Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Acura MDX Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• cvistacvista Member Posts: 54
    I went there the other day and they are totally unprofessional. No wonder they are playing games. The sales guy was least interested in selling the MDX. He lied twice. He claimed that that the 4.9 APR promotion ends on July 30th. These idiots have no clue that people are 10X smarter than them these days.
  • nngo1nngo1 Member Posts: 2
    Looking to buy a mdx w/ tech. Went to the dealership salesman offered it for 40,800 (including destnation). Sale person says that I can only get this offer until today since its the end of the month. Is this a good price or should i wait it out more?
  • mdjaymdjay Member Posts: 3
    We got our sport/ent MDX first part of July from Portland Acura in Portland Oregon for $46,450 and 2.9% (36 months). The price included tow package, all-weather mats, cargo tray, cargo cover and destination. We were dealing with various dealers in the area (including Seattle's) and found Portland Acura (or maybe just this one particular sales person) to be most pleasant & easy to deal with. They also had the best price at the time. It only took a couple emails for them to beat other dealers' best offers.
  • sookmdxsookmdx Member Posts: 4
    Surfup,

Nope that's the correct price. It's actually $1,025 below invoice. MSRP was $45,695 + $670 destination. So the total discount below MSRP was $5,295.

OTD was $44k something....Sorry I don't have the exact figure with me. That and the 2.9% apr makes for a weekend well spent.

Again, they didn't tack on any dealer added accessories. Once I got into finance, I told the guy up front that I didn't want any additional warrenties, lojack, etc. and he complied without ever questioning my decision. Best car buying experience EVER!

Good luck!
  • sookmdxsookmdx Member Posts: 4
    Surfup,

I was in negotiations with 14 dealerships in SoCal, from Calabasas to South Orange County. The next best deal I got was $41,904 before destination.
  • wjf12wjf12 Member Posts: 6
    newmdx1:

What dealer was this in North Carolina? Sounds like a good deal to me. I'm in Charlotte. Thanks.
  • net2net_99net2net_99 Member Posts: 17
    OK...finally got my MDX today. I effectively got it for an out the door price of 39,150. This includes base MDX with Wheel Locks, Cargo Tray and all-season floor mats.

The experience was a bit educational. I requested internet quotes in mid-July from 5 dealers in 25 mile range from my home. Of the five, 3 of them had the same exact quote once I told them that I was also working with other dealers through internet. It was remarkable that all 3 of them had the same offer. I think they all work toether just like we do in this forum.

However, one of them had offered free options listed above while the other one had sent mass mailings in the area offering 250 off after negotiating best deal on new acura. Towards the end of the month, I took the competitors offer of free options to the other dealer and they beat it by 100 dollars. I then used the 250 off coupon. So I saved $350 on my best deal from the competitor.

The best part is that I negotiated Out the door price for what I wanted so no variables can be introduced in anything. Watch out for minor details in paperwork where they may have intentionally under estimated some of the fees (like MV registration). You end up paying more later. Also make sure that all negotiated options actually reflect on the papers you sign. Always review the final papers before you sign any purchase order or pay any money/deposit.

Good luck to you all.

I didn't like the salesman I was working with. He was very rude and impatient. I almost had to force him to expalin me some of the things about the car features at the time of delivery. He was annoyed when I asked him some questions about how some things worked. So much for the precision award quality.
  • ptran2ptran2 Member Posts: 1
    Yes. We just got an MDX Tech at Sterling McCall Acura in Houston TX off 59S. Go see a guy name Thao Hoang. Great customer service. He was really helpful and will work hard on getting you a great deal!

-Peter
  • nngo1nngo1 Member Posts: 2
    I just got a mdx tech at Rosenthal in Maryland for 42000 out the door and 10 percent of any acc. I wanted. Very pleasant experience, much better then Tisher which seems like I was constantly lied to. I hope this was a good deal?? Ask for Authur if you go to Rosenthal.
  • surfsupsurfsup Member Posts: 12
    Thanks for the confirmation sookmdx. Sounds lke you got a screamin deal. I live in south OC, so I'm definitely going to check out the South Bay dealer.
  • khanzhkhanzh Member Posts: 13
    thanks for the heads up peter, i called them, but spoke to another salesman,

they quoted me a lease of 685 per month, all in, for a tech/ent 36 mos/ 12k. with a 2k + 1st month payment down.

dont know if i can do better then this deal. I'm 80% sure that i'm going to go for it, but gonna get them to get rid of the 1st month payment component of the down payment.

thanks again for the info, stewart McCall is it then :shades:
    Which dealer in NJ ??
    What was the price without taxes and destination. Can you let us know.

Was it below invoice ??
    I bought from Bridgewater Acura. It was 36.2 K including destination. Options were free (included in the price). Remember that they let me use their $250 check coupon to be used as a payment so that reduces my out the door price to be 39150 from 39400. That reflects on price too.
    Cool. You are smart.
    Where did you get that $250 coupon ??. Was there a trade-in involved and did you get the promotional APR ??. Can you plz provide the sales person contact ??

Why I'm asking is, this is a very good price. Never saw a similar deal.
  • jammikejammike Member Posts: 38
    net2net_99,
    Can you give the complete breakup ? ie how much was the vehicle cost incl destination, Tax, DMV Charges, Processing etc. This sounds too good to be true. I was negotiating with them and didnt come close to this. Where did you get the coupon from and at what stage did you show them ?
  • bodidbodid Member Posts: 88
    I've been quoted 41,500 for an MDX Sport within the last two weeks. It appears the money factors and residuals are 'locked' in place until early September so waiting for numbers to go down is irrelevent at this point. Has anyone seen better numbers on the Sport in the tri-state area? many dealers in the NY/NJ area are stocked with Sports and are willing to deal on them as opposed to base or tech MDX's.

Anyone out there in the 'process' care to comment on what they're seeing as of this week?

Bo.
    Does this include destination ???
  • metaldavemetaldave Member Posts: 8
    Where have you gotten that quote? I've just started the process of looking for an MDX and I've been wavering between the Sport and the Tech. For that price, I would get the Sport.
    Here are the details:

Vehicle: MDX 07 Base with Wheel Locks, All season floor mats and Cargo tray in the color I wanted. They had to get it from a different dealer.

Price (incl Dest) 36348.13
    Tax 2544.37
    Reg/title Est 242.00 (Dealer pays difference if actual fees are higher)
    Doc Fee 258.00
    Tire Fee 7.50
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - --- - - - - - - - - --
    Total 39400.00
    less coupon 250.00
    Net Total 39150.00
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - --
    The coupon was mailed in May or June by the dealership to my home in what appeared to be a mass mailing type of campaign. I presented the coupon after negotiating my out the door price. The coupon was like a fake check that said use this as an additional discount after negotiating your best deal.
    No trade-ins involved. Clean deal, cash purchase. They offered the 2.9/4.9 APR financing promotion but I declined. Coupon was sent by mail a month or two ago by the dealership as a marketing campaign of some sorts.
    The sales person was very rude, impatient and unhelpful. His only role in this purchase was to do the transaction. Mostly everything was through e-mail or phone to their sales manager who seem intimidating. Sorry, no names are allowed to be posted in this forum.
  • willthethrilwillthethril Member Posts: 3
    Shaig,

We had the same experience at Acura of Bellevue. They acted like they were doing us a favor by giving us $3,000 over invoice. Avoid Acura of Seattle as well. I had a "firm" deal with their floor manager (after 2 days of haggling back and forth) at invoice over the phone only to have the "sales manager" call me back before we went in to sign the paperwork to say there was a misunderstanding between him and the floor manager and that the new offer was $1200 over invoice.

We just picked up a MDX w/ Tech/Ent from Acura of Lynnwood over the weekend. Couldn't have been happier with the experience. Ask to speak directly with the Internet Manager or General Sales Manager.
  • dms9dms9 Member Posts: 137
    Its a good price. I paid 1K more a couple months ago in Maryland.
  • grandzugrandzu Member Posts: 26
    So if I finance the car, can I do the registration and plates on my own or am I required to do it thru the dealer? It seems like another opportunity for them to stick on additional charges.

A couple of years back I bought a car all cash, we worked out a number and that is all I paid. They just stuck a temp plate on it, I drove it out and I did the rest, tax, plates, registration. Is that not the case if I finance?
  • vinnynyvinnyny Member Posts: 764
    They will almost certainly charge you a "doc" fee or processing fee, so you might as well let them do the work for you. I've bought ten cars in the last 10 years and fought with my dealer every time about the fee. However, I only got them to waive the doc fee once. I bought the car over the internet and had it shipped to another state.
  • grandzugrandzu Member Posts: 26
    That doc fee is such garbage. Did you finance the cars?
    Like I said when I bought a Toyota about a year or so ago it never even came up. My offer of was accepted and thats what I paid.
    Interest rates on cars have been so low for the past five years or so that you'd be crazy not to finance. If somebody is willing to give you money for half what you can earn on it, I say take it every time. Many credit unions still have 4.9% money available (both my Honda Ody and my BMW are on 60 month loans for under 4%).

But you're right, one should always try to can get the doc fees rolled into your "walk" number.
  • parker4551parker4551 Member Posts: 58
    Reading some of the posts here, I can't believe anyone is paying more than invoice right now. Ought to be a little less. Acura has to compete with everyone else, they want to sell cars, if you get a hint that a dealership sucks, leave before it gets worse.
    I just bought my MDX Sport/ent for 43,000 everything included but the tax, I bought out of state. I didn't have to deal with any crap. No four square, no here are your payments, or our car is too good for you crap. Sell me the car, and move on, or I will. Let the suckers go out of business. I will pay more to avoid buying from a crappy dealership.
  • mshatbymshatby Member Posts: 2
    If this helps, I just bought last week from Johns Eagle Acura, Houston, Sports/ent in Aspen white with window tint, nitrogen, free oil/filter for 4 years for $44,245 + TTL. I installed chrome side steps($717) and body side molding($255). No doc fees or any other costs.
    I also ended geeting the 7yr/100K ext warranty for $1675.
  • tompharmdtompharmd Member Posts: 1
    Hello Parker!
    can you please tell me where did you buy your car?
    thanks
  • gb1431gb1431 Member Posts: 2
    willthethril,

I am also planning to buy at Acura of Lynnwood. MDX 07 Sport/Ent. package. With Roof Rail/Crossbar, Chromed Running Board. They quote me MSRP $54,133.00. and the Out Of The Door Price $59,392.09. I did not make any offer and told them that I have to search the internet before making any offer, and they agree to call them back on monday. How much do you think is the fair price for this configuration or should I use the COSTCO AUTO PROGRAM instead.
    Did you pay below or above invoice with your deal to them.
    59,393 out of the door for an Acura MDX ??? Are you kidding me ??. Is this in USD or some other currency

The invoice shouldn't be more than 44,500. No one is paying more than invoice these days. Either the dealer is stupid or he thinks you are stupid. You can get a fully loaded X5 for that price.
  • wilsontwilsont Member Posts: 8
    You can check with internet managers online for quote, find 1 or 2 with best prices and go there to finalize the deal if you think price is ok. I can assure you, after seeing this MSRP offer, you will LOVE those prices.

One personal experience is that the downtown dealers are more tricky than small town ones. So even they offer the same price, I'll go for small town ones if it is not too far(within 30-40 miles). I live in Bay Area and pick up my MDX/Tech last Saturday. That's just my feeling. YMMV.
  • fxguyfxguy Member Posts: 132
    $59K OTD for an MDX?? Are they throwing in a new Civic LX with it??
  • sjk3sjk3 Member Posts: 9
    did anyone buy mdx w/sport package recently in northern jersey..if so whats the best deal you got.am looking to buy one in a week or two,so really appreciate if you guys can share the best deal you got in NJ and which dealer...thank you
    gb1431,

Are you sure the $54,133 is correct? That is about $6k higher than the MSRP showing on Edmunds and about $9k higher than what you realistically should be able to get this car for in western Washington. I know that people on this board from around the country have been getting deals below invoice, but that just is not happening here in the NW. I would aim for around $200 - $600 over invoice as a realistic target, depending on the time of the month. Also, ask to speak to the sales manager/internet manager to skip past the consultants who have no negotiating authority.

Don't waste your time with the Costco program - in the Seattle area, they will send you to Acura of Bellevue which has an exclusive with Costco in western Washington. After luring you into the showroom with a promise of "exclusive aggresive Costco pricing", Bellevue will reveal that their "non-negotiable" Costco price is $2,500 over invoice...not much of a deal.

Finally, although my buying experience with Acura of Lynnwood was head and shoulders better than Acura of Seattle or Acura of Bellevue, I thought their pricing on accessories was about 30% higher than the other dealerships. So I ended up buying the running boards, front/rear garnishment and roof rail/crossbar online (hondaacuraworld). Surprisingly, there was also a huge discrepancy in how much the dealerships charged for installation. Bellevue and Lynnwood, for example, gave me quotes for installing these accessories that were 50% higher than Acura of Seattle.
  • hrayhray Member Posts: 4
    I got a Sport Pkg yesterday @ $42,202 from the world largest Acura dealership located in VA.
    Please share the details (dealer, numbers break down, etc.)
  • kdkkdk Member Posts: 1
    Just bought a 2007 MDX base model today in Northern Virginia. We got it for $37,736 - price includes destination charge, wheel locks, roof rack and body side moulding.

Acura still has the 2.9% financing for 36 months.
  • feb04feb04 Member Posts: 5
    For the folks living in Houston who are looking to buy an MDX - I wanted to let them know where I was on my research and negotiations.

I am looking to buy one with Tech and Ent Pkg. Black ext no pref on interior color.

I have been negotiating with all the dealers in Houston and the lowest I have got right now is 42,500 plus TTL.

John eagle is giving free oil change for 4 yrs but they are more then making up that cost by charging you $219 for putting nitrogen in your tires (Which you did not ask for) and $200 odd for tining the front mirrors - which in the local market will cost you less then $100.

If anyone else in Houston has any experiences to share - please do share.

Thx
  • shaigshaig Member Posts: 14
    And on an odd note, Acura of Seattle is trying to hold firm on 2% over dealer cost. Has anyone else seen this type of behavior in the NW?

Note, that is markedly higher than invoice and includes prep, detailing, delivery, etc...
    It comes out to $1100 over invoice.
  • shaigshaig Member Posts: 14
    Which sales person did you work with? Do you have contact info for them?
  • kodali99kodali99 Member Posts: 2
    Hi Feb04,

Can you give the dealership name and details? I am also in market for Tech & Ent.

Thx
  • hrayhray Member Posts: 4
    Pohanka Acura in Chantilly VA
    I went to all three...John Eagle, Sterling McCall & Champion.

Be careful at John Eagle - they tell you that they will give you 4 yrs of free oil change but charge you for Nitrogen and Window tinting, we you dont really want.
  • gb1431gb1431 Member Posts: 2
    willthethril,

Yes $54,133.00 with RR & CB, tow package and the 20" wheels that my wife really like on the showroom. Out of the door $59,392.09 this is the quote he gave to me to take home and think over for counter offer. We just decide not to call them back and not get embarrassed if we ask for below invoiced. Anyway Acura of Seattle just wasted my time this afternoon Monday 8/06/07. The salesman that I am supposed to meet at 2:00 pm did not show up. He reply on my e-mail and talk to me on the phone last Friday 8/03/07 . I asked for invoice +TTL and to my surprise ask me when do I want to pick-up the car. The salesman this afternoon was nice and helpful but the floor manager kinda rude and telling me that are trying to put me out of business? I said no I'm here to pick-up the car. He said the salesman that I talked last Friday 8/03/07 doesn't have the authority to negotiate the price. I said okay. Then I left. I guessed I will wait for the end of the month and see what is up there for me. Thank you anyway for all your help in this very informative discussion.
  • ariaawariaaw Member Posts: 2
    I worked with the same three above. I purchased the 2007 base model MDX this weekend from Champion Acura. Paid invoice - about $37k with destination. I couldn't get any of the other dealerships close to what Champion offered. I worked with a young fleet manager. It was a fairly painless purchase.

Highly recommend giving him a call.
  • acuradriver2acuradriver2 Member Posts: 3
    I bought a sport/Ent for invoice + $150 from John Eagle. No other costs added ( even though I also got the N2 and the Tint). I may not be using the oil changes since I live about 45 min away.
    gb1431,

Acura of Seattle played the same game with us last week. We reached our "at invoice" deal with the floor manager over the course of two days of negotiating over the phone only to have the sales manager pull the deal and come back with $1,200 over invoice just before we were going in to sign the paperwork. Apparently, the floor manager didn't have the authority to negotiate the price either.

I think I've seen the MDX you're talking about. They were pulling a MDX you described into the showroom last weekend after they pulled the one we picked up out of the showroom. That is one sweet looking ride with those rims. However, even with the upgraded wheels, $54k is still way to high. Like I mentioned before, Lynnwood overcharges for accessories/labor in the showroom. Acura of Lynnwood actually operates an Ebay web-store that sells the same parts for about half of what they quote you in the showroom (+shipping and tax since they won't allow you to pick up locally). Those wheels should be around $1,600 and of course you'll have to add on the cost of the tires. The RR & CB should not be more than $350 + $120 for installation based on the prices I got.

Also try Hinshaw's Acura down in Fife. Although they couldn't match Lynnwood's price on the MDX for us, they were pleasant and helpful.
    acuradriver2 -

How long ago was that? Could you give me some details about who to spoke with and what did you do to get such a deal? I spent over an hr with them and they were not willing to go down on the price.