Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Acura MDX Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• kkaalankkaalan Member Posts: 3
    mj, i live around Framingham MA area and interested in MDX with tech and entertainment. Did you get it from Herb Canolly? Can you please give some details on the deal you got? Thanks in advance.
  • jam550jam550 Member Posts: 10
    Hi. I was offered this deal yesterday to lease a base MDX. Please let me know your thoughts. Is it a good deal? Can I do better? Is there something in here that is probably more negotiable? Any and all comments welcome. THANKS

MDX Base
    Term - 36 months
    12k Miles per year

MSRP - $40,910
    Initial Cap Cost - $37,729
    Total Add Cap Costs - $595
    Adjusted Cap Cost - $38,324

L.E.V. % - 58%
    Lease End Value - $23,727
    Money Fact Sell Rate - .00197

Base Monthly Rental - $527
    Total Annual Fees - $161
    Total Initial Fees - $57
    Total Sales Tax - $569

Amount Due At Start - $762

Total Monthly Payment - $543
  • dishwash42dishwash42 Member Posts: 89
    mdxsfla's deal seems a bit better.
  • jam550jam550 Member Posts: 10
    Could this be a regional thing (mdxsfla is in S. Florida and I am in NYC)? Can I reasonably expect to get that kind of deal up here?

Anyone else have any opinions on the deal I was offered? THANKS!
  • jmpage2jmpage2 Member Posts: 268
    There is definitely variation depending on market. You'll notice that a lot of the markets where people are getting great prices on the MDX are in warmer areas where AWD might not be as much of a necessity. Additionally in SFLA at least the economy is completely in the tank.

In the market I'm in it's not easy to get a deal much better than around $600 over invoice PLUS dealer fees, etc.

I got a slightly better deal than this and am having no regrets about it.
  • mdxsflamdxsfla Member Posts: 4
    jam550,

I did a little better than this. I did put down $1500 including 1st payment of $500 plus dealer fees , taxes, etc. Total amount paid for the lease after 36 months will be $19,000.

On your deal you will have paid a total of $19,767 after 36 months. That is assuming the $762 you mentioned includes your 1st payment of $543.

Get all your local dealerships to compete for your business. Make an offer of $500 per month including tax plus $1500 down to cover 1st payment, dealer fees, taxes, tag, etc. Ask the dealership to throw in the protection package...I got this in my deal...wheel locks, all-weather mats, rear cargo liner.

Please look at my earlier post for details on my deal and have the dealership(s) match it or better yet beat it. I probably could have done a bit better if I would have been more patient but I did not have the time. All things considered (its an awesome machine!!!) I feel very good about the deal I got.

I am confident you will succeed ;) Let us know how you did.

Good luck

MDXSFLA
  • hpowdershpowders Member Posts: 4,330
    mdxsfla,

I am looking for a base MDX lease for July, also in Florida.

Would you kindly name the dealership you did business with?

I am in the Tampa area but would travel to the other side of the state to get a better deal.

Thank you.

HPOWDERS
  • mdxsflamdxsfla Member Posts: 4
    Acura Of Pembroke Pines
    15601 Pines Blvd
    Pembroke Pines, FL 33027-1204

They just opened a couple weeks ago. Very nice group...no pressure.

MDXSFLA
    MDXSFLA,

Thank you so much for this information. I am currently locked into a BMW lease which ends in July. I will propose an offer to Pembroke in June.

Thanks again! :)

HPOWDERS
  • rmrcrmrc Member Posts: 21
    Removed post. Sorry wrong thread...
  • josheeljosheel Member Posts: 73
    I'm in az. and so far the lowest price i can find for an 08 mdx tech/res, window tint and wheel locks is 43,300.00 plus tax etc. does that seem to high for out in the southwest? Thanks
    Does $43,300 include destination charge? What other dealer fees are you being charged?

You can get the wheel locks from www.hondacuraworld.com for about $65 and install them in an hour. Window tint and clear bra almost always cost more from the dealer than you can get them for, often from the same shop the dealer uses.

Invoice price on an '08 MDX RES is about $42,400 including destination charge, so if you are paying $43,300 including destination charge and no other dealer fees I would see that's not a bad deal, but you might be able to do better.
  • brahda808brahda808 Member Posts: 25
    I live in Hawaii and got quoted $45,508 for a 08 MDX Sport/Entertainment Package. Am I getting a good deal?
    no. aloha.
    What would be a good price for the Sport/Entertainment package MDX?
  • sbmoving2006sbmoving2006 Member Posts: 6
    Hi Alex,
    Dealer name is Davis Acura
  • mdxfan5mdxfan5 Member Posts: 5
    Does anyone know what kind of leeway dealerships have in discounting accessories? I am interested in leasing an MDX base and installing a roofrack with crossbars and side steps. The dealer has offered 10% off these accessories. ($1,450-$145=$1,305). Are these prices fair?

Also, the dealer has told me that these accessories do not have any residual value but I have heard otherwise. Anyone know what type of residual accessories have?

Thanks!!
    $44301
  • kurtkbeekurtkbee Member Posts: 22
    Is this an out the door price (including TTL & Dealer fees) ?
    "Is this an out the door price?"

No. It's the invoice price ( which includes the $715 destination charge). With gasoline prices high and sales of SUV's low, it is the MAXIMUM price I would shoot for. One must add the sales tax and a few miscellaneous fees for the true OTD price.

In this environment, YOU are in the driver's seat. I wouldn't settle for anything more than invoice price on the MDX or any other gas-guzzler. Those big SUV's are clogging up dealers' lots. Few folks are buying them.
    Thanks
    The price I listed was the invoice price (which includes the $715 destination charge).

I wouldn't offer more than invoice for the MDX at this time, since it only gets around 18 mpg and uses premium fuel.

I was thinking of getting an MDX for over a year now, but only being able to go 18 miles at about $4 a gallon is giving me a headache!
    sheesh...you're sounding like Al Gore. We're here to drive big cars because we can. We can afford them.
    "We're here to drive big cars because we can."

Guilty as charged.

I currently drive a 545i and the 325 hp V8 is quite intoxicating. Talk about conspicuous consumption! (See a small photo of my silver rocket on my Car Space page).

It really is a good time to be shopping for an MDX as they begin to pile up precariously on dealers' lots.

Anybody who would consider buying an MDX at a price above invoice at this time, simply isn't doing his homework.
  • ka2shazka2shaz Member Posts: 1
    We just bought a new MDX with Tech package in Chevy Chase last night. We paid 39,903 including the destination charge, plus taxes, tags and 100 processing fee. They also offerered us 5.59% rate on a 6 year loan, which made us pretty happy.
    It depends on the market. Rocky Mountain area for example, where I am, demand for these vehicles is still quite high. There are still people paying close to sticker price and very little willingness on the part of dealers to sell for near invoice price.

This might change as the economy worsens, but most of the people that I see getting invoice or below invoice deals are in parts of the country where an AWD SUV is a luxury, not a necessity as it is here (if you need to get in to your office every day and 6-12 inches of snow are common in the winter you kind of need a bigger AWD vehicle) and also areas of the country where the economy is particularly soft.

I'm sure that if gas continues to climb then we will see continued drop off in sales of these cars as well as a drop off in the residual value.

Rumor is that Acura will be releasing a more fuel efficient diesel version of the MDX late next year, but my own personal suspicion is that it will be like the Toureg, only offered in top trim and will be $50K+... which will make it a very tough sell in a struggling US economy.
  • mechanic5mechanic5 Member Posts: 6
    I priced the mdx tech in boston 39,500. Prime acura in n hampton, new hampshire beat it for in stock. I ended up purchasing from Prime a mdx tech ent for 41000 OTD price not including sales tax. This is a good deal! The sticker price is 46610 msrp. I found them honest to their word and excellent to do business with. We love the vehicle, gas mileage on trip computer is reading 19-20 mpg mixed town/highway easy on the gas driving. We were told we could use regular fuel and are trying it out to make comparisons on each tank for mpg and performance. :)
    I will concede that here in Florida, demand for all-wheel drive SUV's isn't what it would be in your location.

If gas prices continue their rise, I look to see the meteoric comeback of the
    STATION WAGON (in AWD form). (Decent space, better mileage than most SUV's).
  • nonamerequirednonamerequired Member Posts: 5
    Hi josheel and jmpage2 - I just went for a test drive in Phoenix (the N Scottsdale dealership) and they say they always add up a "convenience package" with wheels locks, extra tinting and body molding ...overpriced at $800. plus $400 for maco advertising. plus 750 over invoice... i don't know if the other dealerships do the same though, but it overall seems way above the national and southwest average. just my 2c :confuse:
  • newyorkrnewyorkr Member Posts: 3
    Tech + Power Tailgate. Today, I got a quote for this:

Price: $41,500 (invoice price + dest. charge : $40,901) plus tax. no accessories.
    plus fees:
    $527.90 (Title/Reg Fee + Luxury Tax + Tire Tax)
    $249 (Doc Fee)

Compared to other posts in this forum, the fee seems to be high for me. Is NJ Luxury Tax applicable to MSRP $44,245? I googled a bit and they say that it's applied to a product priced higher than 45k. Does anyone know about this? Also, $41500 including destination charge seems a good deal?

(tech + power tailgate option is new and they ordered some and they will arrive to the dealer soon in this month.)
  • zaggywaggyzaggywaggy Member Posts: 2
    I am looking to get a 2008 w/Sport. My wife wants to add several extras - Backup Sensor, Roof Rack & Cross Bar, Nice Wheels & Tires etc. By the time it is added up the total is $6,900 for all the extras. Aside from talking my wife out of them, what do you think would be a realistic discount to shoot for on this total? Thanks.
    backup sensor? tell that ol' wife of yours to learn to drive. backup sensors are overrated. roof rack/cross bar are worth it. nice tires and wheels good too. but many of these items can be had for pennies on the dollar through 3rd parties.
    If one orders the base MDX, you say one can get along fine without the rear sensors?
    yes! i'm a big fan of getting base models. always the best deal. backup sensors, imho, are quite tacky anyway.
    Okay, I thought with limited rear visability the sensors can help.

My BMW lease is up in July. I plan on e-mailing every Acura dealer in my state of Florida with an offer of $500 below invoice in June for the base MDX and see what happens. I plan on putting down half and financing the rest. I find Acura's offer of 36 month financing at 2.9% too good to pass up. Hopefully, they will continue this in June.
    ok, good point about the limited rear visibility. if this is a big concern for you or the misses, then by all means you should go with the optional backup sensors.
    Yes, I think I will go with the rear sensors.

Using the Acura website, I made a list of 18 Florida Acura dealers. It would be nice to make a decent deal with one of the 3 Acura dealers in my area, but Tampa is a notoriously poor location to make a good car deal.

As mdxsfla was kind enough to inform me, he made a great deal with a dealership on the other side of the state. I have no problem with taking a short one-way $52 flight to save $500 or so.
  • tylerdurden99tylerdurden99 Member Posts: 8
    I paid like $1,000 over invoice in Orlando with a lease and some other junk. Did I get the best deal possible? Probably not. Do I care? Not really. $10-20 over the life of the lease doesn't matter. Mine has Tech and running boards.
  • pinupgirlpinupgirl Member Posts: 1
    Hello, I'm buying an MDX soon but I have a question.
    If I want to do finance thru other banks than honda finance (if the bank provides the lower interest rate than 4.9% for 60 months), is it possible to buy an MDX with finance from the bank, with keeping the price quote I got from Acura? Again, when an Acura dealer offeres a quote, are they assuming that I'm getting finance thru Honda Finance?
    For those of you who bought an MDX, did you guys get finance from Honda Finance? Honestly I haven't looked into other bank's loan, but 4.9% for 60 months is good compared to other banks?
    I got mine through Honda Finance because you lease. When you work the deal, you negotiate price first and then financing. They may assume you are going to go through them, but you don't have to. You should go with whomever gives you the best rate.

4.9% is pretty good. I can't see many banks beating that.
    The price you negotiate should be completely independant of how you finance the car. The dealer doesn't get any say in who writes the check ultimately whether it's Honda Finance or another bank.

As Tyler said though it would be pretty unusual for a bank to be able to beat 4.9% for 60 months or 2.9% for 36 months.
  • nhtlmdxnhtlmdx Member Posts: 1
    mechanic5, did you lease or purchase this vehicle? Just to clarify, you paid $41,000 for the Tech and Entertainment Packages? That seems like a pretty good deal. I am heading there this week. Would like the Sport Package but I definitely want at least the Tech Package.
  • sierra294sierra294 Member Posts: 3
    Mechanic 5 - can you tell me the terms of your lease (if you leased it)? Was the MSPR $46,610? Did you have any money down and what were your final monthly payments (including tax)?

I was looking at one yesterday (tech pkg w/ liftgate, no ENT pkg) and they want $647/mo with $1425 paid at signing (includes 1st mo, security, tax, title, etc.) Salesman was telling me MSPR is $44910 and selling price is $41500 with 0.000197 money factor and residual value of $25,177.60.

I am a single woman and have never negotiated a lease deal before, so I always worry they are taking advantage of me!! Unfortunately, I'm not sure how everyone is getting all their numbers (Cap cost, cap cost reduction, etc.) - are dealers willing to give you these numbers if you ask them? Is there another way to acquire them? It's all a little overwhelming! Help!! :confuse:
  • sierra294sierra294 Member Posts: 3
    I got the same quote on this vehicle - thought it seemed high too. I am in PA. Did they give you monthly payment info with 0 down?
    can you be a bit more specific about what you mean by "and some other junk"?
    Junk = window etching, premium tire package and full maintenance on car and roadside assistance. My impression is they act like they "give" this to you but in reality this is standard on every car they sell. When I was talking to them I told them I didn't want any of that stuff, but they gave it to me anyway. I'm sure the costs are baked in somewhere.

They did not do the protection package scam (all weather mats and tire locks) which was like $500+ at other places.

They did hit me with a $500 acquisition fee for the lease which also includes gap insurance to cover any difference in value of car and value on lease in the event of an accident. I don't know if that is a real cost or if I got scammed. AT this point, it doesn't matter and at least I'm covered.

I'm certainly not the model bare bones buyer.
    Tech package does not come with power lift gate so it sounds like you are buying a Tech package car.

Invoice on Tech package is $39,688 + $715 destination charge... or around $40,400.

You would be paying $700 over invoice which if no other dealer charges are thrown in (paperwork charge, protection packages and other sources of dealer profit) is a good deal.
  • josheeljosheel Member Posts: 73
    Thanks for the info,that does seem high and I'll keep looking .
    The advertising charge you might have to pay. Documentation fee is bologna and you should ask for that to be included in your offer price. You don't have to get the conveniance (ripoff) package if you order the car and those accessories aren't installed when it comes off the truck.

My dealer was similarly priced, they actually tried to get me to bite at 3% over invoice, plus accessories, plus $400 paperwork charge, etc.

I ended up offering them $500 over invoice out the door including all fees and then I left the dealership. You have to be willing to LEAVE to get the price you want, especially if you show up on a busy day like a Saturday. A week later they called me and I ended up paying $500 over invoice plus the advertising charge and that was it. I did have to take delivery of a car that had just arrived and didn't have all the extras installed.
  • juli714juli714 Member Posts: 4
    It sounds like you are really not interested in an Acura. $500.00 below invoice will turn off every dealer in the state. You should offer about $3000.00 over the invoice price.