Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Sienna Care & Maintenance

Comments

• jprocjproc Member Posts: 135
    Like I said mine was done 2+ years ago and they did the water pump as well.My memory still says about 300.I checked the edmunds maintenance site and they said it should cost you about $220 to have the timing belt changed.I really don't know what a water pump goes for.
    Mine was done at a Toyota dealership which was running a special at the time-still I think 600 sounds way too much.Try Pep boys see what they would charge you for a water pump
  • MaryTNMaryTN Member Posts: 2
    My 2005 Sienna has a burnt-out bulb almost monthly! It's usually a different one but we've had some repeats. Has anyone else had frequent taillight, brakelight, and headlight outages? :(
  • jjoseph2jjoseph2 Member Posts: 18
    I have a 2002 model with 100,000 Miles. When I come to a stop a strange noise from under the van. Any idea what this could be? .
  • obidanobidan Member Posts: 1
    2000 Sienna: This is a recent problem: The parking/tail lights do NOT come on when turned on with the switch - only the headlights come on. When the brakes are applied, ALL of the lights (including the front parking lights) come on. I have checked all of the fuses - Although I didn't expect to find anything since they all work at some point. Any clues? Thanks.
  • jjoseph2jjoseph2 Member Posts: 18
    On a 2002 Sienna , where is the PCV valve located and how hard is to replace it?
  • SeaTacManSeaTacMan Member Posts: 3
    Thanks guys. I will check with the auto shops and ask them to just do the timing belt and leave the water pump out for now.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    One tip I'd say it to replace them in pairs.

Usually the 2nd one fails right after the first.

So if a tail light burns out, replace the other side at the same time, else you'll be doing it again a week later.
  • cptpltcptplt Member Posts: 1,075
    I have an 06 LE with 64K miles, everytime I bring it to the dealer and ask if these need replacing he says no. They did "clean" the PCV once. Every other car I have ever owned has had it replaced before 60K. When is the PCV and fuel filter due to be replaced on this thing?? Is it a major hassle to replace the fuel filter so they don't want to do it as a preventive maintenance issue?
  • crestonavecrestonave Member Posts: 209
    Here's a word to the wise, or at least I hope it is:

We purchased a 2007 Sienna new in April of 2007. We purchased the prepaid maintenance from the Toyota dealer when we bought the car. It covers scheduled maintenance for the first three years.

We just took the Sienna in for scheduled 15,000 mi. maintenance. This is our fifth visit since we've owned the car. Every time we've been in, without fail, the dealer has tried to get us to agree to pay for items that they "recommend". Today's nut would have been $329 if we had agreed to it. It included draining and refilling the transmission fluid, among other things. The only "extra" I've agreed to, in a moment of weakness, was a new cabin air filter, and I probably didn't even need that.

There isn't a manufacturer in the world, unless you're plowing snow or pulling stumps, that requires a transmission service such as this at 15,000 mi. After a brief and polite discussion we finally were able to make it clear to the service adviser that the only work we wanted them to perform was that which was covered under the prepaid plan. This includes any maintenance required by in the Toyota warranty book, including oil change and tire rotation.

I guess they're just doing their job trying to make a few extra bucks, but it's darn annoying to have to have this discussion every time we go to the dealership. Bottom line: beware of dealer service extras. Don't agree to them unless you think you really need them.
  • mweinstemweinste Member Posts: 3
    I have the exact same problem. How did you fix it?
  • steelerx6steelerx6 Member Posts: 1
    I have a '04 with 112K miles; my local repair shop is recommending along with the timing belt replacement to also have the water pump done. They are quoting around $600 for both; should I have the water pump replaced or can I just stick with the timing belt? THX...
  • jprocjproc Member Posts: 135
    I paid $ 200 to have the timing belt done on my 2000 XLE-3ish years ago.Work was done at a Toyota dealership.I don't know why the newer model would be so much more expensive
  • jcz65jcz65 Member Posts: 2
    Just had water pump and timing chain done; cost me about 650.00. I semi trust the shop that did it. The labor is the problem with this as they have to take off so much just to access the water pump.
  • mrg10mrg10 Member Posts: 1
    I have this as well, Also, every now and then it just won't start. Leave it alone for a day or two and it starts just fine. Dealer was no help. Hours of googling seem to suggest the solution is carb cleaner in the Idle AIr Control Valve, or as a last resort replacing the valve. Has anyone tried this, and did it work?
  • mweinstemweinste Member Posts: 3
    Cleaning the IAC valve took care of the problem. I found the fix on Edmunds and faxed it to the repair house.
  • eta_itaeta_ita Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 Sienna with 99000 KM (60,000 miles?) and I just visited the local Toyota dealer in Cancun, Mexico. I asked about the typical or recommended interval between water pump changes. (All my experience is with belt driven water pumps.) The response I got took me by surprise. The service representative stated the water pump fitted on my model of Sienna is electric and essentially they replace it only after it has failed. I immediately questioned this so he pulled out a diagram of the 3.3 liter V6 and sure enough it showed an electric water pump. Did the pump change to an electric type after 2004?
  • jmbuddiesjmbuddies Member Posts: 6
    Yes you should have that done as soon as possible, if you haven't done at all since you own the vehicle. Typically because of the labor involved, the water pump is right there when they service the timmimg belt, so you can "kill 2 birds with one stone" so to speak. My recomendation is to use a mechanic that you trust rather than the dealer (for they are much pricier than other mechanics- unless offcourse you still have warranty on the vehicle.

It's better to be safe than sorry, the brakeage of the timmimg belt will ruin your engine. Trust me I fell in the same thinking with a nissan that I owned, but this time they were right. I didn't replace it, when it broke, it ruined the valves permanently. (a very expensive job) I ended up getting rid of the car :cry::cry:
  • laman400laman400 Member Posts: 1
    If the timing belt fails on a 2001 Sienna XLE at highway speed of approximately 70mph, will it harm the engine components such as valves, etc, or will the vehicle simply lose power and come to a controlled stop? I have heard that the 2001 Sienna has the type of engine that will survive a timing belt failure without causing any other engine damage. Is this correct?
    Also, I have just turned 100,000 miles on my 2001 Sienna. I know the maintenance manual calls for timing belt replacement at 90,000 miles. My local Toyota dealer is telling me that the timing belt on my 2001 Sienna should last for 300,000 to 400,000 miles or at least 15 years. My van is running perfectly right now. Should I believe what the dealer is telling me, or should I have the timing belt and water pump replaced now at 100,000 miles?
    Thanks for any help.
  • azdinoazdino Member Posts: 9
    Get the belt and pump replaced according to the schedule - which it appears you have already passed the 90k point. An engine always "is running perfectly" when the belt breaks. Belts and pumps are cheap compared to an engine replacement of 5-7 thousand $.

By the way neither of these parts lasts to 300,000 miles.

AZdino ---
  • thksnowthksnow Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 XLE FWD, and I just replaced the battery. From everything I could determine online, 24F is the correct size. Based on good reviews in Consumer Reports, I bought the EverStart Maxx 24N at Wal-mart. Only after I got it home and started installing it did I realize that it's about half and inch smaller in depth (front to back), and thus the top bracket is way to big. I used some wood pieces to make the bracket fit tight, but was wondering if anyone else has had this problem. I can't remember ever having this problem before with other vehicles. Should I be concerned?

I went on-line and found the specs for the BCI Group Numbers, but they list the sizes as "Maximum Overall Dimensions", thus I guess smaller is acceptable.

Thanks for any advice anyone has.
    Funny thing is once I had the opposite problem - the battery was just a tad too big.

I think you'll be OK as long as nothing works itself loose. Check it each time you check the oil.
  • crestonavecrestonave Member Posts: 209
    I just had the struts replaced, under warranty, on my 2007 Sienna XLE Ltd AWD. The left front strut was making noise and Toyota advised that upon inspection they found a leak in the right front strut also. In addition, the steering rack was leaking. The car has slightly less than 19000 miles on it. Toyota told me that they verified that the problems were "factory defects" and covered under warranty.

Does this make sense to anyone? Anyone else experience this kind of problem with a supposedly super-reliable vehicle such as the Sienna?
    Don't complain, I'd be glad they covered it, no questions asked.

Don't tell them about your side job as a minivan rally racer. LOL :D
  • zzzzzz982000zzzzzz982000 Member Posts: 17
    I had the same problem with Sienna 2004. As I drove it out brand new from the Toyota dealer in 2004 and got it in front of the driveway, I noticed an oily patch under the front left tire. I checked and saw it was coming from the strut.
    I took it back to the dealer who with a smile had the strut replaced under warranty.

Recently, in april 2009 after 80K miles I started hearing a persistent knocking sound in the front left side. I checked the strut and found what looked like a leak. Took it to Toyota who said the strut had leaked and needed to be replaced. They said it will cost "between 355 and 800$" because they may have to change other parts related to the strut.
    The problem is they did not have the strut in stock. They had to order it. We have been waiting since then and no replacement strut has shown up yet. They called me this morning to say the part is still backordered and that they dont expect it soon !!! I think I am going to go to a local garage and get an OEM intalled except you have to do both sides when you change for another brand of struts
    I was gonna say, it's out of warranty so just get some Monroe Sensatronics installed at your local shop. You can probably do both sides for that price.
  • mom2boys1mom2boys1 Member Posts: 6
    My son threw a golf ball up into my 2009 Sienna exhaust pipe and we cant reach it. Turning the car on and gunning the engine didn't send it out. Any ideas on how to get it out and is it dangerous to drive? Thanks.
  • MaryTNMaryTN Member Posts: 2
    Have you tried a shop-vac? On a steep hill?
    Thanks for the suggestion. I tried it but it did not work. I think the ball might be into the muffler.
    Kids these days... ;)

I guess once it's hot enough the golf ball will melt in the muffler. Per wiki:

They usually consist of a two-, three-, or four-layer design, (named either a two-piece, three-piece, or four-piece ball) consisting of various synthetic materials like surlyn or urethane blends

Not sure if any of those will damage the metal muffler as they melt. Or if the fumes will be toxic? :confuse:

Any chemists around? What happens to surlyn and urethane as it melts?
    Talked to the Toyota guy today and he says it shouldn't be an issue even if it is in the muffler but could make some funny noises. I drove the van today and thankfully didn't hear a sound! It is interesting about the golf ball melting. I guess only time will tell.......
  • blue_tigerblue_tiger Member Posts: 1
    My 2004 sienna (at 78,000 miles) is scheduled to have the windshield wiper motor replaced that will cost $1200. and now the brakes, the rotors, pads, shims must be replaced ($430), Resurface rear rotors ($145), replace the timing and drive belts ($585) at a total repair cost of $1300. Is it worthwhile to repair this van or trade it in and get a new car? Note: I have less than a year before the van is paid for.
  • yatesjoyatesjo Member Posts: 186
    Simple answer: Keep it.

Most of those repairs are wear and tear- brakes, rotors and belts- that need to be replace at that interval anyway. Spend the $1300 in maintenance costs and the van will treat you well for a lot more miles.

I'm guessing that the $1200 number is a typo, since online sites list a new motor at <$100. If it's not a typo, take your van to another shop because that one is ripping you off. The wiper motor is not a normal wear and tear item and an unfortunate premature failure that we'd rather not have; at the same time these things happen in this less than perfect world. If that is the only expense outside of normal wear and tear, then don't get too worked up about it.

A new car every 5 years is a waste of money with the depreciation as you drive off the lot will setting you back more than $1300.
  • redpearlredpearl Member Posts: 14
    I added the WeatherTech hood stone shield and the side window deflectors immediately after purchasing my Sienna on May 01, 2009. Previously installed the same for my '05 Highlander.

The all-weather mats followed right after I realized that the carpet mats in the CF package were a lighter grey than my carpet and were backed with an open cell foam.
    After mats got wet the foam started to disintegrate and adhered to the carpet. Mats on '05 Highlander and previous vehicles all had a solid rubber/vinyl backing.
    I use an old sheet instead of the cargo liner and have just ordered an Intera tarp from Costco.com which will protect the seat backs and sides if a lot of dirty gear has to be carried. Tarp seems easy to fold and store.
    Plus he'd have to fix those things to sell it anyway.
  • pjksrpjksr Member Posts: 111
    I had these 4 codes show up on my 2002 Sienna, 145,000 miles, coincidentally, about a week after a timing belt change. I verified the hose and electrical connections in the engine compartment, and under the vehicle, and they were all fine, then proceeded to diagnose the VSV valves on the EVAP system. All the valves were freely clicking, and letting or stopping airflow, as required. I didn't find any vacuum leaks in the system, or malfunction of the canister. So, what next, I wondered? The fall-back in the service manual is to replace the charcoal canister, so I did. It worked! My readiness monitors are all completed, and there aren't any codes pending or set (whereas previously, codes set on the first drive pattern cycle). My van now makes a very robust swoosh when I open the gas cap.

If you're reading this, you probably have these codes. Search the internet, and you'll find many similar problems on Toyotas from this era, fixed the same way. If you can't find a stuck valve, or holed hose, or failed gas cap, the canister is a likely culprit. My canister cost $229 on eBay, thru a Toyota dealer in Vandalia, Ohio...

Good luck, Pete
  • chakaluchakalu Member Posts: 2
    On my 04 Sienna the LH turn signal and left side emerg. flashers do not work. The right side works fine. The dashboard L turn indicator does not light. Both front and rear blubs appear to be good. Dealer wants to troubleshoot either turn signal switch problem or electrical problem. This usually means big $$$. Any thoughts or ideas? Thanks
  • Malta1Malta1 Member Posts: 3
    Have you checked the fuses, try and wiggile them :)
  • chakaluchakalu Member Posts: 2
    There is a single fuse for the entire turn signal and emergency flasher circuit. The right side works, the left side doesn't. Thanks for your reply
  • islandvanislandvan Member Posts: 23
    has anyone had a problem with the middle row, passenger side headrest blocking their view out the passenger side back rear window?

i cannot see anyhing and have to remove the headrest in fear of not seeing traffic.

i even tried putting the low profile middle seat headrest there but it will not fit.

love the car and am a fan of toyota but there are a few things that make me go: huh?
    No big deal to remove it if your kids are not that tall. You want the top of the seat to reach their ear level. When they outgrow it, put it back.
    thanks ateiexeria

sadly 2 of my kids are taller and i do have some adults in the car as well.... just have to live with it i guess.
    i have seen a few posts re mid 2000 siennas and the battery draining if you leave the rear hatch open because "the computer is talking to the open hatch"....has anyone had this happen with later years?

i park my 2010 le in a garage and usually leave the power doors and the back hatch open...so far, so good but i do not want to do it if it will drain the battery.

thanks for any feed back.
  • sternfanlasternfanla Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2000 Toyota Sienna. How do i reset the Tire pressure censor?
    not sure about a 2000, but my 2010 sensor came on after a 270 mile highway trip in cold weather... i just filled the tires up to the correct pressure and the light went off by itself.

i think you can also press and hold the small round button on the drivers side dash....it is one of the switches by your knees(2010), but if the tire pressure is still low it will come back on.

and "baba-booey to you all"
  • cptpltcptplt Member Posts: 1,075
    I don't think 2000s have a TPMS sensor in the wheel, IIRC prior to 07 they used the ABS system for the TPMS.
  • steine13steine13 Member Posts: 2,818
    Learned Friends,

I have a 2003 Sienna CE that I bought in January '03. It was about the last '03 they had before the '04 started showing up. It now has 115k miles, and it has been an excellent car overall.

Here is an issue that cropped up at least a couple of years ago:
    On cold mornings, when the transmission holds 2nd gear until 35-40 mph, the engine revs to ~ 3000-3500 rpm. At that time, there is a noise from under the hood that sounds like a rattling heat shield or like pinging, depending on who you ask.

I can reproduce the noise with the car parked and the hood raised by grabbing the throttle directly. The noise appears to come from the front cylinder bank. My mechanic suspects the VVT mechanism, and I suspect it'll be spendy to fix. It also doesn't seem to be too big a deal, as it's been going for around 30k miles.
    When the car is warmed up, the noise disappears.

Recently I was biking home from work and was passed at close range by another l Sienna with exactly the same noise... except louder.

So I thought I'd ask: Is anybody else experiencing this noise? Has anyone had it fixed, and how? Advice and comments are much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
    -Mathias
    That is correct, I got an 07 and read about that new feature when it came out.
  • siennamisiennami Member Posts: 116
    From what I remember about my 2000, there was a reset button(about left knee level). When you initially start the car, press it in, and it should reset, unless there's a problem with your tires.....I think! At least, that's what I remember! I have a 2007, and the button is in the same place. Good ol' Toyota....making it easier for those of us who don't particularly like change!
  • madams1madams1 Member Posts: 101
    For those that ordered and replaced your cabin air filter, which brand did you get and where from. I see Kinsen, NPN and TYC brands a lot on the internet. The Kinsen and TYC look similar and the NPN looks more sturdy. Called the dealer and they wanted 29.99 for a filter. I will pass on that price.

Thanks for your input.
  • debtfree09debtfree09 Member Posts: 1
    Just replaced my Cabin Filter today. Bought a Wix brand, at a local autoparts store in my town in Michigan. Paid $19 plus tax. I will try Walmart next time and see if its any cheaper.