Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Sienna Care & Maintenance

Comments

• hum3hum3 Member Posts: 19
    Thanks, it just seems that it's hard to pull it down enough to get to the point where it closes. And when opening, even after the lock is opened it seems a little hard to pull it up. The kids are especially having a time with it, but on my caravan they did just fine.
  • ckcarpriceckcarprice Member Posts: 29
    Anyone have experience on Vehicle Service Agreement offered
    by Toyota, called PLATINUM PLAN? I have the link bellow.

http://www.toyotafinancial.com/pyv/extended_service_coverage/n_pricing_sienna.html

Does anyone have price with zero deductible for 7 year plan?
    Dealers are offering when you buy a new vehicle. Plan
    activates after your 3yrs/36k warranty expires. Per dealer there is no paperwork involved.
  • hum3hum3 Member Posts: 19
    Look at SiennaClub forums they have dealers to sell for about $900 or so.
  • cheapskate21cheapskate21 Member Posts: 49
    do you remember which topic in siennaclub?
  • caravan2caravan2 Member Posts: 198
    ODY care and maint. is active. I don't see many problems posted here. Does this means Ody and more problems then Siennas?
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Could be. I wouldn't read too far into that, though.

Mine was delivered with no antennae at all, and a small hole in the passenger side sun visor.

No major problems, though, plus those were fixed.
    I also noted that Sienna has 55 members and Ody has 140+ members.
  • hayneldanhayneldan Member Posts: 657
    I have tried removing the two bolts that hold the lens and am afraid that I will break the outside taillight lens on my Daughter in laws 01 Sienna. The tailight is burned out. I even went to the Toyota dealers to find out how to change this bulb. They were no help. Does anyone know how to remove this outside ( not in the tailgate) lens? The owners manual is missing so don't tell me to look there.
  • hayneldanhayneldan Member Posts: 657
    This is a really great forum. I posted a request for information eight days ago and have yet to get an answer.
    Sarcasm isn't going to help.

You gotta remember what these are - minivans. You're not getting the typical Fix-it-yourself owners that change their own burned out light bulbs. I bet 95% of Sienna owners go to a dealer to do that.

Not to mention it's not like a lot of bulbs have burned out given this model has only been out since 2004 (about 3-4 years). Most bulbs last much longer, more like 10 years. So we haven't even reached a point where many owners have had bulbs burn out.

I changed the bulbs on my Forester (after 9 years) and on my sister's Forester (5 years for hers, short lifespan). Mine were accessible from an access panel inside the car.

Hers puzzled me. You had to remove the whole assembly, just like you mention above. I recall removing 2 screws, then tilting it and pulling it out, basically. I was gentle so I didn't break anything. It felt like there were more screws holding it in place, but it was just 2 rubber plugs that sort of held it in place, and those 2 screws.

I bet your Sienna is like that.

If you figure it out, please share and take pics to help others. That's the whole idea - we all contribute, so it benefits the next person that runs across that problem.

In other words, if you want a great forum, contribute your knowledge. I'm totally serious.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Juice makes a great point - these forums are cooperative efforts and they depend on everyone's input. I hope you will let us know how you make out.
  • dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    First off - buy a manual. They are important. Better yet buy a service manual if you want to do your own maintenance.

Secondly - how is it possible that a Toyota dealer does not know how to change a light bulb? Try a different dealer.

On the 06 you undo 2 bolts and pull the cover off.

Go to one of the car parts places that installs bulbs for free - I think Pep Boys etc.

Lots of options - driving 8 days without a tailight should not be one of them.
  • gamma_raygamma_ray Member Posts: 3
    Hello,

Where do you find a manual? I have searched everywhere (on the internet) and can find only the older model (2002 and earlier) models.

Thanks.
    Sounds like the beginning of a "how many Toyota dealers does it take to screw in a light bulb" joke. :D
  • ramen20ramen20 Member Posts: 1
    If I want to remove the engine immobilizer flashing light, how to turns it off?
  • dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    The Toyota dealer will have the manual.
  • kt22kt22 Member Posts: 1
    Warning to all, do not let your children get near the rear liftgate, I too own a 2005 Sienna LE with 46,000 miles on it and the liftgate struts failed causing the liftgate to fall striking my wife in the head. At this point the dealer does'nt really care and will replace the struts at $172.00 a strut. Fourtunently our injuries were minor and we now use a 2x4 to hold the door open till this problem is rectified.
  • gamma_raygamma_ray Member Posts: 3
    I replaced my timing belt and both drive belts on my 2004 Sienna last week. It only took a few hours.

Last year I did the plugs myself as well. this operation took longer, as the rear ones necessitated removing the intake manifold and all associated wiring and vacuum hoses.

These maintenance procedures are not beyond anyone with a little mechanical ability and saves $$$$$ by not taking it to the dealer to have done.

A repair manual is a must though and can be downloaded from techinfo.toyota.com if you purchase a one day pass for $10.00. Be prepared to spend hours at the PC downloading the manual as it is literally in pieces.

Gamma
  • siennamisiennami Member Posts: 116
    I wanted to change when the doors locked and unlocked on my 07 Sienna. I read the directions, tried several times, then took it back to the dealership(unrelated door rattle). Lo and behold, the service tech couldn't get them to change, either. Apparently, that option is not available on the CE. However, I have noticed that ever since then, after I've parked, of course the doors unlock(which makes me feel totally unsafe). Then when I open the driver's door, they unlock again. Has anyone else with a CE noticed this problem? I am certain that they weren't doing that before. I'm debating whether I should take it back once again......
  • bostonoriolebostonoriole Member Posts: 53
    I can't find in the Toyota Scheduled Maintenance Guide when the transmission fluid should be changed.

For "special operating conditions" it says to change at 30M miles or 24 months.

Do they mean to say that the fluid doesn't mean to be changed, or is it just an oversight?
  • siennamisiennami Member Posts: 116
    Here's an update: I took my CE back to the dealership because I thought I heard a door rattle. I asked them to change the locking system while I was there. Well, they didn't find the door rattle, of course. Can't really blame them for that, I found the source last week... my child's carseat! But, oh, that locking system. The service guy said that they couldn't do it because my vehicle is a CE, and that's not an option on this vehicle. Well, after some advice from another board that I belong to, I got a friend of mine to read the car manual and try it. Guess what? It worked like a charm! But I do wonder what that says about a Toyota certified (I guess) technician....... :confuse:
    Does dropping the transmission pan allow you to get any more fluid out during a change?

The dealer was telling me that they have a machind to replace all the transmission fluid during maintenance. IS that correct?
    What is the proper interval for oil change? Sienna maintenance schedule states, 5K and the dealer says it should be changed every 3K.
    5000 miles.

The dealer wants to make more money from unnecessary service.

Your Sienna actually has an engine oil light that will come on at 5000 miles to remind you.
  • cptpltcptplt Member Posts: 1,075
    dropping the pan will get more out, "flushing" with a special machine gets even more out.
    thanks cptplt!

Will a dealer do either the pan drop or the flush for a customer? What's the price difference? Which technique has more value?

What do the Sienna posters on the board think about this?
    Go with the flush, they use a Hunter machine that forces new fluid in while old fluid is vacuumed out. It really gets a lot more fluid out vs. a simple drain and fill.
    The post below advises against a transmission flush. Does that have any validity?

#33 of 284 Valve Clearances by 18466 Jan 03, 2003

Bookmark | Reply
    "... As far as changing the tranny fluid I open the drain plug (10mm Allen) and drain and add new fluid every 15000 miles. It's probably overkill but it only takes about 2 1/2 quarts to do this (Dextron III). You can't dump the fluid in the converter so I do this just to keep it fresh. I don't like tranny flushes because if there is some dirt you dont want to lodge it into somewhere where it could cause problems. "
    I don't see why the dirt wouldn't just come out with the old fluid?

Who says that dirt will come out with a simple gravity-fed draining, anyway?
    thanks ateixera!
    What are the advantages to sealed vs unsealed batteries?

The battery on my Sienna is 6 years old, so I am thinking about getting a new one for the winter.
    With unsealed you can add distilled water to top off the level of each of the cells. Sealed you can't.

Supposedly sealed batteries have enough water to last the life of the battery, but I don't really see any advantage besides maybe being able to mount it in strange positions for off road applications.
  • cptpltcptplt Member Posts: 1,075
    There doesn't seem to be anything in the manual (have an 06) about change interval for PCV, fuel filter. or even about brake fluid. What do people think?
    I'd always been told change brake fluid every 2 years as it can absorb moisture.
    I don't think their brakes are special so I'm sure they'll need periodic bleeding.
    thanks ateixera.

I found this on the web. http://www.repairfaq.org/ELE/F_Car_Battery.html

The two most common types of CAR batteries are low maintenance (non-sealed) and maintenance free (non-sealed or sealed). [The low maintenance batteries have a lead-antimony/calcium (dual alloy or hybrid) plate formulation; whereas, the maintenance free batteries have a lead-calcium/calcium formulation.] The advantages of maintenance free batteries are less preventative maintenance, longer life, faster recharging, greater overcharge resistance, reduced terminal corrosion and longer shelf life, but are more prone to deep discharge (dead battery) failures due to increased shedding of active plate material. In hot climates, buying non-sealed batteries is recommended because a sealed battery will NOT allow you to add water when required or to test the specific gravity with an external hydrometer.
  • confused13confused13 Member Posts: 17
    I have a 2004 Sienna. In-dash CD changer does not function. Could be jammed? Cannot load or eject any CD's. Dealer says cannot be fixed and wants $350 for the part plus install labor! Has anybody else experienced this? Is there a cheaper fix?
    You could find one from a junk yard, and yank the stereo out of that.

Just yesterday someone posted a link to a junk yard that had a 2004 Sienna, I didn't bookmark it, though.

It's a standard double DIN opening, though, so you have thousands of aftermarket options that may cost less or give you a nice upgrade in features.

Consider getting a GPS. I think Panasonic sells one that lists for $999 that is double DIN sized.
  • sienna_2002sienna_2002 Member Posts: 1
    Once my wife's Camery CD player was jammed. I just tried to force another CD into the same feeding slot. I did not force it very hard, and certainly the other CD did not get in a bit at all. But when I pushed the eject button afterwards, the jammed CD came out. Good luck to you.
    Does anyone knows what is expected mileage of the Goodyear factory installed tires on LE package 3?

I'm trying to calculate if it worth buying walmart tire-rotation and balance package for about $9 per tire.

Thanks,
    Check the sidewall, where you can find the uniform tire grade ratings. It's usually looks something like this:

240 AA A

The first number is the tread wear. Higher is better. 140 is the lowest I've seen, 460 is the highest.

FWIW, the AA is the traction rating for wet braking. The last figure, A, is for heat resistance.
    Thanks,

But how do I figure out how many mile should it last?
  • bearcrkrdbearcrkrd Member Posts: 167
    Find the Brand name of the tire. Google it. Go to that Tire Manufacturers website. Sellers of that tire should have this too. When you look at the particulars for the exact tire you have (or want), it will give a Miles figure. Mileage rating, or maybe even mileage warranty. Cheap tires are 40,000. The best are 80-90,000. I think they even have 100,000 mile tires now. Unless you are a little old lady, figure maybe 70% of the mileage figure before you need new tires. I actually figure less for my vehicles.
    From what I've read and heard, the tires and front brakes on the 2004+ Siennas last about 30-40,000 miles.
    I was at a Toyota dealer parts dept on Tuesday. I had to wait a minute, because they were on the phone. They said to whoever was on the other end of the line, "Sienna and Sequoia front brakes last 30,000 or slightly more". Honest!
    My '06 Sienna CE as 19,000 miles, and the brakes are like new. Tires are not like new, but close. They have been rotated three times already, but not in the last 7,000 or so. Siennas are very heavy in the nose, and it grinds the tires when you go around corners. It plows a bit. NASCAR calls it 'tight' :D
    While higher miles are better for durability, I'd be careful about calling 40,000 mile tires cheap.

They're usually softer compounds designed for more grip, mostly in sports car applications. They actually cost more, a trade-off sports car owners are willing to make.

Very high-mile tires are usually of a very hard compound, and may not grip very well. Generally you want a well balanced tire, somewhere in the middle, with both decent life and grip.
    Thanks...

Actually, what I was looking for what mileage should I expect Toyota puts on LEs?
    I checked the 07 brochure and it doesn't say. It only has the tire sizes.

You can read that info on the sidewalls, though. My van is at home - I commute in a Miata.
  • bearcrkrdbearcrkrd Member Posts: 167
    For a Sienna, Tacoma, and Camry, the are a very poor choice. That's as far as my experience goes. Appreciate the (any!!) response, though.
  • howardcchowardcc Member Posts: 1
    Lorne,
    What happenned with your liftgate sturts. I had one pair replaced at about 30,000 km and now that pair is faling at arond 120,000 and I don't want to pay the ridiculous cost from Toyota plus I understand this is being investigated by NHTSA.
    Let me know
    Thanks
    Howard
  • mpokeompokeo Member Posts: 8
    The scanner says manufactured control fuel mixture setting 1135 is their a bad sensor thats causing this fault?
  • mpokeompokeo Member Posts: 8
    one of the plugs could be bad and your getting missfire
  • lweekslweeks Member Posts: 12
    check out the union in exhaust
    system ,has a junction( notice the springs that give that union flexability) have someone rock van i,m sure you will hear the noise lloyd