Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Tundra vs. Chevrolet Silverado

Comments

• jreaganjreagan Member Posts: 285
    I cannot decide who is dumber, you or Belias, you both are outdoing each other here.

DING! Yes they are free. That's what standard means

Standard means free huh? So, does that mean if I order a truck with no options, I get it free? hmmm What a deal.
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    300 pounds is significantly behind?. The GM HDs' tow 16,000 pounds, which is what people who do real towing use. If you had a 10,000 pound trailer, would you buy a 1/2 ton pickup to tow it? Thats HD territory. GM won the braking in the C&D comparison by the way.

No but 2000# is significant, and no 2WD T900 Silverado is within 1500# of the Tundra and in most cases it's over 2000# less than the Tundra.

BTW, don't try to offer the Silvy with the Max Trailering Package.... you can't buy a T900 Silvy that way, Chevy isn't offering it this year. ... Maybe next year. ;)
    That's the now-well known ( thanks to Edmunds ) Torque Management 4 sec closed loop GM slipped into the 6.0L so that the 4 spd tranny's wouldn't grenade.

That is NOT the reason. I am not going through this again. Want to know the real reason? Research it like I did.
  • beliasbelias Member Posts: 316
    The Chevy gets a better ride because the comparison stated that they had nothing but a TRD off-road version of the Tundra to compare it to. The Chevy is doing a better job with suspension to get that ride and sacrificing some control when the bed is loaded. Again... it is a balance aspect.
    One possible reason that a new Tundra would get a fully boxed frame is if it offers a 3/4 ton or 1 ton variant. That is expected as any of those trucks from Ford, Dodge, Chevy, and GMC also have it.
    Again, nobody is arguing the strength aspect, but I find it hilarious that though there is no difference cited (by those that actually compared the trucks without the off-road package on the Tundra) that there is this perceived notion that the Tundra is somehow weaker. All of its numbers are better than the Chevy in that regard. So how is that proved? The frame they're using is obviously strong enough to do what any other truck can do and more.
  • toykickstoykicks Member Posts: 95
    C&D hates toyota. They bash anything they put out. But they love hondas and others i wonder why? probably its due to GM, ford and chryslers down fall? :P I dont even read their crap since they dont really test trucks they just car test them.
    BTW, don't try to offer the Silvy with the Max Trailering Package.... you can't buy a T900 Silvy that way, Chevy isn't offering it this year. ... Maybe next year.

BS, have you shopped Chevy's? I drove one with it. Nice try!!!
    You crack me up! If that is true, than why are other GM vehicles making 8 airbags optional? Hmmmm? All side-curtain airbags are pretty much the same size...
    That isn't offered on the Silverado. And I like your logic on having more things "optional" as a benefit. Oh yes, please do not include that with my purchase!! I want to pay "extra" for it! I really hope you were kidding!
    Just because it isn't quantifiable in terms you can understand, it's not better? Get a clue. Ask the Engineers who designed it and I am sure they can give you specifics as to why it's better, but you probably still wouldn't understand. hmm, maybe if it made it do the 1/4 mile a 1/10 of a second faster, then would it make the truck better?
    The rear end on the new tundra is the same as most 3/4 ton trucks. Does anyone know if its a Dana 60-70?
    I think the GM guys are getting frustrated... there isn't anything too tangible that they can point to that is worse on the Tundra then on the Chevy... that's why we're suddenly starting to see claims that "towing" numbers are all exaggerated...
    That is funny since that was their big claim to fame for much of the last 3 decades... now suddenly that they aren't 1st in this area (in the 1/2 ton market) it is suddenly "unimportant". But hey, the Tundra has low tow hooks...
    Look at the pics of the interior showing the airbags inflated and then come back and tell me there isn't sufficient protection....

Options ARE a benefit. If you think std = free, you really are ignorant.
    Who said anything about tow hooks?

You guys are unbelievable, I give up.

Enjoy your wannabe Toyotas.
    Yeah, I am getting really frustrated. It is very frustrating talking to ignorant people.
    I think you're just loosing all credibility here... you're trying to justify something that is subjective and moreso favors your opposition against actual physical, determined, specifications that are verified and again favor your opposition.
    The only thing I've read here that I respect coming from the GM guys is that the interior is nice. And quite frankly, after I saw the seam on the Silverado in the show room with differing gaps from one end to the other, I was again reminded of some of the manufacturing problems they've experienced. Even if that was an anamoly, fine, no worries. It is a subjective matter anyway and the Denali looks like it is the only truck offering an actual nice interior that may sway me from the Tundra. The Silverado, fully-boxed frame and all, simply isn't as capable (and moreso for me just does not offer as much room in the back seat). The Denali may be able to convince me to give that up, but I'll wait and see...
    Toyota has been making diesels for a long time. Hino already makes a 800 ft.lb torque diesel which will fit into a 3/4 ton truck and meets the new cleaner diesel requirements. Its just a matter of time ;) And when it comes out i know C&D will be ready to bash it.
    Your anger is showing through and it demeans your argumentation. Keep a level head. Has anyone here ever called you a name?

Pricing. This is the dilema in which GM finds itself now.

The answer to your question is Yes these safety features are FREE if you are a truck buyer. That's nuts you say. How is it possible? This won't be pretty, so hold your anger in check.

GMT900 EC 2WD 5.3L ... DC 2WD 5.7L
    Model ....Silvy .... Sierra .... Tundra
    Base Pr. 28590 .... 28990 .... 28110
    Freight... 900 ...... 900 ...... 645
    Total..... 29490 .... 29890 .... 28755 ( $700 and $1100 less expensive )

But the T900's are missing the following equipment
    6 Speed tranny - Not Available at any price
    Side and curtain airbags - $395
    Stabilitrak - $425
    Tow Package!!! - $675
    Damped Tailgate - $95

So just to bring the T900's up to the same equipment level as the Tundra you have to add $1590 to a Base which is already $700 to $1100 higher than the Tundra.

So the proof is in the numbers - again. Yes you do get all the safety features for FREE in the Tundra, as compared to the T900's. As I mentioned this is GM's dilema. To be competitive now with the Tundra ( and Titan ) they have to
    add these features costing $1500 and they have to lower their base price too...just to be equal. DING!!! That's a marketing problem.

BTW the F150 and Ram are even worse in comparison.
    Your frustration comes from not being able to prove your point. The ignorance you speak of is in not having a good argument for how the frame of the Chevy out-does the frame of the Toyota. Nobody is arguing the frame's strength, but, in this case, it makes little if any difference whatsoever. And in the case of sheer numbers, the Toyota is better. So, if you can't resolve that, its nobody's problem but yours. You were given plenty of opportunities to back it up and even admit that it isn't a big deal but so far, nobody can produce any numbers. And the ONLY source provided that showed a slight favor to the Chevy in ride was proved to be an uneven comparison (the Tundra had the TRD off-road package). So, sorry you're frustrated, but that happens if the things you're pressing on turn out not to be true...
    Your comparing list prices... What are Tundra's actually selling for? MSRP? Higher even?

I bought mine (ordered from factory, not off lot) for INVOICE!! or about $4000 UNDER msrp.

Now crunch the numbers...

NOTHING in life is free....
  • gtoskylinegtoskyline Member Posts: 68
    You forgot to mention that Tundra also has standard towing packages for V8s.
    does anyone know what type of rearend the tundra has Dana 60-70?
    I have work to do and am going out of town for the rest of the week, here is my summary...

Capability: Both are equivalent. Period.
    Looks: Subjective, but GM wins IMO
    Ride: Regardless of suspension..GM wins
    Options: GM has MORE..and it IS a benefit. I get to buy what I want, and nothing more.
    Interior: Again, subjective, but GM's is better based on majority.
    Technology: GM has MORE Especially when they make their 6-speed tranny std next year. (see earlier post regarding production).

Biggest reason why GM wins: Experience...They have been in the full size truck segment since the dawn of automobiles. Toyota hasn't. End of story.

Enjoy your Toy trucks, have fun at the racetrack, I'll be on the water.
    Toyota has been making trucks for decades what are you talking about? they even make commercial gas&diesel trucks/buses in other countries. give me a break
    Not 1/2 tons. Not here. Not in the quantities GM and Ford have. The last Tundra was mid-size...at best.
    yeah true but thats here in the US. you keep saying toyota has no expierence in the 3/4 ton truck market or diesels which is false. Like i said its just a matter of time. If the market is strong for commercial trucks in the US toyota will deliver plain and simple.
    I have work to do and am going out of town for the rest of the week, here is my summary...

Capability: Both are equivalent. Period.
    Looks: Subjective, but GM wins IMO
    Ride: Regardless of suspension..GM wins
    Options: GM has MORE..and it IS a benefit. I get to buy what I want, and nothing more.
    Interior: Again, subjective, but GM's is better based on majority.
    Technology: GM has MORE Especially when they make their 6-speed tranny std next year. (see earlier post regarding production).

Biggest reason why GM wins: Experience...They have been in the full size truck segment since the dawn of automobiles. Toyota hasn't. End of story.

Enjoy your Toy trucks, have fun at the racetrack, I'll be on the water.

I see, so GM is ahead in technology because they will bring a 6-speed transmission NEXT year that is available this year on the Tundra? Yes, they must be the leader in this department!
    You're entitled to your opinion; everyone is and nobody will knock you for that. I can't say that I agree with you on most all of those accounts (especially Looks, Ride, Options, Interior, and Technology). If you want to claim capability is comparable, I can agree to that since I guess that 95% of the people making this an issue will never even approach the max capability once, never mind on a regular basis.
    I like the looks of the Tundra and the Options, Interior, and Technology are all better in my opinion. Ride I can't honestly comment on because I haven't test driven both vehicles. I don't know how anybody can make that assertion and be absolutely confident in it. At best if you just don't want to get in the Tundra and drive it, fine nobody will force you. But saying that it is better based on a flawed comparison wouldn't hold up in any review, not just this one. I can trust a few things to online magazine comparison tests, but things like that I have to go and do myself.
    I'll give GM the experience department on this, but with a couple of caveats. Toyota has way more experience in producing high-quality autos; so give them their due credit if you're going to use the "experience" claim. Secondly, the Tacoma absolutely trounces the competition and badly... the Canyon and Colorado? Nada... 5 cylinder engines and stale interior don't make a good mid-size truck. I know we're not talking about here, but the point you made about experience in trucks has to transcend both ways (not just up to 3/4 and 1 tons). As noted in another post, you'd be hard pressed to find GM SUVs trolling the globe in anywhere near the numbers that Toyotas are. So, just be fair to them. Just because they aren't selling a boat-load of full-size trucks here doesn't mean that they don't know what they're doing. GM, Ford, and Dodge are only dominant in that area because they haven't had any real competition. With the Titan, and Tundra out, that can be said to be at least partially fulfilled. We'll see which way sales will go for GM and which way they'll go for Toyota in a few years...
    I've got 200+ within 100 yards of me now. It's not being offered this year. Check Chevy's website.

It is being offered on Sierra's but not on Silverado's, The subject of this forum.

It was offered last year on the T800's. Weird. A little more research will assist you.
    And you bought a truck with less equipment for about $28000 or $4000 off sticker.

That's a good deal and one anybody can also get with a Tundra - with a $3000 discount....except in the end his Tundra will have more features and do more than your nice riding and solid feeling Silvy.

Sounds like more value. Enjoy yours.
    I was happy to see the Optitron gauges on the new Tundra, but didn't get to see it at "night" when they really look great illuminated. Anybody get to see them that way? Do they look the same like in the Sienna? or the ES350?
    you keep saying toyota has no expierence in the 3/4 ton truck market or diesels which is false.

Where did say that? Show me.
    I drove a 2007 CHEVY SILVERADO LTZ 4x4 WITH the Max Trailering package. Listed right on the window sticker. I remember looking because the Max Trailering pkg included 4.10's and I didn't want 4.10's. I then asked the salesman if he had any 6.0's with the 3.73's...he didn't. But I drove it anyway. You're WRONG!!!
    I'll restate my point regarding GM's 6-speed Tranny. They are using it standard in the Yukon and the Sierra Denali's. Due to the sheer quantity of the trucks they plan to make this year, they could not standardize the new 6-speed on all of the 1/2 tons. Now, if they only planned to make 200K or less, like Toyota, I am sure they would be standard in all of the GM 1/2 tons. Get it? Or do I need to explain it again? I am curious to know when the Tundra would have come out at all if they needed to make 4-5 times as many as they now plan to make.
    I didn't buy a "Silvy", I bought a Sierra.

I didn't pay $28,000, I paid $37,000 after rebates (msrp was just under 43K). And I can guarantee the Toyota with the same equipment is more. I know, I checked. I've been researching this purchase since last summer, I left no stone unturned. Have you?
  • blufz1blufz1 Member Posts: 2,045
    Grow up guys. Pay your money and take your choice. My opinion is that anything that big (07 Tundra) that can run in the 14's @ 90+ mph gets my respect.
    Fair enough, but correct me if I'm wrong; GM understands its own forcast numbers and projections, right? So, either it is due to their inability to secure those transmissions in sufficient numbers soon enough, or, as I suspect, they are reserving them for their higher-priced vehicles to get some extra money out of it (fair enough).
    Either way though, you're not getting it in the 2007 Silverado, that is all I meant by it. You can't count that as a feature if it isn't available today. Otherwise I can say that the Tundra is better because in 2009 they'll offer a hybrid diesel or whatever. Compare what is being done and available now. Both vehicles are new for this year, so that shouldn't be a stretch to do...
    Quick question then... why are you concerned about the Silverado then if you got the Sierra? Also, you're claiming that you got $6K off of an 07 Sierra? How did you pull that off?
    Yeah, that's a real useful, practical spec for a TRUCK!!! Want fast, buy a sports car, then compare to a Vette.
    Invoice was about 4K off msrp, plus I got (2) $1000 rebates. One was a Loyalty rebate (private offer) and the other is a Trade-in Bonus cash rebate.

msrp $42,900
    Invoice (which I paid): $38,929
    less $2000 in rebates = $36,929
    Different things are important to different people. I don't see how having a faster truck that is just as capable or more than a regular truck is somehow a problem. That is like blaming a weightlifter for being a good sprinter... makes no sense.
    Great deal, but how did you manage to get the $4K off of MSRP on a brand new vehicle?
    Boy, you sure are good at putting your own "twist" on my opinions, you sound like my teenager.

I was just putting Toy lover's claim to fame in it's place.

I can say that the things you think aren't important...Rear Locker, Fully Boxed Frame to name a couple, have much more practical use in a TRUCK than a 1/4 mile time.
    Gotta run, but let me know how you got the $4K off of MSRP and whether you think that is possible on the Denali or not. I'd be curious to see if that could happen...
    There's the catch.. The Sierra is offering the Max Trailering where the Silvy is not. It's nowhere on Chevy's website for 2007.

I guess like the 6 spd tranny they didn't have the capacity to give it to all the trucks. ;)

Well you couldn't have done all the research since the Toyota data only came out after you placed your order. Understandable that you picked the best truck - at that time - given the data available.

BTW the Sierra prices are even at a bigger disadvantage to the Tundra than the Silverado is.

Sierra EC 4WD 6.0L is $32990 Base before options
    Tundra DC 4WD 5.7L is $31805 Base before options
    Because I bought a GM!!! Every dealer in town is willing to sell at invoice. They still make good money selling at invoice due to "Dealer Holdbacks" and other factory to dealer incentives based on volume. Toyota can't do it because they don't have the volume.

Like I said, I did my homework and was an informed buyer. Saved me ALOT of money.
    Fully Boxed Frame

Ford ( was there first ) and GM koolaid. You've bought into the marketing bling-bling lock stock and barrel.

It does ride nicer and it is prettier. ;)
    read carefully....ready? here goes...

I was at a C-H-E-V-R-O-L-E-T dealer and test drove a CHEVROLET SILVERADO LTZ 4x4 (fully loaded) with the MAX TRAILERING PACKAGE (listed in black and white on the window sticker). With 4.10's. I drove it before the GMC's were available with the 6.0 and wanted to test drive the 6.0....got it?
  • blufz1blufz1 Member Posts: 2,045
    The implication of the 1/4 mile time and speed is that the Toy is making waaaaaaayyyyyyyyy more power than the GM trucks. Excuse me, but I thought power was a practical spec for trucks.
    Explain to me how I was twisting your comment (I'll check in tomorrow)?
    This comparison is just funny to me. The Chevy posters' logic can be summed up as follows:
    - when there is an attribute that Chevy barely edges the Tundra on, it is VASTLY important and critical to the operation of a truck.
    - when the Tundra has attributes better then the Silverado then those don't matter at all

It is equivalent to running a race here, except that as the Chevy logic goes, being first isn't winning, that is defined as being in the middle of the pack! Gimme a break will ya? Make up your mind! Sheesh, you make a truck that is too good and you guys post that it isn't important or that your 3/4 or 1 ton trucks are better, and then using the same attribute comparison, you say that it wasn't enough for the 2006 model. Well what, you want Toyota to slow down the Truck, make it tow a few hundred pounds less, have it be as ugly as the Silverado and give it the same lack of entertainment and technological features as the Silverado? Yeah, that will make it better!
    waaaaaaayyyyyyyyy

Uh huh...14hp and 26lb-ft of torque is just HUGE!!!
    And both are supposedly capable of towing 5 tons? Good Luck with that.
    Hmm, I wonder if the Tundra would tow my 3500# boat any better? Put things in perspective and the power difference is a non-issue. Heck, my 2000 with the 285hp 5.3L tows my boat just fine. Also, back in 2000, it was top of the heap in HP. Hmm, wonder how long the mighty Tundra will hold the HP crown? These HP wars are a joke.
    Huh? that made no sense dude.
    This is what I mean... Chevy logic, see post 1047 for clarification...
    Gotta run, unlike jreagan, this really is my last post until tomorrow! ;)
This discussion has been closed.