Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Acura MDX Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• sbmoving2006sbmoving2006 Member Posts: 6
    Yes Pro pack is whee locks/ All weather floor mat/ Crago net , price for this would be around $299.

What do you guys think about this deal
    $44,726 ( Out of door ) price Acura MDX with tech/ ent package
    Breakup
    42,050 - Sale price
    2523 - Sale tax ( 6 % )
    153 - Documentation charges
    total = 44,726
  • mtairyordgemtairyordge Member Posts: 144
    Thanks for the info on the Pro-Package.

I am in the Baltimore Wash DC area

I think the deal you are getting is fairly typical for the area. I was looking when Acura was offering 2.9% for 60 months and the prices you quote are consistent.

If you don't mind traveling there is an Acura dealer in Fredrickburg Va that can do a few hundred dollars better.

What type of financing are you getting?

Also have you looked at web for Acura parts. I have seen anywhere from 18 to 24 % markup at dealerships. A google search should help you here. :shades:
  • zed44zed44 Member Posts: 2
    Here is the deal I got this weekend:

'08 MDX w/ Tech Package
    Preferred Accessory Package I (Floor mats, Cargo Tray, Wheel locks)
    Body Side Molding (Installed)

$40,600 (including dealer fee and destination charge) + Taxes, Title, Tag
  • mj89mj89 Member Posts: 4
    I've been to Acura of Avon but ended up getting my mdx at some place else. Didn't like the way they play the game... Didn't pay the $349 fee either. Only got the side steps installed by the dealership, bought cargo liners and floor mats on-line. Sometimes they throw them in to make a deal. It's a great car.
  • janawjanaw Member Posts: 1
    where are you? I am in Houston - how did you manage to get this deal? Getting ready to "start dealing" - Thanks
  • zed44zed44 Member Posts: 2
    I am in Florida.

I think I got the deal because the dealer had a full lot of MDX's (with more arriving) and was facing slow march sales (gas prices, economy).
  • dishwash42dishwash42 Member Posts: 89
    no need to attack me personally by calling my posts "drivel".
  • homeagain3homeagain3 Member Posts: 10
    What dealer are you referring to in Fredericksburg? When I do a search on Acura the closest one I get is Karen Radley in Woodbridge. We are planning to buy in No VA and have heard good things about both Pohanka and Rosenthal. We are going to drive up in two weeks for initial look.

Thanks for any advice you can give and would love to hear from other posters who have purchased in No Va. We are looking for tech/ent.
  • 9mine9mine Member Posts: 3
    After read lots of post here, it’s my turn to add the useful information:
    Brought MDX(sterling gry) 08 base last weekend.

sale price $36500 (include Destination)
    window etching $149
    tax 2565
    nj titling fee $334
    doc fee $258
    motor vehicle tire fee $7.5

total $39813.5
    lmfao... you got scammed into window etching!!??!! that's the oldest dealer scam in the book. you can get a do-it-yourself window etching kit for a few bucks at pep boys.
  • phil1668phil1668 Member Posts: 1
    Hi! How much was your destination fee?

I just got a base model -black/black from Power Acura in Torrance,CA for $36,883 with $250 gift card from Homedepot. It seems you got an even better deal. Did you get any accessories for your new MDX? There is a seller on ebay selling the OEM sport running board for $395 and the OEM tubes for around $450 (Shipping included.) I went with the sport running board. All weather mat ($90) and body side molding ($185)
    may be like you said, the window etching is a scam, but I got $5000 additional insurance if you got stolen. plus the sale price I got, I use this to tip the salesman.
    $715 for the des
  • oraclesamyoraclesamy Member Posts: 8
    Friends....I would like to know some experts help in buying an 2004 MDX touring with RES & Nav along with side steps & sproiler ..this has 30k mileage and got an offer for 25k from a private party...is it a good deal ?? Please help.
    Son, if your car is stolen, the $5,000 extra insurance will be little consolation for all the headaches you are about to endure. As for tipping the salesman... forget it. They are the scum of the earth and don't deserve one extra penny.
  • djdocdjdoc Member Posts: 1
    Where did you get the deal in FL? (dealership)
    Do you have suggestions on which salesman to work with?
  • rpowers1rpowers1 Member Posts: 5
    have been quoted $700 down and $700 per month for a 08 MDX Tech; Moulding; Side Steps and Full roof rack (12k per year)..any thoughts?
    we're allowed to include delaership name on this board BUT

"please do not post names of salespeople, telephone numbers, email addresses, or other contact information."
  • jimmy2xjimmy2x Member Posts: 124
    1st of all you are being pretty harsh. I have no affiliation with the auto industry but calling people the scum of the earth is uncalled for. I presume that you work for a living like the rest of us. I guarantee that whoever you work for makes a profit or they do not stay in business.

FWIW, I always tell them upfront that I am not interested in the old "Rust and Dust, Mop and Glo" stuff. I am also looking for a Base on and looking at app $37,300 plus PA tax and tag. No other fees. So far as I'm concerned, in the current market that is a pretty fair price based on the difference I see between Edmunds TMV and real world selling price.
  • wilsongkwilsongk Member Posts: 6
    Hello All:

Found a 2005 MDX touring with nav & RES w/ 38K miles. Dealer (toyota dealer) asking $23,900. Looks and drives great, but missing the nav disc. Is there anything else I should look at before making offer?

Thanks
    KW
    fair enough. it was a bit over the top for me to call the car dealers scum (i've had some bad experiences with one of them) and i guess they are just doing their job. that still doesn't give them the right to slap me and dump my wife out of her chair.
  • jmpage2jmpage2 Member Posts: 268
    That is an extremely high lease price you have been quoted. Could you provide more information such as if it included sales tax?

At full MSRP (window sticker price) a lease a new '08 MDX Tech would be approximately $675 per month with just the security deposit and no additional funds down. This assumes the .00197 money factor for those with good credit.

It sounds like your dealer is trying to rip you off. Even in a popular market you should be able to acquire the MDX Tech for approximately 2-3% over invoice price, which would put the payment (again with no money down and good credit) at under $600 before sales tax on a 3 year 36K lease.
  • freedomnowfreedomnow Member Posts: 3
    I am currently working on a deal for Base MDX plus accessories (Cargo cover, roof rails, cross bars, runiing boards, back up sensor, etc). The dealer is adding labor in the price of these so that something that is listed for 582 (sensor) comes out to $895. Can you tell me your experiences with buying these accessories. Also anything your experience with the backup sensor. Thanks
  • lucanautlucanaut Member Posts: 10
    I just joined this forum and without reading all previous posts (since they are a lot), I was just wondering if anyone had gotten a good deal in Houston. I was just quoted $38.8K for a new MDX (no Tech). Would be interested to compare with others, and also know about price quotes of MDX w/ Tech. I am not interested at all in sport or entertainment pkg.
    don't get me started about my horrible experiences with Houston-area Acura dealerships....
    That seems high, being over 3% above invoice price. I imagine you can do better if you are patient or if you are willing to travel further to get the car with a regional dealer vs. a local one.
    Agreed - I'm looking at about 37.5 in the Philly burbs.
    *** grammar police ****

Farther vs. Further
    farther: used with physical distance
    • The farther we drive, the more I long to stretch my legs.
    further: used with abstract distance or depth
    • Elvira decided to investigate the matter further.

therefore, you would have to be willing to travel FARTHER to get the car with a regional dealer vs. a local one
  • mik3ymomomik3ymomo Member Posts: 5
    I dunno if its harsh or not. Personally I think lying for a living is a pretty lowly career choice. Everyone has to make a buck but.... To put it in perspective i think the decision of the industry to sell their cars in this way is not consumer friendly. Why should someone pay 5400 dollars more then i did for the same car just because they took the salesman's word for it that its the best price he can give them for the car?

I don't see how it benefits the manufacturer and it def doesn't make it a fun way to buy the car.
    People are responsible for their own actions. The car business has been like this forever. If you are old enough to purchase the vehicle then you have to take responsibility and have enough gumption to find out what the going rate is. With all of the information available at the touch of a keyboard there is NO excuse for anyone not to do their homework.

P.T. Barnum may not have actually said that "There is a sucker born every day", but "Buyer Beware" has been around since the Roman Empire.
    Already read all about it on the RDX forum.
    You'd think that but we see post after post of people who ask "did I get a good deal" after they signed the paperwork with apparently no idea of what they should have paid for the vehicle.

It's exactly because of people who can't do one hour of research before making a $20K-$50K purchase that car dealers continue to operate the way they do, selling cars at full MSRP with tons of "extras" that result in tons of added profit for the dealership.
    37.5 is right around invoice, which would be good. I am willing to travel outside Houston (San Antonio, Austin, the Valley, whichever) to find a deal at or below invoice.
    ok
  • hotch41hotch41 Member Posts: 61
    Hello,

That looks like a great deal you got. I don't know if I'll be able to get that up here in CT. Did you just get the roof rails or did it also include the cross bars as well?

Thank you.
  • mik3ymomomik3ymomo Member Posts: 5
    I would agree that people should do their homework and that since the internet has changed things people in general can get the information about the actual market trends on a vehicle. This wasn't always so and you typically needed to know someone "in the business" to know what you could actually get the vehicle for.
    That being said. I have rarely found dealing with people who will lie for a living very appealing to do business with.
    Also i think the car manufacturers could sell more cars if they actually had set pricing for the cars. They could set them lower and still make a profit. People would be likely to buy a car they didn't know was within their price range. And while the system may be trying to promote the actual service you get from the car salesman i find it rare a salesman knows more then i do about their own cars.
    Ive found that what should be in the way of helpful has turned into a pushy atmosphere. And likely annoying.
    My sentiments arnt rare.. And even though i would suggest a different system its not that i have fallen victim to the current one. I actually find that i get better deals then 99 percent of the other consumers out there because I turn into a hard nosed consumer and get in the trench and its never a happy or nice experience. The dealers i think are happy to see me walk out the door. I just wish it didn't have to be that way.
    But i see over and over a high percentage of people have fallen victim.
  • rpowers1rpowers1 Member Posts: 5
    The $700 per month does include the sales tax - according to dealer none of the extras have any residual value (running boards have a 35% residual, moldings, and roof rack are 0). Still seems expensive for MDX. Another dealer out east claim they were giving me the car for $500 over invoice (Costco) plan - her payment came out to $757 per month and $757 down which is the first month payments (all taxes etc into the payments.
  • pwein1pwein1 Member Posts: 21
    I have an 05 MDX Touring with 36,000 miles coming out of lease. I can buy the vehicle for approx $25k, extend lease, or turn in. Anyone else done this recently? Your input would be appreciated.
    What's to say about this situation? You need to look at true market value of the car and determine if it is to your advantage to buy the car out at the end of the lease, vs. what the car is actually worth. Sometimes residual on a car is higher than what the car is actually worth at lease end (such as with our Infiniti FX35 which we leased with a 59% residual for a 39 month lease, they are now going for about $1,000 less than that as the new model is getting ready to come out). On the other hand if the car is under the mileage limit and in excellent shape it could be worth MORE than the residual value in which case maybe it is to your advantage to buy it and then trade it or sell it yourself (this usually isn't the case, but does happen on occassion).

I would highly recommend against extending the lease on the car as usually the terms are not very good on a 3 year old vehicle. Similarly I wouldn't recommend entering into a new lengthy loan on the car, as you will not get a very good interest rate and will have effectively financed the car at that point for a period of 7-8 years and then paid lease fees (acquisition, etc) on top of that.

If the car has been reliable, and you have no reason to change vehicles then the smartest option would simply be to pay cash for the car and continue to drive it for as long as it continues to be reliable. With Acura vehicles you can often get 10+ years of reliable service out of them. I'm not sure about the previous generation MDX but the current one doesn't need a major tune-up or overhaul until it hits the 100,000 mile mark.
    Could you please share the name of the dealership you did give your business to? I've been to the North Haven, CT dealership. Although I didn't sit down for serious negotiations, I found their "initial" quotes for all packages I'm interested in (Tech Only, Tech/Ent, Sport, Sport/Ent) were much higher than the Edmunds TMV pricing. Thank you.
  • freedomnowfreedomnow Member Posts: 3
    Try Schaller in Manchester.
    Thank you, freedomnow, for that suggestion. I trust you've done well there? I'm definitely willing to drive a distance for a good deal especially if I can get a great deal that some I see our fellow posters are getting.
  • valone123valone123 Member Posts: 1
    I am in the market for an 2008 Acura MDX w/ Tech Pkg. Has anyone in the metro Atlanta area had any good or bad experiences with dealerships and what OTD prices have you found for this vehicle.
  • mdxsflamdxsfla Member Posts: 4
    Here is the deal I got on March 30th:

MDX Base
    (Invoice is $37,229 incl dest.charge and MSRP is $40,910 incl dest. charge)

Down $1500.00: Includes $500 first payment, $640.93 Doc Fees+Tax, $155 cap cost reduc, $10.85 sales tax, $120 initial registration fees, $73.16 FL fees + Taxes

Agreed upon Value: $35,853.68
    Gross Cap Cost: $36,448.68
    ADJ Cap Cost: $36,293.62
    Res Value: $23,727.80

36 months
    12k miles
    58% residual value
    Payment: $467.29 + $32.71 = $500.00

The dealer included wheel locks and all weather mats: front, rear, and cargo liner

HOW DID I DO ON THIS DEAL? THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP
    and to all that post here thanks to you to

-MDXSFLA
    seems like a pretty shi$#tty deal to me
    Actually he got a pretty good deal. Maybe you could elaborate on how it's a bad deal?

Getting an MDX for a few hundred dollars over invoice always seems to be a pretty good deal unless you are in a market where they just aren't selling.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,147
    Hm... that's not so polite and not so helpful.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• samuraikidsamuraikid Member Posts: 1
    Hi Paresh,

I am looking for a 08 mdx sports package. would u mind sharing ur information. Also plz share ur dealer name as I also live in PA.

Thanks
    Alex
    Finally pulled the trigger last night on 2008 MDX base last night after getting a final call back from Courtesy Acura of Littleton Colorado.

I had made them an offer of invoice + $500 including dealer fees. We had no trade in. Ultimately ended up paying $500 over invoice plus $300 advertising charge. All dealers in the region charge this and I already felt that I was getting as low as they were willing to go on this car (got my call back 2 weeks after making the $500 over offer).

Luckily the car we picked was freshly arrived and hadn't had the "extras" tacked on. Apparently they normally charge $800 or so for a "protection package" that consists of wheel locks ($75) all season rubber mats ($110) and body colored side moldings ($180). Unfortunately that's something every dealer in the area does with either overpriced accessories/install of the add ons already on the car or an overpriced clear bra $500. The only way to avoid these is to get a car freshly arrived at the dealer or order the car a month or two in advance.

The salesperson we worked with was top notch and there was no BS other than the initial namby pamby over final price to be paid. Once we showed up at the dealership things went very smoothly.
  • mj89mj89 Member Posts: 4
    I ended up buying my MDX in Framingham, MA while visiting a friend there -- long story. Very friendly experience, efficient negotiation. The car was delivered to my door the next week with add-ons and all the paperwork done. Same quote came from Machester ACURA as well but one day too late.