Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Acura MDX Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• kss17kss17 Member Posts: 5
    Is there a difference between destination charge and administrative/documentary/tag fee ? I have a quote from a dealer on a 2010 Acura MDX which includes admin/doc/tag fee but dosent have the destination charge..
  • parismparism Member Posts: 5
    Does the price you paid $44991 include all the accessories (Black roof rail+All floor mat + tri fold cargo tray)?
    $44991 is about $350 above the invoice of $44642 for Tech and Entertainment, right? It is a very good price.
    I just got a similar discount for a BASE model.
    It seems that dealers are more willing to negotiate these days.
  • igiban1igiban1 Member Posts: 24
    You mean the price would be the same with or w/o those accessories, and dealer just gave you those ('for free') to close the deal (or to stop your trying to lower price)?
  • rdh4healthrdh4health Member Posts: 1
    I am looking to buy a 2010 MDX Tech and live in the Oklahoma City area. They are only 2 on lot here--don't think they are going to deal. (Also have already driven to Tulsa and Wichita KS to look). According to the internet, there are quite a few in Dallas. Was wondering what people were paying there. Would be willing to but one there if the price was right (even though I am a past Acura customer here).
  • carrera993carrera993 Member Posts: 26
    Destination is $810 out here in Northern Calif, and is separate from any doc fees. License and registration is a separate fee.
  • suv2002suv2002 Member Posts: 20
    I feel foolish even asking about extended warranties since I never get them but...
    I just bought a certified 2007 MDX with Tech (28K miles) and they offered to extend the bumper-to-bumper from 62K miles to 100K. Price is $1113. Is this something I should entertain or blow them off? BTW car cost $31.2K.
  • lhhlhh Member Posts: 35
    Am loving the new car! Am trying to forget all about the hassles of purchasing it now. Thank you to carrera993 and igiban1 for all the help you have provided me!
  • dvricedvrice Member Posts: 73
    I am looking to buy a used 2007/08/09 MDX. There is a lot of great info in this forum for purchasing new, but I am having trouble determining what a "good" price is for a used MDX.

For example, what would be considering a very good price for a 2008 MDX with Tech and RES and 40k miles?

I appreciate any help. Thanks.
  • dvricedvrice Member Posts: 73
    Three-year leases on 2007 MDX's are coming due. Does anyone know what the pre-negotiated sales price is for someone to purchase a 2007 base MDX that they had leased?

The reason I ask is that I know someone who leased a 2007 MDX and has already leased a 2010 MDX. Now, they have to decide if they want to pruchase the 2007 MDX that they leased (to sale it for a profit) or just turn it back in. They asked me to make them an offer. If my offer is high enough over the price for which they can purchase it, then they will purchase it and resell it to me. If my offer is too low, then they are just going to turn it back in.

They wouldn't tell me the exact pre-negotiated price that they can buy it for, but I get the feeling they want to make $500-$1000 profit on the deal to make it worth their time.

Does anyone know this pre-negotiated lease purchase price for a 2007, or what a good "low end" offer would be for a base 2007 MDX with 40k miles?
  • aneesh1aneesh1 Member Posts: 2
    Hi All,

I want to buy a new MDX 2010 soon and i'd like to get an advance package
    how much i should go over the invoice? i live in Minneapolis, MN
    any ideas? i think in MN destination charge is $500.

Thank you.

Aneesh
  • rastmrastm Member Posts: 16
    You got an offer for an MDX base for $350 over invoice?...I would jump on that if thats the case..I don't see a lot of negotiating right now with the limited supply on hand...
    Their lease residual should be able to be figured out by going to the "Lease" forum for the MDX and go back to the date (approx) that they bought their '07 and see what the 36 month residual was at that time. The residual % is applied against MSRP in case you just have a percentage and not the actual amount. But in skimming a bunch of posts you should be able to find the actual 36 month residuals for the model you want. Here is a spot you might start reading...

krista11, "Acura MDX Lease Questions" #421, 16 Nov 2006 11:51 am">link title
  • dkny2314dkny2314 Member Posts: 8
    No, the prices listed are the prices they quoted me for the accessories installed.
  • dkny2314dkny2314 Member Posts: 8
    No wheel locks are not included by default. I asked for those accessories and those are the prices I would have to pay to get them.
  • happydukehappyduke Member Posts: 3
    Working with dealer on 2010 MDX Advance Pkg. Got price down to $49000. Looking to lease for 36 mo driving 12000 per year. Taxes 8.5% adn would like to roll them into lease. Can anyone give me an idea what monthly rate I should expect to pay?

Thanks
  • rbairbai Member Posts: 8
    Dear hr2009,

You got a very nice deal. Could you share the dealer information? Thanks!
  • jvettejvette Member Posts: 70
    I think most of the 2007's residual values were in the $28,000 range. I wouldn't feel real comfortable with this deal if the person wasn't willing to tell me what they want for the MDX. In most cases I have not found it worth the money to purchase a car at lease end unless the person who leased the car agrees to sell it at the residual value. You will also have to go through the dealer to purchase the car if it is leased through Honda because they won't let you buy it from the person who leased the MDX. They will have to purchase the car and pay sales tax and then sell it to you and you may also have to pay sales tax. This is a deal killer. Honda has some very good leases but they aren't set up for the person leasing to sell at lease end.
    "Double sales tax" is not usually a problem if you buy someone's car when they exercise the residual. At least not in California....not sure about other states, but Calif is usually not a low-tax haven on things like this.
  • kss17kss17 Member Posts: 5
    Thanks for the quick reply. I am in North Carolina (Raleigh-Durham area). I will most probably confirm with the dealer on the destination charge. One other thing is I am getting a quote of 44,000 for 2010 mdx with tech package -- not including destination, doc and license fees. How much negotiating room do I have ?
    I don't know your local market, but I just bought 2010 Tech for $43,500 + TTL and got a couple of small freebies thrown in. So with destination, you are about $1300 higher than me. So it would seem you have some room to work with.
  • frankfafrankfa Member Posts: 1
    I am planning to lease an Acura MDX with tech package in Boston area. Does anybody know it it is a good idea to lease or it's better to buy it at this moment.
    I appreciate for any input or suggestion.
    congrats on your new car, carrera993! sounds like you got a great deal. do you mind if i ask which dealership you decided to buy from?
    lhh
  • parismparism Member Posts: 5
    Hi rastm,

Yes, you are right about the offer. January seems really slow for some dealers.
    However, the doc fee is $399 and no accessories thrown in.
    doc fee of $399 seems unusually high.....
  • kcarlson1kcarlson1 Member Posts: 1
    I just closed on a 36 month lease, 12K miles/yr, 2010 Acura w/ tech package in the Chicago suburban area for $674/mo. Document Fees are $150, liscense transfer is $185.
  • happydukehappyduke Member Posts: 3
    What dealer? I am at $695 for same vehicle in Chicago suburbs.
  • jayusjayus Member Posts: 2
    My dealer is quoting the following
    The 2010 Acura MDX TECH/ENT $44,659 plus taxes and licenses fees. This includes destination and delivery fees. How much can I negotiate?
    Thanks
    Oakland.
    gotcha. you got a great deal! i'm a bit overwhelmed by all the bells and whistles on the tech, but it has some really cool features....
    hi, igiban1,
    just wanted to tell you that i picked up my mats and trifold cargo tray today. the trifold cargo tray works great, but it cannot handle one 3rd row seat down and one up, as you had asked me about. when i was looking inside different mdx's, i'm pretty sure i did see something that looked like a cargo "mat"...it was not a tray, but did seem to offer protection to the carpet back there. and this cargo "mat" DID look as if it could accomodate one 3rd row seat down and one up....it had more folds in than the tri fold cargo tray....i'm not sure what you'd call that accessory...
    lhh
  • anand4anand4 Member Posts: 6
    What is a good price for a base MDX in cary, NC? truecar is indicating a price of $38,344. I am not finding a price lower than 41000. ACURA dealers are not negotiating much and seem to indicate that inventory is low. Any advice?
  • Adam BoydAdam Boyd Member Posts: 23
    Seems to me like the certified pre owned MDX's that are 2 or 3 years old don't provide much of a savings over a new MDX... for example a 2008 tech package mdx with 20k miles on lists for 38k (that's the special internet price!) -- while I'm fairly certain I can get a 2010 Tech for 42k in the NJ area where I live. The question is, what's the point of buying used? Unless that price is 4 or 5k more than what they'll actually take (i.e. if they'd take 33k for the 08 MDX) I see no value in buying a pre-owned vehicle. Can anyone shed some light on this for me?
  • tastycakes55tastycakes55 Member Posts: 35
    Devteam-

It's pretty simple. There are a lot of ignorant car buyers out there who would rather pay 2-4k less for a used car than just buy the new one. The reason is there is a perception you can't negotiate on the prices of these new and that $4,000 less is $4,000 saved.

If all buyers were educated dealers would not be able to play all the games they seem to enjoy at the dealership during the purchase process.

Mods, please delete me if this seems racist, but I'll also add (at least in my area) there is a diversity of immigrant cultures and ethnicities, and some of those groups tend to only buy a certain product, and don't know about how to buy a car here in the US and tend to be taken advantage of at the dealership.
  • mercury11mercury11 Member Posts: 7
    hi devteam
    just wondering how you are so certain you can get 2010 tech for 42k, I am also in the process of buying a 2010 tech in NJ.
  • lewis3lewis3 Member Posts: 25
    It is just me or is anybody else surprised at the huge price differences people are paying accross the country. I have read that some people are paying $350.00 over invoice and others are paying $300.00 below MSRP. I have followed this chat room and other in regards to pricing and I have never seen anything like this. I just bought the MDX in Denver and I paid $1,100 over invoice. I did that by working with a broker and they brought in the car from out of state. In Denver that is a great deal. Most of the dealers I am talking to would only discount $500.00 to $700.00 and they wanted to add in thier $399 dealer handling fee. That is pretty close to MSRP.
    For those who got Tech or above pack, do you feel that the ELS audio is really that superior than base? Anyone did a comparison? I sat on a tech and listened briefly to FM radio and it's nothing that special. I did not test base audio. I listened to ELS on old TL once (05 or 06) and it's pretty good. I'd think new MDX's be even better but is it?
    Hi lhh,
    So when both 3rd seats are up the tray stick to the back of seats? That's nice. But if you ever need to do one up one down, I guess it'd be annoying... I guess I'd not bother to purchase it but if dealer has room to throw in why not. What about the all season mats? I saw some on display in demo car and they fit well and are sturdy all right, but they don't seem to look refined. Kind of dirty on its own and make the car look less luxy. Snow country people would like it, but I am not sure for people in Cal. Maybe it's nice to put on when ski but not otherwise?
    Not to mention that if financing the purchase, new cars can be financed through Acura Financial at 1.9% or 2.9% depending on term, while the interest rate for used cars is ~4% higher.
    hi, igiban1, ok so yes when both 3rd seats are up, the tray gets folded into thirds and lies fairly flatly in the back space behind the third row. if one of those 3rd row seats were up and one were down, you'd just do this same thing: fold the tray into thirds...so not annoying really, i don't think. the question is: what types of things will you haul around in the back? stuff that might dirty the carpet back there?
    i think that the all season mats look fine. not luxy maybe but not tacky either. here's what i would use to make my deicision: what color interior are you going to get? i've got the parchment interior and i know from my volvo that that the tan carpet gets pretty dirty looking FAST. this time of year out here, folks seem to have muddy/wet shoes pretty often, don't you think? if you go with the taupe or black interior, i do not think that this is so much of an issue.
    Good point. You must like that interior color! We have cream color in another car and it looks real dirty now. Don't they match color on mats also, so that can get dirty soon too, but at least it's not carpet. I personally like to use some clear mats that would still show the underlined nicer looking carpet mats, but they may not fit that well... Tray can be useful I gather for some dirty/wet stuff on back. Glad that I pushed you to get it. Not all dealers would give you that if not enough margin.
  • magbarnmagbarn Member Posts: 35
    For those who got Tech or above pack, do you feel that the ELS audio is really that superior than base? Anyone did a comparison? I sat on a tech and listened briefly to FM radio and it's nothing that special. I did not test base audio. I listened to ELS on old TL once (05 or 06) and it's pretty good. I'd think new MDX's be even better but is it?

If you're basing a quality of a stereo by how it sounds in fm, maybe you should stick the base stereo. The base stereo is decent, but pop in a DVD audio or a well mastered cd in the ELS and be prepared to be blown away. A good stereo will just magnify the flaws of your audio source and fm radio is of the most flawed out there
  • mechanicalmechanical Member Posts: 4
    Does this include tax???

Total out of pocket was $ 335.00???
  • ireneatlas19ireneatlas19 Member Posts: 7
    If you dont mind me asking what dealership offered you 44,659?
    Thanks
    Irene
    yes, igiban1, i cannot thank you enough for prodding me into asking for the mats and cargo tray. it seems silly but that made me feel so much better about the whole deal. yes, i am partial to the parchment interior color. i liked with my old white car and i think it looks sharp with the black mdx. but you are right, it does show the dirt. i think that the clear mats would be the answer for you if you could get ones that fit well....and yes my mats are beige to match the parchment interior but should be easy enough to hose those off....
    lhh
    How did they handle your request tho? Did you threaten to void the deal for that or just showing being grumpy, and they just said all right... I guess they'd have said it's not part of the deal.. But at the end I think there's enough margin for them to do good deed. Of course it'd be even better they just yanked $200 off the total but I guess that'd be harder... Black+Parchment is one sharp SUV... But prepare to wash inside out often! Enjoy it.
    so the salesman i was working with made a HUGE deal about my being HAPPY and telling that to acura when they called me after the purchase. so when i went to pay for the car, i said that i was no longer feeling happy because another dealer that i had also been working with had called me that morning and offered me the car at invoice (this was true). so, now i said that i was feeling as if i'd overpaid by $500. i first asked for $500 off the purchase price but they said they couldn't do that since i'd basically signed everything except the check. so i said, well, then you need to throw me a bone: how about mats and a cargo tray? they hemmed and hawed and finally i asked to see the sales manager and he gave them to me and called them "add ons". i would not have thought to try this tack if you had not mentioned the accessories to me....
  • soulmamasoulmama Member Posts: 25
    IMHO, the ELS audio system in the 2010 Tech is one of the best car audio systems I have ever heard.
    I recently purchased 2 DVD audio disks (they are hard to come by) and was blown away with the quality of sound. I listened to one of my all time fav albums (Moody Blues Days of Future Passed) and it was as if I had never heard it before.
    The USB connection for my iPhone is seamless and even the most compressed tunes sound incredible on the ELS system.
    All this combined with the improved noise dampening have made my 2+ hours a day in the car a most pleasurable experience.
    I love this car!
  • jayusjayus Member Posts: 2
    hopkins acura in north california
  • noscreennamenoscreenname Member Posts: 7
    Two questions:

1) When will the 2011 MDX's being hitting dealership lots?
    2) What is about the best price I'll get on a 2010 MDX Base?

I don't really need the navigation, surround sound, rear seat DVD, Milano leather, and the other what nots. My main concerns are the functionality, dependability, and high resale value of the MDX.

Thanks in advance for your help.
    For people who just bot or are shopping for MDX aren't you all concerned about Acura/Honda tranny issue? It appears that most complaints on the mdx tranny thread are for pre-07 models, but that maybe just because 07 and later are still young, or anyone thinks the tranny problem is behind us post 07. Of course now 2010 mdx got a new tranny, an unknown?