Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Acura MDX Prices Paid and Buying Experience

gotothelightgotothelight Member Posts: 31
edited January 2014 in Acura
Ok, so now you have a special place to vent your frustrations over the price people pay for the their MDX. Doudoudid, I'm not sure what you were trying to say but I think you meant something to the effect that MDX owners are a bunch of mindless zombies that obey Acura by paying MSRP. Do I have that right? Since you had no real substance in your post I'll just ignore it. Leokadia1, no matter how you do the math, buying an MDX in the USA is not $10k more for the same thing in Canada. Now, since you didn't do your homework like I told you to, I did it for you. I checked out what a fully loaded Ford Explorer EB edition would cost. In reading the Infiniti Qx4 board, I saw that someone had just bought a Ford Explorer EB for $33.4K (including dealer discount of $1,500.00). Now in comparing the MDX at its base price of $35K ( which has most options) to the Ford, you can see the MDX is 1.6K more then the Ford. You said that you would not buy an MDX until you get $2,500 off MSRP, which means what you want is to pay $32500, or $900 less then a similarly equipped Ford.

Comments

• will4271will4271 Member Posts: 187
    IMO, it the price doesn't fit don't buy it.
  • sbcookesbcooke Member Posts: 2,297
    I paid MSRP and had to also add rear mud guards and wheel locks. I financed a lot of it with a 6.65%/72 month loan. While I have become accustomed to the 2 tier pricing (MSRP and Invoice), doing comparison shopping, I think the MDX is reasonably priced compared to others in its class.
  • landcruisermanlandcruiserman Member Posts: 14
    Paid MSRP for base model that I picked up in January 2002 and paid a reduced price ($75)for the roof rack. The MDX is well worth the price.
  • woodard1woodard1 Member Posts: 37
    I have the Base /w Nav. No added extra's (yet) I paid 33,978. They discounted the car -800 MSRP and I had equity in my ODY>
  • victoriovictorio Member Posts: 1
    I was looking for a 2002 MDX touring, so I decided to fax all the dealers within a 100 miles radius.

Out of the 24 dealers that received faxes, eight responded. Four provided MSRP prices. Three offer MSRP plus $2k-$3k of non-negotiable options. One wanted $3k over sticker. And one single one offered $500 under MSRP.

For all of them there was a projected waiting period of 2-6 months.

I'm now waiting to place an order for a 2003 MDX. I will contact the dealers that responded with reasonable numbers and see what I can get...

I do agree that, it is a funny feeling waiting for a vehicle and having to pay MSRP (I have always negotiated succesfully a discount of no less than $1k-3K). But after reviewig the "current" alternatives I see no other SUV for me than the MDX or a Pilot. The features fit my family to a tee. Seating for Seven, Good Power, AWD, Does not look like or is a minivan, good value for the money, etc.
    That's great, I think $800 under MSRP is a decent amount. Especially next to prices the Pilot is selling for.
  • leokadia1leokadia1 Member Posts: 94
    I paid $30,980 for a 2003 Pilot Silver EX-L, $4,220.00 less than a base 2002 MDX. Plus its 240 HP 3.5 v6 uses regular gas!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Waiting for Honda really paid off, and I'm driving a 2003 not a 2002!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • kai_mingkai_ming Member Posts: 33
    Hello woodard1,

Would you share which state you are in?
    I would appreciate the information.
    I'm in Georgia. I drove down to Duval Acura in Jacksonville FL. (100 miles) and dealt with Anthony. I had a great exp. with them. I inquired about avail. and pricing on a tuesday. They had three on the lot then. By thursday none! But luckily for me i wanted a Bk/Bk and it arrived on thursday morning and he brought it half way for me to test drive and we signed papers on a friday night!
    **leokadia1--That's wonderful I'm glad you got a car your happy with. As for me I'm happy with my ole' oh what do they call it?
    Hello woodard1,

Thanks for sharing info. Did you pay MSRP-$800? I have been following
    this brd for several months. MSRP-$800 is the lowest. You are a lucky guy or a good negotiator! I have no such
    luck as I live in NJ.

Would you share your exp?
    Did it involve a trade in? Tough negotiation? You know the dealer? Is it your impression that there is no line? Some dealers in NJ have a long line.
    Needless to say, below MSRP is difficult if not
    impossible.
    Actually, I'm a lucky girl.LOL I got -800 off MSRP. They do have some cars presold but have some still not spoken for. I did trade in a lease vechile and they gave me 3000 equity in my 00 ody. No I did'nt know the dealer I just looked them up on Acura's site and called and ask for a salesman. Questioned him about pricing and inventory and told him I had a Pilot coming and told him my "deal" with my trade on the Pilot and he said he'd call me back in 20. When he did that's the deal he gave me and I jumped on it! I went down on a Friday evening the 7th of June got there at 7p.m. after work and they delivered the car like they had just opened for business! Stayed till 9 and toured the service dept. ect. It was quick and painless.LOL
    woodard1,
    Thanks. You gave us a baseline as to what is
    achievable. Perhpas, Pilot and 03-mdx have lessen the demand for 02-mdx. We are also waiting to see
    what is the price/safety-features/performance
    of the 03 versus pilot to make a decision.
  • tom208tom208 Member Posts: 1
    Also got mud guards, floor mats, and cargo tray as freebies/With no DIOs. I wanted to get the pilot.. But jumped on this deal.. They have 1 more MDX base model with premium package.. Blk/Blk.. $34k... The dealership is in Flushing, NY..
  • vikasshah2000vikasshah2000 Member Posts: 1
    Hi Tom28,

Apparently, there is no Acura dealership in Flushing, NY. Did you buy your MDX from either Long Island City or Brooklyn? Also, could you please share the name of the sales person you negotiated the deal with?
  • connie334connie334 Member Posts: 2
    We ordered a black/black MDX touring with NAVI on June 1, put a deposit down for one that was coming in with target date of June 15. Since then, date was pushed to June 20. ANyway, the car came in today! BUT when we called today to check on status so we can pick it up...we were told that they sold the car to the owner's friend instead! Is this legal? Is there anything we can do?
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    This sounds like a question for Any Questions for a Car Dealer? Please post your question there.

KarenS
    Host
    Owners Clubs
    You can wait for the next one to come in, or get on the phone and shop around elsewhere. I think otherwise you are SOL.
  • schulhofschulhof Member Posts: 71
    A fairly local dealer has a few MDX he is expecting in over the next few weeks (not months) that are not spoken for.

He is offering:

1) MSRP
    2) No added accessories

So is not really the highly sought after deal anymore? Are we shooting for at least MSRP -$500??

Funny thing is my time line is really by years end. I have a '96 Trooper with 108k that I just replaced front brakes and belts on (ouch!)

So I am the wrong buyer since I am not in a rush. Really might wait until '03 to get a factory or dealer installed DVD rather than an aftermarket hatchet job.

Thanks in advance for any comments.
  • rodeodawgrodeodawg Member Posts: 19
    FACTS: I am fortunate to live within about 10 miles of an Acura dealership, and I can order a MDX there to pay MSRP for a mid August delivery. Acknowledging I can't get a discount off MSRP, I am dissatisfied with the minimal effort my salesman put into the deal. Two quick test drives, but he never made any follow up contact. Until I called him today, I had planned to wait until he followed up with me to let him know I wanted the MDX. Regardless, the internet salesman at a dealership 200 miles away (in my old hometown) seemed super nice on the phone and followed up with a long email about upcoming availability and quoted me MSRP and $99 doc fees, with a refundable deposit. *My* dealership has a non-refundable deposit, $199 doc fees, and he says neither item is negotiable.

Here are my questions for the group: Am I just lashing out about paying MSRP and therefore nit-picking about the higer doc fees and nonrefundability? I haven't been treated poorly, but, at the same time, I haven't been treated the way (I perceive) a potential $40K car buyer should be. If I decide to visit mom and dad and save $100, should I anticipate hassles down the road trying to get service locally?

(Feel free to tell me to stop being petty and go buy the MDX.)
  • nickg5nickg5 Member Posts: 16
    Hi everybody,

I am also split between the two. Me and my wife test drove the Pilot and we like it. The dealer was nice and knowledgable. He also was trying to explain the supply and demand concept to explain that they charged $3k over MSRP, which was a bit irritating since I concider it a lame justification. If he offered it a MSRP he may have gotten a sale.

Now the MDX is nice. I have not yet driven one but will try this weekend. I want to see the difference between them and consider if it is 'worth' the 3-4k more.

On another note I want the DVD system. Which is not available in the MDX. I heard that it is available in the 2003 MDX but I am sure it will push the price another 1000 over as well.

Oh well choices ...

cheers

Nick
  • benzrulesbenzrules Member Posts: 13
    I typically give my business to the person who provides better service. In a commodity industry like these types of vehicles (I took delivery of a Pilot today) since there is typically no negotiation on price, I would go for the service. The problem I have with these types of situations is that some salespeople assume that the car will just sell itself, so they can excert little effort and still make the sell. I don't buy that. For a car selling at what the Pilot and MDX sell for (while not overpriced IMO, they are not "cheap"), you should get as long as you want on the test drive, as many test drives as you want within reason, and the sales person should be EXTREMELY familar with the vehicle. Having the luxury of living in a large city (Houston), I had about 12 Honda dealers to choose from. While quite a few had multiple vehicles in stock, and all were willing to sell at MSRP with no forced DIOs or BS fees, the place I purchased mine from was strictly based on service from the salesman. He took over an hour explaining all the features of the car to us (before the test drive) and then took another hour to answer questions when we returned a few days later. I've purchased two Mercedes in the last few years and always bought them based on service (three dealerships in the area). Screw the local guy and go for the service (and the homecooked meal from Mom). And unless the local dealer owner is a complete idiot, you should have no trouble getting your car serviced locally. That is where they make money in the long run anyway. Good luck!

Benz
    You are on the MDX board. The MDX rules! Not to take anything away from the pilot, it is a good vehicle, the MDX is just far superior! :)

DVD can be put in the MDX, either aftermarket or DIO. I would go with the aftermarket. I am not sure, but in the pilot and odyssey you cannot have the DVD and NAV? I don't know if it holds true with an aftermarket system?
    Please do yourself justice and drive the MDX before making a decision. I test drove the Pilot for three days and while "waiting" to take delivery I started looking at the MDX. What was so special about this car? I could'nt for the life of me figure why anyone would pay more for basically the same vechile? The MDX dealer was over 100 miles away so we loaded up and meet the salemans halfway and then I knew I was WRONG! All I can say is sit in it, feel it, drive it, fall in love with it! Happy Driving which ever you choose. I'm at 700 miles with my BK/BK MDX and I love that car!
    I discovered the MDX only after my local Honda dealer added so many accessories to the Pilots in stock that the MDX and Pilot became the same price. At the same price, the Pilot cannot compare to the MDX (and maybe that's why 2 out of the 3 Pilots that were on the Franklin, TN Honda dealership are still there).
    Well I went last weekend and they had 3-4 MDX's in the lot all spoken for. Sales guy was nice but he did not try too much. He did mentioned that the car sells itself. That said we asked him to put down some numbers...

I wanted a MDX with touring and nothing else. Well how about $41k. He put about 5-6 options in a package that I never saw itemized prices for. I may be willing to pay MSRP which is 37,800. Now it does not include a DVD system, that I have to add at about $1-2k.

On the other hand I saw a black Pilot and it looked good... I looked on the window sticker it was $39k!!! It had the same options like the MDX for about $2k and also a $3k markup. It did not even have the DVD system.

Still one more option I need to evaluate.

Cheers

Nick
    Was that from Honda? or did the dealer make up his own? $39K, absurd. You can definitely get the MDX for MSRP. I know, I did. There are people getting Pilot's for MSRP, but it seems harder. Don't accept it with options you don't want...they can take running boards off too.
    A dealership that's going to add thousands of dollars worth of options on a car "because they can" shouldn't be trusted. If they apply that mentality to sales, who's to say they don't do it for the service department too?
  • leep2leep2 Member Posts: 2
    Test droved the MDX and Pilot and still trying to decide between the both. Could get either one at MSRP. The MDX seems more agile and exterior looks more stylish. Pilot a lot cheaper. Overall, I like the MDX better but should I wait until the 2003 comes out and make my decision?
    now that I am thinking there must have been a markup on the MDX as well.

I see the touring version is ~$37k. I cannot imagine that those things were worth in excess of $4k.

the funny thing is that the one the were just driving in did not have any of those 'options'
    but the guys said that 'we order them from the factory with that option' When I asked him that all those are dealer installed options and they did not have to be installed he said that maybe one or two can be skipped. I thought that was absurd. But hey if folks are going for it and the dealer can get away why not...

Cheers

Nick

PS: sorry to intersect Pilot info on the MDX board but they did the same thing. Noumerous things packaged up (but not itemized) and a big markup.
    Those options are not "WORTH" $4K more. However, they gouge on the options. Here is are some examples of the cut sheet that my dealer presented me for options...$599 wood grain steering wheel, $250 cargo liner, $75 cargo net, $189 wood grain shift nob, $995 trailer hitch. Outrageous. So if a plastic cargo liner can be $250, what do you think a DVD player is going for $3500? Market price at a place like Best Buy is under or at $1000.
  • inky4inky4 Member Posts: 238
    Gray market vehicle?
    Not new if not from a U.S. Acura dealership.
    What are you talking about, a mall? If an acura dealer then they have a name, the name would be on the sticker even if part of some big conglomerate. This car has an MSO correct?
    Please advise. Very curious.
    INKY
  • kennyg5kennyg5 Member Posts: 360
    I was in Long Island, New York today looking at RLs and MDXs. Two Acura dealerships told me that they want MSRP plus $1k for the MDX, but the RL can be had for below invoice. I've never bought a car from an automall and I am a bit concerned about their reliability. What is name of the automall in Flushing and its address? I may want to give it a visit if the price is right and it has a good reputation. Please advise.
    I was in the Acura neighborhood so I went to look at the MDX again.

The dealer has a special solution that the dealer put on the leather and a solution for the exterior of the car. They said that it will repel bird dropping from sticking and prolong the life of the leather.

The dealer wanted $699 for this option. Does anyone know about it ?
  • wmquanwmquan Member Posts: 1,817
    "Does anyone know about it ?"

It's called snake oil, whether you buy it from an Acura or a Kia dealership. Even if it did have some benefits, you can probably buy it for a fraction of what the dealership is charging for it.

Refuse it.
  • aut2bemeaut2beme Member Posts: 1
    I have a Touring w/Navi. Paid MSRP. However, had to buy side steps and chrome wheels. Chrome wheels where $1400. At first I was not going to go through with it.....but could not resist. After you drive the MDX...you'll know why. After looking at other MDX's on the road....the chrome wheels really make the vehicle stand out. Hind sight being 20/20...would not flinch to get the extras that I did.
    Thanks for the info.
  • jebivjebiv Member Posts: 7
    I am choosing between the MDX and the new Volvo XC90 which is due out at the end of 2002.

I was able to get a price for a basic touring model of $40,238. My lease would run about $599 for a 36 month term.

Anyone else see pricing along these lines? What about buying one in Canada and bringing it down? I have heard it has to go through emissions tests which can eliminate any savings. Can anyone comment?
  • bradlake1bradlake1 Member Posts: 48
    Jebiv:

My wife and I are in the same quandry (MDX v XC90). We are leaning towards the X because of Volvo reliability issues (history). That price for the Touring model seems high to me?? Did you check leasecompare.com ?? The lease term you mention I calculated with the NAVI. Do you have accessories added to the base price? One more note, it may be best in the long-run to get a 03' X, especially if you are going to lease. I also look forward to other responses.
  • rerenov8rrerenov8r Member Posts: 380
    If you live near the border and drive it back you might be OK, but Honda/Acura is VERY serious about warranty only applying to vehicles kept in their desiginated country -- be warned!

I honestly do not think that the Volvo will have anything going for it, other than the twisted HYPE that Volvo uses with regards to its safety features. If they spoke the truth, 95% of the safety features are in all vehicles.

Where did you get the price you quote? That is way too high for an '02 MDX with just touring. Why do want to lease? Honda's high residual value should make owning much more attractive (the Volvo lease will probably be smarter, unless you {shudder, repair costs, shudder} want to keep a Volvo longer than 48 months)...
  • lok3lok3 Member Posts: 5
    Does anyone know how much do you pay for 2002 MDX in Boston area? How long do I have to wait for silver one with touring package? Any words for 2003 model?
  • mrshuttermrshutter Member Posts: 1
    We just took delivery of a 2002 MDX last Thursday, July 25th. I lease vehicles due to owning my own business.(Use those before tax dollars) Have been leasing for years through Ham Wallace at Hoover & Associates in Nashville. Total cap cost was $ 40,865. This was a touring/navi with side steps, wood meter panel, wood shift knob, all season mats, rear splash guards, and front air deflector. The car actually came from the Acura dealer in Knoxville, TN. My leasing guy says the local dealer will not discount any from MSRP to an outside leasing company.

The local dealer, Gary Force Acura in Brentwood TN, could not come close to the lease terms I received. During a 48 month lease I will save about $35/month and and did not have to put up $1800 up front like the dealer wanted. I put up $700 which was the first month's lease plus license, taxes and title fees. My total savings over 4 years will be about $2800 plus the residual at lease end was $2,000 lower than the dealer's. If I want to buy at lease end I have saved a total of $ 4,800. That buys a lot of gas.

My wife and I love the MDX so far after about 175 miles. We had a Mercedes ML320 before this and the MDX is much nicer inside, has a better ride, handles better, and on and on and on.

I did a lot of "lurking" on this board before deciding on the MDX so thought I'd share my pricing experience with you. I'll keep active on the board and look for ideas as well as share any I have.

Mark
  • dcmdxdcmdx Member Posts: 1
    Just put down a deposit for a base MDX today at Radley Accura in Northern VA. Got MSRP with $500 credit toward options of my choice and processing fee is waived (saving $189). Options' prices are below the MRSP prices shown on acura.com

Saleman were very courteous and straight forward. Got my deal via an auto buying service. Don't rememer the name, but their DC region phone number is 301-657-1920. It supposed to be a deal for federal credit union members. But apparently anyone can call them up and use their services. (Guess they make money on commission on a sale of the MDX, since I did not get a separate charge for using the service!?)

Walked into the dealership, mention the auto buying service, saleman review the deal stated above, check delivery date and put down a deposit and walk out the door all done within 1 hour. Very pleasant buying experience. Could have got a car in Beige color the next day, but someone beat me to it. My expected delivery date is mid August.

I've been reading this board for a while. Just want to return the favor and share my experience.
    Thank you all.

D.Dinh
  • david1213david1213 Member Posts: 1
    Thanks for the posting on Radley Acura. Any other experiences purchasing an MDX in Northern Va/DC such as Pohanka? Also, does anyone know when the 2003's come out? I'd be curious if it would be better to wait till they do to get a better deal on a 2002. Any info appreciated.
  • mickdalymickdaly Member Posts: 1
    I just bought my first MDX (and Acura) from Pikes Peak Acura in Colorado Springs (Leif Clinard, the new car sales manager). A great price, very responsive and he is delivering the car to me in Glenwood Springs (3 hours away)!
  • rudy331rudy331 Member Posts: 27
    See that you went for the chrome wheels. I have ordered a 2003 (Washingon, D.C. area) and after seeing your message asked the salesman and checked Acura website without any luck. The salesman indicates he has no knowledge of Acura offering chrome wheels for the MDX. Are they actually Acura wheels or aftermarket that the dealer put on??? Any info would be appreciated. I have them on my current car and both my husband and I agree what a difference!!!
  • wmquanwmquan Member Posts: 1,817
    Acura doesn't have specific chrome wheels. Many dealers, Acura or otherwise, will offer chrome wheels from another source.

I've also heard of some owners getting the Acura wheels chromed. I think I saw someone from CA with that done. Basically, they traded in their brand-new wheels (plus a fee) for a set that had been chromed from the previous person who traded in their new wheels for chromed ones.
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    Check Edmunds.com Used Power Shopper for a used car selling service in your area.
  • nm2nm2 Member Posts: 9
    I just put down a deposit for a '03 Touring w/ Navi today for MSRP, due for delivery in Dec/Jan. Since info has yet to be released, we don't know what the exact $ will be, but dealer says it should be ~$500 more than '02 MSRP. We went to the Precision Acura in Princeton, NJ. They were very friendly, courteous and patient with our numerous questions. Our dealer told us the prices, options, & color swatches for the '03 models should be coming within the next 2 weeks.
  • eagleeye3eagleeye3 Member Posts: 44
    Just walked away from So Cal dealer who insisted on $1K markup on top MSRP for a base MDX. I offered a couple hundred over MSRP, but no movement - cash in hand on a Monday night no less. Since I was paying cash, he was unwilling to deal since there was no trade to lowball or financing to earn $$/incentives on the backend. Pain free experience, very honest dealer, they obviously believe someone is going to roll in and pay it. Oh well, looks like I'll have to settle for the Pilot EXL at MSRP, which is easily attainable in San Diego. No question that the base MDX is worth the $4220 difference (warranty, moonroof, fog lights, styling, wheels, etc..), but you add the markup to vehicle in the last month of production year - I'll pass.
  • michailee1michailee1 Member Posts: 3
    Does anyone know if the 03 will have a bigger motor?