Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura MDX Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• upstatedocupstatedoc Member Posts: 710
    You are able to have warranty work done on your RL at a Honda shop? My local Honda shop won't touch any of my acuras for warranty work. I actually had my first TL in the Honda shop because of faulty breaks. The Honda shop did the work under warranty and then I got a call from acura corporate saying it was a one time deal because the car was unsafe to drive and that they would never authorize more warranty work at a non-Acura shop. :(
  • 10sfan10sfan Member Posts: 136
    That is correct, however it was a about two years ago to the computer control module. If Acura now says "No" to warranty work, its news to me but good to know.
  • jagbarbejagbarbe Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 MDX with 45K km. Recently check engine light came on and basically had no pick up (0-60 in 20sec). Thought it was transmission problem. Had the code read and result was the barometric pressure to low. Was told by acura the catylic converter is bad. A service mechanic at an Acura dealership suggest that I take it home and change the air filter to save the cost. When I open the chamber I found that the air intake sucked up a plastic bag blocking the air through the filter. Took it out and change the filter and problem fix.
  • cpasamcpasam Member Posts: 1
    At 47,000 miles, I started to hear a swishing wind sound at 40-50mph. The dealer heard it and said it was the torque converter. Does that sound right? Not a rumbling noise, but rather like the sound of a blast of wind. Also have some gear selection uncertainty at steady slow speed.

Previously had recall for 2nd gear cooler. Any relation?

Dealer said they would try to get zone office to "do something". Fix it for free would be good. Any precedent?
  • teeitup2teeitup2 Member Posts: 6
    I lost one tire due to construction staple, made two holes close to one another, and tire shop said at 10,000 miles, I needed to replace set of tires, i.e. 2, for all wheel drive operation. Did I get screwed, or is that true at this mileage. I assume there must be some measurement that indicates when different diameter is an issue. Could not find help in time, probably should have called dealer, but urgent nature caused me to say, Go Ahead!
  • CatheCathe Member Posts: 7
    Hi guys, could you please share the experience how to get this vibrating issue fixed?

I just bought the 2008 MDX last weekend and feel sligtly vibrating at the 1st drive back to home at 65mph. I had thought the road condition may attribute to this at the first thought but later i realized that my 8-year old acura integra is solid stable at the same road. then I test it on a newly reworked highway with great road condition, vibrating is very clear at 70mph. So I return back to dealership today and the dealer said the highway speed limit here is 55mph so they can not risk getting ticket and can do a 4 wheel balanced hoping to solve the problem, but after then the vibrating is still there. this is extremely frustrating. i am going to go back to dealership coming days.

any suggestions are welcome. many thanks in advance.
  • CatheCathe Member Posts: 7
    i had the same vibrating problem clearly at 70mph above. just bought this car last weekend with 100miles in it now. but I feel the vibrating at the 1st drive back to home at 65mph. it was my mistake that I did not have a test drive on this car. anyway i went back to dealer and get the wheel balanced but the problem still exist. deal don't want to verify this by taking risk of getting speeding ticket as high way speed limit is 55

any experience and suggestion?
  • thebouncer1thebouncer1 Member Posts: 6
    Hi, All,
    I just got a brand new 2008 MDX and notice it doesn't accelerate smoothly from 1st to 2nd. I've put 900 miles on it.

It's most obvious in rush hour traffic where the engine rev to around 2500~2700 then quickly drop under 2000. It was fairly jerky. When decelerating, I felt it surge a little as if I was pumping the accelerator a bit. It is not to the point of being uncomfortable, merely unpleasant and annoying. I mean, my old Malibu does a better job in terms of this. No problem for the upper gear.

Is this normal? Does anyone experience something similar? I really appreciate any of your feedback.
  • enigma410enigma410 Member Posts: 2
    I got a new 08 in Oct and had the same problem. I took the car to dealer and got it fixed by replacing all four tires. The problem is due to the 'flat spots' of the tires.
  • racer_x1racer_x1 Member Posts: 1
    I just bought my 2009 MDX late December 2008. I have been driving it for a month now and I just noticed the same issue. My wife was driving it around town and noticed that the center console was extreamly hot. It was only hot on the passenger side and inside the console itself. It was soo hot that the DVD cases stored inside the console were soft and hot to the touch and some of the plastic of the DVD case starting to warp. I took the car to the Acura dealer. The service attendant told me he averages about 1 call per week on this same issue. He told me that the exhaust system runs underneath the console and that the more you drive, the hotter it gets. For $50K I would think that this wouldn't happen! Does anyone have any positive resolution to this?
  • msmasseymsmassey Member Posts: 3
    I have an '07 Acura MDX that I purchased from an Acura dealer which is located about an hour from my house. I started out taking my vehicle whenever it needed service back to the Acura dealer. But because of the distance and the price of gas, I have been taking it to a local Honda dealer which is located about 5 minutes from my home. I know Honda makes Acura but was just curious in knowing if anyone else takes their Acura in for service to a Honda dealer. And I've also found that with Honda I'm not paying as much as I would with Acura for the cost of the services.
  • 10sfan10sfan Member Posts: 136
    I have with my RL which is out of warranty as they are much lower in cost. Not with my MDX which is under warranty as I did hear that Acura will not accept a Honda's dealers work in the event of a claim.
    I too have bought all my acuras at a dealer about an hour away, the local honda dealer will not do warranty work. Luckily my MDX's don't need much non-warranty work (that's why I bought them :) ) What have you had to bring your '07 in for?
  • msmasseymsmassey Member Posts: 3
    I haven't had to have any warranty work done yet. I've taken it in for routine maintenance (oil changes, tire rotation, etc.)
    eh, I take my acuras to a jiffy lube I trust, I just stand there and watch 'em do everything. ;)
  • joryanjoryan Member Posts: 15
    I have a 2009 MDX. Daily upon a cold start up and take off, once I reach approx 18-20 mph just after shifting to 2nd gear, I hear a fast knocking in the front end of the car. It lasts about half of a second and it is about 4 or 5 knocks. The knocks are not violent, but somewhat subtle. It is only upon a cold take off. If the car has been repeatedly started and driven and it is warm, it doesn't happen. I have listened and felt for it, but it doesn't happen. It has less than 6K miles on it and I just chaneged the oil at 5K. Nothing is out of whack or functioning abnormally in any way. No fault lights or anything either. Any opinions? I'm am ready to take it in for a check up at the dealer. It is annoying and worrying me. Thanks to anyone that can provide some insight.

Jo
  • hemorsehemorse Member Posts: 34
    I have a 2008 with the exact same issue. It seems to go away after the engine warms up, but is there upon initial start. I first thought something was loose, but that appaerntly is not the case. Mine is a fully loaded tech/sports package. :confuse:
  • joryanjoryan Member Posts: 15
    It's good to know that it isn't some freak thing that only happens to me, like most occurences. Sorry you're having the same issue. Have you gotten it checked out at the dealer or anywhere? I have owned nearly 15 cars in my lifetime from new to 20 year old vehicles and never experienced this before. You have any clues to what it is? I can't stand it since a $40K vehicle should act appropriately all the time, especially when nearly brand new.

Jo
  • ahhaaaahhaaa Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2007 MDX that did the same thing when newer. I noticed it 2-3 times, after a cold start in the morning, either immediately when driving, or within a couple blocks. It was subtle, like you said 4-5 knocks, and seemed similar frequency as a rotating tire, at speeds from 10-30 MPH. I ignored it, figuring it was a new drive train doing its thing and it would either get better or worse. It got better. I don't remember hearing it since. I'll check though.
  • brahda808brahda808 Member Posts: 25
    I got an 08 Sport/Tech. and it does the same when first used in the morning at around 20 mph. I haven't confirmed it with the dealer yet, but I am sure it has something to do with a system check with the anti lock brakes. My work car (Ford Crown Vic.) does the same. Our employer's mech. stated that is just the system checking the anti lock brakes.
    Pretty sure it's the ABS test. Haven't noticed it too much in the MDX, much more prevalent in the TL.
  • smilsomsmilsom Member Posts: 11
    I have a new 09 MDX Tech and I notice when I go over fairly sharp bumps or small potholes a distinct low frequency thunk or thump eminates from the rear of the car. I brought it in to service and nothing was loose, including the spare tire which I thought it could be at first. Then I took out another 09 MDX for a test ride and I heard the same exact noise. I believe I'm probably more sensitive than most to noises but I have a hard time believing that I'm the only one that finds this noise bothersome. I just got rid of an X5 and there were no noises like this. Acura client services called me and asked me to bring the vehicle back as I believe they have had multiple complaints about this issue. It sounds like a rear suspension issue to me but its not a one off problem with my vehicle. Anyone else notice this or have heard of this issue?
    Search the discussion for rear suspension thud, there are multiple posts and multiple remedies, some work, some don't. I think it is inherent in the suspension.
    Anyone know if there's a way to not have all of the radio presets change from one Driver (key) to another? Would prefer all the radio settings to be the same for both keys.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
  • jdhjdh Member Posts: 19
    Can anyone tell me if acura used bridgestone tires on the 2008 MDX vehicle as oem equipment. This is a used vehicle with 2700 miles and is the basic version of the car.

Thanks

JACK
  • sanjaysdcasanjaysdca Member Posts: 269
    I believe base version are bridgestone and tech and above are michelins
  • jdhjdh Member Posts: 19
    THANKS FOR THE INFO. IT WILL HELP WITH MY DECISION.

JACK
  • iwantatliwantatl Member Posts: 25
    08 mdx sport \ent 15k knocking sound while stopping or starting. SB 05-008 ,Acura just replaced the bushings and realigned the car. They told me this is the first one they have seen in St. Louis area. No more knocking :surprise:
  • qgnguyenqgnguyen Member Posts: 1
    I have a 08 MDX Sport Ent. I have the same problems as described "when I go over fairly sharp bumps or small potholes a distinct low frequency thunk or thump eminates from the rear of the car." and several knobs noise at the initial start in 18-20mph. I don't know if this is a faulty or what? Does anyone have the solutions for them yet? Thanks.
    I went to the dealer twice - had a rear damper kit installed as well as some bolts changed in the rear suspsension and the noise is still present. Its a low frequency thunk or thump from the back - even test drove another MDX and the noise is still there. I think this is an inherent design issue with the vehicle.... unfortunately... if all of the new models have this issue I'm surprised not to hear more people complaining about it. Then I think maybe I'm just overly sensitive to it or because I live in NYC with the potholes its more apparent.

Would be interested in anyone elses feedback.
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    In order to increase FE most manufacturers are now extending the coastdown "fuel cutoff" period/time by downshifting "lightly" (no serious level of compression braking incurred {hazardous for FWD and F/awd}) in order to keep the engine revs just slightly above stall point.

So you're likely to feel a bit more coastdown "drag" in these newer FWD and F/awd vehicles than was normal of yesteryear.
  • chris_kchris_k Member Posts: 4
    Just purchased an MDX Tech and love it! Previous car was a Lexus RX350 and whenever I backed up had no problem seeing the rear images on the dashboard screen.

With the Acura, if it is sunny (not even overly bright), it is extremely hard to see the rear images on the dash screen. Has anybody had this problem and are there any ways to adjust the screen? The owner's manual was not helpful.
  • lmitchell30lmitchell30 Member Posts: 1
    I purchased a used 05 MDX and have been experiencing the same thing almost immediately after purchasing. Thud when turning into and out of driveway (sharp turn although I am noticing it more ) also when changing gear from reverse to drive.

Can anyone advise or share their experience what would be some steps to get it repaired or even take legal action?
  • linda31linda31 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2003 Acura MDX. The clips on all 4 air/hent vents on the dashboard are broken. I'm realizing many MDX owners are also having the same problem. It's extremely expensive to replace them through the dealership. Wondering if anyone knows where I can get the parts at a reasonable price and how to remove the 2 outside vents (I already know how to access the 2 middle vents). Can anyone help me. I do live in Canada. Might be a consideration when ordering parts perhaps.
  • dave210dave210 Member Posts: 242
    You might want to try adjusting the screen brightness by turning the navigation dial while the car is in reverse.
  • chuckjepsonchuckjepson Member Posts: 5
    Hello, I have exactly the same issue, bought a new taillight assembly on line for 1/2 price now I need to install it. Did you ever get an answer on how to proceed with removing the old one?
    Thanks
    Chuck
    Why not just use a pencil like i do? Much cheaper and less hassle.
  • linda31linda31 Member Posts: 3
    Yes I think I agree. All the hassle I've gone through trying to fix the problem has only caused further frustration with no resolution without the extreme cost. I like the pencil option for my own sanity. Will spend my $$$ elsewhere.
  • bryantboybryantboy Member Posts: 1
    I several questions and comments. First off, I really like the MDX, for an SUV it handles really well, like some of the other comments I have read, the acceleration is great, the sound system is really hot too. That was a great feat. to me. As a matter of fact the whole entertainment system is great. My questions and concerns start with:

* If there is one, where is the latch/button for the back hatch?

* I heard you can play dvd's up on the front navigator screen? Does this mean the kids can watch their dvd as the adults/passengers in the front watch a separate dvd simultaneously?

* Does anyone feel like the suspension could be more durable? Where you don't feel the railroad tracks and bumps alike so much when going over them?

* Could putting on a bigger and wider tire help take in some of those railroads and bumps I feel when I go over them? I'd like for the ride to be much more softer or at least be able take the bumps much better. I feel less bumps in my 5 series BMW than I do in the MDX.
    Or was this issue fixed in the later MDX models ?
  • gennisgennis Member Posts: 1
    I have a 02MDX that I like as well. We have put a number of kilometers on it since buying it new in late 01. A few years ago it seemed to be getting quite noisy and rough riding over cracks in road, small pot holes and almost anything but perfect road conditions. I could not get any diagnosis from our local dealership but finally got it figured out with my mechanic that does our other vehicles. It came down to replacing $20 bushings on the front and rear of the suspension. However those bushings we put back in were also the manufacturer product and we have just finished replacing them again. This time we did not use them but had another product put in as the Acura bushings had only gone 50% of the original ones. The noises are gone but I'm still feeling that the ride is stiff and the dampening of any road cracks or holes is not that good. I'm reading from other threads that it may in fact be a function of the suspension from the manufacturer. It has been several years since it was new so my recollection is vague about the original ride.
    It sounds like the infamous gas tank thud, I have it in my '04, lots of people have it on their Ody's too. Just fuel sloshing around in the tank, something about the baffles in the tank...
  • sweetadadsweetadad Member Posts: 1
    I'm facing the same thing. I have 600KM on the car and I bought it 3 weeks ago.
    I have senistive ears and that noise is ether getting louder or I am just noticing it more. But on bad days,that noise gives me a headache as you said it eminates and it sounds similar to a subwoofer "booming"

What worries me is that by reading the posts here, it's normal and Acura is doing nothing about it....what a waste of money!!!!
  • sanjaybtsanjaybt Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 Acura MDX with around 79000 Miles. I now have a transmission problem. The car will automatically goto neutral while stopping at Red-Light. I will need to move to D1 and then move back to D5. Acura has recalled Transmission for the very same problem for 2001 & 2002 models.

I went to my dealer yesterday and met with a Service person. He told me that they are having a lot of coplamints from 2003 ACURA MDX custoers with the same transmission problem. After hearing this, I called the Acura Service helpline but they told me that they will not pay for my transmission. I need to goback to the Dealer who is asking for $4800 to fix my transmission problem.

I really feel very helpless as Acura is not helping me for a known problem with their transmissions in 2003 MDX. What should I do? As per the dealer, I am not the only one who is having this problem? This seems to be a known problem. This certainly appears to be a manufacturing defect that Acura is refusing to admit and take care of the issue.

Please advise.

thanks
    SB
  • jayriderjayrider Member Posts: 3,602
    With 80k miles and 6 years on your truck -- you'll get no help on repairs. No manufacturers will fix that unless you bought a chrysler which had a 7/70 power train warranty. Check the price at a top notch independent transmission shop.
  • x5killerx5killer Member Posts: 368
    I see someone already asked this first one but that it wasnt' answered.

Can you watch the movie being played on the dvd RES on the front screen?
    The other person asked if you could watch 2 diff dvds and i dont think that is possible because there is only one dvd slot but I know on my old suv with RES, you just had to have the parking brake on and then you could watch the dvd on the front screen.
    some ppl disabled the parking break kill switch so they could view the dvd on the front screen and also disabled the daytime running lights with taht as well if you didnt' want them as it burned out the bulbs and if it was a cloudy day you could just pur your parking lights on.

I'm sure there is a way to get the dvd playing to show on the front nav screen but it may be the same type thing only when the car is parked and thefore requiring a work around.

speaking of workaround, I'm sure there is a way to disable the seatbelt and before anyone says anything, there are 100's of threads about disabling the seatbelt chime of every car make and model including Acuras most of which get 100's of posts by ppl screaming about how you should wear your seatbelt. noone is saying you shouldnt' but ppl still have the right to know how to disable the chime if they so choose. I know there is a way with the mdx and the info is out there but if it hasn't already been shared in this thread then i'm sure others would be interested as well and not neccessary for anyone to post their opinion on seatbelt use as its just the matter of a chime and nothing to do with ppls opinions on seatbelts one way or the other.

Also, where is the ipod/mp3 player connector in the Tech with Ent.? in the tech its in the center console and the tech with ent. adds a 9 volt (usually indoors) type plug which is handy but then omits the mp3 plug of the TEch.
    If you get Tech PLUS Ent. why does it then take away that feature of the tech just cus it adds the plug of the Ent. I could see if I just got the Ent. then maybe i dont get the mp3 plug that the tech comes with but if you get tech and ent you should get both.

the print ou the car sticker says aux mp3 connection though so where is it. do they just mean the red and white audio plugs behind the center console? cus that isn't an aux mp3 plug, though you can use a red and white audio to single audio ccable to connect to an mp3 player or ipod/iphone but that connection with the yellow video plug is made to connect an aux video device with audio not an mp3 player.

so is there an aux mp3 connection that the window sticker printout speaks of that I am not seeing somewhere? also can you plug a single ended cable to single end for iphone into one of the 3 headphone jacks also behind the center console? maybe that is what they mean but then wouldnt' it say 3 aux mp3 jacks? it sure makes it sound like there is single aux mp3 jack somewhere but i ahvent found it.

also It says something about automatically folding mirros but i see no button to do that either and it seems they fold manually by hand which i was afraid to do at first cus they were stiff and after reading that they were auto on the window sticker I was afraid that folding the mirros in manually would break the motor in them. well if thats the case too late cus i didn't see any switch/button to automatically fold them in.

thats it for now and I guess i need to RTFM but most of my questions are probably not even in the manual.

thanks.
  • dave210dave210 Member Posts: 242
    Open a case with Acura Client Services. You'll be given a representative that will open a case and work with Acura and your dealer in possibly getting this issue resolved.

While there is no set rule or promise I can give, there are plenty of cases where Acura will approve the repair where the customer will either pay nothing, or just labor.

My wife's friend had her 2002 transmission replaced at 85,000 miles for free some two years ago.

You might want to try heading over to the unofficial "acuramdx" site and submitting your issue in the "Transmission Problems" forum. This is a common problem and Honda/Acura knows it.
  • jayriderjayrider Member Posts: 3,602
    congrats on getting the issue resolved on the transmission. Of course, that was two years ago. It's a different world today but worth the effort.
  • shelbytwpshelbytwp Member Posts: 1
    hi
    i know u posted this message about an year ago , but i have the same problem , my radio would not power on , did check the radio fuse in front that is ok , were you able to solve ur problem and any suggestions for me
    thanks
  • bab9916bab9916 Member Posts: 1
    I have had the same problem on my 2008 MDX. I found a technical service bulletin from Acura, dated 2/6/2009, that addresses the issue. They are saying that the probable cause is faulty rear dampers. Corrective action: replace both rear dampers, the damper mounting bolts, and the stabilizer link flange nuts. I have an appt. in 3 days for repair. I will update.

Here is the link to where I found the TSB.

http://www.acuramdx.org/forums/showthread.php?s=cbf8ea89513f094164d0d7dd5b99f96b- &postid=435129#post435129
  • pimmit22043pimmit22043 Member Posts: 1
    I bought used 2005 MDX which is touring,
    Driver side door is not locking/unlocking with remote key. after opening the Drive door manually with key , I can unlock the other door's with the remote key.

can somebody suggest me or anything i need to do other than taking to dealer.

Thanks
    RK :confuse: