Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Sienna Care & Maintenance

Comments

• lxpatellxpatel Member Posts: 34
    If you have Turanza EL42, according tirerack reviews and a friend who has sienna, it would get about 35-40k on them.
  • vinijinvinijin Member Posts: 28
    I got 98 Sienna LE with 257,000 miles. I got new timming belt, drive belt, water pump, spark plugs, struts and shock absorbers. What else I need to replace or repair?
    I am thinking to replace this Sienna with new Sienna for the last 2 years, but it just keep going and going. I am also little afraid because I commute 70 miles on each working day. I will appreciate any suggestion.
    Thanks
  • maxwell10maxwell10 Member Posts: 29
    mileage is great, the Sienna is a great van.

only things I can think of that you did not mention is repacking the rear wheel bearings. Also you did not mention transmission filter/oil change or flush. Do not know which is best.
    I have 90K on our 2002 Sienna van, it has been a great van, only problem has been noisy rear brakes.
    I understand if you complained enough, they would have replaced the rear brake drums with a heavier drum that solves the problem.

I would buy another one!!!!
    Yes, I am flushing transmission oil every 30K miles. I rplaced front passenger oil bearings at 240K. I think I do need rear wheel bearings because sometimes I hear a click sound when I turn left at the rear passemger side wheel.

Yes, I also have rear brake sound problem. Do you think they have resolved this issue with new model Sienna.
    yes they have solved the rear brake noise problem. Per my service manager they maded a replacement heavier rear brake drums for the older vans. Cost is $211 + $75 install. On the new vans they placed disc brakes on the rear, solved the problem.

My wife wants me to get the replacement brake drums if we decide to keep the van.

What do you mean? I rplaced front passenger oil bearings at 240K.
    Actually, I replaced the whole ball bearing hub at 240,000 on front passenger side. I took my van to mechanic to see if I need rear oil bearings. He thinks I don't need right now. I think it is too late for me to replace rear brakes at 259,000 miles.
    I purchased the new and improved rear brake drums for my 2002 van. It did stop the rear brake noise, but it sure took away a bunch of atti-boys from my toyota van experience. This is the only problem we have had with the van and she wanted it fixed one way or other.
    new drums were $300 installed.

In manual, it never saids when to change trans oil for std. use. For heavy service towing etc: change every 30K. I changed my at 60K and plan on changing again at 120K.
    Hope this takes care of trans.
  • bigguyjones200bigguyjones200 Member Posts: 2
    Who is offering the best price on extended warranties for the Sienna XLE AWD?

I am getting letters/postcards in the mail and calls from multiple organizations offering extended warranties. Has anyone bought one before from United Warranty Wholesalers or Warranty Activation Headquaters?

I have read that Warranty Direct also offers them?

Lastly, can any dealer sell it - even if you didnt buy the car from them? Which dealer do you reccomend?

Thanks in advance.
  • pgrunnerpgrunner Member Posts: 25
    I'm wondering if a new Sienna still require a break in period. If so, what are the restrictions (1st 1000 miles)? And for daily use, does the car require warming up before going out? I remember my mechanic saying nowadays, new cars don't need this. Is this true of the Sienna?
  • cynewulfcynewulf Member Posts: 1
    Where do you check the brake fluid level on a 2000 Sienna XLE? I found Power Steering, ATF fluid, etc, but could not find anyplace to check the brake fluid level.

Thanks!
  • freebirdfreebird Member Posts: 77
    brake fluid is in the upper right portion under the hood - under a black cap - remove cap and you will see the fluid reservoir
    2002 Sienna van has 90k, when should power steering fluid be changed?

can I just suck out old fluid and replace.

Wonder how dealership does this, possible unhook a pump line and pump the old fluid out?

Sincerely,
  • neeedvanneeedvan Member Posts: 17
    I've 2006 Sienna LE with 25k miles.

During this winter especially when the temp is < 40F the steering gets very hard until the car warms up for 2-3 minutes. It's harder than the manual steering and very noticeable when I try to take out the car from parallel parker i.e. when I try to steer from extreme right to left and shift from reverse to forward.

Dealer says this is normal for Sienna and recommended warming the van for 2-3 minutes before driving but I didn't notice this problem during last winter.

Also, I used to get the airbag sign turn on after leaving the van out in the sun during summer but it went off after 3-4 months automatically.
    Any suggestion?

TIA
  • mnrep2mnrep2 Member Posts: 200
    My 06 LE does the same thing. Fluid level is good, so I assume this is normal. As soon as the van warms up it is normal. No worries :shades:
  • jjoseph2jjoseph2 Member Posts: 18
    I am looking for the third coolent Drain plug. If any one know ,where it located please post a message.
    Thank you
  • 69flh69flh Member Posts: 10
    I am nearing the 90,000 mile recommended mileage for the timing belt change on my 2002 Sienna. I've heard that if the belt would break on some engines, the engine would be destroyed and I've heard that other engines the only thing would happen would be the engine would quit running. What is the worse case scenario on a Sienna?
  • widriver2widriver2 Member Posts: 36
    Hi,

I am bringing my 2005 Sienna mini-van in for 30,000 mile service. I'm noticing the dealer schedule includes many things the manufacturer schedule does not. I know I've read this is a big scam that dealerships do to make extra money.

Here are some of the items:

Automatic Transmission Flush and Fill. The manual just says check this fluid.
    Differential Service-manual says for 4WD and manual trransmissions
    Brake Fluid Change-manual says INSPECT brake lines and hoses

How often do these fluids really need to be replaced if the manual just says to inspect them. This will add $300 to the service.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Well, if you have a FWD van then cross off # 2 completely, there would be no rear diffy to service in the first place. AWD vans would indeed have a seperate fluid change for the rear diff, but not FWD.

30k is a bit early, I think you can easily go to 60k and still be covered by your warranty.
  • hansiennahansienna Member Posts: 2,312
    ALL dealers of all makes suggest more service than is contained in the Owner's Manual. I have followed the Owner's Manual with 2 big exceptions: I have the oil and oil filter changed more frequently and the tires rotated LESS frequently.

BTW, I had the tires rotated the first time on my 2006 Sienna yesterday at 19,851 miles. Based on wear measurements, 40,000 miles is the expected maximum on the OEM tires compared to 55,000 miles on the 2002 Chrysler T&C OEM tires.

I am 100 % satisfied with my Toyota dealer service department. Quick, reliable, NO-pressure service.
  • pjksrpjksr Member Posts: 111
    My 2002 Sienna has 118,000 miles. I've not yet replaced the timing belt, but have looked at it, for what that's worth, and it looks nice. I'd researched replacement a while back, and found that several Toyota "techs" had never seen a broken belt, and thought 90k was a very conservative replacement period. Again, for what that's worth...

I did need to replace my power steering and generator belts, though, after experiencing noise from my generator. New belts, no noises. Easy to do yourself.
  • widriver2widriver2 Member Posts: 36
    What makes it more difficult is the manual says check fluids instead of when to replace them.

Also, I do not think the manual says anything about how often to do an alignement. It seems the dealers regularly suggest an alignment.
  • bostonoriolebostonoriole Member Posts: 53
    How often does the coolant on a 2002 Sienna have to be changed?

Is the $100+ dealer coolant change worth it?

Or is it just as good to empty the radiator and refill every year?

Thanks!
  • bearcrkrdbearcrkrd Member Posts: 167
    "Toyota Red" coolant is a 90,000 - 100,000 mile coolant. Some shops have a machine that pumps out the old, but many just drain and fill. A local Toyota dealership told me recently, concerning a 2001 Carmry 4 cyl, they just drain and fill. Just under 2 gallons comes out. They add a gallon of Toyota Red coolant, and the rest water. The Pump is something like $125 - 150 +, drain and fill should be $69.95 or thereabouts. If you don't mind the extra $, 60,000 miles drain and fill should do the trick. I had a 2001 Tacoma 4cyl which I did myself at 60,000. Drained, filled with water and drove around for a few minutes. Repeated twice more. It was very thorough for a backyard job. I still have one gallon left. You want to mix 50/50, and after all that I didn't have to add a full 2 gallons. I believe the Sienna will hold more. That Camry has 108,000 miles and will have the drain and fill done at the next oil change/tire rotation. Did not want to wait this long, but it's not mine anymore and could not get it done sooner.
  • cptpltcptplt Member Posts: 1,075
    brake fluid is hygroscopic and will absorb water, some european manufacturers say to change it every 2 years no matter what.

I don't know about the Toyota longlife coolant but the GM ones were giving people lots of problems and it was advisable to change it before the recommended 90K. I just did mine at 45K.
  • bobintampabobintampa Member Posts: 10
    Anyone ever replace just the center armrest covers for the two front seats in a 1999 Sienna? Just called a local dealer and the fellow said it looks like you have to purchase the whole armrest - which didn't make a lot of sense to me. Thanks in advance for your help! :)
    I'd call a local upholstery shop. I bet they can very nearly match it.

Look under Autos - Upholstery in your yellow pages.
  • hogsettmhogsettm Member Posts: 2
    What shocks did you get and how do you like them. I was thinking about getting KYB GR-2 gas shocks from tirerack.com for $22 each but don't know anything about them or if they need to be a certian size or length. Appreciate it.
  • pgrunnerpgrunner Member Posts: 25
    I have a 2008 Sienna bought in Dec '07. It's got about 6K miles on it. I need to get the wheels re-aligned. Someone told me since this should be covered under warranty since the car is still under 12K. Is this true?
    It should be under the first year "adjustment" period, so I would think so...
  • robj1robj1 Member Posts: 10
    I need to replace the brake light bulb for my 2005 Sienna, I undid the two bolts, but the light assmbly still does not want pull off easily. I am afraid to really tug it and break something, am I missing a step here, some unknown screw somewhere or extra step? I miss the old cars, where you just pulled back the carpet or cover and replaced it w/out taking any screws out. Thanks
  • abhaytabhayt Member Posts: 13
    This morning the Michellin tire on my Sienna burst :mad: on the highway, I have about 22,000 miles on it. Will the warranty cover the rire ?
  • terry2002terry2002 Member Posts: 1
    Is the 60K recommended service worth it for my 2002 Sienna (now at 66K miles) ? Dealer fee is $400, includes repl. engine air filter, rotate tires maybe spark plugs (tho the guy said I had platinum and didn't need replacement), replace PCV valve and replace coolant. Plus "inspections" of 14 other things. But I managed to dig out the service book from pvs owner. He had 45k service where they also replaced the coolant and air filter. I am ok with a new air filter now, but some of the car sites say coolant is only every 30,000 miles, which means I have a ways to go if that's true.
    Four hundred smacks seems like a lot.
    MPG: This car gets 15 mpg city. Spozed to be 19 according to specs. My 99 Sienna would get me from Indy to South Haven on one tank of gas. Ideas?
  • jprocjproc Member Posts: 135
    I have a 2000 XLE coming up on the 120k marker.I had the spark plugs replaced with platinum plugs at 60k. Do they last longer than the recommended 60k change?
  • nybuyernybuyer Member Posts: 9
    I'm picking up my brand new '08 Sienna this week. :) I was wondering what other owners would recommend as add-ons after buying the vehicle... things that add to the comfort of the van or maintain it in optimal condition.

For example, carpet floor mats were included in my purchase, but I heard WeatherTech all-weather mats are great. Should I spend about $150 on these mats to keep the van cleaner year round? I do have 3 young boys. But, I'm not sure if these high-end mats are worth it.

And, what about a cargo liner, side window deflectors, sunroof deflector, etc? Do you feel it's worth it to get these things? Anything else? Do you recommend any specific brands or stores to get the products?

Thanks for any input.
    You could inspect them and re-gap them at 60k again, but plugs are so cheap it's not worth it. Plus you want receipts to prove you did the work for the next buyer.
    my mechanic at the 60k service charged me 26 a piece for 6 platinum plugs total of $ 156 then he charged me 163.20 for labor so 4 + years ago I paid $ 319.20 to replace my plugs.Daresay was my trusted mechanic taking me to the cleaners here?
    That seems a bit excessive. I get Bosch platinums for under $4 a pop.

Where they Iridium or some premium brand or something?
    thx for the info.I'll be a lot more careful about getting estimates for this before I get the plugs changed
  • jyoung77jyoung77 Member Posts: 13
    Hi,

I have a 2000 Sienna. My dealer told me that Toyota doesn't recommend transmission flush. He also said I don't need to change transmission oil filter. What I need is simply to drain the old oil and then refill. Is it true? If so, is it difficult to change the oil by myself? Your help is much appreciated.

JD
  • Malta1Malta1 Member Posts: 3
    How do I change the back 3 sparks plugs [by firewall] on the 2004 Toyota Sienna ?

Thank you
  • Malta1Malta1 Member Posts: 3
    Is the TIMMING BELT in the Toyota a chaine or a rubber belt, Also when does it needs to be changed

:) Regards
    Charlie
    Belt up until model year 2006.

Chain from 2007 onward.

Not sure of the interval because I have an 07 with a chain.
  • neeedvanneeedvan Member Posts: 17
    My 06 Sienna LE has a peculiar driver side wiper problem. Somehow the driver side arm stopped rotating while passenger side arm continuing it's normal course and then moving over the stopped driver side arm and get stuck. I did untangle them and found that the nut securing the driver side arm was loose. I tighten it up as much as I could but again after about 100 miles of driving under rain the problem recurred. Again I tightened the nut and after 100 miles it was loose. Any one know what needs to be done? TIA.
  • avery1avery1 Member Posts: 373
    Can't speak to this particular wiper problem but if the problem can be solved with keeping the nut tight then just get some of the liquid that does this at the hardware store. I've forgotten the name. Just be sure to get light or medium strength. They have different products and some would make it damn near impossible to loosen.
    Loc-tite.

I recommend that, too.
  • jjoseph2jjoseph2 Member Posts: 18
    I just replaced spark plugs on my 2002 sienna.Three plugs in the back are little difficult.when you stand infront of the vachile look on the rear right side of the engine, there is a little space that you could put your hand and feel the coils.
    use a 10 mm socket to remove the coil.be careful not to loose the rubber gromet.Before you loosen the coil remove the wire harnes.There is alittle clip on the wire harnes.you need to press on the clip while pulling to unlock it. once you remove the coil and stem use a spark plug socket by inserting the socket and extention first then the rachet.
    You could do two plugs from the right side, the third one you need to access from the left.There is a little hose on top of the left side plug, you could pull it up and move to the side.Same with the ground wire behind. let me know how you make it.
  • SeaTacManSeaTacMan Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2002 Sienna LE with 72,000 miles on it. I bough it used with 56,000 miles.

The vehicle runs good but, I was thinking about getting a Transmission Fluid change and Timing belt work done. The quotes here run at $650+Tax for Timing belt and $80+Tax for Transmission fluid change. Transmission fluid flush costs $165+Tax.

I see than some of you have mentioned Timing Belt can wait until 90,000 Miles. What do you say about 2002 model. Its 7 years old. And also can you advice if Transmission fluid drain and fill is sufficient or should I get a Transmission flush done.

I don't have much knowledge on these. Any advices welcome.

TIA
    What does the owner's manual say?

Also, what does it say about age? The van is 7 years old. So if they say 7 years or 90k miles, you're still due.
    I have an 00 and did the timing belt about 2.5 years ago at 90k.I think I paid about $300 for it though.There is a place here on edmunds about maintenance which will give you an idea what it should cost
  • SeaTacManSeaTacMan Member Posts: 3
    The repair shops say - that the water pump needs to be replaced when they do the timing belt. They say, if the water pump breaks down later, it would be a pain as they have to redo a lot and labor costs would be high. Any ideas?