Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Acura MDX Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• kvrao171717kvrao171717 Member Posts: 3
    Is today the last day for 09.% APR Financing?
  • c80c80 Member Posts: 10
    @abhi2012: I don't think I am allowed to post the name of the individual I dealt with, but keep working with Serramonte. They were pretty fair.
    I called up the local Acura dealer in the twin cities and they informed that the 0.9% APR is extended untill end of this month ONLY for MDX models.

All others who bought MDX+Tech package recently: What is the best way to negotiate the price. The dealer is giving me a 42.5K price +TTL for a MDX+Tech package. Do you guys feel that there is still more room for negotiating? Please advice.
    @kvrao171717:

I entered a Twin Cities zip code on the Acura site for "current offers" and it shows:

Special APR offer valid on new and unregistered 2012 MDX Models from July 10, 2012 through September 4, 2012, to customers who qualify for the Acura Financial Services Super Preferred or Preferred credit tier through participating dealers. Must take new retail delivery on vehicle from dealer stock by September 4, 2012.

You might want to check with other dealers, if possible.

As for the price, keep working on negotiations. I was able to get an offer of $40k (and then also got the $1000 loyalty credit) for a MDX w/ Tech.
  • specifionespecifione Member Posts: 7
    Iam planning to buy either advance or advance+entertainment..iam from Tampa..does any one have buying experience in Tampa..any suggestion on dealers? the least quote(online quick quote request) i got is $49,247(for adv+entertain) and $2,480 7yr./100k mile AcuraCare, All-Season Protection Package I $496.

If some one can provide their experience in tampa or florida regarding price paid.. that would be helpful..Thanks in advance..
  • acura_stlacura_stl Member Posts: 3
    Purchased new 2012 MDX with running boards and roof rack installed without cross bar for $37,300 (includes destination fee) last month from Radley Acura. DCH Montclair in NJ couldn't even come close. None of the two dealers in my hometown can touch that price, so I flew down to Reagan National, got picked up by my salesperson, went to the dealer, and was out the door in 2 hours. The drive back home in my new MDX was a dream. I have a 06 TL but it doesn't compare to the long haul drive that I had.

All of my negotiation was done over the phone prior to buying my plane ticket. A lot of trust on both sides were on hand as not only did I had to purchase a plane ticket but they needed to get my vehicle ready (accessories installed) by the time I landed in VA - and it was. I had the best car buying experience ever at this dealer. I've seen a couple or so complaints by folks about Radley on this forum but I believe if you do your homework and know what you are doing plus going in and not being a complete tool, then you will get treated well. I think that can be said on most things as a consumer nowadays. Anyhow, my folks saw my SUV and liked it so much that they went to the same salesperson and dealer a few days later to buy a new MDX Tech.

Just contact the internet salesperson (initials J.R.) at Radley and he will take good care of you.
  • smitty1krrsmitty1krr Member Posts: 19
    I bought mine at Regal in Lakeland. They had better pricing than Crown or Ferman. Included dealer fee in price and the profit package was optional instead.

After owning, I would pass on the all weather mats. Very hard to get/keep clean.
    Makes the interior look dingy.
  • th201101th201101 Member Posts: 2
    edited July 2012
    For those who bought at Pohanka.. did you guys pay the tax at the dealership if u were out of state? my understanding is that I need to pay tax when i register here in my own state.. but the dealer says I pay tax there.. and they will send it to my home state? Whats the deal? Any ideas

BTW i am getting a price of about 43K OTD on Tech package
  • beach15beach15 Member Posts: 1,305
    If you are financing, the rule of thumb is for the dealer to collect your home state's sales tax and send it to your state. With a lien, this helps ensure the correct documentation and titling are handled.

If you are paying in cash, it can be handled either way. Tag/registration fees can be done separately, and vary so much state to state, many dealers leave them as so. We will include and pay your state's tax directly, and then you are only responsible for specific tag/registration fees.
  • pastready2buypastready2buy Member Posts: 35
    @c80

Thanks for posting and congratulations on the new MDX. I'm interested in a 2012 MDX Tech as well so I appreciate you sharing.

Do you recall Serramonte's fee structure before TT&L? Guessing it looked something like this (rounding #s):

Base price: $38,700
    Delivery: $900
    Fees: $400
    Loyalty: ($1000)
    ---------------------------
    Total: $39,000 + your TT&L @ 0.9%

More importantly, did you have much back/forth with Serramonte? I'm looking for a smooth transaction w/o any b.s. Lowest I've found is about $39,775 + TT&L...
  • specifionespecifione Member Posts: 7
    edited July 2012
    Thanks for reply..if you don't mind can you please share your purchase details or based on experience what would be the best price do you think for tampa market on MDX advance package?
  • hondapilot08hondapilot08 Member Posts: 14
    Was that price for a base model or with the tech package?
    Thanks C80 for your reply. I confirmed with the dealer and he mentioned that the 0.9% is ON for MDX models for atleast another month.

As far as the price is concerned he is stuck at 42.5K for MDX Tech. This is a dealer in Twin Cities, MN. Which state did you get your MDX+tech? Does the price differ (2500 in my case) so much from one state to another? Is there a possibility of me flying out to another state where I can get a deal for 40K or less and buy it and then get it registered again in MN? Your comments and suggestions will be well appreciated. Thanks for your time.
  • epenn1epenn1 Member Posts: 1
    Did the 37,300 price include any of the current acura incentives such as owner loyalty or competitor's conquest? Were there any other fees than TTL? Thanks.
  • th201101th201101 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the info ..

"We will include and pay your state's tax directly, and then you are only responsible for specific tag/registration fees."

Are you a dealer?
  • danimal77danimal77 Member Posts: 17
    I am debating whether I should get a TL AWD or MDX, does anyone have an opinion on this? I just received a lease offer (proposal) on both of these models and the payment is within $10 on 36mo 12k year lease. MDX MSRP $43,815 but sale price of $37,700. Payment is at $390 plus tax with 3,000 down (which includes 1,000 conquest cash for which I qualify). Is that a good deal? Does someone know of a better deal?

That aside, I can't decided if I should go with MDX or TL AWD. I really like MDX but I am concerned about the gas mileage. 16 to 21 scares me a bit compared to 18-26 on AWD TL. Can someone tell me what is the average gas consumption on this car based on YOUR experience, not EPA:). I coming from a 2005 4Runner and that thing is at least 15mpg. What about AWD TL? Any gas experience with that?

On a separate note, I've compared Acuras to about all other cars out there in terms of leasing and Acura's lease the best. Volvo CX60 or Audi Q5 for example (same sales price of 38K) would lease at $550 with over 3,000 down, Audi even more based upon what I know.
  • beach15beach15 Member Posts: 1,305
    Yes ;)
  • danimal77danimal77 Member Posts: 17
    Thanks for your response above. If anyone has any real-life experience with MDX, please let me know. I am really interested in gas mileage. Dealer told me that it may get up to 25 miles per gallon on the freeway, but EPA estimate is 16-21. I've read that AWD TL gets about 19 miles per gallon in the city. Is MDX about 16 then? Safe to assume?

I would pick MDX over TL AWD, no question here, if the gas mileage is the same. But, if we are dealing with 18miles per gallon for MDX and 26 miles per gallon on TL (both highway), then that's a different story. Any feedback anyone?
  • jhoff1973jhoff1973 Member Posts: 4
    My 2010 MDX gets mileage right in line with EPA estimates. Through 35k miles I've never done better than 22mpg on the highway. I'm consistently within the 16-21 range. Hope this helps.
  • mbuster25mbuster25 Member Posts: 14
    edited July 2012
    Bought 2012 MDX Advance, Blk roof rails, floor mats, 8yr/120K $100 deductible warranty.
    Price before tax and fees was $48K. Price includes all incentives/programs.

Rosenthal Acura - good folks.
    Yes, that price included the 1k owner loyalty. As far as TTL and documentation fee --> title/registration/etc. came out to ~ $100. Doc fee was $395. I didn't have a trade-in.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,426
    I just wanted to make a few points about fuel economy. Everyone is completely obsessed with gas mileage these days. First and foremost, the OP is deciding between 2 (very nice IMO) luxury vehicles that have MSRPs in the low to mid $40K range. EPA mileage numbers only tell part of the story. What you should be looking at is total cost of fuel. Whether you are getting 2 mpg less than EPA city estimates running errands around town or close to EPA highway estimates commuting, it still costs you the same amount of money to fill the vehicle up at the end of the week.

Both of these vehicles are performance oriented. You are going to have a hard time keeping your cruise control set in the granny lane at 55 mph. Most likely you'll find yourself barreling down the highway at 75 - 80 mph.

You should focus on your needs & desires when deciding between these 2 vehicles. Don't make gas mileage your utmost priority. Do you want an SUV or will a sedan do 95% of what you need?

As a point of reference, my wife drives a 4WD Honda Pilot. She does a very nice almost 50/50 mix of city & highway driving. She averages right around 16 mpg. I know the MDX has a bigger (3.7 vs. 3.5), more powerful (300 hp vs. 250 hp) engine, a 6 speed auto instead of a 5 speed auto, and a fully active AWD system (vs. the Pilot's part time system), but they are built on the same chassis. I wouldn't expect to exceed the MDX's EPA fuel mileage estimates by any stretch of the imagination.

Good luck & let us know what you decide!

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

Base model.
  • indian20indian20 Member Posts: 6
    edited July 2012
    I am looking forward to buy an Acura MDX 2012 with Tech Package. Been recommended by TrueCar, inspite i dont see anything close to 46,000 $ like what other members in here paid for the tech package.. Most of the truecar recommendations are floating around 52,000-48,000.

Whats a good price paid? Anyone knows of a good dealer in Illinois in the west subs, or near chicago who can take me the 46,000+ $ route?
  • sami5sami5 Member Posts: 9
    Hello,
    I got an offer from a dealer in Chicago,il
    2012 AWD 4 Door Tech/Entertainment Pkg
    for $42800 including doc fee $160, plus $20 for title and license.

Is this good deal? Please suggest.
    I think its an awesome deal, do you mind giving details like dealership name, city? It will be great help. I am on the verge of buying an MDX tech pacakge in IL (near chicago).
  • sami5sami5 Member Posts: 9
    I will. Including Tax I think it will be around
    $46000k. I will definitely provide you the details if it
    Works out. I am still negotiating. You think it is still better price.
    edited July 2012
    Sami5, I am sorry mate, i just got confused with tech and advanced package.
    46,000 is extremly high for tech package. I am looking for advance package for around 46,000-47,000 in IL. I do know other states sell it for that cost. But if u look around the forum, u will see ppl getting tech package for around 40,000 OTD.
  • mz2009mz2009 Member Posts: 10
    Hi indian20,

I guess $46000 Sami5 estimated is total price (including TTL) for MDX with tech+entertainment pkg in Chicago land. This should be consistent with the price without TTL Sami5 talked about in the previous post.
  • cocobean1cocobean1 Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a 2012 MDX new with tech package in Maryland from Norris Acura. I paid 38,961 plus destination, tax and tags. It was a very easy purchase as I received the price over the Internet. I also got .9 financing for 60 months with no money down.
    I really dont think so. I have been reading posts after posts, on various forums, and here on edmunds, few pages back.. u will see people paying around 40,000-41,000 OTD for tech package, but wihtout ent package. So i think it shud be around 42,000 for him. But 46,000 is ballant wrong.
  • billy3554billy3554 Member Posts: 148
    FWIW - in DC, saw a quote from Radley for about $39,400 for the MDX with Tech including freight and with the loyalty/conquest bonus.

Saw a qoute from Criswell for about $41,700 which seems a bit high.

I suppose neither of these quotes included the additional profit dealers expect via the "documentation fee" profit scheme.

Interestingly True Car continues to be a dealer's best friend by showing the not so great price of $43,861.

Great deals to be found on the MDX if one shops. Too bad my better half thinks the MDX is too big.

IMHO Norris Acura is a great option in the DC area. I have bought from Norris and the deal was as good if not better than any other DC area Acura dealer. And, in Maryland the "documentation profit" is much less than in Virginia.
    edited July 2012
    Thanks for your reply, so that means, i can get an MDX Tech package for around 40,000 which includes taxes, documentations OTD? ANyone knows a dealer in Illinois?
  • nlgmdxnlgmdx Member Posts: 8
    I bought new 2012 MDX Tech from Radley 2 weeks ago for 42359.00 OTD(6.75% sales tax). I did not qualified for Loyalty or conquest programs.
  • raleighmdxraleighmdx Member Posts: 1
    Nlgmdx would you be willing to send me a copy of that sales agreement. In raleigh and can't get anyone under 42,000 plus tax and tags. For mdx tech pkg Looking for something in writing to break the log jam.
  • president2024president2024 Member Posts: 2
    I have been monitoring the forums here for a while and have been negotiating a MDX w/ Tech deal for the past week. I live in Cleveland, Ohio (6.25% tax) and have been shopping around for the best deal. Out of curiosity I submitted a quote request from Pohanka in NOVA. They offered $40,399 +TTL. That's a good deal. The cheapest I have been able to get around here is $44,100 OTD, with some dealerships unable to match that. I figure with 2 plane tickets and the return trip I am still saving $700 buying from Pohanka. However, my wife doesn't like this idea. I am okay with it considering it's a great deal and I've lived in Alexandria and know the area.

I am paying cash. I do not qualify for any loyalty or conquest offers. I am scheduled to take delivery from Park Acura in Akron, OH on Wednesday at $44,100 OTD. Should I take this offer or continue negotiating lower?

Thanks for the insight!
    @pastready2buy

Close. Unfortunately, the "document processing" was not included. They charged me a whopping $80.

Base: $39,100
    Delivery: $900
    Document: $80
    ----------------------------------
    The "loyalty" is not deducted until after sales tax is calculated; it is basically a cash back rebate that goes towards your down payment.

$39,775 + TT&L sounds great (assuming this isn't including the loyalty cash).
  • adiehl13adiehl13 Member Posts: 28
    edited July 2012
    Mbuster25- can you tell me more about the 8 yr/ 120k warranty? How much additionally was this? We're looking at an Advance pkg as well (but still interested in the Audi Q7 TDI as well). But cost is much better on MDX...
  • pastready2buypastready2buy Member Posts: 35
    @c80

Bravo on a great deal. My target for a new 2012 MDX Tech has been $39k base (i.e., not including destination, processing, TT&L), which is about the best I've seen here. That said, you're scoring a much smaller processing fee of $80 than most can get at that price.

My $39,775 + TT&L includes loyalty cash so I was pretty confident I could drop it by $500 through my closing negotiations. You have given me hope I could drop it up to $700. Thanks!
  • karhill1karhill1 Member Posts: 165
    Nice article on automotive internet selling can be found at www.ordiway.com. The following somewhat summarizes the article -

- Respond Quickly to the Inquiry

- Personalize The Email Response to the Inquiry.

- Give A Price as that is what the Inquiry Wants

I know when I contact a dealer via the internet I do so because I do not want to chat nor do I want to waste my time on a visit. I will visit the dealership which provides the information requested. Really, all I want is an initial price and I hope to have it quickly. Dealerships with a sales staff which does not respond do not earn my business.

There always seems to be a dealer, regardles of brand, who appreciates the internet. Interestingly, thinking back to my recent buys, usually one a year, the dealer who invariably earns my business is the dealer who responded the quickest. Just like the article suggests.
    edited July 2012
    I am sure none of the Cleveland area(Park Acura, MotorCars and Airport Acura) dealers cannot get you near the price of 42359 OTD price that i got from Radley. Surprisingly for me Pohanka salesperson was not good changed numbers all the time so i went with Radley. I bought a United 2 way ticket for $161.00(This fare is available every week, its united specials) to IAD and other 2 airports in the area. I reached there by 7 AM on Saturday morning. Dealer picked me from the airport and finished the deal in couple hrs and drove back and reached home same day by evening. Its 6hrs 45 mins drive.
    There are 3 dealers in Cleveland OH area and none of them could not go less than $42K same as you or match the quote that i got from Radley or Pohanka. So i think me sending the sales agreement to you will not help you. Just read couple pages in this forum and you will know where to get these good dealers and if they are drivable distance then i would simply fly there and buy one. For you these dealers are 5 hrs. I drove 6 hrs 45 mins.
  • jbsctjbsct Member Posts: 3
    It might be worth it for you to contact both Radley Acura and Pohanka Acura in northern VA. They are the largest Acura dealers in the country and both have very competitive pricing right now. I was quoted and just bought a car for under $39,000 for a 2012 MDX WITH tech package including destination charges, and including the $1,000 rebate for current Acura owners. (TTL was extra.) It might be worth it to have them ship it to you if you don't want to drive it back. This pricing is almost $4,000 less than my local dealers. Good luck!
  • mzul91mzul91 Member Posts: 2
    Consumer reports think you cannot get below 41.9K mdx with tech. Dealer invoice is 44.4K, dealer incentive of 1.5K and dealer holdback of 0.9K. Can someone explain? thank you.
  • mzul91mzul91 Member Posts: 2
    If you get a car in North VA, how are you going to service if you don't live near North VA?
    You can service your car at any Acura dealer in the country. It does not have to be the same place as where you bought it. It is the same as if you bought your car in one place, moved to another location, and then brought your car in for service at the new location. No big deal.
    Don't know but I promise you, I just drove my new MDX with tech home almost 6 hrs on Thurs after flying into Dulles and picking it up. Radley and Pohanka have great deals.
  • maclaren65maclaren65 Member Posts: 1
    We are about to buy a new 2012 MDX Tech package with a white exterior and parchment interior (a hard to find color combo here in the SF Bay area).

We're going through AutoNation and were quoted a price of $42,471. Once you add up the various taxes, etc we're looking at $46,531. The Acura Care Extended Service warranty (60 months/100k miles) is an addition $1,750 for a total of $48,281. We're interested in the 0.09 percent financing.

There's a "Value Care" package that covers oil changes and services for 48 months or 60K for an additional $330. How often do MDXes need to get their oil changed and what other services need to be paid for within the 48 months or 60K window?

Are these prices in line with what others are paying? Thanks.
  • tomy3tomy3 Member Posts: 46
    Let's not bash Airport Acura. I just got a great deal there on a 2012 Base model MDX. Worked out to $38,750 which is $2,000 below Invoice and represents a 12% reduction from MSRP. Best deal in Cleveland area. Great people to do business with. I recommend them highly.
  • babu3babu3 Member Posts: 1
    I am close to finalizing the purchase. I have two questions ..

I have an internet special offer from a Chicagoland dealer for $39,975 PLUS tax, title, license, doc. and destination fee. Is this a good deal ?
    I am also planning to add a few accessories such as Advance Running Board($975), All season Mats($279), wheel locks($189), rear bumper applique($199), Tri Fold Cargo Tray($278).
    There seems to be no room for discount on these (at least that's what the dealer tells me). I was also told that I need to add these at the time of purchase of the vehicle to get the 4Yr warranty on these.. Otherwise it will be a 1 yr warranty. Any idea on what a reasonable % discount I can ask for these accessories ?
    Thanks for your help in advance