Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Audi A6 Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• kirby2010kirby2010 Member Posts: 136
    I pulled my file for part numbers. In Jan '03 they dealer replaced the ignition starter switch. Problem stated read "car always starts but sporadically ... has to be turned to start several times....

This didn't fix the problem. SECOND time I took it in they replaced the load reduction relay. This an intermittent problem and the dealer has to "stick with it". The first time the car was in was same day service. The next time was for 6 days. The service manager took the car home for a couple days and sure enough, somewhere along the way he encountered the same problem. I had a loaner for the entire time. It's been two years and no trouble.

I believe I'm reading this correctly - first part number - ignition starter switch - 4B0-905-849. Second part number - load reduction relay - 3B1-911-807-A. After they replaced the second part number the problem went away.
  • jimmyturbojimmyturbo Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for the input....I'll call tomorrow. Was it expensive to fix or were you covered by the warranty?
  • kirby2010kirby2010 Member Posts: 136
    It was under warranty but the labor listed on the work orders were 1.2 hours for the first visit and 1.3 hours for the second. The service department at my dealer charges about $95/hour. Good luck.
  • jimmyturbojimmyturbo Member Posts: 3
    Thanks...it's been fine for about a week....maybe it was the battery?? Anyway, I'll know what direction to turn if it resurfaces.
  • laura221laura221 Member Posts: 1
    Man, do I feel your pain! I have a 2000 A6 that I purchased about year and a half ago and have had nothing but problems.
    Week one should have been my tip off... the Catalyst converter went. Then to recap the past year: the interior truck release/alarm button broke, the digital dash went, the heating unit broke, the front drive shaft was replaced, the exerior door handle came loose, the rear window molding popped out... and was surprised after a weekend getaway that my car wouldn't start. It was dead in the driveway after only 4 days. The dealership said the battery was fine and the problem the battery not being fully charged before we went away. 4 days and I should expect to come home to a dead car? Give me a break.
    I do have the warrenty, but it runs out in about 4 months and I'm frightened about what is going to go wrong next. I should have kept my Lexus, I NEVER had one problem with that car.
    The latest... maybe someone can help.... the front end is making a knocking noise, it only happens when I first start driving or when I slow down... I'm not touching the brakes... so I have no idea what it could be. Has anyone had this problem?????
  • airingaairinga Member Posts: 4
    ...."Called Audi today. They are checking into one of the recalls for the Front Lower Control Arm. I guess there are four arms on each wheel? Sounds like their is a major suspension problem with Audi, but only the Front LOWER control arm is covered with the recall. Of course the authorized Audi dealer where I brought my car to the other day, tells me that my lower control arm is just noisy-NOT LOOSE, so therefore they wont cover, claims the dealership. But my upper control arm IS loose, but of course that is not the arm that is covered by insurance. THis is the most ridiculous thing I have heard of. Unbelievable. This car is crap, and I cant wait to get rid of it."............................................................

Just spoke with Audi and they cant help me on my new issues. Just think its funny that they claim the Upper Contol Arm is loose... BUT NOT COVERED by the call back. The control arm that is covered is only noisy. Not loose.

Righhht..........

Never again will I own an Audi.
  • ouchiea6ouchiea6 Member Posts: 2
    :lemon: I have twice in the last three weeks had to have my new A6 towed back for service when it would not start. It has "smart key" feature. When pushing the button would not start it, I tried the old fashion key. Not only did that not work, the car refused to release the key back to me. On top of that, the car froze in "Park", and the power would not go off, even after opening the door. By the time the car got to the dealership (90 miles away), the battery was dead. The first time the dealer ended up replacing the steering column, and I was told that fixed the problem. Not so, 200 miles later it happened again! The first time my Audi was in the shop 6 days. This time it's been gone 7 days, and I'm told it will be at least a couple of more days. The dealership has no idea as to whats causing this problem. I have contacted Audi's National Customer Service Department and registered my complaint. I understand that in NC if my auto stays in the shop for more than 20 business days in one year, I can declare it a lemon. What happens then? I understand that Audi has to buy the car back from me, or replace it. If I ask for the money I will not get what I payed for it, only it's current value. How is that determined? Blue Book Value? This Audi only has 4200 miles on it.
  • liferulesliferules Member Posts: 531
    ouchiea6,

Sorry to hear about your problems. I can only imagine having the car in the shop for so long (actually I can, but mine was due to an auto accident...). Lemon laws are different for each state. You can contact the BBB for more information for your state and sometimes they will help you with the dealership (or so I've been told). In my state, you cannot file lemon if the dealership gives you a loaner, thus you aren't stranded for 20 (or in our case, 30 days, I believe) as you have been given transportation.

I think there's a forum here on Edmunds that discusses this topic in better detail. I welcome other's comments who are more knowledgeable than I.

Hope everything works out in the end...
  • popsa6popsa6 Member Posts: 1
    Steve, youre right its a wonderfull car , fantasticly made, im sure yours was built and left the factory floor on a Tuesday!! :)

I suppose the tire thing , well you pay for what you get !
  • rking5150rking5150 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 1999 A6 quattro with about 62K miles on it. I took it in for service at my local Audi dealer for the 70K service (they performed the 60 K service AGAIN, but that's another issue), and, when I picked it up, the transmission was slipping. I brought it back, and the service advisor tells me it's going to be $8-9K for a new tranny. I called the Audi consumer "advocates" (how can they be advocates when they work for Audi?) and they completely dismissed me. They said that the age of the car was determinative. Can you believe that - 62K miles, 6 years and a transmission is supposed to die?

Anyway, after I tried again, Audi again refused to help. So, I'm taking the car to AAMCO, where they tell me they can rebuild the car for $2-3K. I'm really upset with Audi, and will never spend another dime on an Audi (this is my family's sixth car) or on Audi service.

Anyone have a similar problem with a 1999 Audi? Or any ideas on how to convince Audi to open up their pursestrings? Thanks.
  • jodarjodar Member Posts: 53
    I'd make sure that any and all transmission related service was performed before I start raising Cain about your problem. Also, I'd check alldata.com, or nhtsa for any recalls or technical service bulletin's for your model year.

After all your research proves you to be blameless, I would try shaming them by threatening to go public. Call your local call-for-action agency or other consumer protection firm and tell them about your problem. Make sure you've documented with whom you've spoken with and what was the offical response. Better to get it all in writing if it were me. In the end, what company wants bad press?
  • rking5150rking5150 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks. All services have been performed on my car, so that's not an issue. I've told Audi I won't buy another Audi. My service advisor told me that it is pretty tough to get money from Audi customer service, so I really don't think I'm going to have any luck no matter what I do. I guess I'm just better off paying AAMCO to fix my tranny and never spending another dime on VW-AUDI ever again.

If anyone wants a crushed model R8, check some landfills in the DC area!
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    Try a reccommended independant instead of a chain.
  • steveaudisteveaudi Member Posts: 1
    As some may know the Xenon headlights on the A6 adjust up or down in response to the level of the vehicle. Does anyone know what the cause might be for the lights to move to the lowest possible position and stay there? Sometimes I can get them to return to the proper elevation by turning the light switch on and off.
  • duffy4duffy4 Member Posts: 18
    I have had my new A6 for 2 weeks and the advance key no longer works. Has this happened to any of you?
  • bondguy1bondguy1 Member Posts: 231
    Are you stepping on the brake when you push the button?
    Yes, I am stepping on the brake. After your note I went out and tryed to start it again, this time stomping on the brake. No luck
  • peppertpeppert Member Posts: 4
    Advanced key quit on me, also. I have 600 miles on my 2005 A6. After using the car key in the ignition for several days, the advanced key started working again. In my case, I believe my dog jumped into the front seat and put big paws on the start and stop buttons.

Susan

PS I have an enormous clunk coming from the rear, underneath the back of the car sometimes. I wish I knew what it was.
  • ouchiea6ouchiea6 Member Posts: 2
    See Response #369, I am still waiting to get my Audi A6 out of service after 3 weeks. My smart key wouldn't start the car, so I tried the traditional key. It didn't work either. My Audi refused to let go of the traditional key on top of that. Has anyone else had this type of problem? It took over two weeks to get the same replacement part (a steering column), so I assume this must be happening to more people than just me. :sick:
  • 05a6fl05a6fl Member Posts: 4
    I have an 05 A6 and less than 1000 miles. So far so good and none of the major issues other forum members seem to have. I do have a few items though.
    (1) Smart key does not work. Even at delivery, the dealership could not get it to work. They advised me to let it settle for 20 minutes and then try again. I will be taking it back to get it looked at, but fear the steering column will need to be replaced per other members' problems! The off switch is great, but the start button refuses. I put my foot on the brake and still it fails.
    (2) The CD player. I believe that the CD player display should tell you the name of the CD and list all the tracks by name- just like Microsoft media player or all the other software players you can use on your CD. Surely you don't have to use the title function to individually name each CD and track? My dealer tells me I do
    (3) Apart from that, a classy car, sound engineering, top-end coach work and she drives like a dream- (once you can start her).
    Cheers!
    The CD player only shows text on Text-enabled CD's, which are still a rarity. Windows uses the internet to look up music titles, something your A6 can't do. You can burn CD's on your computer and it will show up on the MMI (if you burn with text enabled...its a box you have to check on most programs). Otherwise, your dealer is correct, you have to manually enter the CD titles...

Glad you're also enjoying the car...
  • kgarykgary Member Posts: 180
    My sirius radio cuts out when I go under an overpass or a tree. Does anyone else have this problem?

Kevin
  • a6woesa6woes Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 A6 2.8 L that has just under 36k miles. I had it in the shop the other day, and the mechanic told me that I was leaking oil from the cam seals. I've had my share of electrical problems under warranty with various systems (alarm system, airbags, seatbelts, ...), but now I timed out of my factory warranty. Not to mention damaging the flimsy front bumper assembly and fixing it for $1k. Anyway, from what the dealer told me and some of the info in this forum, the cam seal leakage problem sounds like a relatively common problem. The Audi dealer even noted that it was not uncommon and also noted that once they fix it, it usually holds up for a long time. Is this a factory flaw or poor quality? What's the expected life of the cam seals? Audi customer service says that they never heard of this being an issue. Am I missing something, or are they just BSing me. I guess I'm collecting anyone's input for my discussions with Audi customer service. So far, they've been blaming me for my poor maintenance for the cam seal leakage. Somehow doing my own oil changes every 3 months or 3k miles is too abusive for my A6.

Are my expectations too high for a car in this price range to go relatively problem free < 50k? I've had/have a number of different marks including VW, Acura/Honda, Nissan, BMW, and Porsche, but my A6 is the least reliable of the bunch, independant of price range. In fact outside of the typical maintenance that I take care of myself, I not had any reliability issue with any past car (except of course for my '76 Granada 20 years ago). Does my experience sound pretty typical for a Audi. :lemon: Anyone?
    Happens to me all the time under an overpass or even where there are tall trees overshadowing the street. Really annoying I must admit.
  • marleybarrmarleybarr Member Posts: 334
    I have a 2000 A6 w/77,000 miles, same cam seal and valve cover leakage issue. Audi sevice advisors have mentioned that many of the Audi engines need these repairs by 50,000 miles.(of course, just as the factory warranty ends!) I wouldn't drive one w/o a trusted independent mechanic that understands the Audi, takes VISA, and a legitimate extended service plan like Western National, (which covers this problem). 800.722.4758.

BTW, that repair is a $1500 operation at the dealer. About $85.00 for the gaskets and $1400 for the labor!
  • dplushdplush Member Posts: 9
    First, love my Audis and have not had any problems to date. Just wondering what we thought about this article...have people been noticing quality improvements

Audi's work on quality paying off; automaker sees JD Power study ...
    Kevin, this does happen and here's why. The Sirius service, just like XM is brought to you by two methods (1) Satellite and (2) Terrestrial.
    Satellites are very expensive and you can't fill the sky with them. So what XM and Sirius do is supplement the satellite service with some ground or terrestrial repeaters. Radio towers are also very expensive to erect, equip and operate. So, given the above, in most cases you will either have direct line of site to a satellite or indirect coverage from a repeater. Since the repeaters are few and far between, and a view to the sky is not always possible, you will generally lose signal when you go into a covered parking lot or are in heavy foliage. We are all used to AM and FM that is brought to us by 10 mega watt transmitters on 1000 foot masts that give signal everywhere.
    In general, satellite radio works very well, and because we paid north of $300 for our receivers and over $10 a month for listening, we will complain about the times we loose signal.

This will not solve your problem, but I hope it helps you understand we are fighting against the law of physics, the law of economics and the law in general that says thou shalt not litter the land with ugly cellular towers, radio masts, etc. This is thus not an Audi issue.
    I have used many PC-based CD players that do not call the internet for CD title info, and it displays the name of the CD and the track title, just by reading the data from the CD. Windows Media player is just one example that I have used, disconnected form the net. I believe, according to the instruction manual, I do not need to punch this info in for each CD, it shows that I can select "display title info" in the Audi MMI set up, but it does not do it.
    Thanks for your input, but I'd like to hear form other users what their CD experience is like.
    You can talk to whomever you wish. The fact remains that the CD's for the A6 need to have CD text enabling on them. We have discussed this extensively on AW in the forums there as well. This is something most current CD's don't have (you have to look at the cover when you buy the CD). Sorry you don't like my answer but that doesn't make it any less correct.

On the Real player, it is listed as a check box under edit options as "write CD text to my audio cd". I don't use the windows media player much, but I believe the box under recording options listed "burn playlists as M3U" does the trick. Try it...I did and it worked.
    We had the same problem on our 2001 a6 2.8/. We had only 35k miles. Luckily,we were two days within warranty. I believe this is a known problem with the 2,.8 egine
  • jorgetujorgetu Member Posts: 1
    Hi everybody,
    I have a 2000 Audi A6 2.7T and one day the sunroof opened all the way but when I tried to close it it wouldn't close all the way. It just goes a quarter of the way and then stops. I can open it again all the way but it won't close more than a quarter.
    Has anyone had the same problem? Is there a way to fix it without taking it to the dealer?

I'll appreciate any suggestions you might have!!
  • bubasupbubasup Member Posts: 2
    went to look at a 1995 audi a6 quattro. looked and ran pretty good. one problem though was a huge puddle of water behind the driver's side seat and the area around the sunroof wasn't wet. so i cant think of what it might be.

if anyone knows of problems with leaks or what it might be i would greatly appreciate it.
    I just got my old lease detailed today. It looks awesome. Black w/ Black. The only problem I don't know what to do about is the Engine Check Light is staying on. The car has 51,000 miles. Is this a thing that happens at a particular mileage or is there some way I can shut the light off before I turn it back in to Audi? Any help would be appreciated. Is there a fuse I could pull out before they inspect it?
  • auditechauditech Member Posts: 16
    the sunroof switch IS a potentiometer - they go bad - replace it.
    I just broke 1,000 miles last night. Today, my Advanced Key won't start the car (at all). The engine stop button works fine. I noticed a few other posts regarding this problem. What did they do to fix your problem? Did it keep your car in the shop for more than a day?
    What did you do to resolve this problem. I am having problems with Advanced Key too. It won't start.
    I have been just driving without it until my 5000 mile oil change. They told me they needed to deal with Audi in germany (even though they knew how to fix it) on all cars within 6 months of delivery and they would need it for a few days---loaner car, etc.

On a different note, I just ordered the newiest Sony Erickson phone recommended by Audi to use the blue tooth and the $250 cradle. The Magnivox phone lent to me by the Cingular store only worked some of the time. Apparently Verizon does not work unless you go for those smart phones--no thanks
    Well, mine goes into the shop tomorrow to fix the advanced key problem. They told me they haven't had a problem with one yet. I wouldn't wait for 5,000 miles...I paid for it and I want it to work now. If they have to get me a rental car for a day or a week, either way, it will be fixed. I don't buy that story about dealing with Audi in Germany. If that's the case, get rid of mine and get me a new car. I am wondering if this happened to yours and mine, I wonder if there are a lot of people with the same thing happening. I'll let you know what happens.
    My 05 A6 is 1300 miles old and the smart key has never worked. I will be asking for a refund on the advance key if they do not fix it when I have my first 5000 service. Please let us know how it went with the service you will have Tuesday.

It will be me that speaks to Germany, not my dealer if they give me the wrong answer. Good luck!

:D
    Its true. The new emphasis of the Audi execs on improving quality requires all new car incidents to be reported to a group of Audi engineers to look for trends and try to improve quality. When I turned my car in for a cam seal leak, it was reported to the "higher powers" in Germany for FYI status to look for trends in other cars. I wouldn't be upset about it...I would appreciate the emphasis on improving the quality of these cars.
    Hey, I took my car in this morning. They had it the whole day. They told me there is a two part switch to the start button. It is enabling the electronics as far as the gauges when you push the button but not the second stage. They ordered me a new Start button and it will be installed tomorrow morning. I will pick up car tomorrow and we'll see if the problem is gone. I'll let you know. I would never accept coming back at 5,000 miles to get it fixed unless you were really close to your 5,000 mile service. Tell them you want it fixed ASAP.
    You have motivated me. I will set up a visit tomorrow.
    You said you were motivated...I got my car back this morning. IT WORKS AGAIN!!! They told me it was very simple...they installed a new switch. Funny how lazy I can be when I never had that feature on a car before but I did miss it once it was gone. Good luck with yours!!!
  • girllovesredgirllovesred Member Posts: 2
    I picked up my new Audi A6 tonight and while at the dealer, the Advance key worked intermittently. Since it was late and the service department was closed, they told me to bring it back in first thing tomorrow morning. In the meantime, at home, we played with it and found that if we opened the door, locked it, unlocked it, pressed Stop Engine key, pressed the Start key once, put foot on brake and hit Start key again, the car would start. But why go through all of that?? I will be at the dealer first thing in the morning. There is no way I would wait for the 5000 mile service! But after reading your message, I am assured they can do something for me and won't buy the excuse that they would have to call Audi in Germany!! Thanks.
    By the way, I hope you got a "Red" car!
  • newaudilovernewaudilover Member Posts: 23
    Has anybody had any problems with reception of radio stations in their 05 A6's? I find it odd that I live in a large metropolitan area and some of the radio stations on the "most recently used" screen will not allow me to select them because they have too week of a signal. I can go in and select it from my presets and the station comes in fine. I have made sure that the option to automatically detect and tune stations for the dynamic list is set to "distant" so I can't imagine what is going on other than a very week antenna. This does happen on more than one station at various times of the day.
  • jluthrajluthra Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2001 A6 2.8 also. I only had to put in oil at about 4100 miles once at about 44,000 miles. The AUDI service advisor told me this is normal for this car to burn some oil. I told him he was full of it and asked him why an AUDI that was rated top 10 by consumer reports would need to have oil added 4K after an oil change. Now I know why. I think i am going to buy the extended warranty before I reach 50K. I have 49.2 K miles now.
  • jluthrajluthra Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2.8 A6 and have 49.2K miles and warranty ends at 50K. Should I buy the warranty? Also, can anyone offer advice on what I should insist on getting replaced during the 50K service besides the serpentine belt? How about the timin belt. My brakes seem to be still in good shape as the dealer said you only need to replace when the light goes on? Is he yanking my chain? Should I get the brakes changed including the rotors?

Has anyone had any issues with their window going down and getting stuck. This was the one of two major problems I had but my dealer took care of it under warranty. I had to take it back again due to wind noise but the dealer in Houston fixed it. Other problem was the radio stopped working and the dealer also replaced when a new one arrived after 10 days. Other than these two problems, my A6 has been good to me.
  • girllovesredgirllovesred Member Posts: 2
    (No, I didn't get the red this time, I got the Oyster Pearl color). The Advance key problem was solved in 15 minutes. The technician did a computer scan and reset the key. He said it was in anti-theft mode due to all the times we tried to start the car successively. No problems now following their advice on how to start it: press halfway down on the Start key and all the dash lights appear, apply brake and then press the Start key again slowly all the way down.
  • khoeperkhoeper Member Posts: 1
    I've had similar problems over the past year. I had the tie rods replaced last year. In March I had the 'upper steering column' replaced ( under warranty ). Two weeks later I had various sensors replaced 800.00. Now I have a loud whining and grinding when I turn the wheel similar to the sound it made when I had the steering column problem only now it makes the sound just sitting in neutral without turning the wheel. I'm now told I need a new steering rack. ( 2300.00 ) I highly recommend getting rid of the car now if it's not showing any symptoms. My sound went away for 3 months and now it's back to the tune of 2300.00.