Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Tundra vs. Chevrolet Silverado

Comments

• jreaganjreagan Member Posts: 285
    But it's still "Butt-Spanking" ugly IMO. Looks like a Tacoma on steroids. Where's the originality? But that's good, because it'll make my Sierra all that much better looking on the road. Kinda like the fat, ugly girl in the bar makes the good lookin ones even better looking.
  • rorrrorr Member Posts: 3,630
    "I agree with this statement 100%. The Tundra is certainly not a "wannabe" truck. It is also not second coming of full size pickups. It is a very strong entry in the full size market. However, the GMT900's are still the 500 pound gorilla in this market with respect to market coverage, breadth of configurations, sales, and capability from 1/2 ton through to HD."

Ah, common ground.

Yes, it's NOT the second coming.

Yes, it IS a strong entry in the market.

Yes, the GM's are the 500 pound gorilla.

Consider, before GM only had to worry about Ford and (to a lesser extent) Dodge. I think that with Toyota finally offering a TRUE strong entry in the segment, that it will only force GM to stay at the very top of their game.

And that is good for everybody.
  • pmuscepmusce Member Posts: 132
    "Brakes are 13+inches and stop the heavier tundra as quick or quicker then the sierra/silverado."

I've seen this posted several times and its false. In both the Car and Driver and Motor Trend comparisons, Silverado outbraked the Tundra. There is alot more to breaking performance than the size.
  • toykickstoykicks Member Posts: 95
    I've noticed on chevys site i cant get the silvy reg cab with the 6.0 or 5.3. I also noticed non of their regular cabs can tow above 8k and have a payload of less then 2k, and a gvwr of 6400 lbs vs. tundras 7200. these are long bed reg cabs. The tundra long bed regular cab with the 5.7 is rated to tow 10800 pounds and has a payload of 2000lbs+ one thing it lacks is the fuel tank. The tank is 26 gallons vs. 34 from GMs twins. Reg cabs are used most by construction companies so you get an idea who toyota is targeting :surprise: .
  • brazosboogerbrazosbooger Member Posts: 9
    "As far as I'm concerned, both of these trucks are essentially equal in virtually every MAJOR way.

Equal? Who are you kidding. Try telling that to the Silver driver I dusted this morning. He wanted a second round and I blew him away again. He looked just like a kid that got pushed out of the swing. The new Tundra is fast, tough, and the women love it.
    "But it's still "Butt-Spanking" ugly IMO."

Here is jreagon arguing styling.

Here is the sound of one hand clapping.

Anyone notice a similarity?
  • titancrewtitancrew Member Posts: 17
    The Tundra stopped better (shorter) than the silvy in 2 comparison test (Edmunds and Popular Mechanics). Edmunds had some negative comments about the silvy brake feel too.
    Impala name has no bad "bias", it has always been associated with a great car. First gen Impalas have collector written all over them and are commanding big bucks in the classic car market. Can the Tundra say that? Bad example on your part there. No negative connotation in that name. That's why they keep bringing it back. I think it would have behooved Toyota to rename the Tundra.

I don't think GM will say the Camry leads the Impala in any category except sales.

Again, based on my experience, the Impala is a better car. It rides nicer, is roomier, and has smoother power from a very good 200hp 3.8 liter V6. Great value too, it is a fully loaded LS with heated leather and power roof and it only cost me $22K brand new.
    Larger brakes are also better at dissipating heat. Something to consider when prolonged brake usage may be necessary.
    Edmunds is known to be biased against GM and all domestics. They must get more ad $$$ from Toyota.
    Their opinions mean nothing.

I didn't see the article on braking comparos, I am going by what other posts have said. Again, I think both are probably equivalent in the real world anyway. I do know that the "mushiness" that GM's are known for is gone in the new trucks however.
    Larger brakes are also better at dissipating heat.

Not necessarily. There is more to it than that. Plus, the Tundra weighs more and therefore needs to dissipate more heat at EVERY single brake application, not just when towing.
    Here is the sound of one hand clapping.

Oh, how clever, did you think of that one all by yourself? What's your other hand doing? hmm?
    yeah i noticed a few tests saying the tundra feels like and handles more like a 3/4 ton truck. Trailer boats said it felt more confident in towing 8k? vs. the sierra/silverado. The truck they tested was almost 6k. I'm guessing the crewmax 4x4 tundras will be at 6k really heavy for a 1/2 ton.
    He said "Major" way, trucks are meant for hauling and towing, NOT streetlight racing. Most V6 cars will beat either of these trucks anyway. So what's the point?

The new Tundra is fast, tough, and the women love it

You keep telling yourself that, I am sure the women will be pounding your door down...hahahaha
    "I don't think GM will say the Camry leads the Impala in any category except sales."

IF this is the case, then the Impala is destined to always trail the Camry in sales. The best way to keep or improve your market share is to make HONEST assessments of the competition. Hopefully, GM has the balls to do this. I'm not sure their fans do.

Regarding eliminating names due to negative connotation: this implies that the general public is stupid enough to NOT see through this. You must think full-size truck owners are a pretty low brow bunch if this would have somehow fooled anyone.....

BTW - regarding the Impala: if it's such a great value and such a great car, why does the Camry thrash it in sales? "Perceived" reliability (kinda like your issue of "perceived" ruggedness). If this is the case, one could say the Impala has a loooooooooong way to go....
    14.8-14.6 1/4 mile times is pretty quick for a truck that weighs 5800+ pounds. thats faster then most 4 bangers and v6 sedans. I always have dumb [non-permissible content removed] people trying to race their diesel trucks and 1/2 tons. And most of them are chevy owners. Theyre worst then civic owners lol
  • brazosboogerbrazosbooger Member Posts: 9
    It handles loads like a 3/4 ton truck.
    It turns sharp as a swather, and corners like it is riding on rails.
    BTW - regarding the Impala: if it's such a great value and such a great car, why does the Camry thrash it in sales?

Let's stick to trucks, but if/when you want to compare sales in cars, let's compare sales from each in the entire segment, not on one particular model. GM has more models, so obviously the sales are spread out thinner. But again, this is not about cars.
    The only thing I will challenge you to a race with doesn't even have wheels, except when it's on it's trailer. Highways are not playgrounds, you people need to grow up. Trucks are for hauling toys, not being them.
  • maple2maple2 Member Posts: 177
    Oh, how clever, did you think of that one all by yourself? What's your other hand doing? hmm?

nice one jreagan :P
    Try telling that to the Silver driver I dusted this morning.

Hey Jeff Gordon, how do you think you'll do when you go up against a Sierra Denali? 400+HP, 400+lb-ft of torque, lighter, AWD and also has a 6-spd tranny. I know where to put my money. Oh and BTW, better enjoy your "fast" truck while you can, because within a year, it will be "leapfrogged" just like everyone else's has been over the past decade. Within this year alone, GM plans to offer the 400+hp 6.2 with the 6 spd in ALL of the 1/2 tons. Better get out there and collect those wins while ya can.
    Consider, before GM only had to worry about Ford and (to a lesser extent) Dodge. I think that with Toyota finally offering a TRUE strong entry in the segment, that it will only force GM to stay at the very top of their game.

And that is good for everybody.

This is true, and it will keep GM AHEAD of Toyota.
  • murphydogmurphydog Member Posts: 735
    jreagan,

Just curious, if the general rolled out the late 70's LUV with the Silverado name plate on it would you buy? Your love of the general is clear, and if I were GM I would love to have you as a customer.

Don't get me wrong, the new Silvy is a great truck, as is the Tundra. But your continued assertions that the Silvy is like a top NY steakhouse and the Tundra is like a $2.99 all you can eat buffet is just plain wacky - unless of course you would buy from GM no matter what.
    Nope, my bias is 100% based on personal experience...Period. Until the GM's disappoint me, they have my loyalty. My last 2 trucks and my last 2 cars (wife's) have ALL been absolutely SUPER to me. NO major issues with ANY of them, and even the minor items I can count on one hand. Am I just lucky? Maybe, but until my luck runs out, I will keep buying them.
  • murphydogmurphydog Member Posts: 735
    don't you suspect that same thing holds true for most people - buy what you like till it lets you down?
    Of course. My main purpose here is NOT bashing Toy, it is defending GM. The Toy bashing is a result of having to defend unsubstantiated GM bashing. Take the time and go back to the beginning of this very long thread and you will see that the Toy loyalists started GM bashing long before I started Toy bashing.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,256
    nice honda generator. :P
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    "I've noticed on chevys site i cant get the silvy reg cab with the 6.0 or 5.3. I also noticed non of their regular cabs can tow above 8k and have a payload of less then 2k, and a gvwr of 6400 lbs vs. tundras 7200. these are long bed reg cabs. The tundra long bed regular cab with the 5.7 is rated to tow 10800 pounds and has a payload of 2000lbs+ one thing it lacks is the fuel tank. The tank is 26 gallons vs. 34 from GMs twins. Reg cabs are used most by construction companies so you get an idea who toyota is targeting"

toykicks, you have to realize GM has regular 2500 HD pickups as well. Anyone who needs a serious regular cab work truck buys these and their capabilities far exceed the Tundra. Toyota is trying to cover as much of the market they can with their 1/2 ton Tundra, GM does not have to do that because they have 2500 and 3500 HD to sell as well.
    "It handles loads like a 3/4 ton truck.
    It turns sharp as a swather, and corners like it is riding on rails. "

Do you know the capabilities of a 3/4 ton truck? The maximum trailer weight for a 2500 HD Silverado with the 6.0 V8 is 12,700 pounds, 2,200 pounds more than Tundra. The maximum payload for a 2500 HD Silverado with the 6.0 V8 is 3,892 pounds, the maximum for the Tundra is 2,065 pounds. The 1/2 ton Silverado has a higher maximum payload than the Tundra as well at 2,160 pounds.
    thats a Regular cab right?

the 1/2 ton silverado does have a higher maximum payload cap but not in their long bed reg cabs.

payload varys by leaf springs. Dont know why toyota didnt put some heavier duty leaf springs.
    Try telling that to the Silver driver I dusted this morning. He wanted a second round and I blew him away again.

Hey "booger"!!

That's nothing, yesterday I was driving my Corvette pulling a 6000# trailer, you should have seen the look on the face of the guy in the Supra next to me with only a 5000# trailer in tow. It was unbelievable!!!

Does this story sound ridiculous? Not any more ridiculous than trucks streetlight racing.
  • geo9geo9 Member Posts: 735
    Your wasting bandwidth with the toyota salesfolks (dreasdad
    + kdh) and the NON truck owners that are posting here.....

You and I know and actually OWN....O-W-N !!!!!!!!!!
    the BEST truck on the planet. Unlike the armchair quarterback crew here............

Well at least toyota is gonna take ANOTHER crack at the full
    size market. They MAY get it right someday !
    But I need it TODAY ie: large towing cap., big payload,
    along with a BIG FAWR (front axle weight rating) to carry
    a snowplow. Maybe the toyota guys think having 2 out
    of 3 make that truck "the best".

But to be fair I DO OWN a 3/4 ton !
    But to be fair I DO OWN a 3/4 ton !

What year? Brand new bodystyle? Just curious.
    "Well at least toyota is gonna take ANOTHER crack at the full size market."

To be correct (we DO want to be correct in here, correct?), the current Tundra is Toyota's crack at the 1/2 ton full-size market.

If your needs are better met with a 3/4 ton (which, apparently they are) then obviously a Toyota will not meet your needs. Perhaps we should revisit this discussion when Toyota releases a 3/4 ton model?

btw - I've been meaning to ask (and this has NOTHING to do with trucks), when you type your posts, why do you put a 'return' at the end of each line? Everybody else's post fit whatever width the text box is, but yours are always shorter?
    "Perhaps we should revisit this discussion when Toyota releases a 3/4 ton model? "

Quite the quote.........But by the that time I will
    prob. be in a nursing home.............

"the current Tundra is Toyota's crack at the 1/2 ton full-size market. "

Yea..They keep trying..I can give them that !
    Untill the current 07.......The t-100 was a joke, then the
    1st tundra edition with its 7/8 size, no FACTORY trailering
    platform, low payload and towing numbers.......
    Not to mention NO snowplow prep. pkg (still none)
    like GM and Ford on a 1/2 ton............

There is a pic of a new tundra frame on a plowing forum.
    Hmmm....The posters are commenting on NO front frame
    horns ahead of the front axle?
    (Will post link) So nowhere to mount the plow????????
    My 2 cents on plowing....

If I planned to put a plow on my truck, I would opt for the 3/4 ton. But I like to always err on the side of caution. Get more truck than you need and it will last longer, push the threshold of capability and it will not last as long. Basic common sense, especially when these 1/2 tons (ALL of them) are all over-rated in towing cap and hauling anyway. That is why I keep saying that the comparison between 10,800 lbs vs 10,500 lbs is a bogus comparison.
    i HAVE had LOTS of trucks !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    ALL bought NEW!
    2 toyotas(They were enough of a rustbucket headache so
    never bought another !)
    2 S-10s
    The next ALL were snowplow, tow rigs.......
    2 1/2 ton 90 + 97 GMs
    1 1/2 94 GMC Yukon.....LOVED that truck but by the time in
    97 when it was trade time they were assembled in mexico so
    FORGET that !
    2001 Chevy 3/4 x-cab 4x4
    Current:
    2004 Chevy 3/4 x-cab 4x4

Now waiting for the inventory of GMT-900 3/4s to build up
    and on the hunt for either a Chevy or GMC 2500 x-cab,
    loaded, cloth interior and gotta have the WORK goodies
    ie: plow prep., tow pkg..................
    Its gotta be black too !!!!!!!! :P
    "Not to mention NO snowplow prep. pkg (still none)
    like GM and Ford on a 1/2 ton............ "

I'm curious: what % of GM and Ford 1/2 ton trucks are sold with a snowplow prep. pkg?

Perhaps Toyota felt that there wasn't enough demand to merit the development of such a package.
    If the most you sell is a shade over 100k units
    why bother?
    If it took them SEVERAL years to have
    a factory installed trailer platform....why bother?
    If it took several years to build up your truck to
    at least have equal (or slightly better) towing cap.
    and/or payload cap. that the others have had from
    jumpstreet.......why bother????????

And on and on.............

Take a trip to any GM lot here in SNOWLAND NY or
    even GM Buypower (zip 13074). Please note ALL fullsize GM 4wd drive trucks up here (if the pkg. is avail.) are plow prep. option equipped............

toyota still has a wimpy FAWR and still can't handle
    snowplow duty like the Ford, GM, or Mopar..........
    toyota knows this...therefore NO plow prep. pkg OR
    snowplow related warranty repairs................

But you salesfolks and NON truck owners can banter on
    here and other forums till the cows come home........

I enjoy the read !!!!!!!!!!! :P
    The new tundra comes ready for snow plow install. Toyota made sure of this since the old one got bashed for not being available.

found one already available for the 07 tundra

http://www.fisherplows.com/pdf/29567.01_021507.pdf
    Hmmm they removed the toyota tundra first impressions done by Rick Titus. Well i posted a vid earlier from a automotive journalist bashing the new Tundra Turns out this guy "rick titus" is one of the top automotive journalist for Car and driver,popular mechanics & Motor trend and FoMoCo aka Ford. This guy is also into bestiality so i guess he makes a great sponsor for Ford trucks :P .

I wouldnt judge to quickly bashing a frame which hasnt even come out yet its plain retarded wait a few months. The frame isnt old technology. Toyota tore up a few F150s and Dodge rams and sierras before launching the new Tundra so they know what their doing.
  • rockyleerockylee Member Posts: 14,014
    pmusce, thanks for doing some homework. I've been gone for a while and missed 534 posts. Holy Cow a week and a half and that many posts. :surprise:

I priced up a Sierra Denali, on the website all I got to do is decide if I want to pull the trigger. With $2.50 gas and no signs of declining that might be a very expensive choice. :sick:

Rocky
    Time will only tell.
    Big Daddy Diesel :) How are you doing pal. You dropped off the map. I'm glad to see you back. Hope all is well with you pal :)

Rocky
    Toyota loyalists like to quote insignificant "numbers" which, when put into perspective, do NOT correlate to a better or more capable truck. Common sense seems to be lacking among this Tundra crowd.

Ok? why doesnt it correlate to be a better truck? We're talking about 1/2 tons not 3/4 tons. The majority of the the 1/2 tons being sold will be ext. cabs with the 5.3 engine. the 6.0 still lacks in overall power vs. the tundra and the tundra isnt piggy backed or averages 12mpg and this is coming from a truck which weights 300-400 pounds more and the higher gear ratio doesnt help either.
    I got every option minus cargo management and priced out at $48,700. Black on Tan. I of course would get few accessories like Tonnaneu cover or like system, Chrome gas cap because I'm a Generation Xer and like the bling bling :P and perhaps a few other accessories. ;)

I do get GMS pricing and figure to save around $6500-$7500K off MSRP minus rebates. I think I get discounts on factory accessories also. I don't have a 99' or newer vehicle to trade in for the extra $1k off incentive. :(

I might just wait for the 2-mode hybrid Sierra Denali. I guess if I could get a deal on a factory warranty to cover me 6 year 100K it would be a easier pill to swallow. I will most definitly check into buying one soon. ;)

The 2008' CTS is my other option and I would like to know if the Buick Velite Convertible might get made still. Rumors on the net and in mags are holding me in suspense. :surprise:

Rocky

http://www.gmc.com/sierra900/denali/ -You can build it now on the GMC website ;)
    "Toyota loyalists like to quote insignificant "numbers" which, when put into perspective, do NOT correlate to a better or more capable truck."

Really?

Just out of curiosity, what DOES correlate to a better or more capable truck? The fact that it says "Silverado" instead of "Tundra" on the tailgate?
    sierra1966,

rorr, I think is very delusional cuz he dyeing of thirst as he's going to watch soon the 6.0 LS-2 or 6.2 V8 be dropped in the 09 Camaro and he's going to have to hear me tell him how good those hops taste on his account. :P

Rocky
    Told me the 5.3 V8 was going to be the base engine for the Camaro and I told him it wouldn't be because it lacked the power capability's GM needs to move forward. I told him the LS-2 or the new 6.2 last year would make it in the new Camaro. Right now the 6.0 LS-2 is the engine in the concept coupe's and convertibles. We both agreed the 3.9 or 3.6 would be the base engine. I told others on these forums like Loren, that I thought the 3.6 would be a better choice even if it costs more and thus GM, has said off the record that the 3.6 will be the base. It will also be the base engine of the ultra cool Pontiac G8.

The 6.2 engine can be tuned up quite a bit so I expect even more power in a year or two and the 6.0 might be dropped ;)

Rocky
This discussion has been closed.