Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

TOY T100 OWNERS

JDIAZJDIAZ Member Posts: 23
edited February 2014 in Toyota
I have a 98 T100 4X4 XCAB and I would like factory
Aluminum wheels (16IN). Do any of you T100 owners
know where I can buy a set besides at the dealer??
Also tell me how you like your truck.

Comments

• bobaquinobobaquino Member Posts: 9
    I have a 97 and have no complaints except the ability of aftermarket parts. I wanted to put a set of running boards on it. I wanted either the black aero type or the nerf bar type. No Luck!!! They don't make them for the t100 extended cab. Go buy em from toyota and they'll set you back over 400 dollars. Guess I won't be putting running boards on it anytime soon...
  • heronheron Member Posts: 10
    Hey JD,
    Do you notice any whistling upon light acceleration? It is an abnormally high pitch whistling. Apparently Toyota changed something with the Pollution control for 98 which has altered the air flow causing this high pitch sound. Try accelerating lightly on the highway and let me know if you here it. Its not in the 97's or earlier. Toyota calls it a condition and is unwilling to fix it. Let me know. Thanx
  • JDIAZJDIAZ Member Posts: 23
    I have noticed that sound you are talking about, but of course I only hear it with the windows down
    and the radio turned off. I guess is not that bad
    but know that you brought it I'll probably hear it all the time....just kidding.
    Hopefully we can get this T100 owners topic going.
    I'm sure we can learn a lot from each other.
    JD,
    I've taken my service manager for a ride and he definitely heard it and said it was not a usual throttle body whistle. We then took another 98 for a ride that was on the lot and it did the same thing. My best friend has a 96 which does not make the noise. In fact he drove mine and was surprised. He thought I was exaggerating. I have another friend who has a 97 which also does not make the noise. I can here mine with the windows up and the radio on. Even my girlfriend made a comment about it! If the motor was supercharged I'd accept the noise!The reason I bought this truck is because they were supposedly proven! Don't get me wrong. I love the way it drives, handles etc... but I've worked on cars, mostly classic camaros', vettes and rebuilt lots of drivetrains and I know what a normal whistle or whatever sounds like. What I'm worried about is if I keep this truck and decide to drive the wheels off it what happens when I hit 60K and find out this is something that effects the longevity of the vehicle!? I'll let you know if I come up with anything but it would help if you could mention the whistle to your dealership. They figure if not many complain it must just be me or maybe lots have and they just won't come clean because they realize they would have to redo the air intake systems on all the 98's? Anyway, take care and if you want to write me directly I'm at Arussak@vol.com. Heron
  • 17821782 Member Posts: 2
    I HAVE A BAD VIBRATION AT 60 MPH.THE DEALER HAS TRIED TO FIX IT SEVEN TIMES WITH NO RESULTS. I'M GOING TO ARBITRATION NEXT WEEK IN HOPES TO GET THIS RESOLVED.HAS ANY ONE ELSE HAD THIS PROBLEM?
  • 17821782 Member Posts: 2
    THAT VIBRATION WAS ON 97 SR5 X-CAB I FORGOT TO TELL YOU THAT IN MY LAST LETTER.
  • smismi Member Posts: 13
    Thinking of buying a 98 xcab 4x4. Does anyone now wish they had bought something different? Any negative aspects besides the whistling noise? I,m concerned about underpowered and am going to order a 5 speed (almost impossible to find). Anyone with an automatic wish they had bought a standard or the other way arround. Anyone feel underpowered? It's a heavy truck for 190hp. Think I should hold out and see if the T-150 is going to be too big?
    SMI
    I have a 98 xcab 4x4 5 speed. Is it under power??
    compare to what?? a chevy or ford 6 cyl?? or a
    350 vortec??? You have to compare apples to apples. I love my truck. You have to ask yourself a couple of questions. What am I going to haul??
    Am I going to go four wheeling every weekend??
    I tow a bass boat and this truck has more than enough power to haul it. Would I but a 6 cyl ford or chevy......hell no. More power than a 350 of course not. I test drove a Z71 and I was very impressed with its power, but my need is just a larger truck than a tacoma with the depenibility of toyota. There's no doubt that you get more truck for your money with the chevy, but I'm planning on keeping my toy for a long time. The new toy (T100) with 8 cyl is going to give the american trucks a true challenge. I just sold my 86 toy 4x4 with 230,000 miles. Same engine and I never had to do ANYTHING major but preventetive
    maintenance. I don't balme if you have doubts becasue of its price. Believe me I had my doubts too, but I have driven other 6 or 7 year old american trucks and they just don't run the same as when new.
  • weslwesl Member Posts: 53
    JDIAZ:
    the T100 is a joke. Toyota only sold 27,000 its first year on the market. Underpowered and ugly, with only reliability on its side. As a truck, it lacks a decent range to satisfy the average owner. Only a 4.7L V8. Ford offers one V6, 3 V8's with one of those being a deisel, and a V10. Chevy offers a V-6, and 3 V-8's one of those being a deisel. Dodge offers 2 sixes one being a deisel, and a v8 and a v10. Only one V8 Toyota? Good luck. How about, like Ford, offering a choice of crew cabs, four door supercab models, and so many axle, trans. and wheelbase options that I cant remember it all. When Toyota starts selling 700,000+ trucks like Ford, then we will be comparing apples with apples.
    Only reliability on its side....isn't that the main reason people buy trucks. Underpower compare to a v8 I'll give you that much. But what the hell are you hauling??? a horse trailer?? I'll bet the heaviest load you are going to haul is yourself.
  • BrutusBrutus Member Posts: 1,113
    If you're not towing, the V-6 will be fine. If you're towing or hauling anything on a regular basis, you'll want the extra power. If you don't need the power, there's no need to get it.

If someone is concerned about the gas mileage, crunch the numbers. My calculations show that the difference between getting 15mpg and 20mpg is less than $1 per day. I'll pay an extra buck a day to have the extra power. I actually jumped to the next step and ordered a V-10 to replace my 351 V-8. I figure it will cost me about $.50 per day more to drive the V-10. Once again, the trade-off was worth it to me.

There really shouldn't be an argument about V-6 vs V-8. Define your intended use for the vehicle and then choose the vehicle that best suits your needs. If you don't need the power, there's no need to get it. But remember to define your intended use over the full term you plan to own your vehicle, not just for the present term. If you think you might get a camper or boat or other recreational vehicles in the future, you will want to make sure that you get a vehicle with the power and the suspension to haul it without taking years off your truck. The reason there are so many different types of trucks with a variety of engine and suspension combinations is because there are a variety of owners who have different needs.
    I'll be waiting to see the reliability figures of the new Toyota T-150 compared to that of the similar models of the Big Three. Toyota has yet to try to compete in the full size market, which is where the Big Three excel. I don't see Toyota reliability being superior in this category of vehicle. I'm not saying it will be inferior, but Toyota will have their work cut out just to reach paradoy on the one model they plan to release into this segment.
  • weslwesl Member Posts: 53
    JDIAZ:
    I apparently touched a nerve. BTW, I weigh 190lbs. Yep, pushing max density. No need to trade insults. Reliability is the T100's strongest suit. To compete with the Big three, Toyota really needs a full line up with big and small engines. They also need gas and diesel options, etc. If all a truck is to you is a light duty truck, then great go ahead and get the Toyota. But if you need a real truck, buy a Ford or Dodge or Chevy. For me, I really like the F-350 Supercab Turbo Diesel 4x4.
    JDIAZ:
    Why did you buy a 5 speed? Did you drive the auto?
    The only thing I plan to tow is an aluminum boat and a medium size pop-up camper.By underpowered I meant sluggish and lethargic with the auto when taking off with no load.
    Anyone know of other sites for T-100 reviews especially off-road?
    You might check out these two sites:

www.truckworld.com
    www.fourwheeler.com

I can't say for sure if they have reviews on the T-100, but they seem to review quite a few trucks.
    smi:

Well I took an automatic out for a test drive and
    I just felt more comfortable with a 5 sp. (not to mention that it was about $900 cheaper) I used to have an 86 toy 4x4 that I used to tow my aluminum bass boat. I was the original owner and just sold it with 230,000 miles. Now I need to have my new toy wired up to tow. I just know that
    with this new truck I will not have a single problem towing it.........

jd
    My T100 is due for its first oil change. People here at work have suggested to use synthetic oil over conventional oil. Synthetic is much more expensive but you only change it every 9,000 miles and the filter every 3,000 miles.
    What do you guys think???

I really need some advice here......

jd
  • fredwoodfredwood Member Posts: 79
    Two things happens to motor oil in an engine.
    1. it collects dirt...Looks dirty.
    2. it breaks down due to heat,shear,etc.

Synthetic oil resists breaking down but still has dirt in it. I would stick with traditional oil and the recommended intervals. When all else fails READ YOUR OWNERS MANUAL.
  • edr3edr3 Member Posts: 16
    While I agreed with Fredwood in some respects, I have to disagree with just "reading the owners manual" as if it were the gospel.

The manuals I've had a read all state 7500 miles for oil changes ( normal non-severe useage) and give you a range of oils to use, including 10W40 in some instances I've seen.
    I too change my oil at 3000 miles, but if you use the synthetics you can go the full 7500 mile interval and it should be okay - according to the manufacturer anyway. Rarely have I seen them go outside their comfort zone as far as recommending something for an owner to do or use - most likely due to concerns about liability, etc.
    I've also read that the viscosity enhancers in 10- W40 break down much faster in regular oils - I avoid using them.
    I used synthetics in my Toyota (Mobil 1 10W-30 or 5W-30) in the past. I now get free dealer oil changes, so I don't buy any oil.
    According to the literature I've read, the oil coming out of your vehicle after 3000 - 8000 miles is supposedly still better for your truck than the new standard oils you can put into it. On the other hand Consumer's Digest ran a detailed study using taxis as the test group and found no real benefits to using synthetics over a good multi grade oil. But they drive for hours and don't do a lot of short trips or engine start ups, etc. like a normal user might.
    I likedsynthetics because I was driving in very cold weather (Colorado's mountains) and around a 100 miles a day. I liked the better/quicker flow the synthetics offer in cold weather at start up(the difference is even obvious when changing oil at 40 degrees) and the fact that I didn't have to change the oil as often.

Anyway, that's my two cents!
  • drozdroz Member Posts: 30
    I have a 1991 4 cyl Toyota, an indestructible vehicle that I even use to tow a 14 foot trailer sometimes (of course I can't put anything in it!). I have also recently ordered an F-250 (waiting). I have to say I am proud of the fact I was able to overcome so-called brand loyalty and buy what I considered was the best truck for what I needed now. Plus I am keeping the Toyota for all-around use and great gas mileage. I expect it to last forever and hope the Ford does as well. If I can get another vehicle that starts as well as the Toyota, needs basic mantainance only and has never needed to be taken in for anything, I will, of course be pleased. But, regardless of that, the Toyota won't come close to handling the big stuff.
    To 1782: Have them check the rear-end. I had a bad one in my 98 T100. First one my dealer had ever seen.
    I agree with the the guy who talks about figuring out what you will be doing with the truck. The V-6 auto in the T100 has plenty of power for the average weekend trip to Home Depot etc... All these guys talk about Ford/Chevy/Dodge power but have any of you had one of those truck over 150K. Can you honestly say it drove as well at 150K as the day you drove it away from the dealership? Get Real! Well, every Toyota I've driven with those kind of miles still felt as if it was new. It did not have those inherent dash raddles and general lack of integrity in the front end.
    And as far as looks, different strokes for different folks, I like the T100 Ext. Cab 4x2 because to me it's classy. It's not trying to fufill a little mans syndrome and look like a Peterbilt or Kenworth. It's not loud or too large. I get it out on the highway set the cruise at 80 and one cannot tell your in a truck. The best of both worlds to me. If you like big, knarly, loud and drive something that everyone else has, go for the big sellers.
    For JDIAZ: Synthetic Oil has too much detergent in it. Internally it is too hard on the engine. I run Semi-synthetic. I have a friend who actually is a chemist which deals with just the question you pose. He said the semi is the best. He also said Valvoline is the top oil. I was surprised for I had always run Castrol. He informed me that Castrol buys from the cheapest refineries it can find and blends. Valvoline does not. They are consistent whatever the price with the refineries they use. I think Pennzoil got the other thumbs up. Most Importantly, That is a myth about not having to change your oil if its synthetic. You still should change your oil every 3500 miles.

Good Luck!
    Thanks for all the advice.

Heron I agree with you 100%. I am one of those
    weekend home depot warriors. I bet that a good number of people who own trucks hardly ever use it
    to its maximunm.

jd
  • 34363436 Member Posts: 25
    TO ALL T100 OWNERS I'M GETTING MY MONEY BACK ON MY 97 4X4 EX- CAB DO TO A VIBRATION THAT TOYOTA COULD NOT FIXED.THE ABRITRATER SAID THE TRUCK WAS DEFICTIVE. I FOUND 3/8 OF A INCH DIFFERINCE IN THE WHEEL BASE [ I WORK IN A BODY SHOP 20 YEARS] SO CHECK YOUR TRUCK MY REAR TIRES WERE WEARING. I I THINK IT WAS TRUCKS BETWEEN [10/96-12/96] SINCE TOYOYA CHANGED THE FRAMES IN JAN OF 97.
  • fredwoodfredwood Member Posts: 79
    I wonder what is going to happen to that truck? I bet you'll see it at a used car dealer's lot soon. I glad you got some justice. Its just too bad some poor slob is going to buy it and have to live with the problem.
  • rickroverrickrover Member Posts: 601
    I have a 96 Tacoma 4x4 that is used at or just above it's capacity for towing and loads. It was leased and has had a very hard life. It does not get a lot of miles on it, 21k so far. It goes off lease this December and I'm not sure what I will replace it with. It has had all sorts of problems but has been literally beat hard. It goes for long periods of not being driven and then will have to do a cross country trip loaded to the hilt and towing a small utility trailer and at times have to take it all off road on some really rough trails. It still looks great and the interior is like new, it has buckets and a console, the console has broken twice, I like the ride but it is built really cheaply, it does not hold up to abuse like a Ford or Chevy would, it is falling apart. I would never consider another Toyota. We are leaning toward buying a 4x4 F150 extend cab and plan on keeping it for a long time, the Toyota was a mistake. The reason we leased the Toyota was we knew this vehicle would be abused and went on the durability farce. We actually thought it would be purchased at the end of the lease (no way). It is fully loaded with the locking rear diff. and off road suspension package with 5 speed. It is weak in all areas especially the suspension and transmission. The engine does have sufficient power though. In fact the engine is the only thing I like about the truck.
    Rickover,

Why not go for 3/4 ton (F-250)? I calculate that it's less than $1,000 more to move up to the F-250. It's another $1,000 to move up to the F-350. I ordered a 1999 F-350 SuperDuty and calculated the price of a similarly equiped F-150 was less than $2,000 lower in price. All I can say is to crunch the numbers, but my opinion is that it is a mistake to have less truck than you will need over the life of the truck. How long do you plan to own the truck? Is it possible or probable that your needs will change during that time. I recommend that you look into a 3/4 ton since it sounds like you will be towing periodically.
  • rickroverrickrover Member Posts: 601
    Brutus,

Thanks for the info., I really like the SuperDuty Fords. Size is a little bit of a concern especially when we take it off road. The nice thing about something the size of the Toyota is it's nice in close quarters. We could make a large truck work I guess. I would like to hang on to the next vehicle for a long time. We had a 93 VW Eurovan before the Toyota that was a great highway van. It had 230k miles on it when we got the Toyota in 96. The VW was also totally abused except for maintenance, we take really good care of these vehicles mechanically. What we need is a good highway cruiser that can be taken off road and tow a small utility trailer or sailboat 3,500 pounds max and usually 2000 lbs. When we had the Eurovan I used my Range Rover for the off road towing but I didn't want to keep beating it that hard. I would not be opposed to a diesel or turbo diesel engine. It is possible this next vehicle could have a lot of miles put on it from time to time. I like to keep vehicles for at least 200k miles. I would like to keep the price at 25k and don't need a bunch of options. Just tilt, cruise, air, power windows and locks, prefer cloth seats and would not mind rubber floor cover instead of carpeting. I would want a locking diff and all the heavy duty cooling, towing and off road options. I will provide my own killer sound system so it does not have to have tunes at all.
    Maybe just a basic heavy duty work type of truck. Will a SuperDuty extend cab 4x4 fit in a standard garage?
    rickover,

I don't think the new Superduty will fit in a standard garage. I believe they are 81 inches tall, 80 inches wide, and the length of the regular cab is 226 inches, which is nine inches longer than the 1997 regular cab.

I wasn't necessarily meaning that you should consider a Superduty. It sounds like you may not need a heavy duty truck. I was thinking more along the lines of the F-250 light duty. It's the same bodystyle as the F-150. The F-250 heavyduty is the one that is made in the bodystyle of the Superduty. One thing that I did notice is that I think the F-250 light duty 4x4 only comes in a short bed, but that may be what you're looking at anyway. I was just tossing the 3/4 ton out as an option to consider. I'm sure the 1/2 ton should do fine for you. The Superduty trucks sound like more truck than you probably need.
This discussion has been closed.