Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Tundra vs. Chevrolet Silverado

Comments

• jreaganjreagan Member Posts: 285
    I never said hp/torque does not equal strength, I said there is MORE to it than that. Stop twisting my words please.
  • beliasbelias Member Posts: 316
    Because it isn't based on reliable data that's why. You don't constitute a sample size and you aren't able to even show any statistically significant data showing that your reliability is better than the Tundra. You have no numbers to show, you have no data to show except for just your subjective claim. You are a current new-model owner so you are obviously biased anyway, and you are unable to prove that those with Tundra's have less reliability based on ANYTHING. So please... at least take remedial statistics before you make claims that you can't back up and aren't willing to support.
    There you go, twisting my words again. Did I say Tundras were less reliable? Show me where please, post #?? I simply stated that based on my 18 yrs of experience driving GMCs, I beleive they are VERY reliable. Did I get lucky? Maybe, but until I experience otherwise, GM's are my choice. It has nothing to do with the fact I just bought one. It is not my first one, it is my 3rd one in the last 18 yrs.

Reliable data? Show me where any stupid-[non-permissible content removed] magazines' data is scientific or "reliable"?
    Also, consider this. Most people that have good experiences go unnoticed because they are content. People with bad experiences are PO'd and voice their opinions. So, of course you are going to hear more about the bad experiences than the good ones.
    If GM's reliability is so poor, why do they still hold such a huge loyalty?
    Do I think the Toyota Tundra is a good truck? Yes, I do.

Do I think it is better than the GMs? NO, I don't.

Do I think the Tundra is a reliable truck? No idea, it is brand new. But based on Toyota's reputation, it should be. Keyword: Should

Do I think the GM is a reliable truck? I have NO reason to think otherwise.

Period!!!
    Post 1186 where you say "But what about long-term reliability and customer satisfaction? And don't tell me that their car market or the previous Tundras speak for that. They are completely different vehicles. This is a new segment for Toyota, so there is no doubt they will have a learning curve to get through. Sure, Toyota is a good automotive mfr, but they are NOT immune to all of the challenges required to get a truck to the point that GM, Ford (and even Dodge) are at in overall truck quality. Sure, they are powerful and fast, but there is way more to a truck than that.
    Oh, and BTW...Does Tundra offer such ammenities such as Rain Sense Wipers and Heated washer fluid? Just curious."
    You make the claim right there...and for the record CR takes good and bad responses.
    Fair enough.. I have to go, but don't take these things personally -- we're not criticiaing YOUR truck... we're looking at the whole picture! Baby is crying... gotta go...
    Where in that post did I say that Toyota's were less reliable? I don't see it. I was questioning it, yes. But did I say it? You cannot crown anyone or anything King until they prove it, and since the Tundra is new to the segment, therefore, they must prove it.
  • 1offroader1offroader Member Posts: 208
    jreagan and belias,

Re: DOHC vs. cam-in-block, Chevy has done A LOT of racing and has built SOHC and DOHC engines for the racing circuit. Their engineers have found that overall internal friction losses are LESS with the pushrod design, and the long term reliability of the timing belt/chain has always been an issue with the DOHC design, no matter who makes it. One of the reasons is that with most modern engines, when the timing chain/belt breaks the valves that are in the open position STAY open when the piston comes up either on the exhaust or compression stroke. The open valves then punch holes in the tops of the pistons and/or the valves get bent, ruining the entire top and bottom end of the motor. This isn't a problem if the belt never breaks, but requires a lot more attention to changing it regularly. Those are two reasons why the engineers feel the pushrod design is better for MOST applications. For extremely high-revving motors the DOHC has some advantages. Until now, the variable valve timing has also been the domain of the DOHC, but Chevy has now licked that technical hurdle and makes a VVT work with pushrods.

Even in Chevy's top end motor, the big block Z06 (500+ hp), it is a pushrod design. Obviously, cost is not an issue with this world-class performance car, at least in terms of the minor cost difference between the two designs. If Chevy thought it was superior they would use it in the Z06 at least.

As to the superiority of 6 bolt mains vs. 4 bolt, and 4 bolt vs. 2 bolt, well it's barely worth commenting on but I will anyway. All hi perf v-8s have at least 4 bolts, and only racing motors, until now, have had 6 (4 bolts + 2 cross bolts). The more, the better. Chevy has learned a lot from its many decades of racing experience. (BTW, I don't have the foggiest what the Tundra v-8 has: 2, 4, or 6, so can't comment on that issue.)

6 bolts are even better than 4 because it ties the opposite sides of the block together into a single rigid unit. It's much stiffer than even the 4 bolt design. To do this, the sides of the block ("skirts") must extend way down past the main bearing caps. On 'typical' v-8 engines, if you remove the sheet metal oil pan you can see part of the crank extending below the bottom edge of the block. With a deep skirt design, the oil pan is very shallow or maybe just a flat plate. When it is removed, you have to look up into the block to see the crank.

Deep skirts were once the unique domain of hi-perf racing engines but Chevy has chosen to incorporate this design feature on some of its hi-end engines despite its add'l. cost and complexity. They wouldn't add this design feature and NOT use DOHC if they thought it was warranted.

BTW, I've built hi-perf v-8s with 2 bolt mains - it can be done. But it was always an issue of limited budget, not what's best. If you've ever dropped a crank out the bottom of your car, you'll understand the advantage. :sick: It's not an experience I would recommend.

1offroader
    Thanks for the additional info offroader. However, don't some DOHC engines provide valve clearance so if a timing belt/chain breaks, it does not ruin the valves/pistons? How/why is this related to Pushrod vs DOHC? Just curious.
  • pmuscepmusce Member Posts: 132
    belias,

Did I say the Tundra was too big? No. I was just stating that the greater rear leg room comes at a cost of 6 more inches in length and smaller pickup bed of 3 inches.

As for the deeper bed, the f-series also has a deeper bed like the Tundra. This is because the sides are higher on both these trucks. Sorry, but this is not an advantage, expecially for contractors who load and unload gear from the side of the truck. Its a common complaint of the f-series. There is no benefit to higher sides.
    Your missing something in your formula:

Add 6 inches of cab room
    Take 3 inches out of the bed
    Add 6 inches to the length

It took 9 inches to add 6 to the cab.
    Some DOHC engines have enough valve clearance so that the engine isn't destroyed if the belt breaks. However, those engines are typically of the lower performance variety. In order to have a lot of clearance, the combustion chamber must be larger, hence lower compression, hence less hp. In a hi perf/hi compression motor, the closed valves must be closer to the top of the piston due to the smaller combustion chamber.

The pushrod design never has to worry about a broken timing belt/chain. It also is limited to 2 valves per cyl. (I believe 4 valve pushrod designs have been done but they were not very successful). Two valves are not as good for very hi revving engines (8,000+ rpm) due to less maximum airflow. Of course with the big block Chevy motors such as the Z06, the hp and torque are not made at those rpms - they have displacement on their side. For bang for the buck, NOTHING beats raw displacement.

1offroader
    Belias likes to twist what we say around to his liking so that he can try to maintain his arguments.

Bottom line:
    Toyota is "Fugly", Inside and out. Fast? yes, Powerful? Yes. Reliable? Remains to be seen. Better? Nope. Ugly? In every way possible.

I have asked several times...Doesn't Toyota believe in body lines? And nice front end!!! haha. Oh, and don't get me started on that really stupid, ugly and poorly layed out interior.
    Continuing my reply to your post:

"-more cup/thermos holders across the line"

Have you been in each configuration of each vehicle and counted them? I’m not sure how many the tundra has, but I know the Silverado has one for each passenger, which seems reasonable. Are you seriously listing this as a benefit?

"- much more advanced Navigation system (see audio/voice controls section and POI numbers, integration with other onboard systems)"

This one is pretty vague. Care to explain what makes it more advanced? Here is what the Silverado Nav does:

‘The new Touch-Screen Navigation Radio,(1) available in LTZ Crew Cab models, helps ensure you have the right map at hand during your travels. And, unlike a paper map, this system can help you get back on track if you happen to make a wrong turn. Included is a 6.5-inch-diagonal, full-color touch-screen display with the ability to play a CD (or DVD when the available rear-seat entertainment system is ordered) and use the navigation DVD. Also featured is voice recognition with the ability to respond to up to 26 commands.
    • When the navigation disc is inserted and the address is entered, a route map is generated (accompanied by audio and/or text) that provides step-by-step instructions as well as points of interest, such as hotels and restaurants (if requested).
    • These commands tell drivers when to turn and alert them if they stray from the calculated route.
    • If a wrong turn is made, the system automatically recalculates a new route from the current position.
    The navigation radio lets drivers select between routes using either the shortest path or the one that utilizes major roads.’

"- rear child-door locks on the Tundra"

Also available on Silverado

"- standard side, side-curtain, and front air bags for Tundra where just the fronts are standard on the Chevy with the option to have side-curtains on some models (no sides available)."

Silverado front airbags are Dual-stage air bags. They sense the severity of a crash and determine if the air bags should be deployed and whether a full or less-than-full amount of inflation will be used.

The standard Passenger Sensing System automatically switches the right-front passenger front air bag on or off based on the passenger’s weight and the type of pressure on the seat.

The Silverado’s Head-Curtain side impact is one integrated airbag that combines complete side-head coverage. Deployed upon sensing a rollover, these air bags cover the first and second rows of Crew and Extended Cab models, or the driver and outboard passenger of Regular Cab models. Plus, they are designed to stay inflated for up to six seconds to help reduce the risk of ejection in the unlikely event of a rollover.

"- bigger brakes all the way around with 4-piston calipers up front Tundra. "

Many things make up good braking performance. The Silverado beat the Tundra in braking in both C&D and Motor Trend comparisons.

"- windshield wiper de-icer grid with timer for rapid defrosting of windshield on Tundra."

The Silverado has heated windshield washer fluid. The system heats the fluid to 170 degrees Fahrenheit. Which one do you think will defrost ice faster?

"- Vehicle Stability Control, Traction Control, ABS with EBD, and Brake Assist on Tundra as opposed to ABS and StabiliTrak on Silverado"

The Silverado has all those features:

All Silverado and Silverado HD models come equipped with a standard four-wheel antilock brake system (ABS) — a crash-avoidance feature that helps prevent wheel lockup during braking in most slippery road conditions. The brakes also include Dynamic Rear Proportioning, which regulates front and rear brake pressure to optimize performance under varying load conditions.

StabiliTrak helps Silverado 1500 models surround you in 360 degrees of safety. This system helps improve vehicle stability, particularly during emergency maneuvers. The system, standard on Crew Cab models and available on select Extended Cab models, also includes Proactive Roll Avoidance, which reduces the risk of a rollover. Here’s how StabiliTrak works:
    • The StabiliTrak control module compares your steering input with the truck’s actual response and then, if necessary, makes small, individual brake applications to enhance control and keep you on track.
    • StabiliTrak automatically intervenes when it senses loss of lateral traction (sideslip), understeer (plowing) or oversteer (fishtailing).
    In these situations, the system applies brake pressure and, if necessary, adjusts engine torque to help the driver get the vehicle back on track.

"- Information centers on Tundra contain more information then what is displayed on the Silverado"

Such as? Here is what the Silverado Info Centre has:

The standard DIC features an expanded array of alerts and a larger display window that shows two rows of characters. New pushbutton controls are located to the right of the gauge cluster for quick access to trip computer functions:
    • Trip/Fuel: Displays the odometer, trip odometer, fuel range, average economy, fuel used, timer, transmission temperature and Active Fuel Management™ indicator (if equipped)
    • Vehicle Information: Displays Silverado powertrain, security and chassis messages such as oil life, engine hours, engine hot or overheated, Tire Pressure Monitor, door or hood open, washer fluid and StabiliTrak on/off
    • Customization: Customize vehicle features to your preference, including language, remote door lock and unlock, exit and approach lighting, loudness of vehicle chimes, seat memory recall and remote start enable
    Set/Reset: Set or reset certain vehicle functions as well as acknowledge DIC messages

"- Tundra has better performance in acceleration, handling, handling under load, and braking then the Silverado (as mentioned by performance numbers in virtually every comparison test).
    -Better power/torque numbers for the Tundra"

I’ll give you acceleration for the 5.7 (although this will change in 2008 when the 6.2 becomes available in the Silverado). The 4.7 Tundra is a slug and is outdone by the 4.8/5.3 Silverado due to Silverado’s weight advantage. Handling and Handling under load are subjective and I’ve seen comparisons that have favoured both. Braking has been won by Silverado in both C&D and Motor Trend. I noticed you failed to mention ride? Every test I have read had given the ride advantage to Silverado.

"- Towing payload numbers favor Tundra in various configurations by 2 to 1."

Sorry I posted all the configurations a few days ago and it was a tossup. You are still assuming the Max Trailoring Package is not available on the Silverado which is false.

"- More power points in Tundra then in the Silverado (3 or 4 to 2)"

The Silverado has two on the dash and one in the centre console. You get a fourth with the available rear audio controls.
    P.S. The pushrod design also has a timing chain, but it is MUCH less susceptible to breakage due to its much shorter length and the fact that it always turns in the same direction. The OHC belt makes a bunch of loops, changes direction, etc. with increased wear and tear. It is also much longer, with more opportunity to develop a weak link.

1offroader
  • iqbaldhillon2iqbaldhillon2 Member Posts: 116
    Dont get me started the Chevy has a nice interior, but the exterior (in person) is ugly! I can't bear to see it. The Tundra in person is a very beautiful truck, and I for one love the interior.BTW.. If you think I'm trying to back up Toyota i'm not, I've owned and '05 Silverado, very nice truck, but not anymore. Tundra is very good! :P
  • toykickstoykicks Member Posts: 95
    Thats your opinion. I think the tundra looks freaken awesome, agressive front end doesnt look average or bland & interior isnt as bad as most people say here and its aimed at functionality not style (screw fake wood). You need to look at it in person not in pictures the tundra Is a beaut but thats my opinion. I like the silverado also but its average same styling cues as always doesnt really stand out from the rest of the 1/2 tons. Its really hard to like the silvy/sierra to get the same capabilities you need to pay extra for a 6.0 and not have the same towing acceleration or standard safety features in the tundra. You dont get the 3/4 ton differential either in the sierra or silvy
  • blufz1blufz1 Member Posts: 2,045
    Looks are subjective. I think the Chevy looks better than before and I also like the Tundra. I think that you can better tailor the chevy because of the ability to order individual options vs. a few packages on the Toy. Pay your money and take your choice.
    I don't get personal on this board, but comments such as "I can't bear to see it" sounds sort of...well...sissy-ish, if you know what I mean.

"Why Rhett, I'll just get the vapors if ah evah see that truck agayin. Lordy me!". LOL!!!!!!

BTW, better get used to it, there will eventually be millions on the road. You are going to have a very difficult life if you literally "can't bear to see it."

1offroader
    Here are some non-subjective advantages the Silverado has over the Tundra:

1) Cargo Management System. Not available on Tundra.

http://www.chevrolet.com/pop/silverado/2007/cargo_management_en.jsp

2) Extended Cab Model rear doors open 170 degrees for full access to the interior. The Tundra Double Cab rear doors are small do not provide anywhere near this level of access.

http://www.chevrolet.com/pop/silverado/2007/rear_doors_en.jsp

3)Rainsense windshield wiper system. Not available on Tundra.

http://www.chevrolet.com/pop/silverado/2007/rainsense_en.jsp

4)Heated windshield washer fluid. Not available on Tundra.

http://www.chevrolet.com/pop/silverado/2007/heated_washer_fluid_en.jsp

5)All Silverado Engines have chains. The 5.7 Tundra is also chain driven but the 4.7 is belt driven. Belts do not belong in a truck. I’m not sure about the Tundra V6.

6)Best V8 fuel economy in the full size pickup class. The 5.3 V8’s EPA is 16/22 city/highway, thanks to cylinder deactivation.

7)Available auto locking rear differential. Not available on Tundra.

8)Standard Car Compatibility Bracket. This safety feature will save lives in accidents with cars. See link for details. Not available on Tundra.

http://www.chevrolet.com/pop/silverado/2007/car_bracket_en.jsp

9)Long Box Models have 34 gallon fuel capacity. When coupled with the 5.3, that results in highway range of 748 miles. The largest tank available in the Tundra is 26.4 resulting in highway range of 528 miles.

10)Autotrac Active 4x4 system. Not available on Tundra.

http://www.chevrolet.com/pop/silverado/2007/4_autotrac_en.jsp

11)Onstar Standard with first year free. My wifes car has this and it’s a great feature. She’s a stay at home mom with our two young kids so she has them in the car a lot. Onstar will automatically send an ambulance if the vehicle is involved in a collision and the airbags deploy. They also call the vehicle to see if everyone is OK. You can get you doors unlocked remotely as well if you lock your keys in the vehicle. Onstar has also been able to track and recover stolen vehicles. Not Available on Tundra.

12)Better Powertrain warranty. 5 years/100,000 miles vs 5 years/60,000 miles

13)Available remote vehicle start system. Not available on Tundra

http://www.chevrolet.com/pop/silverado/2007/remote_starter_en.jsp

14)Available XM Satellite Radio. Not available on Tundra

http://www.chevrolet.com/pop/silverado/2007/xmradio_silverado_en.jsp

15)Better Seat Adjustment Options

Top Tundra Seats
    Driver-side power 10-way adjustable, passenger-side power 4-way adjustable seats

Top Silverado Seats
    12-way power adjustments, two-position driver-side memory, power recline, power bolsters, and power lumbar.

16) Tighter exterior panel gaps.

17) 6 bolt wheels standard. The Tundra has 5 bolt wheels.

18) V6 available as 4x4. V6 is RWD only on Tundra.

19) Heavy Duty models. Not available on Tundra

20) Diesel Engine available. Not available on Tundra

21) A Big Gold Bow tie ;) Not available on Tundra
    And that's where you're WRONG, pmusce. That big gold bow tie IS available for the Tundra. The Chevy parts department would be HAPPY to sell one, EVEN to a Tundra owner ;)

1offroader
  • ggesqggesq Member Posts: 701
    "Belias likes to twist what we say around to his liking so that he can try to maintain his arguments."

After spending 45 minutes catching up to where I last left off- this comment is equivalent to the pot calling the kettle black. :P

"Bottom line:
    Toyota is "Fugly", Inside and out. Fast? yes, Powerful? Yes. Reliable? Remains to be seen. Better? Nope. Ugly? In every way possible.

I have asked several times...Doesn't Toyota believe in body lines? And nice front end!!! haha. Oh, and don't get me started on that really stupid, ugly and poorly layed out interior."

IMHO, neither truck outshines the other in exterior or interior looks. The Tundra's quality and materials are better on the inside. The dash on the Tundra is a little ackward i.e. you better have long arms to reach those nobs but otherwise it is big and brawny looking. The faux wood in the Silvy is really poor but the dash is driver oriented. The polished silver dash components in the Tundra are definately a sign of the times similar to what is found in the Lincoln MKZ and Lexus IS.
    Toyota will generally have a more reliable vehicle compared to that of GM. Tundra wins there even if it is new- Toyota's reputation for quality and dependability speaks for itself and the previous generation Tundra even with the recalls is one of the most reliable trucks on the road today.
    Front end wise, Tundra looks like a wanna be Ram and the Silvy looks like a wannabe Ford Fusion.
    Bottom line- both are good trucks. Use your $$ and buy what makes you happy.
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    Having driven light trucks since I got my license 25 years ago, and having owned full-size pickups exclusively since 1990 (you can see all of them at my CarSpace page), I think I'm qualified to say that the hp/torque numbers of any given engine are meaningless to compare to another engine.

Two factors will determine the "strength":
    1 - usable power
    2 - power-to-weight ratio of the vehicle

Most of these new V8s, starting with the GM triplets (4.8/5.3/6.0) and reinforced by the Dodge 5.7, are bragging these high hp numbers. All of these engines make that hp at VERY high rpm. I'll ask the truck owners here to watch their tach during a typical day's driving - I can almost guarantee that 90% of the time, the tach is under 3000. How often are you going to be at 4500-5500 rpm to "use" that horsepower rating?

And the vehicle itself certainly makes a difference. A 400-horse engine in a 6000 pound truck will NOT be faster than a 335-horse engine in a 5000 pound truck, if tire size and transmission/axle gearing are the same.

Probably no surprise that for the last 11 years, I've driven a diesel-powered pickup. I get all the hp and torque in an rpm range that I actually drive. I get better (I won't say "great") fuel economy than a gas engine of similar hp output if installed in the same truck. I get maximum torque down low that will get me off the line - I surprised a Z28 at a green light with a 180-hp Cummins in my 1996 Ram... yes he caught me, but I got to the speed I wanted without holding up traffic.

Having said that, the proper way to compare the Tundra and the Silverado/Sierra will be with similarly-equipped equivalent-body trucks, the same driver, and a test course that best resembles everyday driving. Acceleration times taken at a drag strip don't impress me. And I think it's safe to say that for the majority of people in the full-size half-ton market, they will never notice the power differences between these trucks unless they are constantly flooring the go-pedal... which will lead them to wonder why their mileage is so bad.

kcram - Pickups Host
  • titancrewtitancrew Member Posts: 17
    1) Tundra do have "cargo management" option, it's called deck rail system. Nissan had this first btw.
    http://www.toyota.com/tundra/options.html

2) Personally, I prefer the front hinge doors on the Tundra. Don't have to open front doors first before you can open rear doors. Plus the B-pillar probably helps the structural integrity of the Cab.

5) All Tundra engines have DOHC, 4valves per cylinder. GM gassers still have cam in block and 2 valves per cylinder. Only DURAMAX have 4 valves...only because Isuzu help design it. :-)

6) Tundra gets better gas mileage in real world (Trailer Boats, Edmunds) testing. EPA estimates are just that...estimates.

13 & 14) Remote start and satellite radio is available on Tundra
    http://www.toyota.com/tundra/accessories.html

16) I've seen the new Tundra and Silverado in the same showroom and the body gaps of either one did not jump out at me...so unless someone has taken some gap measurements, this is just speculation. Toyota claimed they made the gap bigger on purpose, but how do we know the gaps are larger than the Silverado's. Get tape out and go measure it.

17) Why is 6 bolts better? 5 bolts can be just as strong or stronger than 6 bolts. Ford and Dodge 1/2 tons uses 5 bolts with no problems. Last Gen Tundra had 6 bolts. Maybe they found that 5 is just as good.

Tundra has FRONT and rear sonar...is that available on Silverado?
    Tundra has backup camera without NAVI...is that available on Silverado?

Get you facts straight.

Oh, BTW...my Titan have the electronic locking rear diff...still haven't need to use it yet. Electronic limited-slip a.k.a ABLS (same as Auto LSD on Tundra) and 4-lo have gotten me through a muddy stream up to the hubs and up a wet grassy slope just fine. My dad's '90 Toyota 4x4 with open diffs actually got up that hill better (very little tire slip) than my Titan. He thinks it's because his Toyota is much lighter than My Titan. But I think better tires than the BFG Rugged Trails would help more.
    kcram - you are, of course, correct. See my earlier posts on the subject. I'd be perfectly satisfied if all truck makers called a truce in the horsepower wars and waged a fuel economy war. That would be truly meaningful to all but the most wealthy drivers.

BTW, the diesel is the wave of the future. Hybrids are too complex IMO. Hybrid may even be just an interim technology. But diesels have a lot of untapped potential for both power and fuel economy.

Give me a 250 hp diesel with 450 ft lbs. at 1800 rpm and and an honest 30 mpg highway and I'd be one happy camper.

1offroader
    Take a look at the Dyno graphs from Edmunds. The Titan 5.6L and the Tundra 5.7L engines have way more power down low than the GM 6.0L V8 (50+ @ 4k RPM). Too bad they don't have the data all the way down to about 1500 rpm. I suspected that Nissan under-rated the Titan's V8 as soon as I bought one. No way 305hp runs away from Hemi's 345hp. Nissan needs to add VVT to the Titan engine to improve high RPM Power. It's the high RPM that the Tundra engines runs away from the Titan. I'm still waiting for Toyota to put their new 4.5L V8 Turbo Diesel in the 1/2 ton Tundra. I'll buy that one!
    "1) Tundra do have "cargo management" option, it's called deck rail system. Nissan had this first btw.
    http://www.toyota.com/tundra/options.html"

My mistake. I missed that on the Toyota site.

"2) Personally, I prefer the front hinge doors on the Tundra. Don't have to open front doors first before you can open rear doors. Plus the B-pillar probably helps the structural integrity of the Cab."

If I need 4 doors, I would get a proper crew cab. Entry/Exit on the those mini doors is terrible. Your comment on structural integrity is not based on any factual data. GM has had extended cabs with clamshell openings for years and their are no structural integrity issues.

"5) All Tundra engines have DOHC, 4valves per cylinder. GM gassers still have cam in block and 2 valves per cylinder. Only DURAMAX have 4 valves...only because Isuzu help design it."

Your response has nothing to do with my point that Toyota's 4.7 uses a belt instead of chains. As far as I am concerned, I hope GM stays with overhead valve for their trucks. The OHC/OHV argument has been done to death.

"6) Tundra gets better gas mileage in real world (Trailer Boats, Edmunds) testing. EPA estimates are just that...estimates"

Sorry read my post carefully. The 5.7 Tundra does not get better real world mileage than the 5.3 Silverado. Trailer Boats and Edmunds never tested the 5.3 Silverado.

13 & 14) Remote start and satellite radio is available on Tundra
    http://www.toyota.com/tundra/accessories.html

My mistake again.

"16) I've seen the new Tundra and Silverado in the same showroom and the body gaps of either one did not jump out at me...so unless someone has taken some gap measurements, this is just speculation. Toyota claimed they made the gap bigger on purpose, but how do we know the gaps are larger than the Silverado's. Get tape out and go measure it."

I've seen them as well and it is pretty evident that the gaps are larger on the Tundra. Toyota even acknowledged thsi fact when they claimed that designed the larger gaps purposely for a tougher look.

17) Why is 6 bolts better? 5 bolts can be just as strong or stronger than 6 bolts. Ford and Dodge 1/2 tons uses 5 bolts with no problems. Last Gen Tundra had 6 bolts. Maybe they found that 5 is just as good.

Are you serious? All heavy duty trucks have 6 bolts. Why do you think that is? your stretching on this one.

"Tundra has FRONT and rear sonar...is that available on Silverado?"
    The Silverado has rear sonar. What is Front sonar for?

Tundra has backup camera without NAVI...is that available on Silverado?"
    I don't think it is.

"Get you facts straight."

Hey I'm willing to admit when I've posted something that is not factual, which is more than I can say for most people on this board.

"Oh, BTW...my Titan have the electronic locking rear diff...still haven't need to use it yet. Electronic limited-slip a.k.a ABLS (same as Auto LSD on Tundra) and 4-lo have gotten me through a muddy stream up to the hubs and up a wet grassy slope just fine. My dad's '90 Toyota 4x4 with open diffs actually got up that hill better (very little tire slip) than my Titan. He thinks it's because his Toyota is much lighter than My Titan. But I think better tires than the BFG Rugged Trails would help more."

Just because you don't think a rear locker is useful does not take away the fact that Silverado has it available and the Tundra does not.
    Toyota's and Nissan's DOHC have more Low-end torque than GM's OHV. Isn't OHV supposed to have more Low-end torque?

Did you measure the gaps? Let's see some numbers.

Since that last gen Tundra had 6 bolts wheels, does that make it more capable than the current gen or more heavy duty? I guess the Tacoma must be a HD truck too. My point is that Ford and Dodge have used 5 bolts for years with no problems. HD pickups have 8 bolts btw.

Tundra with 5.7L also have 10.5" ring gear. All other have 9.5" ring gear. To get 9.5" ring gear on GM, you need to order the Tow Package and that's the largest one available.
    Front sonar for parking/slow speed maneuvering. There's been more than a few times when I wished my Titan had front sonars in tight spaces. It's hard to judge the where the front bumper is on a big truck.

Let's see some real world mpg numbers for the GM 5.3L V8. My Titan Crewcab 4x4 is averaging about 14mpg (actually 13.8, but what's a couple of tenths). That's about 75% city, 25% highway. And that number is from my calculations not the on-board computer (My Titan don't have one anyway, so I keep track of the MPG at every fill-up). I bet the 5.3 would have a difficult time achieving the EPA estimates.
    titancrew, every vehicle for sale today would have a hard time ahieving the over-inflated EPA estimates. The EPA formula used to 2008 is more realistic. Besides, I said it had the best mileage based on EPA in the full size truck industry, which is true.

The 5.3 is the engine I would get if I was buying a Silverado today. I have no need for the 6.0. The 5.3 is by far the most popular configuration that the GMT900's are sold. Its got a very good combination of power and fuel economy, which will only get better when it gets the 6-speed auto in 2008.

Front sonar sounds useful and I can see the benefit of it.
    "Toyota's and Nissan's DOHC have more Low-end torque than GM's OHV. Isn't OHV supposed to have more Low-end torque?"

titancrew, did I ever say OHV has more low-end torque? Anyone who makes those kinds of blanket statements about OHV or OHC with respect to any performance characteristics would be wrong.

"Did you measure the gaps? Let's see some numbers"
    Go look for yourself. I don't need to measure the see what is obvious. I can also tell you a Lexus LS had tighter gaps than a Cadillac STS without measuring.

"Since that last gen Tundra had 6 bolts wheels, does that make it more capable than the current gen or more heavy duty? I guess the Tacoma must be a HD truck too. My point is that Ford and Dodge have used 5 bolts for years with no problems. HD pickups have 8 bolts btw."

What would you rather have if given the choice, a 5 bolt wheel or a 6 bolt wheel?
  • dieselonedieselone Member Posts: 5,729
    GM needs the 6 speed for the 5.3 and 6.0 big time. My 5.3 powered suburban w/ trailer tow package w/ 3.73 gears struggles to pull my near 5000lb boat through the hills.

A friend of mine tows a boat that is about 1000lbs heavier than mine with an Armada and he just smokes me in the hills. I struggle to maintain 45 and he's cruising at 60+ up the same hill.

Two problems hurt the 5.3 while towing. Torque peak at 4000+rpm. I don't care what the torque curve shows, this engine needs to rev for power. Off idle torque is good but midrange lacks punch until 3500+rpm. Add this to tall gearing and wide ratio spacing and the hills become a problem when towing, unless you don't mind listening to the engine scream at 5000+rpm on a 100 degree day.

When I've driven the Armada, it feels like it's packing a big block. So much off the line and midrange torque plus aggressive gearing. 1 extra gear makes a big difference, particularly when towing. I'd put nissan's 5.6 w/5pseed in my suburban over my 5.3/4speed or 6.0/4speed any day.

Just wish I could get a diesel in an Expedition or Suburban.
    but the exterior (in person) is ugly!

In person? Well maybe when you are standing in front of it.
    "Tundra has FRONT and rear sonar...is that available on Silverado?"
    The Silverado has rear sonar. What is Front sonar for?

Blonde women drivers? hahaha Now dat's funny, I don't care who ya are, dat's funny...Git-R-Done!!!
    Front sonar for parking/slow speed maneuvering. There's been more than a few times when I wished my Titan had front sonars in tight spaces. It's hard to judge the where the front bumper is on a big truck.

Then you shouldn't be driving a truck. I have been driving a full size truck since 1990 and I NEVER have a problem. I can pull to within 2 inches of a wall or car in front of me without bumping it or seeing it. Learn to drive.
    I can't argue this one, but later this year, it won't be an issue. The GM's will be using a 6-speed automatic. So, for the next few months, Toy has the advantage here. For me, a 4-spd will be sufficient since I only tow about 3500#'s and I have the 6.0l.
  • maple2maple2 Member Posts: 177
    Its really hard to like the silvy/sierra to get the same capabilities you need to pay extra for a 6.0 and not have the same towing acceleration or standard safety features in the tundra.

why is it hard to like the sily/sierra because you have to pay extra for the 6.0? Is toyota giving the 5.7 for free?
    the ext. cab 5.3 sierra is priced around the same as a 5.7 dc tundra. 6.0s runs for 3k more

Sierra/silverado with the 5.3 engine doesnt really stand out vs. the titan tundra and hemi which are priced around the same or lower. The 6.0 has less power and doesnt peak torque lower then the 5.7 tundra and averages 2-3 mpgs less then the tundra in most tests & has restricted power to extend drivetrain durability.
  • maple2maple2 Member Posts: 177
    the ext. cab 5.3 sierra is priced around the same as a 5.7 dc tundra. 6.0s runs for 3k more

Thats odd, I just built a tundra with the 5.7 and a silverado with the 6.0 on their respective sites, and the tundra was almost 1000 more. No extra options just the engines silverado crew cab= 45400 tundra dc =46210 (canadian dollars)

& has restricted power to extend drivetrain durability.

you see that is the difference, assuming your explanation of the delay is to extend durability instead of the gm reason of fuel economy, what ever the reason it dosent matter 6.0 liter= proven workhorse... 5.7liter toyota= proven 1/4 mile champ for the next couple monthes anyway. if you need to put your foot to the floor to get moving (which is where this delay happens) than you need a bigger truck period. I pull a 6500lb trailer with my avalanche and have never needed to put my foot to the floor if i found myself doing this i would go to a 2500 silverado.
    Well said Maple2...

3k more?? Get a clue!! Funny, when I ordered mine, I got the 6.0 L76 package, which BTW includes MUCH MORE than just the bigger engine for a whopping $909.
    It also includes External engine oil cooler, External Tranny cooler, SD Tranny, HD rear diff (which also has a rear locker) and 4 wheel disc brakes, which they all should have, so this isn't an advantage over Toyota, just mentioning it because it is included in the L76 pkg.

Does the Tundra's 5.7 have ext engine oil cooling? Ext Tranny cooling?
    I know they don't off the rear locker.
    Ok, Tundra shoppers, who can tell me how much you actually pay (forget msrp, invoice, etc, I want actual sales price) for a fully loaded Tundra 5.7 Crewmax.
    the tundra does have engine oil cooling and tranny cooling, rear diff is HD same size as a dana 60-70 4 13inch+ brakes, prewired for brake controller also.

A sr5 5.7 DC tundra with TRD, camera, sonar, 6 cd plyr w/ aux,fog lights engine and fuel tank skid plates run for 31k

a ext. cab 5.3 silverado with the same options and safety options like stabilitrak engine block heater 3.73 axle ratio and safety package & reg cloth seats puts you at 33k msrp Sonar and rear view camera not included
  • gtoskylinegtoskyline Member Posts: 68
    A-Trac performs much better than rear-differential locker alone in most situations.
    We can debate Silverado vs Tundra until we are blue in the face and I don't think anyone will change their mind in either direction. Both are very good trucks, thats for sure.

Why don't we try making some predictions. How Many Tundra's do you think Toyota will sell in 2007?

I'll stick my neck out first.

Tundra 2007 Sales = 155,000
    You didn't answer my question. How much would I have to actually pay for a Tundra 5.7 Crewmax, fully loaded? Don't give me msrp numbers for GM's, they are NOT what you pay. I paid Invoice less $2000 (rebates) and got 0% for 36 months on my GMC Sierra SLT 6.0l fully loaded.
    I want to know if I had chosen the equally equipped Tundra, how much more or less I would have paid. Simple as that.
    A-Trac performs much better than rear-differential locker alone in most situations

You are comparing 2 different things here. The GM's have the same technology as Toyota (Stabilitrak), they just use different terminology. PLUS, they have Rear lockers (available) and Autotrac 4x4 transfer case (std on all 4x4's).
    I'll predict the GMC Sierra alone will outsell the Tundra (Not including Silverado sales).
    Actually, that is incorrect... the Silverado is 229.9" and the Tundra is 228.7" (crew cabs for both). So, the Tundra is getting a total of 4.2" extra inches from the space they're using than the Silverado. That is getting 6" interior - 3" exterior + 1.2" shorter than the SIlverado...
  • gtoskylinegtoskyline Member Posts: 68
    Looks like you don't understand how A-Trac works. Thhe Active Traction Control, is not the regular power-cutting traction control, and also has nothing to do with VSC.

" Active-TRAC (A-TRAC) is the system for off-road 4WD vehicles. This system consists of independent four wheel brake control system and engine torque control system. This system applies the brake to any spinning wheel, and sends torque to the other wheels with grip. Therefore, the vehicle gets strong LSD(Limited Slip Differential) effect, and it has the same traction performance as a center and rear differential locked vehicle. "
This discussion has been closed.