Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Acura MDX Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• bxnguyenbxnguyen Member Posts: 11
    Wow that is such a good deal.

Can you share the dealership name and sale rep.
  • habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    2013 Acura MDX with Tech Package + Navigation + premium leather

I believe the Tech Package included navigation and premium leather. You are saying they were priced as additional options??
  • bxnguyenbxnguyen Member Posts: 11
    Hi All,

I am in the market for a CPO 2010/2010 CPO and was offer a used 2010 MDX + Tech + Entertainment which is the DVD 9' for OTD 33.6k with 44667 Mileages. This is not a CPO but used car from one of the dealership.

Is it a good deal bad deal?
  • vbosmiyavbosmiya Member Posts: 6
    We have few dealers in the tristate area who has 2012 Base and Tech available. What should be the target price for both the model and is acura offering any incentive on 2012 models ?

Please advise.

Thank you.
  • busunclebusuncle Member Posts: 18
    My experience, and that of other Edmunds posters, was that the 2012s weren't much cheaper than comparable 2013s. Perhaps that has changed now that it's January ...
  • pastready2buypastready2buy Member Posts: 35
    So now that the totally redesigned 2014 MDX has been revealed and is expected to hit dealers mid-2013, folks should start pressing dealers hard on pricing of the "old" 2012 and 2013 models.

I wouldn't be taking any deals for less than 18-20% MSRP (including dest).

They may complain to buyers about margins, but it should also cause them to lobby Acura about increased factory-to-dealer incentives to fix those margins. Supply and demand at work.
  • balaskonisbalaskonis Member Posts: 20
    Good evening,
    This is my first post, I've been lurking on here for a while because I would like to get an MDX.

I am from CT, and from everything that I'm reading, it seems like now is an excellent time to get involved on any 2012 or 2013 MDXs that are out there.

I'm nervous to go start negotiating, only because if I make an offer of let's say $36,500, or 17% off the MSRP of a 2012 MDX, will that even have a chance of being accepted? or does it depend on dealership, etc. Also, pastready2buy, when you say 18-20% off MSRP does that mean out the door?

If I could get it down to that price realistically for a 2012 MDX base, the monthly payments are very comfortable for us.

Just wanted your opinion before I go into this with really no experience.
  • mtns2seamtns2sea Member Posts: 4
    ... MSRP is $47850, 18 % off that would be $39237.
    Not OTD - this would be excluding TT&L.

When I was in the market last fall, I received the following offers on 2012 MDXs w/ Tech Package (MSRP $46,705 + $895 destination = $47,600):

$39,075 + TT&L
    $39,164 + TT&L
    $39,289 + TT&L
    $39,549 + TT&L
    $39,683 + TT&L
    $39,879 + TT&L

These offers came from the high volume dealers in large metro areas (Northen VA / DC, Dallas, Bay Area, Northern NJ / NYC).

Of course, I also received offers at $42,829 + TT&L who said any lower they would be "losing money" and that I was insane for thinking an MDX could be had in this price range. Those dealers where the ones who still have 2012 inventory today (the ones who were putting out good prices got rid of their 2012 stock months ago).

These numbers were all inclusive of destination ($895) and dealer/doc fees (ranging from $80-$399). Those figures translated to around 16-18% off MSRP including the $895 destination charge. These prices did not include my TT&L - which varies from buyer to buyer.

Given 2012 MDXs were easily selling for 18% off MSRP last fall, 2013 didn't bring any changes (they just changed the model year on the label), and the 2014s have been revealed making the 2012/13s the "old" model - I wouldn't buy a 2012-2013 MDX for less than 18-20% off MSRP.
    I think around $36.5k + TT&L is doable on a 2012 with a high volume dealer, depending on your timing.

If you're in CT, maybe shoot an email Denville/Ramsey/Montclair in Northern NJ. May have to go with a 2013 depending on their stock. They'll obviously want a bit more for their 2013 models, my guess is upper $37k / lower $38k.

For patient buyers, I'd say prices will start to fall around April/May.
    Yep. I think 2013s could eventually be had for around $39,300 (or less) by patient buyers. I predict prices on the 2013s to continue to fall over the next few months as redesigned 2014s get closer to the lots. Heck, they've been running incentives on 2013s nearly the same ($500 difference) than 2012s already...
  • boogaloo22boogaloo22 Member Posts: 5
    Hi, I'm new to the forums and had a few questions I was hoping to get answered. I purchased a 2012 MDX in Texas about three months ago and bought the extended warranty from the dealer, a 7yr/100k for ~$2600, along with dent coverage for $800 and resistall protection $870. After getting a good deal on the MDX (over 5k below MSRP) these additional purchases seemed to make sense but I'm having buyer's remorse now. Also after seeing some of the prices others have posted for warranties I'm sure I over paid.

I'm wondering if any one has any experience with the resistall pricing and the dent coverage as well. Looking back I think I overpaid on these as well, although at the time of purchase I was assured by the financing department that I was getting these packages for about $50 above cost. Is the warranty price too high and should I/can I return it? Any limitations on the resitall or dent coverage that any one has had experience with? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
  • billy3554billy3554 Member Posts: 148
    It seems you paid about $4,300 for insurance against some repairs, dings and environmental damage. I am sure the dealer considers this deal, with these three F&I products on the back end, a home run.

There is no way the prices charged by the dealer were $50 over cost. Really, $800 for ding protection and $870 for damage caused by the environement?

Hopefully, the extended service contract (it is not a warranty) was provided by Acura and not some third party.

Thankfully, all these "products" can be cancelled. The smart thing to do.
    so as I understand, the MSRP on a 2012 MDX base is 43,815, plus the destination charge puts me at 44,710. If I offered 36,500 excluding ttl, and it's accepted, what I'm still confused about is, what would the ttl total? in CT, is it dfferent from everywhere else? I realize I pay tax per month (inculded in the monthly payment), but what about sales tax when I buy it? and title and license fees? could you answer with maybe an example using the 36,500? I SINCERELY appreciate it.
    Hey thanks for the reply, I appreciate the feedback.
    Any one with an opinion on a fair price for these packages?
    I am going to back to the Acura finance department today and try to renegotiate these deals to something reasonable. If not then I think I'll just cancel everything and take my losses. They said at the time of purchase that these extended overages would be prorated if canceled, and I'm assuming it will be done so on a monthly basis but you never know with these car companies.
    Hey thanks for the reply, I appreciate the feedback.
    Any one with an opinion on a fair price for these packages?
    I am going to back to the Acura finance department today and try to renegotiate these deals to something reasonable. If not then I think I'll just cancel everything and take my losses. They said at the time of purchase that these extended coverages would be prorated if canceled, and I'm assuming it will be done so on a monthly basis but you never know with these car companies.
  • buyingacar2buyingacar2 Member Posts: 13
    I got an offer for 2013 brand new base $41220 in NJ 2 weeks ago. about 4k tax and fee here. 7% tax, but a lot of fees.
    1. 2013 mdx base new, $37900+ttl ===> your offer is similar to mine. Mine maybe a few hundred less. But I think we can get down below $37k for 2013 base brand new. I know someone did it in Dec around $36k. You can flip a few pages and see that price.

2. I will not consider used car. Price is so similar to the 2013, why get a pre-own? Unless it's much less... in your case, price too similar, I'd rather get a new car.
    Anyone know what price will 2014 MDX be? Will it stand very firm while 2013 modle has a lot of discount? 2014 has a nicer look but more importantly, it has more space, easier access to the 3rd row seats. but it didn't say larger leg room for 3rd row seats, just said more leg room for 2nd low seats. Also sounds like a safer car. Safty feature enhanced. If price is similar to 2013 with all these discount prices, 2014 is the way to go. Otherwise, 2013 is a great deal. Any suggestions?
    2013 Acura MDX with Tech Package + Navigation + premium leather + tinted window + car mat $240 value for OTD $42,800.

I wish this dealer is in NJ. She did very well.
  • saabtoacurasaabtoacura Member Posts: 2
    Is $35,500 (+ttl) a good price for a 2012 MDX base model (certified) with 5000 miles? Thanks! I appreciate the help.
    TT&L varies based on state, municipality, etc. That's why reporting OTD pricing on this forum isn't very useful. Folks should quote Price + TT&L.

You can call your local DMV to get a good estimate. Quick google search produced:

CT DMV Fees: link

CT Vehicle Tax: link

I just glanced at them, but I'd say a couple hundred bucks for fees and 6.35% tax for around $39k OTD on a $36.5k sales price for CT.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,359
    I live in CT. Tax in Fairfield County is 6.35%. New plates & registration are $350.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

May not be very good deal since already has 5k miles. You can flip a few pages in the front, I remember someone got 2013 base brand new in Dec for around $36k before tax and fees.
  • saabtoacurasaabtoacura Member Posts: 2
    Thanks. I appreciate your response.
    this is my ultimate offer:

msrp + destination $44,175.00
    price excluding tax, title, fees $36,700.00
    fees (conveyance, acquisition, reg, doc, etc.) $1,800.00
    FINAL OTD PRICE $38,500.00
    residual $24,738.00
    difference btwn price and residual $13,762.00
    depreciation fee (difference divided by 36) $382.28
    finance fee (price + residual * mf) $63.24
    monthly before tax $445.52
    monthly AFTER tax $473.81

36 month, 10K mile lease....doing my research here, figured $40092 invoice minus 2% holdback of base MSRP minus $2500, is $36,708, so they don't make or lose anything here really

also, are the fees something i pay then and there separately with a cash/or check or are they rolled over into the "OTD price"?

is there a reasonable chance of this happening or am i making a fool of myself

Thanks for reading
    balaskonis
    I recently bought a 2012 MDX ~ 3 mos ago in September in Houston, Texas with a 7yr/100K warranty/extended service contract for ~ $2600. After reading the forum and calling up other local dealers I'm finding much better deals and would like to cancel this warranty. Not sure what the procedure is to cancel, if there are any restrictions that come along with cancelling it, and if I am allowed to buy another Acura Care warranty from another dealer once I have cancelled this original one.

Also is there a difference between the online Acura care warranty sold Vs in house, and does it make a difference in the level of care you get if you buy at a different dealer or online? Any advice/insight would be greatly appreciated.

The Pricing I received from another dealer was;

7yr/120k - $1970

8yr/120k - $2175

dent+tires (road hazard coverage I think)+wheels (pothole damage or bent rims
    replacement) - $490

Xylon (sp?) fabric/leather (not including tears) and paint coverage for 5 yrs - $495

Any thoughts on the pricing? Are they close to cost and will I be able to buy Acura Care again if I cancel? Are there any reliable third party warranties if I can't buy another Acura Care extended service contract?

I'm new to these forums so I'm not sure of the proper etiquette, whether its OK to post specifics about dealerships, finance officers that are fair to deal with, etc. but if anyone is interested I'll be glad to pass on whatever info I have. Thanks in advance for your help.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 234,733
    Here you go... this is what may (and may not) be posted...

Your personal security is important to us, so please do not post your email address in a message.

You may include the dealership name, city and state in your post. Please do not post last names of salespeople, telephone numbers, email addresses, or other contact information.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Hi I am so excited. We just bought a new 2013 base mdx today. About$37600+ttl and fee. Total: $41200 :)
    We checked a few more dealers, price similar about few hundreds different, so we went back to the first dealer and bought it. A great car and price seems very reasonable. I think right now in nj, price rang for base mdx is $41-42k all in price.
  • sbornosborno Member Posts: 9
    Does anyone have any idea, when the 2014 will be available.
    There are substantial changes, so I'd like to wait.

Also, interested in when the next Q7 will be released

If its close to a year, maybe I could find a 2011 Cayenne to consider it against.
    I hate buying new, but it seems the tech advancements, and the strength of the used car market may even the playing field a little...

Any thoughts or answers are appreciated in advance
  • ushy66ushy66 Member Posts: 366
    edited January 2013
    Most are saying 6-7 months from now, ~ June-July 2013 for when dealers start taking delivery on the 2014 MDX, but dealers probably won't be offering much of a discount until Jan-Feb 2014. We will probably see a full reveal of the 2014 MDX (vs Prototype) at the Chicago Int. Auto Show which starts Feb 9th and/or at the NY Int. Auto Show which starts March 29th. So you don't have to wait long.

Jake
  • sbornosborno Member Posts: 9
    Funny, I waited anxiously for the Detroit show, and the 'unvieling" was pretty underwhelming. while 6- months is not long, I'm always concerned about buying the first relaease of a new model, coupled with having to pay close to sticker, which I never do.

Although, I do if necessary, for example, we bought the wife's sienna new on 12/31/03, it now has over 150K on it, so it was worth getting it, new/loaded.
    The usual MO is to buy 2 year old certified, like i've don on the multiples of audi's that I have owned. the present version, is a 07, A6 4.2, which has 100K now. I also have a 01 M3 conv, (puff), which i drive when my kids get thier liscense, and cut thier teeth on the mini-van, while the wife gets the audi, and i drive the toy, (which i have the hardtop for)

Next month, my daughter will get her liscence, hopefully. Then, we;ll have a five driver house, with five cars, (my mother-in-law moved in recently, and brought her 90s Buick with her. As with anything, there's always multiple considerations with cars. The shuffle that occurs. We have an old fleet, and is seems like when you replace one, a chain reaction starts, sometimes resulting in the replacement of more than one car. My son (18) drives an 01 infiniti, which we picked up from my mom's friend in floridahhhhh, (low miles)

So, I know,i gotta sit tight, i'd love to get into the new A6(used), but still big$$, and I think we'll need the suv upgrade first, although i feel like we could keep the sienna til over 200K, my real wish is to pick up a used 11 cayenne, which is a tough call, cause they're depreciated cost will be close to a new mdx#, also interested in the next q7, when it comes. I love that the auto industry finally woke up, with more competitve features, better drive trains etc.

anyway, i usually take 6-12 months to ponder/search for vehicles, so this wil be an interesting year. I don't 'have' to get anything til next winter, when i gotta put the baby (M3) away for the winter, but, it looks like I'll b driving it ealry this spring. I've thought about combinig the m# + A6 in trade for an S5 conv., but love the stick in the m#, and need the sedan for couple [non-permissible content removed], so it aint happning, to bad the S4 is too small, (i'm 6'1), even looked at the TL, who knows.

but thanks for the info, sorry about the sunday morn ramblings, just another car addict venting about the options that abound. have a nice sunday!!

steve
  • sluckystar21sluckystar21 Member Posts: 1
    Hello,

What are folks getting for quotes on '13 MDX Tech? I've been quoted $41500 but seems a bit high to me based on what '12s were going for. I am in the Boston area and willing to drive to any New England area dealer. Also, any ideas on whether 0.9% financing will be back anytime soon?

Thanks to all for your help!
    ok, finally got an offer from a dealer on a 2013 acura mdx base graphite luster with ebony leather..

OTD price $38,000
    does not include tt&l, first month's payment, etc.
    she told me that price was $1306, which I'm guessing I pay in cash correct?
    36 mo, 10K lease $486/ mo that includes CT tax

can I do better? should i wait until spring? I was thinking something closer to 37.3 if I am paying the 1306

this is my first lease ever so I'm trying to get the best price possible to be in the low 400s a month....

thanks
    The monthly price seems quite high if it excludes tax and title costs.

The MDX base's MSRP is $44,175 and the invoice is $40,987. There is a dealer cash incentive of $2,500 and dealer hold back of 2% or about $900. This makes the dealer cost about $37,600. Therefore a price of $38,000 is very good.

Acura's current money factor for good credit is .001. The residual for a 10K year lease is 56%.

At those numbers the lease cost should be about $431 not $486. Tax might increase this by about $24, assuming a 6% tax rate. It is possible the dealer has included additional costs (fees?) in the capitalized amount or has increased the money factor.

Or it could be Connecticut taxes the entire sales price less trade in value rather than tax the monthly payment. That could explain the difference. For example, if the sales price was $38,000 and there was no trade in and the sales tax is 6%, the sales tax amount would be $2,280. This amount spread over 36 months would be a bit more than $60.

Also, 10K a year is not very many miles. Increasing the annual mileage to 12K should only increase the lease payment by about $23.
    Billy I agree....something's off here

$44,523.00 sticker price w/All Season Protection II
    $38,000.00 offer
    $1,400.00 drive off fees (I'm going up on this -- I was told CT Lemon Law $5, Greenhouse $3, 1st month's payment, conveyance fee, bank acquisition, $170 on title&license)
    $24,487.65 residual (55% of MSRP for 12K/year I was told)
    $13,512.35 depreciation over 36 months
    $375.34 montly dep payment
    $62,487.65 residual plus offer
    $62.49 residual plus otd * mf
    $437.83 dep fee + finance fee
    $465.63 total monthly payment

That's why I came up with $465 with tax (6.35% in CT) I was told no tax at signing

Something's not making sense
    Lease calcualtions are really not complex. You simply take the capitalized amount less the residual value and divide by the number of months for the lease. You then take the capitailized amount plus the residual value and multiply the sum of the two by the money factor. Add the two results and you get a very good idea of the the monthly lease cost.

Dealer F&I folks like to make lease calculations appear complex, obviously to increase their profit.

Your monthly amount of $465 without tax is correct if you are only paying the first months lease cost at inception.

Computing a lease cost for an MSRP of $44,175, residual 56%, purchase price $38,000, plus about $1,000 added into the capitalized amount for acquistion and other real fees, but not paid in cash at lease inception, and the money factor of .001 results in a monthly payment of about $460. A 6.35% tax would increase this to about $490.
  • njrajanjraja Member Posts: 14
    I heard from my friends that Radley Acura at VA price is much much much lower. 36K with destination for the base MDX model.
  • robjamellrobjamell Member Posts: 35
    What financing rates is everyone finding on 2013 MDX. Is there anything below 1%?
    36K for the base MDX? 2013? Best I've done in CT is 37,750 at this point excluding the drive off fees....i can't believe it either
    I saw someone had this price $36k in Dec 12 too. Not sure base 12 or base 13 model. It's a GREAT price but we couldn't get this low in NJ area. I got $37600 + tax and fee so that we could drive the car and not to wait maybe a few more months for a possibility of $36k.
  • njrajanjraja Member Posts: 14
    Yes, 36K for the base MDX 2013 with All weather floor mat. Destination charge was included in that price.. bought yesterday...
  • phillyfan5phillyfan5 Member Posts: 2
    I was quoted $41,500 for the MDX with Tech .. I am outside of Phila PA. I am also looking to move the price down a bit before buying and waiting for the .09 finance.
  • robjamellrobjamell Member Posts: 35
    Can you tell me where you bought this car and who I should speak with? Thanks in advance.
  • southpaw75southpaw75 Member Posts: 33
    I was quoted $41,150 at one dealer and $40,800 at another (w/ tech '13)
    This is a great deal! Envy you! I got my car 2 weeks ago more expensive then yours and has no extra floor mat. Went to costco got a set. :D
    The 2014 MDX will come out middle of this year. I guess in June. People said 14 model mdx is longer, so the 2nd and 3rd row will have more room. It's a very useful improvement if it is the new improvement. But I guess 2014 model will not have thousands thousands off when new model just come out. 2014 vs. 2013, my guess, at least 4k different in any model. For example, base model, the invoice price is around $41k invoice price for 2013 model, the 2014 base model, I expect to see $41 or higher invoice price. And for a new model, I don't think they'll give customers 3k off here, 1k off there... so closer to the invoice price maybe is a good deal for 2014 and price must not early as good as 2013's. That's why we bought 2013 model.
    We need the extra space for 2 kids family. But... I guess having 3-4k's maybe make more sense. :)
  • jstewie23jstewie23 Member Posts: 14
    We bought a 2013 MDX w/tech and roof rails today for $41,500 +TTL in NJ. Looks like finance rates were 2.9% for 3, 4, or 5 year loans.

They still had the $2500 incentive.
  • budcat1budcat1 Member Posts: 5
    I purchased a 2013 Base for mid 36k. I had to bail on my 03 MDX as it had 204k miles and wife was not comfortable with it. Also, w the tranny history of that yr I was concerned, and the timing belt was due.
    I think I bought it right and intend to trade it into a 2014 when the luster is off. Any opinion as to when the optimal pricing/depreciation on the 2013 would be? Fall of 2014? Thanks.
  • daptekdaptek Member Posts: 141
    Looking at a 2012 with Tech/Entertainment in Miami. Got quoted over the phone $43K. Planning on offering $37K.

Thoughts? :P