Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Audi A6 Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• liferulesliferules Member Posts: 531
    I have to say, that's not too bad.

Up to 100K miles, the car has a reasonable repair history. And the warrant should have covered it up to 50K. Actually, between 50-100K, you only spent ~$600, not counting routine maintenance. I don't think one can expect a car with >100K miles to be "low cost" unless its an accord... :)
  • fox2fox2 Member Posts: 1
    At 25,000 miles my '04 A6 Avant's steering totally failed. I would be dead if I was driving on the highway.

It happen leaving my driveway to take the car for its 25M service. Any others out there with similar experience?

This is not a safe car.

I can't buy another one. This is the second new Audi I have owned that had serious failures. :lemon:
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    "Not too bad" ??

Do you really feel that way or were you kidding?
  • kirby2010kirby2010 Member Posts: 136
    It's hard for me to say how much a car with 130K miles should experience. And it's difficult, too, with out a qualitative assessment of how well the car has been maintained. My neighbor up the street never, ever, took his last car in for an oil change. A Ford - it died in place. Brand new when he bought it, too. Now he has a Mercedes, treats it with kid gloves. My 3rd car is a '93 Jeep that I bought new in the fall of '92. A couple months ago I had coolant on the driveway. $550 later a new radiator. Is that a problem? Don't know, but I do know I can't remember when I had the radiator flushed.

New battery on a four/five old car - not unreasonable, especially if you live in the north. PVC valve is (I think) a normal replacement item. Big tune up - should have known that in advance. Brakes - how do your drive? Lots of city driving? Auto or std? Timing tensioner went? Should have got your moneys worth during the big tune up.

Not saying some of this can't be chalked up to reliability but I haven't seen anyone on this board take any responsibility for any problem they encountered or acknowledged some degree of normal wear and tear.
  • wtmakpwtmakp Member Posts: 1
    I have a 99 A6 3rd seat if you are interested in it.
  • csgcsg Member Posts: 1
    Am considering a certified 03 A6 3.0. 16,000 miles @ $31,900. I liked the car but am concerned after reading all these horror stories. Should I be?
    I currently have a 2000 S80 that was also certified. It had some problems but all were corrected and the dealership handled professionally.
    Am I wrong to consider the Audi, any other recommendations?
    Thanks
  • kpk2kpk2 Member Posts: 1
    Sunroof probably needs greasing. You can take cover above mirror and dismount drive, three bolts. WD40 will help. I am guessing that mechanical gear tripped on overload tripping mechanism, but you can reset it yourself if you care about position. If you need more hints I can provide.
    Krystof
  • joeydejoeyde Member Posts: 1
    Hello, I have a 1997 Audi A6 quatro, 105,00 miles. Honestly just recently has this car begun to cost me $$ is repairs. I too have a noise in the front end. Took it to my dealer, ( only place it has been serviced) & had the service manager do a test ride with me. Here is the quote for repairs, 3 of the 4 wheels are out of round & causing a vibration, new shocks front & back are needs & a litney of other parts & labor approx $3,000. I am looking for an independent audi qualified repair shop within 25 miles of Newtown, PA. zip 18940. Can anyone help? I appreciate any leads for a my new best friend, an Audi A6 repair person. I do not think I can afford the dealer at this point?
    Thanks

Joe
  • iggybiggyb Member Posts: 1
    I bought my 2000 4.2 almost 2 years ago. During this time, I was told that I need:

2 cv boots (replace entire axle) - I did it myself and saved about $300
    rear brakes - Did it myself and saved about $600
    Pixels missing the in NAV display (warranty), but took 2x to get it right, finally had to reset the gps myself to get it working.
    MAF sensor - Warranty
    Some weird brade - $200 (Told it was cheap. yeah, right)
    Several check engine lights
    Broken tail light

The cv boot required a lot more work then anticipated so instead of saving $600, it cost me $300 as I ended up requiring helf from the dealer.

The car ride is nice. Realibility is good. The service price and quality of work is horrible. Why does a $8 braid cost $180 of service? Most dealers do not offer a loaner, and those who do are expensive.

As with one of the prior posts, I miss my old Nissan dealer. I would call them, and they would have the part in a day or two. I have a dealer who I bought from, which claims it takes them 3 weeks to get any parts, and another dealer by my house who can get the parts in 2 days. They are 15 miles apart so what gives?

I will keep my Audi, only because I will fix everything myself once the warranty runs out. (Except for engine and stuff.) I do not recommend this car for non car buffs.
  • scaplanscaplan Member Posts: 1
    Saw your post on using the Motorola V551 with the A6. I have the same phone and it's not working. Really frustrated, but perhaps i'm doing something wrong? I went to the v551's "settings" option - then to "connection" -- click on "bluetooth link" - then "setup" - then "find me". Nothing happens. Am I missing something? Any help would be hugely appreciated.
  • grandmamacgrandmamac Member Posts: 4
    My 1999 A6 Quat. (46,000 miles - 2nd car) has been treated like a princess. Easy driving, excellent maintenance. Yet today when I took it in for an oil change I was told that ALL the seals (differential, engine, cams) were leaking and that replacement would be $2300!! I said, "That's just wrong!" How can all the seals need replacement at 5 1/2 years? I was told that this is a "recognized problem with the Audi." I was assured that new and improved seals would be used as replacements and then everything should be in good shape. $2300 for seals that are recognized by Audi to be defective? Did I hear somebody mention a class action lawsuit? Anybody else have this experience?
  • gregaudia6gregaudia6 Member Posts: 7
    I have the V551 with my 2005 A6 4.2 and have had no problems except two numbers (of 49) did not down load into the directory - be sure your phone has its bluetooth power turned 'on' in 'setup'.

1500 miles in two and 1/2 weeks - and 'not one glich' since leaving the dealership. I look for reasons to drive the car (spending more time with the wife taking her on errands.)
  • jodarjodar Member Posts: 53
    Did you notice any seepage, leaks, cracks to back this up? Whatever the case, I'd get a second opinion. You know how some of these dealers will take you to the cleaners if you aren't careful. If there has been a recall issue, it should be a bulletin on the NHTSA website. Or, if you subscribe to ALLDATA.com, they should have that and any technical service bulletins applicable. If you're going to make a claim, make sure you have your oil change/service maintenence receipts to document that you have properly maintained your vehicle. Just out of curiosity, which engine do you have in your A6? I hope its not the 2.8 V6.
  • ct_driver1ct_driver1 Member Posts: 4
    General question for the board-

In January of '02, I purchaed a dealer certified '98 A6, new off lease w/ 33,600 miles. The lessee had been a client of the dealership, which was a good thing as all maintenance records were available for verification. As I am an accountant by trade, I enlisted the help of a personal friend (auto tech) to go over the exterior, check out the sterring and undercarriage, etc. The car ran like a dream the two times I test drove it, made no strange noises, passed muster on inspection (dealership even let us use their lift) and acted enough like my mother's 98 that I was satisfied it was the goods.

Within a month and less than 500 miles, I was back at the dealership complaining of a 'squeaking' noise coming from what I thought was the steering column. The dealer informed me that the car needed a tie rod assembly and new set of upper control arms (I needed my auto tech friend to interpret this for me, and basically hit the roof when I realized they were telling me the steering was effectively shot. Wallingford Porsche/Audi (where I purchased) wanted to charge me fifteen hundred bucks to fix the whole enchilada, but I screamed, pointed to my 2 year/100K mile extended warranty as well as the fact that my family was currently into them for three other Audis. They eventually fixed the problem free of charge.

The car served me reliably with absolutely NO problems until about three months ago when, you guessed it, I started to hear that same squeaking sound again. I just got around to bringing the car to the dealer yesterday (this time New Country of Greenwich) and was informed that:

1) The tie rods are shot, and that I need new assemblies;
    2) The upper control arms are shot, and I need new ones;
    3) The outer axle joint boots are shot, and I need new ones.

For this, they wanted to charge me $3,000 (labor at $250/hr!). Leaving aside the question of whether New Country is ripping my eyes out on price, I would like to know if such repairs could be construed as 'normal wear and tear' considering this is twice within 75K miles. Our roads are lousy around here, and I do go through a lot of stop/go traffic, but haven't hit any big bumps or potholes that I would construe as causing heavy damage.
  • paulmichaelspaulmichaels Member Posts: 2
    can anyone give me directions (or point me to a URL) on how to remove the plastic "dust cover" under my A-6. I would like to change my oil. I suspect this is simple-- but I don't want to mess anything up. thanks. Paul
    If you have the 2.8 V6, this is what I do..

You don't need to remove the entire engine belly pan. I did that the first time and had a bear of a time trying to get it all back. Actually, I didn't because I couldn't align the rear fasteners properly because I couldn't reach that far back and do not own a car lift or stands. Fortunately, my car was still under the service warranty, so at the next service they put everything back without question. I assume they thought the previous service guy didn't put it together during the last visit :)

What I have learned is that you need to loosen a few of the screws; just the left and front and maybe the front right side, just enough to get the cover to come down. You'll have to experiment depending on how far your reach is. Once, the screws are removed (and make sure you have them together, they're small and can get blown away), pull the belly pan cover down a little but don't apply brute force as to bend the rear attachment. You should have enough room to use a socket wrench and oil filter wrench to complete the job, as well as place a oil containment/recycling container underneath to capture your used oil.

If you're not big chested and do not have short arms, you can save on the $125 or so the dealer charges and perform this vital and easy maintenence service yourself, without even a car lift!

:D
  • paulmichaelspaulmichaels Member Posts: 2
    thanks very much-- that is just the kind of thing I am trying to learn!
  • grandmamacgrandmamac Member Posts: 4
    All of my service has been done on time or before at the Dealership that told me I needed this done. The leaks were noticed at time of service. I'm a widowed grandmother and wouldn't know a leak from condensation if my life depended on it! Final bill $2158.00 I will pursue this matter further.

I'm almost afraid to admit that it is the 2.8 V6 Sounds as though perhaps that is not a good thing. Unending troubles ahead?
  • nygalnygal Member Posts: 7
    Well I'm certainly happy to hear the 'not one glich' thing since I just ordered my 3.2, delivery for next week. I'm also glad to hear the Motorola V551 works and I'll make sure its turned "on".
    Nygal,

You're going to love it! How can you go wrong with 4 yr, maintenance included?

Best wishes.
  • patricklpatrickl Member Posts: 5
    I am looking at a certified pre-owned 2002 Audi A6 3.0 quattro, 40,700miles, grey, bose system, for $24,924. I would appreciate any comments on whether this is a good buy. I have read about other bad experiences with this model year and would like to hear other comments. Am also considering a 2002 Volvo S60 for roughly the same price but 32000 miles. Thank you.
  • gregaudia6gregaudia6 Member Posts: 7
    I use cingular service - chicagoland
  • rsantos21rsantos21 Member Posts: 5
    I have a 1999 A6 that is also giving me similar issues. When I steer to the left a creeking-noise comes from the steering wheel. The only issue is this only happens when I turn to the left. The car is at the dealer and they have told me that the tie rods are loose?? Have either of the dealers you went to brought up anything like this?
    I had a post that reported a similar steering wheel squeak. It was one of those annoying, intermittent squeaks that was hard to recreate and sounded like two separate pieces of plastic or vinyl rubbing together. Fortunately, the car was still in warranty and the dealer did some testing on it and determined it was within the steering wheel column, itself. Unfortunately, it wasn't a component that could be replaced. They had to replace the entire column at a cost of about $1600 or so. If your car is out of warranty, it will probably cost you at least that much, plus down time. As of this date, the problem has not reappeared. :)
  • duffy4duffy4 Member Posts: 18
    I just had to put in 2 quarts of oil in my wifes 2.8. About 6 months ago, all of the engine seals were replaced. It is only a 2001 with 38,000 miles. Is this the beginning of more problems? Are there known problems with the 2.8 engine?
  • wfrankiewiczwfrankiewicz Member Posts: 2
    I own an a6 and have experienced the same thing. Big cities are not much of a problem, but towns in the countryside are non-existant. Hope that Audi comes out with an update to their DVD. Regarding the Bluetooth cell, I have a Treo-650 and carrier is SPRINT. I had to download a whole new set of software (easy to do) from palm-one website for Sprint 650 to make it compatible with the audi. Now it works great!

Don't know of any other carriers or phones, but am very pleased with my set-up.
    :shades:
  • wfrankiewiczwfrankiewicz Member Posts: 2
    Has anyone heard if Audi is going to issue an update to the Navigation DVD soon?
    :confuse:
    No....but the sure need to. I wonder who we can complain to that might prompt someone to do something?
  • ct_driverct_driver Member Posts: 4
    Yes...although I've only been told tie rods and control arms in combination, never one or the other by itself.

I wound up replacing both tie rods, control arms, and CV boots (CV joints were salvaged, thank god). The way it was explained to me was as follows: the control arm is a closed mechanical apparatus that operates on a ball-and-socket principal. When the parts are manufactured, the socket is lubricated with a layer of silicon before the ball is added and the assemblage closed. The ball and socket move whenever the driver turns the wheel.

Because the control arm assemblage is closed, it is not possible to reach the joint for re-lubrication, and when the joint dries out it must be replaced at risk of cracking and loss of steering control. This 'drying-out' is what produces the squeaking (and eventually groaning if allowed to go long enough) noise as the metal ball and metal socket start rubbing together once the silicon layering is worn through.

I asked if these types of problems were the genesis of collisions/accidents/etc., or normal wear and tear. The Audi tech replied that while he couldn't peg it to mileage, he did at least two of these jobs per week-for whatever that is worth. :confuse:
  • rat3rat3 Member Posts: 1
    I am about to buy a 2001 A6 2.7T with 39,000 miles on it and wanted to know if anyone had thoughts on what extended warranty I should look into and do most cover the turbo?
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    This topic in Smart Shopper may be of interest to you.

Extended Warranties
  • marleybarrmarleybarr Member Posts: 334
    Most extended service plans will not cover the Audi twin turbo engine. Western National did cover my 2.7T and has stood behind it except for the latest incident where the "airbag" light stays on. They will not cover the $800 airbag replacement module repair.1.800.722.4758. Besides this, I would repurchase another plan from them.
  • markcincinnatimarkcincinnati Member Posts: 5,343
    . . .today my 2003 allroad was at the dealer for the installation of a defective tire pressure monitor sensor.

Phone rings and my service advisor informs me that all four of my valve stem caps are corroded onto the valve stems.

Audi advantage to the rescue? Bzzzt! Wrong.

Audi valve caps (Audi brand) on Audi valve stems are warranted for 12 months.

Period.
  • markcincinnatimarkcincinnati Member Posts: 5,343
    Update -- I appealed to Audi and they said, "sure" OK, no problem.

Wow.
  • bdkinnhbdkinnh Member Posts: 292
    How much would the repair have cost, and who did you apeal to?

Other than your wife, that is. ;)

From your many dealings with Audi, do you have a contact established already, or did you just call some 800 number? I'm trying to figure out if we would all get this treatment, or if this was a "Mark special".
  • artaarta Member Posts: 1
    Patrick, I have a 2002 A6 with 40,000 miles. Aside from a few annoying recall issues, the car has been very good. Make sure that the transmission control module has been replaced. It changes the shift pattern, a great improvement from the original factory one. Also, the ignition coils should have been replaced. Both were recall items and covered. Other than that the only problem I have had was a few burned out bulbs, wiper blades, brake lite switch and brakes all around. All items covered by the Audi warranty..which covers EVERYTHING until 4 years or 50,000 miles. The quattro is a great system, I have never come close to being stuck in snow. Good luck, Art
  • patricklpatrickl Member Posts: 5
    Thank you, Art. I will certainly look into this. I am kinda wary about this model as Consumer Reports rates the A6 as a risky buy if bought used.
  • aanantaanant Member Posts: 1
    Same problem. Verizon does not support a software protocol to transfer address book. Change service and try again.
  • tabrizitabrizi Member Posts: 1
    I have just bought an A6 Quattro 2.7T. Both the haeater and the AC work fine on the climate control, but after about 15-20 minutes of continious use, the air vents start getting blocked gradually and stop letting the air through. I turn the fan all the way up and I can hear the fan going but nothing comes out of any of the vents. Then I turn the whole system off and turn it back on after 10 mins and it's fine for another 15 mins. Anyone had that happen to them or any ideas what's causing it.
    Thanks
  • rrapprrapp Member Posts: 1
    :confuse:

I have a 2000 Audi A6 4.2 quattro, and sometimes when it's cold outside, it makes strange noise. When I turn the steering wheel to the right, it gets louder. It goes away after a while though. When I checked the steering wheel fluid reservoir, the fluid looks foamy, but there are no leaks. Air must be getting in from somewhere, but unable to find it. What do you suspect?
  • jstadlerjstadler Member Posts: 1
    I purchased a used 2001 A6 2.8 with 31,000 miles. My oil light went on at both 34,000 miles and 44,000 miles. Both occurred while driving on the highway, which I don't do often and about 4,000 miles after an oil change. The local service rep. said it was normal. When I asked the area rep., he didn't necessarily agree and thought I should keep track of oil loss.

The seals have been checked, and I see no leaking. Does this model normally eat 2 quarts of oil in 4,000 miles?

Any Thoughts?????
  • airingaairinga Member Posts: 4
    Just stumbled on this site tonight. Its nice to see that I am not alone. I have a 2000 A6 with 48,000 miles. Bought the car a little over a year ago. Did not buy the extended warranty. BIG MISTAKE.

Three weeks after driving off the lot, my water pump went out. The dealership didn't charge me. A few months went by and my rear brakes went. They fixed the problem, and didn't charge me. BUT, the mechanic that fixed my brakes told me that an inspection wasn't done on my car. The mechanic that was supposed to do my inspection didn't do it, and was since fired from his job. At this point I should have sold the car back, but I didn't.
    Last winter I paid $1300 for the cam seal issue.
    A few weeks ago I noticed a rumbling noise from the front. Something seemed very loose. Seemed like a tire was going to fall off. Took my car back to the dealership. They told me it was the tie rod. They fixed the tie rod, and I paid for it and drove it off the lot. Within 10 minutes of driving the car, I noticed the noise was louder and more constant. I drove back to the dealership and asked them to recheck the car. They then told me that I had a dent in my transmission and I needed a new one. They said the noise was coming from the differential, but caused by the transmission.
    While I was waiting to get my car back, one of the mechanics came to me and whispered in my ear "its always good to get a second opinion."
    I did. I took it to an authorized Audi dealership (not where I bought the car). They told me that I didn't not need a new transmission, they said the dent was in the pan, and the transmission was ok. BUT I did need:
    Here are the items noted that need attention on your 2000 A6:

RF lower control arm (noisy, not loose). $475.00

LF upper control arm-loose $400.00

Oil leaks from cam tensioner gaskets $1760.00

Both rear axle seals are leaking $415.00 for both

Squeak in the upper steering column $110.00 for diagnosis

Trans flush as a maintenance item $605.00 - note trans pan dented.

Isnt that great.

I told the authorized dealership that I just fixed the cam seals. They said to go back and tell them it is still leaking.

Not sure what to do at this point. Do I have any legal rights? There is a lemon law in the state where I live, but it only includes new and used cars that are still covered under warranty.

Do you think Audi can help me? Yes it is my fault that I didnt have some look my car over, and I have learned my lesson.

Just not sure what to do now.

Paid around 20-22 for the car. The place where I bought the car from told me they would give me 14 or possibly 15 if I fixed the transmission, but now when I talked to them today, they have changed their minds and are only offering $13.

Very ticked off. Will contact the attorney general and better business bureau if they cant help me with this. Terrible.

Any suggestions? Anything would be greatly appreciated.

airinga
    That is terrible experience to have all those problems occur in such rapid succession. Given this fact and provided you have the right documentation, can't you construe that your car woes were part of a continual pattern of disrepair since you purchased it? I'd start again with the dealer and tell the General Manager and/or owner that in the interest of good customer relations and publicity, that they stand by you to see to it that they do right by you. I'm not sure what it is that you are hoping for, either they fix the car whole, or refund your money, or give you another one in its place.

If the dealer won't be cooperative, then I'd file complaints with every consumer agency and contact the press and even your local call for action organization, if you have one. :mad:
    Thank you jodar for responding. I just sent an email to the owner of the business. It is a small family run operation. I hope he is willing to help me. Will post the reply if I get one.

I hate the whole car buying process. I should have been very happy with this car, its the nicest car I have ever owned. I know you dont know what you are getting when it comes to previously owned cars, but this is ridiculous.
    You might want to call Western National (the extended service plan company) 1.800.722.4758 to see about a plan because the car has less than 50,000 miles.
    thanks for the suggestion marleybarr.. I called the number today, but they said this warranty is only offered at the dealership at the time of purchase.

Called Audi today. They are checking into one of the recalls for the Front Lower Control Arm. I guess there are four arms on each wheel? Sounds like their is a major suspension problem with Audi, but only the Front LOWER control arm is covered with the recall. Of course the authorized Audi dealer where I brought my car to the other day, tells me that my lower control arm is just noisy-NOT LOOSE, so therefore they wont cover, claims the dealership. But my upper control arm IS loose, but of course that is not the arm that is covered by insurance. THis is the most ridiculous thing I have heard of. Unbelievable. This car is crap, and I cant wait to get rid of it.

The owner of the dealership where the car was purchased has responded to my letter, and he is thinking it over. Audi is calling the service dept of the authorized Audi dealer who did two of my recalls, but not the third, because it is just noisy...NOT LOOSE. please.
    My A6 has gone up to 8000 miles w/o burning 1 quart of oil. Would say that 2 quarts in 4000 miles is NOT average at all. Having the oil light go on is a very serious matter and could lead to thousands of dollars damage for your engine! If this happens, shut the vehicle off immediately and check all fluids. I check oil, brake, power steering (hydraulic), coolant, and windshield washer tank levels WEEKLY. Adding oil is cheap compared to rebuilding the Audi engine. I use Mobil 1 0W-40 synthetic and change along w/filter every 6,000 miles or so. Noticed that the synthetic seems to be easier on the engine in cold weather, makes for easier starts and initial take-offs. Probably protects better than standard oil in the hot weather as well. What grade/type of oil have you been using? This could make a difference in consumption.
  • jimmyturbojimmyturbo Member Posts: 3
    I have a '01 A6 2.7T manual transmission with about 78K...I bought it after lease (mistake one) without buying an extended warranty (mistake two).

I love the car, but it's starting to hurt. I'm willing to suck it up because I love the car, but have a problem that no one seems to be able to solve.

It doesn't happen all the time, but when I depress the clutch pedal to start the car, nothing happens. The dealer said the battery had a bad cell and replaced it (ouch), but that didn't solve the problem.

I've read about problems with the ignition switch on the boards, but they say that's OK.

Is there a sensor or relay that's bad or going bad? The dealer says they can't replicate the problem when it's in the shop.

Has anyone else had this problem? Any ideas?

thanks
  • kirby2010kirby2010 Member Posts: 136
    Jimmy - This sounds exactly like the problem I had on exactly the same model - only a couple years ago. It would take several tries pushing in the clutch and wiggling in the seat. I took the car in twice before they got it right. There is definitely a relay (I'm not a mechanic) but I think it senses that the clutch is depressed, the driver is seated, and so on. I know the first time I took it in they replaced a sensor on the clutch and it didn't solve the problem. This was about 20K miles and the only real problem I've had. I did stop by the Acura dealer today though. If I have to got with an auto this time it will likely not be Audi. Manual was big selling point for me as was Quattro. When it stops raining I'm going back to drive the RL. I really like the A6 and the 6-speed. I drive it hard - 80s regularly - and take it in every 5000 miles. But I have better things to do with my money in the next few years than maintain it.
  • duffy4duffy4 Member Posts: 18
    I have had this problem too. I just keep trying and sometimes I just take a minute, take a breath and try again. It has always started., I asked Audi about it and they told me everything checks out.