Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Acura MDX Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• lhhlhh Member Posts: 35
    at least where i am in northern ca, on the radio, i keep hearing "big presidents day" weekend sale--including mdx's....probably just hype, but still....
  • flyguy11flyguy11 Member Posts: 3
    Yes, 48500 OTD is before the trade-in. I got $500 for my trade-in (Nissan Altima 93 made w/120K mileage). I don't like the exterior color (iodized bronze) very much but since the price is good and sales manager is very friendly I pulled the trigger.
    BTW, I bought the MDX from Fairfield Acura.
  • pvdesipvdesi Member Posts: 9
    I was quoted 48620 OTD for Tech/Ent with running boards and wheel locks...

anybody hear of better deals?

I'm going to the dealer today to see if the deal is too good to be true...the same dealer originally quoted me 49008 for tech only with no wheel locks.

will post again tomorrow my experience.
    Of course this deal was too good to be true...the salesperson misquoted tech/ent and meant tech only...

on another note...would you buy a car from a dealer that is closing?
  • sascsasc Member Posts: 14
    we have a 44,200 quote on a tech, now squabbling over roof rack-dealer says his cost in 650 in the rack-does anyone know if this is right? we think we should be able to do better than this, but 2 other dealers in our area say that they can't do better than this, does anyone in the mass/ri area have any suggestions?
    A dealership in my area is closing and has some decent MDX deals...anybody think it is a bad idea to buy a car from a closing dealership? As a note, we are taking the car from CA to Utah and wouldn't do any services at the dealership.
  • ursamajor1ursamajor1 Member Posts: 39
    I financed the MDX through American Honda Finance (2.9%, 36 months), and the California sales tax and registration was added on to the financed amount, I had no choice in the matter. After some back and forth between American Honda Finance and the Utah DMV, it was finally registered in Utah 5 months later; I double-paid for registration but not for sales tax (Utah waives it if tax was paid somewhere, and the CA tax was higher). I asked about the temp permit/drive out option, but was told it couldn't be done. I did that with a Lexus I leased in Santa Monica 10 years ago, but that may have been feasible at the time because it was a lease vs. purchase (the tax is part of the monthly lease payment, which was incurred in Utah), or because the rules had changed, or just because the dealer's F&I guy was in a bad mood; in any case, he insisted it couldn't be done. It didn't bother me too much, I knew I had to pay tax somewhere, and Park City's sales tax is unfortunately not too far off the one in California.
    Which dealership is closing?
  • lewis3lewis3 Member Posts: 25
    the silver roof rack is very expensive. I ended up going with a black roof rack. I got the rails, crossbars and installation for $400.00. If you want the Silver ones $650.00 is not a bad price.
  • Adam BoydAdam Boyd Member Posts: 23
    34-35k is what they go for at auction 08 tech package < 25k miles, believe it or not. At least in Pennsy and New Jersey...
    Here are a couple from a recent auction, for those looking to buy used 08 models:

2008 MDX 6G 4SUV AWD 17,220 GREY $35,XXX
    2008 MDX 6G 4SUV A PS PB AC SR AWD 6,780 BURG $36,XXX
    2008 MDX 6G 4SUV AWD 22,639 GREY $31,XXX
    2008 MDX 6G 4SUV AWD 15,740 $32,XXX
    2008 MDX 6G 4SUV A PS PB AC SR AWD 24,657 BLACK $31,XXX
    2008 MDX 6G 4SUV A PS PB AC SR AWD 39,999 GREY $32,XXX
    Keyes in Van Nuys (CA)...I have been checking prices against Mike Hale/Jody Wilkinson and CA dealers in Los Angeles.

They would never give me a quote, so I said no to them..
    Good to know...hard to get a clear answer from the dealers.

Not getting a great deal in SLC since I assume demand is less...Price difference is only $80 (more in SLC)...

Seems like it would be better for me to wait until I get back to Utah to purchase the car...
  • dvricedvrice Member Posts: 73
    Are these auction prices for base models? I don't see Tech or Entertainment listed on any of them. If so , this makes no sense because you can buy Acura certified pre-owned vehicles from dealers for these prices. Not to mention, brand new 2009s were selling for under $35k last month.
  • ireneatlas19ireneatlas19 Member Posts: 7
    edited February 2010
    Just purchased in NJ a MDX 2010 TECH / ENT for 45300.00 is that a great deal?
    I bought mine from Brian Plowman (internet sales guy) at Sunnyvale Acura, he was excellent to work with - gave a great price up front, no BS at all. I got over $4k off MSRP on my '08 Tech package at the same time of year in '08 (Pres. day weekend), I would think he'd at least do the same in this market with Acura's sales down. I found the NoCal dealers (of all brands) more willing to deal than SoCal, it seems like there are more of them for the population, it's more competitive. Hale and Wilkinson wouldn't come within $2k of the deal I got. Utah luxury and semi-luxury dealers have a captive market; with the Germans, Lexus, and Acura there are only two dealers in the sate in each case. They tend to hold their pricing and write off the few willing to go out of state. I've gotten mine serviced at Wilkinson twice, no complaints at all.

Interesting about Keyes - aren't they also a large Toyota dealer? I wonder if we'll see more Acura dealers go down; that wouldn't be a good sign at all.
  • parismparism Member Posts: 5
    I would like to buy some accessories for MDX 2010: All-Weather Floor Mats and Sport running board. Did anyone order online, such as the e-bay store: THE ACURA ACCESSORY DEPOT. Are they really genuine Acura accessories?

thanks.
  • jayg6jayg6 Member Posts: 15
    I got a $45,500.00 quote for a MDX Tech+Ent(before TTL) in the San Francisco Bay Area. This was the initial quote. I believe I can negotiate it lower by another $200-$300. It appears that the price you are paying in NJ is about the same that dealers are offering in northern CA. However, this is the lowest I have gotten from any dealer in northern CA.
    Seems pretty good to me.
    ursamajor1--the saleman you mentioned is now at stevens creek acura (autowest) in san jose and i also found him very easy to work with...
    lhh
  • mike_charlottemike_charlotte Member Posts: 18
    edited February 2010
    Hi, I have choice to make by this weekend.

Price is $41,500 with tax and everything

Option 1: New 2010 Base model MDX

Option 2: Used 2009 MDX with Tech package
    3000 Miles
    Certified

Which one would you recommend?
  • fumdxfumdx Member Posts: 7
    get the 2010 because in terms of resale value you're better off with the 2010. 2010 model also resolved some tsb issue that 2009 had before. imp but the choice is all yours.
  • vbuggyvbuggy Member Posts: 2
    May I ask which dealership you purchased from?
  • noscreennamenoscreenname Member Posts: 7
    When do the 2011 MDX's start hitting dealership lots? I ask because I want to score a 2010 model right before the 2011's start arriving in hopes of getting a killer deal.
  • ireneatlas19ireneatlas19 Member Posts: 7
    Yes I went to Ocean of Acura in Ocean NJ ---- Please ask for Robert Super great guy....Tell him Irene referred you....
    Thanks
    Irene
  • jayg6jayg6 Member Posts: 15
    Hello Ihh,

What price was acura of Los Gatos willing to sell you a MDX Tech for? Can you share the exact dollar amount?

Thx!
  • paul0418paul0418 Member Posts: 1
    I am working with a dealer in NJ to get a 2010 MDX Advance without the entertainment package. This AM she told me the factory has stopped making the Advance trim without the entertainment package -- she is only seeing the Advance together with the entertainment package.

Has anybody else been told the same thing?
  • adjohnadjohn Member Posts: 8
    I'm also looking at Keyes Acura for an MDX. I wonder if there's any harm in purchasing a new car from a dealership that's scheduled to close? I still get the Acura Warranty, hmm...?
  • jvettejvette Member Posts: 70
    You still have plenty of room to work with. The price you have of $45,500 on a MDX Tech+Ent is about $1000 over invoice. Then they have about $1400 in holdback money they are making on the deal. So at this point the deal nets them about $2400. If I were you I would make an offer of $44,500 and work from there to where you feel comfortable. Does this dealer charge a Doc fee? If so take this into account when you make your offer. This is pure profit for them and there are many of these Acura dealers who charge $500 just to do the paper work.
    invoice is $39,486 and they have $1267 in holdback money so the net cost to the dealer is $38,219. My first offer would be the $39,500 plus tax, Lic and Doc fees so that would seem to be a pretty good deal depending on your tax and lic rate in your state.

No question for that money go with the 2010.
  • vbuggyvbuggy Member Posts: 2
    Thanks, I will. Did your price of 45,300 include the destination charge? did they also charge a documentaion fee?
  • brian30brian30 Member Posts: 11
    Any recommendations on where to get the best deal in Dallas?
  • jlim0930jlim0930 Member Posts: 19
    definitely not at mcdavid plano acura nor goodson acura

vandergriff service is bad but depending on the sales person you can get the best deal. although my last dealings with vandergriff was bad.

Out of the last 4 MDX i bought I bought 2 from vandergriff and 2 unfortunately from mcdavid
  • aka57aka57 Member Posts: 10
    I am ready to buy a Base 2010. Keyes (Van Nuys) quoted me 1K under Invoice and when asked to give me a written total (out the door) price, they were 2K over what the OTD price should have been. Off my list.
    hi, jayq6,
    los gatos acura told me that they would give me an mdx tech at invoice cost. NOW, that being said, that quote was not put in writing or firmed up, since i told them that i'd already bought the car from stevens creek. but it was my sense that the los gatos guy was going to give me the car for invoice and he made a comment to the effect of "now we're all selling them at invoice"....
    lhh
  • jimocjimoc Member Posts: 1
    do not know new car world. I am in raleigh nc. just got quote for MDX with tech and entertainment package at 45,765 plus admin fee of 398 (all before tax), so call it 46,000 before tax. do not mind them making alittle something, but do not want to be stupid

Based on prior postings I saw, this looks to be about $1,000 over invoice/ aliitle to rich in favor of dealer.

Would 44,500 be good offer, is likely to be accepted
  • stma1stma1 Member Posts: 40
    edited February 2010
    I just picked up a 2010 base for 39300, other quotes were from 40400 up to 41000
    I didn't consider them to best to work with either...I asked five times for their quote, and would never give me a written offer...I sent them a buying price, and they kept arguing with me...You would think they would be more willing to help, seeing that their dealership is closing...
  • autksautks Member Posts: 2
    Did the $39,300 include everything except TTL? We are getting ready to spring for one soon in the Phila area.
    Thanks.
  • stma1stma1 Member Posts: 40
    Yes everything except tax and tags, bought mine at Elite Acura in Maple Shade, NJ, ask for Tom, Montgomeryville Acura wanted 41000 and Turnersville wanted
    40,400, both said if you can buy for 39,300, then go ahead, I guess they didn,t believe me. ( Both prices do not include TTL )
  • mike_charlottemike_charlotte Member Posts: 18
    I just bought 2010 MDX with Tech package from Performance Acura in Chapel Hill, NC. I paid $43,219 + tax, tag and doc fee = $44,985.

I was very happy with this dealer. I live in Concord and I drove 130 miles to get the car from them. Closest dealer to me is in Charlotte about 25 miles and they would not go any where close to invoice. Ask for Phil if you got to Performance Acura.
  • vipavipa Member Posts: 1
    That is not true I just ordered an Advance without the Entertainment Package. The way it goes is that each dealership is allotted a certain number of MDX's and they can configure it any way they want. Since the vehicles are in short supply the dealers are trying to get the most bang for their bug and get the most expensive vehicles
    Also, any dealer can look at other dealers inventory or what they have on order from the factory (Canada). Go to another dealer or get a quote on the internet which is what I did.
  • jimsinyjimsiny Member Posts: 5
    Does anyone know if AHFC will extend the current financing passed 3/1/2010 ?

(2010 MDX Special AHFC A.P.R. Financing 1.9% APR for 24-36 months or 2.9% APR for 37-60 months)
    Each dealer may be allotted a certain amount of MDX's but I do not agree that they are in short supply. I have been to two different dealers and both have lots full of them. Everything from Base, Tech, Tech/Ent and Advanced. One dealer had 20 sitting on the lot waiting for someone to look at them. I know they are a great SUV but at an average price of $46 to $50k they have a slightly limited market. I started looking at them when they first hit the dealer lots at $1k under sticker and then got a call at 2k under sticker and last week got an offer from the same dealer for invoice. I am waiting to see what happens March 1 when the new incentives come into play before I make a decision.

One dealer tried to tell me that I better hurry because they are selling like hot cakes. The same ones are still sitting on his lot that I have seen for a couple of weeks now.
  • bornoborno Member Posts: 77
    edited February 2010
    Looking at a 07 MDX, with sport and rear seat ent. Has 42K miles or so, Grey with light grey int. Think I can get it for $31K. Clean vehicle, I'm ready for the plunge.
    Wife's sienna has over 100K on it and need the next suv for the family. Have an 01M3Conv., for a toy.

Son getting liscence in 15 months, so this will be shared all around the family, wife first, then son. I have to be practical.

So, and thing I should be overly aware of? Comments?
    Thanks in advance for all input.
  • rdxerrdxer Member Posts: 38
    Just picked up a base in Northern Virginia for $38,991 (includes freight, TTL is extra). February has been an awful month (due to weather) so dealers are dipping into their holdback to make deals this month. I'm leasing so I'll add more details when I get a chance. Frankly, I was blown away with $4K+ off of MSRP.
  • sascsasc Member Posts: 14
    we are picking up a tech, grigio w/parchment-roof rails and cross bars in silver plus mats and locks for 44,200(rounded up) not incl ttl. prime acura rt. 1 most other dealers would not budge below 44,500 for just the car, inskip acura basically blew us off, guess they did not need to make a sale. Prime has been nice, had a few bumps in the road when our salesman quit suddenly and the paperwork seems to have been messed up a bit. The gen. mgr nick was very helpful, and we wound up sticking with them.
  • dvricedvrice Member Posts: 73
    If 2010 base models are selling for $39k + TTL now, is it a fairly safe assumption that sometime this year there will be a $2k dealer incentive, so a base could be had for $37k. I have been looking for a good deal on a used MDX, but I think I may just be better off waiting patiently for a dealer incentive then jumping on a new one for $37k. Reading through the forums for 2009, it looks like there were multiple dealer incentives of $2k and a year end incentive of $4k (new 2009 base models were going as low as $34.5k).

Opinions?
    If you can wait, I think you're right. I thought I did well with $4k off MSRP in 2/08 (before the economic world took a tumble) until a colleague told me he got his 2009 (Tech, I believe) last summer or fall for around $10k off list, as the '10's were coming into stock. This was at a SoCal dealer, not sure which one, but he lives in Orange County.
  • rdxerrdxer Member Posts: 38
    A $2K incentive is certainly possible, but remember last year many prospective car buyers where freaked about the economy and Honda needed to unload 09's before the new design 10's arrived. In fact, Honda delayed release of the 10's until the dealer lots had cleared of 09's. If there's a large incentive in place, there's no way they'll go below invoice (they won't have to).