Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

'99 Ford F-250 Superduty 4x4 with Triton V-10

swandersswanders Member Posts: 8
edited February 2014 in Ford
i'm looking at buying a 1999 Ford F-250 Superduty
4 x 4 Crewcab and trying to decide whether to go
with the standard 5.4 Liter OC V-8, or upgrade to
the Triton V-10. I plan to tow 6000 lbs camping
trailer and also plan to put the snow blade package
on it for the winters. any input would be
appreciated.

Comments

• mharde2mharde2 Member Posts: 278
    Go with the V10, It doesn't cost much more, and it probibly will get about the same gas mileage. When towing a trailer it always good to have power to spare. Also if you want to tow a larger trailer in the future you will have that covered. Go for the Big One!
  • hemiheadhemihead Member Posts: 8
    I agree with mharde,the V-10 is adequate for this job. I'm afraid that the 5.4 would underpower a 3/4 ton 4x4 extremely. You would probably get better gas mileage if the engine can handle the load easier, opposed to lugging and shifting a lot with a smaller engine. Go with the V-10.
  • BDQBDQ Member Posts: 1
    WHAT IS THE GAS MILEAGE ON THE V10
  • rickroverrickrover Member Posts: 601
    I have a friend with the 5.4 in his Expidition and it is kind of a dog power wise, I would definately go for the V10. I really like the big Ford, it is just too big for me. I have to replace my company truck this December when the current one goes off lease. Will a 4x4 F250 Extend Cab fit in a standard garage? I'd go test drive one but I'm afraid I might do something impulsive.
  • BrutusBrutus Member Posts: 1,113
    You would get impulsive if you drove one. These trucks are awesome. But to answer your question, they might not fit in a regular garage. The chassis has increase 4 inches for the Regular and Crewcab models and 3 inches for the SuperCab over the 1997 models. I've heard the Regular cab has increased 9 inches in total length over the 1997 model. At the same time, I doubt the Ford trucks are significantly bigger than the competitors. Most big trucks have height problems fitting into standard garages. All I can say is to measure it and if it doesn't fit and the others do, you have to decide whether the Ford is that much better than the competition to justify it sitting outside.
  • AirCatAirCat Member Posts: 16
    I ordered mine before driving it, just on spec's, price, and the fact that my local Ford dealer has been so good to us on our little truck. Then I went back a week later when they were not busy and drove the ONE (only one) they had in stock with a V-10 like I ordered and WOW! I can hardley wait to fall in love all over again. It is awsome. If you are impulsive you must make up your mind first, based on the facts cause this is one truck that will steal your heart.
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    The 4 wheel drive Super Duty Fords are 80-81 inches tall - a good 3-4 inches over my Ram 3500 4x4. The single rear wheel Fords are a full 80 inches wide as well.
  • jdbjdb Member Posts: 20
    I heard a rumor today that V-10s were now a hold and causing (further) delays. Anyone else heard anything about this???
  • BrutusBrutus Member Posts: 1,113
    Great news jdb! Just great! Let's hope it's just a rumor. I know the leather interior for the Lariats were on old until the first week of April. I haven't heard anything about the V-10s. Today marks exactly week #4 since I ordered mine. Still hoping for eight weeks or less to go. I guess I oughta get my current truck on the market.
  • AirCatAirCat Member Posts: 16
    I am now 2 days short of seven weeks, chatted with sales mgr today...still no scheduled build date. :-(
  • bucbuc Member Posts: 1
    Our order has been in 3+wks.
    V10 should get as good as v8,better under moderate or bigger load.
    The reason they went to the v10 is for better milage and less pollution than a big v8.
  • brunobaxbrunobax Member Posts: 1
    I am planning to buy a new F250 . I 'am leaning towards the V10 . But as you all know you can not find any MPG informations. I gather from other letters that the V10 is getting the same or better than the 5.4 . What is the MPG for a 5.4
    I have some figures on the V10 van, better than nothing I guess. Its the E350 Super Wagon,(the big one)with 4.10 rear end.
    Level highway solo best leg 14 mpg. Towing a 28' travel trailer,(6860lbs)same leg 10.4 mpg.
    These figures sound very realistic to me. More believable than 16 mpg around town.
    0-60 10.3 sec solo (pretty good for 6500lb van)
    0-60 27.6 sec towing
    FYI..That was from a road test in Sept 97 Trailer Life.
  • jim2jim2 Member Posts: 43
    I have been looking at the new Ford Super Duty F250 for months. I have driven just about all of them and there isn't a bad one in the bunch.

If you can find a Super Duty in Lariat trim, you will find a MPG/compass just above the rear view mirror. You can get an idea of mileage by resetting this as you drive: set to average miles per gallon and reset by pushing both buttons at the same time. None of the salesman know how to do this.

I have friends with the V10, 7.3 diesel and the 5.4 engines. The V10 got 10 MPG with no load in around town driving on the first tank. You might get 13 on the highway empty but we will have to see. The 7.3 diesel gets 17 on the highway empty. No word on other driving conditions yet. The 5.4 in an F250 4x4 non super duty is only getting 11 empty and 9 with an 8,000 lb. 5th wheel trailer. It is underpowered with the 5th wheel and he wishes he got a super duty with the V10.

A 1991 F250 with the 7.3 non turbo got 13 MPG no matter what the driving conditions. At 170,000 miles the engine blew a piston and had a $7,500 repair bill. Mechanics say this happens to 1 out of every 50 7.3 Ford diesels. Diesel mechanics generally prefer the Cummins over the Ford diesel motors because they are easier to work on and cheaper to repair. The Cummins diesel in Dodge pickups my friends have gets 20 MPG empty and 15 MPG under heavy load. The new 24 valve Cummins is as quick as the new Ford but doesn't have as much torque.

I am leaning toward the F250 4x4 crew cab short box but am undecided about the motor. If the diesel gets an average of 5 MPG better and the fuel cost is the same, it will take 50,000 miles of driving to bread even on the extra cost of the 7.3 diesel motor over the V10.

I am very interested in MPG real life for the V10 and real life MPG for the new 7.3 diesel. Another friend has a 1996 F250 with a 7.3 and she gets 12-13 MPG empty on country road driving going 70 mph.
  • gltglt Member Posts: 6
    Jim2
    regarding your question concerning real life fuel mileage for the 7.3, I can give a little input. I now have a little over 2,000 miles on my 250, crew cab, four wheel drive with the short box. Highway mileage at 65-70 mph with a medium load has averaged 18.5 or better. I expect the mileage to improve as the engine breaks in. However, I don't expect a phenomenal gain. For now at least, I am glad I got the diesel.
    If you haven't ordered yours yet you may want to spring for the power trailer tow mirrors and running boards. That right hand mirror is too far away to adjust and it's a real climb to get in without the running boards.
    Hope this helps.
    I have a friend who has a 95 F250 Powerstroke w/4.10 automatic. He gets 17 in town, 20 hwy, and 13 towing a 6500 lb travel trailer.
    I have a Dodge 2500 Quad Cab 24V TD w/3.55 automatic. I get 17 in town, 21 hwy, and 14 towing 6500 lb 5th wheel.
This discussion has been closed.