Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Acura MDX Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• gregy1300gregy1300 Member Posts: 4
    Hi
    I am planning to you Acura MDX ent/tech package. Can you please tell me whats the on road price you got from Springfield Acura

Thanks
  • aaronv88aaronv88 Member Posts: 3
    I am looking forward on purchesing MDX 08 with tech package only. How much should i be paying for and which dealer should i go to? Please list all the fees i should be just paying for. Thanks i should be purchesing within the next 2 weeks.
  • flemo123flemo123 Member Posts: 20
    Prime Acura in Massachusetts were running radio ads over the weekend with the 2.9% for up to 60 months. I popped by Herb Connolly Acura (also MA) to let my wife see the car but the salesman had no knowledge of that deal. Seems strange that it isn't being publicized consistently. I'm thinking maybe you need a credit score in the 800's to get it and it's really just a bait and switch deal.

We clearly weren't buying over the weekend but the salesman told us someone else had just gotten $3K off the MDX with Tech package, i guess making it around $41K and change. Does that seem like a good deal? What's the invoice on the MDX Tech package only. (i'd like the Ent package but it's a lot to pay for a DVD system for the kids).
  • ursamajor1ursamajor1 Member Posts: 39
    I bought a red/parchment '08 MDX Tech from Sunnyvale Acura in Silicon Valley yesterday. Purchase price was $40,100 (including destination), a savings of a bit over $4,300 from MSRP of $44,410 (incl. dest) and about $300 below invoice. I got an excellent lease offer from them (I'll post it in the other thread) but ultimately decided to buy with the 2.9%, 36 month offer (no 60 month 2.9 in Caliornia). The only minor disappointment (aside from the XM, which still hasn't activated after 3 tries - XM tech support is on it) was the finance manager's refusal (adamant, at that) to match Saccucci's price of $2065 on a zero deductible, 8 year, 120k mile extended warranty; his perspective was that the number was $50 above his cost and he wasn't interested. Fair enough, I'll get it from Saccucci, but it would have been nice to throw it in the financed amount. With the law in California prohibiting aftermarket warranty sales to California residents (anti-comsumer theft, imho), I don't think Cal. dealers are used to discounting warranties much.

After a few weeks of hard shopping and some unpleasant (read typical) dealer interactions, the internet sales guy at Sunnyvale was a pleasure to deal with - as I told him on Sunday afternoon, he's an honorable man in a dishonorable profession. They offered me an incredible deal on a TL, but ultimately I wanted an MDX so I went with that despite the more moderate discount. In response to my initial call, they sent through a very detailed lease/buy comparison, and they started with a price really close to where we ended up, i.e. if you don't enjoy the negotiating process you'll start with a great number from them (it helps that they compete heavily with Stevens Creek Acura, which is a low price shop, too, a few miles down the road). No BS, no hard-sell, he showed me the page with MSRP, invoice, his internet price, and his cost after holdback. All around, just a really pleasant experience. If I like this one (and after the drive down to SoCal yesterday afternoon, I'm very happy with the MDX), I'll just keep going to these guys (after doing my research, of course). I'm liking the idea of the upcoming diesel TSX, that could be next. I'm not going to save much money, if any, by shopping around, and the experience was excellent - I highly recommend them to anyone in Northern Cal. (and for those farther afield, flights are cheap to SFO or SJC, alternatively shipping would be less than a grand to most of the western US). I've spent a lot of my last few months on this and other forums, and I'm ready to get my mind back on work. ;->
  • wcd1wcd1 Member Posts: 15
    I received an email from Herb Connolly Acura offering the 2.9%. I can forward it to you if you want it. A lot of these saleman seem misinformed. I would ask to speak to the sales manager directly. I had no problems getting the rate. They told me it's offered to anyone. I dealt with Acura of Boston however.
  • mmdad_nymmdad_ny Member Posts: 4
    I know its a big question, but do any of you have a sense of what may happen after March 3rd? Any whispers as to what the deals may be then? I'm in the market for a Tech/Ent in NY and would hate to miss the boat on a a good deal, but could also wait if I knew something good was coming along. BTW, I'm pretty much focused on a lease but that shoudn't matter, should it?
  • kcejakekcejake Member Posts: 4
    We bought an MDX Tech/Entertainment Package from Prime Acura this weekend. Decided to take advantage of the financing at 2.9%. We paid $43,000 including running boards and some extras like all-season mats, etc. They were good to work with. Not sure if it was the best deal, but they were fair with us and I liked them. I am heading to pick it up in a little while. I am so excited to trade in my Mini Van for this dark cherry pearl beauty! I figured the amount of times I'll need people in those third rows the kids are young enough to fit without problem. Good luck with the purchase!
  • db29db29 Member Posts: 1
    Just left a West Palm Beach FL dealer, they said no 2.9% 60-month financing was available for the MDX, only 2.9% for 36 months. Was the other deal only available over the weekend?
  • rajurocketmanrajurocketman Member Posts: 6
    That is a great price and thanks for offering the details.

I am roughly looking for the same (08 MDX with Tech) and live in San Jose. Who did you work with at Sunnyvale Acura ? What kind of price were you offered by Steven's Creek Acura ?

Did you buy any accessories and what did you pay for them ?

What was your TOD ???

I am not in a hurry but would like to cash-in a good deal now. What is your sense if this deal would get better or worse over the next 30 days ?

Thanks.
  • harmstrongharmstrong Member Posts: 13
    Hello Actually we were going to buy the Dk Cherry with Ebony interior but they wouldn't go lower than 42,500 and no extras.
    I went to Boston Acura and with WCD1's help bought a tech/entertainment MDX for 41,900.
    I liked speaking with Prime Acura and had intentions to buy there but they wouldn't make it happen.I called Warren the sales manager and he never called me back twice. So they lost two sales not one.

On another note it seems that no one wants to give the 2.9% so talk to the sales manager I did and that's how I got the price deal direct!
    The dealer invoice is 40,403 and the holdback is 1,311dollars
    So theoretically you could get one around 39,000. This is according to Consumer report..
    We went to Acura of Boston and dealt with the sales manager.
    I think we're not supposed to mention sales staff names on the forums, not sure why. Let's just say there are two internet guys, B. and V (look on their web site). I worked primarily with B., couldn't be nicer, though I did some quick numbers work with V. while B. was busy and he was perfectly decent, too. They work as a team.

I bought the cargo cover and the all weather mats (I'm driving back to my home in Utah this weekend). Both were around $150 list, they sold them to me for around $130, which they said was their cost from their parts dept. At that point I wasn't going to argue for another $10. Warning - make sure they have the cargo cover in stock, they didn't have one in parchment and they're going to ship it to me. Minor irritation.

I don't recall TOD, but it was based on the purchase price + accessories + $55 doc. fee + $310 or so of DMV stuff + $12 (I think) DMV tire disposal fee + 8.25% sales tax.

I didn't actually get a quote from Stevens Creek; I got quotes from Sunnyvale that I knew from this forum and other research were as good as I was going to get nationwide, and they were decent enough to deal with that I just did it (my sanity and equanimity are worth something). I mentioned Stevens Creek a couple of times and B. looked at me ruefully - I think they're always matching Stevens Creek pricing.

One other note - the best price I saw here on a Tech was $39,750, which I'd seen previously quoted from an unnamed SoCal dealer as well as from Stevens Creek. I mentioned it to him and he said those were for older stock that the other dealers had before a recent price increase, he had one of those, a Steel Blue/Taupe and he would match the $39.750 price on that one. I ended up paying $350 more to get the color I wanted, Red/Parchment, which I know from looking is very rare. The final numbers were close enough that I went with what I wanted.

Hard to say whether it'll get better. I get the sense that the MDX is selling quite well, unlike some of the other models that are being replaced, so they don't see the need to jam the price down on those.
    Many thanks for the detail.

Do you feel that you paid $350 more for your specific color as it was special OR that was simply a way for the dealer to extract more money ?

The inventory for Sunnyvale Acura does not show up on their web-site ... Any other way to find out ?

For the Accessories, any rule of thumb to pay x% more or less than what you find the price to be at Acura web site ?

Did you get bodyside molding ? Is that usually the same color as the Exterior color of the vehicle ? Would you recommend (or not) getting bodyside molding ?

Did you interact much with Steven's Creek dealer (or any other dealer) and what was your experience ?

Thanks
    Hello: you shouldn't have to pay for extra for any color as it isn't mentioned on the Acura website unless you want a funky color that isn't stock...
    If you want a certain color and the dealer doesn't have it he can see what is available in the system "other dealers" and trade one of his for theirs to get your exact color if it is available.
    iwas told by a local dealer that Steel mist blue wasn't going to be available for 2008 and that is the one we bought. So see they don't know what they claim one example. I don't know what rule of thumb to measure the accesories by as it isn't worth it to me to have the dealer add on something I could do myself>>.
    I would like to get the body side moldings and sport running boards as those are quick installs. If not functional they make it seem a bit more sporty and break up the side styling a bit.If they help prevent dings all the better.

I interacted with many dealers but had the best with Acura of Boston as they called me. I told them we wanted the two car deal so they listened hungry for a sale-s.
    Times are tough they have to deal ...
    I did send an e-mail to Mr. B over at Sunnyvale Acura (Bay Area) and following is the pricing he provided for 2008 MDX + Tech Pkg:

· Base invoice Price: $40,037.63
    · Destination Charges: $715
    · Total Invoice: $40,752.63
    ·
    · Dealer Holdback $873.90
    · Net Dealer Price $39,878.73

Is this what you received ???

I have the following pricing from ConsumerReport:

· Base invoice Price: $38,973
    · Destination Charges: $715
    · Total Invoice: $39,688
    ·
    · Dealer Holdback $1,311
    · Net Dealer Price $38,377

What is your sense of present pricing ???
    To be clear, I wasn't told that I would have to pay extra for red. What I was told is that pricing is dependent on the date that the dealer received the unit, and this could be a function of either extra holdback that Acura provides for "older" units (which I've read about elsewhere) or a change in pricing across the board (that would seem to be indicated by the higher invoice of 40,038). What he made clear was that he had one "older" unit that was subject to the lower price, and that was a steel blue with taupe (which is a 2008 color and listed in the 2008 MDX brochure, and is not at all rare at any of the dealers I've spoken with - it's a standard Honda/Acura color from the Ontario plant also available on the Pilot and Ridgeline). That was just chance that the only older unit he had in stock was blue. ANY of the other colors he had - including some blue ones - were
    "newer" units and therefore cost a bit more.

As to the pricing, I've seen 39,688 at a couple of sites as the invoice price before destination, not including it, Consumer Reports may be wrong on this one. My sense is that dealers don't tend to dip into holdback, but if that's what you want to negotiate for, it's your prerogative. At the end of the day, if I wanted to negotiate for the absolute last dollar, I'd have waited until next week anyway - end of month. I've been looking for a while, I found the color that I wanted from a dealer who was honest and decent to deal with at a price that I think is quite good. I may have left a few dollars on the table, but not many. I'm content.
  • jmpage2jmpage2 Member Posts: 268
    Sorry for the late reply, email notification is spotty at best from these forums.

As far as technology on the MDX goes, it's already getting quite stale. The MDX is missing several features that you are seeing on less expensive vehicles; One feature notably absent is touch entry to the car (no messing with key fob) and touch starting of the vehicle. It's a nice feature, especially for wives who can walk up to the car, open the door and start the car without ever needing to dig through their purse for a key.

The NAV system on the MDX is very dated and it's rumored that all '09 Acura vehicles will have an all new Navi system that will include not only the voice commands but a revamped touch screen interface that integrates better with phonebook from your bluetooth phone, etc.

MDX is missing a true iPod interface which lets you control the iPod from the MDX directly (as opposed to through a stereo jack) from the car's control system. Increasingly you are seeing this OR a built in MP3 player with hard drive, etc, that at least lets you rip your CDs directly into the vehicle and not have to use the CD changer for any purpose at all.

I think that the tech on the current MDX might have been impressive by 2004 standards but certainly doesn't impress me in 2008.
    Do you really need Blu-Ray on a 7" screen?
  • 55webster55webster Member Posts: 3
    Hi:

My '05 MDX is going off lease and it's time to renew. I've seen some comments about Acura of Boston and believe they're the most aggresive in terms of deals, but I'd appreciate any comments from other dealers in Mass or Southern NH. Looking for one with the Sport or Tech package.

Thanks.
    Webster
  • 55webster55webster Member Posts: 3
    Your message was posted within a few seconds of mine. I didn't think the MDX was out of date, but I'd be interested in your comment about a comparable vehicle that has more updated features.

Thanks.

Webster
  • mtairyordgemtairyordge Member Posts: 144
    What sort of additional technology would be good for Acura to incorporate into the MDX.

1) I for one would like a hard drive of at least 80 gig, and an easy way to load ripped CDs to it. But what would be better is a USB port that I could use my thumbdrive(s) with. Its a heck of a lot cheaper than an IPOD. While I am shooting form the moon might as well provide a decent IPOD connection. Not everybody likes thumbdrives.
    2) Proximity Key for doors and push button start.
    3) For the entertainment system Blue Ray disc format. No more of this DVD stuff, it is a dead format. Lets bury it already.
    4) Fill in your wish list.........
    Actually I had been responding to someone else.

If you don't need 3rd row seating the new Murano compares extremely well to the MDX, gets better gas mileage, has more features and can be had with all options for under $40K.
    I agree with you on the iPod but the NAV is one of the best I've seen...second to Infinity in my book. I'm very satisfied with the technology in this car especially at the price point.
  • aaronv88aaronv88 Member Posts: 3
    Well i got a quote for 39,900 for the mdx tech package. with everything it came out to be 43647 i believe with thet 6% tax. Do you guys think this is a good deal or should i go lower then this price at this region? Also want to add is the protection package they quoted me with this price. thanks
    I am looking to buy an 2008 MDX + Tech.

What is a competitive price for the Extended Warranty to 7 yr 100k miles OR 8 yrs and 100k miles ?

Thanks
    For extended warranty, go to www.myhondawarranty.com. The price they quote for the 8year/120k warranty is $2065 with zero deductible; for a shorter period/lower mileage cap/deductible the prices will be lower. When I bought my MDX the dealer wouldn't match it, said it was $50 above his cost.
    What is the lowest Sunnyvale Acure offered you for a 8year/120k warranty with zero deductible ???

Are you now gonna get it from www.myhondawarranty.com ?
    Colorado dealers don't seem willing to negotiate on the MDX, it's been this way pretty much since the vehicle was introduced. It seems that the car is still in very high demand in this market.

The best offer I've been able to get is 3% over invoice but the dealer has a documentation fee they add of $400. I'm tempted to offer them $1000 over invoice with all fees included and consider it "good enough".

Anyone with any 1st hand experience in this market let me know.

Thanks.
    They didn't bother countering me, as I'd made it pretty clear that I would buy it from Saccucci if they wouldn't match the price. If you're a California resident, btw, Saccucci won't sell to you, because of the "screw the consumer" law the legislature passed. I bought the car in Cal., but live in Utah, so the dealer had no leverage.

I've just gotten back home this morning (the MDX is an excellent road trip vehicle), and I'm planning to go through the language in the AcuraCare warranty this weekend. They'll sell you the warranty at the "new car" price as long as you have less than 6,000 miles on it, so I've got a bit of time.
  • mmedicmmedic Member Posts: 15
    This forum has been a great resource for me so I figured to contribute now that I purchased my new MDX.

I live in Charlotte, NC area and here we have only one local dealer that in the past was not willing to deal. So I gave them a chance anyway but also started to open my horizon a bit and asked dealers that are a 1-2 hours away as well as dealers in Northern VA (I used to live there and still have family living there) as I've read on this forum that they tend to be the most aggressive.

In the end I got several offers on a new MDX with Tech ranging from 39,750 to 42,000 (with the later coming from the local Charlotte dealer - when they told me that I started laughing. I honestly don't know why are they in business if they 're trying to rip people off). Note these on these prices you only have to pay taxes and everything else is included. Also, there are no accessories on the car except for wheel locks and mud guards. I ended up buying from Crown Acura in Greensboro, NC who offered $40,000 since they offered quite a bit more for my trade than the lowest dealer. But if you don't have a trade, you can have a new MDX with Tech for $39,750 + tax or even $39,500 + tax if you push a little harder. They even offered me Tech + Ent for $41,400.

If you're interested in dealer and salespeople names, email me at mmedic at uncc dot edu. I hope this helps someone.
  • mmedicmmedic Member Posts: 15
    Has anyone bought extended warranty from myhondawarranty.com and know is it worth it on the new MDX and knows how the process goes?
  • wfwaltonwfwalton Member Posts: 1
    can you tell me where you got your car? I need a car and want to avoid the dealer in NJ mentioned in the previous post. Thanks
  • yarikyarik Member Posts: 9
    Check consumerguide.com They have invoice price for all models....
  • proshopperproshopper Member Posts: 3
    My 2004 MDX lease is up at the end of this month. I'm searching for a new vehicle, and have come down to the 2008 base MDX or the Audi Q7. Any advice? The best price I got on the 2008 MDX was $37,995. I can't seem to find what the dealer invoice for the base model is. If anyone knows, please tell me. Thanks
    After I picked up my MDX Tech from Sunnyvale Acura in NorCal, I tried to convince a friend in SoCal to lease a base MDX; she was set on a Touareg, and ended up leasing one of those. The sales guy I worked with at Sunnyvale sent a quote with a selling price (for the lease) of $36,975. According to Cars.com, invoice (including $715 destination) is $37,229.
  • yarikyarik Member Posts: 9
    This forum has been really good resource. Just got my MDX so I would like to contribute...

MDX with Tech. Price includes roof rails, bodyside moldings, all weather mats, installation.
    Paid: $40,644 plus $99 doc fee, taxes and tags.
    Since I bought before Feb 24, I took advantage of 2.9% for 60 month deal.
    I would stay away from physically going to dealership to negotiate. It's much more effective to negotiate by e-mail. Request a quote from as many dealerships as possible. It's likely that one of them can't move that particular combination (color, model) that you are looking for, so you can get pretty good deal.
    Good luck...
  • proshopperproshopper Member Posts: 3
    I did check out consumerguide.com, and they had quite a bit of information on both cars. I have one week to make my decision. Thanks for the advice. If anyone out there is driving a 2008 MDX, are you happy with it?
  • maries15maries15 Member Posts: 3
    Precision Acura.
  • homeagain3homeagain3 Member Posts: 10
    Thanks for posting your information. We purchased a 2001 MDX from Crown Acura in Greensboro in 2001 when we were living there and paid retail for it, which I am still driving. We now live in Central VA and there is a Crown Acura in Richmond, the closest one to us, but they do not have a huge inventory and I figured they weren't worth contacting. My plan was to buy in Northern Va even though I would have to take the vehicle to Crown for service after purchase. Thanks to your post I will now talk with Crown when we are ready to buy our Tech with entertainment. I will most likely just send out an email to as many dealers as possible and hope they will be willing to negotiate.
  • dms9dms9 Member Posts: 137
    For all of you who are considering the MDX, DRIVE the sport, especially if you are going to buy the NAV anyhow. The difference in price is not very large and you get a lot for it. The magnetic ride shocks are amazing, especially when you push the vehicle a little bit. I have an '07 Sport and except for some very annoying warranty repairs, I love the Sport. I am amazed that they don't sell more. You get (much) better tires, better rims (easier to clean too), better leather, better dash (metal instead of more plastic), plus the amazing magnetic ride, bigger sway bars, self leveling headlights, etc. Just consider it.
    Enjoy.
  • hawg42hawg42 Member Posts: 1
    We live in the Hampton Roads area and we tried dealing with local dealers in the area, via internet. They wanted us to come in to talk to them, I told them give me your best price out the door. No one wanted to give us an out the door price except Pohanka Acura in Chantilly, Va. After 4 days of haggling with local dealers, we just purchased a 2008 MDX w/Tech. $41,000.00 out the door. The dealers in the Tidewater and Richmond area couldn't come close. Pohanka was easy to deal with and easy to get in/out. We saved with a trade and purchasing a new vehicle over $5000.00. Hands down do your researching over the internet for your best price, it may take a little time and effort, but definately the way to shop.
  • texasguy33texasguy33 Member Posts: 3
    Finally bought the MDX with tech/ent pkg plus tint windows, low jack, locking wheel lugnuts, cargo tray (not sure if thats what its called with the rubber inside liner), roof rails, body side moldings, and a moonroof deflector for 43,927 including dest. I did initially want the sport running boards, door edge guard, front and rear trim but they wanted retail for it so I took it off. Looks like I got some garage time and internet ordering coming up :) I ended up driving to the furthest dealership (Vandergriff) in the DFW for me, but it paid off at the end. I went to McDavid, and they were like "that price is under invoice, we can't sell you it at that price". Oh, I got the 2.9% @ 60months as well. Which McDavid would not match as well (trying to figure out how they stay in biz actually). Vandergriff was decent in dealing with, they tried some tricks like....when I got a internet quote for 42,597w/ dest. for a tech/ent pkg w/o any extras when I got there, it turned out to be much higher cuz they always include lowjack/wheel locks/cargo tray/tint with all the acuras....she tried to dance around it but I ended up paying just 200 more for that stuff and I figured that decent enough (since the mats are like 100 plus tint I figured I got the low jack free---with those numbers anyways). Send me a pm for the sales person name, overall she was very good. (Even though we had to dance around some stuff, it was well worth it) Love the new car though..so many gadgets and the ride is great.
    Wanted to add...they offered me a 7yr/100k warranty for 1475...how does that sound? I actually haggled down to that and then didn't buy it but I am considering it since it doesn't seem too bad.
  • frank08frank08 Member Posts: 5
    Concerning the third row seating of MDX, I don't know if Acura already or in the future will make a rail track for second row seats far back to third row seat position. That would be solved the problem of many fan's concern of third row is too narrow just for kids, not use it in most of time, or decrease gas mileage. With the rail track, you can take off third row seat if not use, move your second row back as much as you like, so the second row passenger would gain a tons of space and be treated like in a limo. Really hope Acura can make it! :D
  • homeagain3homeagain3 Member Posts: 10
    Thanks for replying. We lived in Va Beach from 98-01. Really miss it. It was my favorite of all the places we've been.

From everything we have read on this, No Va does seem to be the most aggressive, and have the largest # of vehicles in stock.

I will be traveling up there mid March for a sporting event and plan to talk with a couple of dealers while I am there, if dealing strictly be email doesn't work out. Pohanka is tops on my list as well as Rosenthal.

We have a 98 Dodge Dakota pickup that we need to get rid of, but I was afraid if I offered it for trade, I wouldn't get as good of a discount off sticker price of the MDX. Since it's not worth more than a few thousand it won't make or break the sale.

So, as you can see, we still have a few things to work out. I was hoping to buy next month and hopefully take advantage of the quarter end deals, but now I'm thinking I might be better off waiting until June.

We'll see.
  • mwfieldermwfielder Member Posts: 2
    Couldn't figure out how to PM on this forum....hit me an email at martin_fielder at yahoo.com . I'm looking as well in the DFW area for a tech/ent. Offered the same price from Vandergriff (42, 597 + TTL), but want to discuss the extras they want us to pay for. (Lojack et al) Did you get the all weather mats, or just the cargo mat?
    Hi All Northeasterner,

MDX tech/Ent 's quote in New England area should be around 42000 +/- 1000 before any accessories, tax, and plate fee. Don't be stupid to raise the price over 43000!!! Acura Boston is the best dealer in Great Boston area. Price really different compare dealer to dealer. So be smart and firm for reasonable price.
    Hi The previous suggested price for MDX tech/ent should be $42000 -/+ 100, not (-/+ 1000). Sorry for this mistyping. ;)
  • ahoviaahovia Member Posts: 2
    texasguy33. what did it take to secure the 2.9% over 60? Need help.
  • ahoviaahovia Member Posts: 2
    Anyone. Looking for buying experiences in Chicago market. In particular 2.9% over 60. Help please
    The 2.9 60 month deal was a regional deal that ended last week. There is no 2.9 60+ deal going on through Acura finance right now.

If the dealer gave you 2.9 60+ at this time they would just make it up on the front end by making you pay sticker on the car.

Hopefully we see some new deals announced in March that run through April. A lot of it is going to depend on how well MDX continues to sell with the economy cooling off.