Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Acura MDX Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• jingljingl Member Posts: 2
    Hi Ihh,
    I am residing in Arizona, and have been struggling to find a dealer offering invoice price on 2010 MDX w/Tech. You purchase experience in CA is very encouraging to me, so I want to try to lock in a deal in CA and drive it back. Do you think I can get a quote of $42,109 plus TTL? Which dealers should I try...?

Anyone that has good suggestion on price and dealer, please let me know. Many thanks in advance!
  • mercer08mercer08 Member Posts: 24
    Here's a price point that may or may not help you folks in the PNW (Oregon & WA) areas. Not sure if this particular trim is in short supply or if the NW is much more inflated than other areas of the country, but I shopped around OR and WA for several weeks and this was the best I could do for the color and trim that I was looking for. The car was only available for a few weeks, so if you wait, i'm sure you can do much closer to invoice than I did.

2010 Acura MDX Advanced with Entertainment, Black exterior, black interior

MSRP (incl base + dest): $54,565

Price paid was 2k less than MSRP: $52,565

Genuine Acura Installed Accessories with 4yr/50k warranty: $3,691
    Wheel Lock Set, All Season Mats, Tri-fold Cargo Tray
    Roof Rails & Cross Bars Silver
    Complete Tow Package including 2" ball
    Advanced Running Board
    Door Edge Film
    Body Side Molding

Total: 56,256

Only extras were Tax, Title, & License. I had an excellent buying experience at Ron Tonkin Acura in Portland, OR. I rated the dealership 5 out of 5 stars for this transaction because they were honest, easy to work with, very detailed, respected my time, and provided an overall efficient and good experience. The quotes I recieved in the Seattle area were about $1500 - 1700 more than quotes coming in from OR. I have up to 6k miles to purchase the extended warranty, so i'll wait a few more months.

So far the car is performing well and haven't had any issues. The sound system blows away any other factory system I've had in the past. Not a big fan of the light brown wood around the dash (prefer the dark grey stuff they had in the 2009s). Voice recognition worked very well the few times i used it. Navigation is also fairly intuitive. The dashboard doesn't feel too busy as several reviewers have mentioned.
  • lhhlhh Member Posts: 35
    hi, jingl, first, the invoice price of the mdx tech is $42,919 (honda increased the invoice price in jan.) and that includes $810 dest.ination fee. los gatos acura was the dealer who told me that mdx's are going for invoice right now, so try them. also try my dealer: stevens creek autowest acura. bear in mind that my deal at stevens creek was $1700 over invoice. this included 4years of prepaid maintenance on the car ( A and B services). the value of that is $1200. not sure if you could use that at your local AZ dealer, you'll have to ask. and i got about $300 of accessories thrown in as well. so call los gatos acura and stevens creek autowest acura. let me know what you find out!
    lhh
  • igiban1igiban1 Member Posts: 24
    Hey lhh, did you get that quote of 1700+invoice with maint. on the initial quote or you had to bargain down a bit?
  • Adam BoydAdam Boyd Member Posts: 23
    Hi -- no reason other than reading these boards and others. My understanding is that bridgewater acura is willing to sell at $700 over invoice... I'm not sure about either open road or DCH in montclair, but that's what I've read in several places about bridgewater -- also the princeton acura was mentioned as offering good prices. I'd rather pay 42/43k for a brand new car than 36 or 37 for a 2 or 3 year old car. That's just my opinion.
    hi, igiban, the $1700+invoice with maintenance included came about after several hours (!) of negotiations. can't even remember what their first quote was....but it was significantly higher...
    lhh
  • dvricedvrice Member Posts: 73
    A local dealer still has a brand new 2009 MDX w/ Tech package. He said they are very motivated to sell the 2009 yada, yada, yada, and wanted me to make an offer. I hate salesman that won't just give me a bottom line price, but what would be a great price on a new 2009 MDX w/ Tech currently?

The one this dealer has just happens to be the color combo I want.
  • sascsasc Member Posts: 14
    We are interested in a tech pkg, and am not clear on this-does the invoice price i saw posted here-42919 include the 810 delivery charge? does anyone know what a good deal in the mass area would be? the color combo we want is not in yet, should be in the middle of feb. thanks
  • mdxguy5mdxguy5 Member Posts: 6
    First off, thanks to all that posted before me. It helped me gear up for my purchase and I am quite happy with the result. As a return favor, here is where I ended up.

2010 Acura MDX Tech & Ent. I could have cared less, but in stock the color the boss (wife) wanted also had roof rails and x-bars as well as the "Advance" side step. [Control your excitement...] I also had them throw in the cargo try given the slush and snow run off from kids strollers.

Anyway, in the Chicagoland dealer, we settled at $44,900 + TTL. Hope this helps all of you...

Best of Luck
  • bronco12bronco12 Member Posts: 1
    Hello,
    Has anyone recently purchased an MDX base in Chicago and received a great deal ? Where ? We are looking to buy soon. Best I am seeing is $600 over old invoice, but I thing I can do better. Please advise asap. Thank you
    as carrera993 taught me, the 42919 includes the 810 dollar dest. charge.
  • sascsasc Member Posts: 14
    thanks , very helpful
  • boatskigolf1boatskigolf1 Member Posts: 7
    RE: mdxguy5 purchase at chicagoland dealer

Quick question on your final purchase cost, was the $44,900 for the car with the options or without options included?

I believe the invoice on a tech + ent is $44,642.

Either way, based on the sales reports here; you got either a great deal or a really great deal.

Thanks for sharing.
    I should have been clearer and the reason it may be a really great deal is a sum of the following: (i) it was on the lot, (ii) it was late on a Friday, (iii) January 29th - assuming month-end sales quota urban legend is true, (iv) i told them that if they could not meet my budget, we were taking our insurance proceeds (were slammed by another driver for a total loss on our 05 MDX) to Volvo.

Bottom line, it was $44,900 +TTL, INCLUDING the accessories - roof rack with x-bars, the Advance Side Step and cargo tray.

By the way, I picked it up today (1/30/09) and ran into a younger brother of a good friend and told him what I was able to strike. The Sales Manager later told him that the car he sold me had accessories that most buyers were not willing to purchase and upfront told him he could not get the same deal that I did. Take that for what it's worth - I do not believe it.

This also may be important to others - when I made my first offer of $44,200 - I told them they could either sell the one I bought or they could get a MDX Tech, add the dual headrest DVD system (quoted $1800), normal roof rails (no x-bars), cheapest side step and cargo tray. They chose the one in stock, so maybe they were part telling the truth.

Not sure it matters, but I bought it with cash on the spot.
    By the way, I thought invoice on MDX T/E was $43,109 - maybe I just got real lucky
    You can see my recent post. I thought it was a good deal - maybe there is better. Mine was from McGrath in Morton Grove, IL. Sales manager was a younger guy (cannot give names per the notice above). I'd go there.
    You don't see that kind of add-ons on a stock car in lot too often. Maybe whoever wanted it backed out, and dealer just wanted to unload it, since it's already installed. Sometimes great deals come to you.
  • carrera993carrera993 Member Posts: 26
    No, invoice on Tech/Ent is higher than that.
    I have a current sales price offer of $23,500 on a 2007 MDX with Tech and RES. The vehicle has high mileage for a 2007 of 91k. Even with the high mileage, Edmunds used car valuator indicates this price is below trade-in value.

I would appreciate any input on how good this price is. This was the first sales price offer, so I believe they make take an offer of $22,000. I wanted to get some feedback on how good this price is before I consider making an offer.
    so, igiban1, what specifically is the MDX transmission issue you mentioned in an earlier post? i know about 10 people with older MDX's and none of them has had a problem like that....yet?
    lhh
  • jvettejvette Member Posts: 70
    That's a pretty good price for a 2007 but if you look around a little you will find 2007 with the same options and about half the miles for about $6,000 more. Most 2007 are going for about $33,000. Myself I would look around more and find one with less miles. Granted it's an Acura but that's still a pretty good amount of miles and there are some expensive maintenance items that are going to need to be done like a timing belt replacement. That could run about $1000.
  • wantanmdx1wantanmdx1 Member Posts: 3
    Given we are up to almost 1000 pages, can someone post what the sticker and invoices are for base, tech, entertainment and advance packages?? Or a link to where we can find that?

I am looking to buy an MDX Tech in Westchester, NY, wondering if anyone here has bought or looked? Acura of Westchester really pushed buying instead of leasing. Quoted me 45,300 @ 2.9% to finance, or 46,715 to lease. These seem high compared to some figures I've seen posted here... Any advice or direction, much appreciated...
    lhh, just look at the mdx tranny thread. Nay, if you have bot it don't look. Which years' mdx do these 10 people you know have?
    igiban1,
    ok, (gulp) i'll take a look. friends' mdx's are mostly in the 2004-2008 range....
    lhh
    check edmunds.com for invoice and msrp on all mdx varieties. look under "new cars" section...
    Thanks for the feedback. I have decided to pass on that vehicle for two reasons. The high mileage and the fact that I really don't need the nav or rear entertainment. I am going to look for something that fits my needs better without all the extra option but less mileage at a similar price point.

Any opinion on what a very good price would be on a 2007 base MDX with 40 - 50k miles? I have read this entire forum and looked at lots of sales prices from other sites. It looks like $25-$27k would be a really good price. Any feedback?

Thanks
  • jingljingl Member Posts: 2
    Thanks a lot, Ihh! That's very helpful! And good recommendations. The only hurdle I am having now is that I have a car to trade in, and I will lose tax benefit on the trade in value of the car (CA tax on the full value of purchase merchandise, not on the net value of new and trade-in car).
  • fred522fred522 Member Posts: 5
    I live in Westchester too and got a costco membership quote for 2010 MDX with tech package of 43,300. Hope this helps.
  • boatskigolf1boatskigolf1 Member Posts: 7
    RE: waqntanmdx1

MDX + tech

$46,715 for the lease is the MSRP !!!
    $45,300 does seem a bit high. Edmunds TMV has it $44,060 (at least a few days ago) The "average" price reported in this forum for a 2010 Tech is about $43,800 (if you believe everything you read, this post included :-) :) ).
    Invoice+dest is $42,919. So, the costo quote in another post here of $43,300 is about $400 over invoice, not a bad placde to try to negotiate down from...
  • dkny2314dkny2314 Member Posts: 8
    Please email me at [email protected]. I just got a great deal on a MDX in Jersey. MY sales person was amazing.

Matthew
    My purchase began with Costco pricing. When informed of the resulting price, I got up and thanked them for their time. I indicated that the Costco price was available next week or next month, so no need to buy today. If thay wanted a deal today, it would have to be lower than even Costco.
    Reading through the forum, the best pricing I saw on 2009 MDX base models was between $34 - $34.5k. Most of these deals were in December and early January.

For the remaining 2009s out there, would you expect dealers to match this same price of $34k or potentially go even a little lower?

The reason I ask is that 2007 and 2008 models with low mileage are sellling for $29-32k. It would certainly be worth $2k to get the 2009 brand new vehicle.

Does anyone know of dealers with a large inventory of 2009s remaining?
    has anyone who has recently bought an mdx noticed how it is chewing through the gasoline? i knew that the milage was not great, but i'm amazed at how quickly it goes through gas--i'm averaging 13.4 MPG around town. i can practically see the gas gauge move!
    lhh
    ps igiban1, i am really loving the all season mats and cargo tray. you must get those!
    13.x MPG on premium?? Do you stop and go too much.... Maybe I should just get the mats and tray and forget about the car :). I know you got matching colored mats but can you picture black mats look sharp on taupe or parchmenrt?
    yes, 13.4 with premium. and yes, i do stop and go a lot, but no way to get around that. do you think i need to keep putting premium in this car?
    despite the milage, i still think you should get an mdx. not many good alternatives. i think that black mats would look sharp with the taupe but not with the parchment.
  • CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Member Posts: 38,514
    Hi lewis3. In reading the posts in this discussion over the past several months I've noticed that at first dealers were not willing to provide much of a discount on the new 2010 Acura MDX, but dealers in most of the country have changed their tune quickly. Generally speaking, it seems like substantial discounts can now be had on this truck everywhere except on the Western U.S. where the supply / demand dynamics are different and dealers are sticking to much higher prices.

My $0.02.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid: Buying & Leasing Experiences Forum
  • CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Member Posts: 38,514
    Here's a link to the section the pricing section of this site for anyone who's interested:

Edmunds.com New Vehicle Pricing

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid: Buying & Leasing Experiences Forum
    Anyone know of any dealers with new 2009 base model MDXs still in stock?
  • wantanmdx1wantanmdx1 Member Posts: 3
    Hi Car_man, when you mention "substantial discounts", can you quantifiy that, and compare to how much you are seeing off from invoice?
    ok, igiban1, i read through a lot of thread on tranmission issues and the mdx. after reading through it all, do you feel that acura has fixed the problem in the 2010's or not? will it keep you from buying one?
    lhh
  • mwal27mwal27 Member Posts: 6
    We are looking to purchase a 2010 MDX base model. Although we haven't gotten down to the nitty gritty of the haggling process yet, the best price we've been given so far is $41,500. I am curious if anyone has purchased in the Dallas area, and if so what did you manage to get off the MSRP? Thanks!
    Would it have concerned you? Now I have not seen much complaint from 07+ mdx so that's a good sign. But then they might be just too young to be sick. 10 mdx got a new tranny. Hope that's better but only time will tell. Anyway, it's not like any other brand would for sure fare better these days....
  • mwal27mwal27 Member Posts: 6
    Okay, how much is TT+L on a 2010 Acura MDX?? I told a dealer that I want to walk out without spending more than 39,000 on a new base model MDX and he said that would make the sale price around 36. Is TT+L really around 3,000 dollars?? Thanks.
  • lewis3lewis3 Member Posts: 25
    That totally depends on your tax rate. In Colorado the tax ranges from 4.1% to 9.5% depending on what county you live in. You need to research your tax and title fees for you individual area.
    the cry for a class action law suit in the transmission thread is concerning to say the least. but, as you say, the 2010 does have a new transmission and wouldn't you hope that honda would have figured out what the problem was, with 10 years of data? wishful thinking, perhaps. but, as you also comment, would you feel any better with any of the competitors?...seems that there are issues with other makes, too....
  • deconstrukdeconstruk Member Posts: 3
    was just wondering if anyone has any info on buying a vehicle out of state? Say buying in Nevada and driving back to Cali where i live to avoid the sales tax. My wife and i are going to get the MDX this year and i was thinking if i could save about 3500 bucks. Anyway, just thought i'd post up here for comments before i started digging on the net for info. Thanks
  • slogdog1slogdog1 Member Posts: 2
    If that worked, noone would buy a car in California again! They will get the taxes with registration.
    carrera993, what are the freebies thrown in on your $43500 mdx? mats, tray and locks or just some of them? BTW, what's your OTD price (in either 9.75 or 9.25 tax rate)?
  • Adam BoydAdam Boyd Member Posts: 23
    When you go to register the car, at least in the state that I live in, that's when you pay the sales tax. So you could buy it in Nevada, but when you go to register the car in California, you've got to pay CA sales tax -- I'm pretty sure that's how it works.
  • slogdog1slogdog1 Member Posts: 2
    There is a lot of recent discussion about tech/ent pricing. Anyone have feedback on Base pricing?