Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Acura MDX Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• koolkillerkoolkiller Member Posts: 12
    Hi Guys,
    Picked up the car last night. It is a nice car with all the fancy features. One thing I did notice though it's not as quiet as my old Lexus RX, it's not noisy but just not as quiet.

When we test drive MDX Tech at the dealer's, the Grey MDX tech has cargo net/cover installed. We decided to get a black one, but I found out the cargo net/cover is not installed. I called the dealer back and he said it's not included with Tech package. Is this true? Do you have the cargo net with your MDX tech?
    Thanks for the clarification.
  • mar1an1mar1an1 Member Posts: 38
    Are there any truths about the 2011 Acura MDX Diesel option?
    TIA :)
  • fitzramfitzram Member Posts: 41
    Hey Koolkiller. The cargo net is not included with the tech package. Shop around and you'll find one in the neighborhood of $30. $42,060 including destination is $909 under dealer invoice. That's a really, really good price if the dealer didn't hit you with any markup 'fees'. Enjoy your MDX!
  • tunractunrac Member Posts: 19
    edited August 2010
    If I am not mistaken, the true cost of the car to the dealer (invoice minus holdback) is around 41900; this might vary a hundred here or there depending on the regional advertising cost Acura charges the dealer.

Therefore, at 42060, the dealer made very little profit; a great deal for you. Sometimes a dealer may offer a car below their true cost to meet some overall goal of vehicles sold. If I remember correctly, Honda/Acura also allocates more vehicles to a dealer that sells more (i.e. sell more this month and you will get more next month). This is advantageous to the dealer who wants more models on the lot.

Once 2011 MDX get on the dealer's lots (Sept), Acura might give further incentives to dealers and you might see even better deals.... but have fewer choices in terms of color, etc..
  • tunractunrac Member Posts: 19
    edited August 2010
    To repeat from another post above, once 2011 MDX models show up physically on a dealer's lot, Acura might put out dealer incentives to move remaining 2010 models. This may be with or without an extension of current financing offers, or maybe a sweetened financing offer might be the incentive. It all depends on how much inventory is left after the production switch to 2011.

Unlike last year, with a pending MMC to the model for 2010, there is no major changes for 2011. Also, if you read the news releases from Acura, the MDX has been selling much better this year compared to last year. So the incentive might be lower this year.

So September will probably bring better deals, but there may be fewer choices in terms of color in your area.
  • koolkillerkoolkiller Member Posts: 12
    Thanks for your info on the cargo net. I don't think I'll need it but just want to know if it's included or not.
    the final offer I got is actually $41,100+$860 d/h. And the dealer fees are pretty normal imo so I think I got a pretty good deal.

After signing all the paper, I asked the sales guy why they are selling it at a low price since mine is about 1k below invoice price. He said the dealer got some extra incentives and they all expired midnight. that's why I have to come in that night to close the deal.
  • sbarciasbarcia Member Posts: 1
    Can anyone help? A dealer told me the last 2010 allocation for the MDX is coming within 2 weeks. I am thinking I should wait. Any advice?
  • bcngatorbcngator Member Posts: 2
    I would like to thank everybody for the information posted in this forum. This information has allowed me to get the following deal on a new 2010 MDX w/ Tech Package:

2010 MDX Tech - $41,652
    Destination – Included
    Dealer Fees - $599
    Trade In – None

Towing Package (Hitch & Harness) – Included
    All Season Floor Mats – Included
    Wheel Locks – Included

Sales Tax (6.75%) - $2,574
    New Tag - $450
    Doc Stamps - $158

Total Out The Door - $45,433 (1.9% over 60 months)

I will be purchasing sport running boards and a cargo cover directly from bernardiparts.com. I countered the $599 dealer fees with the towing package (~$900 Installed) due to the amount of work to self-install versus the running boards.

I chose the Grigio/Ebony color combination and the dealer had to overnight the vehicle from South Florida in order to close the deal for month end. I had a lower price of $44,900 out the door from a different dealership on a Black Pearl/Ebony MDX Tech they had on the lot; but I really wanted the Grigio/Ebony and they could not bring one in for this price nor could they match the $45,433 from the other dealership. I was negotiating with four dealers simultaneously on this deal; two in Jacksonville, one in Gainesville, and one in Ocala.

I have had the vehicle four days now and love it. It appears there really is truth to “end of the month deals.”

Thanks again to all of you that have posted your numbers in this forum.
  • billybladebillyblade Member Posts: 4
    edited August 2010
    This is a quote I just received for a MDX/Tech 2010 from Joe Bullard of Mobile, AL
    This seems real high... I wanted roof rails and running boards added to MDX.
    Here is the quote: This is a Cash Price Quote

Base $45,108.00
    ProPack 495.00 TriFold Cargo Mat, All season mats, Wheel Locks
    Roof Rails 492.00
    Running Boards 979.00

Total Sell Price $ 47,074.00

Doc Fee 579.00
    Alabama Tax 2,263.00 4.75%
    Title Fee 16.50

Total Price $ 49,938.50

I think this is a real high price. Whate price should I start with in dealing with this dealer?

Thanks for all your advice and help

BillyBlade
  • islandtractorislandtractor Member Posts: 14
    Diesel options have been promised by both Acura and Mazda (for the CX9) for several years but neither has come through. There must be some pretty big start up costs and the potential market size in the US just doesn't seem to justify it. Too bad as I would buy either an MDX or CX9 with diesel in a flash. Today and for 2011 your only SUV/CUV diesel choices are the Mercedes ML/GL or the VW Toureg (and Jetta).
    Hey Billyblade.
    I agree with your instincts. This dealership is not doing you any favors with this offer. The dealer invoice on an MDX w/technology is $42,969 including the destination charge. And that 'document fee' of $579 is nothing more than a markup for the dealer.

You mentioned that you wanted the roof rails and running boards, but also listed the tri-fold cargo mat, all season mats and wheel locks. Did you want those items or are they listed because the dealer wanted to sell you his 'propack'? If you want those items I just priced them at Bernardi for $284 total before shipping.

There are various running boards and they are all in the $450 range for the parts only (except the chrome ones run about $80 higher) , and obviously need installation. Roof rails come in black $166 and silver $530, again these are parts only prices and would need installation. I got my dealer to throw in black roof rails for free (installed) when negotiating my deal. I picked it up last Saturday and paid invoice, but I've seen some others here who were able to do better than that.

I'm not in your area, but I'm sure you can find some posts from others in your part of the country to see what the market bears down there.

Good luck!
  • kiddingyoukiddingyou Member Posts: 30
    edited August 2010
    wow, one of the best deals recently. fitzram, could you please tell me the name of the dealership? I'm trying to get one in Tampa Bay Area.
    Thanks!
  • mar1an1mar1an1 Member Posts: 38
    thanks for your response. if memory served me right, i read an article on this thread somewhere stating that acura may provide diesel option for the 2011 mdx. it was a very recent article too. they have been mum-ed about it but provide several good incentives, ones that we have never seen before (financial cashback and the APR). i think i also just recently saw MDX commercial promising such on tv here in the NY-NJ tristate area.
    previously, whenever acura was going to come out with new cars, they keep a tight lid on it until the car comes out. example: RDX and ZDX. they just keep it as concept vehicles info for the longest time. i would go to the dealerships, and each one of them would not say a thing and say that they didn't know when it would come out (when in reality, it was coming out in the summer).
    so i'm just wondering if anybody has any info on the 2011 or 2012 acura mdx diesel. i know that honda makes diesel engines anywhere else in the world and perhaps previously in the USA. if there is a chance that MDX is coming out with diesel engine, i'd rather hold out for the diesel engine.

BTW, we test drove AUDI Q7 TDI and the Benz Bluetec. Performance is horrible... average at the most, perhaps that's why the demand for these cars isn't that high. BMW 335D on the other hand rocks.... unfortunately, it only comes with the rear wheel drive and not AWD.

Any info on the Acura MDX diesel will be greatly appreciated as always. Just need to know the timing :P
  • hmd2hmd2 Member Posts: 6
    Billy,

We have family in Mobile. You really need to call Birmingham (King Acura). It would be worth the drive to save 3,000! I talked with Mobile and they would not deal. You could also call Ray in Athens, GA. He might drive you the car.
    We bought another car from him great guy
  • dvricedvrice Member Posts: 73
    So a question for the "end of month" purchasers:

Did you purchase on July 31st, the very last day of the month? Deciding if I should contact dealers now or wait until August 31st or Septemebr 30th.
  • smitty1krrsmitty1krr Member Posts: 19
    You could try Regal in Lakeland too.

I bought there in Feb. as Crown/Ferman were still working off deposits and sticker.
  • billybladebillyblade Member Posts: 4
    Thank you Fitzram for your information.
    Bought a MDX Tech / Burnt Cherry color today from Tim Smith Dealer in Fort Walton, Fl

The price included the mats, cargo mat, wheel locks, and sports running boards
    for an out the door price of $ 45,244 including Admin fee $ 200 plus tax and title...

Picking up the car tomorrow...
  • kiddingyoukiddingyou Member Posts: 30
    Thanks smitty1krr, I will keep that in mind.
  • wkk_1999wkk_1999 Member Posts: 3
    bcngator,

Thanks for the info.

I have a questions regarding Acura finance.

How much is your loan processing fee?
    IF your OTD is $45,433, and you did not put down any down payment, your dealer or Acura added any loan processing coast? I've never financed via dealer, and I don't have any idea. I would like to know any standard loan processing fee applied to the principal or not?

thanks for your info!

Regards,
  • bcngatorbcngator Member Posts: 2
    wkk_1999

There is no "loan processing fee" as such. This fee is part of dealer "delivery fees", "prep", "electronic filing fees", or another name dealers get creative on for the purpose of profit.

The Acura Financial Services Contract is comprised of five (5) primary sections:
    1) Cash Price
    2) Down payment
    3) Total Unpaid Cash Balance (1 - 2)
    4) Amount paid to other on your behalf
    5) Amount Financed (3+4)

The loan processing fees you asked about falls under section four (4) and Acura calls them "Pre-Delivey Services" which is where the dealer enters their dealer "delivery fees", "prep", "electronic filing fees", etc..

Something to pay attention to is most dealers do not include the "doc stamps" as part of their out the door numbers to you when negotiating if you do not ask. They usually appear when appear when you are in the finance office inking your deal. The dealer works off a "buyers order form" which is slightly different to the lending institutions "retail installment contract" which has the line specifically for doc stamps.

Instead of just giving the dealer $599 in dealer delivery fees (this includes the fees you originally asked about) which is pure profit (for the most part) I asked the dealer to offset the fees by including the towing package (~900 installed) at no cost. I was going to purchase the towing package from BernardiParts.com on my own anyway and this way we both got something for $599. I did not bring this up until after I got the price of the vehicle itself down to $41,652.

Sorry for the long answer to a short question; hopefully I answered it.

bcng8or
    BCNGATOR,

Thanks for your information. This is what I'm exactly looking for !!!!!
    I really believe not that many people actually know how dealer trying to make profit not only car price but all those hidden costs.

Regards, wkk_1999
    I saw the Honda Clearance Event has started. Hoping Acura starts the same soon. Any news on incentives coming?

It may be a long shot, but has anyone ever grouped together to offer to buy multiple vehicles to negotiate a lower price. For example, could 4 or 5 of us in a similar geographic region try to purchase as a group to get a lower price? I would be willing to travel a significant distance for the right price. Right now, I am looking at traveling to the Washington DC area since this region looks to have the lowest prices.
  • newchefnewchef Member Posts: 3
    Dealer quote me a MDX/base 2010 from VA, Is it a good deal now or I should wait...

Base $38,800

Doc Fee 579.00
    PA Tax 2,263.00 6%

Thanks everyone... I love this forum.

Thanks for all your advice and help
    newchef,

What about the destination charge? if this quote from the Pohanka Acura?

Regards,
    yes, you are right, Pohanka!! Destination charge included in 38800.
    That's about as low a price as I have seen posted on this forum for a base model. I expect that price is about as low as you will get until an incentive comes out from Acura or the dealer needs a sale toward the end of the month to hit a goal.
  • mtgoanchormanmtgoanchorman Member Posts: 13
    have a dealer in PA match the price and you can save $500 on the doc fee....i live in colorado and refuse to buy a car in state when the surrounding states have a $400 less doc fee....never pay a doc fee over $100
  • firstmdxfirstmdx Member Posts: 8
    newchef...

not a bad deal but you can do better at Pohanka. I purchased a base model there in May (near month end) for $39000 plus $399 doc. fees. They included body side molding in the deal. Since we are very close to model year end I believe you could get a better deal than this with them. You would probably need to be there in person so they know you are not just shopping them. If you live close enough to invest a trip to eyeball negotiate and then a followup to take delivery, or one long day to wait for them to prep the car (if it's in inventory) then you could save some additional $$$.
  • daryllaffdaryllaff Member Posts: 5
    I just got a quote from an Arizona dealer through the Costco program for an Advance package.

They quoted me $49364 after destination charges, but before dealer added packages. That became $49976 with tint, door trim and wheel locks.

That compares to $52715 before dealer added packages, or $53327 with the dealer packages, so a little more than $3000 off MSRP..

They're still making a lot on this, considering that their price after holdback is $46808 (according to Consumer Reports). I'm thinking about it.

Daryl
  • kdash22kdash22 Member Posts: 1
    edited August 2010
    Hello, I'm thinking of buying a 2010 MDX...right now I have a Chicagoland dealer (Naperville) giving me a 2010 w/tech price of $46710 out the door. This dealer already beat out another dealer in downstate Illinois. Is this a good deal? He said "it's just $100 over invoice" at 43,219 +TTL. What should I aim for in regards to the invoice price?
  • jm73233jm73233 Member Posts: 3
    Just purchased the 2010 MDX w/ Advance Package for $49,077. $35 doc fee in Omaha.

Truecar.com lists dealer cost at $47,108 they factored in $300 for advertising costs.
    Firstmdx, Thanks!! I will try to negotiate with Pohanka after I come back from my vacation. Some PA dealer said they can't match that price which they think is 1000 below their cost. I will try some other dealer tomorrow.
  • minhlu85minhlu85 Member Posts: 3
    I'm in Boston and I'm looking for MDX advance pkg with some exterior optional body side molding, and remote engine stater system. Can anyone tell me what is the best offer? and any dealers have a great deal.
    I checked online MSRP of advance pkg + destination : $52.715
    option with body side molding : $246
    remote engine stater system:$362
    remote engine start attachment: $166
    Total as Configured: $53.489
    Has anyone have a similar configuration?
    Thank you
  • mrxismynamemrxismyname Member Posts: 1
    Closed the deal today on a NEW 2010 MDX Tech Package with a bunch of installed options: Advance Running Boards, Door Edge Guards, All-Season Floor Mats, Tri-Fold Cargo Tray, Cargo Cover, Cargo Net, Body Side Molding, Black Roof Rack, Wheel Locks

Grecio Exterior with Taupe Interior

Total Configured Price $48,199 (Tax, Tags, All fees included) plus the 1.9% financing for 60 months

I am feeling pretty good about the deal. But considering I just spent the past few days negotiating, curious if I really did or if they just wore me down and I got took? Feedback would be appreciated if its a good deal?
    Thanks.
    how much did you down payment for the MDX and payment for each month?
    what is the price without those option. I just want to estimate the price before I go to the dealer. If monthly payment is too high, i may not afford it.
    Thanks
  • pakman3000pakman3000 Member Posts: 2
    Any input on whether this is a good deal would be welcome:

1st offer-08 MDX w/ Tech/Pwr Liftgate, 40K mi.

Price:$32532.10
    Doc Fee: 55.00
    Sales tax: CA 9.75% 3177.24
    License fee: 521.00
    Smog Wv: 8.00
    Total: $36,293.34

2nd offer-08 MDX w/ Tech/Ent, 40K mi, sport running boards,blk roof rails
    Price: $35K flat (down from 35,990 asking)
    OTD: $38,495

Thanks.
  • rabbijmarabbijma Member Posts: 4
    I live in Utah and there are only 2 Acura dealerships here. Best price I have for tech pkg, w/rubber mats, tri fold cargo tray, lifetime oil change, dest. chg, all dealer prep but excluding TTL is $43,800. That was on Saturday. I could easily wait till the end of either Aug or Sept.

I welcome anyone's thoughts.
  • sparklelovesparklelove Member Posts: 11
    edited August 2010
    ok I just went to the acura website, and they are showing the 2011 mdx, and for sum reason the base model on 2011 is $300 over (MSRP) than the 2010 model and I can't find the diffenerce btween the both of them, can someone plz help me out here, cuz I'm lost on what to buy :blush: I really want the Tech pkg, but trying to see which one to get 2010 or 2011
    Hi sparklelove.
    Price increases for the same product are to be expected. $300 seems like a pretty small increase (less than 1%). That doesn't mean that there are no differences between the two different model years, but I wouldn't conclude that there must be an additional item on the 2011 model because of the price increase.
    Is it a good deal for MDX tech pgk included destination with $42800?
    tax is 6.25%.
  • daryllaffdaryllaff Member Posts: 5
    edited August 2010
    I finally closed on this car, at $1000 less than the Costco price: $48364. Of course, there were $600+ of dealer add-ons, tax, license, etc., but drove away spending just over $55,000. I think with the 2011's coming soon, they are more ready to deal.

I did run into problems with the Finance guy who flat-out lied to me about the availability post-sale of the Acura Care, and about the coverage of the included 4/50 warranty. He claimed that there were gaps that the extended warranty covered, but that's not true. Both warranties cover the same items, the extended just pushes it out to a longer period.

But the manager was responsive when I complained about these tactics and all-in-all I'm satisfied with my buying experience.

Learning how to use all the features is the next challenge!
  • rabbijmarabbijma Member Posts: 4
    I posted above: I'm in Utah w/only 2 Acura dealers. For tech I'm at $43,800 plus TTL. So, you are $1000 less...
  • sehorn79sehorn79 Member Posts: 7
    Just received a quote from internet sales mgr local Acura for $44,491 including destination.

$ 44491.00 Purchase Price Including Destination
    $ 2669.46 Pa Sales Tax
    $ 177.96 Supplemental Tax based on MPG
    $ 142.65 PA Motor Vehicle
    $ 189.00 Doc. Fee
    $ 47669.96 TOTAl Out the Door.
  • sjthomassjthomas Member Posts: 61
    I received the same exact quote from Precision Acura in Princeton. 44491 for the Tech + RES package.
    that's exactly where i got the quote...i think we could get more from them as that was their first offer. I am also quoting Elite Acura and Boardwalk Acura (which I tossed out of the running b/c their sales guys were too aggressive and seemed sleezy over the phone).
    In fact Springfield Acura quoted me about $400 less than that for the same options.
    I am still debating whether to buy the 2010 or wait for the 2011. Someone was saying if we buy at the end of each quarter, we might get a good deal. Not sure how far that is true.
    I know there is no difference from the outside but I guess there must be some changes in the inside which the dealers are not telling either because they don't know or they want to get rid of 2010 inventory.

I am planning to keep the SUV for like 5 years. Not exactly sure if I have to buy 2010 or 2011.

Any help?
    I'm leaning toward the the 2010, with little change for the 2011 model, i feel dealers will be more aggressive pushing the '10s. I told myself the only way I would get the '11 is if there is any bigger type of changes internally. Both Acura and dealerships have all the incentive to unload the 2010, so the timing is perfect for us right now, where for the '11s I just don't feel like we'll be able to get a solid deal for a few months until they start getting data on vehicle sales. For me I need an SUV (1 newbie = 2 kids now) so I'm looking to get into to the MDX sooner. After doing my research for past 4-6 months, i figure now is the time as I wanted to wait at least until the pricing and details were released for the '11.
  • hellousahellousa Member Posts: 6
    I'm also waiting for cash incentive if there is any this year to get the MDX2010 ADV/ENT. I don't see the cash incentive offered last year. So i need to take a decision soon before the finance/lease offer expired.

Has anyone have any news on the cash incentive.
    I was in the same ship waiting for the 2011's to arrive before purchasing the 2010's. This is the first time I am buying a new one and have no prior experience. Do you think they won't push deals for 2011's once they arrive? How much below MSRP can they go on 2010's now that the 2011's are on their way? And how much below MSRP can these dealers do on the 2011's once they arrive?
  • tsmythtsmyth Member Posts: 1
    edited August 2010
    bought black//parchment mdx/tech w adv.runnibg boards and body side mldgs...went to bernardi and prime walpole...bought from prime..Bernardi dragged heals and called me 1 week after i bought to accept my final offer with "consideration"..Snooze =lose.sticker 48,200...204 lexus rx with 57k miles..pd $30,500 otd taxes,lic/title/reg/sales/doc...ellen gallagher @ prime walpole was easy to work with went in ,verified car available,they gave offer...went home..mulled and fine tuned my wants..email final otd offer..done....doc was 250.00..askthem to include body side mkdgs(300. installed)negates their doc fee IMHO.picked up friday 8/6/10 :blush: €