Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Sienna Future Models

Comments

• toyotakentoyotaken Member Posts: 897
    Now I can't confirm this as it was from one source only, but from what I've been told, be careful if you're having heated seats installed on a vehicle if it has side airbags. I was told that the sensors in the seat preclude the possibility of having heated seats installed aftermarket. So just check if it has side airbags or not.

Ken
  • unc8185unc8185 Member Posts: 33
    The Rampvan conversion is an option. However, we don't require the total confersion. My wife is able to walk with difficulty and doesn't need the front portion of the conversion. We are hoping to find an option that would only add a simple hoist to the rear of the van.

The manufacturer has been working with the '04 Sienna and its 3rd row seat. They indicated that the third row would have to be permanently placed into the floor; the lift is apparently attached onto the seat. This was also the first time they discussed a solution for the Honda Odyssey. The Honda was still described as a tough installatin.

If the '04 Sienna doesn't work, we will consider the '03 Sienna. The floor is flat without a folding 3rd seat, and the lift fits (barely). I will likely be depressed over the "loss" of the '04, but I will enjoy the '03. The Lexus GX470 may have to be considered again.

I need to investigate a possible cargo van option on the '04. This is apparently what IMS uses for the ramp van conversion.

Thanks!
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I remember that you were just looking for a way to get the scooter in the back, but the lowered floor caught my eye.

I haven't noticed anything else coming down the pike in the "luxury" department....

Steve, Host
  • illinoisikeillinoisike Member Posts: 1
    I was frankly Amazed when I saw the '04 Sienna at Chicago's auto show. Own a '98 XLE right now, and love the fold flat rear seats, second row openable windows, etc. The guys working at the show were less than knowledgeable, but most helpful trying to get info. They were scrambling!!

As far as putting a wheelchair within, altho it had no real interest to me, they had one '04 Van on display with the equipment already installed.

Forget who made it, but the passenger seat slid right out on top of the electric scooter which was retrieved from the van rear. Maybe someone here remembers who the supplier was.

Also, they told me the '03 Production stopped in Nov, and the '04 was in startup mode at their new Indiana plant (I believe).
  • palmerpalmer Member Posts: 33
    Anybody know if the 04 Toyota Sienna power rear hatch is going to make the same annoying beeping sound that the Chrysler Town and Country power rear hatch makes when it opens and closes?
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    For safety's sake.
  • buckeyedonbuckeyedon Member Posts: 46
    Thanks for the "noise" response. Much appreciated...and encouraging. My comparison would be to Odessey, which is reported to have a fairly high noise level.
  • leknlekn Member Posts: 78
    The buzzer option with power rear hatch and power sliding doors are programmable (by dealer, not user). I believe both buzzers were off by default. And the dealer can set it to low volume or large volume.
  • hk9999hk9999 Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone know if the backup sensor is available in the XLT Limited edition only? I want the backup sensor, but I don't want the DVD Entertainment system.
  • sbelfieldsbelfield Member Posts: 41
    First, thanks to all who post on here...you info. was very helpful with our purchase.

After test driving the Sienna and Odyssey back to back the previous night we went with the Sienna. The Sienna was simply quieter (considerably less wind and road noise), seats were more comfortable, dash looked better, and stereo system was much better. The back seat on the Ody is a plus, but we can live without it for several thousand dollars less. Sienna is smaller, which is a plus when considering driving and manuevering the vehicle. Considered the '04 Sienna as well, but could not justify paying $5000 more for the upgrades (back seat, motor, etc.)

We went with a LE Sienna with Symphony package, tow, power pass door, side air bags, and running boards. Dealer also agreed to split cost of rear bumper guard (about $37). Paid $23,000 ($2250 below invoice or $5797 below MSRP). Also got the dealer to buy down an interest financing rate with Toyota Motor Corp to 2.9% for 48 months.

After 3 hours of test drive and haggling we came to an agreement, did the paper work and were out the door in another 2 hours or so(I live in Chesapeake, VA). They did charge us $465 in advertising fees which was a regional charge??? We did call another dealer in Richmond and Va Beach (Va Beach dealer also had similar advertising fees) and they could only offer $1000 off invoice plus financing (or additional $1500 off). Bottom line, they couldn't match it or beat it.

x10guy, your friend that got one for $21,888 got a killer deal!...but I did get the financing I wanted too.

Bottom line, I got it for about $23,500 before taxes, title/registration, and processing fees with 2.9% for 48 months.

Very happy customer! Oh, by the way, we love our Sienna!
  • nofeernofeer Member Posts: 381
    will toyota have a stereo that will play mp3 put on cd-r if so i want one. i'm not sure if ody has it.
  • kceastlandkceastland Member Posts: 2
    Norman,

Could you please send me the Sienna vs. Odyssey spreadsheat.

Thanks
    kceastland@hotmail.com
  • LuzerLuzer Member Posts: 119
    Wow, and I paid $1000 over invoice and thought I got a good deal. But that was model yr 2 - 1999.

So if history serves any purpose -

Model yr 1 - close to MSRP, given that the H Ody is still in demand at close to MSRP.

yr 2 - between $1000 and $1500 over.

yr 3 - less than $1000 over

yr 4 - closer to invoice

yr 5 - clearance sale at $2000 to $2500 below invoice.

I guess my 99 have to last 5 more years - it should have 130,000 miles by then - putting in the more efficient Pontiac Vibe for typical everyday family moving.

$6000 less than MSRP is a very compelling reason to live with the 03 Sienna, as the 99 is serving me very well.

Road Noise - get Michelin's tires, softer and quieter. 90 mph an don't even notice, until those flashing red lights appear in the mirror.
  • phistrationphistration Member Posts: 4
    Sorry nofeer but the current generation of Toyota headunits do not play MP3's The Sienna headunit will play CD-R/RW's though.
  • siennaitalysiennaitaly Member Posts: 8
    Just got a call from my dealer. The '04 Sienna I ordered on Feb 20th is now Category S, meaning it is in freight, with a estimated arrival date listed as 3/3/03 - 3/7/03. Is $1000 a good price for 7 year 100,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty.
    I have never purchased an extended warranty. Is it necessary for this vehicle (see my previous post #1433). Is the extended warranty price typically negotiable. Thank you for your help.
  • newcar35newcar35 Member Posts: 48
    Why do you want an extended warranty? The major reason - in my mind - to buy a Toyota or Honda is so you DON'T need extended warranties. These aren't some cheapo car that will fall apart on you. I think if you buy an extended warranty you will be wasting your money. This comes from someone who is getting rid of a 1986 vehicle when the new Sienna arrives. I don't think I've spent more than $1,000 repairing that vehicle the entire time I've had it (Chevy Nova back when they were the Toyota Corolla in everything but the nameplates).

Also, if you are determined to get one, read the fine print before you pay for it. Bumper to bumper is nice, but what are they warranteeing against? Is it only manufacturer's defects, or does it include wear and tear items (eg if your muffler got a hole, would it be included under the warranty, or would that be excluded as a wear item). If they are only covering manufacturing defects, then I think it is even more worthless.

JMO
  • windstarloserwindstarloser Member Posts: 11
    Siennaitaly,

I'm sure this post will generate a few angry responses from people who've bought extended warranties and either benefited from them or think they might, but the truth is that extended warranties are nothing but a money maker for the folks who sell them to you. They're just another profit center, like undercoating, fabric protection and everything else you don't need.

I used to be a sales rep (a long time ago) and profited handsomely from selling the damn warranties to little old ladies. I was torn: get a 30% commission on the "warranty," or have my boss glare at me. Needless to say, I eventually got fired.

Need more proof? I don't know if they still do it, but I remember, a few years ago, walking into a toy store--part of a huge chain--that PROMINENTLY offered extended warranties on over 10,000 items in the store. They don't do that unless they make a fortune. Odds are, you'll never use the warranties for the items they cover. I've known a bunch of people who've spent the money on these things and found out, unfortunately, that they didn't quite cover as much as they thought.

As an aside, let me also tell you this: trade-ins are a LOSING game for the buyer. You will NEVER do well in a trade-in. The beauty of this scam is that everybody I've ever talked to is always amazed at how much money a dealership gave them for their car. It's merely deducted from the amount they would've given you off the MSRP. In all fairness to dealers, they can't afford to lose money on trade-ins, but they're presented as a cash-positive thing for buyers. They're not. Trust me.

I can't tell you what to do, obviously, but I AM strongly advising you to forget the extended warranty. At $1,000, it's $1,000 pure profit, less the sales commission. I STRONGLY agree with newcar35.

Cheers.
    I read the fine print and they want records of maintenance.

I do most of my own work and probably saved $1000 to $2000 over the first 5 yrs. Oil, fluids, tune ups, brakes. Rotates are free.

There's also the deductible, sometime per item.
  • windstarloserwindstarloser Member Posts: 11
    Luzer,

That's PRECISELY what one of my acquaintances had trouble with. He bought an extended warranty, and when something went terribly wrong, the car company wanted his maintenance records. He told them he did his own work. NOT GOOD ENOUGH! they roared, and refused to do the work covered under warranty. That was his reward for saving a gazillion dollars by doing his own maintenance. They want you to go to THEIR shops, have all of THEIR maintenance done (which means you have to argue every time that no, you don't need struts, plugs, belts, or the numerous other nonsense they try to get you to replace every time), pay through the nose, and get your precious maintenance records.

Oy, I better stop before I raise my blood pressure.

Cheers.
  • jimmymkejimmymke Member Posts: 13
    Hi all. I've been having second thoughts about waiting for the '04 and paying MSRP verses getting an '03 now for thousands less. The two points I'm stuck on are the safety features and larger engine for towing my camper that the '04 offers. But spending $22K verses $26-28K is appealing, too.
    Sbelfield, thanks for your post. I can relate big time.

Anyone heard of CE's with VSC? One sales guy I have spoken to said they are a rarity and would have to be special ordered.
    Jimmy
  • ash21ash21 Member Posts: 10
    "Extended Warranty"
    means
    "SCAM"
  • coolguyky7coolguyky7 Member Posts: 932
    I believe it was Homer Simpson who said, "Extended warranty? I can't lose!"
  • jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    Why do you need one? The Sienna IS a reliable Toyota.
  • canuck13canuck13 Member Posts: 73
    I'm planning to get the extended warranty and it has nothing to do with the probability of having expensive repairs. My experience is that once the manufacturers warranty ends my wife will insist in dumping the van and getting something new. She is paranoid that something will break and she will be bugging me constantly to get something new. So, I figure it is worth getting the warranty even if I never use it...she won't bug me to get a new truck until the extended warranty ends.
  • canuck13canuck13 Member Posts: 73
    Anyone know if the wood trim is real wood or just some cheap piece of plastic painted to look like wood?
  • jtlanejrjtlanejr Member Posts: 35
    If you must have the factory warranty, try toyotawarranty.com. They are a dealer that sells the factory warranty for really cheap.
  • jd_ottawajd_ottawa Member Posts: 20
    Trim is the fake stuff. Reviewers have commented that its the best looking fake stuff out there.
    In my opinion the '03 is adequate enough for towing given the V6 and 210 hp. You also can get an '03 with VSC as an option.

If you want, you can wait until March 15 and check out the new '04 to compare. I'm sure you will get a killer deal then on '03, no worse than the deals we're getting now. You might have to drive some distance to find the model and options you want though with limited numbers of '03 left (given the area you are at of course).
  • wholiganwholigan Member Posts: 148
    Allow me to share a story. With a name like Windstarloser, I must assume he is familiar with dealing with the Ford Motor Company.

I own a 1995 Windstar. This was the FIRST production year of Ford's ATTEMPT at a minivan. I bought it used from a family member in 1998 with 35000 miles on it. Against his better judgement, the initial owner bought an extended warranty. When I bought the vehicle, I transferred the warranty to my name for $40.

Since that time, take a look at what was done...
    =January 1999 47000 Transmission Failure - New Transmission - Warranty - $50
    =May 1999 52000 Transmission Failure - New Transmission - Warranty - No Charge
    =May 1999 52000 Replace Head Gasket (Under Program) - Ford Program - No Charge
    =May 1999 52025 Motor Failure - Replace Engine - Warranty - No Charge
    =July 1999 53000 Check Engine Light - Replace Oxygen Sensors - Warranty - $50
    =October 1999 56000 Transmission Failure - New Transmission - Warranty - No Charge
    =January 2000 59600 New Blower Motor and other stuff - Extended Warranty about to expire - Some Warranty - $400
    =February 2000 61000 New Front Brakes and Rotors - I Paid - $225
    =April 2000 63000 New Inner Tie Rods - I Paid - $300
    =March 2001 75000 Engine Failing - Replace Engine Warranty - No Charge
    =April 2001 77600 New Outer Tie Rods - I Paid - $300

As you can see, most was warranty covered...

I know, I know... This was just ONE person's experience. Given what happend Ford's FIRST YEAR production model, do you think this ONE person would buy another FIRST YEAR production vehicle without an Extended Warranty? Not after having to make payments on a >25Large purchase! Not on your life!

Let me make one final comment... I do not think that there will be major issues with the Sienna and the FIRST PRODUCTION year engine/transmission. Even if there are, Toyota (and Honda for that matter) work with their customers much better than their American counterparts.

An extended warranty is nothing more than an insurance policy. With todays increasingly complex electronics, motors, transmission, et. al., one repair will likely pay for itself.

The great thing about this - you control the decision whether or not to buy it...

Enjoy Folks!
    2003 Honda Odyssey EX-LRES - Midnight Blue Pearl
    2004 Honda Accord EX-L Graphite Pearl
    2007 Honda Civic EX - Atomic Blue
    2013 Honda Civic LX - Crimson Pearl
  • ssriederssrieder Member Posts: 7
    Jimmy,

I just bought an '03 LE Symphony. From my research that was the only way to get VSC without moving up to the XLE package(and a couple thousand more $$). To get the VSC (code VD) you end up getting LE w/ Symphony Pckge (SP), Front side impact air bage (BE), Power Passenger Sliding Door (AJ), 50 state emission (FE), and tow prep (TO). There are usually some odds and ends thrown in (ours has the bumper protector). MSRP for this runs mid 28's. Most people seem to be getting this into the 22's or 23's after rebate. We decided that as long as we could get the VSC and side air bags on the '03, then factor in that the smaller size is a plus for us, and the lower cost, spending for the 04 just didn't make sense. Although I will admit, I am kind of getting '04 envy for things like the new seats. Oh well, I can just look at my checking account balance to ease the pain!!

Good luck on your decision,

Steve
    If seats are your concern, think if you would ever need that space.

I removed my back seats about 6 times since 1999.
    Tumbled about 15 times max.
  • era5678era5678 Member Posts: 2
    I'm very anxiously awaiting the new Sienna. I've been wanting a van for a long time and hopefully my husband and I will agree now is the time. I'm wondering though, what are the new Sienna colors? Since this will be my first brand new car of any kind this is a very important issue! We're still debating between the Odyssey and the Sienna. We'll have to wait and see.
  • hetheridehetheride Member Posts: 7
    To all of the Toyota employees out here....

Any idea of the 04's Lease Residuals yet?
  • andrewtran71andrewtran71 Member Posts: 840
    I have to admit that the Sienna is a little quieter than the Odyssey. But the features/prices of the Odyssey is still better than the Sienna.
    I called the local dealer and they will not give me any discounts for ordering the 2004 Sienna. In contrast, I got an offer for $2,000 off MSRP on a 2003 Odyssey.
    In my opinion, I think they should have used a chrome grill on the Sienna like the one for the Avalon. Also, the dash display looks a little cheap. Again I think they should have made it look more sedan-like for the dash.

But the bottom line is pricing vs. features.
    These are mini-vans, not exactly for showing off.
    I think if you are into just the basics, then the Sienna is a winner- CE for about $23,500 compared to $24K Plus for the Odyssey LX, unless again you get a better discount for the Odyssey. If you got $2K off on the Odyssey LX, well then its $22K Plus, which would be a deal.
  • grimlocgrimloc Member Posts: 7
    Let me preface by saying, "I know I'm about to get flamed for this....." I'll take the heat.

I'm getting tired of hearing people remind us that THIS IS JUST A MINIVAN! True yes, but stop trying to convince yourselves that the new 04 Sienna isn't worth getting excited, and for some, obsessed over. I would agree, if your personal ego is directly related to the length of your gear shifter, the Sienna probably isn't your thing. For some of us here, it's finally the vehicle we've been waiting for. And if it's JUST A MINIVAN, maybe you can spend your time elsewhere.
  • bearpamplinbearpamplin Member Posts: 25
    Hey, hey, Minivans have feelings also. Lots of things are taken into account when you buy one. Track records show Honda and Toyota are the best.

So leave my Minivan mentality alone.
  • andrewtran71andrewtran71 Member Posts: 840
    Point well taken, grimloc.
    Actually, I wanted a Sequoia, but they did not offer the Navigation system and my wife hates SUV.
    After owning a Corolla, Camry, Avalon, and then a Lexus LS400, I was initially aiming for the Sienna. The 2003 model did not even offer Navigation system so I was excited that the 2004 model offered it. But finding out that you have to spend about $35-36K for a Sienna with Navigation system, I was disappointed. I was even more disappointed when these local dealers would not offer me any discounts. I guess each of us have certain expectations and standards for everything. I would pay $36K for a Sequoia, but not for a Sienna or any minivan.
    My written expressions here are my opinions only so I don't mean to offend anyone.
    I was just curious to know if anyone else feels the same about the pricing of the new Sienna. My opinion is that if you want just the strip down model, then the Sienna is a good deal. But then if you want certain things, like Navigation, but not certain things (like DVD RES, 17" Wheels, 10 Speakers) then you just may get frustrated that Toyota doesn't even offer a more basic van with Navigation instead of making you buy everything else just to get navigation.
    Apparently, I enjoy reading comments from people like grimloc and bearpamplin. That's why I spend some time here.
    I do like to hear more about how everyone really feels about the 2004 Sienna after knowing the prices, discounts or lack of, exterior looks and interior looks.
  • hansiennahansienna Member Posts: 2,312
    Toyota offers great vehicles at a great price until Toyota over priced options are added. (Extra Value Packages in pre- 04 Siennas a notable exception). All of my Toyotas were rather basic without the expensive options.
  • steveb84steveb84 Member Posts: 187
    Toyota doesn't use specific percentages, but a grid based on base MSRP and then the option packages. Our first arrival is an 5346 XLE with FE GJ .

Use the following as a guide - not hard fact.

Total MSRP $35,315 Base MSRP $28,260

Low (12k/yr) Std (15k/yr)

24 month ------ 17,804

36 month 17,521 16,956

48 month 15,260 14,695

60 month 13,282 12,717

Colors:

056 - Natural White
    071 - Arctic Frost Pearl (XLE only)
    1D7 - Silver Shadow Pearl
    1E3 - Phantom Gray Pearl
    3Q3 - Salsa Red Pearl
    4Q2 - Desert Sand Mica
    6S7 - Aspen Green Pearl
    8Q0 - Stratosphere Mica
    8R5 - Blue Mirage Metallic

All of the colors except Arctic Frost & Blue Mirage are existing Toyota colors. Most are on the Camry and other models.

Steve
  • newcar35newcar35 Member Posts: 48
    You can see the blue mirage on the van pictured at www.chicagoautoshow.com. click on new for 2003, then production vehicles, then the Sienna.
    Why didn't you get the Sequoia? Wife hates SUVs?!!?! That thing rules. Very awesome machine. I would tell my wife (I'm not married) drive it. But 90-95% of car sales involve a female decision making process. Women buy cars not men.

Problem with most base model Toyotas is you don't get much, let alone what you want and end up paying for what you don't want also.
  • overtime1overtime1 Member Posts: 134
    Are there any '04s currently at dealerships for evaluation and test drive? My wife and I currently have an order in on a Volvo XC90 but we want to check out the Sienna before making our final decision.

Can I check one out now? or do I have to wait until the 15th?

OT
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    with respect to Toyota's pricing.
    I think its great that Toyota makes lots of options and packages available. In particular, this 2004 Sienna offers alot of possibility with respect to packages.

A decently equipped LE with dual sliders and VSC/side curtains is about $27,000- a very fair sticker if you ask me. Sure if you want more, you will have to pay more, but loaded to the gills, with AWD, NAV, leather etc, and XLE Limited at 40K is still 5K less than a similarly equipped RX330, which is smaller.

It continues to amaze me that many, many families would choose the RX simply for its status, even when their needs are more closely matched by a minivan.

~alpha
    You are dead on by stating that many families purchase SUVs for status even when their needs are more closely matched by a minivan.

Well, I say let them continue. If everyone wanted a minivan, the demand would be high and thus prices would be even higher. I'm happy to be in the minority and pay less for more!

'03 Sienna Symphony edition here and loving it!
  • zorglubzorglub Member Posts: 79
    I am hoping to get a new car at the end of this year (economy and other mundane things permitting). So far, I was quite interested in the Pilot (and still am), but then I learned that the new Sienna will get AWD, and that's a must have feature for us.

Anyway, I went on Toyota website, and I saw that the AWD models are about $6-7K more than their 2WD counterparts. What gives? Do the AWD models come fully loaded with a bunch of options?

Thanks for the explanations.
  • danhirschdanhirsch Member Posts: 20
    I am a five time Toyota owner - a 1986 Camry (bought used), a 1992 Corolla DX, a 1994 Tercel DX(for the wife), a 1998 Sienna XLE and a 2001 Camry LE, and I can state with equivication that no matter which version you get, you can get a good value. My 1992 Corolla was a great little car, it cost under $9k, I used it for almost 10 years, over 120k miles and sold it for $3500. I see the car at the train station every day and the new owner still waves at me and smiles....

The Tercel was terribly underpowered but what did we expect for the amount we paid for it - less even than the Corolla and we still got back $5000 when we traded it in for the Sienna.

The Sienna has been a great bus for the family, although I have always found the rear storage area to be too small - it looks like this was fixed in 2004. It is comfortable in every seat and easy to drive. We bought it for well under MSRP (over 2k less) in Hillside, NJ even though it was a new model. We picked one of the vans that was "on the lot" two days after Xmas and right before the new year - I had the choice between the one we got with cloth and no moonroof and a Maroon one with leather and a moonroof (oohs and ahhs) and picked the lower priced one, but have always felt that we got a great deal and have never regretted it. I am somewhat envious of my sister-in-law's 2001 Sienna with JBL speakers, moonroof, video screen and leather, but never thought it was worth the extra money that they paid, although the engine has always seemed a little stronger and the transmission smoother.

We are ready for the 2004 but I refuse to pay MSRP. I have no problem going to the 6+ dealers in central NJ and saying - this is what I am paying over invoice, and I will buy from the first dealer that gives me that deal minus the KBB value on the trade in. Eventually when the avid customers stop calling and they have a car on the lot they will give me a call - it has always happened that way, and it really works, at least where there is competition.

Anyways - my family spends a lot of time in the Sienna and therefore, it is not "just a minivan" -it is a place where my family spends a lot of time in, and should be comfortable, reliable and safe for that reason alone.
    You have to remember you have a van vs. SUV there. Also the Pilot will have a little different ride vs. the van. So you really need to look at price then. Both vehicles will sell for sticker. So it shoule be an equal playing field on price and dealing.

Have fun, both are outstanding vehicles and you can't go wrong with either one.
  • harryfatharryfat Member Posts: 132
    Alpha01,

You said that a "decently equipped LE with dual sliders and VSC" is reasonably priced at $27K. From what I have seen, the 04 LE options packages only has 1 power sliding door.

I thought you had to upgrade to a XLE to get dual power sliders. I know the 03 had dual power sliders for LE, but I didn't see it on the 04 options. Can you point out where you saw the dual power slider option on the LE? Thanks.
  • hetheridehetheride Member Posts: 7
    Hi Steve,

Thanks for the info on the residuals-Is that pricing guide that you gave on base or with options mentioned.

thanks again!
    Hether
  • overtime1overtime1 Member Posts: 134
    Someone has to know if we can look at this car now or if we have to wait until the 15th...

OT