Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Sienna Owners: Meet the Members

Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
My name is KarenS and I am the host of the Edmunds.com Owners Clubs. Please let me know what discussions you would like to see in your Club folder. I will create them ASAP. You may want to take a look through the other clubs to get ideas for discussions.

Looking forward to meeting everyone!

KarenS
Host
Owners Clubs

Comments

• smfransmfran Member Posts: 432
    I've subscribed to the owners club. Thanks for estblishing it.
  • barbzbarbz Member Posts: 19
    I would like to know when Toyota will have the new part available that makes the engines less likely to have sludge.
  • deepandeepan Member Posts: 342
    I have been visting these forums for over an yr now and find it very informative. Thanks for establishing it. Our sienna has given us great pleasure and hopefully the next generation would address some of the shortcomings.
  • pjksrpjksr Member Posts: 111
    This is a tough color to get in our neck of the woods!

The Sienna is well designed, and easy to work on and maintain. It is very quiet on highways and the seats are comfortable.

Anyone considering a Sienna should not hesitate to buy one. I recommend the LE level of "appointments," which include a tougher seat fabric and power-opening rear privacy glass. We got the powered sliding door which is essential with kids.
  • mhendrixmhendrix Member Posts: 2
    I am thinking about buying a 2002 Sienna XLE. Can someone give me the pros and cons? I've heard about the previous torque converter, brake and sludge problems, but I don't know if they apply to the 2002 model. I would appreciate any comments - pro or con.
  • smfransmfran Member Posts: 432
    We have a 2000 LE and have had no unusual problems. The van overall is just what we wanted and we still love it like we did when it was new. We change the oil every 3,000 miles and have no sludge, brake or torque converter issues.
  • nygregnygreg Member Posts: 1,936
    Great "Car". No sludge after 45K miles, but, I use Mobil 1. No tranny issues. I do have the brake noise that I am not concerned with and will address when I get the chance. Our auto door buzzer failed and was replaced under warranty (no biggie). Some creaking in dash. BTW, I don't want or need a larger vehicle with 500HP. This van is silky smooth, reliable and works great for us.

Greg
  • stanleykostanleyko Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2000 Sienna LE. It has only 64000km on it but I already had the transmission replaced twice this year. Both of them are under warranty but still I cannot believe that happened to Toyota. Other than transmission, 3 out of 6 seatbelts did not retract back to normal position after release.

I do admit it is the best minivan among the other 5 I had before.
  • machiavellimachiavelli Member Posts: 260
    2000 Sienna LE - 41800 miles - no problems at all mechanically. Overall, we have been very pleased with the vehicle. My only "con" - I wish it had the 'magic seat' like the Ody or MPV. The 3rd row seats are heavy to remove and take up space in the garage. Overall, though, I would recommend one, although at this point, unless you are in a rush, I would wait to see the '04 model coming this Spring 2003.
  • SylviaSylvia Member Posts: 1,636
    We are launching a new message board "Future Vehicles" to support our new Future Vehicles section of the site (http://www.edmunds.com/future/)

The message board will house discussions about new model years and new vehicles. For redesigns, we are "sharing" discussions from the general boards where applicable.

Since the Sienna discussion in the Vans board is too general (covers sooo many years and issues) I was hoping that the Owner's Club wouldn't mind lending their expertise and "Future Models" discussion to the Future Vehicles board.

The discussion would still belong to the Owner's Club, but it would be listed in both the Sienna OC and the Futures board and on the 2003 Toyota Sienna vehicle page. http://www.edmunds.com/future/2004/toyota/sienna/4drminivan/preview.html

• kw_carmankw_carman Member Posts: 114
    2000 Sienna LE - troublefree 57,100 miles, but the MINOR electronic gremlins have started in.

Driver's seatbelt warning light flashed with belt on, as of now has stopped working overall.

Cargo area dome light turns on with aliding door, but not with cargo door, wall light won't come on at all. Probably a bad switch.

Other than those (and a keyless entry flaw, I think)...everything is great! Look forward to driving it for years to come!
  • rexallen13rexallen13 Member Posts: 8
    I purchased a rental return 2001 Toyota Sienna CE with 16,000 miles and it is the first foreign vehicle I have ever owned. I was impressed with the build quality and the responsive engine. I am quite satisfied with the van. I now have 27,000 miles on it and have only had one problem and that was squeaky brakes. I took it in and had the rear drums turned (no Charge) and have had no other problems.
    I am from Minneapolis, MN and was so impressed with the dealership (Carlson Toyota) that I purchased a 2002 Toyota Camry LE. I now enjoy going to the dealership and have my oil changed there. They made my buying experience a joy. I have owned cars for 40 some years and must say, GM, Chrysler have never treated me this good. Ford is also very good to deal with.
    Chrysler Sucks. I owned a Chrysler Concorde and it was a piece of crap.
  • ponysmithponysmith Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2001 XLE Sienna. I love my van except I have recurring problems with the power doors. They intermittently stop working. I have taken it to the dealer for all kinds of repairs but nothing does the trick. I am now out of warranty and will be arguing my case. I am looking for any others out there. My repair technician says it is a common problem with the doors. Anyone out there with power door problems?
  • cied2cied2 Member Posts: 3
    Is there test for engine sludge? Are recommended oil changes all one needs to do? Is Mobil 1 preferable over dino oil in avoiding this problem?
    Thanx in advance for any input that my fellow Sienna owners might have on these questions.
  • kkicskkics Member Posts: 1
    I just purchases a 2003 Sienna XLE in Silver for $250 under invoice. This was excluding the $1,500 rebate plus an additional $500 worth of freebies such as all weather mats, a sunroof deflector and other goodies were thrown in. All of this was done on the internet before I ever had to step into the showroom. And the Honda does not offer the stability control! How safe is that? Take that you Honda owners.

Regarding the comparisons to the Honda, I found the Sienna much easier to drive, peppier around town, and much, much cheaper. My Honda dealer offered $500 under invoice (I have owned 3 Accords over the past 10 years.) But a set delivery date was iffy and I really didnt need such a large van. Friends that have the Honda love it, but they do admit that it takes up quite a bit of garage space where the Sienna feels much more car-like than truck-like. They talk about the 3rd seat, but not much else...

My dealer was wonderful, the van is a blast compared to my 1997 Explorer, and my baby loves the smooooth ride and nice stereo. How does everyone else love their Siennas? So far, I am very impressed... :)
  • snowyhahasnowyhaha Member Posts: 3
    Just wonder if you have any discomfort when you make turns. My body lean to the right when I turn right at about 15MPH, same when I turned left.
  • lquinnlquinn Member Posts: 1
  • mdr2005mdr2005 Member Posts: 3
    I am purchcasing a 2005 LE AWD Sienna and have questions regarding DVD installation. Where should I go?
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    I see you found the Sienna accessories & mods topic. You might also want to look thru the Aftermarket & Accessories board. You can find it by using the "browse by message board" tool to your left.
  • jnctechjnctech Member Posts: 2
    I brought a used 2000 Toyota Sienna XLE in April of 2002. And noticed white smoke coming out of the tail pipe when it was first started. The Sales guy said it was probably just oil settling because it had been setting so long. I purchased it anyway because it was a (TOYOTA CERTIFIED VEHICLE). A week later it was in the shop to replace valve seals. Two months later I had a Major Engine overhaul. Six months later their was a oil leak and I still have the stains on my garage floor. Dec. 19, 2004 My engine blew up on my way home to Atlanta from Nashville. The first two fixes were under warranty, but when the engine blew it was not. I have spent over $5,000.00 in repairs Total in two years for a vehicle only four years old. This is the last TOYOTA I will ever own. The dealership has not been any help at all they don't even return your phone call. Team Toyota on Thornton Rd.
  • nickshamsnickshams Member Posts: 4
    I just bought Toyota Sienna 98 , The guy give me the list of dealer operation code and little description what he did last six year , I need more information about operation code like 20TOZZ21 = A.V.R I dont know and dealer also not help me , Could you please help me , I am in Toronto , Or if you know the web let me know.
    avr typically means amps voltage resistance, probably has something to do with the alternator ot battery.
  • artvdelayartvdelay Member Posts: 2
    We are looking at a 98 Sienna to purchase for the family. It looks like two captains seats go in the middle row and the bench seat would go in the back. Can this be reversed? We would like to put the bench seat in the middle row. Or maybe someone has a better solution as our goal is to put a child seat in the second row and in the middle. But with the two chairs the child seat would have to go on one side of the van or the other . Any pointers?
    i dont think the captians chairs are interchangeble with the bench seat and the floor moutings are different. the C.C are at the ends wirh a walkthrough in the middle while the bench is towards the drives end with the walkthrough on the passenger side.
  • artvdelayartvdelay Member Posts: 2
    Great. Thanks for the help.
  • mmurphy3mmurphy3 Member Posts: 1
    WHAT IS THE BEST MILEAGE ANYONE HAS EXPERIENCED WITH A 2000 SIENNA. I HAVE GOTTEN 28 MPG ON OCCASION. IS THIS COMMON?
    WHAT ARE THE IMPLICATIONS OF NOT USING PREMIUM FUEL?
    i would have to say 28MPG is not common. we drive ours pretty much exclusively on the hwy and get just above 25mpg.
    recommended fuel is regular. save the extra bucks!
  • siesie Member Posts: 2
    28 mpg would be great but I believe there may be a slight miscalculation. Our Sienna gets about 24 to 25 mpg. We live on flat land Kansas and our trips routinely average 65 to 75 mph and if weather permitting w/o A/C.
  • 1scratchgolfr1scratchgolfr Member Posts: 1
    The passenger side power door on my 04 sienna recently got stuck in the open position and it won't close. It makes the sounds like it's going to but it just sits there. I don't have a garage and there's rain in the forecast tonight. Anyone else have this problem? Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks.
    You might get a quicker reply by posting your question in Toyota Sienna Owners: Problems & Solutions.
  • drdirtdrdirt Member Posts: 1
    My Sienna just turned 292,000 miles. My problems have been the trunk latch breaking and the tire light on the dash. The light has been on since I bought it. I had the dealer fix it and it soon came back on. I just had it disconnected. I LOVE THIS CAR!!! I have used Mobile 1 in it since I bought it. I have it serviced at the same SpeeDee oil center since day one. The first time I had the timing belt replaced was at 203,000 miles. Not recommended. The dealer was shocked. I just had the A/C compressor and dryer replaced. I plan on keeping it untill I hit 300,000 miles. This is the longest I've ever kept a car.
  • 2highways2highways Member Posts: 1
    Hello,
    my apologies if this is not in the correct area. I am shopping for a minivan. Does anyone know by chance if the "Sienna XLE" with the optional 17" rims are standard tires or "Run-Flat" tires? Thank You.
  • chedderchedder Member Posts: 5
    When I shopped for my Sienna 3 years ago, I understood that the 17" tires on an XLE are standard tires. If you opt for the AWD version of this vehicle, you get the RFT's. I think it's because there is no place to store the spare since the AWD mechanism requires more space under the chassis.
  • fixit70fixit70 Member Posts: 1
    Hi all, Just got my family a 98 sienna and the door open indicator light on the dash would not go off even when doors are shut. Somebody help me.
  • efogmefogm Member Posts: 2
    Hi,

My wife and I are looking at either the Odyssey or the Sienna (Touring Ed versus XLE Limited). The Odyssey's NAV system seems to have alot of useful/slick features, particularly the voice activation, with the ability to search verbally for restaurants by-type, etc. Does anyone know if the Sienna, which I believe has a voice activated as well, also has the search for Places-Of-Interest feature with voice control. Also, does it work for radio selections? The Honda also you, for example, to say, "Radio 100.7," and then it tunes to that station automatically.

Thanks,

Bob G.
  • vinijinvinijin Member Posts: 28
    My Sienna turned 239,000. I changed timing belt at 130,000 and have not changed drive belt so far. What do you suggest - do you think I need to cjange timing and drive belt now ?
  • vulcan4vulcan4 Member Posts: 12
    I bought an 04 sienna XLE AWD. Mine has run flats, no spare. what a hassle, the rule is you hit a nail, you buy a new tire, at $270/ tire plus install, this get pretty expensive. Also I had to replace all 4 tires at 19,000 miles.
  • avila65avila65 Member Posts: 3
    Hi all...My 1996 Previa LE/SC just died with 160,000 miles with head gasket problems. I drove it for 9 years and was ready for a car, so I opted not to fix it. My mechanic told me the supercharged engines don't go 200K miles anyway. Does anybody have any idea what I could sell it for if I sold it for parts?
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Ask over in the Real-World Trade-in Values thread. They may not know, but you'll at least get some suggestions.
    Picked up one of these last week. Seems quiet in these threads but I figured I'd officially introduce myself for those who haven't seen me on the Subaru and Mazda boards. I usually go by just "juice". :shades:

Cheers.

-juice
    Hey juice! I saw your post about the new Sienna last week. I guess the family is outgrowing the Subie?
    Yeah, 2 kids, a nanny, the dog, plus we're car pooling with a family that has 3 kids of their own.

So 5 kids in the vehicle at a time, every other day. It was time. ;)
  • siennamisiennami Member Posts: 116
    Hi,
    My name is Michelle. I just leased an 07 CE after trading in my Kia Sedona. I have previously driven a Sienna, and I really wanted to get back into one. I think they're great vehicles! Not sure at all that I got the best deal, but I am enjoying having a Toyota again. Kinda wished I could've gotten an LE, which is what I had before, but finances dictated otherwise at this time......
    Congrats Michelle.

And no worries about getting a CE, think of it this way - you got 266hp, while owners of 2006 XLE Limited that paid $38 grand only got 215hp.

Nothing wrong with that 3.3l engine, but I'd argue that you got the best value.
  • hansiennahansienna Member Posts: 2,312
    ACTUAL POWER OUTPUT of 2007 3.5L vs 2006 3.3L is NOT as great as the 266 vs 215 comparison implies...even though it is more powerful. :blush:

The torque increased far less from 222 lb-ft @ 3600 rpm to 245 lb-ft @ a higher 4700 rpm and the 07 engine has to rev higher to 6200 rpm to get that maximum 266 HP vs only 5600 rpm for the lesser 215 hp in the 06.

As juice and I have discussed earlier, the 3.5L has MORE power at any rpm than the 3.3L and got the same EPA rating 19/26 but there is no reason for we who own 2006 Siennas to be apologetic or cry ourselves to sleep. :shades:
    You're talking about only 600rpm, and it gets to that high RPM sooner because it has at least 10% more torque across the board.

The 3.5l engine is among the 10 best engines in the world according to Ward's Automotive.
  • grateful5grateful5 Member Posts: 1
    hello, i brought a 2000 t/s van with out the 3rd row seat.my question is, does it comes with 2 seats or one long seat,and do any one have one sale, or know where i can purchase them from ,at a reasonable price?
  • dillydilldillydill Member Posts: 111
    There are two seats. I don't know where to buy them, maybe a junk yard or google.