Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura MDX Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• wmquanwmquan Member Posts: 1,817
    When Acura introduced the 2003 MDX, they announced that they had redesigned the transmission with a newer, "compact" model.

On another forum a couple of years back, someone got a hold of images from the mechanics manuals and it confirmed the transmission was a new design. The schematics werre much different.

The 2001-2002 MDX transmission was an offshoot of the same design that had problems in other Honda/Acura vehicles. I wouldn't buy a used 2002 over a used 2003 for this reason.
  • pfduckpfduck Member Posts: 1
    Acura has agreed to replace our failed transmission as well. We have a 2002 MDX with 64000 miles. Just had to show we had done all the scheduled maintenence work.
  • harrisburgmdxharrisburgmdx Member Posts: 1
    I took mine back to the dealer. The standard warranty covers rattles for a year. Anyway, the tech who worked on the car told me this is a common issue. One of the drain tubes for the sunroof runs behind that panel and the fluid feed for the rear wiper is routed directly above the sub. He pulled the panel and zip tied the drain hose and the fluid feed and placed insulation around the whole thing. I don't have any problems any more.
  • yippie3yippie3 Member Posts: 1
    I had this same problem with my 2003 MDX at around 21011 miles. The 1st time the dealer told me the same thing, but that did not solve the problem. 2nd time they reset the computer interface control and that help for a couple of week. 3rd time they replace a part(which I can't remember what it was called. Need to lookup my report). That seem to solve the problem for about 3 months. Now it is back again and the same dealer are having difficulty figuring what is causing this problem.
  • jocdocnhjocdocnh Member Posts: 2
    My wife's 05 MDX had new remote starter installed when car was new. Worked fine for a year then starter quit working. Soon after she started with battery going dead. Acura said 99% it was the remote starter. Sure enough. Starter dealer put brand new remote starter in and battery still running dead. Starter dealer says problem may be with car. Anyone with any info on this? Is the remote starter doomed in this car?
  • kcmdxkcmdx Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 MDX Touring and Navigation and am experiencing a high pitch whistle too. It happens at about 60 MPH and can here it on the highway. My dealer couldn't find it but I plan on having the service rep ride with me to here it. Never heard it while at a complete stop. It goes away at low speeds. Did you find anything?
  • desertkevdesertkev Member Posts: 76
    I have an 02 with 53000 miles, had the tran recall done around 30,000. Mostly highway miles on this vehicle. I now hear a "grind" type noise going up small hills between 30 and 40 mph. Is this a transmission problem? I am nervous about this. I took to the dealer once and was told they could not duplicate the problem.
  • inemerinemer Member Posts: 44
    They change "goos neck" for gas tank in my MDX - never had this problem again.
  • bkunbkun Member Posts: 11
    Hi all, My MDX - NightHawk is 3 weeks young. wondering whats good for cleaning / waxing . How do MDX owners clean their vehicles.
  • sbcookesbcooke Member Posts: 2,297
    I don't know how the Acura transmission problems play out, but I have driven a few that have gone bad. I say loss of drive power, whether higher rpms to get similar power or overall resistance would be a better indicator. I have heard of them stopping shifting altogeher. Grind could be a lot of things. I have gotten grinding from struts in car before.

At 53K maybe you could negotiate for a 70 or 100K mile extended warranty due to "known transmission problems"? If your lucky the dealer might go to Acura and plead your case...there is a good chance with the right negotiation you could easily get your warranty extended. You can call the regional customer support rep. If you really think there is an issue fight it. It isn't that hard and you can get a fair trade, extended warranty and they let a potential problem ride to see if it causes an issue.

I wouldn't take word of mouth though...if they say OK then ask for it in writing.

I understand from a co-worker with a TL that disconnecting the battery "resets" the transimission if it stops shifting long enough to get to a dealer.
    I use Meguiars wax/cleaner. It works well to clean and it says protect. I have read say modern cars/finishes don't need wax anymore, but I try to do each vehicle once before winter and if we go on a big family vacation. Meguiars cleans/hides any scratches in the finish very well so you can barely see them...until it wears off in a month and then the scratches are back, but it can clean it up very nicely.

3 weeks old, just get a soft cloth car wash...I think you have at least a year before you need to wax it in my opinion.
  • varmintvarmint Member Posts: 6,326
    I've only put 1,500 or so miles on my new-to-me 2004 MDX-t. Figured I would report in on a few things I've read about here.

Sloshing tank: I was finally able to reproduce this the other day. It required something of a jackrabbit start and equally abrupt stop, but, not only could I hear it, I felt it. Not posting this to antagonize anyone who hears it regularly, but unless it gets worse (how? I dunno) this won't be a problem for me.

I've been more intrigued by the sloshing issue, so I haven't checked for brake clunk. Suffice it to say, I haven't heard it, yet. I'm sorta leary about listening for it. Once you hear this things, you can never "un-hear" them.

Wind noise: I should preface by saying that I'm coming from a 1999 CR-V as my last ute. There are few vehicles less noisy than the old CR-V. Having said that, my MDX suffers from a bit of wind noise at speeds over 60mph. Really odd because this Acura is fairly quiet until I hit 60. It's like someone throws a switch. My 2001 TL (year before they modified the side mirrors) has similar wind noise. But in the TL the sound increases gradually.

Interior rattles: None so far. The vehicle has 35K miles on it. I can force the sub woof cover to vibrate a wee bit with the radio turned way up, but not the same calamity as described by others here. I really have to listen for it. I'm wondering if the folks who have reported this noise have teens who crank the radio way up when they drive (or do so themselves). Perhaps the noise increases over time as the sub cover is subjected to repetitive vibration (?)

MPG: I'm averaging about 20-21 mpg in my normal mixed commute. Got 23.8 on an all highway trip this past weekend. Wonder if it'll go higher when they switch back to the summer blend. I always got about 2 mpg higher in the summer months when drving my CR-V.

Here's a new one (I think)... My oil dipstick is stuck. It feels like it's been soldered to the engine block. I can turn/spin the plastic handle, but the little bugger won't come out. Am I missing some sort of secret handshake or magic word for this thing? I didn't read anything in the OM.
    Well, I just got back from the dealer.....I had the shop foreman ride with me so he could hear the noise - to verify that it exists. Guess what?? Torque Converter - $1700. Anyone experience similar problem? Could it be related to the trans recall???? Acura says they will try to get it covered for me.
  • ss75ss75 Member Posts: 5
    Just bought my MDX 3 days ago...Nice Scratch in the bumper already (paint chipped). Do you recommend a little touch up paint
    :mad:
  • master1master1 Member Posts: 340
    Yes, you can put the touch - up paint from any Acura dealer.
  • gotribegotribe Member Posts: 101
    I have had this problem twice now. The solution for me has been a new driveshaft. Now its happened a second time and the MDX is at the dealer as we speak, getting its second new driveshaft. It was diagnosed when the tech disconnected the driveshaft (to the rear wheels, so the front wheels are still powered) and the noise disappeared. Mine happens at 61-64 mph. Hope this helps
    I run a mobile detail business - and use meguiars. I highly recommend waxing your car after the first car wash. There are too many contaminants in the air today to not protect the finish. I recommend waxing AT LEAST 2x/yr. (Spring and Fall). More often in the southeast b/c of humidity and heat. Also, get a bottle of touch up paint from Acura and immediately fill in chips. As the old saying goes "an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure."
  • syoung1syoung1 Member Posts: 3
    I am glad to see that you were able to convince the dealer to "do the right thing." You know, you have to fight hard with the dealer, but if you push hard enough, they will ultimately provide a new transmission. I question whether it is really a "good will" gesture or a known problem that Acura has not really been willing to admit to. Oh well. Hopefully our new transmissions will last another 100 K.
  • dja1947dja1947 Member Posts: 2
    I am curious about the Check Engine light. I have a 04 MDX and my check engine light as come on for the 5th time. I have brought my car in 4 times within the past 2 months to have them correct it and it still perists. It has gone from tighten your gas cap to replacing the gas cap. The to replacing the cap again along with the filler hose. Then to replacing a solenoid and still I have the check engine light coming on. It will be in this week for the 5th time. I am curious to see whether anything you have had done might replicate my problem. I am beginning to think it might come under the Ct. lemon law. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
    I got back from the dealer Davis Acura in Langhorne PA. They replaced the Torque Converter for free even though I am 4000 miles out of warranty. I asked them if the rest of the trans is going to konk out...they said Acura told them most of the problems were torque converters. So the fix is allegedly to replace the torque converter. If you have an 02, please turn the radio off once in a while and listen carefully for "rumble strip" noise while running b/w 30 and 40 miles an hour. This could signify serious expensive trouble. good luck
    :sick:
  • dzhangdzhang Member Posts: 1
    Just bought 2006 MDX 3 weeks ago, there is thud noise when I brake. went to 2 dealers to check this problem, both said it is normal and noise comes from brake pad shifting. Can't be convinced. Any thought or experience?
  • dja1947dja1947 Member Posts: 2
    I have brought my 04 MDX in to the shop 5 times in the last 2 months for the Check Engine Light. Tomorrow will be the 6th time. They can not figure it out even after replacing half of the evap system along with 2 gas caps and filler hose. I think it is a lemon! :lemon:
  • markinmainemarkinmaine Member Posts: 1
    We have a 2002 MDX with 39,000 miles and agree about feeling every bump, especially going over bridge and expansion joints. Our car has Michelin Cross Terrain tires and I have also often wondered if there were better tires to help this. Has your question received answers? I couldn't find any. Thanks.
  • richillmanrichillman Member Posts: 2
    ok, honda uses a floating caliper system. the brake pads will shift or float, especially if you go from forward to reverse or vice versa. yes, it makes noise, but the brakes don't rust tight or freeze into a locked position. i have 60k miles, and just checked the brakes. they look like new. live with the noise, it is normal, and honda engineers know what they are doing. also, you can use pads for the odyssey (like an 2002) for the MDX. i guess they use the same brakes.
  • richillmanrichillman Member Posts: 2
    i noticed a lot of debris when changing the cabin air filter, which is a big air filter, located below the glove box. there was a lot of leaf parts, maple tree whirl-a-gigs, and stems and stalks in the filter, and in the A/C evap coil, which is next to the filter. it seems to me, that the air intake has very large openings, that let all this trash into the system. i took a piece of plastic window screen, cut it with a scissors to fit over the intake grill (under the hood near the windshield)and used some clear silicone caulk to "tack" the screen into place.
    WORKS GREAT. you still should eyeball the intake area to check for stuff clogging the area.
  • nmpnmp Member Posts: 19
    "question - when i take my foot off the accelerator, say to coast up to a light, I feel a noticable drag from the transmission (in D5)........quite a bit different from our other cars, an Expediton and an Avalon..........is this normal? "

I just bought a 2006 Black/Saddle/Ebony Touring and noticed the same behavior. It is obviously downshifting. First I thought it was just air drag as the MDX cuts a big slice through the wind at highway speeds. But I have also noticed it at slower speeds (30mph) where drag would not be such a strong factor. Anyone have any comments?

Btw, it is a nice truck all around. First impressions are that the interior is not as meticulously built with quality trim as my 2001.5 VW Passat. It also does not feel as structurally tight or rattle free. But the seats are far nicer, the ride is quieter, and no doubt the MDX will statistically have better long-term reliability. The MDX/Honda Pilot are the best compromises as family SUV's.
    I don't notice it on my '02, however if you tap the brake and then coast that seems consistent with the hill decent control.
  • kiefer1kiefer1 Member Posts: 7
    I have noticed the same lurch or downshift when taking foot off accelerator. I believe there are other posts also describing this.
  • krmccoykrmccoy Member Posts: 2
    I was told in December that my torque converter on my MDX is also going out. My MDX is a 2001. Is this an a big problem with MDX?? Do you think I should contact Acura?
  • krmccoykrmccoy Member Posts: 2
    I was told my Torque Converter is also going out. This seems to be a very big problem with is cars.
    Well, I am afraid it may be a big problem. Get them to repair it, do your trans service as scheduled. And hope for the best. I think it will affect '02 and '01's - not '03's+. Ask the dealer if there is a TSB on it. Let us know how it ends up.

:(
  • mdx2002mdx2002 Member Posts: 1
    Hi inemer; I have the same problem but was not sure what it is. I wonder if the dealer charge you for this work? I am thinking to order a goose neck and have it installed myself.
    Thanks
    Has anyone upgraded their stereo? speakers? in the MDX? I would like to get MP3 capabiity in the truck and was wondering about putting better speakers in it.
  • varmintvarmint Member Posts: 6,326
    Not exactly the ultimate high-tech solution, but you can spend 20 bucks and get a cassette-style adapter which will allow you to plug in an MP3.
    Quite a few folks have upgraded the speakers with good results. Trick is finding low-ohm speakers to replace the awful Bose ones.

For adding MP3 capability, Acura just introduced their iPod link but the jury's still out on whether it works on MDX's earlier than 2006 or 2005. It does let you control the iPod somewhat via the steering wheel controls, though there is apparently no display capability (e.g. doesn't show on the trip computer of nav screen).

Most folks have bought the Blitzsafe adapter (http://www.blitzsafe.com/) and done a DIY install so they can plug in their iPod. On another forum, there are some pretty detailed photos of two self-installation methods. The preferred one seems to be the "Not an Ashtray" method, where you don't even need to remove any of the plood to get to the connection with the head unit (you do need to remove some plastic trim). Folks have routed the input into the center console where the iPod resides and gets charged up (requires drilling two small holes). There are photos that show how to run the cable without anything showing, a very elegant install that only takes a few hours depending on skill level.

With the Blitzsafe, you can't control the selection of the iPod with the vehicle's controls, just the volume. But most folks seem quite happy with it, and it's relatively cheap. The sound is clearly better than using an FM modulator or the cassette adapter (which also results in cables hanging out).
  • killerj1killerj1 Member Posts: 1
    I am considering buying a used 2003 MDX with 15,000 miles on it. The dealer has replaced the front tires (the backs are original and have 7/32 of tread left) and the dealer has also redone the front brakes. My question is what kind of tire and brake life are MDX owners seeing? The salesman told me that owners see 30k for both. If thats true I'm struggling to understand why they would have to replace the front tires and brakes at 15,000 miles. Any advice/comments?

Thanks
  • gotribegotribe Member Posts: 101
    Well I have an 03 MDX with the Michelin Cross Terrains and replaced them at 50,000 miles, pretty typical according to the tire dealer. Could have easily gotten 5k more but not in winter. Also at 50k still on original brake pads front and rear with probably 70/30 city/highway mix. Dealer says brakes have another 5k left. So...its possible the 03 you're considering has OE tires other than Michelin that are not as long wearing, or the prior owner didnt rotate them--the fronts wear a lot faster than the rears. As far as the brakes, only explanation could be prior owner was real hard on them, or due to sitting a lot with little use, front rotors got rusty and caused vibration. I'm only guessing. Given the concerns you have, I'd have the MDX checked out by an independent garage familiar with Acuras, or another Acura dealer.
  • jsw216jsw216 Member Posts: 1
    I was out food shopping the other night, and when I got into my MDX (w/ just 250 miles on it...), the first thing I did was lock the doors using the lock button on the driver's door. I'm 9 mos pregnant so I want to be sure I'm being safe since I can't run very fast...

Once I locked the doors, I turned on the car, drove home and into the garage, turned off the car, and pushed the lock button up. The locks on the door went up and immediately went back down. This continued to happen each time I hit the lock button. I even re-started the car, drove around my circle, and then tried again when I came back home. No luck. I could not lift the lock myself- nothing. I finally used the lock button on the front passenger door and was able to climb out that door.

Has anyone else experienced this? I am going to call the dealer- just thought I would check in here first. I have been able to replicate the problem if I go through the same sequence of events described above. Thanks!
    Thanks.

I am emailing them with some questions...i.e. does the CD player still work with the MP3 adapter/player hooked up. The Cassette option isn't very good, I have used it before for plain CD Players back in the 80's and the sound is poor. FM Modulation? I am not sure? I will get the music selection, but not the sound quality...not sure if it matters while driving though.
    hmmm...I have never heard of that before. Sounds like an electrical short or cross wiring.
    Yes, with the Blitzsafe the stock CD changer should continue to operate. You press the "CD" button to cycle between the CD changer and the Blitzsafe input.

I understand it also works with the single CD player as well. The only compatibility issue I'm aware of is with RES equipped units, but they provide their own inputs.

The Blitzsafe input will sound better than either FM modulation or the cassette adapter.
    I have an 02. 56,000 miles, original tires and brakes. Probably got at least another 10000 on mine... 60% highway 40% city. good luck.
    Hi, has anyone's dash light for the temp control (little red and blue buttons above the NAV) gone out? Mine just did and was wondering how to replace them. Thanks.
  • pwmpcipwmpci Member Posts: 1
    Engine began by hesitating, check engine light came on. I shut it off & waited approx. 1 hour.. Restarted, check engine light not on, car ran great. 5 miles down the road, check engine lighta as well as the VRM-4 (4wheel drive )light came on and the car began bucking badly. I was worried to get home. car never stalled out.
    Local all makes shop ( Naples, Fla. Acura dealer 2 weeks out for appt.)checked for fault codes & said that 3 cylinders were misfiring. The car sat for the morning there waiting it's turn to be looked at. The tech said that he found a vacuum hose off, reattached it, car ran great.
    We then put approx. 500 miles on a trip. car ran great. Back in Naples, same exact problem occurs. Car bucks badly, both dash lights back on. I an concerned to drive it. I might have to rent a car until the Acura dealer can fit it in. Any thoughts? Pete M.
  • ptgalboptgalbo Member Posts: 3
    I have the same problem with 2005 MDX. Went back to the dealer and they did not know. If you find a solution, please post.
  • 2002_mdx2002_mdx Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 MDX that has just over 65,000 miles. For the past two months, the transmission had been slipping but not enough to register a code. (I had the recall performed at about 35,000) Finally it stranded me and finally registered a code and the check engine light came on. Acura replaced the transmission. It was covered under extended warranty but Acura took care of the balance of the rental car, etc. I have no complaints with their service. . . BUT now the car makes a "wind-up sound" and another constant clicking/rattle which sounds like it's coming from the front left. Has anyone experienced this problem? It wasn't there before. :confuse:
    I have been having a funny sound like metal clanking. I had torque converter replaced after having the trans recall done.
  • alex23alex23 Member Posts: 1
    I purchased a 2004 MDX last weekend (24,000 miles). Last night the same thing happened to me. I inserted the key & cycled the ignition twice. After that it let me out, but I'm not sure if that is what did the trick.
  • fsudreyerfsudreyer Member Posts: 28
    just a thought. Change gas station in Naples. Sometimes bad gas will make an engine mis-fire.
  • imegaryimegary Member Posts: 6
    On 2 occasions the key cannot be removed. Take to dealer and they manage to remove it without doing any corrections to mechanics they just keep on trying until they are successful.

You can be sure every effort is made to remove it before bringing it to dealer. Any suggestions