Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Acura MDX Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• rajurocketmanrajurocketman Member Posts: 6
    I Finally bought the 2008 MDX / Tech PKG from Mike Harvey Acura (Burlingame) Bay Area, CA.

I worked with Steven's Creek Acura and Sunnyvale Acura in the Bay Area as well but got the best deal from Mike Harvery Acura. This included the best base price for 2008-MDX-Tech as well as very good price for the Accessories.

I paid $39,618 + Accessories + TTL.

I plan to buy Warranty from Barnardi.

I really appreciate all the input I received on this forum.

Thanks!
  • jmpage2jmpage2 Member Posts: 268
    Does anyone have info yet on March lease rates for the MDX?
  • texasguy33texasguy33 Member Posts: 3
    I think it might be over, but you can still ask if they will offer it to you. They did offer a 0% option for either 60 or 72mths but there is 2 catches. 1. You have to pay MSRP and second is 30% down. Doing the numbers, 2.9% @ 60 @ invoice is still better than 0% @ 72 @ MSRP (see below). Initicing part of the 0% is the lower payments @ 72 but the 30% down kinda sucks. That's why I went 2.9% @ 60.

example S/E pkg w/dest charge
    0% @ 72 =48710 msrp-14,613 down (30%)=48710 total cost after finance
    2.9%@60 =44302invoice-13290 down(30%)=46642 total cost after finance

example Base pkg w/dest charge
    0% @ 72 =40910 msrp-12,273down (30%)=40910 total cost after finance
    2.9%@60 =44302invoice-12,058 down(30%)=39195 total cost after finance
  • bumpercars123bumpercars123 Member Posts: 1
    Would anyone have any insight into a MDX leased in Northern New Jersey with

36/32 Mo.
    15,000 Miles per Year
    $0 Down

Thanks.
    I don't believe that's through Honda Finance. Sounds like some kind of deal your local dealer worked with a bank/finance company.

I don't have to buy until May but I am interested in the March/April deals as sometimes they are about the best seen all year until the new models come out and dealers start blowing out the old ones.

Right now it's between Acura MDX and Mazda CX9
  • bugatibugati Member Posts: 14
    Source: http://www.hondanews.com/categories/1097/releases/4426
    "... Acura reported February sales of 13,084 units, down 8.0 percent, based on the daily selling rate..."

Feb 2007: 13,658 units / 24 days ~= 569.08 units per day
    Feb 2008: 13,084 units / 25 days ~= 523.36 units per day

MDX sale:
    Feb 2007: 4,330 units / 24 days ~= 180.41 units per day
    Feb 2008: 4,545 units / 25 days ~= 181.8 units per day

Anybody know ... How many Acura dealers are there in US ?
  • gtecgtec Member Posts: 4
    I was planning on getting a MDX/Tech. Are you still shopping around?
  • texmdxtexmdx Member Posts: 2
    This forum has been quite helpful, so I thought I would post the fact that I picked up a base MDX last week for 37.500 + ttl & 2.9% financing over 36 month. At the end the negotiation focused on the trade so that always makes these deals hard to compare.

In addition, just some food for thought: for those of you who are undecided about which car you are going to buy, consider the fact that for any vehicle or class of vehicles a base model will always give you the best value:

I looked at CX9, Highlanders, Pilots. The fact is that if there are a few must haves on your list, such as leather, power seats, moonroof etc... any of these vehicules will reach a price range close to that of a base MDX already loaded with all the goodies (and more).

Case in point, the MSRP of an equivalent CX9 (GT AWD Moonroof) is for instance 37.250 vs 40.900 for the base MDX. If you negotiate I think that these days you will come out with about the same discount off MSRP in either case. Also when you take resale value into account you would have spent about the same amount of money driving an inferior vehicule. Because there is just no denying the fact that the built quality and engineering of these two vehicules just does not compare. No matter the amount of options you heap on the Mazda, at the end of the day a pig wearing lipstick is still a pig (if you may excuse the expression, the CX9 is not that bad, it just does not belong in the same league).

That being said, the best car is one that you can afford. Also, a base CX9 will still be a great value, will be much less expensive than any MDX and will compare favorably to a loaded RAV4 for instance. Now, in my opinion the best value SUV in the sub 30k range is actually the new (09) Murano. I test drove one and at 26+k for a base model (and trying to avoiding useless dealer adds on) it is a fantastic deal (drives great, strong engine, very nice interior). Now, add leather, a moonroof and a few options and you are back in the base MDX range...
    I've currently wittled down the herd to the CX9 and the MDX. Wife is starting a business so I'm looking to lease her a high quality, high safety, high reliability vehicle for three years with the plan to write a check and buy it at lease end if the vehicle has performed well over the lease period and then drive it another 5 years or so.

Definitely resale is better on MDX. In my market the dealers all seem to be looking to get $1000 plus doc fees over invoice. I'm still shooting for invoice +$500 out the door pricing, but we'll have to see.

CX9 isn't a bad lease option as residual is being propped up (52% on 3 year 36K lease I believe for the GT model) and the money factor is in the triple digits (.0008). If I went with the CX9 I would probably plan on turning it in at lease end and shopping again as I don't trust Mazda for long term reliability.

MDX deals are "ok" but not great at this point in time. I was hoping we would see 2.9% 60 month financing (nation wide this time instead of regional) OR a lease promotion that took money factor down further. If either of these things happen in the next 45 days I will probably buy the MDX, otherwise it will be a bit of a toss up, with CX9 probably being $100 less per month for comparable equipment to MDX base model.
    Hi,

Me too, looking for a MDX tech package. Went to Steven Creek and Sunnyvale Acura too. Could you please advise which salesman you deal with? Is the best price you have heard so far? My best quote is 41K. I assume yours includes destination charge and no other hidden cost. Please correct me if I get you wrong. I would like to follow your pace, perhaps in a week. Regards.
  • oiakouoiakou Member Posts: 26
    Google maps finds about 430 entrees for “Acura dealer” under “Automobile Dealers Acura” category… about 8/state, kind of makes sense?
  • bugatibugati Member Posts: 14
    oiakou: thanks for looking up...

Yes, avg 8 dealers per state does make sense...

If taking the total sales and divided by the number dealers... they don't sell a lot.

For Feb 08:
    13084 units / 430 dealers ~= 30.48 units
    4545 MDX / 430 dealers ~= 10.57 MDX
  • mdx_manmdx_man Member Posts: 1
    A couple of weeks late, but here is the deal I got on a new Sport/Ent MDX with the following options:
    - Roof rails & cross bars,
    - Running boars,
    - Body side moldings,
    - Cargo Tray, cargo cover, cargo net,
    - All season mats, and
    - Wheel locks.
    Out the door price was $46,400 including the $715 Destination fee, options listed above (all dealer installed), and a $248 dealer admin fee. Not included is State tax or temp plates fees as I purchased out of State. Purchased in MA.

Here's the breakdown:
    (S/E invce 43,587) + 250
    715 Destination
    248 Admin fee
    1600 for the new OEM installed options.

Although this may not be an absolute rock price I feel it was a great deal. I was also extremely impressed with the serviced of the dealership I used. Absolutely everything was ready when I showed up to look at and purchase the vehicle. They didn't try to push any extras which was nice. A complimentary one-hour demo was provided to demonstrate how to operate the vehicles many functions including the Nav system, Entertainment, Handsfree, etc.

I now have 500 miles on the vehicle and I love it so far. It only had 5 miles on it at pick up.

:)
  • jui116jui116 Member Posts: 2
    Do you need to add 715 destination charge to 36300 or is included in there? I
    Thanks.
  • jui116jui116 Member Posts: 2
    I got the quote from dealer for 37,229 including destination change for 2008 mdx base model. Does anyone get lower than this price in southern california dealer since car sales are slow. Thx.
    Dealer invoice on MDX Base model is $36,514 + $715 destination charge = $37,229.

Acura hold back is 3%, so actual dealer cost is about $35,418, but it's unlikely most dealers will go below invoice.
  • ct2epetect2epete Member Posts: 1
    we purchased our base model mdx on 2/25....

Acura by Executive, north haven, CT...

37,200.00 incl. dest
    123 registration
    249 dealer fee
    6% ct sales tax
    2.9% for 60 months

Love the car so far (600 mi), but we should've got the tech pkg. I now think its worth it for the extras you get, but no big deal.

Also, just purchased roof rails, crossbars, door panels, and all weather mats totaling $640....will install myself this weekend.
  • cmattmdxcmattmdx Member Posts: 1
    I purchased a new MDX Silver/Black with Tech package in MD. I searched around this region and I got the best deal from Rosenthal Acura in Gaithersburg. They offered me the top price for my trade in ( at least $1000 more than the other dealers) and I got the best deal for the new car also. I highly recommend this dealership . It was a pleasure to deal with the sales manager ( say Mr. LP ). There were no gimmicks or misrepresentation of facts. He offered me all help to narrow down my choice and followed up promptly even after my purchase.

Thanks for the inputs from this forum
  • court123court123 Member Posts: 2
    Bought MDX base model in Atlanta last weekend for 37,750 plus 500 doc, 18 fees, 6%tax...
  • bidder5000bidder5000 Member Posts: 17
    I was quoted the following on a MDX '08 ENT/Tech package

$655 + tax
    36 month lease
    12,000 miles a year
    Not sure if this is a good deal.

I am trying to decide between the MDX and the Mercedes ML because Mercedes ML is a lot less on a lease
    Mercedes is
    $525 a month + tax
    33 month lease
    12,000 miles a year

What would you do?
    I would do some more homework. What is the residual and money factor for both cars? What is the selling price on both cars?

If you simply want to focus on monthly payment numbers then it becomes very difficult to determine if you are getting a good deal.

Do you have a trade that's affecting these quotes? You could get completely different quotes from different dealers on the same car based on how they treated your trade. Sometimes dealers make far more on the trade in than they do on the sale of a new car and will give you a below invoice price on the new car making the deal seem good, but you are getting ripped off on your old ride.
  • bidder5000bidder5000 Member Posts: 17
    Good point!

Mercedes said they had some crazy money factor that made the deal sweet like .001. I can not tell what Acura's lease rate is, but they have a special and you can just punch your numbers and it comes out with the rate.

The bottom line cost of the MDX Tech/Ent is $42,697
    *Lease Summary: Required Refundable Security Deposit $675.00, 1st Monthly Payment $655.39, Capitalized Cost Reduction $0.00 to equal an estimate total of $1,330.39 due at lease signing
    Invoice on the MDX Tech/Ent package is about $42,400 without the $715 destination charge. If you can get this vehicle at $42,697 including destination then it is about $400 under invoice which would be a phenomenal deal.

Realize that many people forget about destination charge when calculating lease payments, it will be part of your initial cost before cap reduction but is not used for calculation of the residual value of the vehicle.

I suspect you are comparing the base ML350 to the Tech/Ent MDX. An ML350 with navigation, driver memory, hands free bluetooth, etc, is about $54,000 and is extremely unlikely to have a lower monthly lease payment than a Tech/Ent MDX even with the lower money factor. Typically the top residual value you will see on any vehicle is about 60% for a 30K lease. MDX was recently named the mid-size SUV with top residual value by some consumer magazine, it's unlikely the ML350 has a higher residual value.

Also keep in mind that the Acura requires relatively inexpensive maintenance options for the first 100K miles. On the Mercedes, just to have the oil and filter changed you are likely looking at a $200 service every time the vehicle gets anything done with it.

I love German cars (own an A4) but they are hideously expensive to maintain compared to domestic or even premium Japanese brands.
  • driver124driver124 Member Posts: 2
    Just received a lease quote for an MDX w/ Tech:
    - The lease is for 36mths and 12k miles per yr
    - Payment is $555/mth with $3,589 up front
    - Up front payment of $3,589 is made up of 1st mthly pmt ($555), bank fee ($595), DMV fees ($191), taxes ($1,814), Cap cost reduction ($433).
    - The selling price was $40,703 (incl destination)
    - Residual was 56%
    - Money factor was 0.00197

Your opinions/comments would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
  • rnevensrnevens Member Posts: 3
    Hi jmpage2, The $42,400 invoice price for a Tech/Ent includes the $715 delivery charge.

Rich
  • mwfieldermwfielder Member Posts: 2
    I bought in the Dallas area. I paid $500 over invoice for a Tech/Ent plus some options "at cost" for a total cost of 43,800. Sterling Gray/Taupe. (Options were roof racks, all weather mats, cargo mat, tinting). Later added body molding, and I forget what I paid for that. Now they quoted the invoice as 42,698; the extra 300 was something added I forget what they said it was for. Anyway, real nice folks down at Goodson Acura in Irving, TX.
    Did you get it for $400 under invoice because you gave them a trade in?
    Many dealers charge a documentation fee, which is usually quite a bit higher than the actual costs of getting a title issued, etc. It's another source of dealer profit.

Also, dealers in some markets are required to charge an advertising fee. This fee is assigned by the manufacturer and all dealers in a given region are required to share the fee which is an additional cost assigned to every car they sell.
  • rnevensrnevens Member Posts: 3
    Hi jmpage2,

Sorry, but one more time, $42,397 is the invoice price including destination of a Tech+Ent.
    If he bought it for $42,697 then he paid $300 over invoice, not $400 under invoice.

Rich
    Yes, you are correct I must have added destination charge twice by mistake in coming up with that number.
  • nonamerequirednonamerequired Member Posts: 5
    Hello ladies (and the few gentlemen around :-) ). Anybody here from around Phoenix AZ? Moving there in exactly 3 months and will be buying one of these beauties :P (Tech). I saw there are three dealers in and around Phoenix (Scottsdale, Peoria, Tempe) and was wondering which one of it would you recommend. Also, what kind of deals can be had? People all over the country seem to be getting great deals at or around invoice, but didn't find anything from Phoenix.
    Oh, I almost forgot... I'd really like to get the perforated leather, but couldn't care less about the rest of that sport package. Did you, phoenicians, go for it?
    Thanks
  • sbmoving2006sbmoving2006 Member Posts: 6
    Hi,

I got a deal for Acura MDX 08 Ent/ Tech vehicle,

Color of Vehicle : Formal Black
    Interior : Taupe

Pricing details

1> $42050 ( including 715 destination charge + protection package )
    2> 2523 ( 6 % sales tax of above value )
    3> $153 ( Documentation charge , including title and everything )
    Total it comes to $44,726 what do you guys think about this offer ?

Please suggest

Regards,
    Paresh
    Did you do a trade? The price you indicated is about $400 under invoice price, so that's a very good deal indeed unless you gave the dealer a trade that they did well with.
    no i didn't do any trade in ...
    Then I would say you got a pretty amazing deal at $400 below invoice.
    Can you please explain me how did you derived to number ( $400 ) ?

Thanks
    $42015 is what you said for Tech/Ent including destination charge.

Here you can see that the invoice price on Tech/Ent is $41,683 + $715 for destination, which is $42.398 or close to $400 under invoice price.
  • rpowers1rpowers1 Member Posts: 5
    1)Has anyone added the chrome wheel package to their lease? Of the three dealers that I went to, none of them are willing to residualize the wheels @ all. I am told they will give me them for $2900 and they will keep the stock wheels.

The dealer will also not residualize the tow package, mouldings and roof rack with cross bars.

2) The Invoice Price on the MDX with Tech was listed on CR @ $39,688 - the dealer said that invoice on the car was $40,703 - can't figure out why the difference.
    What i found interesting is that none of the dealers can back into their own numbers, they all use an ADP program but they do not understand how the final numbers are worked out.
    I think what it comes down to is whether or not the accessory has any value when the car is turned in at lease end.

While you might want chrome wheels and be willing to shell out 56% of $3,000 over the course of your lease it's unlikely that the person buying the car at lease end is going to want to spend an extra $1500 for rims that they didn't order with the car.

Really, the way to go about this is to buy the accessories you want for the car with cash, and then re-sell them after the lease ends (to a 3rd party) as they aren't part of the lease package. Have them written up on a completely seperate ticket. You might even shop around and be able to find them for substantially less from a 3rd party accessory company than getting them from the dealer.

As far as invoice goes, ask to talk to the F&I manager at the dealership, who should be more than willing to show you the invoice for the vehicle. It's possible that the dealership is required to pay regional advertising fees, etc, which are bringing up the "invoice" on the vehicle.
  • vijiviji Member Posts: 1
    Hi,
    I am just sharing my experience so that it will be useful for many of you who are planning to get 2008 MDX. I am in Atlanta and I got 2008 MDX with Tech/Ent + Accessories (roof rails, sidesteps, wheel locks) for 42,400.

Pricing Details
    $42400 ( including 715 destination + accessories )
    2523 ( sales tax of above value )
    $153 ( Documentation charge , including title and everything )
    Thanks to all pioneers. I have learnt a lot in this forum before buying my 08 MDX Tech Package. It's time for me to share...

Bought @ Sunnyvale Acura. $39752 + fees + tax. The sales was nice and helpful, not pushing all.
  • daven2daven2 Member Posts: 1
    Did you pay any additional delivery charges ($715) or this included del. charges. Thanks
  • tylerdurden99tylerdurden99 Member Posts: 8
    Can you define "fees"?
    Thanks to this forum and experts in this forum atlast i was able to get Acura MDX 08 with tech/Ent with pro pack at 44726 ( including sales tax + destination price+ documentation fee) it was final out of door price in PA

Thanks once again :D
  • dishwash42dishwash42 Member Posts: 89
    quoting tylerdurden99: Can you define "fees"?

fee. noun. payment asked or given for professional services, admissions, licenses, tuition, etc.; charge
    Nothing like posting drivel that adds nothing to the discussion. Obviously what was implied is that if the "fees" previously mentioned by the other user were ridiculous in nature then they didn't get a good deal at all.
  • mtairyordgemtairyordge Member Posts: 144
    What is a 'Pro Pack'
    Usually that would be the mats, cargo organizer or rear liner and wheel locks. About $200 worth of stuff.
  • freedomnowfreedomnow Member Posts: 3
    I am trying to purchase an MDX. The dealer is telling me they have a Dealer Conveyance Fee of $349. Is this bogus? Appears to be the old prep fee. Also what should I expect to pay for assessories? I see a price on the Acura site. Is this the price I will be paying. The dealer also appears to want to add labor on these so that I would be paying over $900 for back up sensor which lists for $582. can someone provide feedback on Acura of Avon (CT). Which are the best dealers in this area (North Haven, Berlin, Manchester, Avon). Appreciate any and all feedback.
  • tylerdurden99tylerdurden99 Member Posts: 8
    I'm in FL and two dealers here in Central FL also add $500-600 is dealer fees. Trying to get anyone to tell you a straight price is next to impossible. I am, however, getting closer. They also have told me that everyone gets an XX package which is an additional $500. It appears to me they are just looking to add $1,000 to the price of the car beyond what that first price is they give you. The problem is when you run the numbers yourself and compare it to the price, they don't work out. That's because on that price, they haven't told you everything.

The game we all play.....