clock or trip computer hard to use.
    But put all this behind - I loved my MDX. We travel all over South CA, we move our daughter in and out from collage, etc, etc. etc. Great car, yes - it's had his own problem - but what car doesn't? Go to Volvo, Lexus, BMW, Infinity forums - all of them had posts regarding problems with their cars.
    And if I had a Time machine and roll time back - I will by MDX again. Ok, this time I will get with Bluetooth. ;)
  • mecheng1mecheng1 Member Posts: 161
    With regard to the "Maintenance Reminder Light" in my 2001MDX, the shop manual on page 22-89 states the following about the Maintenance Required Indicator:

At 5900 to 6100 Miles
    "Blinks for 10 seconds when the ignition switch is turned ON"

At 7400 to 7600 Miles
    "Comes on and stays on while the ignition switch is ON."

The manual states that normal conditions allow for an oil (but not oil filter) change every 7500 miles. Normal conditions would require an oil filter change at 15000 miles (Not changing the filter at each oil change may be the real stupidity).

The manual states that severe conditions require an oil change every 3750 miles.

For those owners like us who don't really use the oil change idiot light and change the oil and filter sometime after 3000 miles......the light only comes on every other change. ;)
  • mecheng1mecheng1 Member Posts: 161
    I almost forgot:

How to Reset: (the Maintenance Required Indicator)

(with the ignition switch off)"Push the select switch and the reset switch at the same time, (then) turn the ignition switch ON, and hold them more than 10 seconds."

..........atleast that's how it works on the 01's
    "..........atleast that's how it works on the 01's"

And in just about every Honda out there today.
  • lwclwc Member Posts: 1
    After years of the A/C working properly, I'm suddenly
    having exactly the same problem with my 2003 MDX. I've had it in the shop now 3 times. First time they clearly just stuck a thermometer next to it when it was working and told me it was fine. Second time it was actually blowing hot when I brought it in. They replaced an A/C control unit, telling me they often failed. Third time they can't replicate and therefore they say diagnose the problem. Did you ever find a solution to this? Has anyone else had the same problem?
    $234 out the door, problem solved. $100 for the resistor, $115 for labor + tax. The rear ac thing is probably something that could easily be a DIY if you know where to find it.
  • lknslkns Member Posts: 8
    :confuse: I brought my '04 MDX - bought November '03 -(47K - nav. but no DVD) to the dealer for one problem (turns out that I need a new torque converter). The tech plugged in some sort of computer under the dash to get some diagnostic info during a test drive with me. It was only plugged in for a few minutes; when he went to start the car, the battery was dead. He said that it shouldn't go dead so quickly and that I should replace the battery or take the chance that it won't start for me at some time in the near future. Is this true? I had my last car (toyota minivan)for over 5 years with the original battery. If so, is this something that I'm expected to pay for or is it all or partially under warranty?
    Thanks!!
    Lee
    PS- the issue with the torque converter seems to be an ongoing problem with MDXes...
  • daisy10daisy10 Member Posts: 4
    Noticed a distortion in windshield of my 2006 Acura MDX. Dealer replaced it, no problem but new windshield was also distorted. They replaced it again, same result. Then was told this was inherent in the 2006. Wished they'd said that right up front, could have lived with it. Now there is a rattle in dash and unusually loud whirring when A/C fan is turned up. Took it back again, rattle fixed but was told the whirring noise is normal. Pretty loud so not sure that's the case. Only 7500 miles on car. Anyone have windshield problem or extra loud fan noise?
    My 06 has 8,000 on it now.

The windshield cracked the other day while driving to work... caught a small rock.

I am unable to see any distortion in my windshield... and I'm pretty fussy about these things too.

I have a new windshield on order from Acura and is being installed next week, I'll let you know if it's distorted.

As for wind noise, this isn't when the car is moving?
    This happened to my Jeep Grand Cherokee when I had the windshield replaced.
    They had to reseal the windshield again, and that took care of the noise.

If it's a whirring noise when the fan is on, they screwed something up in your dash.
    They need to fix this.

Don't settle, it's a brand new car and you paid for it! :mad:
  • daisy10daisy10 Member Posts: 4
    Thanks for the reply. The whirring noise is coming from behind the vents when the fan is on. It's very loud and does not sound normal. I think I'm going to check out another 2006 on the lot to compare the fan noise and take it from there. Hope your new windshield is distortion free.
    Me too!

My vents are very quiet with the fan on.... your's should be as well.
    My test drive model was also quiet.

The only time I would consider it loud is when the fans are on high, but no louder than any other car I've owned.

Good Luck
  • rustardrustard Member Posts: 1
    My wife just brought our 2001 MDX into the dealer after hearing rattling & feeling shuddering at low speeds (normal driving, decelerating). Recommendation was to replace the torque converter , which the dealer was willing to do as a "goodwill gesture" since we are technically beyond warranty. Sounds like this torque converter problem is too commonplace. Also were told we need sway bar bushings replaced & front engine mount replaced. Why we need something like front engine mount replaced amazes me,