Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2013 and earlier-Acura MDX Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    sanjaysdcasanjaysdca Member Posts: 269
    try acura of mission veijio
    I had a good luck with them about year and a half ago.
    I went to dealers website and requested a quote
    Got a quote in an hour..which I thought was reasonable
    Went in and was done in no time

No trade or loans
    Very clean and efficient process.

Sanjay
    http://normreevesacuramissionviejo.com/
  • Options
    peterbae21peterbae21 Member Posts: 1
    I am in the market for 2010 MDX Tech Package with Sports Running Board. I need your help! what would be the BEST OTD price in Los Angeles, CA dealerships.
    I've been getting OTD price at $50000 from 2 dealerships and I need your help whether that is a great offer I should take.
    Feedbacks and advice needed!
  • Options
    benson9benson9 Member Posts: 1
    Are you still looking? I'm looking now for a Tech Ent 2010 also ASAP. Did you end up getting from out of state? If you did buy, could you tell me how you did?

Thanks
    Benson
  • Options
    firstmdxfirstmdx Member Posts: 8
    jg100... final price involves a number of factors, including location, local competition, details of deal (trade? financing?time of month?dealer inventory?) etc. Every deal is different and if you are satisfied then that's all that matters. For your reference, my deal on a base unit was $39000 including destination charges. Add to that a dealer doc. fee of $399 (Va.) plus TTL. Also I had body side molding added for no charge by the dealer. The unit I purchased was from his inventory and had been in stock for 110 days (also makes a difference to dealer). Your price may not be the best I've seen but certainly looks competitive, again depending on the conditions above.

Hope this helps.
  • Options
    mdx2010temdx2010te Member Posts: 7
    edited June 2010
    Wow these numbers looks too high for me, are they OTD? or Just the Vehicle? i bought 2010 MDX Tech/Ent two weeks ago with Advanced Running Boards and Roof rails included for 46K OTD, i live in VA and the sales Taxes here are 3%. I traded my 06 TL for 17K with this deal.
  • Options
    briz2briz2 Member Posts: 42
    edited June 2010
    Is the OTD your posting including the trade? Do you pay tax on msrp?

Im looking @ 45K + 1500 tax + 125 doc + 25 title/dmv = $46650

I'm getting 15K out of an 07 accord.
  • Options
    bignasty1bignasty1 Member Posts: 26
    What would be a good target for sales price of a MDX Tech including delivery fee? Invoice + 500?
  • Options
    mdx2010temdx2010te Member Posts: 7
    Yes the OTD includes the trade, i did not paid any taxes on MSRP, i got little money left over from my trade after delar took care of the pay off ($500), actual OTD for MDX was 45.5K (including Advanced running boards/roof rails) i did not paid any taxes or any thing extra.

The Deal is 46000-500(from Trade off)=45500 OTD.
  • Options
    pangapanga Member Posts: 23
    Addu,

Congrats on the purchase. Which dealer did you end up buying from?

Thanks.
  • Options
    jg100jg100 Member Posts: 6
    firstmdx, wow, you got a price ($39000) even lower than invoice + destination($39,586 ). that is great ! It seems it is hard to reach over here.

Your id is first MDX, I am also trying to get me first MDX. When I check the price here. people always use " price + TTL", the price here already includes the destination fee. that is also the way we talk about price with dealer. When somebody start to compare the "price" in this format with "invoice", I kind of confuse because the "price" includes destination fee but "invoice" does not, the difference is $810. it is not a small number.

For TTL, our sale tax here is 9.25%, registration for a new MDX is $516, very high, but nothing we can do for this part.

thanks again for your valuable information. I think I can use $39000 as my target, this is the lowest number I found here, did you ever see anybody here in this forum get a better deal than $39000 for a base Model? thanks.
  • Options
    Where is the heaven ? VA, 3% sale tax ?! here 9.25%
  • Options
    firstmdxfirstmdx Member Posts: 8
    jg100... I feel good about my deal. I think that my dealer is going for volume to max. his incentives from Acura and keep his shop full with service work. In any event the competition seems aggressive here in Va.

The lower sales tax is great, but we have an annual personal property tax on cars based on value and I will be hit with $500-600 per year (decreasing with car value).
    Also, nobody here has heard of a shore dinner or clambake, and lobster prices are around $20/lb. So I'm not sure where the heaven is?

Good luck in your purchase.
  • Options
    vinehillvinehill Member Posts: 10
    We just finalized our 2010 MDX with Tech.
    $42,830 including destination of $810. I got all weather mats and wheel locks in the deal. Those freebies retail around $200 I think. I paid an additional $697 for silver roof rack and cross bars and $885 for tow, parts and labor included in these prices.

I live in Connecticut.

Invoice on the MDX with Tech is: $43,269 so my deal was $439 below invoice.
    After we did the deal I received a quote for: $42,519.

It was my gut feeling that if you are patient, and find the right dealer - you can do better than $42,500. I just got tired and wanted to have the car for the memorial weekend. Anyway here are some of my thoughts after going through the process:

1. Look for dealers with higher inventory. I seemed to get a higher response from dealers with lots of cars.
    2. Don't negotiate/purchase on the weekend - deal during the week when there are fewer buyers.
    3. It's OK to call the internet manager and let them know you are ready to buy & have already test drove etc. I think this helps your negotiation as they feel you are are serious and can make a faster deal.
    4. Get all quotes in email. Be specific in regards to all costs. Delivery fee, breakout any dealer fees, lease fees (if leasing). Use this email when you get to the table to finalize the deal. Refuse window etching for example if they try and push it as it isn't listed on your agreement.
    5. Use your email quotes to show other dealers the price they need to beat. Do this over and over. Remember the first quotes you get will be crazy high. Make up a quote around invoice to get the ball rolling faster.
    6. Get them to throw in all weather mats, or items for free (i.e. find out what interior combination they don't have in stock and say that's your preference but will take the taupe they have if they throw in some freebies.)
    7. After you feel you are approaching a good price, then negotiate any accessories. Don't pay full parts and labor. Get a good deal. I got our dealer to drop his prices for tow and roof rack/rails when I showed him lower quotes from other dealers.
    8. They will cry and moan when you start getting below invoice but don't believe their pain for an instant.
    9. Stay unemotional and work for the best deal that makes you happy.
    10. Enjoy your MDX. I'd say I like it a lot but my wife is driving it all the time :)
  • Options
    ctmdx7ctmdx7 Member Posts: 6
    Hi vinehill,
    Thanks for the detail post. Can you please tell me what dealer you bought. I live in Connecticut and planning to buy MDX.
    Thanks.
  • Options
    thepostmanthepostman Member Posts: 49
    I just leased my MDX with Tech on June 3rd. Will post details later. Color is Grigio with Parchmont interior. Deal was done in Houston Texas. Love the SUV so far, trying to learn all the tech gadgets.
  • Options
    I got quote from two dealers regarding the base Model. One includes free 4 yr/ 48,000 maintenance package, the other one does not have it. The price difference is about $1500.
    Does this package worth that much?

I check edmunds.com for maintenance cost. Here is the number for first 5yrs.
    $343 $552 $533 $2,179 $850
    so the $3607. I guess maintenance for this estimation contains much more than dealer's maintenance package. dealer may just include change oil and oil filter and some checking. It looks like there is a big scheduled maintenance for 4th for MDX. Does anybody have experience for this maintenance package? thanks.
  • Options
    briz2briz2 Member Posts: 42
    I bought @ invoice + ttl on a tech/ent model.

I got kbb excellent number out of my car and confirmed the wholesale price was right.

Happy with the deal.

Worked the deal at my local dealer as hard as I could using local metro quotes and he matched/offered below twice. I was a decent experience for once.

good luck everyone.
  • Options
    cmconnorcmconnor Member Posts: 2
    We still have not made a decision, none of the dealers are offering us a price we want to settle on yet, though, a NH dealer is coming very close.
  • Options
    rocky2010rocky2010 Member Posts: 1
    Folks, this is a great forum. Thanks for sharing your views!

I got my 2010 MDX tech package:from Elk Grove Acura, If you are in Bay area, its certainly worth the 2 hr drive to Sacramento.

Rest of the dealers locally were dragging their feet, and were not that open/to meet my target number.

Also, I was pick on Cherry/Parchment interior

I provided them an target of early 42K's,

Good luck everyone, MDX drives great!

-Rock
  • Options
    adduaddu Member Posts: 16
    Hi,

I bought at Hopkins Acura up in Redwood City. The buying experience was not so great but I kind of expected that knowing I took $1K away from Dealer's profit (last post I saw here someone bought it at invoice ~42.9 at from them). Here is what I did;

1. Started online to narrow down on the search for the right vehicle and shortlisted to MDX and X5

2. Went to dealer for test drive and check out both

3. Settled on MDX since with an X5 there was a ridiculously high premium for the stuff that was relevant to us (~ 12K). Plus they have linked every freaking thing to a computer. If that breaks you can not even engage parking brakes (no offense to X5 fans but thats what we thought)

4. Went into another dealer to finalize color but told him I am not ready yet

5. Started the quote inquiries. Sat on them for a few days until dealers started to followup. Threw my price in there and let them beat each other. Everything on email. Got best price from a dealer at a drive from my place that i preferred not to do. I settled at $200 more than best quote at a local dealer since I did not want to go far and did not have time for anymore search. Bottom line I started at $ 41.5K and purchased at $ 41.9K

6. Went in to sign papers and they had to locate the color. Only surprise was car had 130 more miles than expected when delivered due to a previous dealer trade. Apparently Grigio/ Ebony is hard to come by combo

Car runs great. Still learning the tech gadgets. I do have laser sharp eyes for cosmetic defects and I have already had the floor mats replaced. Now I am going in to get the third row headrest replaced as one's color does not match the rest (whats up with that). Looking at this I am glad I bought local

My two cents, be patient, do the research and have a reasonable target knowing your local market you can get what you need

Have FUn and sorry for the long post
  • Options
    jensadjensad Member Posts: 388
    Nice work addu. I did the same thing ala emails and my local dealer called one week later and asked why I did not buy an RL. I told him that his prices were too high and I will not buy when other Bay Area had already beaten their quote.

He lowered his price and it was $ 500 more than I said I would pay. So he lowered the price $ 1000 and kicked in the "extras" (their money making addons) free.

When I buy a MDX for my wife for our anniversary NEXT year, I will do the same tap dance over again, except this time I will give the local dealer first shot. However, only one shot.

Good luck to all and stay safe.

jensad :)
  • Options
    Jg100, I believe the retail value is $1200 for the 4-yr maintenance (dealer quoted to me). What prices are you seeing for the base model? Which area are you looking in?

Thanks.
  • Options
    bradcabradca Member Posts: 12
    Addu,

In my buying experience, the internet sales guy at Hopkins Acura always quoted a lower price (over email) and since they didn't have much inventory he always claimed they can locate the car for no extra cost. I made an appointment with him but when I went in he wasn't there. Instead, the other sales guy told me they couldn't sell it at that price quoted by the internet sales guy. I wasn't too happy with being given the run around so I crossed Hopkins off the list.
  • Options
    I had an interesting conversation with the Hopkins sales rep - he basically refused to negotiate over the phone because he 'doesn't like to play games' and 'doesn't even know if I will buy from their dealership'. Wanted me to come in person and make an offer so that they know I am serious. I think they are missing the point of an internet sales model.

Also, they don't have the vehicle in inventory, but can get it. Don't think I will be visiting them.
  • Options
    Thanks for everyone's posts on their buying experience, it was definitely helpful to me. And now it's my turn to return the favor ...

Been looking at MDX Tech-Ent since January, and as others have mentioned it pays to do your research, be patient, and hold your ground on what you believe you should be paying.

Bought my MDX at end of May, $44.2 + TTL. Also added a couple accessories at dealer cost, and negotiated another $500 off because another dealer was offering a 4 yr maintenance plan that this dealer wasn't. I valued the maint plan at $500 but its probably worth more than that.

In the end, several things went in my favor:
    - I bought at end of the month. At first the dealer didn't want to meet my deal and I walked out, but called me a few hrs later and said they would do it but the deal had to be by end of the month.
    - I had a hunch this was the same vehicle I saw on the dealer's website a month ago, and looking at the paperwork after purchase it was, even though it was a popular color combination (Polished Metal w/Ebony). That probably worked in my favor if they wanted to get it off their lot.
    - All the research and initial inquiries I did came in handy, as this dealer claimed the accessories went up in price but in the end agreed to match the #'s I got a few weeks earlier.

In the end, although I probably could have gotten a better deal in the Fall, I feel at this time this is the best deal I could get. What's done is done, I'll enjoy my MDX for now! It is a great car, and no regrets!
  • Options
    Planning to settle on a quote (After talking to several dealers etc.) - base MDX for 40,000 + TTL, 4 years of maintenance included, in the bay area. Feels like a decent deal, but not as good as some on this forum. Most dealers seem to be stopping at 40K (39,990) - only one threw in the extra. Any thoughts on how good/ bad the offer is? Should I hold out for more?

Thanks.
  • Options
    Bradca,

Where did you get info on the options (I am guessing you mean floormats, lock nuts etc.)?

Thanks.
  • Options
    panga,

If the edmunds invoice price is correct, you're $3k below invoice and that sounds like you have a great deal. If the dealer has a bunch on their lot then you're more likely you'll get a better deal. Might also want to get an OTD price, to see what doc fees the dealer is charging or hidden fees. You can also try purchasing at end of the month too.

And another thing to think about is accessories: if they're purchased at same time as vehicle then it's covered by the car's warranty, otherwise its only a 1 yr warranty. And as I mentioned in a previous post you should be able to get accessories at dealer cost, installation included.

I think I know which dealer you're talking about, not many in the bay area offer the 4 yr maint plan.

Best of luck!
  • Options
    By options I meant the accessories (running boards, cargo cover, etc).

Floormats and wheel locks were included in my vehicle already, I never asked or thought about asking about them. Guess it was my lucky day ... :)

I assumed these were standard on a luxury vehicle?!
  • Options
    Bradca,

Thanks for the response. This is a base MDX - so invoice + destination is 39586 (38776 + 810). The 4-yr service is what makes it (seemingly) a good deal. Its the dealer you are thinking of :) Any thoughts on the plan? I am unable to get any details on what is covered in the service plan.

How did you know dealer cost on accessories? Acura has 'suggested' prices, but guessing they are not dealer cost. I hope the floor mats etc. are included, I am never sure with car purchases.
  • Options
    Panga,

They actually quoted me $ 44 K initially. But later when they followed up, I told them what the lowest quote I have and that I am going to that dealer and sign the papers. We had three email exchanges and he agreed to $ 41.9K but said I need to be in within 2 hrs. The sales person was a young guy and I could tell he knew little about the MDX but the older 'all in one' General Manager was an experienced and a "true" auto salesman

btw does anyone know how to correct the number of miles on the sales contract to match actual miles at delivery ? As I stated earlier the car had 130 more miles due to previous dealer trade and I totally missed it when leaving the dealership
  • Options
    jungle3jungle3 Member Posts: 5
    Hi,
    Do you mind sharing the dealer name. Is this in the bay area? I am looking for 2010 mdx with tech + ent. And the best deal I have so far is $45k +TTL
    No one so far seems to be willing to beat that price.

thanks
  • Options
    Panga,

Regarding the 4-yr maintenance plan, I did some quick research online and didn't see much maintenance that had to be done in the first 4 years besides oil change and tire rotation, so I didn't put much value into the free maintenance plan. Besides, most cars these days don't need much done in the first 50k miles anyway.

As for accessories, the salesperson at the dealer you mentioned simply said they would sell it to me at their cost, and the dealer I ended up buying from said the same thing so I'm thinking this is standard practice at Acura. You can simply call a dealer and ask how much a particular accessory would cost (including installation) and compare prices.
  • Options
    jungle3,

Los Gatos Acura ...

$45k + TTL is pretty decent ... keep tabs on the local inventory and if you can wait until end of the month it should work in your favor. But then again summer is coming up ...

Best of luck on your purchase!
  • Options
    Thanks Bradca. Its good to know its a decent deal. I'll probably buy it this weekend. can't wait to drive it around :-)
    Any recommendations for what accessories are good to get and how much I should expect to pay for them.
  • Options
    jpickjpick Member Posts: 15
    Is anyone finding any good prices in the Southeast? Who is giving the best price in the GA/FL/SC area? I live in Atlanta but will travel a few hours either way.
  • Options
    rainedonrainedon Member Posts: 6
    Hi all, new to this forum so go easy on me...

I am looking at the 2010 MDX Tech Package and am having a heck of a time getting dealers in the Seattle area to work a deal. The best I have seen is $52,000 + TTL. Tax here is nearly 10% (9.5). Do I just need to wait for the right time or should I be doing something different?

I've researched invoice pricing and these dealers do not want to budge and given the lack of deals, I am thinking of looking outside of WA State or even keeping my current car which I love. I currently drive a 2007 TL..

Thanks in advance...
  • Options
    danabflydanabfly Member Posts: 2
    edited June 2010
    I was just quoted $42,359 plus desintation of $860 for total of $43,219. Have to add TTL to that. Just trying to see if this is a good deal. Haven't asked them to throw in any yet, but will ask for wheel locks & floor mats. Any advice?
  • Options
    amitb1amitb1 Member Posts: 4
    rainedon:

52k sounds ridiculous, the MSRP for 2010 MDX Tech pkg is $45,905 and Invoice is $42,109 without the destination charge, here in the bay area I have gotten quotes for 43K for tech package inluding destination +TTL. You probably want to buy it from Oregon if that is the price you are getting.

It is also good to know that there are some states with higher taxes than bay area, here its 9.25% !

Good luck.
  • Options
    Raindon,

Sticker price for tech pkg is 46,700 (inc dest charges). Invoice is ~ 42,900. I paid $41,900 + ttl three weeks ago. I have heard tax is cal based on your zip where car will be registered. Check on that before you go out of area. 52k quotes are crazy
  • Options
    rainedonrainedon Member Posts: 6
    Well, I got a dealer to go to $43,500 + TTL. Not warm and fuzzy yet. I may play the waiting game to see what happens as we approach the end of month. I am not opposed to going out of the state so we'll see.

Thanks
  • Options
    docoo7docoo7 Member Posts: 1
    I am getting the MDX with Tech 2010 at 42,250, this includes destination, but I have to pay tax. Do you think it's good enough, or should I look around some more.
    I was really hoping to go to 41.5K but this is the best the dealer I was working with Offered to me.
    Please advise.
    Thanks.
  • Options
    OTD: 44,300
    Price: 39.989 (includes destination charge, 4 yrs of free maintenance - priced at $300 if I bought it as an add-on)
    Tax: 3671
    Title, DMV fees etc.: 730

Polished metal with Taupe interior. The car has not yet been delivered to the dealer, but I should be getting it within 4 days.

Bay area dealer. Negotiated entirely via email. Was within ~$200 of the best deal (depends on how you value the maintenance - don't think I could have gotten it at the dealer with the next best deal). Dealer was within 2 mi of home (vs. the other dealer who was ~2.5 hrs away each way) - not worth the drive with a 2-yr old in tow.
  • Options
    Dealer offered me the following today when I signed the contract. (will be taking delivery in 3-4 days) Heavy-handed attempt at upselling that I resisted. Multiple 'let me check with the mgr for more discounts', 'I own an Acura and I have this and love it' etc. I resisted the attempts, but said I would decide when I go back to pick up the MDX.

These are all Autonation offers:

84 mo/ 100,000 extended warranty: $2,188 (listed at $3,522)
    Tire&Wheel (repair or replacement from damage by road hazard): 585 (list: 748)
    Appearance protection plan: 599 (list: 825)

Would appreciate any input on the following (are they useful, is the price right)?

Tire&Wheel and appearance protection seem interesting, but I am wary of all dealer add-ons ...

Thanks.
  • Options
    docoo,

$ 42, 250 is not a bad price. If you got quotes from others dealers as well, you should take that offer to them and ask if they beat it, you will buy from them. If you do not want to wait and feel good with this number then go for it. After all you are over $ 700 under invoice. Even I paid $ 200 over best price because I did not want to buy far from home and I wanted to get over with the search as I did not have anymore time for it
  • Options
    Panga,

This is personal preference and vehicle usage as well. MDX I bought is in my wife's use so max 6000 mile per yr so did not make any sense to go after warranties as I would run out of number of yrs. Also I normally do not buy warranties on Japanese cars and they have not let me down yet. This is my third one

I remember Hopkins guys offering me this warranty for $ 1700 something so this seems pricy to me
  • Options
    jungle3,

Good luck at the dealer this weekend ... stand your ground, don't fall for the upsells, and go over the contract with an eagle-eye for hidden fees.

As for accessories, if you have small children the running boards are very useful (my toddler loves being able to climb in and out by herself). And the cargo cover is definitely a necessity and should be standard but its not. These are the two accessories I got, $784 and $152, respectively, at dealer cost. No extra installation cost. Trailer hitch is useful for a bike rack but dealer was charging $800+ for it. I could find it cheaper somewhere else, and besides won't need it for another yr or two anyway.

BradCA
  • Options
    Panga,

Congrats on your purchase!

I didn't fall for the extended warranty ... I figure its a Japanese car (and for that matter a Honda) and should be very reliable even if there are tons of electronics in the MDX. Besides, before the factory warranty expires I'm pretty sure Honda/Acura will send us info on extended warranties anyway. I'll take my chances on it being cheaper at that time if I decide to get one.

As for the other upsells, they all sound like BS to me. : besides, we live in CA, right?

Was this Autowest Acura? Never heard of Autonation ...

- BradCA
  • Options
    Thanks for the input, I guess the process of picking it up next week should be easy.

It is Autowest - they are part of some dealer network that provides these warranties etc.
  • Options
    ThankYou very much BradCA and everybody else for all the wonderful input. I am heading to the dealer a couple of hours from now.
    Once I am back will post my experience back to the forum.